Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-26-2022, 01:10 PM   #22401
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

With temperatures dipping down into the negatives here I don't understand why global warming is a bad thing.
Old 01-26-2022, 04:19 PM   #22402
cuervo72
Head Coach

Also, the Long Roofing woman who is "fourth-generation family." How does that work? Is she four generations old? Did her family spontaneously generate five generations ago?
Old 01-26-2022, 06:37 PM   #22403
CarterNMA
Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If we're on commercials again, I'll c/p other random thoughts I shared in the (mostly defunct) FOxL Slack semi-recently:

I've long wanted to yell about that "First Day of My Life" song and so, so many other commercials. But realized it would out me as someone who watches way too much TV. Guess that cat is out of the bag, eh?

With the National Floors woman, I think it's that you only see her upper teeth. All of them. Maybe?

And the worst commercial of all time? (Fair warning! Don't click the Spoiler button if you want to sleep tonight!

Spoiler
CarterNMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 06:41 PM   #22404
cuervo72
Head Coach

gahhhhh I left that out for a reason
Old 01-27-2022, 01:00 AM   #22405
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
If we're on commercials again, I'll c/p other random thoughts I shared in the (mostly defunct) FOxL Slack semi-recently:

Speaking of commercials and Slack, whose bright idea was it to put the Slack notification noise in their commercial? It gives me a heart attack every time I've got the volume cranked up watching football and I'm trying to get snacks or some shit and then the fucking Slack noise screams at me from the other room and I slide into a work panic for like half a second.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 02:29 PM   #22406
sabotai
General Manager

Going to be buying a Condo soon. Got my W2, did the pre-approval thing, and now I play the waiting game. Been looking on Zillow just about every day for the last 3 months and can count on one hand how many times I saw a good one in any of the areas I'm looking to move to come on the market. And prices have shot up over the last year.

I have terrible timing.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:56 AM   #22407
spleen1015
Coordinator

ATMs are shit these days.

Please select your language.
You selected English. Are you sure?
Would you like a balance inquiry?
You selected no you don't want a balance inquiry. Are you sure?
Would you like a receipt?
You selected no you don't want a receipt. Are you sure?
What type of transaction?
You selected withdraw. Are you sure?
Which account would you like to withdraw from?
You selected checking. Are you sure?
How much money would you like to withdraw?
You entered $1,000,000. Are you sure?

What happened to:
Enter PIN
Select checking
Enter amount
Would you like a receipt?

Just give me my money man!
Old 01-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #22408
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My banks ATM is super easy. Enter password, hit fast cash preset amount, get money.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:48 AM   #22409
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I visit an ATM about 3 times a year these days.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:18 AM   #22410
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Our 20yo microwave crapped out yesterday. We could just go the simple replacement route - find one that's about the same size, same trim kit, and be done. But while we're doing this - we figure we should check if there's something better. However, we haven't bought a microwave in years so we're not sure if there are any bells and whistles worth getting or if we should just go the cheap route.

It was one of those built "into the wall" with a trim kit so we're kindof stuck with the same size one we had before (1.1-1.5 cu ft) unless we wanted to go carve up our walls for a larger one (we don't). So we're a bit limited - no snagging some super fancy 2 cu ft one that can double as a second oven or whatever. But are there any new cool features that are worth the cost that we don't know? Or things we should definitely make sure to get/watch out for?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 01-28-2022 at 09:18 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #22411
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

I recently had to replace our microwave and did a bunch of research and the overwhelming answers to that question were:

1. No, they're basically all the same, and a big part of the reason is that they're all basically made in the same factory in China.

2. You should also have a toaster oven because today's models can do a lot of stuff you used to do in a microwave, but a lot better (e.g. reheating anything that you want to come out crispy).
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 09:43 AM   #22412
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

My older son had his bar mitzvah this summer and got a lot of cash as a result. At the same time, we had set him up with his own bank account.

I deposited all his checks via mobile banking (Fidelity) but was left with a pile of cash. Instead of figuring out how to deposit that, I just transferred the amount from our checking account to his new account and kept the cash in my wallet.

Given how infrequently I use cash (basically once a month for my cash-only barber), I may not need to take out cash again until the heat death of the universe.
Old 01-28-2022, 09:47 AM   #22413
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
I recently had to replace our microwave and did a bunch of research and the overwhelming answers to that question were:

1. No, they're basically all the same, and a big part of the reason is that they're all basically made in the same factory in China.

2. You should also have a toaster oven because today's models can do a lot of stuff you used to do in a microwave, but a lot better (e.g. reheating anything that you want to come out crispy).

Yeah, we already have a little countertop toaster oven and it's really useful. I wouldn't mind getting a larger one but the one we have works for now and there's the whole counter space issue.

SI

Old 01-28-2022, 09:54 AM   #22414
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, there's so many potential permutations. Some of the bigger toaster ovens can basically replace your traditional convection oven for 90% of your likely oven uses. But now there are half-height conventional ovens with convection that use less power and heat up faster, meaning that having a toaster oven would be redundant.

Old 01-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #22415
Ksyrup

Quote:
My older son had his bar mitzvah this summer and got a lot of cash as a result. At the same time, we had set him up with his own bank account.

I deposited all his checks via mobile banking (Fidelity) but was left with a pile of cash. Instead of figuring out how to deposit that, I just transferred the amount from our checking account to his new account and kept the cash in my wallet.

Given how infrequently I use cash (basically once a month for my cash-only barber), I may not need to take out cash again until the heat death of the universe.

We do the same. I once won a "biggest loser" competition in my office and got about $800 and we didn't use the ATM for about 18 months.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #22416
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

We pay our cleaning lady in cash so I have to go once a week or so.
Old 01-28-2022, 12:43 PM   #22417
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

My Dad is Jewish and my mom isn't so I was not raised Jewish. I was always jealous of my cousins, etc...on my dads side who had bar mitzvahs because I knew they were going to get piles of cash.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:34 PM   #22418
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Is there anyone who actually enjoys pooping in public?
Old 01-28-2022, 05:47 PM   #22419
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

My son? He likes going to every public bathroom he can find, though mainly just peeing. I figure it's some 6yo exploration or marking-his-territory thing.

SI

Old 01-28-2022, 06:48 PM   #22420
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

CrimsonFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 06:49 PM   #22421
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:

only in ritzy places that can afford nice toilet paper
Old 01-29-2022, 03:16 PM   #22422
bhlloy
Coordinator

JFC I hate Best Buy right now. Bought an outdoor TV from them for the Super Bowl, came obviously as a refurb with the inner box open, no remote or manual and won't actually turn on... I can get it to flicker the start screen and then it just dies.

Oh, and after waiting for an hour for chat support they told me it won't even show up as delivered in their system until 24 hours so they can't start a refund/replacement until then. We went with Best Buy over Amazon for this but the next time I hear a brick and mortar store complain about people using Amazon I think I'll remember this absolute shit show.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 04:22 PM   #22423
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Hell yeah! The faces on other people are priceless.
Old 01-29-2022, 07:09 PM   #22424
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
JFC I hate Best Buy right now. Bought an outdoor TV from them for the Super Bowl, came obviously as a refurb with the inner box open, no remote or manual and won't actually turn on... I can get it to flicker the start screen and then it just dies.

Oh, and after waiting for an hour for chat support they told me it won't even show up as delivered in their system until 24 hours so they can't start a refund/replacement until then. We went with Best Buy over Amazon for this but the next time I hear a brick and mortar store complain about people using Amazon I think I'll remember this absolute shit show.

I had a problem with a TV I bought from them a while back. I was able to return it to the brick and mortar store but it was a pain.
Old 01-29-2022, 08:32 PM   #22425
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I hate people who bring dogs to hotels.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2022, 09:08 PM   #22426
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I hate people who bring dogs to hotels.

Corollary: As someone with allergies, I wish Airbnb had a "not pet friendly" filter

SI

Old 01-30-2022, 08:48 PM   #22427
cuervo72
Head Coach

Didn't want to muddle other threads but...are there that many people still buying/listening to Neil Young or Joni Mitchell? I mean, not on vinyl?
Old 02-01-2022, 12:43 PM   #22428
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

With all the talk of music streaming services, I thought it was funny that in the end, Napster is the one musicians are getting the biggest cut from.

RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #22429
Ksyrup

I honestly had no idea Napster still existed. But I buy all my music, so I don't know much about streaming.

Assuming I can still make use of my MP3s in 30 years, I'll be happy not to have to search streaming sites for all the unknown stuff I want to listen to - or have multiple accounts because of exclusive rights.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:49 PM   #22430
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Assuming I can still make use of my MP3s in 30 years, I'll be happy not to have to search streaming sites for all the unknown stuff I want to listen to - or have multiple accounts because of exclusive rights.

This. I have a bunch of CDs, upstairs, sure, but I'm listening to it all digitally as mp3s. I have it in iTunes because of inertia but I could put it on a number of different platforms or apps.

Movies? Nope. Just maddening.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 02-01-2022 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-01-2022, 10:27 PM   #22431
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

The other thing interesting about her tweet is that you definitely can use Apple Music on Android. And, in fact, the Android version has some features the Apple one doesn't (like crossfade).
Old 02-01-2022, 10:43 PM   #22432
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think Napster is just a rebranded Rhapsody.

I am guessing the rights aren't the same for all the artists. If you own the Beatles catalog, why would you bother with some of those?
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:05 PM   #22433
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I need to get a dental implant for a tooth that cracked. Is there a market price on this or is it just paying the dentist whatever they say. I have some insurance but dental insurance is iffy on how much they're going to pay.

Last edited by stevew : 02-01-2022 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #22434
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
I need to get a dental implant for a tooth that cracked. Is there a market price on this or is it just paying the dentist whatever they say. I have some insurance but dental insurance is iffy on how much they're going to pay.

I had one done recently and the total cost out of pocket for me approached 5K
Old 02-02-2022, 06:07 AM   #22435
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Sitting in the doctors office waiting for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. The worst part is over but now I’m wondering if they use the same camera for my mouth and anus.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:44 AM   #22436
Ksyrup

When my tooth finally fell apart and had to be replaced, I think it cost me about $500 with a Delta Dental plan.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:07 AM   #22437
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They quoted me a mess of stuff that was like 6K total. I see stuff like “dental implants 2K” on ads but I have no idea how real that price is. Cosmetically it’s not even in the front or visible unless I’m smiling so I don’t need it done immediately.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:11 AM   #22438
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:

My dad needed a bunch of work done, and it was going to be somewhere in the $25k range. Several crowns, bridges, implants, and some other stuff. He did some research, and found a dentist group in Puerto Vallarta that was US trained. He took a couple of weeks and went down for some dental tourism. Cost around $5k there.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 09:52 AM   #22439
CrimsonFox
Head Coach

Quote:
Sitting in the doctors office waiting for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. The worst part is over but now I’m wondering if they use the same camera for my mouth and anus.

I just pooped in a bucket and mailed the poop
Old 02-02-2022, 10:55 AM   #22440
Ksyrup

The colonoscopy is worth it, IMO. Doc was able to examine the small intestines and found a mild case of ileitis, which is essentially Crohns Disease. Would never have found it unless I had the colonoscopy. Fortunately, there was nothing of greater concern.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 02-02-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:11 PM   #22441
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

Don't worry, they wash it.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #22442
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Or at least spit on it and rub it on their shirt.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 02:37 PM   #22443
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post

Order is important.
Old 02-02-2022, 02:44 PM   #22444
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I wonder how many anuses that camera has been in.
Old 02-02-2022, 03:09 PM   #22445
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I wonder how many anuses that camera has been in.

I had that thought as well. I was also looking around the waiting room thinking, all these people are waiting to have a camera put up their ass.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:12 PM   #22446
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I had that thought as well. I was also looking around the waiting room thinking, all these people are waiting to have a camera put up their ass.

TECHNOLOGY!

SI

Old 02-03-2022, 11:51 AM   #22447
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

you should have done an acting job when you walked though the lobby. Like hobbled out of there with your hands on your hips like you just sat on a broom.
Old 02-03-2022, 11:54 AM   #22448
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
you should have done an acting job when you walked though the lobby. Like hobbled out of there with your hands on your hips like you just sat on a broom.

I was blasted out of my mind on anesthesia.
Old 02-03-2022, 12:30 PM   #22449
Ksyrup

Wimp! I did it with no anesthesia. Talked to the doc the whole time, watched it on the screen. Of course, I'll admit that the nurse kinda tricked me into not getting the anesthesia by indirectly challenging my manhood. But it honestly wasn't that bad. Tad uncomfortable at times but nothing I'd call painful. More weird than anything.
Old 02-04-2022, 11:34 AM   #22450
cuervo72
Head Coach

Been taping Celebrity Wheel of Fortune. Yeah, I know, but it's decent filler for days when my brain is fried and I can't deal with Jeopardy! and don't feel like watching reruns of Raymond.

Watched the episode with Tori Spelling last night. Yikes.