Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-05-2011, 06:11 AM   #2101
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

This game has just been an enjoyable experience. Many thanks to Brian.

It was released near perfect and despite that he is still making minor adjustments 2 years later. I would never have any reservations about purchasing any of his games.

It makes me angry that GDS hasnt done more to promote it. In fact very little is said about this great game over there.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 11:58 PM   #2102
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

The transfer issue is a result of using the option that lets you redshirt any player. I've made some tweaks so that players will still transfer in that setting but I still need to check a few things. The main thing left is updating the email that lists which players are willing to redshirt so that it correctly identifies which players may transfer if redshirted. Hopefully I should be able to get the update posted tomorrow night.
HeavyReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:28 PM   #2103
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Took a few days longer than expected but here is a fix for the transfer issue when using the unlimited redshirting option:

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2230.exe

I'd recommend switching in the offseason if you are experiencing this issue to avoid having players you are redshirting transfer. For everyone using the default rules this won't have any effect.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #2104
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyReign View Post
I'll point out that 2.2.26 is needed in order for the game to recognize the coach file as well.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2226.exe

Where is the coaching file suppose to be put in order to read it?

Program Files/GDS/FBCB2010 or Program Files(x86)/GDS/FBCB2010?

I actually have it in both currently yet when I am beginning a game and choose "Use Existing Coach File" the only option is 'No'.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-11-2011 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:10 AM   #2105
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Where is the coaching file suppose to be put in order to read it?

Program Files/GDS/FBCB2010 or Program Files(x86)/GDS/FBCB2010?

I actually have it in both currently yet when I am beginning a game and choose "Use Existing Coach File" the only option is 'No'.

C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 AM   #2106
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
C:\Users\Public\Documents\GDS\Fast Break College Basketball 2010

Thanks DC.
Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 AM   #2107
bryce
High School Varsity

Thanks HR.
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #2108
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

African Names File

Been wanting to do this for a while. What I did was replace all of the UK names with African names. Mostly Igbo (Nigerian) names but some Arabic ones in there too as well as others. Heavily trends West African obviously since most players who play college come from there more than anywhere else.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt UKFirstNames.txt (545 Bytes, 15 views)
File Type: txt UKLastNames.txt (596 Bytes, 14 views)

Last edited by Young Drachma : 11-12-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 01:35 AM   #2109
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Here's a bug I noticed a while ago, but sort of forgot about. If you create a new conference and want to create a split division format, the divisions won't take with the even number of teams provided you're trying to add new schools to the league. I noticed it a while ago when I was trying to swap teams to new divisions throwing off the divisional balance and my fix is just to turn off divisions.

But I figured I'd report it.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #2110
youcancallmeal
n00b

This may have been answered, but is there any way to completely disable the auto recruiting?

I am trying to play a game where I recruit only players with 3.5 GPA and up, which means I end up a with very short call list and it's confusing/annoying to have to sift through and get rid of the guys the CPU adds on.
youcancallmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:58 PM   #2111
RedKingGold
College Starter

You can call meal?
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #2112
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
You can call meal?

You can call me al, I believe.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:24 PM   #2113
bryce
High School Varsity

I think the redshirt issue is rearing its ugly head again, but in the opposite direction as before. Anyone who redshirts now transfers, it appears, even if they were willing to redshirt per the preseason email.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #2114
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
I think the redshirt issue is rearing its ugly head again, but in the opposite direction as before. Anyone who redshirts now transfers, it appears, even if they were willing to redshirt per the preseason email.

edit to clarify this is with the ability-to-redshirt-everyone option. Does anybody else play with this option, have you experienced this?
Old 11-27-2011, 09:12 PM   #2115
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Ok, thanks. I'll see what I can find.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:16 PM   #2116
Izulde
Head Coach

HR, I overwrote the team, conf, etc. files with my Zeroed Out files but when I updated to the latest patch, it won't read my files as the default data. Am I missing something here?

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 11:21 PM   #2117
Izulde
Head Coach

...Nevermind. I just opened up what I thought was my ZeroedOut files zipped up and it's the default data.

I think I'm going to cry now.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #2118
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Nevermind you figured it out
Old 11-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #2119
Izulde
Head Coach

Well I just downloaded the Zeroed Out zip I emailed to muns way back ...and it's the default data. I can't find the initial Zeroed Out conf/leagues/tourney files anywhere, so it appears they're lost.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #2120
Izulde
Head Coach

I still have my league file from the very beginning of it, so maybe I'll just use that instead. For some reason Newton Richardson isn't on Montana, but that's fine. I wanted to start fresh anyway.

Still makes me sick I lost 3 days' worth of work.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #2121
bryce
High School Varsity

Quote:
Ok, thanks. I'll see what I can find.

thanks, but don't spend an inordinate amount of time on it. I just switched the option back to players can veto, which I'm assuming works fine as nobody has mentioned otherwise.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #2122
korme
Go Reds

Is there a website somebody could direct me to which gives a nice breakdown of when conferences were formed and alignment/realignment history?

Looking to recreate NCAA pretty legitimately, with correct conference movement and accurate Championship history
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:21 PM   #2123
korme
Go Reds

Also, small aesthetic question for HR. Is there a way in a future patch to randomly throw 2 last names together during player creation, to create some hyphenated last names since that's somewhat commonplace now?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #2124
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
Is there a website somebody could direct me to which gives a nice breakdown of when conferences were formed and alignment/realignment history?

Looking to recreate NCAA pretty legitimately, with correct conference movement and accurate Championship history

I was looking for this earlier in the year with no luck.
Old 12-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #2125
korme
Go Reds

Also extremely interested in your pro version of the game, Brian. With the customizability, I would drool at the thought of recreating the NBA/ABA merger. Tried to do it with TPB2 and it's damn near impossible.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #2126
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

This has been my go-to.

College Basketball Statistics & History | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #2127
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Getting back into this now and had a wonderful moment last night. Playing as Coastal Carolina, my team eked into the NCAA tournament when Winthrop choked in a first round game. Got blasted out, as expected, but a second good recruiting class--top of the Big South again--had me thinking I might stay at CC instead of moving on.

I expected an easy season as the Winthrop players had graduated. Then I looked at Radford and they had a #174 recruting class to my #172. However, I had 3 three-stars and they had only one 3-star and 3 one-stars. I checked them out and found they had landed 3 JUCOs, all yellow-yellow types--but one-stars. Instant starters at a level that would make them a challenge for me. One of the players I had followed but decided not to pursue despite his 20+ scoring average becasue I wanted a defensive backup C. He may make me regret that.

I've never seen a team put themselves into contention by landing 3 JUCOs of starter quality like that before.

Really fired me up and made the decision to stay an easy one.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:21 PM   #2128
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
While I haven't checked pages for every conference, Wikipedia is also a pretty good reference for conference histories.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 PM   #2129
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Also, small aesthetic question for HR. Is there a way in a future patch to randomly throw 2 last names together during player creation, to create some hyphenated last names since that's somewhat commonplace now?

Should be easily added to the Lnames file, I've been working on a more realistic file but it taking forever.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:55 PM   #2130
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
While I haven't checked pages for every conference, Wikipedia is also a pretty good reference for conference histories.

Agreed, so long as the conference(s) you're looking for still exist.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #2131
britrock88
Pro Starter

Just found a little kink in recruiting. If the computer generates two recruits with precisely the same name ("Arthur Brown"), any efforts to recruit the second recruit of that name are redirected to the first.

BTW, I'm trying some house rules at Army (2.15/1600 to 3.50/800 Ivy League-caliber sliding scale for academics, no foreign recruits), and it's quite a fun challenge so far. I surveyed the recruiting class in July of this season and 210 of 2080 recruits qualified.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 AM   #2132
britrock88
Pro Starter

Late night sim thoughts:

Two items I wish for in FBCB3: a statistical category for players and teams' stats complied in conference games; a "rival" feature where an end user can add a couple rivals for a school in the editor (maybe with the effect of giving the underdog a boost?)

One other observation: playing in the Patriot League, our conference tournament was set to start on Feb. 29, 2012. The Hot Seat to-do list showed our tourney as starting on Feb 01.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:41 PM   #2133
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Just found a little kink in recruiting. If the computer generates two recruits with precisely the same name ("Arthur Brown"), any efforts to recruit the second recruit of that name are redirected to the first.

It isn't that they are applied to the same recruit. The problem is actually that the recruit screen defaults to the first version of the name in the list. So if you recruit the first version of the name and then use the dropdown box to switch to the 2nd version of the name then there won't be any recruiting options selected. However if you try and open the 2nd version of the recruit in the list from the main recruiting screen it will always load the first one in the list.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:10 PM   #2134
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Just a small something I would love to see in an update or future version...

I do love the little win/lose streak indicator at the bottom of the screen. It would be very cool to have that included in the records list, to see what teams have had the longest such streaks.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #2135
youcancallmeal
n00b

A weird inconsistency: Injured seniors are always willing to take a redshirt year, and the game lets them do so even if the injury was sustained in the middle of the season.

For injured non-seniors, their willingness to redshirt seems to be unaffected by their injury status (i.e. they never want to), UNLESS they are CPU controlled. CPU players of any age usually redshirt if they have a long-term injury when training camp rolls around.

Last edited by youcancallmeal : 12-25-2011 at 06:28 PM.
youcancallmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM   #2136
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Looking at the code it appears you are correct. I'll get it adjusted for the next patch.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #2137
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by youcancallmeal View Post
A weird inconsistency: Injured seniors are always willing to take a redshirt year, and the game lets them do so even if the injury was sustained in the middle of the season.

For injured non-seniors, their willingness to redshirt seems to be unaffected by their injury status (i.e. they never want to), UNLESS they are CPU controlled. CPU players of any age usually redshirt if they have a long-term injury when training camp rolls around.

This makes sense to some extent, though, since there is the 30% medical redshirt rule (a player can regain a year of eligibility if he participated in no more than 30% of his team's games, rounded up to a whole number, if he missed the majority of the season due to injury). But yes, it does seem unfair that humans could take advantage of this while CPU teams could not.
Old 12-26-2011, 03:30 PM   #2138
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izulde View Post
I still have my league file from the very beginning of it, so maybe I'll just use that instead. For some reason Newton Richardson isn't on Montana, but that's fine. I wanted to start fresh anyway.

Still makes me sick I lost 3 days' worth of work.

If you have a save file I could probably generate a new set of csv files for you. Issues here are also why I added the folder for custom league files to be used. If you go to tools > edit default league and click open folder you should see a new folder called "defaultleagues". If you create a new folder inside that folder you can place the csv files there and then this league should be listed under the League File drop box when you start a new game. If you want custom rules for the league you can also place updated FBCB.ini or Height.ini files inside the folder and the game will use those when you start a new game. I'll also likely include the option to use other customized files like the player name files eventually.
Old 12-26-2011, 07:56 PM   #2139
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud View Post
Here's a bug I noticed a while ago, but sort of forgot about. If you create a new conference and want to create a split division format, the divisions won't take with the even number of teams provided you're trying to add new schools to the league. I noticed it a while ago when I was trying to swap teams to new divisions throwing off the divisional balance and my fix is just to turn off divisions.

But I figured I'd report it.

Assuming this is the current league editor, I did find an issue where changing the division of a team doesn't save so you can never make the divisions balanced. I'm betting this was your issue but let me know if you run into it again after I post the next patch.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #2140
ValiantJoey
n00b

Does anyone know where I can get the file for real life tournaments?

Edit: Nevermind, found one.

Last edited by ValiantJoey : 01-03-2012 at 06:56 AM. Reason: Found what I was looking for.
ValiantJoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:32 AM   #2141
Balldog
Pro Rookie

Can someone post the default 2012 file? I don't seem to have it installed after the last patch.
Balldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #2142
ValiantJoey
n00b

For some reason my save doesn't show up when I am trying to load it. I see it in the folder leaguedata, but it won't show up. Is there a way to get it show up again so I can load my game?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #2143
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balldog View Post
Can someone post the default 2012 file? I don't seem to have it installed after the last patch.

http://www.fbbgames.com/2012FBCB.zip
Old 01-18-2012, 09:05 PM   #2144
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValiantJoey View Post
For some reason my save doesn't show up when I am trying to load it. I see it in the folder leaguedata, but it won't show up. Is there a way to get it show up again so I can load my game?

Check what folder the game is looking in by going to the open folder button on the load screen. Look inside the folder for your save and make sure the files are present. If you see any with the .bak extension then a previous save did not complete and you should change the extension for those files to .dat to restore the last successful save.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 PM   #2145
ValiantJoey
n00b

Quote:
Check what folder the game is looking in by going to the open folder button on the load screen. Look inside the folder for your save and make sure the files are present. If you see any with the .bak extension then a previous save did not complete and you should change the extension for those files to .dat to restore the last successful save.

Fixed it. Thanks Brian!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #2146
britrock88
Pro Starter

Code:
2014 Patriot League Standings TEAM CW CL Pct W L Pct RPI Prestige -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Lafayette Leopards 12 2 .857 22 7 .759 46 34 American Eagles 10 4 .714 18 11 .621 123 31 Lehigh Mountain Hawks 6 8 .429 12 16 .429 236 37 Army Black Knights 6 8 .429 11 18 .379 227 13 Navy Midshipmen 6 8 .429 15 14 .517 187 25 Bucknell Bison 6 8 .429 12 17 .414 261 23 Colgate Raiders 6 8 .429 10 19 .345 273 14 Holy Cross Crusaders 4 10 .286 10 19 .345 323 40

Kudos to HR for all his improvements in this game. That 5-way tie at 6-8 was worked out perfectly. Lehigh, at 5-3 in games within the group, placed above the 3 teams that were 4-4 in group, who placed ahead of Colgate, who was 3-5 in group. Then, among Army, Navy, and Bucknell, Army was 4-0, Navy was 2-2, and Bucknell was 0-4. A nice piece of tiebreaking. (Also, I'm happy that West Point gets to host its first-round game. )

Last edited by britrock88 : 01-19-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #2147
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

First crash in a long time, and of course I've gotten out of the habit of saving often, and of course it happens as I'm preparing for the NCAA championship game which would potentially give me back-to-back titles...

Run time error 6 - overflow

Happened on the Team Stats page when I went to change the drop down from "Averages" to "30 min averages"
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #2148
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Quote:
Kudos to HR for all his improvements in this game. That 5-way tie at 6-8 was worked out perfectly. Lehigh, at 5-3 in games within the group, placed above the 3 teams that were 4-4 in group, who placed ahead of Colgate, who was 3-5 in group. Then, among Army, Navy, and Bucknell, Army was 4-0, Navy was 2-2, and Bucknell was 0-4. A nice piece of tiebreaking. (Also, I'm happy that West Point gets to host its first-round game. )

I haven't fanboy'ed this game in awhile, so let me go ahead and do so. The care with which this game was constructed shows up again with stuff like this. The preseason tournaments, the correct days of the week for the conference tournaments... just great.

That said... it doesn't have a mechanism for conference tournaments that play games at the higher seed's home court, does it? That would be another nice layer to eventually work in. Also -- in terms of tournament formats, take a look at the elaborate web the West Coast Conference has weaved for this season's tournament. There's no version of it in this game (can't blame Brian for that, it's confusing as hell). But if he can figure it out and work it in somehow, something to think about.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #2149
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
First crash in a long time, and of course I've gotten out of the habit of saving often, and of course it happens as I'm preparing for the NCAA championship game which would potentially give me back-to-back titles...

Run time error 6 - overflow

Happened on the Team Stats page when I went to change the drop down from "Averages" to "30 min averages"

Thanks. I was able to locate this without too much trouble.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 PM   #2150
HeavyReign
Fast Break Basketball

I have uploaded a new patch.

http://www.fbbgames.com/FBCB2010v2231.exe

Extract the files to your install directory. When you start the game it should say version 2.2.31 in the bottom left corner after applying the update.

Version 2.2.31 (01/21/12)
Changes:
*CPU will now set redshirts for you when using CPU handles depth chart
*Players are only eligible for a medical redshirt if they didn't play after a teams 14th game and only if they appeared in no more than 9 games before the injury. The injury must last atleast until the end of the season which is defined as two weeks before Selection Sunday to account for teams that do not make the postseason.
*Added a mid major top 25 to the polls screen.
*Added the option for a 32 team championship tourney.

Fixes:
*Fixed an issue with the wrong recruit loading when you try to view the recruit screen when there are 2 players with the exact same name in the list.
*CPU teams will now use medical redshirts for injuries that occur during the season
*CPU teams will redshirt more players when unlimited redshirting is on.
*Fixed all redshirting players transferring when unlimited redshirting is used in combination with transfers
*Underclassmen with long term injuries should accept a redshirt.
*Fixed incorrect date for conference tourney start in to do list due to display error
*When editing the current league, changing a team's division within the same conference should now save properly.
*Added code to allow records.dat to repair itself enough to prevent crashes when corrupt. Corrupt records will still be lost.
*Fixed error 6 when using 30 minute averages on the team stats screen at the end of the season.
*Fixed an endless scheduling loop for split conferences with at least one home and home versus the opposing division.
*Added an error message if you try to start a new game with a default league that has a conference with unbalanced divisions.

Version 2.2.30
Changes:
*There will now still be transfers when using the option to be allowed to redshirt anyone with transfers turned on.