Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #20601
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
The president continued: "America cannot determine the future of Egypt. That's a task for the Egyptian people."

Stop giving them money. Hold it in a trust fund for all I care. Let them fight it out and when we judge them to be stable again, we'll give them their free money again. I just don't see how giving them money is a value-add right now.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #20602
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Stop giving them money. Hold it in a trust fund for all I care. Let them fight it out and when we judge them to be stable again, we'll give them their free money again. I just don't see how giving them money is a value-add right now.

+1

We just can't give them money after the past two days.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:59 AM   #20603
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
More principled conservatism in NC:

and

We all know why they are doing this, but what is their justification they use while keeping a straight face?
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:08 AM   #20604
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
We all know why they are doing this, but what is their justification they use while keeping a straight face?

The same, "We're just trying to stop voter fraud," claim that goes along with every other law that's an attempt to keep certain people from voting.

Last edited by mckerney : 08-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #20605
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
And then you have Texas, which is going to try a JiMGA defense: We aren't disenfranchising minorities, we are disenfranchising Democrats.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:02 PM   #20606
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Mitt Romney is obviously racist?

Quote:
“Using the word ‘self-deportation’ — it’s a horrific comment to make. I don’t think it has anything to do with our party. When someone makes those comments, obviously, it’s racist.”

RNC Chair Reince Priebus
Old 08-16-2013, 01:33 PM   #20607
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Nope
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:43 PM   #20608
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Reince Priebus just looks like a made up name some politician used when trying to book a hotel room with a hooker. It's the Ron Mexico of politics... but real.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM   #20609
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Reince Priebus just looks like a made up name some politician used when trying to book a hotel room with a hooker. It's the Ron Mexico of politics... but real.

I think a better comparison would be to say it sounds like the conservative Carlos Danger.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:08 PM   #20610
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Why go Ron Mexico when you have an already awesome Carlos Danger already in the same field?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #20611
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

Business Insider is a real quality news outlet. So did they just mishear him, or did they just decide the story had more "zing" if they replaced "it hurts us" with "it's racist"?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:12 PM   #20612
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Business Insider is a real quality news outlet. So did they just mishear him, or did they just decide the story had more "zing" if they replaced "it hurts us" with "it's racist"?

I was all prepared to rip whomever at any outlet chose to cite Business Insider as the source for such a rather large story until I saw the change side by side.
I can actually see where that could have been a BI writer legitimately mishearing the remark & taking it down wrong.

In this instance, I actually think the MSNBC analysis (which was linked) of even the less harsh version comment is actually worth more than worrying too much about the misquote. Their take on what either comment signifies seems pretty spot on to me.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #20613
Edward64
Head Coach

Sure its not great but seems relatively benign violations of the privacy rules.

Obama faces Dem backlash over latest NSA revelations | Fox News
Quote:
The Obama administration faced a backlash from congressional Democrats on Friday following revelations that the National Security Agency broke privacy rules and overstepped its authority thousands of times since 2008.

The details were reported late Thursday in The Washington Post, based on an audit and other secret documents provided by NSA leaker Edward Snowden. The report challenged claims by President Obama just last week that the NSA was not abusing its authority, and complicated his effort to reassure Americans and Congress that -- with a little more oversight and transparency -- the surveillance programs are nothing to be worried about.

House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi called the latest reports "extremely disturbing."

Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., a member of the House Intelligence Committee, said: "Reports that the NSA repeatedly overstepped its legal boundaries, broke privacy regulations and attempted to shield required disclosure of violations are outrageous, inappropriate and must be addressed."

Senior lawmakers said they had been unaware of the audit until they read the news on Friday.
:
:
The May audit counted 2,776 incidents in the preceding 12 months of unauthorized collection, storage, access to or distribution of legally protected communications. Most were reported to be unintended, and many involved failures to take sufficient care or violations of standard operating procedure. They ranged from significant violations of law to typographical errors that resulted in unintended interceptions of U.S. emails and telephone calls.

The most serious incidents included a violation of a court order and unauthorized use of data about more than 3,000 Americans and green-card holders.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chairwoman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, backed up the administration on its claims, releasing a lengthy statement on Friday afternoon claiming that most the compliance problems at the NSA happen when the agency inadvertently collects records on a non-American who enters the U.S., a point when the NSA is supposed to follow different procedures.

"The majority of these 'compliance incidents' are, therefore, unintentional and do not involve any inappropriate surveillance of Americans," she said. "As I have said previously, the committee has never identified an instance in which the NSA has intentionally abused its authority to conduct surveillance for inappropriate purposes."
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:41 AM   #20614
flounder
High School Varsity

It sure makes me feel better that only a minority of the 2776 incidents were intentional significant violations of law that involved inappropriate surveillance of Americans.
flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #20615
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flounder View Post
It sure makes me feel better that only a minority of the 2776 incidents were intentional significant violations of law that involved inappropriate surveillance of Americans.

Yeah, I mean if it were only a thousand, no big deal, right?

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM   #20616
Edward64
Head Coach

I know the analogy is not perfect but its interesting how we condemn Syria, Assad's massacre of civilians, and draw a line in the sand but nothing forthcoming (as of yet) with Egypt and its massacre of civilians.

I don't think some/many countries are ready for US type democracy and don't think we should push for such. I'm happy with relatively free speech, free elections etc. albeit with corruption and crackdowns if the regime is relatively pro-US (or at least not vehemently anti-US).

This does seem to be a regional Muslim civil war between Sunnis and Shites and Military sectarian regimes.

Attacks on Protesters in Cairo Were Calculated to Provoke, Some Say - NYTimes.com
Quote:
The ferocity of the attacks by security forces on Islamist protesters in Cairo this week appears to have been a deliberate calculation of the military-appointed government to provoke violence from the Muslim Brotherhood and its allies, a number of Arab and Western historians of Middle East politics said Friday.

The objective, they said in interviews, was to demonize the Islamists in the eyes of Egypt’s broader populace, validate the July 3 ouster of the Islamist president and subvert any possibility that dialogue would reintegrate the Muslim Brotherhood into Egypt’s mainstream politics
:
Many said the events since the forced removal of Mohamed Morsi, the first freely elected president, suggested that Egypt’s military commanders had concluded beforehand that they would gain nothing from negotiations with the Brotherhood, and would rather deal with it as an insurgent group that presented a security threat, not as a popular political movement.

None saw evidence that Gen. Abdul-Fattah el-Sisi, Egypt’s top military authority, and his subordinates in the Interior Ministry and the police had been moved by foreign pressure to compromise with the Islamists, despite public lip service to the politics of inclusion.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-17-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:49 PM   #20617
Kodos
Resident Alien

N.J. Gov. Christie signs ban on gay conversion therapy

Nice job, Christie.
Old 08-19-2013, 04:47 PM   #20618
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

I am in 100% agreement with Christie on a personal level with gay conversion therapy being a bunch of sad losers who can't handle their kids being gay or gay people in general. However I am not sure how NJ can do this. I am thinking of psychics, chiropractors, acupuncture, clergy (IMO on this one)... who offer a completely made up service and aren't banned by the government. If somebody wants to waste their money on this how is it any of Christie or the state of New Jersey's business? (I honestly have no idea so please fill me in on the legal side if you do know)

And the "children" are involved in most of the other services I listed so I'm not sure that is a good enough reason.

Last edited by panerd : 08-19-2013 at 04:49 PM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:57 PM   #20619
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
I am in 100% agreement with Christie on a personal level with gay conversion therapy being a bunch of sad losers who can't handle their kids being gay or gay people in general. However I am not sure how NJ can do this. I am thinking of psychics, chiropractors, acupuncture, clergy (IMO on this one)... who offer a completely made up service and aren't banned by the government. If somebody wants to waste their money on this how is it any of Christie or the state of New Jersey's business? (I honestly have no idea so please fill me in on the legal side if you do know)

And the "children" are involved in most of the other services I listed so I'm not sure that is a good enough reason.

I'm sure he would argue (and I would agree) that gay conversion therapy is more harmful than all of those things.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #20620
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Not sure I'd put chiropractors and acupuncture under "completely made up" services to equate them with something like psychics.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #20621
TCY Junkie
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post

One should create a time machine if they want to change people, my mom and sister had hazel eyes and I'll never find a hazel eyed girl attractive. Just can't talk with her like I would other girls.

TCY Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #20622
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Almost everyone who go to these, psychics, chiropractors, acupuncture, clergy, go because they want to.

Almost everyone who goes to a gay conversion therapist goes because they were coerced or forced to.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:08 PM   #20623
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Almost everyone who go to these, psychics, chiropractors, acupuncture, clergy, go because they want to.

Almost everyone who goes to a gay conversion therapist goes because they were coerced or forced to.

I think we can both agree that this move is to try and offset his vetoes when he thought the wind was blowing the other way on these issues and not because he actually feels some sort of outrage.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:19 PM   #20624
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
I think we can both agree that this move is to try and offset his vetoes when he thought the wind was blowing the other way on these issues and not because he actually feels some sort of outrage.

I don't think it's impossible for someone to be against gay conversion therapy and against gay marriage. That may or may not be Christie's real position, but it's definitely consistent with the type of politician he presents himself as. Now I'm not a Christie fan at all and I was really upset with his veto of the gay marriage bill, but his motivations have nothing to do with whether the law is a good idea or not.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #20625
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

You said the government shouldn't ban it because it was no different than other services. I was just pointing out how it is different.

As for Christie's motives, I don't know and don't care. The end result is good for the public, IMO.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #20626
Edward64
Head Coach

Good to see them jump in and commit. Looks like they are taking a really a leadership position and strong stance against militants. The US will still be blamed for it regardless of how it turns out.

To be honest, I think I prefer a military dictatorship somewhat aligned to the US than a "democracy" of muslim extremists.

Backing Egypt’s generals, Saudi Arabia promises to fill financial void - The Washington Post
Quote:
CAIRO — Saudi Arabia is emerging at the forefront of a forceful effort by Persian Gulf monarchies to back Egypt’s new military leaders, exacerbating a fierce struggle for influence in the chaotic and increasingly leaderless Arab world and putting the Saudis at odds with the United States, a long-standing ally.

On Monday, Saudi Arabia promised to compensate Egypt for any aid that Western countries might withdraw in response to the harsh tactics employed by Egypt’s leaders to quell protests by supporters of the country’s deposed president, in which nearly 1,000 people and more than 100 police officers are reported to have been killed.

Saudi Arabia is the largest contributor to a $12 billion aid package pledged by gulf countries since the July 3 coup that ousted President Mohamed Morsi, dwarfing the $1.5 billion in annual U.S. aid that congressional leaders are pressuring the Obama administration to suspend.

But the unusually bold foray into foreign policy represents a big risk for the traditionally staid and cautious kingdom, jeopardizing its reputation as the leader of the Muslim world, reigniting a simmering power struggle with rivals Qatar and Turkey, and potentially harming its relationship with Washington.

Saudi Arabia’s foreign minister, Prince Saud al-Faisal, portrayed the struggle in Egypt in almost existential terms Monday, referring to the country as “our second homeland” and emphasizing that Saudi Arabia will never allow it to be destabilized.
:
Faisal’s pledge followed a rare foreign policy address on Friday, in which Saudi Arabia’s aging King Abdullah praised the actions of the Egyptian military and accused demonstrators of “terrorism, extremism and sedition.”
:
That Saudi Arabia is prepared to confront Washington over the crisis is an indicator of how deeply Saudi leaders were unsettled by the prospect of the Muslim Brotherhood consolidating its hold over the Arab world’s most populous nation, analysts say.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-19-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #20627
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Do you read before you post??

How is the US going to be blamed for the Saudis backing the Egyptian military and putting themselves at odds with the US position???

In the Muslim world, they will find a conspiracy theory to blame the US. Are they really at odds with the US position? I don't see Obama or the US government saying to bring back Morsi.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 PM   #20628
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
In the Muslim world, they will find a conspiracy theory to blame the US. Are they really at odds with the US position? I don't see Obama or the US government saying to bring back Morsi.

yeah - i deleted my post the more I thought about what you were saying - seemed a bit harsh.

and yes, the islamists will of course find a way to blame us (just like they blame us for the saudi government), and i imagine the US foreign policy establishment privately is happier with the military then with the Brotherhood in control.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #20629
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I love the Ted Cruz is crazy enough to renounce his Canadian citizenship.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #20630
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I love the Ted Cruz is crazy enough to renounce his Canadian citizenship.

I love that Ted Cruz is crazy enough to think he can win a Presidential election.

:::breaks out the popcorn:::
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #20631
Edward64
Head Coach

If the higher numbers are validated by the UN, Obama will have a tough decision to make on escalation.

Syrian activists accuse government of deadly chemical attack near Damascus - The Washington Post
Quote:
BEIRUT — Syrian activists accused the government Wednesday of launching a massive chemical weapons attack that killed scores of people in the Damascus suburbs and left makeshift hospitals packed with victims gasping for breath.

The death toll from the alleged attack — which the government strongly denied — varied vastly. The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said at least 100 people were confirmed killed, but that the number was likely to rise, while the Syrian Opposition Coalition claimed that at least 1,300 died. The opposition Damascus Media Office also put the toll at more than 1,000.

The United States and Britain separately expressed deep concern, demanded an urgent and unfettered investigation by a United Nations team already in Syria and called for emergency consultations in the U.N. Security Council. They strongly condemned any use of chemical weapons and said anyone responsible must be held accountable.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:35 PM   #20632
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward64 View Post
If the higher numbers are validated by the UN, Obama will have a tough decision to make on escalation.

Syrian activists accuse government of deadly chemical attack near Damascus - The Washington Post

Saw the video on TV. Absolutely brutal.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:37 AM   #20633
Edward64
Head Coach

Obama is looking for a coalition. I don't see the US leading the way here to build the coalition and if he is waiting on the UN it'll never happen with Russia and China.

France and Saudi Arabia seem eager after the past couple days.

Obama tells CNN key decisions nearing on Syria, Egypt - CNN.com
Quote:
(CNN) -- The time is nearing for a potentially definitive U.S. response to alleged Syrian government atrocities and an increasingly violent military crackdown in Egypt, President Barack Obama said in an exclusive interview broadcast Friday on CNN's "New Day."

The U.S. remains "one indispensable nation" in the volatile Middle East and elsewhere, Obama told "New Day" anchor Chris Cuomo.

"We have to think through strategically what's going to be in our long term national interests."

Asked by Cuomo whether the U.S. government is now facing a "more abbreviated time frame" on key decisions in Egypt and Syria, Obama repeatedly gave a one-word response: yes.
:
Cuomo asked Obama to respond to harsh criticism from his 2008 presidential rival, Arizona GOP Sen. John McCain, who recently argued on "New Day" that America's credibility in the region has been damaged by a slow administration response in both Syria and Egypt.

Obama: Aid to Egypt no longer business as usual

"I am sympathetic to Senator McCain's passion for helping people work through what is an extraordinarily difficult and heartbreaking situation, both in Syria and in Egypt," Obama replied.

"But what I think the American people also expect me to do as president is to think through what we do from the perspective of what is in our long term national interests."

Obama warned against getting "mired in very difficult situations ... (and) being drawn into very expensive, difficult, costly interventions that actually breed more resentment in the region."

Cuomo noted it has now been a year since Obama first said the use of chemical weapons in Syria would cross a "red line" and force a tough U.S. response.

Administration officials confirmed in June that chemical agents were used in April, resulting in an uptick of military aid to rebels that did little to assuage White House critics.

"If the U.S. goes in and attacks another country without a U.N. mandate and without clear evidence that can be presented, then there are questions in terms of whether international law supports it," Obama told Cuomo.

"Do we have the coalition to make it work?" he asked. "You know, those are considerations that we have to take into account."

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-23-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #20634
PilotMan
Head Coach

No way he commits to something there. It's easier to deal with the shitty aftermath than get involved right now and stake your claim when you may end up on the wrong side.

We are just a country of the world and he really doesn't want the moniker that Bush carried. Let the rest of the world decide when they have had enough and we can jump in and help, but we are done setting the table for everyone else just to be ridiculed.

If the Middle East wants something different they are going to have to figure out a way to do it and decide what they want and how they want it. Growing pains are always hard.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #20635
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
No way he commits to something there. It's easier to deal with the shitty aftermath than get involved right now and stake your claim when you may end up on the wrong side.

We are just a country of the world and he really doesn't want the moniker that Bush carried. Let the rest of the world decide when they have had enough and we can jump in and help, but we are done setting the table for everyone else just to be ridiculed.

If the Middle East wants something different they are going to have to figure out a way to do it and decide what they want and how they want it. Growing pains are always hard.

Yeah after that '08 election we completely stopped meddling in the Middle East.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #20636
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Yeah after that '08 election we completely stopped meddling in the Middle East.

That's a completely different direction than full on war don't you think? In no way are totally stepping aside or trying to be isolationists (Well the Paul's are), but that policy fails fast. Of course we are there@ We have a lot invested there financially as well as intelligence. We stand to lose a lot by just taking the ball and going home. But there is no way we should be dictating what is going on over there. The phrase "work smarter, not harder" applies.

Like Steam?

Old 08-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #20637
molson
General Manager

Quote:

I would think that except for the calculated "red line" speech he gave. It seems like the Syrians tested the waters after that, and with no response, military or otherwise, they've increased the intensity of the attacks. Obama tried to use his words as a deterrent, but his bluff was called. That was not a speech of a guy who was planning to stand on the sidelines and see what happens.

Last edited by molson : 08-23-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #20638
Edward64
Head Coach

There are 3 general groups in the civil war (1) Assad regime (2) Muslim extremists e.g. AQ like (3) anti-Assad secular/moderates.

We should be supporting (3) and in worse case, settle for (1). Considering the lack of news on (3), I suspect that (3) is not doing well. And is (3) even a "trusted partner" (no)? Therefore (1) is better than (2).

Easy to say and obviously the situation is more complex and muddy.

Lack of strong US direction here (or at least so far), I think Obama is okay with just settling for a long drawn out civil war of Muslim vs. Muslim - to keep the Muslim extremists distracted (yay), Israel out of the news, Saudi vs. Iran/Syria (unexpected bonus).

Hopefully Israel and Fatah will take this news breather to negotiate a compromise.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:21 AM   #20639
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I would think that except for the calculated "red line" speech he gave. It seems like the Syrians tested the waters after that, and with no response, military or otherwise, they've increased the intensity of the attacks. Obama tried to use his words as a deterrent, but his bluff was called. That was not a speech of a guy who was planning to stand on the sidelines and see what happens.

Do we really know if the gas attack wasn't AQ guys working on a dispersal system for a larger attack elsewhere? Do we know what chemical was used? Both sides point fingers, but the waters are so muddy you can't see who is who. At this point you can't take anything off the table. I really don't think we need to take a leap before you look mentality again. We tried that, and it didn't work so well.

Obama is really waiting for a general international consensus on the matter. Essentially, the US tried to be the international leader. Tried to strike out on an ideological campaign and even in the areas where we were supported the most, we were criticized and lost tons of international value. Once bit, twice shy.

The US isn't the only one with a dog in this fight. Why are we being pressed to take the reigns again? We are trying to give voices to the other people of the world, but they just aren't stepping up yet.

Like Steam?

Old 08-24-2013, 09:01 AM   #20640
Edward64
Head Coach

Kosovo, forgot about that. Wonder what their view of US is?

Air War in Kosovo Seen as Precedent in Possible Response to Syria Chemical Attack - NYTimes.com
Quote:
WASHINGTON — As President Obama weighs options for responding to a suspected chemical weapons attack in Syria, his national security aides are studying the NATO air war in Kosovo as a possible blueprint for acting without a mandate from the United Nations.

With Russia still likely to veto any military action in the Security Council, the president appears to be wrestling with whether to bypass the United Nations, although he warned that doing so would require a robust international coalition and legal justification.

“If the U.S. goes in and attacks another country without a U.N. mandate and without clear evidence that can be presented, then there are questions in terms of whether international law supports it, do we have the coalition to make it work?” Mr. Obama said on Friday to CNN, in his first public comments after the deadly attack on Wednesday.
:
Mr. Obama was meeting on Saturday morning with his national security staff to discuss Syria, according to a White House official, having returned from a two-day bus tour of upstate New York and Pennsylvania.
:
Kosovo is an obvious precedent for Mr. Obama because, as in Syria, civilians were killed and Russia had longstanding ties to the government authorities accused of the abuses. In 1999, President Bill Clinton used the endorsement of NATO and the rationale of protecting a vulnerable population to justify 78 days of airstrikes.

A senior administration official said the Kosovo precedent was one of many subjects discussed in continuing White House meetings on the crisis in Syria. Officials are also debating whether a military strike would have unintended consequences, destabilize neighbors like Lebanon, or lead to even greater flows of refugees into Jordan, Turkey and Egypt.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #20641
Edward64
Head Coach

Easy enough to find. This must be the only Muslim country that really like us!

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...llner0831.html
Quote:
In all my travels, I have never experienced so much pro-American sentiment. American flags were displayed throughout the city on government buildings next to the new blue-and-yellow flag of Kosovo. A replica of the Statue of Liberty sat atop the Hotel Victory. I even saw "Thank you USA" T-shirts for sale in souvenir shops.

I ate lunch at a restaurant on Bill Clinton Boulevard called the Route 66 Diner. It was decorated with pictures of American movie stars. Next door was a women's-clothing store called the Hillary Boutique. I wondered if it was named after that Hillary.

Last edited by Edward64 : 08-24-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #20642
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

This always goes through my mind at some point in situations like this.

If we were in the middle of a civil war, what would we think of other nations questioning our choices about how to prevent a violent overthrow?

(Yes, I'm aware of the various historical precedents, I'm just thinking aloud here)

Is there anyone who really believes that if, let's say an armed militia (and leave its political ideology out of it, seems irrelevant here) were actively engaged in an attempt to unseat the U.S. government by something other than the election process that the government would refuse to use every means at its disposal to remain in power?

Seriously, does anyone actually believe that?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:43 AM   #20643
molson
General Manager

Quote:
The US isn't the only one with a dog in this fight. Why are we being pressed to take the reigns again? We are trying to give voices to the other people of the world, but they just aren't stepping up yet.

Because Obama gives speeches saying that the U.S. is going to take the reigns again.

Maybe he doesn't want to get involved yet because he's not 100% sure who gassed who (though I tend to doubt the U.S. doesn't know exactly what's going on), but my point is, the tone of the speech was not one from the leader of a country who is looking to take a supporting role, or who is looking for others to step up.

Last edited by molson : 08-24-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #20644
Edward64
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seriously, does anyone actually believe that?

Nope. We would use means that would be condemned by other countries. Fortunately we are still #1 militarily.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #20645
Edward64
Head Coach

Something is going to happen. The French have the Foreign Legion to manage backlash if there are casulties.

France says ‘proportionate response’ brewing after Syria chemical arms attack - The Washington Post
Quote:
PARIS — The French foreign minister says there will be a “proportionate response” to the alleged chemical weapons attack in a Damascus suburb that he blamed on Syria’s government.

“It will be negotiated in coming days,” Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius told Europe 1 radio on Monday. Fabius acknowledged that the lack of a U.N. blessing was problematic. “All the options are open. The only option that I can’t imagine would be to do nothing.”

Key U.S. lawmakers: Expect strike in Syria – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Quote:
Washington (CNN) – Two key members of congressional foreign affairs panels say they expect the United States to strike Syria following reports of chemical weapons attacks in that country last week, though other lawmakers interviewed Sunday cautioned that unilateral action would be misguided.

"I think we will respond in a surgical way and I hope the president, as soon as we get back to Washington, will ask for authorization from Congress to do something in a very surgical and proportional way. Something that gets their attention, that causes them to understand that we are not going to put up with that kind of activity," Sen. Bob Corker of Tennessee, the top Republican on the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on "Fox News Sunday."
Old 08-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #20646
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

The complaints about the lunch situation in schools is honestly ridiculous.

The Harlan Daily Enterprise - School lunches creating a stir

With leaders like this lady, it's a wonder anything gets done.

Quote:
Whether it is free breakfast, lunch, supper, or just something to drink, children are becoming increasingly dissatisfied and parents increasingly frustrated.

“They say it tastes like vomit,” board member Myra Mosley said — and repeated — when the issue of school milk was raised.

Myra, I have two kids. They say stupid sh#t to draw a reaction. Don't use their comments as a justification. There's a reason your state is one of the fattest in the nation.

FWIW.....I have a first grader and have gone to eat with her on multiple occasions. While they do get a certain amount of protein and carbs, they get unlimited fruit, veggies and salad bar. When I eat at school, I get full in a hurry. There's no shortage of food for these kids and it's honestly far better quality than anything I ever ate in school.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 08-27-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #20647
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

Myra, I have two kids. They say stupid sh#t to draw a reaction. Don't use their comments as a justification. There's a reason your state is one of the fattest in the nation.

FWIW.....I have a first grader and have gone to eat with her on multiple occasions. While they do get a certain amount of protein and carbs, they get unlimited fruit, veggies and salad bar. When I eat at school, I get full in a hurry. There's no shortage of food for these kids and it's honestly far better quality than anything I ever ate in school.

Kentucky students to first lady Michelle Obama: Your food ‘tastes like vomit’ - Yahoo! News
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #20648
Galaxy
Coordinator

If the U.S. intervenes in Syria, will oil prices skyrocket?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #20649
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post

The whole school lunch thing has been one of the most annoying social justice crusades I've seen in a long time. It's the perfect mix of overbearing parents with pseudo-scientific health nuts. I feel bad for anyone on any school board who has to deal with this.

The one funny thing I see in this is how many people assume kids will just eat whatever you put out there. All this talk about throwing a bunch of steamed veggies on their plate and watching them chow down is laughable to anyone with a kid. Not saying that schools should cater to every bad eating habit around, but kids are fickle eaters.

Schools are definitely way better than I remember them. And even better than what our parents got. My only real gripe is with schools flooding themselves with pop machines and fast food restaurants. I was blown away by how many schools now have Pizza Huts and other joints inside. As well as how many elementary and junior highs that have deals with soda companies. I'd much rather the focus be on getting rid of those and forcing kids to *gasp* drink water for a few hours a day.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 02:15 PM   #20650
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Six score and five months ago, I found myself wondering why in the world we would want to invade Iraq. And why Congress seemed almost 100% in favor of engaging in this folly.

Congress seems to have learned its lesson, at least on this issue. Why hasn't Obama? This needs to come to a vote.

We rightfully faulted Bush 43 for his ill-considered ego rampage when handed the keys to the family fleet of B-52s. Now we're going to lob missiles at Syria in support of groups who are never going to be on our side in anything?

It's certainly terrible what's going on in Syria. Beyond terrible. But the only thing guaranteed to be more terrible than civil war is intervening in someone else's civil war.

I realize Obama's ego will take a beating if he has to back down from the "red line" comments. He needs to stop massaging his ego and learn from his predecessor's mistakes. Both are/were neophytes when it comes to global aggression, and irrational and aggressive behavior, with no real end-game in mind, comes at a huge cost.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote