Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #20902
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Way to politicize a memorial service douchebag...

Uh ... okay, whatever.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #20903
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
So Ted Cruz talked for 21 straight hours to try and delay the Senate vote on funding. The end result: the measure passed 100-0. What a crock.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:56 PM   #20904
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

So he spoke for 21 hours against it and then voted for it? Ha!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-25-2013 at 01:56 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:18 PM   #20905
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The best part was that at one point he read "Green Eggs & Ham" by Dr. Seuss, substituting "Obamacare" for "Green Eggs & Ham". However, he appears to have forgotten that at the end of the book the protagonist tries the green eggs and ham (i.e. "Obamacare") and decides he likes them.

So, maybe that's why he voted in favor. Or something.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #20906
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

My guess is the 100-0 is some sort of procedural thing and not the final vote. Don't really care to research it since I think the GOP are just as big of actors on all this "OMG the sky is falling the government is going to shut down!" as the Democrats. But I doubt the vote would be 100-0 on speifically Obamacare funding knowing some of the current members of the Senate.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #20907
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
So Ted Cruz talked for 21 straight hours to try and delay the Senate vote on funding. The end result: the measure passed 100-0. What a crock.

It was a crock because Cruz negotiated when he would stop withe Reid beforehand. He wasn't really filibustering because the bill includes defunding. He was simply grandstanding.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #20908
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It was 100-0 for cloture - to end the debate and actually vote. So no filibuster.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #20909
digamma
Torchbearer

Obama won the America's Cup. YAY!
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #20910
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He was simply grandstanding.

This.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #20911
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Fun article here:

Wal-Mart Returning To Full-Time Workers-Obamacare Not Such A Job Killer After All? - Forbes

Quote:
Wal-Mart is finally learning what all American businesses who seek to avoid their health care responsibilities to employees will soon learn.

It may be a clever enough dodge to cut employees below the 30 hours per week in order to avoid the expectations of Obamacare, but the move comes at a substantial price to be paid in lost revenue and profits. Given that the entire point of business is to show a profit, it is only a matter of time before employers learn what Home Depot learned some years ago and what Wal-Mart is slowly beginning to figure out—you get what you pay for.

Cut back on employees and you will, eventually, cut back on your profits as the savings a business creates by cutting worker hours leads to greatly decreased sales as customer satisfaction disappears.

HAW HAW!
Old 09-25-2013, 05:57 PM   #20912
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Thus ended the world's longest presidential campaign commercial, with a whimper rather than a bang.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #20913
Edward64
Head Coach

Does this mean the GOP multiple challenges to Obamacare is finally over? I hope so.
Old 09-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #20914
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
Does this mean the GOP multiple challenges to Obamacare is finally over? I hope so.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #20915
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Hopefully we'll just lock it down with the budget.

At this point, shutting the government down indefinitely would be preferable afaic.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:31 PM   #20916
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Does this mean Obamacare is finally over? I hope so.

Fixed it for ya
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #20917
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:

The GOP's still fighting against Social Security, so, er, probably not.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:16 AM   #20918
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The GOP's still fighting against Social Security, so, er, probably not.

The GOP doesn't really care or fight against any of this but I know that every time I point this out I get called out for not having a "solution" to the fake two party system.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #20919
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

In a new report on the exchanges run by the Feds:

Quote:
Premiums before tax credits will be more than 16 percent lower than projected.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #20920
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
The GOP doesn't really care or fight against any of this but I know that every time I point this out I get called out for not having a "solution" to the fake two party system.

I think you'll find that privatizing Social Security was a key element of the last GOP Presidential Candidate's (or his veep's) platform. Now, we can argue if that's meant to destroy or save Social Security, but....
Old 09-26-2013, 12:07 PM   #20921
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think you'll find that privatizing Social Security was a key element of the last GOP Presidential Candidate's (or his veep's) platform. Now, we can argue if that's meant to destroy or save Social Security, but....

Hell, GWB floated that idea.

SI

Old 09-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #20922
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I just got the letter from my insurance provider telling me my insurance will be canceled on 1/1 and directing me to the exchange. Yay. From what I'm seeing, I'll wind up with less coverage for about a 10% hike. Not as bad as I had thought, but thanks Obama.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #20923
Autumn
Head Coach

Well, in a few days I get to choose an insurance plan for my family that I can possibly afford from a spectrum of choices. As a self-employed business owner in a state with one insurance provider, which I couldn't possibly afford, that makes a world of difference. So thank you, Obama, for real.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:01 AM   #20924
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
I just got the letter from my insurance provider telling me my insurance will be canceled on 1/1 and directing me to the exchange. Yay. From what I'm seeing, I'll wind up with less coverage for about a 10% hike. Not as bad as I had thought, but thanks Obama.

Quote:
Well, in a few days I get to choose an insurance plan for my family that I can possibly afford from a spectrum of choices. As a self-employed business owner in a state with one insurance provider, which I couldn't possibly afford, that makes a world of difference. So thank you, Obama, for real.

Interested in know if the below chart is somewhat accurate for you?

Obamacare premiums - CNNMoney
Old 09-27-2013, 05:21 AM   #20925
Edward64
Head Coach

The article below is pretty critical of the GOP and Tea Party. Boehner and Cantor don't seem to have a good grip on them. The article made me ask two questions

(1) Should Obama concede to the 1 year delay of the individual mandate (from what I understand) but still do everything else? Is this one of those situations where he needs to help GOP save face but think about the bigger picture?

(2) Should the GOP be affiliated with the Tea Party at all? If the GOP was completely separated, they could go back to the good old days and make deals with the Dems and essentially isolate the Tea Party.

Republican hard-liners block strategy to avoid federal government shutdown - The Washington Post
Quote:
“Now, the president says, ‘I’m not going to negotiate [over the debt limit].’ Well, I’m sorry, but it just doesn’t work that way,” Boehner told reporters after a morning meeting where he presented the proposal to GOP lawmakers.

Senior advisers explained that passing the debt-limit bill was key to keeping the government open: Once lawmakers had voted for the debt-limit bill, with its one-year delay of the health-care law, they might be more willing to support a measure to fund federal agencies without provisions to defund the health-care law.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #20926
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The problem the GOP would have if the Tea Party split off is that it would stop winning elections. Imagine a 2012 election with Obama, Romney and Bachman. Obama probably wins by 15-20 points at least.

The Democrats would have the same issue if a sufficiently-sized left-wing group broke off.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #20927
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

IMO, Obama shouldn't negotiate on any of the terms the GOP is trying to use for the government shutdown. Not only will he not be up for re-election, but the issue isn't shaping up as a winner for the GOP, which is why you see all the GOP "moderates" in Congress really worried about it.

I remember all this from 95/96. Prior to the shutdown the GOP thought it had a winner on its hands. People would be on board with the idea that the government needs to "live within its means", etc....

But the fact is that once the government shuts down and basic services that people across multiple spectrums have come to love, enjoy and depend upon go away, people get angry, and their anger turns towards the obstructionists. In this situation, it's easier for the President (because he's one, singular voice, because he has the bully pulpit, but also because he doesn't write legislation) to cast himself as just another victim of the obstruction (which is what Clinton did).

Honestly, I'd actually like to see Obama go nuclear with the shutdown. Instead of the way it's usually done, where non-essential services are slowly turned off, and it's "relatively" gradual, I'd like to see him shut as much down as possible. An example? Send all the air traffic controllers home and shut down domestic aviation. When people get mad, just shrug and say "hey, we don't have the money".
Old 09-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #20928
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Obama probably wins by 15-20 points at least.

And there's a risk of a GOP'er finishing 3rd electorally, which would be even more troubling.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #20929
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Interested in know if the below chart is somewhat accurate for you?

Obamacare premiums - CNNMoney

I'm in Maine, one of the highest on that chart at $961/mo for a family of four, which I am. But that's still much cheaper than the options we've had available to us, as Maine has been one fo the most expensive states for insurance for some time, I believe. I don't remember the exact figures as I haven't looked at them in a while, but I believe our monthly cost previous to this would have been roughly $1,250 a month, and I think that was for much less benefits.

It's not going to be a huge benefit to us to begin with, as our state is booting borderline people like us off of the state system. But my hope is that rates in states like ours will go down as more competition is added.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:09 PM   #20930
Edward64
Head Coach

Pretty good week for Obama.

Gets consensus on Syria. May not have teeth but gets him off his redline fiasco.

Looks diplomatic with Iran. We'll see what happens but can't hurt.

And of course, GOP infighting and a can't lose situation right now. I think most will blame the GOP if the shutdown or default happens.

U.N. Security Council OKs resolution on Syrian chemical weapons - CNN.com
Quote:
United Nations (CNN) -- The U.N. Security Council, capping a dramatic month of diplomacy, voted unanimously late Friday to require Syria to eliminate its arsenal of chemical weapons -- or face consequences.
:
:
The resolution did not authorize the automatic use of force if Syria is said to be in violation, as was previously sought by the United States

Obama and Rouhani make history with phone call, thawing three decade freeze between US and Iran - First Read
Quote:
President Barack Obama revealed Friday that he talked with Iranian President Hassan Rouhani, marking the first time leaders from the U.S. and Iran have directly communicated since the 1979 Iranian revolution.

"Just now I spoke on the phone with President Rouhani of the Islamic Republic of Iran," he said from the White House.

Senate tosses shutdown hot potato back to House - CNN.com
Quote:
In a congressional version of hot potato, the Senate on Friday passed a short-term spending plan that would prevent a looming government shutdown and sent it to the House for a weekend showdown between Republican tea party conservatives and their more moderate party leaders.

The 54-44 vote on strict party lines came after Senate Democrats pushed through an amendment to restore funding for Obamacare that House Republicans had eliminated in their version of the spending measure, which would prevent the start of a government shutdown on Tuesday.

Now House Speaker John Boehner must decide whether to urge his divided Republican caucus to vote with Democrats to pass the Senate plan, or yield again to a hardline conservative wing that demands making continued government funding contingent on undermining Obamacare.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #20931
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Pretty good week for Obama.

Gets consensus on Syria. May not have teeth but gets him off his redline fiasco.

Looks diplomatic with Iran. We'll see what happens but can't hurt.

I have a lot of criticism for Obama but very little of it is in the foreign policy sphere. The Iran talks are probably a non-starter but you have to give it a chance as it looks better than it has in 30 years. I think Kerry bailed him out and has made Syria mediocre rather than a big loser.

SI

Old 09-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #20932
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
And of course, GOP infighting and a can't lose situation right now. I think most will blame the GOP if the shutdown or default happens.

I'm not sure that 'blame' is the correct word for it. I'm not sure the motivation is correct as far as the GOP forcing a default, but there's a whole lot of people that want to see meaningful change and these false standoffs with deadlines for political gain are getting really old. I'm tired of someone getting 'credit' for saving us from politics. I wouldn't blame them at all, nor would I thank them. I think giving credit to either side each time is only furthering the stupidity of these faux deadlines.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 09-28-2013 at 11:00 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #20933
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I'm not sure that 'blame' is the correct word for it. I'm not sure the motivation is correct as far as the GOP forcing a default, but there's a whole lot of people that want to see meaningful change and these false standoffs with deadlines for political gain are getting really old. I'm tired of someone getting 'credit' for saving us from politics. I wouldn't blame them at all, nor would I thank them. I think giving credit to either side each time is only furthering the stupidity of these faux deadlines.

How are they faux deadlines? The budget expires Monday and the Treasury says the extraordinary measures used to keep paying the bills expire on the 17th. Are people lying about the budget and the debt limit?
Old 09-28-2013, 02:27 PM   #20934
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
How are they faux deadlines? The budget expires Monday and the Treasury says the extraordinary measures used to keep paying the bills expire on the 17th. Are people lying about the budget and the debt limit?

The sequester certainly wasn't as bad as some made it sound. I am sure there were those impacted but not as a whole.

The lead up to this seems pretty low key. There's not been the buildup as there was earlier this year.

I don't know if its faux deadlines. I doubt we will default on government bonds but I can see we will stop paying government, civil servants.

When this happened with Clinton, the GOP was "blamed". Its the correct word in politics for sure.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 PM   #20935
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Did the drop in credit rating from AAA to AA last year have real, tangible implications? I would argue so, particularly for a country that likes to borrow.

SI

Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 AM   #20936
Edward64
Head Coach

Here we go ... let see how this plays out.

Hope any civil servants on this board won't be affected too much.

Any predictions on how this will impact the stock market? I'm thinking relatively nil in the near term as shut down as been a real possibility in the past week and investors would have already accounted for it?

Defiant House delays Obamacare; government shutdown looms - CNN.com
Quote:
In a move that makes a government shutdown very likely, House Republicans approved a spending plan early Sunday morning that would delay Obamacare for a year and repeal its tax on medical devices.

The temporary budget resolution now goes back to the Senate, where Democrats have consistently said any changes to President Barack Obama's signature healthcare law is a deal-killer.

On top of that, Obama has already issued a veto threat.

If Washington can't reach a deal, a government shutdown will begin at 12:01 a.m. Tuesday.

"The Republicans' first try was to defund Obamacare. Now they are slowly chipping away at it," said Dana Bash, CNN's chief congressional correspondent. "They want the president to negotiate. That is their line: the president needs to come to the table and negotiate."

A Senate Democratic source told CNN there were no plans for the Senate to meet before Monday -- the day the current fiscal year ends.

Congress could avert a shutdown by passing a temporary spending measure while the two chambers work out their differences. But neither side is talking about that now.

"I've not talked to anybody here who doesn't think it's a very, very big possibility, even Republicans, that the government won't shut down -- even for a short time," Bash said.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #20937
Edward64
Head Coach

I like that Congress has to do the exchanges also.

Why Congress is (or isn't) exempt from Obamacare
Quote:
Of all the arguments against the Affordable Care Act that congressional Republicans are mustering in the debate over the spending bill, one hits closest to home. Congress, they say, is exempt from the very law that applies to everyone else.

The truth: Members of Congress are treated differently under Obamacare, but they're not exempt. In fact, by forcing them to purchase health insurance through publicly run exchanges, they're impacted more by that key provision than similar employees in private sector — or even in government.

But members of Congress will also be able to purchase their insurance under terms that are more favorable than other employees — in government or in business — who have access to employer-provided health care.

Here's the history: During the 2010 debate over the Affordable Care Act, Sen. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, proposed an amendment requiring members of Congress and their staffs to purchase health insurance though state exchanges. Democrats, viewing the amendment as a political stunt, co-opted the idea as their own and inserted it into the bill.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #20938
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Did the drop in credit rating from AAA to AA last year have real, tangible implications? I would argue so, particularly for a country that likes to borrow.

SI

Good question. Not sure, I was not able to find any analysis of this.

However, the stock market is up so isn't that rough barometer?
Old 09-29-2013, 10:17 AM   #20939
Jon
High School Varsity

Quote:

I've been notified I'm non essential so I stop working mid-day Tuesday.

Hopefully it doesn't last too long as there are bills to be paid.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #20940
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Any predictions on how this will impact the stock market? I'm thinking relatively nil in the near term as shut down as been a real possibility in the past week and investors would have already accounted for it?

Defiant House delays Obamacare; government shutdown looms - CNN.com

There's plenty of analysis from the last go-round out there. Just came across this piece

Shutdown politics to dominate investor attention - Market Snapshot - MarketWatch
Old 09-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #20941
duckman
Pro Starter

We were told Thursday that they enough cash on hand nationally for the VBA to stay open through October 4 then we'll be furloughed.
“One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Tocqueville
“Democracy and socialism have nothing in common but one word, equality. But notice the difference: while democracy seeks equality in liberty, socialism seeks equality in restraint and servitude.”
duckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM   #20942
tarcone
Coordinator

Im referring to the movie Brewsters Millions.
What would happen if the public voted "None of the Above" in the next 2 or 3 elections? In national elections the people voted for no one?
Would the incumbents retain their seats? Or would the offices go empty?

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #20943
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Im referring to the movie Brewsters Millions.
What would happen if the public voted "None of the Above" in the next 2 or 3 elections? In national elections the people voted for no one?
Would the incumbents retain their seats? Or would the offices go empty?

Only the votes that are cast count. There is no concept of a quorum for Congressional/Presidential elections.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:15 PM   #20944
tarcone
Coordinator

What I mean is 300 million people vote but no one votes for any politicians running for national office. People vote for local issues or alderman seats, but leave the House, Senate and Presidential empty.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15

Last edited by tarcone : 09-30-2013 at 09:16 PM.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:18 PM   #20945
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
What I mean is 300 million people vote but no one votes for any politicians running for national office. People vote for local issues or alderman seats, but leave the House, Senate and Presidential empty.

Good luck with that.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:41 PM   #20946
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Good luck with that.

I don't know about 300 million but I bet we can get at least 9 people to submit blank ballots for national offices.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #20947
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Only the votes that are cast count. There is no concept of a quorum for Congressional/Presidential elections.

This.

And nobody is gonna get shutout completely since candidates do have a tendency to vote for themselves.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:09 AM   #20948
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post

It had no effect on our borrowing. Heck, we've never been able to borrow money cheaper. In fact, we're making money by borrowing.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #20949
Atocep
Coordinator

I'm a contractor at an Army hospital so I keep going to work. The direct impact on me would be my VA disability pay if this becomes extended for whatever reason.

The hospital will probably feel empty this afternoon though.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #20950
Thomkal
Head Coach

Just a question: So now that Congress has allowed a shutdown of the government, is it possible for the citizens of a state to call for a recall of their federally elected representatives? Not going to happen of course, but just curious if it could happen.

The thing that burns me the most about the shutdown is thanks to the 27th amendment, Congress continues to get paid during it.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote