Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-14-2021, 08:13 AM   #21851
bob
College Starter

I have two dumb questions about social security tax.

1) The wage base is $142,800. Let's say you make that by a certain point in the year, thus stop paying further social security tax, but then switch jobs. How does the new employer know to not collect that tax?

2) Alternatively, let's say you work two different jobs that combined will put you over that amount. I assume both would keep collecting and you would get refunded when doing taxes but do they get refunded too? And how would they know?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:14 AM   #21852
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

1) The wage base is $142,800. Let's say you make that by a certain point in the year, thus stop paying further social security tax, but then switch jobs. How does the new employer know to not collect that tax?

2) Alternatively, let's say you work two different jobs that combined will put you over that amount. I assume both would keep collecting and you would get refunded when doing taxes but do they get refunded too? And how would they know?

In both situations, the Social Security tax will be withheld and then get refunded when you file your taxes.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #21853
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry296 View Post
In both situations, the Social Security tax will be withheld and then get refunded when you file your taxes.

Correct. We had this happen a few years ago.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #21854
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post

You get a refund when you do your taxes. The IRS knows how much has been taken from you b/c it is on your forms. So if that amount is over the max, it is refunded to you (or used to offset income taxes you might owe).
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:20 AM   #21855
bob
College Starter

Ok, that makes sense, but what about the companies that paid their portion?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:23 AM   #21856
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I had this exact situation in 2019. Switched job in mid-May. Got a $10K+ tax refund the following year. I knew it was coming and had my taxes done so I could file on day 1 they accepted returns.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 04:45 PM   #21857
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The kid had to get a new laptop this week (his first in over 5 years) and he's quite pleased overall BUT just made an interesting discovery: it doesn't have a built-in camera.

I had no idea they even made laptops w/out cameras anymore.
Old 09-15-2021, 07:27 AM   #21858
Ksyrup

On the FB app, is anyone else getting a row of Gifs right above where you would type a comment? I can't tell if I accidentally hit a button that turned on that POS "feature" or if this is a new update. I can't figure out how to get rid of it but I hate it. I don't even post Gifs, WTF would I want to see a bunch of shitty Gifs, regardless of context, above where I can comment? They appear to change based on what FB or whoever's algorithm thinks the post is about.

Anyone else? Is there any way to get rid of this crap?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 09-15-2021, 07:31 AM   #21859
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Mine looks normal
Old 09-15-2021, 07:50 AM   #21860
Ksyrup

I can't figure out what I did. I even changed the keyboard thinking it might have something to do with that, but no.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 PM   #21861
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

My son has taken to writing Hunger Games fan fiction and reading it to us every night. Kill me now....
Old 09-16-2021, 07:52 PM   #21862
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
My son has taken to writing Hunger Games fan fiction and reading it to us every night. Kill me now....

This makes me laugh!
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:00 PM   #21863
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
This makes me laugh!

DM me your number and you can facetime...
Old 09-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #21864
21C
College Prospect

Actual email exchange with IT support.

Me:
If one of you is at school today, could I ask you to email me a file from the R drive?

I think it is located in
R:Staff/Reports/Awards/

I need the Awards.accdb file.

Them:
Yup send me the location and name and I can send it
Old 09-16-2021, 09:07 PM   #21865
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
DM me your number and you can facetime...

Does he dress up? Is there a theatrical element?

Last edited by thesloppy : 09-16-2021 at 09:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:12 PM   #21866
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesloppy View Post
Does he dress up? Is there a theatrical element?

No. It is rather monotone. Although if he has an audience something could be arranged. I am sure his sister would love to recruit the dog.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:22 PM   #21867
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Old 09-16-2021, 09:30 PM   #21868
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21C View Post
Actual email exchange with IT support.

Me:
If one of you is at school today, could I ask you to email me a file from the R drive?

I think it is located in
R:Staff/Reports/Awards/

I need the Awards.accdb file.

Them:
Yup send me the location and name and I can send it

This is how everyone keeps getting hacked FWIW. Social engineering is way more prevalent and easy than expensive day zero exploits and root kits.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:49 PM   #21869
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
This is how everyone keeps getting hacked FWIW. Social engineering is way more prevalent and easy than expensive day zero exploits and root kits.

Zero day exploits are rare and expensive. Stupid is cheap and plentiful

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:47 AM   #21870
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Want to know how to raise the stress level in my life?

Have me walk home to find the city deputy bailiff's card taped to my door. And then not be able to reach him until the next morning.

Bailiffs are there generally to haul people into court right?

(He was looking for prior owner of my condo)
Old 09-17-2021, 03:54 PM   #21871
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Random a.f., so in here it belongs. I'm repurposing from my social media cause FOFC doesn't have exclusive rights to my random shit.

Quote:
Deep thought time, unsolicited advice edition. I don't know if I can make it make as much sense as I'd like but I'm gonna try anyway.

I've come to the conclusion that one factor in "happiness" (whatever the hell that is) is having people around that you don't have to explain yourself to. As many of them as possible.

Now I don't mean "don't have to explain your actions to", I mean literally people who understand what you mean when you speak in your own particular shorthand. We all have that to some extent: Inside jokes, abbreviations, movie/song references, all the things that make up how we _think_ of stuff and sometimes _say_ it.

One person is certainly better than none, a half dozen is better than one, but I don't know that a hundred would be too many.

The more eclectic you are, the tougher that probably gets ... but it's a damned good life goal as far as my old tired self is concerned.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:58 PM   #21872
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Random a.f., so in here it belongs. I'm repurposing from my social media cause FOFC doesn't have exclusive rights to my random shit.

I've know my wife since High School, and one of the neat bonus things about having known each other for so long is that I can make an offhand reference to a person or event from back then, and I can use the kind of shorthand you are talking about.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:00 PM   #21873
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

PREACH!
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:29 PM   #21874
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
I've know my wife since High School, and one of the neat bonus things about having known each other for so long is that I can make an offhand reference to a person or event from back then, and I can use the kind of shorthand you are talking about.

I have that with a number of my social media (re)acquantainces from back home, indeed it's one of the most appealing things to me about many of them.

But the actual prompt for this was more ... topical? situational?

As it happened, I made a musical reference about something ("It's like if Larkin Poe was just one guy") and I realized that I MIGHT know a half dozen people in total who'd get that reference.

If it'd been a wrestling reference, depending on the vintage, under a dozen and probably closer to 2-3 if it was modern.

If it'd been a video game reference, a dozen on my social media tops.

Music, wrestling, video games: those are my primary three recreational reference points (*I don't expect random people to get stuff that's career specific), they're essential parts of my internal, and sometimes external, language.

And I have tragically fucking failed at having nearly enough people in my life who understand any of those things.
Old 09-18-2021, 06:15 AM   #21875
Edward64
Head Coach

Nice looking house, location and all. But $500M?

Quote:
the 105,000-square-foot home as having seven pools, a 50-car garage, a 10,000-bottle wine cellar and even its own nightclub. Promoted as being the largest and most expensive urban property in the world, "The One" was expected to come to market for $500 million,
:
Nearly a decade in the making, the home sits atop a hill in Bel Air, with views of the Los Angeles basin. The colossal home features 20 bedrooms, including eight bedrooms for the staff and a three-bedroom guest house, approximately 6 elevators, a library, cigar room and candy room, according to a two-part home tour posted on YouTube in April.

The home is promoted as having a four-lane bowling alley, a 50-seat movie theater, a putting green, wellness center and gym, beauty salon, juice bar and tennis court.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #21876
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Anyone here ever had a lemon sour? When I was a kid, every day after school I would walk to the square in town to wait for my mom to get off work. The pharmacy (well, actually both pharmacies) had a soda fountain and if I had a dollar I would get a lemon sour. Basically it was fountain soda, fresh lemon and you would top it with salt. It was just so good.

Couple of years ago someone I went to school with told me to try doing it with store bought club soda. I had tried in the past and it wasn't quite right. After she suggested it, I tried it with Publix club soda and it was perfect. Now, it is a near nightly treat. If I am of a mood, I'll add a little vodka. That is very tasty as well.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:10 PM   #21877
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I'm deciding if I should hit on a woman at work. I once told myself I wouldn't do so yet I'm 37 and my prospects at this point are very limited.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:19 PM   #21878
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

What's the story for Oregon playing Stony Brook?

Is it the shortage of lower division opponents on the west coast? Is the AD a Stony Brook alum? I mean, these things are usually somewhat regional, this just seems like a helluva odd pairing.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:33 PM   #21879
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh. Wife was like "where the heck is Stony Brook?" It's ridiculous, of course. Then again, what football sugar daddy are you going to find around NY?

-------------------

So, Diet Coke. WTF is going on here? Last couple of weeks at multiple stores there have been no bottles of it. Oh, there's plenty of the No Sugar stuff. Wife doesn't want No Sugar. She wants Diet Coke, and not the caffeine-free variety (which they do have). So what's the deal? If this is Coke trying to force the new product on us, it ain't working -- we're buying Diet Dr. Pepper instead. They need to cut this foolishness out,
Old 09-19-2021, 05:15 AM   #21880
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I'm deciding if I should hit on a woman at work. I once told myself I wouldn't do so yet I'm 37 and my prospects at this point are very limited.

We can't help if you don't post pics.

But sure, go for it (unless she reports to you, that's definitely a no-no).
Old 09-19-2021, 05:17 AM   #21881
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Anyone here ever had a lemon sour? When I was a kid, every day after school I would walk to the square in town to wait for my mom to get off work. The pharmacy (well, actually both pharmacies) had a soda fountain and if I had a dollar I would get a lemon sour. Basically it was fountain soda, fresh lemon and you would top it with salt. It was just so good.

Couple of years ago someone I went to school with told me to try doing it with store bought club soda. I had tried in the past and it wasn't quite right. After she suggested it, I tried it with Publix club soda and it was perfect. Now, it is a near nightly treat. If I am of a mood, I'll add a little vodka. That is very tasty as well.

I'll have to try that. What's the ratio of club soda and lemons?
Old 09-19-2021, 08:23 AM   #21882
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'll have to try that. What's the ratio of club soda and lemons?
It is just just a little lemon per soda. I use one of those giant cups (like a large at a sporting event), fill 1/4 to 1/2 with ice, then soda to almost the top. Then squeeze half a lemon in it. Top with salt (or you can put the salt on the ice. I like that as well). I would do like a quarter lemon to a normal size cup, but really you can't overdo the lemon part.
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #21883
Kodos
Resident Alien

I just passed Howard Dean on the street in New Haven while walking to get lunch. For the record, he did NOT let out a scream during our encounter.

Last edited by Kodos : 09-20-2021 at 12:11 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 12:26 PM   #21884
Critch
lolzcat

I'm working with an Indian guy on a system install, we're a team of two and gave the client an estimate of 3 weeks for the whole set up. Some senior client guy has got involved and wants it done in less time, suggests throwing more people at the set up. Doesnt really make sense.

In a meeting the Indian bloke said "excuse me Sir, you cannot make a baby in a month by impregnating nine ladies". Which may be the greatest thing I've ever heard said in a meeting.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #21885
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Awesome answer. Nothing pisses me off more than someone believing that throwing more people at an IT project (among other disciplines) makes it go faster.
Coffee Warlord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 04:02 PM   #21886
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I've often been on projects where they try to add a couple of incompetent people or people who would take longer to train than it would take to actually do the work.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:15 PM   #21887
cuervo72
Head Coach

Geez, first Kate Pierson, now Elvira? Gotta go through a mental list of my teenage lustings of campish types to see who else is gonna come out late in life.
Old 09-22-2021, 08:49 AM   #21888
Ksyrup

I need to get the hell off of FB, however there are groups I'd really like to continue following. Is the best course of action to simply deactivate my personal account and create a fake account to follow groups? I've always said the more I treat FB like MySpace the better the experience, but now I need to follow through with it.

Seems like trying to keep my personal account alive but disconnect individually from people is way too much effort.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:08 AM   #21889
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
I need to get the hell off of FB, however there are groups I'd really like to continue following. Is the best course of action to simply deactivate my personal account and create a fake account to follow groups? I've always said the more I treat FB like MySpace the better the experience, but now I need to follow through with it.

Seems like trying to keep my personal account alive but disconnect individually from people is way too much effort.

I just unfollow the people who make my blood pressure soar, been a much better experience.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #21890
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I just unfollow the people who make my blood pressure soar, been a much better experience.

Same. I set that bar pretty low and it works wonders.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:16 AM   #21891
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I just found out that the actress who played Nina on The Americans is married to Mel Gibson's son.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:22 AM   #21892
Ksyrup

I've gotten to the point where I feel like I want very little relationship-based contacts and transitioning to an all topic-based experience. My post was specifically about FB because that's my main social media hub, but it's probably more about trying to figure out a better/healthier internet experience and what that looks like on social media.

I'm still partial to message boards because I can choose whether to wade into certain topics, even passively. On social media, there is no choice - it's there, in your face, agree or disagree, whether I'm interested in the topic or not, whether I'm in the mood for it or not, and I just hate it. Especially when you layer on the ads that hit you every third post you scroll past. I feel like if I create a separate account with specific interests and no individual contacts, I can control it a bit better.

I don't know, just spitballing. I just know that right now, I hate opening FB and having to wade through the crap to get to the stuff I want. Twitter is in some ways worse, but in other ways more controllable because on Twitter, most people you follow have a specific purpose for their account. So the political stuff is more controllable there than your old college roommate who mixes pictures of kids and pets, sports posts and political/religious rants.
Old 09-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #21893
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
it's probably more about trying to figure out a better/healthier internet experience and what that looks like on social media.

doesn't exist. There is nothing healthy about the social media experience. Have you heard the stuff they were talking about today with Instagram and teens?

Instagram is bad for teens and Facebook knew it despite claiming otherwise | Business Standard News
Old 09-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #21894
spleen1015
Coordinator

If you hate opening it, why do you keep doing it?

I deleted my fb account in December 2018 and haven't looked back. I am pretty close to ditching twitter next, but I like using it for sports news and some of the folks I follow are very entertaining.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:01 AM   #21895
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

I deleted my fb account in December 2018 and haven't looked back. I am pretty close to ditching twitter next, but I like using it for sports news and some of the folks I follow are very entertaining.

Facebook has done a great job of centralizing everything. Party invites, school groups, girl scouts, etc...all communicate through it. I have a friend who ditched it and I have to constantly tell her about this or that. It is almost a necessity if you have kids.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:14 AM   #21896
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Facebook has done a great job of centralizing everything. Party invites, school groups, girl scouts, etc...all communicate through it. I have a friend who ditched it and I have to constantly tell her about this or that. It is almost a necessity if you have kids.

This is the thing that I was thinking of when Jon talked about people who just get you. Besides my family, I have friends who have have always been tolerant of my hate for most social media and will text or email about things to make sure I have the information. I usually have gotten the info in some other way but the just in case is appreciate.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:24 AM   #21897
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post

Because there is content that is worthwhile (information and knowledge I would like to have) in certain groups.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:27 AM   #21898
Ksyrup

Quote:

This is why I'm conflicted. Even stuff like community groups, where there are clearly political posts (particularly around Covid), there are things like people posting about traffic/construction, local government, school-related things, local restaurants, etc., that are beneficial.
Old 09-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #21899
Ksyrup

Even the little things, like my mom and MIL stalking my posts to "like" everything I comment on. My mom felt compelled to like and make a comment on some random music post I made that was just embarrassing. There's also that INDEPENDENT GEORGE! thing that I miss. I don't have any friends or family stalking me on this message board, that's for sure!
Old 09-22-2021, 12:01 PM   #21900
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So these questions appears on the job application where I work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Application
Which is longer, 1/2" or 5/8"?

How do people with a high school diploma get this question wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Application
How many 1/16" are in one inch?

How do people that are breathing get this question wrong?

Last edited by NobodyHere : 09-22-2021 at 12:14 PM.
NobodyHere is online now   Reply With Quote