Head Coach

A little slow tonight.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:32 AM   #2052
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
I don't know the story but is the guy behind the uprising the guy who Dany is bedding?

Hizdahr? Yes.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:03 AM   #2053
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
A little slow tonight.

Apparently they can only do so much to overcome the slowness of this part of the books.

And god dammit. They put Tyrion on a boat. JUST GET HIM TO FUCKING MEREEN.

But yes. We're now halfway through the season, and very little has happened. It's been a bit of a letdown.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 08:52 AM   #2054
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Apparently they can only do so much to overcome the slowness of this part of the books.

But yes. We're now halfway through the season, and very little has happened. It's been a bit of a letdown.

Compared the books, shit is happening at light speed.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #2055
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Hizdahr? Yes.

I think he meant Daario and he isn't.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #2056
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I think he meant Daario and he isn't.

True, she hasn't bedded Hizdahr yet

Also, I'm glad that they cut out all the posturing with him trying to prove what a good King he would be for her.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #2057
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

I'm not sure what you're expecting. To my thinking, it has been a pretty eventful first half season.

Things are usually a slow burn as we go to the end anyway.

Considering they have significantly changed the storyline from the books, I think it's intriguing to watch anyway just to see what they heck they're doing.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:17 PM   #2058
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
True, she hasn't bedded Hizdahr yet

Also, I'm glad that they cut out all the posturing with him trying to prove what a good King he would be for her.

Well, that storyline is ruined. So thanks for that.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:50 PM   #2059
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
I'm not sure what you're expecting. To my thinking, it has been a pretty eventful first half season.

Things are usually a slow burn as we go to the end anyway.

Considering they have significantly changed the storyline from the books, I think it's intriguing to watch anyway just to see what they heck they're doing.

I found the first 4 episodes quite good, but last night's was a bit slow. Middle of the season I guess. The Valyria scenes were my favourite, it was really cool to see the old city.

I've been fine with most of the changes - and they are becoming very numerous now - but this was the first episode where some of the changes began to really stick out jarringly for me, to the point where it felt a little off as opposed to just different. Jon Snow borrowing Stannis' fleet to sail up to recruit the wildlings in particular...

Spoiler
Old 05-12-2015, 09:25 AM   #2060
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post

I think it would be bad if things were spoiled for you, but for the life of me I can't see how that spoiled anything - this is after Dany told Hizdar in the show that she would marry him.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:28 AM   #2061
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Jon Snow borrowing Stannis' fleet to sail up to recruit the wildlings in particular...

I don't get how this plotline makes any sense. You just got voted Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. You have enemies, even though you just beheaded one of them, and you decide to go up the coast on boats to bring back some wildlings - who is going to be acting Lord Commander? And can you trust that there isn't some form of coup while you are away before you've strengthened your position?
Old 05-12-2015, 09:29 AM   #2062
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Didn't realize I should have spoilered something that had already aired. My mistake.

Old 05-12-2015, 09:33 AM   #2063
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I don't get how this plotline makes any sense. You just got voted Lord Commander of the Night's Watch. You have enemies, even though you just beheaded one of them, and you decide to go up the coast on boats to bring back some wildlings - who is going to be acting Lord Commander? And can you trust that there isn't some form of coup while you are away before you've strengthened your position?

He didn't just decide to do it. Tormund said that the only way he would go get them and they only way they'd agree to follow him is if the Lord Commander, Jon Snow, was there in person to tell them. The wildlings do things their own way.

So, it's either go up with Tormund on the ships or give up on the wildlings.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 05-12-2015, 09:42 AM   #2064
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You do the later if you have any sense. Or at least give up on them until you can solidify your position.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #2065
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Didn't realize I should have spoilered something that had already aired. My mistake.

I guess you did spoil the fact that the dude will eventually be taking her to Pound Town and the marriage will not go unconsummated.

And there's no chance I knew his name before reading it here.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:02 AM   #2066
bhlloy
Coordinator

Did I miss the fact that it had already been aired that he was behind the uprising? If so, then my bad
Old 05-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #2067
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Did I miss the fact that it had already been aired that he was behind the uprising? If so, then my bad

He has not been proven to be behind the uprising in the books or show.

I confused him with Daario, who someone asked if it were him.

Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #2068
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:

Yeah, that's what I thought had been spoiled as well. I'm still confused whether it's been spoiled or not, but with a different character (Daario).
Ryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #2069
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it would be bad if things were spoiled for you, but for the life of me I can't see how that spoiled anything - this is after Dany told Hizdar in the show that she would marry him.

There is other info that was unfortunately made available too soon by another poster here, which you can find if you follow bhlloy's comment back through Grover and then back behind him.

That should have been spoilered. It doesn't affect me as a long time book reader, but it would piss me off as a show-only watcher.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.

Last edited by Chief Rum : 05-12-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 10:33 AM   #2070
Logan
Head Coach

Awesome.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:45 AM   #2071
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

AAAH, ok I can see the issue. Yes, it should have been spoiler boxed.

However, to clear the air, book readers don't really know who is behind the uprising either - aside from speculation that it is the major families, which is also the speculation in the show. I hope that helps things.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #2072
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
Yeah, that's what I thought had been spoiled as well. I'm still confused whether it's been spoiled or not, but with a different character (Daario).

Like I said above, even in the books we still don't know who is behind the Harpy attacks.

However, from watching the show we could reasonably assume that Hizdahr is behind the attacks.

Why?

His father for one. As an aristocrat and one of the city's most noble leaders, he was held culpable for the crucifixtion of children seen on the way into the city.

Dany's prior refusal to open the fighting pits. Hizdahr has been championing their causes for many episodes, saying it will help bring peace to the city. Who would know better than the guy behind the attacks?

Old 05-12-2015, 10:48 AM   #2073
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
I hope that helps things.

It does. Thank you
Old 05-12-2015, 11:25 AM   #2074
Logan
Head Coach

+1
Old 05-12-2015, 02:59 PM   #2075
whomario
Pro Starter

My look on the show has kinda changed over the last couple seasons. Due to the epic scope and the fact that we will not get to see the endgame of all this for a long time, i am currently having some trouble getting immersed into the various storylines. Because even the smaller arcs take all season due to the constraints of having to deal with 5,6 or more major character/story arcs every week.

I still enjoy the show, but not really from a story-standpoint. Enjoy the world/mythology that is shown, the characters and acting, the sometimes great cinematography.
But if the book series were finished (and if i could stomach their POV approach) i would read the books right about now or at least find out how this all ends on wikipedia

As for the current season, these are a few stray observations:

- Episode 5 did a great job giving background information (Greyscale, Valyria) while still making major inroads in terms of actual events (for GOT standards, anyway)

- I really like the way Hizdar is played, very conscious use of "voice-acting" that i like a lot when not overdone.

- Would have really liked to get something more out of Mance Rayder, mainly because Ciaran Hinds is a terrific actor.

- I like the symmetry between the religious fanatics in Kings Landing and the Sons of the Harpy. However, i do not get what the Sons actually are doing. Why "break cover" to ambush a simple patrol ? Do they actually think things will go back to normal if the Dany and company leave ?

- I hope that Doran Martell does not simply get executed by that crazy whatever of his little brother. Would be neat to have a rational character actually make an impacts somehow at some point. I get that it is all about the "game" but some actual negotiating/lines of communication between the various powers would not be a bad thing at some point. But then again, i fully expect him to die by episode 8 at the latest ...

- I know its the modern thing not to do that, but i wish the show would sometimes just end an episode on an "epic" view when it lends itself to that. In Episode 5, after the camera cut to Tyrion upon him seeing the dragon overhead f.e.

EDIT: Oh, and Margaerys turn in the last episode was pretty damn unconvincing. I get its her brother and all, but from everything that has happened before, her storming off and basically giving up any chance at controlling things seemed waaaaay weird.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”

Last edited by whomario : 05-12-2015 at 03:15 PM.
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:59 AM   #2076
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post

EDIT: Oh, and Margaerys turn in the last episode was pretty damn unconvincing. I get its her brother and all, but from everything that has happened before, her storming off and basically giving up any chance at controlling things seemed waaaaay weird.

i thought this was very weak for her character as well, but i think this may be an effect of the show going way off the reservation with this story line...i will spoiler the rest just in case there are people watching the show that may one day read the books

Spoiler
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:56 AM   #2077
The Jackal
Coordinator

More arya please k thanks
The Jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:14 AM   #2078
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i thought this was very weak for her character as well, but i think this may be an effect of the show going way off the reservation with this story line...i will spoiler the rest just in case there are people watching the show that may one day read the books

Spoiler

Regarding Loras...

Spoiler
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:16 AM   #2079
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Also, I don't think it's that out of character for her to turn - remember that while she's been playing the game very well, she's also been completely insulated from any negativity. Her family and her lands have been completely untouched to this point, so a brief overreaction is far from unbelievable. Also remember that Cersei neatly eliminated her father by sending him to Braavos, and Olenna already left King's Landing. So now she's completely alone. If it continues and she simply unravels, perhaps we get into unbelievable territory. For now though, I find this hardly surprising.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 05-13-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:23 PM   #2080
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
More arya please k thanks

Definitely. I'm interested in a number of storylines, but hers is the only one really tempting me to buy the books to get ahead of the show.
Old 05-13-2015, 02:36 PM   #2081
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno View Post
Definitely. I'm interested in a number of storylines, but hers is the only one really tempting me to buy the books to get ahead of the show.

Her story is the best. Worth the read.

Old 05-13-2015, 03:28 PM   #2082
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Awesome. I think I'll get them at the end of this season.
Old 05-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #2083
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I'm really excited that Meyrn Trant(sp) is headed to Bravos.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #2084
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
AAAH, ok I can see the issue. Yes, it should have been spoiler boxed.

However, to clear the air, book readers don't really know who is behind the uprising either - aside from speculation that it is the major families, which is also the speculation in the show. I hope that helps things.
Yeah, this is where I'm at. Unless I'm forgetting something, there's nothing concrete on who's behind the Sons of the Harpy in either book or show. Hizdahr is the most likely candidate (especially on the show where they've cut out so many characters), Daario would be a very interesting wild card, and I suppose they could track back to prior Dany enemies like the House of the Undying.

So, yeah, Grover would've spoiled a whole plotline but he's incorrect (at least so far).

Btw, just wait until Tywin comes back as the head of the White Walkers! Can't wait for that scene!
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 10:56 PM   #2085
bhlloy
Coordinator

Thanks for clarifying!
Old 05-13-2015, 11:03 PM   #2086
Ryno
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Btw, just wait until Tywin comes back as the head of the White Walkers! Can't wait for that scene!

Old 05-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #2087
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by whomario View Post
My look on the show has kinda changed over the last couple seasons. Due to the epic scope and the fact that we will not get to see the endgame of all this for a long time, i am currently having some trouble getting immersed into the various storylines. Because even the smaller arcs take all season due to the constraints of having to deal with 5,6 or more major character/story arcs every week.

I still enjoy the show, but not really from a story-standpoint. Enjoy the world/mythology that is shown, the characters and acting, the sometimes great cinematography.
But if the book series were finished (and if i could stomach their POV approach) i would read the books right about now or at least find out how this all ends on wikipedia

As for the current season, these are a few stray observations:

- Episode 5 did a great job giving background information (Greyscale, Valyria) while still making major inroads in terms of actual events (for GOT standards, anyway)

- I really like the way Hizdar is played, very conscious use of "voice-acting" that i like a lot when not overdone.

- Would have really liked to get something more out of Mance Rayder, mainly because Ciaran Hinds is a terrific actor.

- I like the symmetry between the religious fanatics in Kings Landing and the Sons of the Harpy. However, i do not get what the Sons actually are doing. Why "break cover" to ambush a simple patrol ? Do they actually think things will go back to normal if the Dany and company leave ?

- I hope that Doran Martell does not simply get executed by that crazy whatever of his little brother. Would be neat to have a rational character actually make an impacts somehow at some point. I get that it is all about the "game" but some actual negotiating/lines of communication between the various powers would not be a bad thing at some point. But then again, i fully expect him to die by episode 8 at the latest ...

- I know its the modern thing not to do that, but i wish the show would sometimes just end an episode on an "epic" view when it lends itself to that. In Episode 5, after the camera cut to Tyrion upon him seeing the dragon overhead f.e.

Doran Martell is definitely getting a spear in the head
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #2088
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Well then.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:33 PM   #2089
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Was that legitimate rape?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:36 PM   #2090
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Was that legitimate rape?

Yup. .really hate this entire storyline.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 09:52 PM   #2091
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
Yup. .really hate this entire storyline.

Ditto.
Old 05-18-2015, 05:42 AM   #2092
Edward64
Head Coach

Didn't add much that we didn't already know. But it may be setting Theon/Reek up to rebel and save Sansa?

Eh, I enjoyed the political plays but would have preferred more action.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:40 AM   #2093
Kodos
Resident Alien

Love Arya, but not digging her storyline this season.

And someone needs to wipe out the Boltons soon.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:10 AM   #2094
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
And someone needs to wipe out the Boltons soon.

This.

Littlefinger's play is interesting with Ceresi.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #2095
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Of course, knowing Littlefinger, he could be getting permission to bring an army to the Vale to ultimately ally with Stannis.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 AM   #2096
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

I understand the importance of the scene, but I hate that they ended on it.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:30 AM   #2097
Grover
Pro Starter

Sophie Turner 'Loved' Sansa's Game of Thrones Wedding Night Scene

Old 05-18-2015, 09:35 AM   #2098
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I understand the importance of the scene, but I hate that they ended on it.

They (the show folks) do seem to love the shock value of rape.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:46 AM   #2099
Grover
Pro Starter

Also, I'm completely glad I forgot about the scene that the book mirrors this with (without using Sansa).

So very glad they didn't go that route...

Old 05-18-2015, 09:47 AM   #2100
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

That was a very disturbing way to end an episode.

I've been pretty much tired of Ramsay Bolton since before he cut off Theon's cock. We get it. He's crazy. He's evil. He's cruel. He loves to torment and torture pretty much everyone. I've seen more than enough of that. The rest is really just unnecessary piling on.