Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 04-07-2011, 10:40 PM   #2151
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
North Carolina State AD Debbie Yow accuses Maryland Terrapins coach Gary Williams of 'sabotage' - ESPN

If you're going to publicly accuse someone of "sabotaging" your coaching search, doesn't it become your job to cite examples? :P She does not look good here at all imo.

edit: I'll go as far as to say that the first person that comes to mind with this kind of thing is Al Davis, that is just not a good thing

She can't as that would ruin her credibility even more and kill other opportunities with coaches she may want to hire in the future. I'm sure she got told exactly what happened by someone she interviewed. That coach before hand called up Gary wanting to know exactly how she was before they interviewed with her. Gary straight shot with whoever called him up and then that coach disclosed it within the interview with her.

She then leaked it to a person that writes nationally so she doesn't publicly have to use that coaches name and then it looks like a giant jumbled mess.

I still think she looks like an idiot because she showed her cards trying to take another few jabs at Gary before going down in flames. Thats just my take though.

Last edited by muns : 04-07-2011 at 10:41 PM.
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:46 PM   #2152
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
According to some insider info I received today:

1) Dave Rice is 99.999% certain to be the next UNLV head coach. That's not a surprise.

What is interesting is this:

2) Rice is going to try to get Larry Johnson and Ed O'Bannon on his staff, which will open up significant recruiting opportunities, particularly O'Bannon with the LA market.

Note, I'm not saying these are guarantees. I'm saying this is what the actors involved are shooting for.

I love these "we'll get x former player to be an assistant coach" rumors. Here's the reality. Being an assistant college basketball coach is a brutal job. It's a lot of thankless work. Traveling from high school gym to high school gym. Working all hours to recruit. Not fun. Particularly for Grandmama. Maybe O'Bannon would be up for it, as he's been grinding as a used car salesman, but it isn't like you just show up to an LA high school, say you're Ed O'Bannon and kids commit. The guy at Nevada or Utah or even UCLA who slept in his car and has been at every pick up game the kid has ever played is going to outwork you. Most big time former players aren't into putting in that kind of work.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:27 AM   #2153
MrBug708
Head Coach

I believe O'Bannon has been working as a coach at a local high school and has been trying to break into college coaching. No idea what his connections are in LA anymore though other than a few places
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #2154
DataKing
Pro Rookie

No surprise at all about the Morris twins leaving. Their stock won't get much higher than it is after the seasons they had. The folks in Lawrence trying to convince themselves they would stay were just fooling themselves.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:56 AM   #2155
MrBug708
Head Coach

Apparently Lavs has cancer so I wish him a speedy recovery
Old 04-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #2156
Izulde
Head Coach

UNLV decision delayed until at least Sunday, with a Monday press conference.

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:21 PM   #2157
Butter
Coordinator

Sunday? Well the BYU guy is out.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:38 PM   #2158
Izulde
Head Coach

I'm sure y'all have it seen already, but Dave Rice was indeed the hire, which I'm glad for. I'd changed my mind on who I wanted after various conversations I'd had over the last week.

Latest assistant rumors are Stacey Augmon and Justin Houston from SDSU. Houston is apparently an excellent West recruiter, though I know nothing about assistants so I can't say anything as to the truth of it.

We'll see what kind of staff comes in. I'm actually starting to get a bit excited about recruiting and next season now.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #2159
TroyF
Coordinator

I'm browsing ESPN today and saw an article on Frank Martin with him addressing the rumors. I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach BEG to be contacted without actually uttering the words as much as I saw him doing it in the article. I think it's safe to say that if Miami gives him a call, he's leaving Wlidcats.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:47 PM   #2160
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I'm browsing ESPN today and saw an article on Frank Martin with him addressing the rumors. I'm not sure I've ever heard a coach BEG to be contacted without actually uttering the words as much as I saw him doing it in the article. I think it's safe to say that if Miami gives him a call, he's leaving Wlidcats.
Yeah, pretty clear that Martin would love that job and was saying so as best he could without coming right out and saying it directly. I mean, clarifying his salary situation?
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #2161
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, pretty clear that Martin would love that job and was saying so as best he could without coming right out and saying it directly. I mean, clarifying his salary situation?

That's what got me. "they probably think I make 1.55, but I actually make 1.1. Sure, I'd make 1.55 if I stayed the length of the contract and hit all of my bonuses, but I want to make sure everyone knows I make 1.1 now, not 1.55. I've also had tons of family and friends tell me I should go to Miami and return home. I love it at KSU, but I'll listen to all offers. I've never had any options but to be at KState this year. Of course I always wanted to stay at KState too. Oh, and I've never chased a job. Never. Ever. Ever. Miami, PLEASE CALL ME AND GET ME OUT OF THIS HELL HOLE, K THNKS, BYE"

Just a bizarre interview. If I'm the KState AD, I'm looking at other options right now. I'm not waiting for Miami (or anyone else) to give him a call.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:22 PM   #2162
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
If I'm the KState AD, I'm looking at other options right now. I'm not waiting for Miami (or anyone else) to give him a call.
Tough call. I see where you're coming from, but it's entirely possible the KSU AD is fully aware that Martin covets the Miami job and, while probably not happy about it, understands it. I mean, I think anyone can understand why it would appeal to Martin. The bigger question is if he has a wandering eye period, or if it's just this particular circumstance.

If I'm the KSU AD, I'm doing my best to get the pulse of the donors and fanbase and how they feel about Martin's obvious flirting with the Miami job. It's quite possible that they are happy enough with the job he's done that they're willing to give him some latitude. Now, if he starting winking at the NC State job, that would probably be a different story...
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #2163
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Tough call. I see where you're coming from, but it's entirely possible the KSU AD is fully aware that Martin covets the Miami job and, while probably not happy about it, understands it. I mean, I think anyone can understand why it would appeal to Martin. The bigger question is if he has a wandering eye period, or if it's just this particular circumstance.

If I'm the KSU AD, I'm doing my best to get the pulse of the donors and fanbase and how they feel about Martin's obvious flirting with the Miami job. It's quite possible that they are happy enough with the job he's done that they're willing to give him some latitude. Now, if he starting winking at the NC State job, that would probably be a different story...

I'm not saying to outright fire him ----- yet. I just think I'd get my shortlist together and get ready because if Miami calls he's going to ditch them in about 2.3 seconds. I think it's incredibly poor taste to come out publicly like this. He could have easily made the same statements through the grapevine rather than piss off his fan base by doing something like this.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #2164
Izulde
Head Coach

Las Vegas Sun is officially reporting Hutson as Rice's first assistant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas Sun
On Sunday night, the Sun confirmed through multiple sources that San Diego State assistant Justin Hutson will officially become the first member of Rice's staff. Hutson spent the last five seasons heading up SDSU's recruiting efforts and coordinating the Aztecs' defense — both areas which contributed heavily to SDSU's storybook 2010-11 season that ended with a Sweet Sixteen berth.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #2165
MrBug708
Head Coach

Great pickup for Rice
Old 04-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #2166
Swaggs
Coordinator

Reading the article (and they may have added more context to it since Troy posted it) and it doesn't sound that bad. It sounds like someone asked him if Miami had inquired and why he thinks that they had not. Makes it clear that he has had opportunities to leave the past two seasons (for raises), but has stayed because he and his family like the area and he appreciated the opportunity.

It certainly sounds like he is posturing for a raise, but if he is "only" making $1.1-million, he probably deserves one (95 wins in four years and an appearance in the Elite 8 at Kansas State is pretty notable).
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #2167
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

His family, including a son and his parents, live down there. Several good reasons why he'd be interested in going back down there.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 04-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #2168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Perry Jones is returning to Baylor. Pretty shocked about this one. He has to sit out the first five games next year.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #2169
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

From what I remember, Frank Martin is from Miami so this would be the equivalent of his dream job/going home job. I think this is a unique circumstance and I never really thought Frank Martin has had a wandering eye.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #2170
molson
General Manager

Possibily the wrong thread, but there's been arrests in a San Diego point shaving probe, including Brandon Johnson (who was the team's best player when they beat UConn in the 1st round of the tournament in 2008). It looks like the point shaving took place in early 2010 (they went 2-13 against the spread in January-March of 2010).

Former University of San Diego assistant coach, players charged with shaving points - ESPN

Last edited by molson : 04-12-2011 at 09:56 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #2171
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Another fan meltdown incoming at Mizzou. Otto Porter, who was a mortal lock to come to Mizzou before the coaching fiasco, has committed to Georgetown. Another prize recruit leaves the borders.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #2172
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Tommy Amaker stays at Harvard rather than going to Miami. He's a package deal with his PhD wife -- she was an Associate Dean of Students at Michigan when he was there and is now working at Harvard Med School -- and I suspect she shot that one down on sight.

Can't blame her.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #2173
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I have it from a very well placed source that Amaker's wife is first in line to run the medical school at Mizzou.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:23 PM   #2174
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Tommy Amaker stays at Harvard rather than going to Miami. He's a package deal with his PhD wife -- she was an Associate Dean of Students at Michigan when he was there and is now working at Harvard Med School -- and I suspect she shot that one down on sight.

Can't blame her.

Amaker's coaching position is also endowed (well endowed, you say?), so I wouldn't be surprised if his current salary is, all in, very comparable to what Miami can offer.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #2175
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Amaker's coaching position is also endowed (well endowed, you say?), so I wouldn't be surprised if his current salary is, all in, very comparable to what Miami can offer.

Didn't know that. Interesting, but makes it a smarter choice then.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-12-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #2176
MrBug708
Head Coach

UCLA hires Korey McCray fromt he highly successful Atlanta Celtics AAU program and suddenly becomes the favorite to land Jordan Adams
Old 04-14-2011, 05:24 AM   #2177
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I was so insensitive earlier for mentioning race in regards to BYU.

Deadspin, Sports News without Access, Favor, or Discretion
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #2178
Radii
Head Coach

Completely unsubstantiated rumors from random twitter accounts that are now exploding are reporting that Harrison Barnes is staying for another year.

The interwebs are getting my hopes up. I'm going to find someone to kill if they're wrong.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 03:29 PM   #2179
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Sydney Johnson leaves Princeton Tigers for Fairfield Stags - ESPN

Quote:
Sydney Johnson cried during an on-court interview after Princeton beat Harvard on a last-second shot in a thrilling, one-game playoff for an NCAA bid at Yale on March 12.

Sydney Johnson surprised many when he left alma mater Princeton to become head coach at Fairfield.
He cried again at a postgame news conference after Princeton lost to Kentucky in the final seconds in the second round of the NCAA tournament.
He said he may get just as emotional in his new position as head coach at Fairfield, now that he has left his alma mater in a stunning move to replace Ed Cooley.

"My emotions, as they relate to coaching, are genuine," said Johnson by phone from his new office in Fairfield, Conn. "One thing you'll be surprised by is the connection I have and will have with our guys at Fairfield whether I wore that jersey or not. I can relate to what the guys are going through; the grind of being a student and a player.

"I don't feel like that since I left my alma mater, that it makes me any less sincere in how much I invest emotionally in coaching," said Johnson, who will turn 37 on April 26. "I don't accept that."

Johnson's move from Princeton to Fairfield has been one of the most surprising of any during the spring coaching carousel, mostly because of Johnson's public display of emotion while leading his alma mater into the postseason. However, a closer examination of the move makes it much more explainable.
Princeton's pay scale for Johnson was estimated at around $200,000.

According to sources, Johnson was able to secure more than double his salary at Fairfield and will be paid in the $400,000 range that Cooley was making before he returned to his native Rhode Island to coach Providence.
Princeton athletic director Gary Walters, also an alumnus, didn't want to comment further on Johnson's departure. He was not pleased that Johnson's representatives were sending out feelers about openings at Towson and Bradley prior to the Fairfield opening. Walters has long held firm to the belief that coaching at Princeton is a privilege. Having someone like legendary former coach Pete Carril, who guided the Tigers from 1967 to 1996, is a luxury that won't occur anymore.

John Thompson III, who like Johnson played at Princeton, was the Tigers' head coach for four seasons before taking over at Georgetown, where his father had built a legacy.
"It was extremely difficult for me to leave Princeton," Thompson III said. "People didn't initially believe that since I was going Ivy to the Big East. But Princeton in many ways was, and still is, home for me and leaving that program was extremely difficult for me."

Johnson was a part of Carril's final team that scored an historic upset over defending champion UCLA in the first round of the 1996 NCAA tournament. He was part of Thompson's staff at Georgetown before taking over a Princeton program that was in shambles. He coached the Tigers to six wins in Year 1, 13 in Year 2 (8-6 in the Ivy), a 22-9 record (11-3 in the Ivy) and a CBI semifinal appearance against Saint Louis in Year 3.

In 2011, he matched Harvard game for game; the Tigers shared the regular-season title with the Crimson but earned the Ivy's NCAA bid after winning a one-game playoff. The Tigers finished 25-7 (12-2 in Ivy).
"As a graduate of the class of '88, it was a great four years to watch," Thompson III said of Johnson's Princeton tenure. "World order was restored.

We have a long, proud tradition and one of the best basketball programs in the country. Sydney said it best before the playoff game: There is an expectation to win and added pressure to win and it's different sitting in that Princeton locker room. He's leaving the program where it should be at this point."

Walters said he's going through a national head-coaching search but the Princeton alumni in college basketball want Johnson's successor to be one of three Princeton alums: Thompson III assistant Mike Brennan, Bill Carmody assistant Mitch Henderson or Johnson assistant Brian Earl.
"One of the things that we're proud to be associated with is the success of the former players as head coaches," Thompson III said. "Given that opportunity, they've been successful."

Johnson saw things at Fairfield -- such as a higher salary and the ability to cast a wider net in recruiting -- that he didn't see at Princeton, while Ivy League rival Harvard is taking steps in that direction, according to those close to the program.

Johnson wouldn't go into detail about his departure, but said he was impressed after listening to Fairfield's vision.
"Clearly Fairfield is aspiring to be something just as meaningful in terms of educating kids, student-athlete mentoring and aspiring to be something bigger," Johnson said. "There is momentum here. Clearly, Ed put it in place."
Fairfield won the MAAC regular-season title and reached the second round of the NIT, finishing with a 25-8 record. Fairfield hadn't won a conference title since 1996 and had never won one outright.

The Stags will be the favorite again with the return of guard Derek Needham, Ryan Olander, Colin Nickerson and the transfer of Rakim Sanders from Boston College.

"Ed and the university helped improve and change the lives of these young men and there are resources here around this program that will help them," Johnson said. "I'm not embarrassed to want to be associated with that."
He sees a chance to develop Fairfield even more.
"I can be emotionally attached to this school and I do believe there's a lot of room to grow behind what Ed Cooley did," Johnson said. "I have nothing negative to say about Princeton. I don't think conference affiliation matters. With all due respect to the Big East and the ACC, just because those teams are in those leagues doesn't make them great basketball programs. Sure, they get a bump. But Butler and VCU have shown that if you pop the hood and look underneath you can see something better. Fairfield looks a little different but it looks good and might not to others. But once you start talking to the recruits, the alumni, you see what this program is about."

Still, the emotion that Johnson felt after the Harvard win and near-miss against Kentucky was real. "Those are the type of moments in your coaching career that you'll always remember," Johnson said. "Those players were working their entire lives for those moments and didn't know it. It validated everything we did from that first 6-23 season."

Johnson doesn't have to rebuild Fairfield. The Stags are ready to win again next season, and Johnson said he'll be just as emotionally attached in his new venture as he was at Princeton.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #2180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Barnes is staying at UNC.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:31 AM   #2181
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

saw this thread bumped just now and was hoping for more mike anderson news

bite me fofc
Old 04-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #2182
MJ4H
Coordinator

mike anderson just came out of the broyles athletic center restroom

the motorcade is ready
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #2183
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
saw this thread bumped just now and was hoping for more mike anderson news

bite me fofc

Harrison Barnes took longer than most to decide because he was waiting on Mike Anderson to return his calls for advice before deciding.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:57 AM   #2184
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Harrison Barnes took longer than most to decide because he was waiting on Mike Anderson to return his calls for advice before deciding.
Nice.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:22 PM   #2185
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Found this humorous:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...04/3/index.htm

Kemba Walker

Quote:
Walker took schoolwork with him throughout the Big East and NCAA tournaments, completing short required papers while postponing tests until after the season. He met with his campus tutor on Skype. And in his travel pack is a copy of New York Times columnist William C. Rhoden's Forty Million Dollar Slaves: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Black Athlete, a book that Crump encouraged Walker to read as part of an independent study class on racism in sports. Before the Final Four, Crump suggested that Rhoden's book would be the first that Walker had ever made it through cover-to-cover. After the win over Kentucky, Walker confirmed this. "That's true," he said. "You can write that. It is the first book I've ever read."

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 04-19-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #2186
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That Kemba Walker story makes me think it's time to review the admissions process at UConn.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 04-19-2011 at 03:36 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #2187
Logan
Head Coach

Kid graduated in 3 years like Emeka Okafor, I'm sure he's doing just fine.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #2188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Kid graduated in 3 years like Emeka Okafor, I'm sure he's doing just fine.

If that's the "first book he's ever read" & graduated in three years, I'd say that's all the more reason for concern, not less.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #2189
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Maybe the University of New Orleans is old-fashioned (or maybe I'm just old), but how the hell does somebody get through college without having to read even one entire book? I had to read at least 10 when I was in college, and I hated almost all of them. Didn't get me out of reading them, though.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #2190
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm sure some will quibble, but I'm inclined to believe that he was trying to say that it was the first non-academic book he's read or more pointed "book read that he enjoyed reading that wasn't a school book."

I wouldn't think that Kemba Walker is some kind of scholar, but he's not the first college student I've heard something like this said in this same context. But those kids aren't quoted for national media and I think this is just another case of a college student being taking out of context.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-19-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:02 PM   #2191
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
I'm sure some will quibble, but I'm inclined to believe that he was trying to say that it was the first non-academic book he's read or more pointed "book read that he enjoyed reading that wasn't a school book."

I wouldn't think that Kemba Walker is some kind of scholar, but he's not the first college student I've heard something like this said in this same context. But those kids aren't quoted for national media and I think this is just another case of a college student being taking out of context.
Well, to me, that's different, then. It didn't occur to me that that's what he could've possibly meant. I rarely read, but I wouldn't come right out of college saying that I've only read one book. That makes me sound ridiculous and I would want to shoot myself in the face and then punch myself in the joy department.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:04 PM   #2192
Passacaglia
Coordinator

But it was a school book...he read it for a class.

Anyway, I'd put it at over 50% of college classes, at any level, that don't require you to read a book cover-to-cover.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:13 PM   #2193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think this is just another case of a college student being taking out of context.

Hard to say it was entirely ooc when he clearly meant it to be quoted "You can write that. It is the first book I've ever read."
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #2194
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpy Tudors View Post
Well, to me, that's different, then. It didn't occur to me that that's what he could've possibly meant. I rarely read, but I wouldn't come right out of college saying that I've only read one book. That makes me sound ridiculous and I would want to shoot myself in the face and then punch myself in the joy department.

I agree, but that's my point (well, I didn't make that point here..but I digress) about school's need to train students better for speaking with the media. I watch these press conferences and I want to throw something at the screen. It's infuriating that schools send these kids for the public so unprepared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
But it was a school book...he read it for a class.

Anyway, I'd put it at over 50% of college classes, at any level, that don't require you to read a book cover-to-cover.

No, it wasn't for a class. The SI story said his academic advisor gave it to him to read. And I agree, most classes will just pick excerpts, unless it's an English class. I'd love to assign full books, but was told it's not realistic by my department chair when I was an adjunct. I taught a business class in the art department though.

The courseloads of D1 athletes, many who might be underprepared for college to begin with are designed to keep them eligible, not to advance their academic prowess. So if they don't come to college with that gumption to maximize their education, they're not going to magically seize it when they get there. They'll listen to the folks paid to give them advice, take that advice and do what a lot of people do athletes or not; find the shortcuts to get the degree.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:16 PM   #2195
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Hard to say it was entirely ooc when he clearly meant it to be quoted "You can write that. It is the first book I've ever read."

I've been around thousands of college students in the past decade or so, so I'm taking liberties. If I'm wrong, so be it.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 04-19-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #2196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The question to me really isn't how you get through college without reading a single book cover to cover, it's how the hell did he get through MS or HS and manage to qualify for admission to college without doing so?
Old 04-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #2197
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
If that's the "first book he's ever read" & graduated in three years, I'd say that's all the more reason for concern, not less.

I read plenty for my own pleasure in college, but I was required to read exactly zero books. For a freshman writing class, we read what amounted to non-fiction short stories. In my finance/econ classes we read the usual suspects when it came to financial publications, plus case study type materials. No books in there cover to cover.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #2198
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree, but that's my point (well, I didn't make that point here..but I digress) about school's need to train students better for speaking with the media. I watch these press conferences and I want to throw something at the screen. It's infuriating that schools send these kids for the public so unprepared.

In many cases, I believe what we're seeing IS the "prepared as well as possible" version.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:21 PM   #2199
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
I read plenty for my own pleasure in college, but I was required to read exactly zero books.

See above (I think I was posting simultaneously to your post).
Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM   #2200
molson
General Manager

"I'm gonna read a book. From beginning to end! In that order!"
molson is offline   Reply With Quote