Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #2051
timmynausea
College Starter

Interesting. The University of Michigan is now saying they will match funds to help pay Izzo's salary at Oregon.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:01 PM   #2052
SportsDino
College Prospect

Shut up all of you, hands off the Izzo!

State loves Izzo, as long as they keep him in the necessary sized pile of money he will be here as long as he coaches college. I don't see him jumping ship from a program where he is icon for some small time school like Oregon or Kentucky or Michigan... those jokers wouldn't respect his talent and start whining the moment he benches John McMoneybags for not sticking with his man on defense.

Izzo gots a blank check at MSU (we can print it on really large paper if it helps)... he can pretty much write himself in whatever he needs and he'll get it. Somewhere else he'll get half-hearted respect until he proves he's the man all over again (which he would, he is that good)...

Only thing he will bolt for is if he gets the urge to prove himself at the NBA level. And I personally think it would be a completely different type of coaching than he is used to. A school would have to spend a lot to get him and I don't think any school will take the gamble on spending the necessary dough and going through a rebuilding where their fair weather fans pan him for not bringing a Final Four team to the school overnight.
SportsDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #2053
Schmidty
Coordinator

This makes me chuckle. It happens every year. He's not going anywhere.

Everything SportsDino said is true. NBA would be the only thing, and that won't happen either.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:44 PM   #2054
Pumpy Tudors
Bounty Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
My alma mater (Gannon University) is in the final four in the D2 girls bball tournament. And to make it better, they beat Seton Hill (ping PUMPY) along the way. Also with their win tonight they are 37-0 and broke the record for the most wins in a season for a D2 team. Go Lady Knights!
btw gfy
Old 03-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #2055
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Doug Gotlieb with some interesting insight into the unintended consequences of expanding the field to 96 teams:

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany: NCAA tournament expansion 'probable' - ESPN
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #2056
Logan
Head Coach

Mind summarizing what Gottlieb said? Can't stream video at work. Thanks.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #2057
DataKing
Pro Rookie

His key points:
  1. The NCAA is ignoring the law of unintended consequences. Proponents of expansion have said that more coaches will keep their jobs due to more teams making the field of 96. Gotlieb proposes that, instead, more coaches who don't make the field of 96 will lose their jobs, because failing to make a field of 96 is a bigger failure than failing to make a field of 65.
  2. Expansion to 96 will minimize the impact and importance of Championship Week, especially for smaller conference schools. As things are right now, the biggest motivator in the small conference tourneys isn't so much the tourney itself, but the promise of an invitation to the Big Dance. Small conference tourneys will lose some of that importance, since more invitations will be going out anyways.
  3. The impact of making it into the field will be lessened. Not a big deal for teams that make it every year anyway, but he uses Northwestern as a good example. Northwestern has never been to the tourney. The impact of finally making it will be lessened because of the feeling that "the only way we could get there is by them expanding the field."
A different take than what I've heard so far on the topic from others. Also, I should mention that the topic is brought up because the Big 10 AD thinks that it is "likely" that the NCAA will vote to expand, effectively merging the NCAA and NIT.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:55 PM   #2058
sooner333
College Starter

I do think we'll see more parity as it will be easier for the new 16/17 winner to beat a 1 than the old 16 seed.
sooner333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:58 PM   #2059
Butter
Coordinator

Let's go Flyers!
Old 03-31-2010, 06:24 PM   #2060
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
I do think we'll see more parity as it will be easier for the new 16/17 winner to beat a 1 than the old 16 seed.
For those who hate seeing Final Fours like this year where the top teams aren't competing will hate this format even more. In the current format, the 1-4 seeds have an extremely high rate of success. You could argue that 1-2 seeds essentially have byes (which they deserve for having a great year).

In the new format, they are likely going to get a bubble team in their first game. So instead of winning 3 games against quality teams, they have to win 4 to get into the Final Four (bubble teams are much more competitive than the typical 15 or 16 seed for instance). It just lowers the probability of them getting there and will cause more lower seeded teams to get there. It would create two more days of college basketball, but potentially at the effect of seeing elite teams go deep in the tournament.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:26 PM   #2061
bronconick
College Starter

I was listening to Mike and Mike on the way in this morning and they did have an interesting point in that the NCAA is probably overstating the amount of money they stand to gain from adding in these 32 teams. You either have a weekend with one game for the teams 33-96, where you don't get to watch the actual good teams, the Dukes, Kentuckys, Kansas' etc. or you end up with games on Tuesday and Wednesday of the 1st week, and is CBS or any other network really going to want those games? Two full days of mediocre basketball in the middle of the week? They'd probably be fine with dumping those down on ESPN for those two days.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:44 AM   #2062
RainMaker
General Manager

Gus Johnson Soundboard -2010 NCAA MARCH MADNESS-
Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #2063
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Yay for Dayton. Really happy for the Flyer's after all the heartbreakers they had all season.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:14 PM   #2064
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Unfortunately, CBS already took it down.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #2065
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
Yay for Dayton. Really happy for the Flyer's after all the heartbreakers they had all season.

Really bad they couldn't get it together that last part of the season. They could have made a run to the sweet 16. Much better team than their final record shows.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #2066
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

With all twelve of their losses the average margin of defeat was 4 points. Just a season of what could have been. At least they went out with a win at MGS
Old 04-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #2067
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
I was listening to Mike and Mike on the way in this morning and they did have an interesting point in that the NCAA is probably overstating the amount of money they stand to gain from adding in these 32 teams. You either have a weekend with one game for the teams 33-96, where you don't get to watch the actual good teams, the Dukes, Kentuckys, Kansas' etc. or you end up with games on Tuesday and Wednesday of the 1st week, and is CBS or any other network really going to want those games? Two full days of mediocre basketball in the middle of the week? They'd probably be fine with dumping those down on ESPN for those two days.

Yeah the charm of the first two days is watching your team, watching upsets, and watching buzzer beaters. Most people's teams probably won't play the first round, upsets won't mean as much when #23 beats #10 as compared with when #14 beats #3, and the buzzer beater would have the same effect... not as many people watching the games. But I will be honest that prior to the past two seasons Mizzou has had trouble making the tournament. I would probably have more interest with Mizzou as a #17 seed (fill in your team here) vs them not in the tournament at all.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #2068
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
But I will be honest that prior to the past two seasons Mizzou has had trouble making the tournament. I would probably have more interest with Mizzou as a #17 seed (fill in your team here) vs them not in the tournament at all.

Absolutely no way. I'd rather they be out. Average performances should not be rewarded with a shot at the National Championship under any circumstances.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #2069
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Absolutely no way. I'd rather they be out. Average performances should not be rewarded with a shot at the National Championship under any circumstances.

So you don't pull for them to win the big 12 tournament in years where they are a low seed? You didn't pull for them as a #12 seed in the elite eight in 2002? You didn't cheer for the team that was 7th in the big 8 that got like a 10 seed in like 1993 only because they won the big 8 tournament? That rings hollow. You know you would be on here telling everyone the reasons (which I would agree with) that the #17 Tigers have really come together as a team. (Like you will tell me the #12 seeded team had talent and were better than the seed)

Last edited by panerd : 04-01-2010 at 08:59 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:58 PM   #2070
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just out of curiosity does a team like Dayton celebrate ecstatically after winning the NIT or were they just mildly happy?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #2071
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

They were pretty damn happy, Lathum.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #2072
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobz0202 View Post
They were pretty damn happy, Lathum.

Agreed...it really meant something to them.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #2073
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

That's cool, nice to see that.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:15 AM   #2074
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
So you don't pull for them to win the big 12 tournament in years where they are a low seed? You didn't pull for them as a #12 seed in the elite eight in 2002? You didn't cheer for the team that was 7th in the big 8 that got like a 10 seed in like 1993 only because they won the big 8 tournament? That rings hollow. You know you would be on here telling everyone the reasons (which I would agree with) that the #17 Tigers have really come together as a team. (Like you will tell me the #12 seeded team had talent and were better than the seed)

Rooting for a team to win the conference tournament and earn their way in is much different than handing a 16 win Mizzou team that was 5-11 in conference an 18 or 19 seed. That would make the tournament look as atrocious as some of the bowl games in college football look. There's a reason that college basketball is considered a much more exciting finish to decide a champion.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #2075
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Just out of curiosity does a team like Dayton celebrate ecstatically after winning the NIT or were they just mildly happy?

The team was mostly seniors (7), plus a guy who might declare for the NBA who could have been in potentially his last game (Chris Wright). They were genuinely ecstatic, seeing as it was the last time half the team will play college basketball. All the fans in Dayton are pretty ecstatic as well. Dayton has a lot of history with the NIT, most of it from the 50's and 60's.... it will be a big deal to hang that banner next year. And even though it is ultimately a reminder of a disappointing season, it will also be a reminder of a team that finally pulled together and beat 4 straight big conference teams away from home (Cincinnati, Illinois, Ole Miss, and the big one, North Carolina... no matter how crap of a season they had, it's still North Carolina).

Consider that Dayton may be the last NIT champs of all time, and it makes it that much more special.

Now, sadly, it's onto the real games that everyone cares about.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #2076
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Looks like the Butler mascot is living it up in the Final Four spotlight........

Butler's Final Four run gives Indiana new favorite - Photo Gallery - KansasCity.com

Butler's Final Four run gives Indiana new favorite - Photo Gallery - KansasCity.com
Old 04-02-2010, 07:43 AM   #2077
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

Personally, I hate the conference tournaments. And I definitely do not root for lower seeded teams to win the conference tournaments so they can become eligible for the NCAA tournament. I'd rather see a conference like the Big 12 complete their full rotation rather than play in a conference tournament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

I'm with MBBF on this one. Every year there are a couple of teams that shouldn't be in the tourney at all so now we're just adding more of those teams. That doesn't interest me at all. If it did then I would have watched the NIT's first rounds.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #2078
Swaggs
Coordinator

Aside from the drugs part -- this is how I feel for tonight's game:

Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #2079
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

There are games tonight?

Who knew?
Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #2080
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

LETS GO BULLDOGS! wooo! I'm really looking forward to this game, much more than the other.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:19 PM   #2081
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
Aside from the drugs part -- this is how I feel for tonight's game:

LOL

whats odd is my wife just yelled from 3 rooms away "was that saved by the bell?"
Old 04-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #2082
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:
There is an element of excitement in just making the tournament. It's exclusive and you have to play your way in numerous ways. You have teams who are in all the time and then teams who consider just an appearance to be a milestone.

He would cheer for Missouri, but it loses it's luster. Missouri didn't do anything to make it, so the accomplishment of getting there is gone. Kind of like making the PapaJohns.com Bowl or something. I mean you cheer for your team, but you didn't do anything special to make it and it probably doesn't matter anyway.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #2083
RainMaker
General Manager

I sort of wish the NCAA would make it 6 fouls instead of 5. We have both teams missing a top player because of foul trouble.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #2084
kingfc22
Head Coach

Quote:
I sort of wish the NCAA would make it 6 fouls instead of 5. We have both teams missing a top player because of foul trouble.

It's also a 40 minute game compared to 48 in the NBA.

5 is just fine.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:58 PM   #2085
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:

You're allowed a foul every 10 minutes. Just the way it should be.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #2086
Logan
Head Coach

Does CBS always remove the seeds from the score overlay during the Final Four?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #2087
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Could have been a foul and it looks like a Butler defender last touched it.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #2088
RainMaker
General Manager

Has anyone gotten word on whether Hayward is going to declare for the draft or not after the season?
Old 04-03-2010, 06:59 PM   #2089
RainMaker
General Manager

This should be a good finish. Morgan is working with 4 fouls and Butler has two of it's top 3 players out with injury.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #2090
ColtCrazy
College Starter

The refs have let them play, but now they seem to be calling it tight. I hate when they are inconsistent.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #2091
cmp
Pro Rookie

If State could hit some free throws this game would be a lot different.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #2092
ColtCrazy
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
If State could hit some free throws this game would be a lot different.

Or if Butler could buy a basket.
ColtCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #2093
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ONE HELL OF A GAME!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 07:24 PM   #2094
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Ugly shot there.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #2095
cmp
Pro Rookie

Right on the arm it looked like.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #2096
bbgunn
College Benchwarmer

Location: Osaka, Japan via Honolulu, Hawaii via Birmingham, Alabama
MSU's not tying it.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:27 PM   #2097
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

the Butler Defense is really good. they haven't allowed more then 59 points in 13 straight games now.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:28 PM   #2098
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

i hate that strategy. (fouling) i don't know why.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #2099
cmp
Pro Rookie

Clark Kellogg really needs to shut up. All ball?
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM   #2100
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

BUTLER IS PLAYING FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!! WOW!!!

CRAAAAAZZZYYY BULLLLDDOOOOGGSSS