Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-26-2012, 01:35 PM   #2201
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Sandusky started Second Mile, right?

Has there been any mention of him setting it up just so that he would have access to more victims? Just something that occurred to me. WTF?!
At this point, I think that's pretty much the assumption.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #2202
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Sandusky started Second Mile, right?

Has there been any mention of him setting it up just so that he would have access to more victims? Just something that occurred to me. WTF?!

this theory has been thrown around quite alot out here. way back before the trial even started.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:54 PM   #2203
bronconick
College Starter

I think the only speculation left at this point was whether all those rich boosters donated there for the tax write off or for more vomit worthy reasons.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #2204
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

I like how after coming out the image for the guy is a grey silhouette, and they have Jay Paterno as part of their staff.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #2205
Ben E Lou

Quote:
So, do ANY of these go to trial? It seems like PSU is going to want to keep these out of the public eye as much as they can. There have GOT to be more victims out there. I just don't see PSU wanting to have 20-30 trials keeping this in the headlines for the next 5 years. Is this a situation where everyone with a semi-credible claim of being abused gets a check from PSU?

"Can we verify that he was alone with Jerry at any time between 2001 and 2011?"

"We can?"

"{Sigh} Ok. Cut him a check."
Heh. Sounds like that's about it:

Penn State "Adequately Covered" For Impending Civil Suits
Old 07-28-2012, 02:53 PM   #2206
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Did they ever find any of the victims from the 60s/70s/80s? Like was mentioned, 50 year olds don't start this behavior.

Would be interesting if the Feds could somehow RICO the 2nd mile as a pedo exchange. I can't believe Jerry is the only one...wouldn't shock me if it explodes at some point again as a story.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 02:58 PM   #2207
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Did they ever find any of the victims from the 60s/70s/80s? Like was mentioned, 50 year olds don't start this behavior.

Would be interesting if the Feds could somehow RICO the 2nd mile as a pedo exchange. I can't believe Jerry is the only one...wouldn't shock me if it explodes at some point again as a story.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if there are a lot more PSU powerful involved. A few trustees, etc.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #2208
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

At least we know where those donations are going to.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #2209
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:

Penn State president: School is covered for lawsuits – USATODAY.com

Quote:
Penn State's general liability insurer sought last week to deny or limit coverage for Sandusky-related claims. Pennsylvania Manufacturers' Association Insurance argued that Penn State withheld key information needed to assess risk.
In a memo filed in court in Philadelphia, the company argued that Penn State failed to disclose that it had information about Sandusky that "was material to the insurable risk assumed by PMA." The company, which has long insured the university, also argued that its policies after March 1, 1992, were amended to exclude "abuse or molestation" and that coverage for such behavior is excluded as a matter of public policy in Pennsylvania.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:01 PM   #2210
Ben E Lou

And Now The Paterno Family Is Appealing The NCAA Sanctions Themselves
Old 08-03-2012, 04:02 PM   #2211
Ben E Lou

Heh...and the apologists hold a giant mutual jerk-off session over it: BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards
Old 08-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #2212
Ben E Lou

{giggle}
I just went Old Testament on Joe Paterno's family. Will post link ASAP.
— Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelCBS) August 3, 2012

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-03-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM   #2213
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

I kind of wish the NCAA went, "OK, you want your appeal? We'll do a full investigation and those penalties including no football for 4-5 years that you got to bargain out of are back on the table. Do you wish to continue?"
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #2214
MrBug708
Head Coach

You do realize that the Paterno family doesnt speak for PSU, right?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:10 PM   #2215
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

They don't care about the death penalty, they just want Daddy's wins back.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #2216
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
You do realize that the Paterno family doesnt speak for PSU, right?

The thing is...they seem to think that they do.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:50 PM   #2217
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
They don't care about the death penalty, they just want Daddy's wins back.

This. They don't give 2 shits about PSU. They just want JoePa's good name and stats restored.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #2218
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This. They don't give 2 shits about PSU. They just want JoePa's good name and stats restored.

you left out the rest of the sentence "so they can profit financially from it."
Old 08-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #2219
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

I actually heard an opinion - as far-fetched as this sounds - that the PSU brass may actually be in some way happy that things have come down as they have (tarnishing Paterno) because it serves to cut any influence the Paternos may have had post-Joe. That they're actually a bit relieved to actually get their university back.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #2220
spleen1015
Coordinator

How long do you think Paterno was the man in charge there? Is there anyone left who knows what it felt like before he was in control?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM   #2221
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

Exactly. There's no way what I was proposing would happen. It would just be funny to have happen and then NCAA either find more dirt, or keep it at the same level while piling on more sanctions. The Paterno family is trying to find the innocent JoePa that's in their mind and yet he never existed in the first place.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:39 AM   #2222
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
{giggle}
I just went Old Testament on Joe Paterno's family. Will post link ASAP.
— Gregg Doyel (@GreggDoyelCBS) August 3, 2012
I'd be more excited if it were something written by someone other than that serious douchebag Doyel...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:23 AM   #2223
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I actually heard an opinion - as far-fetched as this sounds - that the PSU brass may actually be in some way happy that things have come down as they have (tarnishing Paterno) because it serves to cut any influence the Paternos may have had post-Joe. That they're actually a bit relieved to actually get their university back.

This. Many times over the past decade, PSU tried to get Paterno to step aside gracefully or retire. After he refused, PSU relented over the fallout that would have resulted, much of it probably fueled by the media.

The crazies are and will always be out there, but it would have been a lot worse getting rid of Paterno if the media were on Paterno's side.

Last edited by RedKingGold : 08-04-2012 at 08:24 AM.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:03 AM   #2224
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Inside the secret negotiations that brought Penn State football to the brink of extinction - ESPN
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:34 AM   #2225
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
"Mark Emmert showed himself to be a sanctimonious hypocrite," says Anthony Lubrano, a trustee who joined the board in July and is an unabashed Paterno supporter. "Joe Paterno had more integrity in his little finger than Emmert has in his whole body."
Gee, this sure sounds like the kind of attitude that should be on the Board of Trustees for PSU...
Old 08-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #2226
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Now the Board of Trustees is filing an appeal.

Penn State Nittany Lions -- Trustees to file appeal, federal lawsuit upon denial - ESPN
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:03 PM   #2227
Logan
Head Coach

Wasn't there an article a week or so ago where they said they were not going to proceed with an appeal?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #2228
tarcone
Coordinator

So, on this appeal, if PsU loses the appeal can the NCAA give them the death penalty for thumbing their nose at the NCAA after making a sweetheart deal with PsU?
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #2229
molson
General Manager

Every once in the while in the criminal appellate world a criminal appeals his sentence, it gets vacated, and then he ends up in front of another judge where he gets a harsher sentence than what he started with. If it turns out Erickson didn't have legal authority to do what he did and negotiations start out again from scratch, there's no guarantee Penn St. gets a deal this good. The NCAA probably can't "punish" Penn St. for appealing (certainly a court couldn't, to use that comparison), but that doesn't mean the NCAA is bound by the prior agreement that was vacated - new evidence could come to light, new people could be involved in the negotiations.

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2012 at 03:09 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #2230
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So, on this appeal, if PsU loses the appeal can the NCAA give them the death penalty for thumbing their nose at the NCAA after making a sweetheart deal with PsU?

I would imagine so - read some of the pieces on what went down - it sounds like they were told that if they fought the NCAA they'd get a 4-year death penalty. Hoping to see that smacked down on them.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2231
Subby
lolzcat

In a perfect world, Paterno gets his wins back and the program gets the four year death penalty. Maybe it's possible?
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:13 PM   #2232
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Every once in the while in the criminal appellate world a criminal appeals his sentence, it gets vacated, and then he ends up in front of another judge where he gets a harsher sentence than what he started with. If it turns out Erickson didn't have legal authority to do what he did and negotiations start out again from scratch, there's no guarantee Penn St. gets a deal this good. The NCAA probably can't "punish" Penn St. for appealing (certainly a court couldn't, to use that comparison), but that doesn't mean the NCAA is bound by the prior agreement that was vacated - new evidence could come to light, new people could be involved in the negotiations.

North Carolina v. Pearce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no idea what the rules are regarding NCAA punishments after a successful appeal.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #2233
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
In a perfect world, Paterno gets his wins back and the program gets the four year death penalty. Maybe it's possible?

I doubt Paterno ever gets his wins back. Since he is dead the NCAA needs a way to punish him, plus I would imagine they don't want him on top of the all time wins list.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:23 PM   #2234
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
North Carolina v. Pearce - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have no idea what the rules are regarding NCAA punishments after a successful appeal.

Right, a court can't be "vindictive", but that doesn't mean the sentence/penalty necessarily has to be the same or lower. There still are "considerations that may properly justify an increased sentence" (like new information coming to light.) Sometimes defendants plead guilty early to keep that information from coming to light. They don't necessarily get the benefit of that later if they successfully challenge their sentence. I would imagine a private organization would have even more leeway, as the defendant probably would have to show actual retaliation for their exercise of rights. If the penn st. president and the NCAA skipped over the normal process, and now are forced to proceed under the normal process, with completely different people involved, I believe they can come to a different conclusion on penalties if they're not specifically retaliating (though Penn St. would surely sue them for retaliation if their penalty was more harsh, and realistically, it's much more likely the NCAA just caves and gives a lesser penalty than face any lawsuit.).

Last edited by molson : 08-06-2012 at 03:31 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:25 PM   #2235
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

In a perfect world, Sandusky would have been arrested and prosecuted when the first victim came forward.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:26 PM   #2236
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In a perfect world, the program gets the four year death penalty. Maybe it's possible?

Fixed. There's no way in hell the NCAA is giving him back those wins.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #2237
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
In a perfect world, Sandusky would have been shot dead after just starting to abuse his first kid - after there was removal of any doubt that that's what he was doing, but before the kid was subjected to it (if we're preculding the sci-fi answer of "aborted as a fetus after a brain-scan revealed his predisposition to sexually abuse kids").

Fixed for you.

No mercy for molesters. None. Not an ounce.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-06-2012 at 03:29 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #2238
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
In a perfect world, Sandusky would have been arrested and prosecuted when the first victim came forward.
In a perfect world, he never would have raped those kids!

PERFECT WORLD ONE-UPSMANSHIP SCORE

Subby 1 Cartman 0
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #2239
Chubby
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
In a perfect world, he never would kept his mouth shut while his buddy knowingly raped those kids!

Subby -1 Cartman 0

fixed
Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:11 PM   #2240
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
In a perfect world, he never would have raped those kids!

Subby 1 Cartman 0

In a perfect world, Eve never would have taken a bite of the apple.

BOOM!

Cartman +∞ Subby -∞
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #2241
Subby
lolzcat

GODDAMMIT!

Old 08-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #2242
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

It's 4 members of the board. I'm not sure this is going to go anywhere. Unless it's an actual move by PSU's Board, this is just private citizens who will eventually try to file a lawsuit over an agreement made by the NCAA and PSU. They shouldn't have standing. IIRC, a bunch of businessmen and other tried to sue the NCAA over the SMU death penalty and all got tossed out of court due to lack of standing.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:31 PM   #2243
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It's 4 members of the board. I'm not sure this is going to go anywhere. Unless it's an actual move by PSU's Board, this is just private citizens who will eventually try to file a lawsuit over an agreement made by the NCAA and PSU. They shouldn't have standing. IIRC, a bunch of businessmen and other tried to sue the NCAA over the SMU death penalty and all got tossed out of court due to lack of standing.

Yeah, I think this is just some board members trying to make the students think they're doing all they can to fight the sanctions. The reality is they probably know their case has no chance of going anywhere.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #2244
fortheglory
Mascot

In a perfect world, Tom Corbett and Ray Gricar would have filed charges in the beginning.
fortheglory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:51 AM   #2245
Nemesis
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
In a perfect world, Evolution wins.

BOOM!

Nemesis +∞ Cartman -∞ Subby -∞

Fixed again.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #2246
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Former Penn State Nittany Lions players intend to appeal NCAA sanctions - ESPN

A group of former Penn State players, led by former quarterback Michael Robinson, has notified the NCAA that it intends to appeal the harsh sanctions placed upon the football program for the Jerry Sandusky child sex abuse scandal.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:09 AM   #2247
Kodos
Resident Alien

Okay, then. You may have the death penalty instead.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #2248
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Okay, then. You may have the death penalty instead.

That's my hope!

And honestly, not even because I hate Penn State or think it will fix anything that happened in the past or anything...it's just like...I want to see it happen and see the destruction it causes. It's like watching a car crash - horrible but you can't look away, ya know?

And I think it would certainly adjust the culture there in PSU-land to where it should be.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 08-08-2012 at 10:13 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #2249
Kodos
Resident Alien

There definitely seems to be a set of people who are more concerned about the football team than the welfare of these kids. That's what led to all of this in the first place.
Old 08-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #2250
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

For the sake of argument, let's say that somehow all of this backfires, the NCAA has the stones to follow-through and Penn State gets the death penalty for multiple seasons. Does the Big Ten then boot them? If so, who do they grab? Would they be cold enough to select Pitt to replace them?