Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #20851
molson
General Manager

It's amazing how there was overwhelming support for an INVASION of Iraq over the mere suspected possession of chemical weapons (and to a lesser extent, their use a decade or so earlier), but now such an overwhelming opposition against more limited missile-launching type strikes in the face of actual chemical weapon use against civilians (I guess some people are still questioning which side used chemical weapons, but I don't think that's the real reason for the lack of support). I'm not taking a side there, it's just interesting how war weary Americans are compared to years past.

That war weariness seems to be the #1 factor in public support. I never even quite totally understood why was the Afghanistan conflict was so much more popular than even the Iraq one. Was it just because we were closer to 9/11? Or was it just because Bin Laden was (probably) physically in Afghanistan in the lead-up to 9/11? Because 9/11 itself wasn't really a Taliban-led operation, and even RIGHT after 9/11, the U.S. was distinguishing the Taliban from 9/11 and Al-Qaeda, making demands that the Taliban to give up Bin Laden and other Al-Qaeda leaders. Was Afghanistan really that relevant anywhere besides the battle of Tora bora?

I don't have a strong opinion on Syria but I'm trying to look at it without the lens of pure war weariness. I think the "red line" deal is real and significant and meaningful - I'm sure Obama would take back the speech if he could, but I'm also not a fan of the idea that dictator can gas thousands of people to death and such a huge majority of people don't even want to think about doing anything because it's not their problem. Just hypothetically, what if it was tens of thousands? Millions? Obviously, that would be a different analysis, and there'd be more support, but it seems like conditions are ripe to push that envelope.

Last edited by molson : 09-10-2013 at 10:16 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:42 PM   #20852
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I realize I am far less educated in these matters then you guys who argue in this thread but I just don't understand our involvement when we have our own issues domestically. How many homeless people will die this year because of lack ofshelter or mental health treatment. Do you think anyone in Syria cares about them ?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #20853
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Well I'm not a fan of erecting an invisible wall around the border of the United States and saying we shouldn't care about anything that happens to anyone outside of it. Not only is that horrible and shortsighted foreign policy, but it is incredibly heartless.

I mean, how far do you take that statement? Should we never involve ourselves in anything that doesn't directly affect us? Are you willing to go back through history and say we shouldn't have ever intervened in outside conflicts that didn't directly affect us? How can we square that idea with the fact that we received help from France during our own revolution?

Now I certainly don't think war is the answer in every conflict overseas. I'd need a better case than we've received so far before I could support military intervention in Syria. I just find "people are dying, but it's not in the US, so who cares" an appalling opinion for a human being to take.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 09-10-2013 at 09:55 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #20854
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

But why should we try and save someone in a distant country when we have our own suffering here ?
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:51 PM   #20855
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I realize I am far less educated in these matters then you guys who argue in this thread but I just don't understand our involvement when we have our own issues domestically. How many homeless people will die this year because of lack ofshelter or mental health treatment. Do you think anyone in Syria cares about them ?

I don't think Congress has a "anti-homeless people dying" bill ready to go just in cause we don't strike Syria. One has nothing to do with the other.

And to (try to) answer your other question, I don't know if it's "right" or how things will turn out, but the argument goes that it's our problem because if the slaughter of civilians using chemical weapons is something armies know they can do without the intervention of the international community, then it becomes the new norm in military conflicts. At that point its just a numbers game. 1,500 Syrian civilians probably isn't worth some air attacks, but Obama and company feel that it's only the threat of intervention that prevents chemical weapons from becoming the norm, and from potentially millions being killed. And millions being killed certainly WOULD be our problem, because a less stable middle east means a greater danger to the U.S. Economically too, an horribly unstable middle east isn't good for anyone. And ya, there's definitely a lot of "potentials" and "maybes" built into that, and some of them may be very tenuous. But once people get into power, Democrat or Republican, they seem to believe that a proactive foreign policy is more effective than a reactive one. And Obama definitely wished and hoped that the mere threat was enough - he certainly doesn't WANT to respond militarily, Syria (apparently) just called his bluff, so he had to find a way out to save face.

Edit: But in light of all that, you might just be a strict isolationist, which is fine too, there were people who didn't want the U.S. to involve itself in WWII, because that was Europe's problem. That was a minority view though, of course.

Last edited by molson : 09-10-2013 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #20856
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
But why should we try and save someone in a distant country when we have our own suffering here ?

It's not an either/or situation. If we pulled every troop from overseas, cancelled every foreign aid package, and shut ourselves off from the rest of the world, there would still be suffering here.

Do you think that someone's life is less worthwhile because they were born outside of the United States?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #20857
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Now I certainly don't think war is the answer in every conflict overseas. I'd need a better case than we've received so far before I could support military intervention in Syria. I just find "people are dying, but it's not in the US, so who cares" an appalling opinion for a human being to take.

My take isn't that 'its not the US, so who cares' - its that both sides in the conflict are far from the 'good guys' and I don't see that intervening on either side is going to help stability in the region or reduce the death toll.

A far better approach would be what (is hopefully) going to happen where the international community work to try and restrain the worst of their excesses and over time stabalize the country.

Complaining about people being killed and 'fixing it' by killing yet more just seems foolish to me ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 PM   #20858
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Complaining about people being killed and 'fixing it' by killing yet more just seems foolish to me ...

Ya, it's kind of funny that unless I missed it, the nature of the "response" hasn't really been discussed much. I think I read something about how the goal wouldn't be regime change. And presumably, the goal wouldn't be killing more civilians either. I think the only real goal is to be some kind of deterrent to future chemical weapons attacks against civilians. And I'm not even sure what that would be under these circumstances. Maybe all this talk has been enough. Assuming the Syrian chemical weapons attacks happened, were they really worth it to them considering the risk that they clearly face now of U.S. intervention? Did it turn the tide of the war or anything?

Edit: Maybe it's enough that this is all enough of a big deal to freak everybody out for a while. I'd find it much more unnerving if a few thousand civilians were killed via chemical weapons and there wasn't even the DISCUSSION of intervention. I think that would be a world where terrible things on a greater scale could be possible. So at the end of the day, I'd guess I'd be happy if everybody got all butt-hurt about this and it was a big deal, but there was ultimately no actual intervention.

Last edited by molson : 09-10-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #20859
Scarecrow
College Prospect

Dear Mr. Obama,

Please return your Nobel Peace Prize as soon as possible.

Signed,
Thorbjørn Jagland and the Norwegian Nobel Committee
Old 09-11-2013, 03:55 AM   #20860
heybrad
Norm!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Do you think that someone's life is less worthwhile because they were born outside of the United States?
This might be a bit more meaningful if it really was about the Syrian government killing their own people, but that's not even the issue. Apparently we don't like the way they're killing their own people. If they had just bombed these people we wouldn't even be considering this strike. Let's do a pinpoint strike to get them back to killing the proper way.

Last edited by heybrad : 09-11-2013 at 03:55 AM.
heybrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:05 AM   #20861
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
That war weariness seems to be the #1 factor in public support. I never even quite totally understood why was the Afghanistan conflict was so much more popular than even the Iraq one. Was it just because we were closer to 9/11? Or was it just because Bin Laden was (probably) physically in Afghanistan in the lead-up to 9/11? Because 9/11 itself wasn't really a Taliban-led operation, and even RIGHT after 9/11, the U.S. was distinguishing the Taliban from 9/11 and Al-Qaeda, making demands that the Taliban to give up Bin Laden and other Al-Qaeda leaders. Was Afghanistan really that relevant anywhere besides the battle of Tora bora?

Why was Afghanistan more popular than Iraq? That one seems obvious to me: one was our "vengeance" for 9/11 as, yeah, Bin Laden was there versus the other which was, take your pick: a) revenge for daddy's war, b) a defense contractor's wet dream, or c) not at all related to 9/11.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #20862
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Ya, it's kind of funny that unless I missed it, the nature of the "response" hasn't really been discussed much. I think I read something about how the goal wouldn't be regime change. And presumably, the goal wouldn't be killing more civilians either. I think the only real goal is to be some kind of deterrent to future chemical weapons attacks against civilians. And I'm not even sure what that would be under these circumstances. Maybe all this talk has been enough. Assuming the Syrian chemical weapons attacks happened, were they really worth it to them considering the risk that they clearly face now of U.S. intervention? Did it turn the tide of the war or anything?

Edit: Maybe it's enough that this is all enough of a big deal to freak everybody out for a while. I'd find it much more unnerving if a few thousand civilians were killed via chemical weapons and there wasn't even the DISCUSSION of intervention. I think that would be a world where terrible things on a greater scale could be possible. So at the end of the day, I'd guess I'd be happy if everybody got all butt-hurt about this and it was a big deal, but there was ultimately no actual intervention.

Yeah, so far it's been a lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. If it remains that way, we get a bunch of chemical weapons defused, and having the international community there help contains the amount of casualties in a likely brutal civil war, I guess it's not really a "job well done" but better than it could have been.

SI

Old 09-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #20863
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Paul Ryan a firm ‘no’ on military strike against Syria - Yahoo News

Wow, takes a lot of stones to come out with a firm no after the issue has subdued. He would have probably been a huge supporter of Kennedy on the Cuban missle crisis after the Russians changed their plans.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:25 PM   #20864
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Killing someone because they don't share the same belief as you makes you an animal in my book.

Man, the US has been animals for quite a while (ie, look at the people we've killed and leadership we've overthrown in violent revolt due to Communist sympathies)
Old 09-11-2013, 04:27 PM   #20865
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Why was Afghanistan more popular than Iraq? That one seems obvious to me: one was our "vengeance" for 9/11 as, yeah, Bin Laden was there versus the other which was, take your pick: a) revenge for daddy's war, b) a defense contractor's wet dream, or c) not at all related to 9/11.

SI

I'll take "all of the above" for $1,000,000 Alex.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #20866
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

I hope I'm wrong about this, because the media is rarely accurate these days.

But was Obama's primary intelligence source attributing the chemical attacks to Assad actually a member of an anti-Assad group who lied about her credentials to get her job with intelligence?

If Hollywood was making this stuff up about Bush, we'd all snicker a little, because it fits the Bush as a cowboy persona the media liked.

But this is criminal incompetence, and it comes at a cost. Now Russia is helping Iran get another nuclear facility online, with better anti-aircraft weaponry to boot. We are one step closer to nuclear war, though it's still a long way off.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #20867
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

No. The primary intelligence as reported in newspapers in multiple countries was intercepts of calls between the government in Damascus and military leaders that used the gas. A German newspaper first reported this if I remember correctly. That intelligence apparently leads to some doubt as to whether this was a rogue unit, but it also makes clear that the Syrian army used sarin.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #20868
Edward64
Head Coach

I'm okay with Putin's op-ed. We agree to disagree on some stuff but that's okay. I think his comment about "American exceptionalism" is the one drawing the most indignation. This last paragraph seems out of place.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/op....html?hp&_r=1&
Quote:
My working and personal relationship with President Obama is marked by growing trust. I appreciate this. I carefully studied his address to the nation on Tuesday. And I would rather disagree with a case he made on American exceptionalism, stating that the United States’ policy is “what makes America different. It’s what makes us exceptional.” It is extremely dangerous to encourage people to see themselves as exceptional, whatever the motivation. There are big countries and small countries, rich and poor, those with long democratic traditions and those still finding their way to democracy. Their policies differ, too. We are all different, but when we ask for the Lord’s blessings, we must not forget that God created us equal.

Last edited by Edward64 : 09-12-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #20869
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I actually think that last paragraph is well stated. Of course his intentions in writing that likely aren't that stellar (he likely believes Russia is 'exceptional' for instance).
Old 09-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #20870
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
(he likely believes Russia is 'exceptional' for instance).

He might however in my experience I think most countries are reasonably realistic and accept in some areas they're better than others and in only a very few (if any) might they be truly 'the best'.

England is quite the opposite to America we chastise ourselves continually for not doing well in areas and I think its one of the reasons why for such a small nation we tend to do reasonably well - we're constantly striving to improve rather than considering ourselves the 'best' at things ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-13-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #20871
molson
General Manager

Is it wrong to say that America is unique though? "Exceptional" can mean good or bad. At least as much as I hear expressions of positive American "exceptionalism", I hear criticisms about the U.S. foreign policy, healthcare system, the corporate landscape, and the people (and the criticisms come from Americans as well as everyone else). And just in terms of scale of economy and the military, the U.S. is exceptionally relevant, probably even if it leaders tried not to be.

Edit: Just looking at GDP alone - the U.S. produces 1/5th of the world's GDP and twice as much as the 2nd ranked country. If you're just an alien from another universe looking at that, with no preconceived biases, you're going to recognize the U.S. as "exceptional", not necessarily in a positive way, but in the sense that they're extraordinarily relevant (and you'd hope they're not TOO evil).

Last edited by molson : 09-13-2013 at 11:37 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #20872
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
He might however in my experience I think most countries are reasonably realistic and accept in some areas they're better than others and in only a very few (if any) might they be truly 'the best'.

England is quite the opposite to America we chastise ourselves continually for not doing well in areas and I think its one of the reasons why for such a small nation we tend to do reasonably well - we're constantly striving to improve rather than considering ourselves the 'best' at things ...

I think the Enlgish viewpoint you are describing is a fairly recent one. The 1600-1945 British viewpoint was very close to the current American exceptionalism viewpoint.
Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM   #20873
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
How about we just let all those animals in the Middle East kill each other and worry about our own issues such as jobs, homelessness, education costs, David Wilsons fumbling issues, healthcare costs, etc...

The problem with your description is that those you describe as "animals" aren't killing each other. They're just killing people, regular people who have no desire to kill anyone else. One of the very reasons that chemical weapons are outlawed is because they're indiscriminate.

I think a lot of Americans are responding to this as if Obama's suggesting another invasion of another Middle Eastern country, bogging down in someone else's war. Now, I am not following this closely but it seems to me that what is being discussed is instead punitive air strikes on those who have broken international law. I haven't heard anyone discuss getting involved in the war--hell, who would we side with? We don't agree with any of the combatants. But it seems that nothing will happen because the American public is just hearing "war, Middle East".

All this really proves is that we need a drastic remodeling of the UN. This is the very reason they should exist but they can't take action in cases like this, they're so mired in gridlock at the very core.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #20874
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
I'm okay with Putin's op-ed.

Meh, Bashar Al-Assad's op-ed is much better.
flere-imsaho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #20875
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I think the Enlgish viewpoint you are describing is a fairly recent one. The 1600-1945 British viewpoint was very close to the current American exceptionalism viewpoint.

Oh I agree totally - and I think that arrogance was one of the reasons why the British Empire declined ... and definitely a large contributing factor to our current mentality.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #20876
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Oh I agree totally - and I think that arrogance was one of the reasons why the British Empire declined ... and definitely a large contributing factor to our current mentality.

Hmmm, didn't the British Empire decline because the entire empire was based on the illegal colonization of everything they ever came in contact with and finally everybody revolted against that oppression? Didn't realize it was because you were arrogant.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #20877
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Hmmm, didn't the British Empire decline because the entire empire was based on the illegal colonisation of everything they ever came in contact with and finally everybody revolted against that oppression? Didn't realise it was because you were arrogant.

(ignoring human rights, invasions, who should control what by right etc.)

It depends on your perspective - the empire declined mainly because of an increasing evening of resources between the 'colonies' and the core country and a lack of cohesion/bonding between the colonies and their home nation.

Initially technologically the core country had a technological advantage and the colonies were run by people from the core country - over time each colony saw itself more and more as independent and didn't want to remain a part of the empire which it saw little advantage from being part of.

I believe it was partially arrogance on the behalf of the empire which prevented them anticipating the changing climates and technological imbalances shifting - if they had anticipated this then they could probably have increased the bonding between the colonies and the home nation (ie. increase propoganda etc.) and have retained things for longer.

As it was it was 'unthought of' for the Empire to fall - so its largely accepted that they didn't believe it ever world (the sun will never set on the English empire etc.).

While you might say nice things about it being illegal colonisation which caused its collapse thats far from the case per-se, otherwise the United States itself would obviously have collapsed being an 'illegal colony' which while it attained its independence didn't give much in the way rights to the original inhabitants of the land (i.e. the collapse was not down to morals or the lack of them).

Its also worth considering that judging such things from todays standpoint is near impossible because our world is completely different than it was back then and what might be considered 'moral' or a 'reasonable risk' then is wholly different to what those terms might mean today.

PS - In many cases while not part of an 'empire' countries have retained connections with Britain willingly since things disbanded .... thats why quite a few countries flags still contain 'nods' towards the English one.
Its also worth noting that the empire was 'dismantled' in a far more peaceful way than most such empires throughout history (see Wikipedia atrible for details) which is probably why the Commonwealth still exists and a country the size of England has any sort of influence in world politics (abeit an influence which is diminishing continually as time goes on).
Old 09-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #20878
Dutch
"Dutch"

Arrogance is what built the empire and ultimately sustained it. It was torn down only centuries later because people finally realized that it was a bad deal for them. Having reduced your arrogance would've reduced your defensive posture and the empire would certainly have collapsed sooner. There was no winning the 'hearts and minds' of the oppressed.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #20879
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Arrogance is what built the empire and ultimately sustained it. It was torn down only centuries later because people finally realized that it was a bad deal for them. Having reduced your arrogance would've reduced your defensive posture and the empire would certainly have collapsed sooner. There was no winning the 'hearts and minds' of the oppressed.

The 'winning of the hearts and minds' has been done elsewhere throughout history if you look at things - many of the social classes in America (the obvious slaves for instance) were once incredibly oppressed in America but are now as proud to be American as anyone else.

In a similar manner the countries in Europe which are thought of today once didn't exist and were established originally through conquest - its how those countries were integrated into a large identity which largely determined whether they remained together as a whole.

(similarly I could expand more and argue that many of the issues with wars today are in countries which don't have a single self identity for the nation - instead being split largely on multiple identities with clashing ideologies ...)

PS - All this sort of stuff is entirely open to debate and I'm happy to admit its not clear cut in the slightest in this regard; I'm fascinated by 'what if' histories though of what might have happened if different decisions had been made in the past ....

I'd also argue that its not 'arrogance' that built the empire - it was technological advantage combined with aggression and greed.

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 09-13-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #20880
Edward64
Head Coach

Good progress I guess. I'm surprised by this step so quickly and how Russia is giving Obama an easy "out" for now.

Inspectors on the ground in Nov. Remember those inspectors in Iraq.

U.S., Russia agree to framework on Syria chemical weapons - CNN.com
Quote:
Russia and the United States announced Saturday that they have reached a groundbreaking deal on a framework to eliminate Syria's chemical weapons, after talks in Switzerland.

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry and Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov stood side-by-side as they set out a series of steps the Syria government must follow.

Syria must submit within one week a comprehensive list of its chemical weapons stockpile, Kerry said. International inspectors must be on the ground no later than November, he said.

The framework also envisages the destruction of all Syria's chemical weapons by the middle of next year.
Old 09-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #20881
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Lip service for Putin aside, I don't think the Russians truly understand the conception of exceptionalism:

Report: Russian team will give Tim Tebow $1 million for 2 games - CBSSports.com
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM   #20882
Edward64
Head Coach

Looking forward to how this plays out. Not much happening in domestic politics lately.

GOP ties Obamacare to government shutdown - CNN.com
Quote:
House GOP leaders announced their intention Wednesday to pass a bill this week that would only keep the government running after September 30 if President Barack Obama's health care reform law is fully defunded.

The decision sets up a high stakes game of political chicken over the next 12 days, as Democrats have repeatedly rejected any attempt to undo the president's signature legislative achievement.

"We're going to continue to do everything we can to repeal the president's failed health care law," said House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio. "The law is a train wreck."

"We aim to put a stop to Obamacare before it costs one more job or raises a family's out-of-pocket expenses one more dollar," said House Majority Leader Eric Cantor, R-Virginia.

The House bill, which would keep the government running through mid-December, also locks in overall funding levels at $986 billion, preserving Washington's so-called "sequester" -- forced across-the-board spending cuts that have been criticized by leaders on both sides of the aisle.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #20883
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

On that topic, this is fascinating: Health Tracking Poll: Exploring the Public’s Views on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

And by "fascinating" I mean all the cross-tabs.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #20884
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
On that topic, this is fascinating: Health Tracking Poll: Exploring the Public’s Views on the Affordable Care Act (ACA) | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

And by "fascinating" I mean all the cross-tabs.

Party & Race - pretty clear difference of opinion
Old 09-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #20885
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Yeah, the chart itself had pretty much no surprises, for me, but I thought the way they did all the cross-tabs was pretty slick.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 AM   #20886
Edward64
Head Coach

Watching Sen Cruz on Fox Sun talk show. This is the first time I've paid attention to him (and know its shallow) ... but is it me or does he have a perpetual smirk?
Old 09-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #20887
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Watching Sen Cruz on Fox Sun talk show. This is the first time I've paid attention to him (and know its shallow) ... but is it me or does he have a perpetual smirk?

He reminds me of Q from Star Trek TNG.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #20888
Edward64
Head Coach

Wonder if there is any infighting between the Dems like with the Reps? I don't think so.

In government shutdown brawl, it's GOP House vs. GOP Senate - First Read
Quote:
Whether the government shuts down likely depends on the outcome of a civil war in the Republican Party over health care, a tussle on full display Wednesday as House Republicans openly fought with their GOP counterparts in the Senate.

It's left President Obama and Democrats in Congress to watch from the sidelines as it all plays out.

The GOP internecine brawl spilled into the open after Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, publicly admitted that the Senate can't pass the government funding resolution that the House plans to vote on Friday because it would strip funding for the president's health care law -- despite his public support for that approach.

"[Senate Democratic Majority Leader] Harry Reid will no doubt try to strip the defund language from the continuing resolution, and right now he likely has the votes to do so," Cruz said in a statement.

Cruz, who's been a leading voice pushing to "Defund ObamaCare," tried to kick responsibility back to the lower chamber, which will have to vote again on whatever the Senate does pass.

"At that point, House Republicans must stand firm, hold their ground, and continue to listen to the American people," Cruz said.

Reaction from House members was swift -- and nasty.

"House agrees to send #CR to Senate that defunds Obamacare. @SenTedCruz & @SenMikeLee refuse to fight. Wave white flag and surrender," Rep. Sean Duffy, a conservative sophomore Republican from Wisconsin, wrote on Twitter.

"So far Sen Rs are good at getting Facebook likes, and townhalls, not much else. Do something..." Rep Tim Griffin, R-Ark., tweeted.

It's frustration driven by the reality that the House GOP could take the brunt of the blame if the government does shut down -- even though it's Cruz and a handful of other Republican senators who are leading the charge to use the government funding bill to defund ObamaCare. Sens. Mike Lee and Marco Rubio also issued statements on Wednesday praising House Speaker John Boehner for scheduling a vote on a government funding bill that included the defund ObamaCare provisions.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #20889
miked
College Starter

It's getting really annoying. They've tried to vote to defund this probably close to 75 times. Now they are betting our debt/credit on something that hasn't happened yet and has a 0% chance of currently happening. They will bear the brunt for this, but it's just not good for anyone.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 AM   #20890
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wonder if there is any infighting between the Dems like with the Reps? I don't think so.

In government shutdown brawl, it's GOP House vs. GOP Senate - First Read

It's such an odd reversal. For most of my life, it's been the other way with the GOP lock step in agreement with each other and the Dems the splintered group. The Dems are still splintered but the GOP is in all out civil war.

EDIT: I guess that means it's not really a reversal. The Dems are still doing their thing- that's what happens when you're the "big tent/everyone else" party. You'll never get anyone to agree there.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-22-2013 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-22-2013, 09:43 AM   #20891
Edward64
Head Coach

Unfortunately, I think a formula and precedence has been set. A terrorist group does not need to bring down a plane. There's going to be copy cats.

Kenya mall attack: About 30 hostages still inside, sources say - CNN.com
Quote:
Nairobi, Kenya (CNN) -- Fifty-nine dead. At least 175 injured. About 30 hostages still inside, as well as perhaps a dozen gunmen.

Those are the grim numbers, a day after attackers stormed an upscale Nairobi mall, spraying bullets and holding shoppers captive.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM   #20892
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
It's such an odd reversal. For most of my life, it's been the other way with the GOP lock step in agreement with each other and the Dems the splintered group. The Dems are still splintered but the GOP is in all out civil war.

EDIT: I guess that means it's not really a reversal. The Dems are still doing their thing- that's what happens when you're the "big tent/everyone else" party. You'll never get anyone to agree there.

SI

So basically, for the Republicans, they are either in "lockstep" or in "all-out civil war" but for the Democrats, they are either in "disarray" or in "complete harmony"?
Old 09-22-2013, 12:26 PM   #20893
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So basically, for the Republicans, they are either in "lockstep" or in "all-out civil war" but for the Democrats, they are either in "disarray" or in "complete harmony"?

Except I never mentioned the "complete harmony" part- the Dems will always be in disarray. Basically, the more narrow ideological party defines how the spectrum is arrayed around them as the other party is basically the "everybody else" party.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-22-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #20894
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Except I never mentioned the "complete harmony" part- the Dems will always be in disarray. Basically, the more narrow ideological party defines how the spectrum is arrayed around them as the other party is basically the "everybody else" party.

SI

I was using the antonyms you would normally use if you replace GOP with DEM. You only game me 3 of the 4 I was looking for.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #20895
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Except the point of the paradigm is that one is not possible.

But if one wanted to instead turn it into one of false equivalencies, one could use it for that.

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 09-22-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #20896
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Unfortunately, I think a formula and precedence has been set. A terrorist group does not need to bring down a plane. There's going to be copy cats.

Kenya mall attack: About 30 hostages still inside, sources say - CNN.com

Oh great. CNN reporting 3 of the gunman are from the US. 2 from MN and 1 from MO.
Old 09-22-2013, 04:37 PM   #20897
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Oh great. CNN reporting 3 of the gunman are from the US. 2 from MN and 1 from MO.

Not saying it won't end up being true but the source right now is a suspended twitter feed. No way that could end up being inaccurate.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:56 PM   #20898
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It's not like CNN has a history of fucking up coverages or anything.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #20899
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
It's not like CNN has a history of fucking up coverages or anything.

What more credible, CNN or a suspended twitter feed?
Old 09-22-2013, 06:14 PM   #20900
Edward64
Head Coach

We'll know soon enough.

'Most of the hostages' rescued from Kenyan mall siege as FBI begins investigating claims of Americans' involvement - World News
Quote:
The FBI is investigating whether as many as five Americans were among the small team of terrorists who took over a Kenyan mall and launched a bloodbath that has left at least 68 dead and 175 injured over two days of carnage.

The investigation is in its early stages and until a conclusion of the siege in Kenya — which spilled into a second bloody day on Sunday — authorities may not know for sure whether any U.S. residents were involved.

The notion that Americans were involved came directly from the terrorists themselves — or at least a Twitter feed purporting to represent the Somali al-Qaeda affiliate al-Shabab, which has claimed responsibility for the mall attack.

The account listed specific names and home states of the Americans they said were on their side. The group has had several Twitter handles shut down over the course of two days as they blast pro-jihad propaganda across the Internet.