Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-24-2024, 10:08 AM   #2101
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
The difference between party and country is one of membership. It's the responsibility of "the party" to decide on the candidate, and the people vote on the candidates available. It doesn't mean people would vote on the party at all, it means the party needs to find a candidate who will win. Moreover, the process for determining who gets to call each party "their" party is flawed, and there's no good way to improve it. I've voted Democrat in every election but one, when I voted Libertarian, but I've never voted in a Democratic primary. Meanwhile, people who have split their vote much more down the middle, or even people who vote straight Republican, vote in them. I admit to some bias, in that I honestly don't care who wins the Democratic primary, since I know I'll prefer them over the Republican. But, even if I voted Democrat every election, it's not "my" party -- it's just the party I happen to prefer. I think the idea that "the people" should choose a party's candidate is a mentality created by a two-party system. If there were five or more parties, the idea of a primary for each of them would feel ridiculous.

This feels extremely disingenuous. He wasn't selected "twice", I think the other time you're referring to was for the 2020 election - that was a different thing. As for the time he was selected in 2024, are you seriously saying that choosing a different nominee from an election where he was virtually unopposed is "subverting democracy" to you?

I think it's a strange hill to die on when you look at how messy the nominee selection process has been historically and how small of a role "the people" have directly played in the process.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 10:11 AM   #2102
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerRealName View Post
Do you think it's racist to refer to Harris as a DEI candidate?
Of course, you can throw in sexist as well. If the republicans go heavy on her "sleeping her way to the top" and not earning her position, I don't think it will help them. You can't control the fringe, but the Trump campaign needs to focus more on her policies and experience in office. Of course, there's zero chance Trump avoids the personal attacks - and I think that will be a big plus for Harris.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:19 AM   #2103
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Some of the options I mentioned could be done in less than a week. I agree with not dragging it out, but I would say the fact that Democrats not complaining about it is one of the most ... I want to say something like 'damning' but not really that as I don't like the connotations. It's just like what was mentioned before about them not wanting Biden to run and then not giving a crap when he did and primaries were cancelled and similar. They were perfectly fine dragging out the whole drama for weeks after the debate, so I don't buy the 'give the candidate a chance angle' a bit.

It tells me they don't really care about democracy.
As I said before, there was no practical way to challenge Harris once the machines of Biden+Obama+Clinton+Pelosi got behind her. It would have been political suicide to even run as a legit candidate. There may be a patsy they all agree to put up against her in the convention (to make it look like she was challenged), but she was given the golden ticket on Sunday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
Just to add, there is zero doubt in my mind what the general reaction of the board here would be if this kind of thing were happening on the Republican side.
Imagine if there would have been a "McCain-like" candidate for the republicans who was old and polling awful. Going into the convention, they go out and replace him with Trump - the left would have absolutely lost their mind.
Old 07-24-2024, 10:21 AM   #2104
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
In honor of reports that the GOP has already tried to file for impeaching Harris...

I give you the:

GOP BOT2.024 Code upgrade
Looks a lot like the Crowdstrike update last Friday
Old 07-24-2024, 10:44 AM   #2105
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Do you think it's racist to refer to Harris as a DEI candidate?

Is it racist (or in this case sexist) if it is true?

Joe Biden specifically said he was looking for a woman to be his Vice President. Her being Vice President is the only reason she's the leading candidate. If Joe had a announced a policy like that while working for a private company he would be sued into the ground.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:06 AM   #2106
Flasch186
Coordinator

POTUS 2024 - Biden vs Trump - General Election Discussion

Is being racist or sexist bad?

Ask yourself that first and that’ll color the second question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-24-2024 at 11:06 AM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 11:08 AM   #2107
Flasch186
Coordinator

Dola

That’s part of the problem for me

Just own it

If you’re racist or sexist don’t be ashamed of it. It’s tough to live in shame.

The GOP members (and anyone else) ought to just own it and say it out loud. They’ll find like minded prime. Perhaps they already have.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-24-2024 at 11:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:15 AM   #2108
Atocep
Coordinator

I don't know why people have allowed the right to shape what being a DEI hire means. It doesn't mean less qualified or anything of that nature. Why DEI hires are needed is the bigger question.
Old 07-24-2024, 11:25 AM   #2109
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post

Joe Biden specifically said he was looking for a woman to be his Vice President. Her being Vice President is the only reason she's the leading candidate. If Joe had a announced a policy like that while working for a private company he would be sued into the ground.

If you think Harris is less qualified than Trump or Thiel, oops Vance, then I seriously question your judgement. Biden was selected by Obama because he was an old, white guy. He's DEI all the way.
HerRealName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 11:54 AM   #2110
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Why DEI hires are needed is the bigger question.

Why anyone batshit enough to believe they're anything other handouts to people who haven't earned something are allowed to vote, or even walk the streets with sane people is the bigger question.

And THAT is among the things that has killed a once great nation: we're allowing the chronically stupid and/or mentally ill to vote.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:01 PM   #2111
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

She was a successful AG and senator from the biggest state in the union. She is qualified and to suggest she was selected because she is black and is unqualified is racist and sexist. Just own it.

Trumps VP has literally been in government for 18 months and already comes across as a buffoon.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 12:02 PM   #2112
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Why anyone batshit enough to believe they're anything other handouts to people who haven't earned something are allowed to vote, or even walk the streets with sane people is the bigger question.

And THAT is among the things that has killed a once great nation: we're allowing the chronically stupid and/or mentally ill to vote.

It's a reason to tear down people of color or women. Period. JD Vance wasn't questioned as a DEI hire even though Tim Scott and countless others within the GOP were infinitely more qualified to be VP. He's a bad author pretending to be a bad politician with no experience in government.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:19 PM   #2113
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA

That's not new. Those people have always been able to vote.

Last edited by Brian Swartz : 07-24-2024 at 12:19 PM.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 12:22 PM   #2114
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, at least for Vance he did get his way to a good school then got a fairly high-powered job. Not really sure that qualifies him to be VP*, but I'll hand that to him. How many positions in finance, law, law enforcement, etc. are gotten just because daddy/pappy lined things up for them? How are those not handouts? We're decrying this too, yes?

(Can't leave out nepo babies in music/Hollywood or politics either.)

* On the other hand, I was just reading The Forrestal Diaries and back then it didn't seem abnormal for someone who did well in business to swing over to government for a time to, well, help the country. Of course in Forrestal's case he was rewarded for it by cracking from the stress and plunging from an open window.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 07-24-2024 at 12:23 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 12:33 PM   #2115
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
I mean, at least for Vance he did get his way to a good school then got a fairly high-powered job. Not really sure that qualifies him to be VP*, but I'll hand that to him. How many positions in finance, law, law enforcement, etc. are gotten just because daddy/pappy lined things up for them? How are those not handouts? We're decrying this too, yes?

(Can't leave out nepo babies in music/Hollywood or politics either.)

* On the other hand, I was just reading The Forrestal Diaries and back then it didn't seem abnormal for someone who did well in business to swing over to government for a time to, well, help the country. Of course in Forrestal's case he was rewarded for it by cracking from the stress and plunging from an open window.

For Vance, Thiel is his daddy. Thiel has provided him almost everything in his career including jobs, a Venture Capital company, and over $15M for his campaign. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Thiel was involved in promoting and propping up the book.
Old 07-24-2024, 12:35 PM   #2116
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Regardless of what you think of Trump, hasn't his winning an election put to bed the idea of who is "qualified" to hold a position?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 12:50 PM   #2117
HerRealName
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Regardless of what you think of Trump, hasn't his winning an election put to bed the idea of who is "qualified" to hold a position?

I would say the exact opposite when it comes to the result of electing someone unqualified
Old 07-24-2024, 12:56 PM   #2118
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
I would say the exact opposite when it comes to the result of electing someone unqualified

Sure, of course. I guess my thought is if you support Trump (or are even kind of okay with him), but you argue someone else is a DEI candidate, you can't legitimately argue that candidate is not qualified. So all that's left is that you have a problem with the fact that the candidate is diverse.

Last edited by Passacaglia : 07-24-2024 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 01:24 PM   #2119
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post

Imagine if there would have been a "McCain-like" candidate for the republicans who was old and polling awful. Going into the convention, they go out and replace him with Trump - the left would have absolutely lost their mind.

We can only hope to be as consistent and thoughtful as you and Brian. Maybe one day we'll be better, but until then, we have you to guide us. Thanks for setting such a great example.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 01:27 PM   #2120
Danny
Head Coach

If Trump got sick tomorrow and then they did the same process of having trumps delegates be released and put them towards vance thatd be about what youd expect i gusss.

Ideally biden would have dropped much sooner but it seems having his delegates released and then them voting for kamala his vp and who he endorsed seems to fit within the history and rules.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 01:43 PM   #2121
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
If Trump got sick tomorrow and then they did the same process of having trumps delegates be released and put them towards vance thatd be about what youd expect i gusss.

Ideally biden would have dropped much sooner but it seems having his delegates released and then them voting for kamala his vp and who he endorsed seems to fit within the history and rules.

Our founders didn't predict the growth of political parties so there really aren't any rules for how parties nominate anyone. We've had numerous revisions throughout our history on how it's done. The people directly selecting someone has never been one of those ways.

There's also been corruption and backroom deals when left to any level of legislation.

I don't see how this isn't a democratic process. People aren't forced to vote for Kamala in the presidential election. She still has to win an election to hold office.
Old 07-24-2024, 01:47 PM   #2122
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post

I could write literally the exact same sentence about venture capital or bailouts propping up businesses that would/have failed in the "open market".

This country has been built on handouts, bailouts and family/fraternity/Masonic/military/romantic/national/political/sports/looks etc
nepotism since it's founding so I have to wonder about folks who only see an issue and get angry when minoritites get jobs.

What do you think the odds are that screeching Lauren Boebert never hired family or friends, and always hired the most qualifed applicant, to work for her at "Shooters Grill"?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 07-24-2024 at 02:51 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 01:48 PM   #2123
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
We can only hope to be as consistent and thoughtful as you and Brian. Maybe one day we'll be better, but until then, we have you to guide us. Thanks for setting such a great example.

Where would we be without the grace of libertarians sharing their collective secrets of governing nowehere and nobody?
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 02:06 PM   #2124
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

This might be telling. Kelly was one of only three Democratic Senators that were holding out on this pro-union legislation. He had stated he wasn't totally against it, but wanted some parts of it changed. This was a sticking point to a couple of Unions that said they wouldn't endorse him as VP because of this. Now he says he would definitely vote for it.

GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 03:55 PM   #2125
GrantDawg

Jeez, that's a big net. Also, they will announce a pick before August 7th. They are pressing ahead with the phone nomination vote to make sure they get the names in before the Ohio August 7th ballot date. They are still afraid that a legal challenge might keep Harris off the ballot if they don't meet the old deadline.
Old 07-24-2024, 04:36 PM   #2126
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
There's hypocrisy on both sides here, I'm not trying to be anti-democrat with this. Both of these are true, and it's not great for the country:

1. The democrats would lose their mind if the Republicans pulled something like this to get Trump nominated without going through a primary
2. The republicans would 100% do number 1 if faced with a poor polling old guy they didn't like.

I know this isn't new, but the "win at all costs" that American politics has turned into is a sad state. Each side has their followers in such a fervor that if the other side wins, their lives will not be worth living.
Republicans were fine under Clinton
Democrats were fine under W
Republicans were fine under Obama
Democrats were fine under Trump
Republicans were fine under Biden

Republicans will be fine under Harris and democrats will be fine (again) if Trump wins. But I guess stating this goes against the justification for spending billions of dollars on election and thousands of hours campaigning.

Last edited by Arles : 07-24-2024 at 04:38 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #2127
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Someone must have told Elon that Tesla sales are down since he started pushing Trump.

Tesla profit falls 45% to $1.48 billion on weak EV sales in Q2 | AP News
Old 07-24-2024, 04:58 PM   #2128
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:

Republicans will be fine under Harris and democrats will be fine (again) if Trump wins. But I guess stating this goes against the justification for spending billions of dollars on election and thousands of hours campaigning.

Sorry, but I won't take it for granted that my transgender daughter will be okay if Trump wins and starts implementing Project 2025 plans.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 05:01 PM   #2129
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Brian is right in the sense that it's an undemocratic process. But it's always been one. Your vote in Presidential primaries is merely a suggestion. The party does not have to respect it at all. I think it's a terrible system but to be mad at it now instead of for the past century or two doesn't seem fair.

With that said, I don't know what other option there was. Not enough time for a primary and no one is jumping at the chance to throw their hat in the ring. And even if you did open it up, you're still putting the vote in the hadns of delegates and not voters. Now this sucks for those who want a more democratic approach, but the blame goes for the DNC for closing off the primary and discouraging anyone from running and Biden for being a narcissist who put the party and its supporters in this position.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 05:07 PM   #2130
GrantDawg

Another person being vetted: Admiral William McRaven. He oversaw the raid that killed Osama bin Laden and was the chancellor of the University of Texas.

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk
Old 07-24-2024, 05:18 PM   #2131
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Of course, you can throw in sexist as well. If the republicans go heavy on her "sleeping her way to the top" and not earning her position, I don't think it will help them. You can't control the fringe, but the Trump campaign needs to focus more on her policies and experience in office. Of course, there's zero chance Trump avoids the personal attacks - and I think that will be a big plus for Harris.

To piggyback on this, the media needs to be called out for the way they characterize some of this.

Case in point, the NYT ran an article with the headline, "Trump's New Rival May Bring Out His Harshest Instincts." This is in response to the misogynistic/racist attacks on Harris. And notice, the headline suggests this is HARRIS'S fault for provoking MAGA by existing as a black female Presidential candidate. Fucking awful.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 05:26 PM   #2132
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

If you can’t see how different this gop is powered by the heritage foundation then you haven’t been paying attention. They absolutely want to fundamentally change our nation and damn anyone who it affects negatively. They aren’t exactly keeping their intentions a secret.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:42 PM   #2133
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Sorry, but I won't take it for granted that my transgender daughter will be okay if Trump wins and starts implementing Project 2025 plans.

Yep. Pretty worried about my Muslim family too.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:49 PM   #2134
Flasch186
Coordinator

As of today me and the kids are dual citizens of Austria.

The irony that I put a parachute on my Jewish family (just in case) and it’s Austria of all places is not lost on me.

The wife will have to fend for herself 😂

Anyways not a joke post

But

Apparently to get an Austrian passport r we have to go to New York

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 07-24-2024 at 05:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:50 PM   #2135
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Anyone with a daughter, sister, niece, etc should be worried. Especially if Vance is anywhere near power.
Old 07-24-2024, 05:57 PM   #2136
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
This might be telling. Kelly was one of only three Democratic Senators that were holding out on this pro-union legislation. He had stated he wasn't totally against it, but wanted some parts of it changed. This was a sticking point to a couple of Unions that said they wouldn't endorse him as VP because of this. Now he says he would definitely vote for it

Yeah, him changing his position on that makes me think he's the frontrunner. All things considered, he's a really tough guy to attack and the contrast between him and Vance on a stage will be staggering.

I was against it because that Senate seat is valuable, but fuck it. If you have a shot to end Trumpism, you go for it. Beshear, Walz, JB, Whitmer, and Cooper would be fine although I dont' think help much. Shapiro is risky but has some upside. Still wouldn't risk it.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:00 PM   #2137
Flasch186
Coordinator

Kelly is the slam dunk choice

Could be a massive turnout on both sides for this one

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-24-2024, 06:08 PM   #2138
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
If you can’t see how different this gop is powered by the heritage foundation then you haven’t been paying attention. They absolutely want to fundamentally change our nation and damn anyone who it affects negatively. They aren’t exactly keeping their intentions a secret.

Presidents do virtually nothing regarding social issues. The actual impact is:
Supreme Court: 60%
States: 35%
President: 5%

All presidents can really do is appoint judges (the 5%) or is veto something - but the odds of the senate and the house passing anything that impactful are very small. The only two court judges close to retirement are both conservative judges: Alito and Thomas, and those two retiring in the next four years is unlikely.

I can't think of a presidential election that will end up having a smaller impact on social issues that this one. Obama and the first Trump were way more important as they appointed 5 judges (the age of the judges was a very small factor in me voting for Oabama and Hillary - but not the deciding one).

I will be voting for Harris because I don't want to watch Trump bloviate for another four years and there is a very small chance she could replace one of the two older judges. As a social liberal, if Trump wins, it's unlikely anything negative happens to gay rights or abortion. I think people really overestimate the impact the president had. I mean, Roe vs Wade was overturned with Biden in office.

Last edited by Arles : 07-24-2024 at 06:12 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 06:21 PM   #2139
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Ok. So you’re not paying attention.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:30 PM   #2140
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Yeah, him changing his position on that makes me think he's the frontrunner. All things considered, he's a really tough guy to attack and the contrast between him and Vance on a stage will be staggering.

I was against it because that Senate seat is valuable, but fuck it. If you have a shot to end Trumpism, you go for it. Beshear, Walz, JB, Whitmer, and Cooper would be fine although I dont' think help much. Shapiro is risky but has some upside. Still wouldn't risk it.

I think Kelly is the right call. Beshear would be solid if he was from a swing state. Shapiro would get a lot of push back from a voting group you really need to pull. I don't think Whitmer is a good fit to pair with Kamala, which is unfortunate.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:34 PM   #2141
GrantDawg

Well, you know. Kamala has to make a DEI hire of a straight white man.

Old 07-24-2024, 06:36 PM   #2142
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
As of today me and the kids are dual citizens of Austria.

The irony that I put a parachute on my Jewish family (just in case) and it’s Austria of all places is not lost on me.

The wife will have to fend for herself 😂

Anyways not a joke post

But

Apparently to get an Austrian passport r we have to go to New York

They're Australian, not Austrian. Also, I'm so old my kids were watching this with the originals. And I saw them live twice.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 06:38 PM   #2143
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantDawg View Post
Well, you know. Kamala has to make a DEI hire of a straight white man.

Sadly she probably does.
Old 07-24-2024, 06:42 PM   #2144
Flasch186
Coordinator

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 07-24-2024, 07:12 PM   #2145
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I mean, Roe vs Wade was overturned with Biden in office.

The case started from a 2018 law that Mississippi passed, which they did because they sensed there was no longer a pro-choice majority on the court, due to Trump's appointees. (They were clearly right). Lower courts blocked enforcement of the law in March 2018 and the appeals process took a couple years to get up to SCOTUS.

Before Trump was elected, SCOTUS had a 5-4 pro-choice majority. If he didn't get elected, then that majority would've remained and Roe would not have been overturned.

Not sure why you picked this example, since it's probably the clearest example of the impact Trump had on the country.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2024, 07:19 PM   #2146
GrantDawg

And he is out. It is possible that he was being vetted mostly to see if he might be interested in another role in a future Harris White House...

Old 07-24-2024, 07:24 PM   #2147
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
The case started from a 2018 law that Mississippi passed, which they did because they sensed there was no longer a pro-choice majority on the court, due to Trump's appointees. (They were clearly right). Lower courts blocked enforcement of the law in March 2018 and the appeals process took a couple years to get up to SCOTUS.

Before Trump was elected, SCOTUS had a 5-4 pro-choice majority. If he didn't get elected, then that majority would've remained and Roe would not have been overturned.

Not sure why you picked this example, since it's probably the clearest example of the impact Trump had on the country.
I think that’s covered in my post. I don’t see any obvious retirements in the next four years. There were 2-3 likely under Obama and then Trump. The rhetoric on these boards make it seem like Harris can stop actions against socially liberal policies. The reality is it is the states and the Supreme Court. So if she doesn’t appoint a new Justice (very likely) - then where is this action she can take to save LGBT rights or abortion?
Old 07-24-2024, 07:27 PM   #2148
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

But it's not a private company, it's the government. And the government is supposed to be representative of the entire population, not just a few well-connected white guys. If the argument is that there is not a single woman eligible that could fill that role, fine. But I think his argument is that he wanted his government to be representative of all people.

And I don't think that's a terrible thing to want in government. Not gender or race specific, but I want some diversity in positions. I don't think the Supreme Court should be filled with people who went to the same schools, were in the same clubs, clerked for the same people, and had the same legal careers. We should have someone who worked their way up through a state school. Someone who worked as a public defender. The full gamut of experiences that represent the entire population would provide fairer rulings.

I don't really see the issue with her. If we're comparing resumes of Biden/Trump, one has failed upwards his entire life and the other inherited a ton of money from his Daddy and still had to con his way through life because he couldn't figure out how to run a successful business.

If we're talking about qualifications and credentials to be President, Harris has them beat by a country mile and the only reason this is being brought up is because she is black and a woman. And I don't particularly think that highly of Harris either. Biden and Trump are the one's that got handouts most of their life.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:30 PM   #2149
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I'm pretty sure it was a 5-4 Pro-Life majority. Roberts, Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch, and Kavannaugh.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:32 PM   #2150
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, the idea that Harris is a DEI candidate is literally nuts. She was a district attorney for 7 years, the Attorney General for 6 years and a senator in one of the biggest states for 4 years. Throw in her four years as VP and you could make the argument she is the most qualified person to run for president right now.