Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #2101
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Crank - 7/10

A little weird, but not a bad movie by any means.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:21 PM   #2102
Kodos
Resident Alien

WALL-E. It was entertaining and was a visually impressive movie, but it wasn't as great as the FOFC hype-machine had suggested it might be. I'd give it a 7.5.

Last edited by Kodos : 07-06-2008 at 12:22 PM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #2103
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Maybe the story was good, I don't remember it that well now, I just remember that it was terribly painful to watch, the production was awful.

I don't think the story was amazing or anything. Pretty generic.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #2104
MikeVic
Head Coach

Shoot 'Em Up - 8.5/10
A guy has to take care of a baby while surviving multiple gun fights. What a jacked-up movie! Awesome over-the-top action sequences and funny lines comprise this movie. Don't think about realism and it's a very entertaining movie. Kind of reminds me of the crazy Doomsday movie. I don't mind action movies once in awhile with these many over-the-top or cheesy things, as long as they make sense within the world presented. I thought Owen and Giamatti were great, and Monica Bellucci was nice to look at.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:10 PM   #2105
oliegirl
Head Cheerleader

Location: Caught somewhere between Raising Hell and Amazing Grace...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
WALL-E. It was entertaining and was a visually impressive movie, but it wasn't as great as the FOFC hype-machine had suggested it might be. I'd give it a 7.5.

We saw this last night at the Drive In, and it was good, but I agree that FOFC made it to be more than it was for me. There were a few moments of greatness, but overall I thought it was a very well done story, I think they could have added a little more to the end and shown some of the progress that we assume is being made, but besides that little gripe I enjoyed it. 8/10
oliegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #2106
Lorena
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
Shoot 'Em Up - 8.5/10
A guy has to take care of a baby while surviving multiple gun fights. What a jacked-up movie! Awesome over-the-top action sequences and funny lines comprise this movie. Don't think about realism and it's a very entertaining movie. Kind of reminds me of the crazy Doomsday movie. I don't mind action movies once in awhile with these many over-the-top or cheesy things, as long as they make sense within the world presented. I thought Owen and Giamatti were great, and Monica Bellucci was nice to look at.

Fuck me sideways, you finally saw it!
Lorena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:25 PM   #2107
Lorena
Unregistered

Lucky Number Slevin - 6.5/10

Great dialogue, nice sets, decent storyline. A mistaken identity lands Josh Harnett's character in some hot water.

Antmeister figured the movie out about halfway through. I'm a have to watch Pulp Fiction again since this movie seems to be compared to it.
Old 07-06-2008, 11:32 PM   #2108
Greyroofoo
Pro Starter

Gods and Generals 6.5/10

I wanted to give this movie a better score. But It was about an hour too long. If it had only focused on Stonewall Jackson it would've much better. However it tries to be about 3 movies in 1.
Greyroofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:48 PM   #2109
Lorena
Unregistered

Are We There Yet? - 3/10

Ice Cube is in charge of 2 kids and all hell breaks loose when these kids find out that The Iceman digs their mom. Some stuff was mildly entertaining but jeez, these kids need a serious time-out.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:19 AM   #2110
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
I don't think the story was amazing or anything. Pretty generic.

That's where I'm wondering about your rating. To be fair, I've probably rated decently some questionable flicks, but I'm just wondering if you thought the story was pretty bread then how could you give it such an ok rating, when the lead and most of the cast was pretty sub-par acting wise, and the direction was paltry... Not to diss you MV, as you are usually pretty close with me opinion-wise.

Last edited by korme : 07-07-2008 at 03:21 AM.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 03:50 AM   #2111
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Lucky Number Slevin - 6.5/10

Great dialogue, nice sets, decent storyline. A mistaken identity lands Josh Harnett's character in some hot water.

Antmeister figured the movie out about halfway through. I'm a have to watch Pulp Fiction again since this movie seems to be compared to it.

Compraring Lucky Number Slevin to Pulp Fiction is like comparing Lenny Kravitz to Jimi Hendrix. They may look the same on the outside....but that's about all there is to it.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #2112
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Vantage Point - 8.5/10.

The President is shot while about to give a speech in Spain, but what really happened? We get to see the story unfold from multiple points of view.

The first half of this movie is the same 10-15 minutes shown from the points of view of different people. I've heard some call this annoying to keep seeing the same action, but I found it a very interesting storytelling technique to put us in the places of each of these different people and have things unfold in this way. The second half of the story gives us the resolution. There was a little bit of cheese toward the end and some obvious attempts to tug at our heartstrings needlessly, but I was fully engrossed the whole 90 minutes.
BrianD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #2113
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
Compraring Lucky Number Slevin to Pulp Fiction is like comparing Lenny Kravitz to Jimi Hendrix. They may look the same on the outside....but that's about all there is to it.

Lucky Number Slevin seems like a better comparison to a combination of Get Shorty, and The Whole Nine Yards.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #2114
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
That's where I'm wondering about your rating. To be fair, I've probably rated decently some questionable flicks, but I'm just wondering if you thought the story was pretty bread then how could you give it such an ok rating, when the lead and most of the cast was pretty sub-par acting wise, and the direction was paltry... Not to diss you MV, as you are usually pretty close with me opinion-wise.

Yeah, I'm looking at the rating I gave and thinking what I liked about the movie... I think it was just that I watched it late, liked how the main guy was so good at the game, and liked Walken... and that carried me through the movie enjoying it. Maybe not a solid 7.5, but I tend to rate higher rather than lower.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:26 AM   #2115
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorena View Post
Fuck me sideways, you finally saw it!

Haha, yup.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:19 PM   #2116
Logan
Head Coach

Miller's Crossing - 9.5/10

Wow, how did I miss this one for so long? Thanks to my roommate for forcing me to watch it. Just a great movie. I've always liked Gabriel Byrne, John Turturro is one of the most underrated actors out there, and Jon Polito owning the screen and providing some great comedy (ethics, ethics). Awesome storyline, great dialogue, solid twists that didn't overpower...very well done by the Coen brothers.

Last edited by Logan : 07-07-2008 at 12:19 PM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #2117
st.cronin
General Manager

Wanted - 1/10

Terrible. Angelina Jolie doesn't even look that great. Speaking of Jolie, I was trying to think of what movies I had seen her in besides the Lara Croft movies (which I loved), and drew a total blank. So I went to imdb, and found only one other - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (which I also liked). For such a big star, she doesn't really have an impressive filmography.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #2118
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Yeah, I'm looking at the rating I gave and thinking what I liked about the movie... I think it was just that I watched it late, liked how the main guy was so good at the game, and liked Walken... and that carried me through the movie enjoying it. Maybe not a solid 7.5, but I tend to rate higher rather than lower.

Fair enough, I'll leave you alone now.
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:48 PM   #2119
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin View Post
Speaking of Jolie, I was trying to think of what movies I had seen her in besides the Lara Croft movies (which I loved), and drew a total blank. So I went to imdb, and found only one other - Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (which I also liked). For such a big star, she doesn't really have an impressive filmography.

Did you not see "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"? Or "Alexander"? She won an Oscar for "Girl, Interrupted". Oh, and if you haven't seen the HBO movie "Gia" RENT IT NOW!
Old 07-07-2008, 12:52 PM   #2120
MikeVic
Head Coach

Hackers too.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #2121
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Did you not see "Mr. and Mrs. Smith"? Or "Alexander"? She won an Oscar for "Girl, Interrupted". Oh, and if you haven't seen the HBO movie "Gia" RENT IT NOW!

Yeah, I did see Mr. and Mrs. Smith, but I'm trying to forget about it. That was another dog. The others I haven't seen.

knives out
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 PM   #2122
MikeVic
Head Coach

Mr and Mrs. Smith was great!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #2123
rowech
Pro Starter

Yeah....Mr. and Mrs. Smith was a great movie.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 01:20 PM   #2124
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Meh... "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" was great fun.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #2125
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Meh... "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" was great fun.

+1

I wouldn't call it a good movie, but it was certainly a fun movie.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:45 PM   #2126
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Yep... and it didn't try to be anything other than a fun movie. The dinner scene was really quite amusing .
Old 07-07-2008, 07:40 PM   #2127
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yep... and it didn't try to be anything other than a fun movie. The dinner scene was really quite amusing .

Heh...that reminds me to add this to my list of cheapo DVDs to go out and buy next time I am on a movie shopping spree. I thought this one was a lot of fun.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:56 PM   #2128
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Hackers too.

Jolie in a Devils jersey

YOWZAA!!!!!!!
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 PM   #2129
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Idiocracy - 9/10
Quite entertaining. The story was a good idea (and sadly too believable), though it felt like it ended "too quickly" for me. That was a minor quibble, though, as I definitely enjoyed it and will probably watch it again. I bought it for $6, can't really complain about that, either.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #2130
Johnny93g
College Starter

Hancock 4/10

The plot really kills this one. There really is no conflict, no enemy, no suspence. No reason to really care about any of the characters. The twist was as predictable of a twist in recent memory. The big fight scene 2/3's in was awful. The special effects made it too hard to actually follow what was happening. The movie seemed to drag, and felt much longer then 90 minutes.

Thank god we are nearing the "good movie season." I'm looking forward to going to a movie i expect to be good. Bring on Batman!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #2131
Groundhog
Coordinator

Mongol - 8.5/10

Pretty great epic, and part 1 of a planned trilogy, on Genghis Khan, covering basically his early life up until he unites the Mongols. Shot in Mongolia and Khazikstan, it's got some of the best cinematography I've seen in a while.

It's got all the romance, drama, and battle scenes you expect from an epic like this, but without all the Hollywood cheese that ruined movies like Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven. Highly recommended, and I can't wait to see what the director does with the rest of Genghis Khan's life.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:05 PM   #2132
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Mongol - 8.5/10

Pretty great epic, and part 1 of a planned trilogy, on Genghis Khan, covering basically his early life up until he unites the Mongols. Shot in Mongolia and Khazikstan, it's got some of the best cinematography I've seen in a while.

It's got all the romance, drama, and battle scenes you expect from an epic like this, but without all the Hollywood cheese that ruined movies like Alexander and Kingdom of Heaven. Highly recommended, and I can't wait to see what the director does with the rest of Genghis Khan's life.

Wanted to see this, but didn't get around to it. I admit I don't automatically run to the theaters for the indy flicks unless there is nothing else out there. I usually see these sorts on DVD down the road.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:09 PM   #2133
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Wanted to see this, but didn't get around to it. I admit I don't automatically run to the theaters for the indy flicks unless there is nothing else out there. I usually see these sorts on DVD down the road.

I'd recommend catching this one at the theatre if you get the chance. The landscapes looked amazing on the big screen. Mongolia has definately been added to my list of places to visit.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #2134
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Mongol - 8.5/10

I wanted to see this (obviously), but it didn't get a wide release and never saw it anywhere near me. According to Netflix, it comes out on DVD in September so only a few months to wait for it.

Just one point, I did read several reviews and it sounds like movie got some facts wrong (I have also read some reviews that state "historical facts" about the Genghis and the Mongols that are total myths...), but I generally am not bothered by those kinds of things. As long as the movie is good, I'll like it, regardless of the historical accuracy.

EDIT: I just checked and there is a theater playing it semi-near me. Is it dubbed or subtitles?

Last edited by sabotai : 07-08-2008 at 08:24 PM.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #2135
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpkristin View Post
Idiocracy - 9/10
Quite entertaining. The story was a good idea (and sadly too believable), though it felt like it ended "too quickly" for me. That was a minor quibble, though, as I definitely enjoyed it and will probably watch it again. I bought it for $6, can't really complain about that, either.

/tk

On further reflection, I think I'm dropping this to an 8/10 instead of a 9. It was good, but just not "9" good.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #2136
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
Just one point, I did read several reviews and it sounds like movie got some facts wrong (I have also read some reviews that state "historical facts" about the Genghis and the Mongols that are total myths...), but I generally am not bothered by those kinds of things. As long as the movie is good, I'll like it, regardless of the historical accuracy.

Yeah, no question that the movie made some pretty, IMO, significant changes to the "accepted history". Usually this bugs the hell out of me, but not so much with Genghis Khan, because the "accepted history" is based almost entirely on legend and myth anyway - especially regarding his life before he became the Great Khan, which is the time this movie covers.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:35 PM   #2137
Groundhog
Coordinator

Oh, and it's subtitled.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 PM   #2138
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Oh, and it's subtitled.

Good, I hate when movies are dubbed.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:24 AM   #2139
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Starship Troopers - 8/10

After watching the film again (just bought a DVD), I will have to say that this is one of the campiest movies I've ever seen. And I love it. Michael Ironside is a GOD. Hahaha.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:15 AM   #2140
Kodos
Resident Alien

I hate both subtitles and dubbing!
Old 07-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #2141
Pyser
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neon_Chaos View Post
Starship Troopers - 8/10

After watching the film again (just bought a DVD), I will have to say that this is one of the campiest movies I've ever seen. And I love it. Michael Ironside is a GOD. Hahaha.

someone told me its analogy for jews. the bugs = jews. troopers = nazis. made me pause

still love the movie, though, and the use of propaganda is pretty awesome
Pyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:47 PM   #2142
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyser View Post
someone told me its analogy for jews. the bugs = jews. troopers = nazis. made me pause

still love the movie, though, and the use of propaganda is pretty awesome

Don't know about the analogies, the movie drifted waaaaaaay off the source material.

The book was very, very good. (Of course, the fact that Juan Rico, the protagonist, was a Filipino living in Buenos Aires wasn't bad too... heh.)

I think Paul Verhoeven used the universe and put his usual robocop / total recall touch on it.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #2143
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Don't know about the analogies, the movie drifted waaaaaaay off the source material.

The book was very, very good. (Of course, the fact that Juan Rico, the protagonist, was a Filipino living in Buenos Aires wasn't bad too... heh.)

I think Paul Verhoeven used the universe and put his usual robocop / total recall touch on it.

I haven't read the book, but I've heard that it's on the reading lists of many of the branches of the U.S. military based on its depiction of small infantry units. (This what some guy told me years ago.) It's a pretty serious book with some very strong political, moral, civic and philsophical lessons.

Based on everything I've heard about the book, I like Verhoeven's satrical spin on the whole thing. I mean, seriously, what's better than Doogie Howser walking out there in that Nazis-looking getup? Priceless.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:26 PM   #2144
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Starship Troopers - 8/10

Denise Richards is Hawt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:34 PM   #2145
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Denise Richards is Hawt

Dizzy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Carmen
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #2146
BrianD
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Agreed. Denise Richards is one of those people that seems like they should be attractive but just isn't, and I'm not exactly sure why.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:43 PM   #2147
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

True, but that doesn't mean Carmen isn't hot, just that Dizzy is way hotter.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:57 PM   #2148
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianD View Post
Agreed. Denise Richards is one of those people that seems like they should be attractive but just isn't, and I'm not exactly sure why.

It may be because she was married to Charlie Sheen. With that being said, she is still hot. Although I would have to put Dizzy right up there with her in that movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 09:30 PM   #2149
Flasch186
Coordinator

Goya's Ghost 10/10

Wow, add this to your queues now. The acting by Bardem was just impeccable and Portman is amazing. I absolutely loved this movie and eventhough it seemed long I wanted it to keep going. Great movie not for the kiddies though.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 11:13 AM   #2150
Lorena
Unregistered

Flags of our Fathers - 7/10

I wasn't really attached to any of the characters as I normally am with war movies. Some parts seemed a bit slow and some of the scenes a little drawn out. Good movie with great cinematography, I'm interested in watching Letters From Iwo Jima since most ppl think that was the better movie.