Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #2051
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Now why can't Meche pitch like THAT more often. Good lord.

Greinke start will be interesting today. Had his worst outing last time out. We'll see if he gets back on track today.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 AM   #2052
miked
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Garrett Anderson just went yard

That has got to be worth noting

Yes, they'll think it's the beginning of his "power surge" and start giving him even more ABs.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:35 AM   #2053
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Anybody got a couple of spare outfielders the Braves could borrow?

Top half of the order tonight through 8 innings: 5-14
Bottom half of the order (Anderson, Norton, Francouer, Johnson): 0-12

Which explains why they trail Pittsburgh 3-1.

And 3 of the Braves starting pitchers have a higher batting average than tonight's fill-in 1B Greg "I'm a waste of a roster spot" Norton.

::raises hand::

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:40 AM   #2054
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

I thought Wang looked much better last night. Results weren't that much better, but his movement and velocity were much improved from what he was throwing earlier. I think they've got to give him at least one more - I wouldn't be surprised if he's about to turn the corner.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #2055
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Ah Dusty. Last night Cordero had come in to finish up a 2-0 victory when the rains hit. After a two hour plus rain delay Dusty inexplicably puts Cordero back in the game. Cordero promptly gives up two runs and the game goes into extra innings.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #2056
Butter
Coordinator

Yes, that made no sense. I went to bed before the resumption of the game, safe in believing that Dusty would just run Masset out there, and finish things off. Are saves really that important to Cordero? Or is Dusty just THAT stupid?
Old 06-11-2009, 09:52 AM   #2057
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
I thought Wang looked much better last night. Results weren't that much better, but his movement and velocity were much improved from what he was throwing earlier. I think they've got to give him at least one more - I wouldn't be surprised if he's about to turn the corner.

The Yanks are pissing me off. All this money they spend and still can't beat the Sox. Put Chamberlain back in the bullpen...and stop relying on ARod to come through for us in the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #2058
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

As a Sox fan I wholeheartedly approve of your plan to take your second best pitcher out of the rotation and start shitting on your best hitter.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #2059
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yeah, I don't get how the solution to 1 bad starting pitcher is to take a good starting pitcher out of the rotation. That leaves you with 2 holes, not 1.

The math goes something like this...6 IP >>>>>>> 1 IP
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #2060
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

In addition, the way they've handled Phil Hughes the last year and a half has been retarded at best.
Fighter of Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #2061
Jas_lov
College Starter

Oh God, not Joba to the bullpen again. I thought this had been put to rest. He's too valuable in the rotation to put in the bullpen. The bullpen hasn't even been the problem the last 2 games vs. Boston and they've been much improved in the last month. Wang and Burnett go less than 3 innings and you want to take Joba out of the rotation, it makes no sense and it isn't going to happen.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #2062
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
In addition, the way they've handled Phil Hughes the last year and a half has been retarded at best.

First mistake: preferring him to Santana.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #2063
Jas_lov
College Starter

Keeping Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and another prospect might turn out better for the Yankees in the long run though.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:37 AM   #2064
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Making the trade also might have won them a WS last year.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-11-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:55 AM   #2065
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas_lov View Post
Keeping Hughes, Melky Cabrera, and another prospect might turn out better for the Yankees in the long run though.

LOL @ That. They could've had Santana for nothing and didn't pull the trigger. Plus it wouldn't have stopped them from still pursuing CC.

Right now Hughes, even at his max potential, is not going to be nearly as good as Santana, and Melky is meh. He's the worst CF in the AL East. Now granted, their is a lot of talent in CF in the AL East, but he isn't very good.

They'd have been better off getting Santana and Mike Cameron, or hell, even try dealing for Aaron Rowand since he'd give you what Melky does. When you have Santana on the mound every 5th day, you're going to win more often then not.

For the Yanks, not pulling the trigger didn't make any sense.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:58 AM   #2066
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Even INCLUDING weekly NFL threads, this is the craziest shit you've ever posted.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 AM   #2067
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Yes, that made no sense. I went to bed before the resumption of the game, safe in believing that Dusty would just run Masset out there, and finish things off. Are saves really that important to Cordero? Or is Dusty just THAT stupid?

That move was so dumb that it's taken the heat off of him for bunting with men on first and third with no outs.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:01 AM   #2068
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Even INCLUDING weekly NFL threads, this is the craziest shit you've ever posted.

Yep.

Seriously, Melky is in the bottom half of the best AL CF's and he is not going to ever get much higher then that.

I won't even go into Hughes because while I think he as potential, he benefited nicely from being a Yankee prospect and the hype the media attached to him.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:12 AM   #2069
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
Yep.

Seriously, Melky is in the bottom half of the best AL CF's and he is not going to ever get much higher then that.

I won't even go into Hughes because while I think he as potential, he benefited nicely from being a Yankee prospect and the hype the media attached to him.

Agreed on both counts.

Funny also that the media seems to be hyping the Yanks ability to work a trade for Mauer using prospects - I haven't looked at farm systems depth recently but my impression was that they didn't have much (despite Cashman's efforts to rebuild it).
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #2070
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Their farm system is "mid-table" I would say. Only Jackson looks to be an impact player in the near future. They've got a lot of arms, but who knows if any of them are any good.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:16 AM   #2071
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

I laugh when I hear people try to claim that Melky + Robinson Cano are top-tier players. Neither of them scares me at all.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:19 AM   #2072
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Agreed on both counts.

Funny also that the media seems to be hyping the Yanks ability to work a trade for Mauer using prospects - I haven't looked at farm systems depth recently but my impression was that they didn't have much (despite Cashman's efforts to rebuild it).

Well they have Austin Jackson who seems legit, but I mean everyone was praising Jose Tabata as the second coming and he ended up in a deal for Nady after he gained like 40 lbs and lost his ability to hit.

Delin Betances could be legit but he has durability concerns.

There isn't anyone in that farm system that I think people would clamor for.

I doubt Mauer ever got dealt but if he did there are probably 10 teams with way more top end guys in the minors then the Yanks have.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:21 AM   #2073
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Their farm system is "mid-table" I would say. Only Jackson looks to be an impact player in the near future. They've got a lot of arms, but who knows if any of them are any good.

They always seem to have a lot of arms that get hyped beyond belief and stupid teams always seem to fall for the hype and trade them players for pitchers that end up being turds.

It happens far more often (and more high-profile) with the Yankees then with other teams I'd argue.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #2074
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well they have Austin Jackson who seems legit, but I mean everyone was praising Jose Tabata as the second coming and he ended up in a deal for Nady after he gained like 40 lbs and lost his ability to hit.

Delin Betances could be legit but he has durability concerns.

There isn't anyone in that farm system that I think people would clamor for.

I doubt Mauer ever got dealt but if he did there are probably 10 teams with way more top end guys in the minors then the Yanks have.

Exactly. And yet the media seems to hype it up like the Yankees are the only logical destination and they have all the pieces that the Twins would obviously want. It's kind of
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 AM   #2075
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:

It's only been a year and a half. Maybe the Yanks stop dicking around with Hughes & give the kid some job security and he becomes a top 10 starter that he has the talent to become. Maybe Johan blows out his arm or something.

Not likely mind you, but possible.

EDIT: Mauer's not going anywhere.

Last edited by Fighter of Foo : 06-11-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #2076
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter of Foo View Post
It's only been a year and a half. Maybe the Yanks stop dicking around with Hughes & give the kid some job security and he becomes a top 10 starter that he has the talent to become. Maybe Johan blows out his arm or something.

Not likely mind you, but possible.

You can have your maybes, I'll take reality.

eta: Let's go back to the original statement: "might turn out better for the Yankees." Let's say Hughes does exactly what you say and becomes a Top 10 starter. Well, that's worse than what Santana is. So let's bump that up and say he becomes Johan Santana v2. Ignoring those short odds for a second, how does it work out better for the Yankees (especially Cashman and Girardi, who will both be gone with another failure) to be getting that down the road compared to both last year and today when they are 9 years removed from a title and are getting desperate?

Last edited by Logan : 06-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #2077
stevew
Hall Of Famer

One thing I've noticed is that in trades, it seems that the Yankees have to pay one price, but the going rate for other teams is not as substantial. For instance, the Yankees might have to take on an additional financial part that another team wouldnt. Now that may account for the fact that Yankee prospects are overhyped, and I guess I could see that. It's just my loose theory on the matter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #2078
Jas_lov
College Starter

Melky is having a much better year than a couple of the other CFs in the AL East but I guess that means nothing. He's only 24, Hughes is 22, and you're writing these guys off like they're nobodies. All I said was that the trade might be better for the Yankees in the long run, it's too early to say. Now it looks like a mistake, I agree. But 5-10 years from now those two plus the other prospect in the deal might be very good players.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:49 AM   #2079
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

The Yankees also pay the price for giving in so much (to players mostly). Nobody takes "final offer" and "we won't go that high" seriously from them.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #2080
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Melky is having a much better year than a couple of the other CFs in the AL East but I guess that means nothing. He's only 24, Hughes is 22, and you're writing these guys off like they're nobodies. All I said was that the trade might be better for the Yankees in the long run, it's too early to say. Now it looks like a mistake, I agree. But 5-10 years from now those two plus the other prospect in the deal might be very good players.

Melky Cabrera has had 1600 PA at an OPS+ of 86.

I think he is what he is. It's a total tossup between him and Ellsbury for the bottom in the AL East, and Jacoby's defense would make me consider him over Melky.

Last edited by Ronnie Dobbs2 : 06-11-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Ronnie Dobbs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #2081
Fighter of Foo
College Prospect

Quote:
You can have your maybes, I'll take reality.

eta: Let's go back to the original statement: "might turn out better for the Yankees." Let's say Hughes does exactly what you say and becomes a Top 10 starter. Well, that's worse than what Santana is. So let's bump that up and say he becomes Johan Santana v2. Ignoring those short odds for a second, how does it work out better for the Yankees (especially Cashman and Girardi, who will both be gone with another failure) to be getting that down the road compared to both last year and today when they are 9 years removed from a title and are getting desperate?

I deal exclusively in reality. Dismissing something unlikely as impossible is a fool's game.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM   #2082
Logan
Head Coach

BTW, the "other prospect" you keep referring to was Ian Kennedy. Kennedy was pumped up beyond belief despite having the most average stuff you'll see. Earned his spot in the rotation after being deemed too valuable to part with for Santana, and promptly got lit up. Before he was diagnosed with an anyeurism, he was dominating AAA for the third straight year; that's not a sign of an AAAA player at all or anything.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM   #2083
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
As a Sox fan I wholeheartedly approve of your plan to take your second best pitcher out of the rotation and start shitting on your best hitter.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:44 PM   #2084
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Melky Cabrera has had 1600 PA at an OPS+ of 86.

I think he is what he is. It's a total tossup between him and Ellsbury for the bottom in the AL East, and Jacoby's defense would make me consider him over Melky.

Ellsbury also has game-changing speed and fewer PA's too.

988 PA's with an OPS+ of 92
Total Fielding Runs above average (per year) over career +14.2

Melky

1789 PA with an OPS+ of 86
Total Fielding Runs above average (per year) over career +4.8

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-11-2009 at 01:56 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #2085
Ryan S
Quarterback

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
Put Chamberlain back in the bullpen...

No, No, No! It is a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) to find someone to fill the 8th inning spot than it is to find a good starter.
Ryan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #2086
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Dola, just saw this:

Verlander, since April 27th, is 7-0 with a 1.10 ERA. Unreal.

Yeah, he's been putting up sick stats for 2 months now

SI

Old 06-11-2009, 01:55 PM   #2087
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan S View Post
No, No, No! It is a hell of a lot easier (and cheaper) to find someone to fill the 8th inning spot than it is to find a good starter.

What about the 9th inning spot? One more year on Rivera's deal, some slippage in his performance...
Old 06-11-2009, 03:07 PM   #2088
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

I have been very disappointed with the Yankee prospects, especially Kennedy and Hughes. Will they turn into something someday? Who knows? I do know that they face incredible pressure playing for that team though, unlike what any other players face in MLB. If guys like Giambi, Teixera, Sabathia, and Burnett have a tough time with the pressure in NY, it should be expected that really young players like Kennedy/Hughes/Cabrera will have an even more difficult time of it.

With that being said, I would have preferred to see them pick up Santana last year instead. But, they didn't so now we just need to see if these prospects will turn into something or get traded anyway...

Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM   #2089
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have been very disappointed with the Yankee prospects, especially Kennedy and Hughes. Will they turn into something someday? Who knows? I do know that they face incredible pressure playing for that team though, unlike what any other players face in MLB. If guys like Giambi, Teixera, Sabathia, and Burnett have a tough time with the pressure in NY, it should be expected that really young players like Kennedy/Hughes/Cabrera will have an even more difficult time of it.

With that being said, I would have preferred to see them pick up Santana last year instead. But, they didn't so now we just need to see if these prospects will turn into something or get traded anyway...

always an excuse. cry me a river. either they can perform or they can't.

the red sox players face an equivelent level of scrutiny, if not in sheer number of media outlets certainly in intensity of media coverage and fan-base. as do cubs prospects from a passionate fanbase. as do mets prospects. and you don't hear fans of any of those teams making the excuse about the media pressure on the prospects when they don't pan out as much as they were hyped to.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-11-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #2090
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
always an excuse. cry me a river. either they can perform or they can't.

the red sox players face an equivelent level of scrutiny, if not in sheer number of media outlets certainly in intensity of media coverage and fan-base. as do cubs prospects from a passionate fanbase. as do mets prospects. and you don't hear fans of any of those teams making the excuse about the media pressure on the prospects when they don't pan out as much as they were hyped to.

I sincerely doubt that the fan/media pressure for Sox players is anywhere near what Yankees players face everyday of their playing career in NYC.

The Mets have always been second-fiddle in NYC. The Cubs are perennial losers with very loyal fans. Do the Sox face high expectations? Of course they do. But to say that they face the same pressure every day as the Yankees is just naive.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM   #2091
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Not only that but Hughes is apparently a bust 30 games into his career. Greg Maddux was carrying around an ERA in the mid 5's 30 games into his career and he turned out ok. People expecting immediate results from prospects are almost always doomed to disappointment.

SI

Old 06-11-2009, 03:21 PM   #2092
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

A lot of talk about the Yankees and Red Sox on here....Feels like I turned on ESPN.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #2093
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I sincerely doubt that the fan/media pressure for Sox players is anywhere near what Yankees players face everyday of their playing career in NYC. But to say that they face the same pressure every day as the Yankees is just naive.

How would you know?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #2094
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
A lot of talk about the Yankees and Red Sox on here....Feels like I turned on ESPN.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #2095
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post

Well said, sir. Well said. I will now return the thread to its regularly scheduled discussion.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #2096
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Yes, Royals time!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:28 PM   #2097
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Can I make one more Yankees-related comment?

Wow.

Quote:
Wang has the highest starter's ERA through five starts since 1913, when baseball began keeping track of ERAs.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #2098
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Can I make one more Yankees-related comment?

Wow.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:39 PM   #2099
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

What a fuckin joke. I don't know what you hear down in Pennsylvania via Idaho via Michigan, but the pressure put on these guys by the media and fans is non-existent. A team like the Yankees is the perfect place for one of these kids to come up. A guy like Hughes gets to come up last year and be the 5th starter on a rotation anchored by guys making a combined $100 million. A hitter gets to come in, bat 7th or 8th, and get protected by the likes of Matsui, Posada, Swisher, Nady, etc and is on a team where the fans die for an excuse to boo the best hitter of the generation.

How is that anywhere near the pressure faced by a kid who comes up during a team's continued shitty run and is expected to be the savior of the franchise? Think Evan Longoria had it easy just because it was Tampa? Kazmir? Think it was easy for Alex Gordon to come up? You really think the pressure Austin Jackson will face next year even remotely approaches what Strasburg will be going through in Washington?

Last edited by Logan : 06-11-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:45 PM   #2100
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
You really think the pressure Austin Jackson will face next year even remotely approaches what Strasburg will be going through in Washington?

yes I do

Quote: