Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #2151
spleen1015
Coordinator

How do we know the Board of Trustees didn't give approval? It was mentioned early in the thread that the President of the university may be lying. How do we know that this trustee isn't the one lying?
Old 07-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #2152
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gregory House
Everybody lies.

RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #2153
King of New York
High School Varsity

Thanks, good article.

Also, I have to agree that if the president agreed without consulting the Board of Trustees, the president might want to start updating his resume, because, under different circumstances, the Board would almost certainly sack him. Given that Penn State is in the spotlight, the Board might choose to let this slide...for a while.

Maybe UVA and Penn State should just exchange Boards?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #2154
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Clearly you haven't paying attention.

Virginia hasn't repeated the same actions that got them burned in the first place. Penn State appears to be doing the "hands off" board again.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:47 PM   #2155
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
USC might get it's feature RB as they are going to recruit Silas Redd, PSU RB.

Only the NCAA would allow something like this. The sanctioned exchange program

The NCAA has said that USC can't use the scholarship limit exception. They must stay at or under 75 and can only take 15 per year (EE's rolled over from last year excluded.)

However, they have cleared Redd to come to USC and today USC found out that Darreus Rogers has failed to qualify academically. As a result, USC can take 19 players this year with 4 EE's and Redd could count as 1 of the 4 EE's.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:21 PM   #2156
Logan
Head Coach

How can you allow a guy who has already begun using his eligibility to be an early enrollee? I mean, I guess he technically enrolled back in 2010...
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #2157
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
How can you allow a guy who has already begun using his eligibility to be an early enrollee? I mean, I guess he technically enrolled back in 2010...

EE is the confusing statement here. Remember, the Trojies' current "EE"s are with respect to the 2013 class, as wehave been referring to them anyway. In other words, they are unused scholies from the 2012 class.

So if Redd comes out to USC, he will essentially take up a 2012 scholie; kinda like he's an EE for the 2013 class. It's better to think of him as simply a transfer counting against the 2012 class.

Of course, his scholie counts against the 75-man roster USC is allowed both this season and next season (presuming that the NCAA is not allowing USC to take advantage of the scholie limit exception for taking on a PSU player), so that could limit them if they are up against that limit (not sure how close they are to that).

But in any case, USC appears to have the room for him from a scholies under the sanctions perspective.

I am of the opinion that the NCAA should not allow sanctioned programs from benefiting from sanctions against other schools, but then, the NCAA is a pretty awful decision-making organization in general.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:57 AM   #2158
Logan
Head Coach

Bill O'Brien was on Mike and Mike today, and said that one thing they are looking to do is to take advantage of the Hawaii exemption which allows them to play there as a 13th game. Of course it would be placed at the end of the season, serving as a pseudo bowl trip to sell to current players and future recruits.

This is where those deep PSU booster pockets come to play. They're about to set records for the price paid for a road game.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #2159
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

It could have been a four year death penalty for PSU if they didn't agree to the deal.

Penn State Nittany Lions -- Rodney Erickson said school faced 4-year death penalty - ESPN
Old 07-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #2160
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Bill O'Brien was on Mike and Mike today, and said that one thing they are looking to do is to take advantage of the Hawaii exemption which allows them to play there as a 13th game. Of course it would be placed at the end of the season, serving as a pseudo bowl trip to sell to current players and future recruits.

This is where those deep PSU booster pockets come to play. They're about to set records for the price paid for a road game.

The NCAA closed that loophole. You can play out there, but still can only schedule 12 games. Hawaii had to petition the NCAA to let USC stay on their schedule last time, and only got it approve because the game was scheduled back in 2001.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-25-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:42 PM   #2161
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
It could have been a four year death penalty for PSU if they didn't agree to the deal.

Penn State Nittany Lions -- Rodney Erickson said school faced 4-year death penalty - ESPN

Tough choice. Death Penalty or a 5 minute timeout in the corner.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #2162
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Tough choice. Death Penalty or a 5 minute timeout in the corner.

Fucking ridiculous that the NCAA gave them a choice frankly.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #2163
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
The NCAA closed that loophole. You can play out there, but still can only schedule 12 games. Hawaii had to petition the NCAA to let USC stay on their schedule last time, and only got it approve because the game was scheduled back in 2001.

You have a link for that? Still listed in the bylaws here:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D112.pdf

Quote:
17.9.5.2 Annual Exemptions. [FBS/FCS]
The maximum number of football contests shall exclude the following:

(j) Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico. [FBS/FCS]
Any football games played in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, respectively, either against or under the sponsorship of an active member institution located in Hawaii, Alaska or Puerto Rico, by a Division I member institution located outside the area in question.

Last edited by Logan : 07-25-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2164
tarcone
Coordinator

Thats awesome. SO PsU gets to go to Hawaii. Play the team of their choice (Outside of bowl teams).
They could play Miami or UNC or have a rematch with OSU.
A Miami v. PsU game would be better then most bowl games.
And watch when one of the cable stations throws in $10 million to earn the rights to televise.

This "punishment" gets better every day.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #2165
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You have a link for that? Still listed in the bylaws here:

http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D112.pdf

No link that I know of, but I know USC was explicitly told that they could not use Hawaii as a 13th game while on bowl ban except for the 1 year exception because it was scheduled so far in advance (and was at the beginning of a season.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #2166
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
No link that I know of, but I know USC was explicitly told that they could not use Hawaii as a 13th game while on bowl ban except for the 1 year exception because it was scheduled so far in advance (and was at the beginning of a season.)

NCAA allows USC-Hawaii football game to be played - Los Angeles Times

The loophole still exists for everyone. It was just USC that wasn't allowed to use it due to their sanctions and thus, needed the waiver.

Quote:
As part of its probation, USC is prohibited from taking advantage of an NCAA rule that allows teams to play 13 games if one is in Hawaii. The NCAA's Committee on Infractions apparently included the language about the exemption to prevent use similar to that employed by Alabama, which scheduled 13th games at Hawaii in 2002 and 2003 after it was put on probation.

Both USC and Hawaii had contacted the NCAA because the game was scheduled years ago. Jim Donovan, Hawaii's athletic director, said this week that cancellation of the game could cost cash-strapped Hawaii more than $1 million.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 07-25-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:34 PM   #2167
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Fucking ridiculous that the NCAA gave them a choice frankly.

That is pretty much where I was going with my comment. Simply ridiculous.

All that is going to happen is you will have 100,000 plus people rallying around PSU football every home game which is what got them in this mess in the first place.

The only option that would have made a difference was to shut down the program for at least a year. To have it come out that it went from a 4 year total ban to nothing is a joke. If you told me it went from 4 to 2 years with this "deal" then I'd be much more impressed with this 'punishment".
Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM   #2168
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

I'm sure the NCAA leaked what they did purposely to let us know how "tough" this current penalty is.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #2169
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Thats awesome. SO PsU gets to go to Hawaii. Play the team of their choice (Outside of bowl teams).
They could play Miami or UNC or have a rematch with OSU.

A 13th game would fall right around a conference title game so I can't imagine one of the better schools like OSU OKing it. I really doubt a Big Ten team wants to be the one to help them out anway.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:23 PM   #2170
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
A 13th game would fall right around a conference title game so I can't imagine one of the better schools like OSU OKing it. I really doubt a Big Ten team wants to be the one to help them out anway.

I picture it as some kind of reverse Rose Bowl with some bottom-suckling Pac-12 team. I'm sure some team on the fringe of the bowl picture would be down for the cause. I mean, not like there's anything else to do.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #2171
tarcone
Coordinator

Is there a limit to when a team can play their schedule? Couldnt PsU schedule a Jan. 1st game in Hawaii against another team that has a post season ban. Pay the U of Hawaii millions of dollars to sanction it. The University of Hawaii Invitational for example. TBS pays $25 million dollars for the rights. $5 million to the U of Hawaii, $10 million to PsU and $10 million to the other team.

Sounds like it would work.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:43 PM   #2172
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Is there a limit to when a team can play their schedule? Couldnt PsU schedule a Jan. 1st game in Hawaii against another team that has a post season ban. Pay the U of Hawaii millions of dollars to sanction it. The University of Hawaii Invitational for example. TBS pays $25 million dollars for the rights. $5 million to the U of Hawaii, $10 million to PsU and $10 million to the other team.

I guess they could probably doing whatever they and the team they were playing wanted if they wanted to cut ties from the NCAA. I doubt the NCAA would approve something like this. Whenever the Army/Navy game is, is the final week as part of the sanctioned NCAA regular season schedule.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 AM   #2173
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Your dollar amounts are way, way out of whack. As in, close to being off by a full decimal point. But the (primary) point in PSU doing this wouldn't be to make money for the school. It would be to have something in place to replicate the bowl game experience to entice recruits.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:39 AM   #2174
saldana
Pro Starter

the way i think the rule is intended is if the game isnt against a team from one of those 3 locations, the only way it is allowed is if it is part of some sort of tournament or other event...they cant just make a game against a third party team and say it is their 13th game. UoH would have to somehow make it a sponsored/invitation type thing.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:56 AM   #2175
Suburban Rhythm
Pro Starter

I'm not sure if I am supposed to laugh or cry at this one

Penn State Fan To TV Reporter About NCAA Sanctions: "It Was Our 9/11 Today. I Just Saw Planes Crashing Into Towers."
Suburban Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:04 AM   #2176
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Wow, I kind of expected a "this is our tsunami" comment, but didn't think they'd go to 9/11.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #2177
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban Rhythm View Post

Embarrassing...
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #2178
spleen1015
Coordinator

I work with a guy who is some how a big PSU fan. I don't know how because he grew up and has always lived here in Indy.

Anyway, he is one of these crazy fans. He doesn't believe this has anything to do with football and this is a big conspiracy to get JoePa.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #2179
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

I don't understand that mindset. Why would the NCAA want their winningest coach to be brought down, or any fan of football for that matter. Pre-scandal I never once thought, "Fuck that JoePa guy..." That douche out at USC on the other hand..
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #2180
Autumn
Head Coach

If I could teach modern day Americans any one thing, it would be perspective. This isn't the only scenario where you see a glaring deficiency of it.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #2181
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
I don't understand that mindset. Why would the NCAA want their winningest coach to be brought down, or any fan of football for that matter. Pre-scandal I never once thought, "Fuck that JoePa guy..." That douche out at USC on the other hand..

The worst part, to me, is that we all knew he was more involved in this from the beginning. Now, I'm not sure we all knew there would be such direct evidence of it, and maybe we didn't want to believe it, but when this broke and they implicated the other adiministrators, you knew JoePa knew more than he was saying or they could prove at the time. It's not like this is some after-the-fact, out-of-the-blue attempt to smear JoePa and take him down with the rest of the program just because it's convenient.

I also don't get the "this is just about the people, not the institution/program" line of reasoning. How people can't see it crossed the line from individual actions to institutional failure is beyond me. And in those situations, it is appropriate to take whatever action is justified against not just the people, but the institution. It happens all the time. An organization was made aware of criminal activity by an employee. They not only failed to stop it, but concealed it from the public to the great detriment of many people. What makes this situation any different than countless others?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM   #2182
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Embarrassing...

that guy is such an idiot...the best part of it is, i watch that newscast regularly, and he isnt the stupidest person they have had on there!
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #2183
stevew
Hall Of Famer

They should be all like "this is our holocaust. People were led into showers, people saw it happen but nobody said anything"
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:26 AM   #2184
Klinglerware
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
They should be all like "this is our holocaust. People were led into showers, people saw it happen but nobody said anything"

First they came for the guy in the Nittany Lion mascot suit, and then they came for me...

Last edited by Klinglerware : 07-26-2012 at 10:26 AM.
Klinglerware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #2185
rowech
Pro Starter

Make sure to listen to Franco Harris on Dan Patrick Show once it's up. Some of what he said is unbelievable.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #2186
tarcone
Coordinator

And didnt Paterno go the the grave in denial?

Last edited by tarcone : 07-26-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:42 AM   #2187
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

On that note, was JUST reading this thread:

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards

Interesting to note that some of them can't even say "Paterno made a mistake" about the matter.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 07-26-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM   #2188
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
On that note, was JUST reading this thread:

BlueWhiteIllustrated.com - Message Boards

Interesting to note that some of them can't even say "Paterno made a mistake" about the matter.

I honestly think those people never took two seconds to read any of the Freeh report.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:13 AM   #2189
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I honestly think those people never took two seconds to read any of the Freeh report.
Actually my take is that many of the most staunch defenders have read it cover to cover, and they're being defense attorneys about it rather than using common sense. "SHOW ME ON WHAT PAGE AND LINE NUMBER IT SAYS THAT JOEPA COVERED IT UP!!! THAT'S JUST THE CONCLUSION THAT *ONE GUY* DRAWS!!! HE MIGHT NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT 1998!!! "COACH" COULD HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT SANDUSKY, NOT JOEPA!!!!"
Old 07-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #2190
King of New York
High School Varsity

Quote:
Actually my take is that many of the most staunch defenders have read it cover to cover, and they're being defense attorneys about it rather than using common sense. "SHOW ME ON WHAT PAGE AND LINE NUMBER IT SAYS THAT JOEPA COVERED IT UP!!! THAT'S JUST THE CONCLUSION THAT *ONE GUY* DRAWS!!! HE MIGHT NOT HAVE KNOWN ABOUT 1998!!! "COACH" COULD HAVE BEEN TALKING ABOUT SANDUSKY, NOT JOEPA!!!!"

I have it on good PSU authority that the "Coach" mentioned in the emails was actually...Bobby Bowden.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM   #2191
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

And Bear Bryant, for good measure

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:36 PM   #2192
Ben E Lou

Victim #2 (McQueary shower incident) has come forward.

State College, PA - Victim No. 2 Comes Forward in Jerry Sandusky Case, Plans to Sue Penn State
Old 07-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #2193
Ksyrup

Quote:
Today, we are releasing two of those voicemails. As these messages indicate, Sandusky was attempting to exert control over our client even as his arrest for child sexual abuse became imminent. They can be heard by visiting the Ross Feller Casey, LLP website at rossfellercasey.com.

Brilliant marketing!

"Sir, web hits increased by eleven-billionty percent last month!"

Last edited by Ksyrup : 07-26-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:00 PM   #2194
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Brilliant marketing!

"Sir, web hits increased by eleven-billionty percent last month!"
Yah, no kidding.

So, do ANY of these go to trial? It seems like PSU is going to want to keep these out of the public eye as much as they can. There have GOT to be more victims out there. I just don't see PSU wanting to have 20-30 trials keeping this in the headlines for the next 5 years. Is this a situation where everyone with a semi-credible claim of being abused gets a check from PSU?

"Can we verify that he was alone with Jerry at any time between 2001 and 2011?"

"We can?"

"{Sigh} Ok. Cut him a check."
Old 07-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #2195
Ben E Lou

Hmmmm..this brings up a question, though. This law firm said they're suing "Penn State and others." PSU has much to lose PR-wise by fighting, but The Second Mile and the Paterno Estate don't. How does it work if someone sues all three parties and PSU wants to settle, but the Paternos and Second Mile don't?
Old 07-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #2196
Ksyrup

They can settle with one or more parties, drop them from the case as part of the settlement, and continue against the remaining defendants.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #2197
Ksyrup

In a related note, I saw an article that PSU's liability insurer is attempting to deny coverage due to the cover-up. It's heavily dependent on the contractual language, but you have to assume the insurer has a good case to argue that PSU concealed material information about the risk the insurer was covering.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:16 PM   #2198
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
In a related note, I saw an article that PSU's liability insurer is attempting to deny coverage due to the cover-up. It's heavily dependent on the contractual language, but you have to assume the insurer has a good case to argue that PSU concealed material information about the risk the insurer was covering.

Agreed, it seems pretty close to a homeowner having fire coverage, but the claim being denied when they set fire to their own house.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:20 PM   #2199
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:
Hmmmm..this brings up a question, though. This law firm said they're suing "Penn State and others." PSU has much to lose PR-wise by fighting, but The Second Mile and the Paterno Estate don't. How does it work if someone sues all three parties and PSU wants to settle, but the Paternos and Second Mile don't?

It was only half-mentioned in a story on TV, but I don't think the Second Mile even exists anymore. They're going to have to hunt those farkers down one by one to sue.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:26 PM   #2200
spleen1015
Coordinator

Sandusky started Second Mile, right?

Has there been any mention of him setting it up just so that he would have access to more victims? Just something that occurred to me. WTF?!