Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-14-2014, 01:36 AM   #20501
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
I'm floored that German is so prevalent.

Lots of Amish maybe?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:05 AM   #20502
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:

why, we all know a little German
Old 05-14-2014, 06:52 AM   #20503
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I've lived in Ohio and Kentucky for all forty-two years of my life and I've never heard anyone speak German.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:09 AM   #20504
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger View Post
why, we all know a little German

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:11 AM   #20505
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
When I started Kindergarten, that was when the first big wave of refugees from Southeast Asia started arriving in Fort Worth. The parish my Catholic school was part of had the only Vietnamese priest in the diocese, so a lot of the refugees were enrolled in my school. My teacher was an old Irish nun. Out of the 18 kids in the class, only 6 spoke English. There were 5 Vietnamese kids, 4 Cambodian and 4 Laotian. Only one of that group spoke any English.

The teacher figured out an interesting way to get everyone to understand. The common language for the Vietnamese, Cambodian and Laotian kids was French. So she would tell us something in English, then the one kid the understood told the rest of them in French, then they would break up into their groups and speak in Laotian, Vietnamese, and Cambodian. Strange, but it worked well. And since this was Kindergarten, none of us realized this wasn't how things were normally done.

By the time we were in 1st grade, all of the kids spoke English, and one of them ended up being Salutatorian of our high school class.
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:40 AM   #20506
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I still love this kind of stuff. I do recall that at least here in the West, most applications for small business licenses are in only three languages: English, Spanish and Vietnamese.

I have first-hand experience with the Portuguese (Porgees) communities in coastal New England. In Minnesota, I knew about the Somali communities but not Hmongs.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 AM   #20507
britrock88
Pro Starter

And Tagalog is the native language of the Philippines.

Oy, missed the new page. Nevermind me.

Last edited by britrock88 : 05-14-2014 at 08:53 AM.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:56 AM   #20508
britrock88
Pro Starter

Amish aren't the reason North Dakota has German as its #2 language. German is basically the default #2 because seemingly 90 percent of North Dakotans are descendants of Germans and Norwegians who immigrated 125 years ago, and no other ethnic group bothers with a state this frigid and boring. :|

Thought for a second that a Native American language could have taken 2nd, though.

(Seriously, I am surprised and delighted every time I see a black person.)

Last edited by britrock88 : 05-14-2014 at 08:56 AM.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #20509
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
When I started Kindergarten, that was when the first big wave of refugees from Southeast Asia started arriving in Fort Worth.
I grew up in the shadows of Fort Benning with a fair number of Koreans, Cambodians, and Vietnamese kids. That, combined with this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabotai View Post
...probably helps explain why I've vaguely wondered for the last 8 years since moving here why I've run into so few Asians in the Lowcountry. Looks like perhaps it's not that there are "so few" here, but that Georgia had an unusually high percentage.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:59 AM   #20510
Blackadar
Retired

You'd get shot speaking French in Redneckville NC and SC
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:09 AM   #20511
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post

Old 05-14-2014, 10:14 AM   #20512
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
Looks like perhaps it's not that there are "so few" here, but that Georgia had an unusually high percentage.

Mostly this, I think. Here's county-by-county concentrations of Asian-Americans. I figure that ought to go pretty closely with non-American Asian immigration patterns.

Old 05-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #20513
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post

...probably helps explain why I've vaguely wondered for the last 8 years since moving here why I've run into so few Asians in the Lowcountry. Looks like perhaps it's not that there are "so few" here, but that Georgia had an unusually high percentage.

I think either I moved away from Georgia too long ago, or perhaps it was not as noticeable where I grew up (East Cobb) but I was actually quite surprised about Korean being listed.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 11:11 AM   #20514
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I'm not. Have you ever been to Buford Highway or Gwinnett County?
Old 05-14-2014, 11:18 AM   #20515
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post

Or as Neal Boortz dubbed Chamblee-Tucker Blvd "Chambodia"

I think I first started seeing church signs in Korean in parts of DeKalb County somewhere in the late 80s.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #20516
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
(East Cobb)

Well, East Cobb--especially when we grew up, but even today--ain't exactly what I'd call an accurate representation of the demographics of the state of Georgia.

And yes, I was intimately familiar with the "Chambodia" area. From 1994 to 2001ish, my office was right off of Buford Highway, just inside the Perimeter. A friend from the Columbus days who volunteered with YL DeKalb throughout the 12 years I was there worked nearby all the years the office was there. His family had immigrated from South Korea when he was around 8 years old. Without his guidance and company, I would have skipped out on trying any of the good number of seriously-yummy authentic Asian hole-in-the-wall restaurants in the area out of fear of having no idea what to order and eating who-knows-what.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:46 AM   #20517
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Nope! Didn't make it over to that part of town much! I pretty much was always either around Marietta, downtown Atlanta , north up Hwy 400 into Lake Lanier area or in the Western Suburbs (Six-flags, Carrollton, etc).

Even though I was born in Decatur, I probably didn't go back there for much anything after my doctor moved from there in 1982

Old 05-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #20518
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
I found it is still too soon to ask at a Cambodian restaurant if they serve "Pol Pot Pie"
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #20519
miked
College Starter

East Cobb school districts seem to be among the better ones in the State (if that's where Pope is). Just about every person I know at GT, Emory, CDC (including many Asians) live either in East Cobb, Decatur, or Sandy Springs.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:51 AM   #20520
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Mostly this, I think. Here's county-by-county concentrations of Asian-Americans. I figure that ought to go pretty closely with non-American Asian immigration patterns.

Makes sense. And keep in mind that my grade-school days were right on the heels of the ending of the Vietnam War, and we were still stationing a good number of soldiers in South Korea as well at that time. A fair number of kids I knew were the offspring of American soldiers bringing home Korean or Vietnamese brides. I don't know how that chart classifies "half-Asians," but I'm sure I knew more than my share of them in Columbus.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:59 AM   #20521
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
East Cobb school districts seem to be among the better ones in the State (if that's where Pope is). Just about every person I know at GT, Emory, CDC (including many Asians) live either in East Cobb, Decatur, or Sandy Springs.

Yeah Pope was built I think my senior year of highschool to take away some of the overcrowding from my highschool (Lassiter). My Senior year, we had 3600 students in the school only really built for like 2400 or so.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 PM   #20522
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Nope! Didn't make it over to that part of town much! I pretty much was always either around Marietta, downtown Atlanta , north up Hwy 400 into Lake Lanier area or in the Western Suburbs (Six-flags, Carrollton, etc).

Even though I was born in Decatur, I probably didn't go back there for much anything after my doctor moved from there in 1982

It's funny because I live in Decatur and spend most of my time in either Decatur, Buford Hwy, Poncy Highlands, East Midtown, Downtown, etc. I haven't been to Marietta in years, or up 400, or the western burbs (Heck, I don't go into the eastern burbs much - maybe Tucker and Lilburn every once in a blue moon - I live here for the city, not the burbs )
Old 05-14-2014, 01:48 PM   #20523
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I live here for the city, not the burbs )

That actually might not be a bad way to describe the two primary types of residents (aside from the usual ITP vs OTP description):

Those who live in the area for the city & those who live in the area despite the city.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM   #20524
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
That actually might not be a bad way to describe the two primary types of residents (aside from the usual ITP vs OTP description):

Those who live in the area for the city & those who live in the area despite the city.

Yeah, it's kind of the reason I put it that way .
Old 05-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #20525
StLee
High School Varsity

Quote:

If I ever move to the States with my Korean wife and half-Korean kids, I suppose we should consider Georgia or Virginia instead of my native Louisiana.

Softball in Korea 1 and 2: http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...softball+korea + http://www.operationsports.com/fofc/...ad.php?t=83736
StLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:50 PM   #20526
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartman View Post
I found it is still too soon to ask at a Cambodian restaurant if they serve "Pol Pot Pie"
This needs more love.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:15 PM   #20527
saldana
Pro Starter

i question Italian being 3rd in pennsylvania...none of our cities have major "little italy" areas, and we have a whole region of the state called Pennsylvania Dutch (where they ironically speak german)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:23 PM   #20528
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

If it wasn't for English and Spanish, a lot of you would be speaking German!
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #20529
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i question Italian being 3rd in pennsylvania...none of our cities have major "little italy" areas, and we have a whole region of the state called Pennsylvania Dutch (where they ironically speak german)

South Philly may not be primarily Italian anymore, but not ALL of those Italians wound up in Jersey...
Old 05-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #20530
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Dutch is shortened from Deutsch, which is so dumb.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #20531
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Dutch is shortened from Deutsch, which is so dumb.

it isnt shortened so much as it is a result of when the Amish and Mennonites got here and people asked them where they were from, they answered "Deutchland", which the brilliant Pennsylvanians took to mean they were Dutch.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #20532
cartman
Death Herald

Quote:
it isnt shortened so much as it is a result of when the Amish and Mennonites got here and people asked them where they were from, they answered "Deutchland", which the brilliant Pennsylvanians took to mean they were Dutch.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:23 PM   #20533
Toddzilla
Pro Starter

No, whats dumb is calling yourself Dutch when you're from a place called The Netherlands.
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #20534
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Olde German is scary when you're the only "modern" on a bus full of the stinky Amish.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:04 PM   #20535
cartman
Death Herald

You say in German: "I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you."
It sounds like: "I'm going to cut you open and eat your entrails"

You say in French: "I'm going to cut you open and eat your entrails."
It sounds like: "I love you and want to spend the rest of my life with you."
Old 05-14-2014, 07:56 PM   #20536
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

haha
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #20537
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

I doubt that German is the next language for Wisconsin. It's gotta be Hmong.

edit: after searching, the most recent finding I could see for the language thing was 2000. There has been a 50% increase in hmong population since 2000. 1% of German speakers in 2000 and .6% were Hmong. With the 50% increase in population and likely miniscule for German, I gotta think it's close for Hmong to be over 1%. But I don't really give a dang.

Last edited by mauchow : 05-14-2014 at 08:22 PM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:25 PM   #20538
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post

edit: after searching, the most recent finding I could see for the language thing was 2000. There has been a 50% increase in hmong population since 2000. 1% of German speakers in 2000 and .6% were Hmong. With the 50% increase in population and likely miniscule for German, I gotta think it's close for Hmong to be over 1%. But I don't really give a dang.

Play around with this map perhaps (if you haven't already). Appears to include data from not only the 2000 Census but also the subsequent ACS where available through 2009. Looks like the difference in WI is a few counties with relatively tons of Hmong speakers but lots of counties recording zero. German meanwhile is fairly stable in with smaller numbers from one county the next & looks like it had speakers in virtually every county.
http://arcgis.mla.org/mla/default.aspx
Old 05-14-2014, 08:48 PM   #20539
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
No, whats dumb is calling yourself Dutch when you're from a place called The Netherlands.

Well the Dutch existed well before The Netherlands existed.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:34 PM   #20540
sabotai
General Manager

Quote:

I think this is probably an urban legend. A few centuries ago, people in England used the word "Dutch" to refer to all Germanic people on mainland Europe and it gradually shifted to refer to just their closest trade rivals (The Netherlands), which happened in the 17th century.

Online Etymology Dictionary

Quote:
Sense narrowed to "of the Netherlands" in 17c., after they became a united, independent state and the focus of English attention and rivalry. In Holland, Duits (formerly duitsch) is used of the people of Germany. The Middle English sense survives in Pennsylvania Dutch, name of the people who immigrated from the Rhineland and Switzerland.
sabotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #20541
Bobble
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Olde German is scary when you're the only "modern" on a bus full of the stinky Amish.

The call us "English". Don't you watch Amish Mafia?

Plus, good luck getting your barn raised with that attitude!
Bobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:24 AM   #20542
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauchow View Post

I'm guessing the German is more frequent among the elderly. My 90 year old grandmother spoke German until she learned English when she went to school. She wasn't fresh off the boat from Germany, she is third or fourth generation American. A decent amount of people aged 70+ speak German.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #20543
Kodos
Resident Alien

Not sure where to put this, so here it is:

Old 05-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #20544
Alf
Pro Starter

Quote:

Same with french... 12 satts with French as 3rd language. I never expected that.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:12 PM   #20545
OldGiants
College Benchwarmer

Why isn't New York Yiddish? That's the only other language I ever spoke in NYC.
"The case of Great Britain is the most astonishing in this matter of inequality of rights in world soccer championships. The way they explained it to me as a child, God is one but He's three: Father, Son and Holy Ghost. I could never understand it. And I still don't understand why Great Britain is one but she's four....while [others] continue to be no more than one despite the diverse nationalities that make them up." Eduardo Galeano, SOCCER IN SUN AND SHADOW
OldGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:14 PM   #20546
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Not sure where to put this, so here it is:

I hope that dog had it's head blown off

Edit:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/we...k-9373043.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Bakersfield police said the attacking dog, identified as an 8-month-old Labrador-Chow mix, had been surrendered by its owner's family after the Tuesday afternoon attack and was in quarantine and would ultimately be euthanized.
Police spokesman Sergeant Joseph Grubbs said the dog's owners, who live in the same neighborhood as the boy, said the dog did not like children or bicycles. He did not identify the owner by name.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 05-15-2014 at 03:18 PM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:21 PM   #20547
Logan
Head Coach

I played that video for our two cats yesterday and explained my expectations for them.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:32 PM   #20548
azjoe_02
High School JV

Quote:

It is jaw dropping to me that Spanish isn't the 2nd most spoken language in AZ.
azjoe_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:35 PM   #20549
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjoe_02 View Post
It is jaw dropping to me that Spanish isn't the 2nd most spoken language in AZ.

Take a second look at the picture
Old 05-15-2014, 09:04 PM   #20550
bhlloy
Coordinator

If we're considering "Chinese" a language that encompasses all the dialects, I can't believe it's not ahead of Tagalog in CA - suspect there must be some kind of sampling bias going on (that the families that tend to speak Chinese at home don't answer these kinds of surveys or show up on census as much as third or fourth generation Filipino-Americans)

Also - German in a lot of those states is pretty damn surprising.

EDIT - just for the lack of Asian languages given the rate of immigration in the US over the past 5-10 years, I'd either guess this thing is old, or it's using some sort of funky methodology.

Last edited by bhlloy : 05-15-2014 at 09:07 PM.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote