Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #2101
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, while I fully admit to my own resignation to fatalism with respect to playing the Sox in the postseason, I was thinking about the psyche of the Angels players, and how they're probably in a different place.

After Wednesday, they probably could have been in the same place as the fans, no offense, another dominating performance from a Red Sox starter. But on Friday, they got down quick and fought back, repeatedly, scoring a run an inning for five innings to tie it up. I don't see them looking at Drew's homerun as fated to happen, as much as pissing them off that they let it get away. I can see them coming out of Friday thinking they had proved they could play with this team, and they just needed to make that one extra play to get it done.

So the Angels, I suspect, are probably spirited and angry tonight. I certainly hope so.

I don't think it changes results in the long run. But maybe we can end the streak at least (I hope), and get some personal momentum going for next season, when we will likely run into this some buzzsaw again (assuming we can make it back, never a sure thing).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #2102
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

You dumbasses. That was one of the stupidest defensive plays I have ever seen. All three of you should be replaced. Right. Now.

I would do it if I were manager. I would pull them off, and let them think about that stupid mistake all fucking offseason.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:34 PM   #2103
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm sorry chief. that's gotta be ridiculously frustrating
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #2104
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

NAPOLI!

Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #2105
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

"It's the first...three-run single in postseason history..."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Old 10-05-2008, 07:55 PM   #2106
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

can we have the real josh beckett back instead of this sucktackular imposter please?
Old 10-05-2008, 07:57 PM   #2107
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
You dumbasses. That was one of the stupidest defensive plays I have ever seen. All three of you should be replaced. Right. Now.

I would do it if I were manager. I would pull them off, and let them think about that stupid mistake all fucking offseason.

I would have gone out and just berated Kenderick and Hunter in front of the whole stadium. Would have been awesome.

On someone else's comments, I've been very impressed by how great TBS has done with these games. Some great insight, some great players, play-by-play guys who understand their roles and setup the color commentators well. Makes me so giddy to hear McCarver! (said with ultimate sarcasm)
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 08:26 PM   #2108
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
NAPOLI!

Old 10-05-2008, 08:27 PM   #2109
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

heh - beckett's a shadow of his former self. well actually he's a tubby overweight version of his former self
Old 10-05-2008, 08:37 PM   #2110
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
heh - beckett's a shadow of his former self. well actually he's a tubby overweight version of his former self

Can he pitch the next two games, too? Seriously, we're still looking at a one run game. For all of Beckett's suckitude tonight, this one is another tight one, and I hate those when we're in Fenway, we have the history with you guys that we do, and you have Big Papi.

Okay, I officially hate Jacob Ellsbury.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:42 PM   #2111
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Can he pitch the next two games, too? Seriously, we're still looking at a one run game. For all of Beckett's suckitude tonight, this one is another tight one, and I hate those when we're in Fenway, we have the history with you guys that we do, and you have Big Papi.

Okay, I officially hate Jacob Ellsbury.

Big Papi's a shadow this year too...he's an olddddd 32.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #2112
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Wow, great punch out of Ortiz by Saunders.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 PM   #2113
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Big Papi's a shadow this year too...he's an olddddd 32.

Okay, well, you have Bay and Drew.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:44 PM   #2114
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

yep - youks/bay/drew is gonna hafta get it done. along with pedroia+ellsbury to set the table
Old 10-05-2008, 08:45 PM   #2115
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

wtf was torii hunter doing not going back to catch that???
Old 10-05-2008, 08:53 PM   #2116
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Been kinda wondering just what Torii has been doing in this whole series. It's not like the guy doesn't have playoff experience.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #2117
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
I'll double down on that with Youkilis sliding into first and trying to break his ankle.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #2118
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i think youks was pissed...he was like "fuck no...i ain't about to lose a third out at firstbase this game to a fucked up pitcher or a stupid play"
Old 10-05-2008, 09:07 PM   #2119
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
I'll double down on that with Youkilis sliding into first and trying to break his ankle.

Yeah, that was pretty risky. He's lucky to have escaped injury there.

Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 PM   #2120
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Hmm...first time Ellsbury's aggressiveness actually worked against him.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 PM   #2121
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

That wasn't Hunter's finest moment, but given Masterson is a GB'er, it made a little sense to try and stay out of the DP.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 PM   #2122
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Heh...almost like Torii's being paid off or something. Sheesh.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #2123
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
That wasn't Hunter's finest moment, but given Masterson is a GB'er, it made a little sense to try and stay out of the DP.

I don't see how Hunter could have thought he would make it. There is aggression, and then there is just throwing your run away. This was the latter, IMO. I would rather risk the DP but be on base then take the automatic out at second.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:10 PM   #2124
hoopsguy
General Manager

OK, where did all the Boston people (and Chief Rum) go? Pretty compelling game going on right now ...
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #2125
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

I was ill in bed, and I'm trying like hell to get MLB.com radio working.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #2126
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

i'm right here
Old 10-05-2008, 11:13 PM   #2127
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

4-4 in the bottom of the 11th.

krod just got out of a bases loaded jam and paps got out of walking tex and giving up a hit to vlad
Old 10-05-2008, 11:14 PM   #2128
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

weaver's on for the halos

8-9-1 up for the sox
Old 10-05-2008, 11:15 PM   #2129
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

MLB.com is apparently a smoking crater
Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #2130
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

get on AIM and i'll keep you updated foz
Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #2131
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

fucking kotsay - wtf are you swinging at that for??? grrrrr
Old 10-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #2132
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

1b for coco!
Old 10-05-2008, 11:20 PM   #2133
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsguy View Post
OK, where did all the Boston people (and Chief Rum) go? Pretty compelling game going on right now ...

I'm here. Just stressing out watching this game. I'm going to be a mess tomorrow. And it's only 9 here. Boston fans must be all tore up (although at least you know without a doubt there's a tomorrow for you).

Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #2134
hoopsguy
General Manager

I have zero idea why I'm watching baseball today, let alone after 11PM.

But it is a good game.
hoopsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #2135
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Tell the truth on that one, Chief, on the sound of the bat, you were saying "Game Over" right?
Old 10-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #2136
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Tell the truth on that one, Chief, on the sound of the bat, you were saying "Game Over" right?

No, I don't leap to that conclusion, especially on a grounder toward the small left field of Fenway. But it was good contact and took a good play by Figgins to stop us needing a bam-bam play at home from GA and Naps.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #2137
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

I had considered some smarmy comment when the announcers said something like, "Setting up the big play for Aybar."

I hereby retract that never posted statement.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #2138
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

gj halos
Old 10-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #2139
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Actually, a game like this, if the Halos hang on, could be just what they need. I thought Sciossa was nuts to take the series with the rest, when the Halos have the superior pitching depth. Having a long game like this could turn the series.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 11:35 PM   #2140
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

TBH, I thought Friday was what they needed. I posted about it earlier. I think Friday pissed them off. But that still may not matter. We need to get three more outs--including the reportedly old Big Papi.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:47 PM   #2141
kingfc22
Head Coach

Very good playoff baseball game tonight
Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #2142
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Damnit. Grats Chief.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #2143
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Donnie Moore, you can finally rest in peace. Dave Henderson is finally out.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #2144
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Tomorrow becomes must watch if you're a baseball fan, IMO. But I am probably biased.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:51 PM   #2145
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

The funny thing (and I hope like hell I haven't doomed myself), is I half-joking, half to beat Sack to the punch, said to him via AIM after game 1.. "You know what's going to happen right? We're going to win game 2 to set the record, and then the Angels are going to come back and take the last three."
Old 10-05-2008, 11:52 PM   #2146
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
The funny thing (and I hope like hell I haven't doomed myself), is I half-joking, half to beat Sack to the punch, said to him via AIM after game 1.. "You know what's going to happen right? We're going to win game 2 to set the record, and then the Angels are going to come back and take the last three."

Heh...from your lips to God, my friend.

Old 10-05-2008, 11:57 PM   #2147
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

I gained a huge amount of respect for the Angels tonight. They are a legit ballclub. After getting beaten in two close, but not "all that close" games at home, they come into Fenway and win an extra innings game. I'm calling the Angels to win this series now.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:02 AM   #2148
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
I gained a huge amount of respect for the Angels tonight. They are a legit ballclub. After getting beaten in two close, but not "all that close" games at home, they come into Fenway and win an extra innings game. I'm calling the Angels to win this series now.

Well, as a fan, I appreciate that, and am glad you feel that way. That said, I think both of those first games were as close as they seemed, maybe even closer. Lackey made one mistake, and that's it. He was fantastic. He almost matched Lester, who was amazing. It was 2-1 going into that eighth where Vlad had his baserunning blunder. Until the ninth where Shields let a couple insurance runs go, that one was tight.

And Game Two was by rights the Angels game with how they came back. They earned it with the way they chipped away, and blew it when K-Rod did his usual shaky display (which he also did tonight, for crying out loud, but this time he got away with it).

No, the Sox deserved and earned both of those games. But those games were about as tight as you can get.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:03 AM   #2149
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

BTW, remember, Lackey almost no hit the Red Sox in this park three months ago. I think he will be good again tomorrow.

But the Angels are going to have to figure out Lester. And that's the tough part. I don't know if they can do it.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:06 AM   #2150
DanGarion
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-example View Post
Nose rags swept by douche bags. Fucking Cubs.

Gee thanks.
DanGarion is offline   Reply With Quote