Ah, I see.

And new Bayonetta 2 trailer.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #2103
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
Yeah, Titanfall was such a flop, it was the best selling next-gen game for only 12 weeks. I guess no one does care.

How many units a game sells does not represent quality in any way. It was all about the hype. I personally have found this to be the worst game purchase I've made in all of my console buying years. You spend about as much time in a lobby constantly waiting for people to drop in and out that you do playing.
Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #2104
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
How many units a game sells does not represent quality in any way. It was all about the hype. I personally have found this to be the worst game purchase I've made in all of my console buying years. You spend about as much time in a lobby constantly waiting for people to drop in and out that you do playing.

Just curious, which server are you on? I rarely have to wait more than a minute in the lobby before getting to a game. I find if I do have issues, they go away when switching to a different server. But if the gameplay just didn't appeal to you, then no reduction in the amount of wait in a lobby can address that.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint

Last edited by cartman : 06-10-2014 at 09:09 PM.
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:30 PM   #2105
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
Not to mention a new Xenoblade Chronicles

Honestly, until the Nopon popped out at the end, there wasn't really much of an indication it was even in the same Xenoblade Chronicles universe. That said, it looks like some cross between maybe Xenosaga and Gundam so sign me up day 1. Lord knows I've put over 80 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles and the only reason why it isn't about double that and a completist finish is because I moved. It's one of the best games I've played in a really long time.

I'm trying to decide if I've been pushed into getting a WiiU yet. But I should decide soon with the great deal they have on the Mario Kart bundle with the free game. But I'm just not as excited about digital games as physical ones so I may hold off for a different (not necessarily better) deal.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-10-2014 at 08:31 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM   #2106
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
This could be fun nights for FOFC peeps...

This looks cool but all these games just turn into run and gunners online. No one will actually take a strategic approach.
RainMaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:15 PM   #2107
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

So we get several new fighters for Smash Bros Today
Palutena from Kid Icarus
Mii Fighters (some kind of customizable fighter)

and PAC-MAN? wtf...........

Still no word on Captain Falcon. I'm wishing they introduce him and a new F-Zero game at the same time but I'm very doubtful.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 06-10-2014 at 10:19 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:12 PM   #2108
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

New Phantom Dust for X1. One of the few games that I really liked as a console game. I think I'll wait on the new version and then take a look at the skills. I think it would be painfully easy to convert it into board game form.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:14 PM   #2109
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Just curious, which server are you on? I rarely have to wait more than a minute in the lobby before getting to a game. I find if I do have issues, they go away when switching to a different server. But if the gameplay just didn't appeal to you, then no reduction in the amount of wait in a lobby can address that.

I didn't even know there was more than one server. Thanks for that info, I'll check it out. If I could get into games without constant connection issues I might give it more of a chance. But when I start out every game frustrated and usually get my butt kicked, it's a recipe for me being unhappy and playing a different game quickly.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #2110
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
I didn't even know there was more than one server. Thanks for that info, I'll check it out. If I could get into games without constant connection issues I might give it more of a chance. But when I start out every game frustrated and usually get my butt kicked, it's a recipe for me being unhappy and playing a different game quickly.

It is on the main screen, in the lower right. Should say something like Data Center: South (or whatever location it shows). Hit X, and you can select a different one.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:44 AM   #2111
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
This looks cool but all these games just turn into run and gunners online. No one will actually take a strategic approach.

True.. unless you can get 8 friends to play.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 AM   #2112
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Awesome reactions.

Seen@E3: The Joystiq Project Morpheus Luge Experience | Joystiq
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #2113
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

dola

We'll have to wait and see the NPD's for June, but if online sales are any indicator, MS hasn't solved its problem. The new SKU for the $399 X1 is barely in the top 50 of sales on Amazon despite just being released. Meanwhile, both the regular PS4 and the Destiny PS4 bundle are in the top 10 in sales. Gamestop appears to be claiming that it's selling well, but no other retailers appear to be reflecting that train of thought.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM   #2114
BillJasper
Pro Starter

When did it release with the new price point? I'd give it a little time before saying Microsoft hasn't solved the problem.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 AM   #2115
Kodos
Resident Alien

WHEN WILL YOU REALIZE THAT THE XBOX 1 IS DOOMED?!?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #2116
mckerney
Coordinator

I'm still surprised Microsoft's E3 conference wasn't simply someone on stage saying, "Big news everyone, we've just been bought out by Sony! See you all the the Playstation show tonight."
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 PM   #2117
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
When did it release with the new price point? I'd give it a little time before saying Microsoft hasn't solved the problem.

Most believed their was some form of pent-up demand because of the $499 price point that would be solved by dropping Kinect and meeting the price point of the PS4. That hasn't played out thus far.

And let's not forget that MS was offering pre-orders for the X1 console. Just because the price point just went into effect doesn't mean that we shouldn't be able to see what kind of demand is there. MS has been obliterated over the last couple of months in the NPD numbers, finishing below even the Wii U. MS stuck with the 'our fans are just waiting for the price drop' mantra in response. If we don't see a significant boost, then you have to question if that really was the case.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:58 PM   #2118
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I'd expect the price cut is closer to a year plan than a 1 week plan.

Though to be honest, I have no fucking clue what point you are trying to make. Sales didn't get to a billion immediately upon price drop so failure? We are still in early adopter phase and most early adopters have chosen.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 PM   #2119
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

Though to be honest, I have no fucking clue what point you are trying to make. Sales didn't get to a billion immediately upon price drop so failure? We are still in early adopter phase and most early adopters have chosen.

You're absolutely right. We're in the early adopter phase, which is normally shown to be a time where functionality and price do not change for at least a year after launch. That has held true for the PS4, but not the X1. We're in unprecedented territory here. We've never had a situation where a console makes two major functionality changes AND has a 20% price drop in less than 8 months. Also, the price drop has been known for a couple months now. It's not like this is some big surprised that was just popped on us in E3. There was time for the demand to build (which most thought was shown by the bad sales numbers the past two months). It hasn't materialized on the X1's second 'launch'.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #2120
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post

This, pretty much.

The tale won't be told on whether the price change worked until we go through the holiday buying season most likely, or at least until there are some compelling titles (and an absence of same on 360) to make the purchase worthwhile for those outside the early adopter crowd.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #2121
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
This, pretty much.

The tale won't be told on whether the price change worked until we go through the holiday buying season most likely, or at least until there are some compelling titles (and an absence of same on 360) to make the purchase worthwhile for those outside the early adopter crowd.

This is the most correct thing Jon has ever said.

I mean, in fairness, "correct things Jon has ever said" is a short list to choose from, but it's still #1 with a bullet on that list.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:43 PM   #2122
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I think it sets up for a lot of interest in their E3 presentation to see what exactly they're really going to make the focus going forward. We assumed it was going to be games, games and games, but this has to make you wonder.

Since the focus at E3 indeed was "games, games, games" I guess you have to find something else to wonder about.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:45 PM   #2123
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
This is the most correct thing Jon has ever said.

I mean, in fairness, "correct things Jon has ever said" is a short list to choose from, but it's still #1 with a bullet on that list.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #2124
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The whole "absence of titles for 360" issue also feels to me, at this point, like it looms larger than I may have consciously realized until very recently.

That's definitely a big part of the "what to do re: consoles" conversation that's taking place in my house at this point. I can't imagine we're THAT unique in that regard.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:36 PM   #2125
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Phil Spencer explains why you should buy a Xbox One.....

Microsoft’s Xbox boss explains why you should buy an Xbox One over a PS4 - Yahoo Small Business Advisor
Old 06-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #2126
SackAttack
Head Coach

You're not. That said, traditionally what happens is the outgoing console continues to be profitable for the manufacturer for a while; the manufacturer continues to ride the gravy train as long as significant third parties are making games, whether it's EA with Madden, or somebody else with something else. It's all profit at that point, so why not milk it?

The early adopters adopt early, and the families lag behind a bit and begin adopting when the price comes down to the $200-250 mark.

Microsoft is kind of the anomaly there in that they pulled the plug on Xbox just as fast as they possibly could after releasing Xbox 360, because their parts contract for Xbox meant that the system was never going to be profitable. Xbox 360 is in a different boat, and so Microsoft can afford to let it collect free money for them for a while, but there may come a point where they have to choose between allowing the Xbox 360 ecosystem to continue existing or taking it out back and shooting it to "encourage" adoption of the new platform.

I mean, they're not at that point right now, but if sales are still languishing this time next year, they'd have to at least consider it.

That's not a "problem" Nintendo and Sony have ever had. They've just left their systems on shelves until people quit buying them altogether. I suspect you'll still be able to buy a PS3 at Best Buy 3 years from now. Wii, probably not; its sales popularity was waning even a year or two before Wii U came out.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:46 PM   #2127
Kodos
Resident Alien

The absence of titles on Next Gen has allowed me to not make the jump so far. I know I'm getting a PS4. I'm hoping I can hold out until the price drop. Madden 15, if good, will make that difficult.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:30 PM   #2128
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Six months ago I never thought I'd consider this, but after the press conferences I am seriously considering getting a WiiU as my "next-gen" system. I have a decent gaming PC. I like having a console, but my PS3 mostly sat unused the past couple of years. But the WiiU looks like it has a lot of fun stuff coming out that I wouldn't be able to experience on a PC.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #2129
chadritt
High School Varsity

thats the argument I would make for a WiiU, which I recently bought, I cant get their games anywhere else. All the other consoles are pretty much the same save for a couple of exclusives, which sucks because I want both Uncharted 4 and Sunset Overdrive, but I can only get Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Zelda, and Mario games on my Wii U. Honestly the PS4 and XBoxOne games arent different enough from my PS3 games yet.
chadritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #2130
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm happy that I'm already invested in the XB1 - there are some great games coming out that I'm excited for. Seems like next gen games are going to take some time to play though.. so as long as they trickle out, I'm happy.

Watch Dogs has been fantastic.. so I'm excited for the next round of games.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:05 PM   #2131
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

It released TWO DAYS AGO. June 9th.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:16 PM   #2132
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Gamestop appears to be claiming that it's selling well, but no other retailers appear to be reflecting that train of thought.

I'm assuming you have this info because you've been calling stores, like you did after the launch?
Old 06-11-2014, 06:32 PM   #2133
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm assuming you have this info because you've been calling stores, like you did after the launch?

E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop - GameSpot

I had to laugh at the whole thing after he claimed that the $499 model is still 'very vibrant'. That shot any credibility he had.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #2134
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
E3 2014: $399 Xbox Ones "Flying Off The Shelves" at GameStop - GameSpot

I had to laugh at the whole thing after he claimed that the $499 model is still 'very vibrant'. That shot any credibility he had.

Perhaps you shouldn't be talking about people not having any credibility.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #2135
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Perhaps you shouldn't be talking about people not having any credibility.

So you believe that the $499 model is in fact moving off shelves? Interesting. We'll see who's right. I believe he's full of shit and the NPD numbers in June will bear that out.

I'm personally much in line with chadritt. I'm likely going to pick up one of the $200 Wii U's from Nintendo to play with my kids. Good fit for me and my family. It's not selling well, but there's enough there to warrant a purchase.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-11-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #2136
cartman
Death Herald

Last time I checked, the Xbox One is still the 2nd fastest selling console of all-time.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:53 PM   #2137
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Last time I checked, the Xbox One is still the 2nd fastest selling console of all-time.
Pffft, you should know that anything less than number one is a failure,
Old 06-11-2014, 09:14 PM   #2138
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Probably off the radar for most, but this has me pretty amped:

E3 2014: Nintendo Reveals Code Name S.T.E.A.M. for 3DS - IGN

It's described as that old story about Abe Lincoln and his secret agency fighting aliens in steampunk London using Silver Age comic art (tho no screens yet). It's done by Intelligent Systems, developer of, most notably, Fire Emblem and Advanced Wars (as well as some Paper Mario, Wario Ware, and quite a few others). As long as the first screen caps don't look like utter crap, I'm getting it.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-11-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:16 PM   #2139
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I really hope Citizens of Earth turns out to be good. I like games that have a sense of humor to them and very few games have a political twist. I'm hoping this has an Earthbound feel to it. Or at least Nintendo announces another Earthbound.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:23 PM   #2140
Groundhog
Coordinator

No Mans Sky looks incredible, but I fear it's going to be another Spore - ie. pretty, but shallow. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #2141
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
No Mans Sky looks incredible, but I fear it's going to be another Spore - ie. pretty, but shallow. I hope I'm wrong.

I would sell your firstborn for the chance to play No Man's Sky right now. But yeah, as I was telling a friend of mine earlier, there's definitely a bit of Molyneux Syndrome going on there. It looks impressive, and the developers are massively raising expectations for what the game is going to be, but it's important to take a step back and take a deep breath, because what finally gets delivered will only realize a fraction of the vision they expressed the other day.

How significant a fraction will determine whether the game is worth playing or not.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:27 AM   #2142
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So you believe that the $499 model is in fact moving off shelves? Interesting. We'll see who's right. I believe he's full of shit and the NPD numbers in June will bear that out.

I'm personally much in line with chadritt. I'm likely going to pick up one of the $200 Wii U's from Nintendo to play with my kids. Good fit for me and my family. It's not selling well, but there's enough there to warrant a purchase.

How would you have time to play it with all those quality PS4 games?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #2143
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
How would you have time to play it with all those quality PS4 games?

I try to spend lots of quality time with my kids every day, whether it's games, video games, reading, etc. I usually play PS4 after they go to bed.
Old 06-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #2144
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:

It's. Been. THREE. Days.

Seriously, dude. You need to go see a shrink or something, because this is just unhealthy.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:36 PM   #2145
Mota
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

I'm just saying that because you called the new Xbox console a failure because less than 48 hours after being released wasn't on the top items on a website. Then the CEO of the biggest video gaming retailer says it is doing well and you said he had no credibility.

I'm of the belief that neither one of those means all that much. NPD will tell the true story as you say. And I don't have a stake in either company, I just want good games. I have both consoles already. The true story to be told is what will play out on my screen while I'm holding a controller and hopefully having a fun time.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #2146
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
It's. Been. THREE. Days.

Seriously, dude. You need to go see a shrink or something, because this is just unhealthy.

DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:24 PM   #2147
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I'm just saying that because you called the new Xbox console a failure because less than 48 hours after being released wasn't on the top items on a website. Then the CEO of the biggest video gaming retailer says it is doing well and you said he had no credibility.

I'm of the belief that neither one of those means all that much. NPD will tell the true story as you say. And I don't have a stake in either company, I just want good games. I have both consoles already. The true story to be told is what will play out on my screen while I'm holding a controller and hopefully having a fun time.

I didn't call it a failure. I said it wasn't moving well and MS has to be frustrated that this hasn't had the effect that they expected. That's kind of been the situation every step of the way thus far.

I do stand by my statement that the CEO of Gamestop has no credibility in this situation. He's wanting to stir up sales that simply are not there. That will be proven out by the NPD in June. The NPD coming out in a couple days is going to be a nightmare for MS, but they'll play it off and say wait until next month.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #2148
SackAttack
Head Coach

So why isn't he singing the praises of the Wii U, by your logic? If he has no credibility anyway, why not just go balls-out?
Old 06-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #2149
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I didn't call it a failure.

This is you calling it a failure:

Quote:
dola

We'll have to wait and see the NPD's for June, but if online sales are any indicator, MS hasn't solved its problem.

Last edited by jeff061 : 06-12-2014 at 10:05 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #2150
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I didn't call it a failure. I said it wasn't moving well and MS has to be frustrated that this hasn't had the effect that they expected. That's kind of been the situation every step of the way thus far.

I do stand by my statement that the CEO of Gamestop has no credibility in this situation. He's wanting to stir up sales that simply are not there. That will be proven out by the NPD in June. The NPD coming out in a couple days is going to be a nightmare for MS, but they'll play it off and say wait until next month.

Considering that less than a week of the month will be post E3 time, the NPD numbers for July will matter a lot more than June's. But, really, the ones that will matter most will be November and December since they dwarf the numbers the rest of the year.

SI