Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-30-2010, 08:17 AM   #2151
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Who's Von Wafer??

I'm pulling from memory here, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

Von Wafer was was a German general commanding the 12th SS Panzer division largely on the Soviet front. He was implicated in the Valkarie plot even though subsequent evidence has shown he wasn't involved. He abandoned his command and fled to Greece where he eventually found passage to the U.S. on a cargo vessel owned by Aristotle Onassis.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:32 AM   #2152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Von Wafer was was a German general commanding the 12th SS Panzer division largely on the Soviet front. He was implicated in the Valkarie plot even though subsequent evidence has shown he wasn't involved. He abandoned his command and fled to Greece where he eventually found passage to the U.S. on a cargo vessel owned by Aristotle Onassis.

The 12th was the Hitler Youth division. They were never on the Eastern Front. (Well okay, until 1945 when they went East as far as Hungary for Operation Spring Awakening).

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-30-2010 at 08:37 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:37 AM   #2153
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I'm not sure how you can call a move for the 11th or 12th guy "shocking."
Old 07-30-2010, 08:38 AM   #2154
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I'm not sure how you can call a move for the 11th or 12th guy "shocking."

Yeah - he's a good gamble for an "end of bench" player. Fine by me.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #2155
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post

Good one

a little less interesting answer : A sparkplug-guard who received regular minutes exactly 1 season since entering the league in 05 and is the poster child of talented yet immature and stupid ballplayer.

suspended for missing classes and getting benched for stupid play ---> declaring early ---> going undrafted ---> playing roughly 40 games for 4 teams his first 3 years ---> catching a break with the Rockets (even there there was friction, got benched repeatedly towards the end of the year) ---> bolting for big (and supposedly easy) money in Greece ---> waived 3 months into the season after averaging 3 PPG ---> 10 day contract Mavs, no games ---> Celtics offer

Shares with Ron Artest a tendency for stupid haircuts and his terrible shot selection, got benched
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:45 AM   #2156
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The 12th was the Hitler Youth division. They were never on the Eastern Front. (Well okay, until 1945 when they went East as far as Hungary for Operation Spring Awakening).

Like I said, I was pulling from memory.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:57 AM   #2157
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Yeah - he's a good gamble for an "end of bench" player. Fine by me.

I would predict his impact this season to be wafer-thin.
Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #2158
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Well played sir!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #2159
whomario
Pro Starter

Quote:

On the glass half-full side of things he might also be von-tastic
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
Old 07-30-2010, 09:39 AM   #2160
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I must say, he sounds highly vonted.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:35 PM   #2162
stevew
Hall Of Famer

yeah motherfucks....Joey Graham will take the Cavs money
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #2163
whomario
Pro Starter

So, Shaq to the Celtics ... Interesting definitely.

NBA Free Agents: Shaquille O'Neal decides to join Boston Celtics, sources say - ESPN Boston

Just a random thought that crossed my mind with Shaq : What was the most All Star appearances a teams starting 5/Roster ever combined at the time of existence ? (Shaq 15, KG 13, Allen 9, Pierce 8, O´Neal 6, Rondo 1 = 52 )
Old 08-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #2164
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Who's Von Wafer??

A talented bum who from what I remember didn't understand the concept of team ball. He is a former Nole so I am happy to see him get a job but as a basketball fan he is a bum.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #2165
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Ugh. Shaq? Really? I have to root for this dude as a component of my team? No thanks.

He's just going to get in Rondo's way. Although...Rondo can certainly get him some easy dunks.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #2166
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
So, Shaq to the Celtics ... Interesting definitely.

NBA Free Agents: Shaquille O'Neal decides to join Boston Celtics, sources say - ESPN Boston

Just a random thought that crossed my mind with Shaq : What was the most All Star appearances a teams starting 5/Roster ever combined at the time of existence ? (Shaq 15, KG 13, Allen 9, Pierce 8, O´Neal 6, Rondo 1 = 52 )

It's kind of unfair for them to start six guys, though.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #2167
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ugh. Shaq? Really? I have to root for this dude as a component of my team? No thanks.

He's just going to get in Rondo's way. Although...Rondo can certainly get him some easy dunks.

Watching Shaq play for your favorite team is like basking in the aura of a really good fart.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:01 AM   #2168
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

he said "starting 5/roster"
Old 08-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #2169
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Watching Shaq play for your favorite team is like basking in the aura of a really good fart.

haha - ohhhhh boy

i've been really really gassy lately too for some reason.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #2170
molson
General Manager

I can't imagine there was a better minimum-salary option for the Celtics to fill in at center.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:26 AM   #2171
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping Shaq was going to be too proud to play for the minimum, and we'd be able to sign and trade him for any kind of an asset(like a 2nd round pick even).
Old 08-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #2172
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I can't imagine there was a better minimum-salary option for the Celtics to fill in at center.

This is the point. Celtics needed a big man. He's the best option available. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out once Perk comes back.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #2173
MrBug708
Head Coach

Shaq wants #5 after Kobe made his comment about "One more than Shaq". The two best teams equipped to win it all won't touch him with a 50 foot pole, so the Celtics are the next best option
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:15 PM   #2174
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
This is the point. Celtics needed a big man. He's the best option available. Will be interesting to see how it all shakes out once Perk comes back.

I really like this move low risk high reward I think. When Perk comes back we could sport a big lineup of Shaq, Perk at center, plus have O'Neal and KG, at the forward spots and push Pierce to #2 guard with Rondo at the point with Ray, Harangody and Big Baby off the bench. That would make for a solid "big" lineup all around.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:19 PM   #2175
Swaggs
Coordinator

As long as Shaq is willing to be a roleplayer, I think it's a good signing. For the minimum salary, to get a huge body with great experience and character, I don't see how Celtics' fans could be too unhappy. It isn't like they will be expecting 30 minutes a game from him.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:24 PM   #2176
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post
I really like this move low risk high reward I think. When Perk comes back we could sport a big lineup of Shaq, Perk at center, plus have O'Neal and KG, at the forward spots and push Pierce to #2 guard with Rondo at the point with Ray, Harangody and Big Baby off the bench. That would make for a solid "big" lineup all around.

(1) Shaq
(2) Perk (C)
(3) Garnett (F)
(4) O'Neal (F)
(5) Pierce (G)
(6) Rondo (G)

I think the fact that that lineup will let you have six guys on the court will provide even more benefits than the size
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #2177
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Celtics are already built for old ad slow, so Shaq should be able to fit right in.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:34 PM   #2178
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaril View Post

KG at the #3? Maybe earlier in his career, but right now that would be a disaster. Maybe in situational moments, but that is not a viable full time lineup. Imagine him trying to guard LeBron one on one.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:35 PM   #2179
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

There is no way Jermaine O'Neal starts with a healthy Perk.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #2180
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
KG at the #3? Maybe earlier in his career, but right now that would be a disaster. Maybe in situational moments, but that is not a viable full time lineup. Imagine him trying to guard LeBron one on one.

No I meant KG or ONeal at the PW and Perk or Shaq at Center.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #2181
whomario
Pro Starter

@ Galaril : But then your moving Pierce to the 2 and Allen to the bench is kind of redundant

Quote:
There is no way Jermaine O'Neal starts with a healthy Perk.

well, considering the optimistic timeline for a return is early January which might very well turn out to be February instead ... Plus you have to consider that you don´t just step onto the court and be at 100% coming off a major knee injury.

I´d be shocked if Perkins played anything more than 15-20 Minutes up until deep into march, if at all this season (iff the JO/Shaq combo at C works well)
Old 08-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #2182
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
As long as Shaq is willing to be a roleplayer, I think it's a good signing. For the minimum salary, to get a huge body with great experience and character, I don't see how Celtics' fans could be too unhappy. It isn't like they will be expecting 30 minutes a game from him.

Character?

Well, I'll say he is A character. As for the attribute...

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #2183
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
I´d be shocked if Perkins played anything more than 15-20 Minutes up until deep into march, if at all this season (iff the JO/Shaq combo at C works well)

Agreed. Seen a lot of assumptions here about Perk being around, and I really don't think he will be. He may not even be ready for the playoffs next season.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:55 PM   #2184
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

While that's possible, is it any more than complete speculation?
Old 08-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #2185
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
While that's possible, is it any more than complete speculation?

Arer you talking about Perk's injury? It's pretty well established how long certain types of injuries take to get back playing again, and even longer how long it takes to get back playing well, no pain, no concern for a re-occurrence.

Frankly, if I were a Celtic fan, I would assume Perk's not going to play in 2010-11, and if he does, be pleasantly surprised.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #2186
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Arer you talking about Perk's injury? It's pretty well established how long certain types of injuries take to get back playing again, and even longer how long it takes to get back playing well, no pain, no concern for a re-occurrence.

Frankly, if I were a Celtic fan, I would assume Perk's not going to play in 2010-11, and if he does, be pleasantly surprised.

Of course, I'm just wondering how you know how severe the injuries to the various ligaments are.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #2187
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Based on his size and build I don't think Perkins will be healthy in the normal time frame we've expected from injuries like this. Who knows, though, as major knee injuries really aren't that major anymore.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:23 PM   #2188
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Of course, I'm just wondering how you know how severe the injuries to the various ligaments are.

I thought it was pretty well established he suffered a major knee injury?

Old 08-04-2010, 06:06 PM   #2189
Groundhog
Coordinator

Well, one thing is for certain; Shaq is a better fit in Boston's scheme than he was in Cleveland or Phoenix.

I'm assuming he's fine with 15-20 mins a game. It might be less once Perk comes back, because I think Jermaine > Shaq, though both guys are equally as injury prone so chances are this won't be a major issue.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:29 AM   #2190
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

The Lakers are bringing back Shannon Brown, inking him to a 2-year deal.

Guard Shannon Brown to re-sign with Lakers - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

The Lakeshow are looking very, very good, even without signing their draft picks.

Starters:
Fisher
Bryant
Artest
Gasol
Bynum

Bench:
Blake
Brown
Barnes
Odom
Ratliff
Walton
Vujacic
Ebanks?
Caracter?

Phil Jackson can play around with that line-up and create all sorts of big-ball and small-ball combinations to adapt to any opponent.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #2191
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think Blake was a very underated signing. He's a solid PG and perfect for that offense.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #2192
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
hmmm, as a talent evaluator i liked IT, but i'm not sure what this whole thing means. i operated under the assumption that Walsh was GM. what would IT be doing that Wlash wouldn't and would IT buy into the whole "we don't want to sign a Jerome James to $7million a year deal" philosophy that Walsh was operating under?

regardless, i reallt like this Knicks team right now - and they aren't even done filling out the roster. i'll like them more next year when we get Carmelo Anthony. but as it stands i can see myself watching this team every nite. right now i have Verizon Fios which means i don't get to watch the NYK in HD (only Cablevision customers get to see Knicks/Rangers in HD). the 2010-2011 team is something i would watch sans HD. really improved roster. don't care if we don't win the championship - i just wanna be entertained.

If you believe the Daily News, Isiah will be back as GM when Walsh leaves.

Donnie Walsh nearly resigned from New York Knicks upon learning of hiring of Isiah Thomas
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #2193
Groundhog
Coordinator

Sheesh, I knew Sean May had been injury prone, but I didn't realise exactly how bad it's been:

Quote:
A four-year NBA veteran with career averages of 6.9 points and 4.0 rebounds, May played in career-high 37 games last season with Sacramento, averaging 3.3 points and 1.9 rebounds.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:20 PM   #2194
stevew
Hall Of Famer

that's almost as many games as Wesley Person played in that timeframe*
Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 PM   #2195
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Sheesh, I knew Sean May had been injury prone, but I didn't realise exactly how bad it's been:

Being out of shape, fat, and having no work ethic to speak of does wonders for you when trying to come back from injuries.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #2196
Radii
Head Coach

There's always the 2005 NCAA Tournament, Sean <3. Too bad he never went anywhere after that, especially too bad if his work ethic sucked. By the end of that 2005 season he still had a ways to go but was running the floor so much better than in earlier seasons.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #2197
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Joe Dumars continues his mission of getting every single player hes ever wanted but was unable to get when they were good by signing Tracy McGrady to a 1 year deal. Considering all of our young players plus our highest paid players are swing players, this deal makes a ton of sense.

So for those counting at home, it has been McDyess (which worked), AI and T-Mac. Next season I expect us to come to terms with Jon Amachei since he was the guy we wanted in the S&T for Grant Hill but Orlando balked and had us take Ben Wallace instead.
DeToxRox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #2198
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Being out of shape, fat, and having no work ethic to speak of does wonders for you when trying to come back from injuries.

"Being fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, young man."

Old 08-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #2199
Groundhog
Coordinator

I found this an interesting read, re: Scalabrine/Harangody, the Token Celtics Whiteguy.

freedarko.com: Luke Harangody, Boston and the Gathering Whiteness

I share the authors optimism about Harangody too, and I think he's spot on when he asks who is more likely to have the 8-10 year NBA career - Harangody, or 1st round pick Orton? Even before Orton stunk it up in the summer league, I'd say Harangody every time.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:15 PM   #2200
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Chief Rum, your Clippers got the rough end of the scheduling stick. An 11-game road trip and a stretch of 17 of 20 away from L.A. All while the Lakers walk away with the easiest schedule in basketball.

Don't you guys have equal rights on Staples or do they pick dates first?
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote