Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #2201
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Yes kindergarten next year. I figure we did pay them for March and totally understandable that nobody saw anything happening this quickly and would never expect a refund. Mine is for April and May which I am 99.9% certain will not happen.

In you situation I would just cancel depending on the contract in place. If April and May don't happen, and you don't need the spots next year whats the point. Maybe a couple weeks in June? Doesn't seem worth it.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 AM   #2202
spleen1015
Coordinator

'Nature is taking back Venice': wildlife returns to tourist-free city | Environment | The Guardian
Old 03-23-2020, 10:27 AM   #2203
Flasch186
Coordinator

The idea that the Federal Govt isn't the ONLY buyer and then distributing the PPE and such is criminal. They've literally created a desperate buyer pool for limited supplies and the American People are going to die because of it. There are so many things occurring that are just baffling and scream of incompetence that I might have to take it to the other thread. I used to think that no American would die based on the incompetence of ouur politicians yet I was proven wrong again similarly to when I thought we'd hit a bottom of our morality...wrong again.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:35 AM   #2204
Arles
Grey Dog Software

We are struggling with how to handle refunds for Little League. It looks like we won't have a season (we are still holding onto a 1% chance we can have the playoffs in May/June). We charged $150 a kid, but already gave our full personalized uniforms (around $45 a kid) and played about 5 weeks of practices/games (had to pay for fields, etc). In the event we have to cancel the season, we are trying to figure out how to handle this. One board member thinks we shouldn't do anything (no refunds since they played for 1 month+). Another wants to move the season to the fall (that's a no from me as I am off this summer and don't want to be roped in another year - plus a big chunk of kids play club/other sports which makes allowances in the spring, but not the fall).

My thinking is we figure expenses (probably $45 a kid for unis, prorate the field and other expenses to this point - prob $30-35 a kid) and then give back as much as we can as a refund. My guess would be around $70-75. What do you guys think? Giving that big of a refund would make things pretty tight going into next year, but I'm not sure it is fair to not refund a family if they paid $300 for two kids to play baseball from Feb-May and they only got 5 weeks.

Last edited by Arles : 03-23-2020 at 10:35 AM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:36 AM   #2205
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Partial refund seems like the best option.

Have parents pay for what was consumed, and they get the rest back.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:37 AM   #2206
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
The idea that the Federal Govt isn't the ONLY buyer and then distributing the PPE and such is criminal. They've literally created a desperate buyer pool for limited supplies and the American People are going to die because of it. There are so many things occurring that are just baffling and scream of incompetence that I might have to take it to the other thread. I used to think that no American would die based on the incompetence of ouur politicians yet I was proven wrong again similarly to when I thought we'd hit a bottom of our morality...wrong again.

It's worse than incompetence. We know companies have lobbied the WH not to use it and we know that states and cities are bidding up the prices in order to get what's available.

It's all about companies making more profits.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #2207
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post

+1

This seems to be the most sensible option. Probably still causes outrage, because people are going to people, but yeah.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #2208
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I basically support this. I'd be willing to be transparent on what was spent and what needs to be in place for the coming year and then give back the rest.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #2209
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
I basically support this. I'd be willing to be transparent on what was spent and what needs to be in place for the coming year and then give back the rest.
Yeah, this is almost exactly what I said. We just break down how we came up with the refund calculation. As one guy said, we can't give $50,000 in refunds if we only have $30,000.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #2210
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:

Old 03-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #2211
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Partial seems fair...and I'm guessing that might be what I can expect when our flag league is cancelled. Maybe with our family camp/vacation in June as well.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:48 AM   #2212
Ben E Lou

Our kids' soccer league played one game before the shutdown. They've closed until 4/1 and the last communication was that they'd try to condense the season (multiple games per weekend) into April and early May. I, uh, don't see that happening.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:01 AM   #2213
bob
College Starter

Lots of organizations struggling with the idea of refunds. See airlines but another one I've heard of is concert tickets. Shows are postponed, not cancelled, with people being told once dates are rescheduled they can either keep the ticket or get a refund. But very very few shows are actually being rescheduled so money is being held hostage.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #2214
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Surgeon General still talking about containment. And also about other needed things like people not staying at home and taking the outbreak seriously, but I just don't see how someone can look at the current situation and still be thinking containment is a viable option. I thought it was a week and a half ago, and I was probably already wrong then, but now? New York alone proves that isn't a thing.
Brian Swartz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #2215
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Klobuchars husband positive and in the hospital.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:21 AM   #2216
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Surgeon General still talking about containment. And also about other needed things like people not staying at home and taking the outbreak seriously, but I just don't see how someone can look at the current situation and still be thinking containment is a viable option. I thought it was a week and a half ago, and I was probably already wrong then, but now? New York alone proves that isn't a thing.

Most of the country isn't in the position of NYC. Containment in, for example, my hometown in rural Ohio is absolutely still possible.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:24 AM   #2217
spleen1015
Coordinator

Take this for what it is worth.

The CEO of my company is one of the CEOs that have been invited to the WH during all of this, travel & leisure industry.

It has been said that he has informed our leadership to expect a federal government stay at home order to come out before Wednesday. So, work on providing folks with the means to work from home as quickly as possible, as much as possible.

I heard this from someone outside of IT who says their VP has told them this.

So, who knows how much is true.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 03-23-2020 at 11:24 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #2218
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips
Containment in, for example, my hometown in rural Ohio is absolutely still possible.

I doubt very much it's possible in most big cities. Containment in the broader picture is gone. In certain areas such as you describe? Sure. But we've never had enough testing available for long enough to get to the point of even knowing how big the problem actually is, which means it's far worse than the number of cases tell us. Not an issue for me as I live in a rural area, but that's not most of the people in the country.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:29 AM   #2219
Poli
FOFC Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Our kids' soccer league played one game before the shutdown. They've closed until 4/1 and the last communication was that they'd try to condense the season (multiple games per weekend) into April and early May. I, uh, don't see that happening.

Flag ball is trying something similar out here...and I mean, come on.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:50 AM   #2220
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
I doubt very much it's possible in most big cities. Containment in the broader picture is gone. In certain areas such as you describe? Sure. But we've never had enough testing available for long enough to get to the point of even knowing how big the problem actually is, which means it's far worse than the number of cases tell us. Not an issue for me as I live in a rural area, but that's not most of the people in the country.

Yeah, urban areas are tough. We'll need different strategies for different areas. Unfortunately, the President and the GOP seem to be moving to a herd immunity idea that will get a lot of people killed.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #2221
Ben E Lou

NC schools closed through May 15th now. Many businesses closed through May 15th as well.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:18 PM   #2222
larrymcg421
Head Coach

I can't imagine any schools are going to re-open for this semester. Fulton County is suggesting April 13, but that seems crazy now.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 PM   #2223
Ben E Lou

Quote:
NC schools closed through May 15th now. Many businesses closed through May 15th as well.
Per same presser: "don't use day care if you don't have to, but they can remain open."
Old 03-23-2020, 12:23 PM   #2224
Ironhead
College Prospect

When I was talking to my wife last night I realized that she was under the impression that the purpose of social distancing was to cause the virus to die out and then regular life would resume as normal. When I explained that what is happening now is just to slow the spread of the virus and make sure we don't overwhelm the healthcare system but that we are going to be dealing with this virus in some fashion for the foreseeable future she seemed devastated. And she is someone who has taken this very seriously.

It got me thinking - what percentage of Americans right now really understand the purpose of social distancing? Do people really understand that we are "flattening the curve" and just trying to space out or stagger the number of people who get sick or are they expecting to emerge from their homes in a month or two and have the virus completely gone?
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:28 PM   #2225
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
It got me thinking - what percentage of Americans right now really understand the purpose of social distancing? Do people really understand that we are "flattening the curve" and just trying to space out or stagger the number of people who get sick or are they expecting to emerge from their homes in a month or two and have the virus completely gone?

I bet it's the latter. Most folks probably think after 4-8 weeks everything will be exactly the same. I think it's slowly dawning on folks that it's to keep the healthcare system from collapsing and we are going to be dealing with some restrictions for a while (like maybe in May or June we can go back to gatherings of 50 or less and gradually move up from there).

I do wonder if this will have a permanent change in how we greet one another. Some East Asian countries already are not that fond of 'touch' greetings - whether that's hugs or handshakes. I am curious to see if that's the direction we go into.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 03-23-2020 at 12:28 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:38 PM   #2226
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

My impression is also that a lot of people don't get it. Some do, as well, but for example one guy at work was wanting us to host a pancake breakfast for people. Came from a good place, but when we explained you can't have more than five people in at a time, have to be six feet apart, he was like 'oh nobody really cares about that'.

And then you have the beach stuff and whatnot. So there's a significant number at least who really don't get it, and I think it's going to be a hard blow to them when they realize what's really happening. I increasingly feel guilty for how good I have it. Will probably be going to give blood this week as that's something that is coming under pressure and it looks like I won't be working, but I have a relative who is also my landlord and is suspending my limited rent payments indefinitely, some savings, supportive family structure, etc.

Can't stop thinking about the fact that so many don't have that, are oblivious, and aside from obviously praying I can't do a darned thing to help them.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 03-23-2020 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:43 PM   #2227
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

I hope it was worth it, you fucking morons.

Florida college students test positive for coronavirus after going on spring break
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 12:57 PM   #2228
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

The thing that really pisses me off if they won't grasp how their actions have now put other people in jeopardy.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:58 PM   #2229
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Olympics postponed indefinitely, which was inevitable.

drip, drip, drip.
Old 03-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #2230
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
The thing that really pisses me off if they won't grasp how their actions have now put other people in jeopardy.
When parents send their kids to Spring Break, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Some of them, I suppose, are good people.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 03-23-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:00 PM   #2231
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I think a lot of it is also that people think they will just get mild symptoms and they'll tough through it like any disease. Only, it's pretty clear that healthy adults can get hit hard enough by this to have to go to the ER. And I think people are really in denial about that.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #2232
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
When parents send their kids to Spring Break, they're not sending their best. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. Some of them, I suppose, are good people.

lol
Old 03-23-2020, 01:01 PM   #2233
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #2234
spleen1015
Coordinator

Every thought I have about spring break goes back to MTV in the 90s. I've never made a spring break trip and I feel like the only people that do are fucking idiots.

I've never been much of a partier though.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #2235
Arles
Grey Dog Software

I still wonder if some people had COVID-19 back in February. I know a few people close to us (including my wife) had pretty brutal cases of the flu that took them out of commission for 4-5 days in late Feb. It would be nice if we could eventually come up with a way to see if we had it or currently carry it.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #2236
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
We are struggling with how to handle refunds for Little League. It looks like we won't have a season (we are still holding onto a 1% chance we can have the playoffs in May/June). We charged $150 a kid, but already gave our full personalized uniforms (around $45 a kid) and played about 5 weeks of practices/games (had to pay for fields, etc). In the event we have to cancel the season, we are trying to figure out how to handle this. One board member thinks we shouldn't do anything (no refunds since they played for 1 month+). Another wants to move the season to the fall (that's a no from me as I am off this summer and don't want to be roped in another year - plus a big chunk of kids play club/other sports which makes allowances in the spring, but not the fall).

My thinking is we figure expenses (probably $45 a kid for unis, prorate the field and other expenses to this point - prob $30-35 a kid) and then give back as much as we can as a refund. My guess would be around $70-75. What do you guys think? Giving that big of a refund would make things pretty tight going into next year, but I'm not sure it is fair to not refund a family if they paid $300 for two kids to play baseball from Feb-May and they only got 5 weeks.

I think partial refunds is fair. But I say be honest and explain everything you just said to us to them. Be clear with how you got the number.

Also maybe make a note that this is a non-profit (assuming you are) and that money will be extremely tight going into next season. That if there are any parents who don't wish to receive a refund, the money will be put toward the league moving forward. I think a lot of parents would be OK with that.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #2237
spleen1015
Coordinator

We went to Dave and Busters on Christmas Eve for a birthday party.

Of the 8 people that went, 6 of us got sick as hell with what we thought was the flu. All of the Covid symptoms. The 2 grandparents, over 65 both had it worse than the rest of us. The 21 year old and 16 year old are the 2 who didn't get sick.

I was down for 6 days, my wife down for 10.

The other 2 adults that were there swear we all got it then. I doubt it but you never know I guess.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:19 PM   #2238
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My 4th graders weekly writing assignment is

Do you prefer to stay home on the weekends or go out and do things around town. Write an essay to convince your parents to do whatever you prefer this weekend

solid troll job Ms. J. Well played.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:22 PM   #2239
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My 4th graders weekly writing assignment is

Do you prefer to stay home on the weekends or go out and do things around town. Write an essay to convince your parents to do whatever you prefer this weekend

solid troll job Ms. J. Well played.

Honestly, that would piss me off. I would write an email to her and cc the vice/principal and let your/my displeasure known.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:23 PM   #2240
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
We went to Dave and Busters on Christmas Eve for a birthday party.

Of the 8 people that went, 6 of us got sick as hell with what we thought was the flu. All of the Covid symptoms. The 2 grandparents, over 65 both had it worse than the rest of us. The 21 year old and 16 year old are the 2 who didn't get sick.

I was down for 6 days, my wife down for 10.

The other 2 adults that were there swear we all got it then. I doubt it but you never know I guess.

Congrats, you are immune now. Go party !!
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #2241
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I imagine there will be a time where you can get tested for antibodies (maybe even now if they're using serum). If you find out you have them, that's probably a huge relief.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:30 PM   #2242
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Utah Dem Ben McAdams hospitalized and on oxygen.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #2243
Jas_lov
College Starter

I saw McAdams on one of the news shows a couple days ago. He's only 45 and seemed in good health. One of the myths is that it only affects old people so that's one reason the Spring Breakers think they're immune.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:39 PM   #2244
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Congrats, you are immune now. Go party !!

I imagine there would actually be tremendous benefit. Volunteering, being able to work if you couldnt before, etc...
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:41 PM   #2245
bob
College Starter

That's assuming catching it once means you can't catch it again. Not sure if that is established.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:42 PM   #2246
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
That's assuming catching it once means you can't catch it again. Not sure if that is established.

Agree though most of the scientests seem to think that is the case. Viral load would be a concern though I suppose like the healthy doctors who die from it.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:47 PM   #2247
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Hahahahaha!!!
Old 03-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #2248
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Honestly, that would piss me off. I would write an email to her and cc the vice/principal and let your/my displeasure known.

My guess is it was already part of whatever they would have been doing in class and no one thought to change it. I’m sure they were under tremendous pressure to get the packets out. My son and I actually had a nice moment of levity over it, which was good because this morning he had a full on melt down.
Old 03-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #2249
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Wondering out loud as a hypochondriac myself... I wonder what the hospitalization numbers would look like if this were an unknown disease. For example 3 months ago I get a bad cold and what I think is bronchitis and unknowingly lug it out at home vs now if I get diagnosed with COVID19. Negliable number or significant?
Old 03-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #2250
AlexB
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
I still wonder if some people had COVID-19 back in February. I know a few people close to us (including my wife) had pretty brutal cases of the flu that took them out of commission for 4-5 days in late Feb. It would be nice if we could eventually come up with a way to see if we had it or currently carry it.

I know we’re working on an antibodies test that apparently only takes 10 minutes for a result, which will do exactly that.

Will really expand our knowledge of the number and severity of cases: if lots of people have had it and didn’t realise, that’s good news...
AlexB is offline   Reply With Quote