Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-01-2006, 09:45 AM   #2201
MIJB#19
Coordinator

I have a couple of questions:

Will we be able to punt in Maximum Football?
Is there unlimited substitution?
What about time-outs?
Are there Penalties?
Can we do lateral passes?
Go for the two points?
What about field goals?
Will the forward pass be in the game?
And most important: are NFL Europe rules supported?

So many questions...
MIJB#19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:46 AM   #2202
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
All joking aside, this is just a mind boggling decision.

Forget customization, onside kicks play an important role in football on almost any level. How can you possibly make a game without it, especially one that is supposed to have it all.

Good Lord. . .

I think the design doc looked something like this...

Teleporting players>copyright infringement>1st and 11.5>the rouge>17-point touchdowns>beer tent>offensive lineman wearing numbers in the 80s not blocking>onside kicks.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:47 AM   #2203
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIJB#19

What about time-outs?
Are there Penalties?
Go for the two points?
What about field goals?

So many questions...

ok bye
Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #2204
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord
It's absurd that anyone expects this to be anything but a debacle if it ever gets released.

Agreed there. I "shouldn't" be surprised. . . but I can't help myself.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 09:52 AM   #2205
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:

What about time-outs?
Are there Penalties?
Go for the two points?
What about field goals?

So many questions...

Ask that over on the Matrix Forums and see how quickly you are banned for being a loose cannon.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:03 AM   #2206
aran
High School Varsity

Quote:
Are there Penalties?

Actually, that IS a good question. If the field is 50 yards long, a 15 yard personal foul would be insane... especially when an "automatic first down" could ultimately be anywhere between 1 and 150 yards away. If the field is 150 yards long, a 15 yard personal foul would be maeningless.

PS: This thread is being submarined by people talking about the thread inside the thread. It's a strange form of egocentrism that i haven't seen in many forums. Patting yourself on the back for a good thread AS THE THREAD IS IN PROGRESS? weird.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:04 AM   #2207
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Maybe they'll have 10 yard penaties for "giving him the business".
Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 AM   #2208
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
PS: This thread is being submarined by people talking about the thread inside the thread. It's a strange form of egocentrism that i haven't seen in many forums. Patting yourself on the back for a good thread AS THE THREAD IS IN PROGRESS? weird.

Just as the presence of the M-F apologists adds to the greatness of the thread... so can the presence of existential doubters and circumspect critics who demean those who sing the thread's praises from within.

aran, you're actually making this thread better. Hope you can sleep at night.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #2209
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Actually, that IS a good question. If the field is 50 yards long, a 15 yard personal foul would be insane... especially when an "automatic first down" could ultimately be anywhere between 1 and 150 yards away. If the field is 150 yards long, a 15 yard personal foul would be maeningless.

Good point about the penalties.

This is one of the best threads of all time. Any board, any place, any time. In fact, I think this thread is so powerful it's ripped a hole in the universe. If Maximum Football doesn't come out soon to fill the hole, this could be the beginning of the end of time itself.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:20 AM   #2210
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch
Ask that over on the Matrix Forums and see how quickly you are banned for being a loose cannon.
Done, but with the field goal and forward pass questions left out.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #2211
st.cronin
General Manager

"Originally meant presumption toward the gods." Well, I suppose I could do a dissertation on this, but I'm almost positive that's incorrect. The word as I've seen it used in Sophocles and Homer almost invariably means "violent." I suppose there could be some underlying theological implication about that violence, but that seems like a real stretch. I'm in the library now, and may just do a little research.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #2212
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Done, but with the field goal and forward pass questions left out.

please be sure to post the response(s) over here

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:25 AM   #2213
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by posted today
Good news so far - the yardage issue seems to be fixed. We are going to bang on this build all day today to see if anything else broke during the fix. If we don't find any new critical issues, we'll move towards a release tomorrow.

Regards,

- Erik
Oh goody!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #2214
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Day off?!?!?!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #2215
MIJB#19
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
please be sure to post the response(s) over here
I need the rest of you all to do that for me, I'm offline for the next 15 hours.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:26 AM   #2216
SnDvls
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF
Forget customization, onside kicks play an important role in football on almost any level. How can you possibly make a game without it, especially one that is supposed to have it all.

You didn't read the fine print.

Maximum* Football

*except for some things that were left out.
SnDvls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:27 AM   #2217
rkmsuf
Head Coach

HAR!
--------------------------------------

RE: Release Info - 3/1/2006 4:26:58 PM

CPTBrown
Matrix Trooper

Status: online Good luck. I've been playing around with Playmaker Football after reading about it on the other thread, but the videos from MF have me checking this forum 10 times a day. Thanks in advance for emphasizing quality over all else.

CPT B
FLY ARMY!
Old 03-01-2006, 10:34 AM   #2218
wade moore
lolzcat

RE: Release Info - 3/1/2006 7:28:05 AM
David Winter
Matrix Elite Guard

It's 11:21 pm Vancouver time on the 28th of Feb. and I've just sent off a build to Matrix for evaluation.

I imagine they'll be hammering away looking for knock on bugs this time to make sure I've not introduced another 'yard line issue' (like the one that cropped up a few days ago).

I guess that's the word for now and we'll all find out tomorrow (Wednesday) what the next step is.

(in reply to rroberson)
Report | Post #: 170

Does it feel more and more like Daivd is not being a "team player" to you? That bothers me.. a lot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:37 AM   #2219
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade moore
RE: Release Info - 3/1/2006 7:28:05 AM
David Winter
Matrix Elite Guard

It's 11:21 pm Vancouver time on the 28th of Feb. and I've just sent off a build to Matrix for evaluation.

I imagine they'll be hammering away looking for knock on bugs this time to make sure I've not introduced another 'yard line issue' (like the one that cropped up a few days ago).

I guess that's the word for now and we'll all find out tomorrow (Wednesday) what the next step is.

(in reply to rroberson)
Report | Post #: 170

Does it feel more and more like Daivd is not being a "team player" to you? That bothers me.. a lot...

he is completely and totally choosing his words carefully, and subtlely making this a "me vs. them" situation.

"hey guys, the game is ready, it's those flippin' guys from Matrix that keep delaying things by being nitpicky".

Last edited by Anthony : 03-01-2006 at 10:37 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:39 AM   #2220
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hell Atlantic
he is completely and totally choosing his words carefully, and subtlely making this a "me vs. them" situation.

"hey guys, the game is ready, it's those flippin' guys from Matrix that keep delaying things by being nitpicky".

Exactly... and that just keeps adding to Daivd's laundry list of bad professionalism...

Quote:
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
Old 03-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #2221
Antmeister
Pro Starter

I hope at some point, Erik sees through this and just releases it as is. Unfortunately though, he won't be able to do that since a bug ridden game will give a bad image to Matrix (even though they seem to have a good track record with most of their games).
Old 03-01-2006, 10:41 AM   #2222
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I think he's also setting himself up for an out when the game sucks.

"Guys I know its bad. Trust me the first Gold Master build was great, but the Matrix guys kept forcing me to make changes and this is what happened."
Old 03-01-2006, 10:46 AM   #2223
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is not hubris, unless our wanton acts of violence are later punished by the gods, such as Maximum Football turns out to be the greatest football sim ever but we are all banned from the Matrix Web site and are unable to order it, or the constant needling of another sim designer prompts Jim to abandon football sims and dedicate Solecismic to the creation of cutting-edge curling sims. Then it's hubris. Hubris all over the place.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #2224
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
This is not hubris, unless our wanton acts of violence are later punished by the gods, such as Maximum Football turns out to be the greatest football sim ever but we are all banned from the Matrix Web site and are unable to order it, or the constant needling of another sim designer prompts Jim to abandon football sims and dedicate Solecismic to the creation of cutting-edge curling sims. Then it's hubris. Hubris all over the place.

Awesome.
QuikSand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #2225
TroyF
Coordinator

Poor Daivd. The world is against him.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #2226
wade moore
lolzcat

RE: Policy on Licensed Uniforms/Leagues - 3/1/2006 2:37:22 AM
Erik Rutins
Administrator

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bee
I understand, it was just my assumption the beta testers were in-house folks doing it on the clock. I don't think anyone would expect you to control anyone's life.

Understood - I agree it would be an issue if he were on our staff. However, most are volunteers that are generally fans of this and other games in the genre who have responded to our calls for testing volunteers. As such, they often get a head start on their independent mod or league work in their free time while they are helping us test, but we have no involvement in that.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development and Business Relations

(in reply to Bee)
Report | Post #: 47

This explains a LOT.

Quote:
Old 03-01-2006, 11:05 AM   #2227
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:31 AM   #2228
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Whew! I'm finally through all 45 pages. Awesome.

Regarding the original explanation of the yellowjackets logo thing, what bothers me the most about his explanation is that it simply doesn't make sense. What does the fact that he thought Georgia Tech's mascot was a bulldog have anything to do with the use of any logo that might be stolen? Who would have brought up a college at the time they showed him the logo, anyway? The whole college thing was brought up by someone here just a few days ago - so how could he have been confused about it back then, when the whole college logo thing didn't even exist? For all he knew, it was just a logo.

This particular issue and just the general circumstances of this debacle have me convinced that this guy is nothing more than an obfuscating motherfucker. And seeing as though I just went through hell getting one of those out of my professional life, I have personal knowledge of what people like this do. And this guy is the real deal. He may have had good intentions when he started, but he built up the hype over years and has spent the past couple of years making excuses for why the game isn't a reality through a bunch of half-truths and misleading statements. I've seen it before; hell, I lived with it for 5 years. This guy is a classic example of someone who is being crushed by the snowball he helped pushed down the side of the mountain that's gotten so big he can't stop it.

Bottom line is...he doesn't appear to deserve any sympathy from anyone for how this game is going to turn out - if it ever sees the light of day at all.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:43 AM   #2229
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Regarding the original explanation of the yellowjackets logo thing, what bothers me the most about his explanation is that it simply doesn't make sense. What does the fact that he thought Georgia Tech's mascot was a bulldog have anything to do with the use of any logo that might be stolen? Who would have brought up a college at the time they showed him the logo, anyway? The whole college thing was brought up by someone here just a few days ago - so how could he have been confused about it back then, when the whole college logo thing didn't even exist? For all he knew, it was just a logo.
See, that's the beauty of this whole experience. There are so many levels of enjoyment that there is something there for everyone. Some people marvel at the notion that a graphic artist was taking copyrighted works, changing the colors and reversing the image and passing it off as new work. Others like that copyright infringement appears to be frowned upon and encouraged simultaneously. Others get enjoyment out of people calling the yellowjacket a bee.

I like your take, because I can envision this conversation:

Artist: So, Dave, here are the logos and graphics you ordered.
Daivd: Excellent. I need a break. I've been working on the first down distance logic. Once that's finished, this game is done.
Artist: I hope you like this. I had to do a lot of research and Photoshop work to create an original set of graphics.
Daivd: These are great! The beer tent looks just how I envisioned it! Hmmm ... this bee looks familiar.
Artist: There are lots of bees out there. This one is very colorful though.
Daivd: I'd say it's the Georgia Tech logo, but their mascot is the Bulldog. Oh well, we'll plop these into the game and send the gold master off. There is nothing left do do. I'm done! Woo-hoo!
Old 03-01-2006, 11:44 AM   #2230
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcchief19
I like your take, because I can envision this conversation:

Artist: So, Dave, here are the logos and graphics you ordered.
Daivd: Excellent. I need a break. I've been working on the first down distance logic. Once that's finished, this game is done.
Artist: I hope you like this. I had to do a lot of research and Photoshop work to create an original set of graphics.
Daivd: These are great! The beer tent looks just how I envisioned it! Hmmm ... this bee looks familiar.
Artist: There are lots of bees out there. This one is very colorful though.
Daivd: I'd say it's the Georgia Tech logo, but their mascot is the Bulldog. Oh well, we'll plop these into the game and send the gold master off. There is nothing left do do. I'm done! Woo-hoo!

In envision the same thing except "Artist" is really in Daivd's head.
Old 03-01-2006, 11:48 AM   #2231
Bee
Pro Starter

Technically, it should be "Artest"
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:49 AM   #2232
John Galt
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee
Technically, it should be "Artest"

He can name his other personalities whatever he wants, but it doesn't mean I have to go along with it.

edit: Maybe Artist was the one married to Vicki.

Last edited by John Galt : 03-01-2006 at 11:49 AM.
John Galt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:51 AM   #2233
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Whew! I'm finally through all 45 pages. Awesome.

This particular issue and just the general circumstances of this debacle have me convinced that this guy is nothing more than an obfuscating motherfucker. And seeing as though I just went through hell getting one of those out of my professional life, I have personal knowledge of what people like this do. And this guy is the real deal. He may have had good intentions when he started, but he built up the hype over years and has spent the past couple of years making excuses for why the game isn't a reality through a bunch of half-truths and misleading statements. I've seen it before; hell, I lived with it for 5 years. This guy is a classic example of someone who is being crushed by the snowball he helped pushed down the side of the mountain that's gotten so big he can't stop it.

Bottom line is...he doesn't appear to deserve any sympathy from anyone for how this game is going to turn out - if it ever sees the light of day at all.

has Battlecruiser 3000 been mentioned yet?
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:53 AM   #2234
rkmsuf
Head Coach

"This thread is so fucking hot...If you agree just look at me and say yes."

Old 03-01-2006, 11:58 AM   #2235
digamma
Torchbearer

It's taken me 45 pages to come to the realization that customizability actually means customizing the rules of your league to match the features present in the game.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:02 PM   #2236
Anthony
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt
In envision the same thing except "Artist" is really in Daivd's head.

Velma: "And so, the real identiy of the Artist is none other than....Daivd Winters".

dun dun DUNNNNN

Daivd: "And i would have got away with it too, if it wasn't for you pesky kids!"
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 PM   #2237
rkmsuf
Head Coach

they gave velma ample sweater meat
Old 03-01-2006, 12:04 PM   #2238
kcchief19
Pro Starter

Zoinks!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:08 PM   #2239
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

HA: This thread is dead and your post isn't funny.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:09 PM   #2240
Schmidty
Coordinator

I still think this thread is ridiculous, but Antmeister's song was unbelievably funny. Some of the photoshops are great too.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:11 PM   #2241
SunDevil
College Prospect

Sounds like someone has sand in their vagina...
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:12 PM   #2242
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Sounds like someone has sand in their vagina...

What does that sound like? Is it a moist crunchy sound, or a muffled scratchy sound?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:13 PM   #2243
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

The sand in my bubblegum cracks like a spoonful of ants.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #2244
1stAnd10
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggyra
And you still don't think this will be the best game ever?

Is there anyway I can get this picture without the box art in it or tell me where you go it from. I love her.

Last edited by 1stAnd10 : 03-01-2006 at 12:15 PM.
1stAnd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:19 PM   #2245
rkmsuf
Head Coach

Hey, that's Vicki!
Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #2246
SunDevil
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stAnd10
Is there anyway I can get this picture without the box art in it or tell me where you go it from. I love her.

Nothing like Maximum Football bringing people together.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 PM   #2247
moriarty
College Starter

Quote:

I agree the whole Bulldog excuse was pure crap. I also like how in the interview on gamespy he says he has a wife Vicki, but in the maximum forums his wife is named Jennifer. I mean how do you get that wrong unless you're just making stuff up. The six months "common-law" thing by Jennifer doesn't really fly with me either.

Frankly I don't care if he's married, has three wives or not ... just seems like more of a pattern of pathological truth evasiveness.
moriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:22 PM   #2248
1stAnd10
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Nothing like Maximum Football bringing people together.

Maybe MF will lead me to make 1 good purchase.
1stAnd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:24 PM   #2249
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkmsuf
Hey, that's Vicki!

W00T!
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #2250
SunDevil
College Prospect

Look at this way. If this game ever gets released someone can release mod so we can have the first ever Pron bowl.