Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-15-2023, 03:51 PM   #2051
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Can't say Wild Card week hasn't been entertaining, but the quality of play (and coaching) has not been optimal. Still not a fan of the extra wild card team. The balance is better with two byes and fewer wild cards.

For a three-point game, there sure wasn't a lot of football over the last 20-25 minutes.

Last edited by Solecismic : 01-15-2023 at 03:51 PM.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 03:55 PM   #2052
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Heartbreaking.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:03 PM   #2053
QuikSand
lolzcat

I am pretty all-in on McDaniel. I think he's a gifted playcaller and designer, and is doing his best in the "leader of men" department.

The stories seeping out, and the parade of gaffes late in this game are hard to defend. Just sounds like amateur hour over there on that sideline... maybe not Nathanial Hackett bad, but... like, in that direction. Gotta do better, and gotta step up and own it, I think.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:47 PM   #2054
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Giants very well may lose this game, but Dabol is so much better a coach than the rotating door of nimrods over the last few year. Once they get a little more talent Giants are going to be dangerous.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 05:49 PM   #2055
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

We needed an option in the Giants 2022 thread for Daboll turning Jones into a poor man's Josh Allen. It's nuts how good he looks this year.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:41 PM   #2056
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Such a shit personal foul Vs Lawrence
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #2057
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

You have got to be kidding me they threw a roughing the passer flag there. Absolutely dreadful call.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:42 PM   #2058
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

I don't care who wins this game but that kind of horseshit roughing call just can't happen. QB still has the ball so he's sacking him as far as he knows, AND as he takes him down he lets go of him. What's he supposed to do, give him a pacifier and rock him to sleep?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #2059
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I am seething right now.
Old 01-15-2023, 06:43 PM   #2060
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Horrendous call.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 06:45 PM   #2061
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I truly do not remember the last time I was so angry watching a sporting event
Old 01-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #2062
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I truly do not remember the last time I was so angry watching a sporting event

well that changed fast!!
Old 01-15-2023, 07:51 PM   #2063
Carman Bulldog
College Benchwarmer

I think the Giants win sets up for a significantly better Divisional Round weekend. San Francisco was going to crush Minnesota if the Vikings got through. I think the Giants can at least be competitive against the Eagles and whoever wins between Buc and Cowboys can also compete and at least keep it close against San Francisco.
Carman Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:19 PM   #2064
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I am pretty all-in on McDaniel. I think he's a gifted playcaller and designer, and is doing his best in the "leader of men" department.

The stories seeping out, and the parade of gaffes late in this game are hard to defend. Just sounds like amateur hour over there on that sideline... maybe not Nathanial Hackett bad, but... like, in that direction. Gotta do better, and gotta step up and own it, I think.

I am curious what are the stories seeping out. Not saying they aren't any, I am just curious what you have saw.

I am willing to give McDaniel a pass for today. He was dealing with his 3rd string QB on the road during the playoffs. I always think about how McVay would talk to Jared Goff right up until the mic cut off when he was in LA. I have to imagine there was a good bit of hand holding through the headset from McDaniel to Thompson during today's game. It is ridiculous that someone on the staff to assume that it was 1st down as opposed to confirm the correct down and distance and that definitely fall on the head coach. If it has not been an issue all year long as he says, I hope it is a moment of learning for him. There is no doubt McDaniel has to get better as a head coach but that is to be expected when you hire a 39 year old with one year experience as a OC under Kyle Shanahan.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 08:21 PM   #2065
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I do not feel confident right now.

Especially with all of these injuries.
Old 01-15-2023, 08:35 PM   #2066
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
I am curious what are the stories seeping out. Not saying they aren't any, I am just curious what you have saw.

Apparently in his press availability, MM said the team believed they had gotten the 1st down when they lined up for their absurdly structured shotgun run play on 4th and 1. I mean, you cannot get that stuff so wrong, you can't just be flat out wrong about the down and distance.

They had to burn all three of their second half timeouts to stave off delay penalties, and while you can try to point to backup players being confused on the field, it's the coaching staff's job to account for that and get the play selection in a few seconds early. That is a massive failure... I mean, when was the last time we have ever seen a team need to take all three timeouts for the same avoidable offense (play not in on time)?

In a game you end up losing by a FG... you just cannot afford to cede that much of an edge. Those three timeouts could have been very useful late in the game, eh?
Old 01-15-2023, 09:01 PM   #2067
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Chase is open every time
Old 01-15-2023, 09:29 PM   #2068
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Still not much confidence. They just can't stop the Ravens.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:35 PM   #2069
Jas_lov
College Starter

You don't see that everyday.
Jas_lov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:35 PM   #2070
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

A bit of a game-changer.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:37 PM   #2071
Ksyrup

Looked like a volleyball play at the net.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 01-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #2072
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Good things rarely happen when players forget about ball security and reach out toward the end zone. The play failed. Get two hands on the ball and take the three points.
Old 01-15-2023, 09:46 PM   #2073
Izulde
Head Coach

There's really no excuse for how badly the Dolphins coaching staff bungled the time management aspects and misread the down and distance.

Am I confident in McDaniel? No. Would I fire him? No. But his leash shortened up some for me. Those are fundamental, basic mistakes

Rookie Writer of the Year
Dynasty of the Year: May Our Reign Be Green and Golden (CK Dynasty)
Izulde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 09:58 PM   #2074
larrymcg421
Head Coach

What I hate is that the focus on these (admittedly awful) mistakes seems to be overshadowing that a rookie coach went into Buffalo with a 3rd string QB and lost by 3. The fact there's even a discussion of whether he should get fired or not is absolutely mindboggling to me. Like I feel like I'm living in a different universe.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:00 PM   #2075
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

This looks like last year's line.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:12 PM   #2076
Ksyrup

Why would Baltimore willingly run 35 seconds off right there?

And now a hold. What a debacle.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #2077
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Some really bad clock management today.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:14 PM   #2078
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

This is maybe the worst clock management I’ve ever seen.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 PM   #2079
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Oh geez that was close.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 PM   #2080
Swaggs
Coordinator

Not sure how I would feel as a Ravens fan with this game. On the one hand, the Ravens have no business making this such a close game, but on the other, the risky goal line play (that is likely going to be the difference in the game) and horrendous clock management shouldn’t be made by veteran coaches like Harbaugh.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2023, 10:18 PM   #2081
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I think that timeout carries over to next season.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:23 PM   #2082
Ksyrup

They played from the 2 minute warning until about 25 seconds like they were tied and at the 15 yard line needing only a FG to win.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:30 PM   #2083
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
What I hate is that the focus on these (admittedly awful) mistakes seems to be overshadowing that a rookie coach went into Buffalo with a 3rd string QB and lost by 3. The fact there's even a discussion of whether he should get fired or not is absolutely mindboggling to me. Like I feel like I'm living in a different universe.

They scored 31 points with 3.3 yards per offensive play and only +1 on turnovers. It shouldn't have been a close game. I'm not an advocate of firing, either, but if you get that miracle of a close game, you have to coach it properly.

Meanwhile, not sure how Baltimore lost that one, other than that one huge miscue. Still, the Ravens should have found a way back in.

It's been an awful weekend so far - not caring much either way about winners and losers, just really bad football other than the 49ers and the Giants. I don't expect tomorrow's game to deliver - not liking the patchy Bucs offensive line against Dallas - and Brady has not held up as well to pressure the second half of the season like he did his first 50 years in the league.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:32 PM   #2084
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
They played from the 2 minute warning until about 25 seconds like they were tied and at the 15 yard line needing only a FG to win.

I honestly did a double take thinking it was the third quarter.
Old 01-15-2023, 10:39 PM   #2085
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

So, 34 seconds left and a first down at the 17 and two time outs. I think the first full rest was fine. The second was about ten seconds too long. You don't want to give Burrow too wide an opening.

The Ravens probably win this one without the fumble - and Cincinnati has been solid until tonight.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:00 PM   #2086
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I expect the next decade is going to see a lot of Mahomes/Allen/Burrow/Lawrence in the last four standing. It's going to be really tough to advance in the AFC without a premium QB.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:04 PM   #2087
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
Can't say Wild Card week hasn't been entertaining, but the quality of play (and coaching) has not been optimal. Still not a fan of the extra wild card team. The balance is better with two byes and fewer wild cards.

For a three-point game, there sure wasn't a lot of football over the last 20-25 minutes.

I agree definitely product quality is down. The game has become a result ultimately of the speed and ferocity of the talent. I am not sure how do it but the injuries has become an issue. Top playoffs teams having to play journey QBs is not what I would pay to watch.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:02 AM   #2088
QuikSand
lolzcat

Ravens twitter is a mess. They want Greg Roman to be ritually executed at the airport. And they seemingly hate Lamar for being hurt. Not uniformly, but a lot of loud people feel he let the team down… and they therefore shouldn’t sign him. During his time, Ravens win 71% with Lamar, and 35% without him.

I get the anger, but it’s somewhat irrational I think.
Old 01-16-2023, 04:07 AM   #2089
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

I’m TeamMM and at the same time pissed. I want him to succeed, but also feel somehow short changed… that he can feel soooo smart but lead a team that sometimes looks so dumb.
Old 01-16-2023, 05:42 AM   #2090
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

Ironically, this sentence perfectly captures my feelings about the discussion around Mike McDaniel.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 05:50 AM   #2091
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think the statement “football Twitter is a mess” would have covered it. I wonder how many of those criticizing Lamar would show up to work tomorrow if there was a reasonable chance they’d suffer an injury or illness that could end or seriously curtail their career.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 07:13 AM   #2092
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

What I saw on Twitter wasn’t that they were mad he didn’t play, but that he didn’t travel with the team.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:17 AM   #2093
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Dola-I don’t get the whole “quality of play” argument. I want to be entertained and was. Of the 5 games we had two halves that were uncompetitive and one led to an amazing comeback. Other than second half of the niners game all the games were close and the outcomes in doubt. If you couldn’t enjoy those hanes maybe football isn’t your game.
Old 01-16-2023, 07:39 AM   #2094
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Dola-I don’t get the whole “quality of play” argument. I want to be entertained and was. Of the 5 games we had two halves that were uncompetitive and one led to an amazing comeback. Other than second half of the niners game all the games were close and the outcomes in doubt. If you couldn’t enjoy those hanes maybe football isn’t your game.

Maybe the haters bet against the Jaguars
Old 01-16-2023, 12:14 PM   #2095
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Dola-I don’t get the whole “quality of play” argument. I want to be entertained and was.

In this vein, they should do a parallel set of games to the playoffs to determine the #1 pick*, IMO.

Wild Card Weekend: worst record plays at fourth worst record; 2nd worst record plays at 3rd worst record.

Divisional Weekend: Winner of game 1 plays winner of game 2 (better record always hosts) - game winner gets #1 pick, game loser gets #2 pick; loser of game 1 plays loser of game 2 - game winner gets #3 pick, game loser gets #4 pick.

*or the top few picks
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 12:22 PM   #2096
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm down with that. Colts-Texans was a meaningless game in the last week of the season and was wildly entertaining.
Old 01-16-2023, 01:15 PM   #2097
Thomkal
Head Coach

Thanks NFL and ESPN for letting the game with two teams I care about the least be on TV tonight so I don't have to watch it
Old 01-16-2023, 01:29 PM   #2098
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
but a lot of loud people feel he let the team down… and they therefore shouldn’t sign him.

They need to be careful what they wish for. In the NFC South this season, Marcus Mariota, Andy Dalton, and Sam Darnold were fighting for second place.

Fans that want to get rid of MVP-caliber QBs to end up in a situation like that need to take a deep breath.

Or, as you put it

Quote:
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 02:22 PM   #2099
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:

The heart of the argument is that you want to buy into the illusion that playoffs determine a worthy champion.

Also, when watching as much as I have, and not having an NFL team to root for, I've always tended to go with what's on television.

The NFL prefers to put its better products on television, combined with player popularity and brand popularity. They wouldn't nationally televise, for example 2-13-1 Houston against 4-11-1 Indianapolis - a rematch of one of the two ties this season - a game that was much more likely to go to the wire, over the game most of us got (8-8 New England versus 12-3 Buffalo), which was far less likely to provide a competitive finish.

What I look forward to, at this point, are the moments that make the game. Maybe that's the first quarter, when everything clicks and a good team builds its lead. Maybe that's the ending, as it was with most of the WC action.

But I prefer seeing teams doing things to win games rather than winning because their opponents did things to lose them. At this point, I don't necessarily like seeing an 80-yard touchdown because someone didn't know his assignment. Instead, what grabbed me about the Giants/Vikings game was seeing quarterbacks understand where the pressure was coming from and what would be open. Efficiency. Seeing a team that had struggled lately make defensive choices (we're not letting that magic Jefferson guy get the ball in space or deep, mainly) that kept them competitive.

It was frustrating seeing the Dolphins put themselves in position for a major upset (in part due to extraordinary luck, but there they were) and look completely lost simply getting a play call into a game - going an entire game at a production rate that I would expect 7-10 points from, if that, but somehow still giving us the thrilling finish, only very much not.

So, is it playoff expansion or something else? It's not like the 7s are magically much worse than the 6s. I'd hesitate to make any grand claims about what is and isn't a person's game, but I think we all look for different things when we watch sporting events. I want to see well-executed, professional football in the playoffs. I saw enough of that to be entertained, even though I wanted more.
Old 01-16-2023, 02:45 PM   #2100
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I also wanted to delve more into the "worthy champion" moniker. Generally, when we communicate about individual games, we use a point spread. As in "the Cowboys are 3-point favorites to beat Tampa Bay tonight."

That translates to a 60 percent chance of winning the game (overcoming the built-in 55 percent chance for home teams). Most playoff games see 0-7 point spreads. Seven points gets you to about 72 percent.

What that means is that weaker teams beat stronger teams a significant percentage of the time. A lot of games turn on one play - a fumble at the wrong time (Tyler, what were you thinking?), a missed tackle, a play-call where the defense shifted perfectly.

So granting more teams playoff spots means a higher likelihood that the best teams don't even reach the Super Bowl. But shorter playoffs leaves a lot of potential revenue on the table, and generally, fans like playoffs. The other sports handle this by having playoff series. Best-of-seven, that 60% edge becomes a lot higher. That is not practical in football.

I don't know what the ideal playoff size is for determining an NFL champion, but the long recovery time and brain-heavy individual game prep places it in opposition to whatever practical system we could come up with. No solution could possibly be ideal (it's even worse in college football, with the shorter regular season and schedule issues and sheer size of the team pool). I just think going from 12/32 to 14/32 invitations placed it significantly more out of balance.