Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-16-2006, 08:38 PM   #2201
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

RPI's right. Late goals happen all the time until you truely have great defenders on your team. I'm playing a career with Everton and it took me about 4 years before I got a truely solid backline where I don't worry much about letting in late goals. But until then, it's just part of the game.
Old 06-16-2006, 08:51 PM   #2202
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

finally doing some tactical tinkering and thinking about switching from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 so that I can get all 3 of my top-class strikers on the pitch at once (Robinho, Mirko Vucinic, Rafael Sobis). Otherwise I have to rotate and one of Sobis/Vucinic inevitably gets left out. I think I may actually be able to pull off a 4-3-3 because I have Lucas on my team, who wonderfully is a DM/AMC. And with a hybrid like that and some solid play on the wings, it could be possible.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:09 PM   #2203
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
finally doing some tactical tinkering and thinking about switching from a 4-4-2 to a 4-3-3 so that I can get all 3 of my top-class strikers on the pitch at once (Robinho, Mirko Vucinic, Rafael Sobis). Otherwise I have to rotate and one of Sobis/Vucinic inevitably gets left out. I think I may actually be able to pull off a 4-3-3 because I have Lucas on my team, who wonderfully is a DM/AMC. And with a hybrid like that and some solid play on the wings, it could be possible.

My problem is kind of the opposite of you. I have four or five competent box-to-box midfielders (three that I would call very good or better). I don't know how to play them all at the same time. I should run all over opposition midfields.

I'm thinking about playing a 5-3-2 where I let the outside defenders push up a bit. But I think that the three central midfielders can create enough offense to make that lack of wing attack work.
Old 06-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #2204
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
My problem is kind of the opposite of you. I have four or five competent box-to-box midfielders (three that I would call very good or better). I don't know how to play them all at the same time. I should run all over opposition midfields.

I'm thinking about playing a 5-3-2 where I let the outside defenders push up a bit. But I think that the three central midfielders can create enough offense to make that lack of wing attack work.

why not a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 (if you have a striker who can finish for those box-to-box guys?)
Old 06-16-2006, 09:15 PM   #2205
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo
why not a 3-5-2 or a 4-5-1 (if you have a striker who can finish for those box-to-box guys?)

3-5-2: Wing defense is exposed too much (I am deep with CD's and my central defenders are very good athletically, but not smart enough to cover 1/3 of the back line I've found). This is also why I like the 5-3-2. Wing defense is fine and my trees in central defense can do their thing.

4-5-1: I may do this. I have a few "strikers du jour" who are capabable of getting hot quite easily. This would also ease injury issues (which I seem to always have a lot of).

I'll look into these in the pre-season and report back. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-16-2006, 09:18 PM   #2206
tanglewood
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan

Could play with three centrebacks, a DM who sits in front of them (foward runs to rarely, defensive mentality, maximum pressing), two wingbacks who don't necesarily have a lot of defensive responsibility, two box-to-box mids (one good way to get this I've discovered is to have them on a slightly defensive mentality, but with forward runs to often and an arrow dragging them right up to the striker) and two strikers. You may need a big man/little man combo in order to have someone hold the ball up whilst midfield support gets to them, but if your box-to-box guys are quick enough and good enough passers you shouldn't need to worry. The big problem will be width in when you are attacking, if you are too narrow it can be very difficult to breakdown opposing defences, so your wingbacks will need to get forward very often. Fortunatley with a permenantly sitting DM and 3 DCs it isn't as much of a problem if they don't get back. You also need to make sure your centrehalves are good in the air, as they'll have to defend against a lot of crosses.
tanglewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:56 PM   #2207
aran
High School Varsity

A couple quick questions:

Is there a way to see the average level of talent of teams in your league without going team-by-team through everyone? I'm having trouble figuring out how to gauge how my team should be doing against league competition. Mark's little guide says League One teams (I'm playing Blackpool) should have talent whose main attributes are above 10. Almost all of my players have their main attributes above 10s, but my Asst. Manager says we're probably going to get relegated unless we have a "heavy" infusion of talent.

How many coaches should I have? Right now I only have one who is all 10 or below. Not too great. I hired another whose 10+ overall and I'm looking to pick up another who's good with defenders.

I haven't started playing through the season yet. We lost our first friendly to Man City (in the premiership) 2-0. It wasn't a horrible game for us. Our keeper made a number of strong saves and our defense wasn't too full of holes. We just couldn't manage to get down the pitch without quickly losing the ball. I changed to a counterattacking 4-4-2 at the half and that seemed to improve things a little, but it still wasn't satisfactory.

Last edited by aran : 06-16-2006 at 09:58 PM.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #2208
fflix
Mascot

I plan on giving FM2006 a try even though I'm a football neophyte. I have a few questions before I get started.

What's a good level to start at? A 2nd level European league?

Does the FM hints and tips document provide enough info on tactics, positions, attributes, etc? Are there any other good sources to read?

How are tournaments like world cup handled? Can you coach the national team? Does the world cup occur if you are only siming a few countries?
fflix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 PM   #2209
Galaril
Pro Starter

All the strategy questions on formations is very interesting. Does anyone of any sites that go into detail about the dfifernt formations and the like strategy for them? Or a book on it maybe?
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:38 PM   #2210
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

A) I pick a good mid level team in a top league

B) Marc's guide is very good, the next step would be to experiment

C) World Cup is handled very nicely

D) Yes, you can coach any team with a mininium of like 210 players in the database (and usually, top players of all nations are loaded no matter what you play)

E) The World Cup will happen with grey players if needed, but qualifying among the regions and WC will be handled normally no matter what
Old 06-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #2211
aran
High School Varsity

This game is fun so far. I've only put a few hours in, but I think I'm starting to get hooked. Played my second friendly against a team in the Championship League. We gave them a hell of a game. It would've been at 1-1 draw if not for my AML jumping offsides... Damn you, Prendergast!

At around the 60th minute I got sick of not scoring and changed my tactic a bit. I put an AMC in place of one of my defenders, had my two DMs drop back to help with defense and had the AMC, R, and L push to help my two STs. Got a few great oppurtunities in the first ten minutes, then the shock wore off and things settled down. The defense had too many holes in that formation. I'll probably stick to a 4-4-2 for now.

I'm gaining confidence bit by bit, but I still feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:23 AM   #2212
Havok
College Starter

well i see one thing hasn't changed in FM.... 4 months into my first season and i have 7 guys injuried. And no my training schedule isn't to hard.

besides that im enjoying it.

Edit - thats 7 of a total of 22 first team players, so roughly 1/3 of my team is injuried.

Last edited by Havok : 06-17-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #2213
aran
High School Varsity

I have four players injured on my squad and we haven't even gotten out of friendlies yet.

Two were injured to begin with, though.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:54 AM   #2214
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Maybe you should train them more in the pre-season to up their Natural Fitness rating.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:47 AM   #2215
jbmagic
Pro Starter

How does FM 2006 handle MLS Leagues?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:30 AM   #2216
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
A couple quick questions:

Is there a way to see the average level of talent of teams in your league without going team-by-team through everyone? I'm having trouble figuring out how to gauge how my team should be doing against league competition. Mark's little guide says League One teams (I'm playing Blackpool) should have talent whose main attributes are above 10. Almost all of my players have their main attributes above 10s, but my Asst. Manager says we're probably going to get relegated unless we have a "heavy" infusion of talent.

How many coaches should I have? Right now I only have one who is all 10 or below. Not too great. I hired another whose 10+ overall and I'm looking to pick up another who's good with defenders.

I haven't started playing through the season yet. We lost our first friendly to Man City (in the premiership) 2-0. It wasn't a horrible game for us. Our keeper made a number of strong saves and our defense wasn't too full of holes. We just couldn't manage to get down the pitch without quickly losing the ball. I changed to a counterattacking 4-4-2 at the half and that seemed to improve things a little, but it still wasn't satisfactory.

That blurb that your AM gives is broken in this version of FM. Even for teams stacked with talent he says that, so don't worry about his comment there.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #2217
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Marc, THANK YOU FOR THIS GAME.

Liver-who?

My lowly Gillingham squad has risen from League One to the Championship over the past year. We were undermanned, 5 of our First 11 were injured, and we were headed to a match-up against the FA Cup holders Liverpool in the 4th round. We were long shots... but... we managed to find ourselves with a 2-1 lead, and Liverpool just kept on hammering and hammering and hammering at our goal. Our 37 year old newly acquired GK just kept denying goal after goal after goal!!!!

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/2835/gilpool8fy.jpg

GIANT KILLERS ARE WE! WHOOO!

(needless to say I was fist-pumping in jubilation for about 2 minutes.)

I love this game.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:16 AM   #2218
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
How does FM 2006 handle MLS Leagues?

That's a very vague question. To try to answer, FM 2006 handles MLS just like all the other leagues, but using MLS rules.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 06-17-2006 at 08:16 AM.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #2219
jbmagic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
That's a very vague question. To try to answer, FM 2006 handles MLS just like all the other leagues, but using MLS rules.

I meant does FM 2006 handle MLS 2006 well or does it need more work on it?
Any flaws with the MLS leagues?
jbmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #2220
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos
Our 37 year old newly acquired GK just kept denying goal after goal after goal!!!!

Awesome. How many shots on target did he save?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:12 PM   #2221
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos

What skin is that? It looks nice.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 PM   #2222
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie
C) World Cup is handled very nicely

Yeah, it is handled nicely, but it could be better.

The World Cup draw is handled badly, it should have a few more media things and it should be live, not just a news item telling you who's in your group. There are no pre-World Cup friendly matches, there are no slots for friendlies after march, so you don't get the friendlies in the weeks before the World Cup. There's no preliminary squad, no reserves and having to make late changes, you just name your squad the week before the World Cup. And, to round out my griping, there are no squad numbers in the World Cup in the game.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:38 PM   #2223
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
The World Cup draw is handled badly

Could you elaborate on that?
sovereignstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #2224
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignstar
Could you elaborate on that?

Hopefully I've not been missing something, but all I get in a news item telling me who is in my group, none of the live draw with the groups being drawn as you watch like you get for most of the cup competitions.

Champions League is the same, just a news item with the teams in your group instead of a draw you can watch.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:43 PM   #2225
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Okay, I don't know why I asked that. You explained it in your post. I thought you meant the teams weren't being grouped very well or something.

Edit: And those interactive draws are cool, so that's too bad if that's the case. Unfortunately, my first career didn't make it past April/May.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-17-2006 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:45 PM   #2226
MrBug708
Head Coach

Ya, there arent enough friendly's played in the game. In a non tiournament year, you play...9 if your lucky?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 07:50 PM   #2227
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Having just played through a European Championship timeframe, I agree with the sentiments about international play. Its fun, but there is almost zero feeling of really being immersed in it. Picking some players leading into the tournaments almost feels like a guessing game since you've gone about 3 months without a match.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 01:51 AM   #2228
vyshka
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmagic
I meant does FM 2006 handle MLS 2006 well or does it need more work on it?
Any flaws with the MLS leagues?

The game is fine, it is the MLS that is broken. What's with this draft stuff and
the league owning the players??

People have been playing MLS teams so it seems to be okay in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Having just played through a European Championship timeframe, I agree with the sentiments about international play. Its fun, but there is almost zero feeling of really being immersed in it. Picking some players leading into the tournaments almost feels like a guessing game since you've gone about 3 months without a match.

I liked someone's idea a few pages back of going to games and evaluating potential team members.
That should give something to do in the time between national team games.

Last edited by vyshka : 06-18-2006 at 01:53 AM.
vyshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #2229
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critch
What skin is that? It looks nice.

Hellenic
Old 06-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #2230
Easy Mac

I'm enjoying my MLS career, but its a bit frustrating. Before the season you must get to 28 players, no more. This pretty much ends any chance of trying to develop a lot of players. Makes it a little harder and lends itself to more transfers to fill holes during the season.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:34 AM   #2231
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood
Been watching the World Cup much? Late goals happen all the time.

Just saw a stat during the Croatia/Japan Game: 23 of 61 goals scored after the 76th minute.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:33 PM   #2232
Easy Mac

Bug?

I just won the Western Conference in MLS to make the MLS finals. In my history, it already says I've won the MLS championship, and the game hasn't been played yet.

Its also frustrating that 3 of my players got called up to international sides on the same day as the MLS Finals. Surely they wouldn't be picked by their national side at that time, or they at least wouldn't report.
Old 06-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #2233
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Mac
Bug?

I just won the Western Conference in MLS to make the MLS finals. In my history, it already says I've won the MLS championship, and the game hasn't been played yet.

Its also frustrating that 3 of my players got called up to international sides on the same day as the MLS Finals. Surely they wouldn't be picked by their national side at that time, or they at least wouldn't report.

depends on what the national team competition is i would think. would i skip the MLS Finals for the WC? Sure. If my place on the national side was on the bubble for a qualifier...sure. For a friendly...not so much
Old 06-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #2234
Easy Mac

All these guys had been in 10+ matches fopr their international side and were all starters. It's in November.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:19 PM   #2235
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

so it was just an international friendly?
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #2236
Passacaglia
Coordinator

If it's a friendly, don't you have an option to prohibit them from playing for their national team?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:45 PM   #2237
Easy Mac

Two were European qualifiers (their teams were both in last and had no chance). The other was some African thing, not a tourney though. Even so, you'd think they'd understand its the championship game for my team in the league. And I ended up losing 3-0 without them, with the guys replacing them putting up a 5-6-6.

Still, to start the next season, I'm in the CONCACAF Champion's Cup. I pull out a 2-1 come from behind win in the home leg after telling my boys they're playing for pride after a lackluster first half. In the return match I go in the half down 2-0. I tell them its ok and we can strike back (encourage maybe?). We strike back in the 80th minute after my starting strikers have gone our for injuries (one had 23 goals and 14 assists last season and the other was 15 and 8) and I'm throwing the kitchen sink at Saprissa. So we do 30 minutes of extra time for a winner. I decide WTF and keep pressing for a goal. 99th minute my boy strikes again in his first match for the club and I take my foot off the gas. I switch to all defense all the time and all the time wasting I can find.

I held the lead, but the thing that bothered me was that I was getting chance after chance when I switched to a defensive style. Now maybe my opponent was just tired, but I've noticed teams get more chances with defensive styles than offensive styles. I mean I told my boys to sit on it, but we took 8 shots in the last 6 minutes (and missed them all) I really don't want risking any counter in that situation, ya know.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #2238
Easy Mac

dola,
Do regens still happen in the game, or is it all new players created as the years go on. I ask because I just missed out on a 16 year old American who was unsigned (and wasn't in the draft). He has a picture now, but he has no history, which tells me he hasn't been on a side. However, his favorite club is Yeovil, which seems odd for a 16 year old American kid.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:15 PM   #2239
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

Quote:
He has a picture now

Does he look like a giant dork?
Old 06-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #2240
Easy Mac

he looks like a soccer player
Old 06-19-2006, 07:00 AM   #2241
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I held the lead, but the thing that bothered me was that I was getting chance after chance when I switched to a defensive style. Now maybe my opponent was just tired, but I've noticed teams get more chances with defensive styles than offensive styles. I mean I told my boys to sit on it, but we took 8 shots in the last 6 minutes (and missed them all) I really don't want risking any counter in that situation, ya know.

There are some who theorize that putting the team mentality on defensive does not necessarily mean they play defensively as we might think about it. After more than 800 games, I'm persuaded by their argument that the team mentality slider functions to locate a player's circle on the tactics board. Normal leaves it where it is, defensive pulls it back and offensive moves it forward (even if you can't see the circle move on the board itself).

The individual mentality slider functions to dictate how a player will pass the ball. Normal will mean passes predominantly forward and back, defensive means passes predominantly back, attacking means passes predominantly forward.

Again, this is all conjecture from a few dedicated tacticians at the FM board, but I'm convinced in looking at how my team plays that this is how these sliders function. YMMV.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:59 AM   #2242
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab
There are some who theorize that putting the team mentality on defensive does not necessarily mean they play defensively as we might think about it. After more than 800 games, I'm persuaded by their argument that the team mentality slider functions to locate a player's circle on the tactics board. Normal leaves it where it is, defensive pulls it back and offensive moves it forward (even if you can't see the circle move on the board itself).

The individual mentality slider functions to dictate how a player will pass the ball. Normal will mean passes predominantly forward and back, defensive means passes predominantly back, attacking means passes predominantly forward.

Again, this is all conjecture from a few dedicated tacticians at the FM board, but I'm convinced in looking at how my team plays that this is how these sliders function. YMMV.

I have the same assumption, based on how I've played.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #2243
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaxab

Actually, the team mentality slider does mean that your team will try to retain more possesion, on top of playing deeper on the field. I normally play with my team mentality on defensive (usually like 6 or 7 clicks from the left). The only players that have their own settings are my centre backs and defensive midfielder, which are always on 5. Those three players stay on 5 the whole game, meanwhile, I will adjust the team mentality of my other players according to how the game is going. So yes, even my striker's mentality is set on defensive.

So when the team is set on defensive they will definitely tend to knock it around the back line more to retain possesion, but in saying that, my team consistently leads the league in goals scored year in and year out. In fact, my striker led the EPL in goals scored this season with 30.

But, when my team is down in the 2nd half I will often move the slider to attacking and I can definitely see a difference in the types of passes my team will play as more of them are played forward and my team will take more chances. But the quality of passes and/or scoring chances definitely goes down.

So basically the mentality slider is really about how often your team attempts to pass/move forward as opposed to passing it sideways or backwards and waiting for quality opportunity to attack. But yet, with a defensive setting your team can still rack up a lot of scoring chances.

Last edited by MikeVick7 : 06-19-2006 at 08:07 AM.
MikeVick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:03 AM   #2244
Karim
College Starter

How are you guys using Creative Freedom? I really only let players with >16 in Technique, First Touch, Passing, Creativity, Decisions, Anticipation and Flair have any sort of creative freedom. As such, only one player on my team fits the bill. Even then, he sometimes makes boneheaded plays like a cross the width of the field while he's running toward his own goal line with a defender pressing him.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:52 AM   #2245
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

You live by the sword, you die by the sword.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:20 PM   #2246
Karim
College Starter

More questions, not worthy of starting a separate thread:

1) Is there any way to view your home/road w/l/t gf/ga record? All I can find is recent home/road form.

2) Is there any way to view the top career goalscorer for each nation? All I can find is the most capped individual.

Thanks.

Last edited by Karim : 06-19-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #2247
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
More questions, not worthy of starting a separate thread:

1) Is there any way to view your home/road w/l/t gf/ga record? All I can find is recent home/road form.

2) Is there any way to view the top career goalscorer for each nation? All I can find is the most capped individual.

Thanks.

1) - Yes, it's a choice in the drop down menu when looking at the actual table. Right next to "year," but I'm not sure what it's called.

2) Are you talking about the top scorer for each league or the top scorer for differing nations in the same league?
Old 06-19-2006, 04:31 PM   #2248
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
2) Are you talking about the top scorer for each league or the top scorer for differing nations in the same league?

All-time internationally. Where could I find say, the record for most career international goals by a German international?

Last edited by Karim : 06-19-2006 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 04:50 PM   #2249
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Poor Wales

2012 European Championship Qualifying Playoff

They fall to my French team (hey I don't want to stay there forever but they hired me after Portugal let me go) 14-0 on aggregate. OUCH
Old 06-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #2250
sovereignstar
Pro Starter

I beat a team in the 1st round of the Gatorade Cup (Dutch) 12-0 with my 2nd division team yesterday. I knew I was facing a bad team, but god damn. I kept on thinking that I would be accused for lack of professionalism after the game. There wasn't much I could do though besides switching to a defensive formation and using all my subs. Seven different players scored goals and my two strikers notched 4 and 3.

Edit: In fact, I was getting annoyed at how long the game was taking because the key opportunities just didn't end. I believe we took 32 shots and 25+ were on target.

Last edited by sovereignstar : 06-19-2006 at 05:07 PM.