Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2010, 07:18 PM   #2051
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
Honestly, the Big-12 commissioner is probably doing a better job then Mizzou has been

Oh, you were serious??????
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #2052
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think this may be one of my top 5 threads all time

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #2053
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Alden responds to Beebe's mention that Big 10 isn't taking any more members 'right now'........

Big Ten appears to close the door on MU - KansasCity.com
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #2054
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
7 out of those 10 posts still remain very accurate in the current situation. The three in the middle noting that MU was going to move at the same time are obviously off, but I still contend that the move will happen, but in a different timeframe.

Call. For the record, I'm calling on the 7 out of 10. I have no idea if Missouri ends up in the Big Ten or the Missouri Valley Conference.

Last edited by digamma : 06-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #2055
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Yeah, it doesn't make sense for Texas to choose the Big Ten over the Pac 10. They figure to make similar money with the new TV network in the Pac 10, plus they get significant more stature/power in the Pac 10. In the big ten, they don't face Oklahoma or Texas Tech in conference, the Pac 10 both are conf games. In the big ten, they have to compete against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State and what looks like Notre Dame for supremacy. In the Pac 10, it's just a sanctioned USC and Oklahoma.

All things point to Texas getting more control, stature and power in the Pac 10 - without the need to use non-conf spots on their 2 big rivals (Tech and OK). Given the money is similar between both offers, I don't see any reason Texas would choose the Big Ten over the Pac 10. It's just not logical.

Is Baylor still being attached to Texas? As it stands right now with the last rumors that A&M will be hooking up their wagon with the SEC, it still leaves the PAC-10 with an open spot. Could Baylor's "MBBF-like" politicians get involved? If so, doesn't this put Texas in a weak spot with Baylor attached to them like a little kid?

Last edited by Galaxy : 06-11-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #2056
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
It's not more likely that UT or A&M get offered by the Big Ten before Mizzou. It's clear that Mizzou would be the Big Ten's first option out of the Big 12. The Texas to Big Ten ship has already sailed. It ain't happening.

If we're talking solely about athletics, your second statement about NU might hold weight. When you combine academics into the mix (which is exactly what the Big 10 is doing), Mizzou is the obvious choice over NU. Regardless, it would be a pretty big surprise if both of them weren't offered by the Big 10.

I had to dredge this one up. MBBF, you my friend are not afraid of being totally wrong, lol.
the_meanstrosity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 PM   #2057
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
I had to dredge this one up. MBBF, you my friend are not afraid of being totally wrong, lol.

Timing, yes. End result, not so much.

With that said, it would probably be best for you to avoid stalking in this thread as well. There's actually some good discussion going on here.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #2058
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy View Post
Is Baylor still being attached to Texas? As it stands right now with the last rumors that A&M will be hooking up their wagon with the SEC, it still leaves the PAC-10 with an open spot. Could Baylor's "MBBF-like" politicians get involved? If so, doesn't this put Texas in a weak spot with Baylor attached to them like a little kid?

Baylor is probably 4th on the list of teams to replace TAMU. It probably doesnt get past KU/Utah in that instance
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #2059
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Timing, yes. End result, not so much.

With that said, it would probably be best for you to avoid stalking in this thread as well. There's actually some good discussion going on here.

So Missouri is still the Big Ten's first option...it's just that they wanted to get Nebraska out of the way first before making their big splash with Missouri? I guess I could see that.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #2060
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Baylor is probably 4th on the list of teams to replace TAMU. It probably doesnt get past KU/Utah in that instance

I'd love to see KU find a way to wiggle into the Pac XX. As much as the hatred flows, I'd really hate to see their program fall on hard times. The entire state might commit suicide.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:35 PM   #2061
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

C'mon Bug. I need you to talk to your Pac 10 sources. Make it happen!
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #2062
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_meanstrosity View Post
C'mon Bug. I need you to talk to your Pac 10 sources. Make it happen!

With all of the expansion centered on football, Kansas would be a nice step in the opposite direction, but Utah/Colorado would work a bit more.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #2063
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
I'd love to see KU find a way to wiggle into the Pac XX. As much as the hatred flows, I'd really hate to see their program fall on hard times. The entire state might commit suicide.

I don't think Kansas will fall too hard. The Pac 10 would be my number one option especially if Texas lands there. That would allow Kansas to continue recruiting the state of Texas for football. There are whispers coming from the SEC they are interested in Kansas. I'm not sure I see the fit there, but a rivalry with Kentucky would be great. Who knows how serious that interest is. Might even be nice to see both Kansas and Missouri get invites there to keep the Border War alive. The Big East is the next major possibility though they may be just as ripe as the Big 12 is. The ACC would be interesting. I know Coach K and Roy Williams have recently gone to bat for Kansas. And then lastly the MWC which would only happen if KU and KSU are truly anchored together by some crazy politicians.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #2064
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Well, I, for one, am excited by the prospect of Nebraska joining the Big-10.

Weclome my Cornhusking Brothers and Sisters!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:43 PM   #2065
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

All the Big 12 North leftovers can just go join Boise State in the Mountain West Conference. It will become a 14 team conference and they can get an auto BCS bid. Make it so!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #2066
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
With all of the expansion centered on football, Kansas would be a nice step in the opposite direction, but Utah/Colorado would work a bit more.

I've heard Utah, but what does Utah bring? I don't know enough about them aside from their football program. Are they an AAU member? How are their markets compared to KC and Wichita? Do they have the revenue to compete in the Pac?

I may be way off on this, but I'd think given the potential new additions Kansas may be a better fit (especially in a division format). But I may not be seeing the big picture either given my lack of knowledge of Utah.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #2067
MrBug708
Head Coach

Utah brings in the SLC market, is closer then Kansas, and tends to have more of a PAC-10 feel to it. They have a decent enough of a basketball/football tradition as well as a strong Olympic sports package. That and their proximity to the rest of the PAC-10, especially Colorado makes it attractive. The PAC-10 always wanted Texas as part of it, but it was always thought that the PAC-10 expanded to 12 teams, Utah/Colorado would be those teams.

Kansas would be a solid move, I just think the PAC-10 would move towards Utah
Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #2068
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Big East yay!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #2069
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
Well, I, for one, am excited by the prospect of Nebraska joining the Big-10.

Weclome my Cornhusking Brothers and Sisters!

+1

I really like the idea of a PSU-Nebraska rivalry. I'm still sore over 1994.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #2070
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I don't care if the Big East loses Syracuse or Rutgers, but my biggest fear is that they take Maryland away from teh ACC. It makes a ton of sense. Maryland and WVU have a longe rstanding out of confernece rivalry, and I'd hater to see that go away, since they'd likely be in a confernece with the powerful east teams like Penn State, Ohio, and U of M, and probbaly wouldn;t want to keep us around as an OOC rival...

Old 06-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #2071
MJ4H
Coordinator

Sigh.

InsideTexas.com - Source: Texas to Pac-10 imminent; A&M, individually, not offered by SEC

Our source also spoke to a high-ranking SEC official who reports that no invitation to join the SEC has been extended to Texas A&M and none is expected to be offered.

Our information indicates that any invitation to A&M was contingent upon either Texas or Oklahoma joining the league as well. But the Horns and the Sooners appear to both be onboard to allign with an expanded Pac-10.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #2072
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Sad for the SEC and me. I was hoping A&M, WVU, V Tech and the one of the G Tech, FSU and Clemson they most could handle if the Big East was exploding.

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 06-11-2010 at 07:54 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #2073
MJ4H
Coordinator

I still don't really know how much to trust these Texas sources. That sucks if true, though.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #2074
timmynausea
College Starter

Weird. I guess the SEC doesn't want to mess with Texas.
timmynausea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #2075
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Utah brings in the SLC market, is closer then Kansas, and tends to have more of a PAC-10 feel to it. They have a decent enough of a basketball/football tradition as well as a strong Olympic sports package. That and their proximity to the rest of the PAC-10, especially Colorado makes it attractive. The PAC-10 always wanted Texas as part of it, but it was always thought that the PAC-10 expanded to 12 teams, Utah/Colorado would be those teams.

Kansas would be a solid move, I just think the PAC-10 would move towards Utah

The SLC market is the same size as the KC market though. KU also brings in the Wichita market. I'm guessing the SLC market is probably a better opportunity for future growth though.

But let's say the Pac 10 add Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech. Would it then make more sense to add Kansas due to distance?

I'm probably grasping at straws here, but I'd love to see Kansas stick with Texas and align themselves with the Pac for obvious reasons, lol.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #2076
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, I'd guess Utah is ahead of Kansas on the Pac-10's wishlist. They make more sense geographically, and they have a longer history with Colorado so they'd be a more natural "rival". They're not in the AAU, but they are a top-level research university (classified RU/VH by the Carnegie Foundation as are all the current Pac-10 schools). The SLC market is one spot above Kansas City, and it's got more room for growth IMO.

It's too bad, because I'd love to have the Kansas basketball program in the conference, but I'd guess Utah is preferred by Larry Scott.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #2077
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Sigh.

InsideTexas.com - Source: Texas to Pac-10 imminent; A&M, individually, not offered by SEC

Our source also spoke to a high-ranking SEC official who reports that no invitation to join the SEC has been extended to Texas A&M and none is expected to be offered.

Our information indicates that any invitation to A&M was contingent upon either Texas or Oklahoma joining the league as well. But the Horns and the Sooners appear to both be onboard to allign with an expanded Pac-10.

Ugh, that would bite for Kansas given I was hoping for their spot in the Pac. I'm a bit surprised that the SEC wouldn't want Texas A&M on their own merits though.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #2078
the_meanstrosity
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
Yeah, I'd guess Utah is ahead of Kansas on the Pac-10's wishlist. They make more sense geographically, and they have a longer history with Colorado so they'd be a more natural "rival". They're not in the AAU, but they are a top-level research university (classified RU/VH by the Carnegie Foundation as are all the current Pac-10 schools). The SLC market is one spot above Kansas City, and it's got more room for growth IMO.

It's too bad, because I'd love to have the Kansas basketball program in the conference, but I'd guess Utah is preferred by Larry Scott.

Ah well, probably a moot point now if the A&M story is true.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #2079
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ4H View Post
Sigh.

This is good news for Mizzou and Kansas. Opens up more SEC options as the process moves forward. You can never have enough at this point.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-11-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #2080
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Delaney said setting up divisions will be based on competition first, and location second.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #2081
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
+1

There's the Michigan vs. Nebraska as well to due to the split title.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:25 PM   #2082
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
There's the Michigan vs. Nebraska as well to due to the split title.

And of course the Alamo Bowl fiasco which ended up being the worst officiated game ever.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 PM   #2083
MJ4H
Coordinator

A bit of contrariness on the A&M no SEC offer speculation:

Kirk Bohls tweet

SEC school source tells me that "A&M is a school worth getting" and could be only school offered. "No nice, neat package sitting out there."
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #2084
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Looks more and more like the A&M to the SEC thing was contingent upon Oklahoma more than Texas. It is surprising that the SEC wouldn't want A&M by itself though, but it looks like the Pac 10 has given A&M 72 hours to join the other big 4 in moving over:

Source: Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State plan to join Pac-10 - ESPN

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will join the Pacific-10 Conference when a formal offer is made, a source told ESPN's Joe Schad on Friday.

Texas A&M, the Austin American Statesman reported, is torn between joining the Pac-10 or Southeastern Conference. The Aggies will have a 72-hour timetable to decide whether to accept the Pac-10's offer, the newspaper reported.

A formal offer from the Pac-10 could come as soon as this weekend, the newspaper reported.

Another source with knowledge of the situation confirmed to ESPN.com's Andy Katz that Texas A&M was looking at the SEC, but the source said he is convinced the Aggies will end up in the Pac-10.

The source said the SEC consideration was fueled by "ego purposes" within Texas A&M, that the Aggies' power brokers sought distance from the Texas decision and didn't want to convey the appearance they were doing everything because of Texas.

Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe said Friday he is still working to convince the remaining 10 members to stay put.

"We're working with all those members. We've had a lot of positive feedback about the desire of those institutions to [stay] together," Beebe said. "There's been a lot of speculation about people going west ... I'm going all the way to the final whistle. I'm playing it out as hard and fast as I can."
Old 06-11-2010, 08:33 PM   #2085
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is good news for Mizzou and Kansas. Opens up more SEC options as the process moves forward. You can never have enough at this point.
So wait - I thought Mizzou to the Big Ten was a done deal?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #2086
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKingGold View Post
+1

Kinda like the prospects of that too.

(Nebraska is like Penn State but in red, anyway)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #2087
MJ4H
Coordinator

Ketchum tweets

Just had an informed Aggie I trust tell me the SEC thing is going to happen. Lots of smoke. I can't wait to watch the drama unfold
Old 06-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #2088
MJ4H
Coordinator

That article I posted about no offer to A&M has been poo-pooed on a lot of sites now. Looks like momentum might be moving the other direction now with some recent tweets.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #2089
Scarecrow
College Prospect

I may be naive, but I think the musical chairs is over (for the most part). The only other defection will be Utah to the PAC 10, to create the PAC 12 (which is the new conference name said by both Colorado and PAC 10 officials in their press conferences). The Big 10 would then become the Big 12, and the Big 12 would become the Big 10.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #2090
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I may be naive, but I think the musical chairs is over (for the most part). The only other defection will be Utah to the PAC 10, to create the PAC 12 (which is the new conference name said by both Colorado and PAC 10 officials in their press conferences). The Big 10 would then become the Big 12, and the Big 12 would become the Big 10.

Big 10 will never change their name. It's a brand, and no way they'd let the Big 12 take it considering how prestigious it is. It doesn't make sense but hell, we've had 11 teams for 15 years, why stop now?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #2091
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
I may be naive, but I think the musical chairs is over (for the most part).
I think you are naive.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #2092
MJ4H
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
I think you are naive.

Very. Way too much smoke.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #2093
Bearcat729
College Benchwarmer

I just sit here and hope that the Big East can bring in teams that keep it competitive. I hate to think that UC gets screwed by all this just as the program is starting to get built.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:49 PM   #2094
MJ4H
Coordinator

"I'm receiving e-mail after e-mail from people telling me that A&M is going to the SEC and it will be announced before Texas meets on Tuesday."

same guy as before
Old 06-11-2010, 08:55 PM   #2095
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat729 View Post
I just sit here and hope that the Big East can bring in teams that keep it competitive. I hate to think that UC gets screwed by all this just as the program is starting to get built.

I agree, I have a lot of respect for Cincy and Louisville for coming in and helping us out and just the time when we needed in. UConn and USF too - they all played their hearts out. I don;t want to see any of them go now from a BSC conference.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #2096
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I agree, I have a lot of respect for Cincy and Louisville for coming in and helping us out and just the time when we needed in. UConn and USF too - they all played their hearts out. I don;t want to see any of them go now from a BSC conference.

Y'know, I'm not exactly a BE fan nor do I have hardly any connection to any of the teams you mentioned so take this FWIW but ... I think you may have made one of the most rational & reasonable posts in this whole thread. Never mind BCS worthiness (or whatever), but your feeling about them in that regard makes perfect sense to me, none of them lack for effort & that's rightfully worth something.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #2097
MJ4H
Coordinator

I will say, there are a LOT of people that are suddenly thinking this is over and A&M is coming to the SEC. Still nothing I can find other than some smug people that I would think would know.

for example:

"It's a done deal.

The offer was unofficially extended, and before they left for the weekend, a deal was in place.

All it needs is the vote by the reagents, but that is seen as mostly a formality.

After the vote the official offer will be extended, and aTm will be in the SEC by Tuesday morning."

I think this really just happened.

Last edited by MJ4H : 06-11-2010 at 09:11 PM. Reason: cue the jokes about my "sources"
Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #2098
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Abe's Ideal Big East/ACC/Others after the chairs move: (Assuming Clemson, G Tech, FSU and A&M to SEC, and Rutgers/Syracuse/Notre Dame/Missouri to Big Ten)

Cincy
Louisville
Kansas
WVU
Pitt
U Conn
Maryland
UVA
V Tech
USF
Miami
Kansas State
Boston College

And then three of Wake Forest, UNC, NC State, Duke, or if they want to stay together good, and take UCF and Memphis and one other team (Iowa State? Another Big 12 that didn't make the cut that's not Baylor? Grab one other school of value that's doing well in teh smaller leagues and cut the tether). If you had to, you could take the four and drop Kansas State, but I'd prefer K State over the fourth of that group by a lot.

Oh, and seperate the bball and fball conferences finally.

And if the offers change, chane with them. So if Maryland goes over Missouri to the Big Ten, bring in Missouri, or V Tech to the SEC over Georgia Tech, then bring them in, etc.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #2099
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Y'know, I'm not exactly a BE fan nor do I have hardly any connection to any of the teams you mentioned so take this FWIW but ... I think you may have made one of the most rational & reasonable posts in this whole thread. Never mind BCS worthiness (or whatever), but your feeling about them in that regard makes perfect sense to me, none of them lack for effort & that's rightfully worth something.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2010, 09:09 PM   #2100
Arles
Grey Dog Software

My hope is that A&M, KU, KSU and maybe someone else (Virgina Tech?) goes to the SEC, with the OK-TX four to the pac 10 along with Utah. Finally, Rutgers, ND, Mizzou and Georgia Tech join up with the Big 10. Then, only Iowa State and Baylor would lose out from the Big 12. I'd hate to see one of Kansas/Missouri (and even KSU) get left in the cold. Those are some pretty good programs.

Last edited by Arles : 06-11-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Arles is offline   Reply With Quote