Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #2001
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
can we all just say Darcy Tucker is a pansy, and leave it at that?
oh wait, we ALL agree that Wade Belak sucks, right?

Can we add Aki Berg to that list?

On a side note... I wast watching Sportnet today and they said they sent Carlo down, one of the reasons they listed was that the Leafs are afriad they'd loose Belak or Berg if they put them on waivers? Seriously... who the fuck would want them?
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:10 PM   #2002
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
can we all just say Darcy Tucker is a pansy, and leave it at that?
oh wait, we ALL agree that Wade Belak sucks, right?

Disagree on tucks
STRONGLY AGREE ON BELAK!!!!!
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #2003
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs
No, it was someone else. Probably one of those puppy-kicking Red Wing fans. But both points of view are pretty common, and I'm always kind of amused by the stereotypes of Leaf fans that seem to contradict each other.

On the one hand, we complain about everything. On the other hand, we do cartwheels over even the smallest victory.

On the one hand, we brutally turn on our players and tear them apart. On the other hand, we think all our players walk on water.

On the one hand, we delude ourselves into thinking we're going to win the Cup every year. On the other hand, we're so damn pessimistic and depressing to be around.

On the one hand, we're fickle morons for hopping on and off the bandwagon over every little development. On the other hand, we're hopeless idiots for being the only fans in the league that sell out the building every night no matter how well the team does.

On the one hand, our team never wins the Stanley Cup. On the other hand... um, actually, forget that one.

Still, couldn't all the Leaf-haters get together and at least get on message?

I don't hate the Leafs. In fact, I actually kind of like them. If there is no Wings game on the Centre Ice Package and the Leafs are on, odds are I will watch the Leafs' game.

I grew up watching HNiC every Saturday and, given the stong pro-Leafs bias, it's hard not to like them on some level. They're almost always an entertaining team to watch and there is usually some drama going on. I like that. The only time I ever really hated the Leafs was after that horrible Nikolai Borchevsky goal. I got over that pretty quickly though. I still hate Borchevsky. The little punk-ass bitch.

I even like Leafs' fans, but that's probably just because my exposure is limited to you fellas here. In fact, next to Avs' fans (local company of excluded of course, beacuse DD is cool), Wings' fans tend to annoy me more than any fans of any team.

Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #2004
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

heck, I don't hate the Leafs either, especially as long as they have Sundin. then again, I also like Detroit and, to a lesser extent, Vancouver, so I'm not sure I'm really normal.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:24 PM   #2005
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Canadian
Can we add Aki Berg to that list?

On a side note... I wast watching Sportnet today and they said they sent Carlo down, one of the reasons they listed was that the Leafs are afriad they'd loose Belak or Berg if they put them on waivers? Seriously... who the fuck would want them?

I would want no part of either. However, you could easily find a quorum of Wings fans that would be clamouring for Holland to pick up Belak, just like they clamouring for Holland to pick up Oliwa when he was waved. They are panicked about the Wings lack of a "goon". They want a tough guy so badly they have lost all sense of reason. There is a large contingent of these people. Nevermind the fact that the Wings really haven't had a legitimate "goon" for years (McCarty is tough and will throw 'em down, but he's not really a goon) and that they are slowly (much to my chagrin) being phased out of the league. It just doesn't make sense to spend precious cap space on a goon who can't do anything but drop the gloves.

That said, I am happy to see Derek Boogaard in the league. He plays for the Wild. He's a big, massive, slow-skating fella who loves to fight. I saw him in a rookie tournament back in '00 or '01. He had a guy lined up on the boards and made a run for him. The defensemen got rid of the puck at the last minute, ducked, and Boogaard smashed through the glass and went head over heels over the boards and out of the rink. It was amazing.

I think Ottawa's McGrattan played in that that tournament too. He was a tryout for the Wings and got suspended for one of the games for attempting to be-head some guy with under a minute left in the game.

It wasn't all goons. In '01 they had Heatly, Kovalchuk, and Datsyuk in the tourney.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-11-2005, 01:27 PM   #2006
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
heck, I don't hate the Leafs either, especially as long as they have Sundin. then again, I also like Detroit and, to a lesser extent, Vancouver, so I'm not sure I'm really normal.

As an Avs' fan, no. You are not really normal.

Even my hatred for the Avs has begun to fade... Make no mistake, they are still my most hated team, but it's by default at the moment. No one has stepped up to take their place. But, that said, gone are the likes of Lemieux, Roy, Foote, Forsberg, etc. I've always really liked Joe Sakic. I like Konowalchuk. I have nothing against Rob Blake. Tanguay and Hejduk do nothing for me either way. It's just not the same anymore...
Old 11-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #2007
klayman
College Benchwarmer

I hate the leafs.

but ML is still a cool guy. Sometimes.
klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #2008
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I hate that I no longer have affinity, nor aversion, to any team(s) in the league. Stupid decade without a hometown team
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 03:29 PM   #2009
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

See? One the one hand, klayman thinks I'm a cool guy. On the other hand, my wife thinks I'm an idiot. Leaf fans can't win!
Old 11-11-2005, 06:09 PM   #2010
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:

Well I'm a Leafs fan... and I really like the Habs...
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:29 PM   #2011
Booj
High School JV

I'm a Habs fan and I like to hate the Leafs, but that is just because my dad is a Leaf fan, so it is more of a family-thing than a Habs- Leafs thing.
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:43 AM   #2012
Karim
College Starter

I'm from Alberta so it's against my religion to like the Leafs.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 06:58 AM   #2013
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

interesting Leafs game last night.

Connolly with the ever popular 1 on 4 breakaway last night to get the game winner.
and I think they need to look into leg chains or something for Belfour to keep him in the net.
Old 11-12-2005, 11:43 AM   #2014
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

I saw that goal on Sportscenter, flipping through the stations. It was impressive in that he was the only guy on the breakaway. But they were making a big deal about it being 4 on 1 which really wasn't the case because two of the Leafs were just standing there as he blew by so he really only beat 2.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 12:53 PM   #2015
NoSkillz
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
interesting Leafs game last night.

Connolly with the ever popular 1 on 4 breakaway last night to get the game winner.
and I think they need to look into leg chains or something for Belfour to keep him in the net.

Ah, it's only the Leafs...we beat those guys all the damn time anyway!

Unfortunately, the Sabres run right into a fresh and waiting Senators team tonight. It likely won't be pretty........
NoSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #2016
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
But they were making a big deal about it being 4 on 1 which really wasn't the case because two of the Leafs were just standing there as he blew by so he really only beat 2.

They still count even if they have no heart and are making no effort to stop the other team.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #2017
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
I saw that goal on Sportscenter, flipping through the stations. It was impressive in that he was the only guy on the breakaway. But they were making a big deal about it being 4 on 1 which really wasn't the case because two of the Leafs were just standing there as he blew by so he really only beat 2.
Right, and one of those two as Aki Berg, who actually counts as a negative. So it was the equivalent of a 2-on-1 for the Sabres.
Old 11-12-2005, 03:26 PM   #2018
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Sean Avery gets fined for diving... Avery just keeps maing it eaiser for me to hate him. Keep up the good work.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-12-2005, 03:49 PM   #2019
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Sean Avery gets fined for diving... Avery just keeps maing it eaiser for me to hate him. Keep up the good work.

That player is a real bitch. He ranks right up there with Darcy Tucker on the hate meter.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 04:10 PM   #2020
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
That player is a real bitch. He ranks right up there with Darcy Tucker on the hate meter.

and, like Tucker, I really liked Avery when he first came into the league, and I think they contribute a lot to their teams.

but they really need to be bitchslapped repeatedly.
Old 11-12-2005, 05:43 PM   #2021
Schmidty
Coordinator

Quote:

I loved him back when he was with the Wings, so I guess I still have a little soft spot for him. I don't like diving and such, but I think instigators and "bad guys" add spice to the game. As much as I hate Claude Lemieux, the Wings-Avs rivaly wouldn't have been as intense and exciting if it wasn't for his asshatery.

Guys like Avery make the game more colorful.
Old 11-13-2005, 12:06 AM   #2022
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Zubov and Jokinen win a shootout for Dallas again. A couple of sick goals.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 09:27 AM   #2023
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty
I loved him back when he was with the Wings, so I guess I still have a little soft spot for him. I don't like diving and such, but I think instigators and "bad guys" add spice to the game. As much as I hate Claude Lemieux, the Wings-Avs rivaly wouldn't have been as intense and exciting if it wasn't for his asshatery.

I can tolerate the diving and instigating by themselves... it's just with Avery it's added apon a person who regularly talks out of his ass. Ass Talking + Diving = I hate you!
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #2024
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

I agree. The game of hockey just wouldn't be the same without "pests." They really are quite colorful and are great for sparking controversy and adding that "dramatic" element to a game. You love 'em if they are one of yours and despise them if they aren't.

Avery is an ass. There is no question about this. I saw him at a Wings prospect tourney where he got his free agent tryout. I remember reading about an incident in juniors where a player attacked another player with his stick and was banned for life from the league for the incident. I was reading up on prospects playing at the tourney and it turned out Avery was the instigator of the mele that led to the lifetime suspension. Based on this, I figured Avery was a guy to watch. During the tournament it was pretty clear what he was all about and that he was good enough at it (and had enough skill too) to make the NHL
Old 11-15-2005, 05:31 PM   #2025
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Unbelieveable.....CBJ picks up Sergei Federov and a 5th Round Pick for Tyler Wright and Francois Beachemin.

Wow....i'm still in shock over here, MacLean manages to get his first line center for pratically peanuts. I know Federov has a nice salary, but we have the cap room to do it, that's what is amazing.
TurnerONU22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #2026
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22
Unbelieveable.....CBJ picks up Sergei Federov and a 5th Round Pick for Tyler Wright and Francois Beachemin.

Wow....i'm still in shock over here, MacLean manages to get his first line center for pratically peanuts. I know Federov has a nice salary, but we have the cap room to do it, that's what is amazing.

can't quite get my brain around what Anaheim is doing there, unless it's to dump salary.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #2027
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
can't quite get my brain around what Anaheim is doing there, unless it's to dump salary.

That's all I can think either. One thing that this does is get another Russian on the team that can help Zherdev out some. With Svitov staying in Russia this year, Nik seemed alone out there until the team got him a translator that was a former Russian NHLer. Now, he has someone on the team he can communicate with and through.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:42 PM   #2028
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

btw, anyone know of a site that lists player salaries and team payrolls? that info was easy to find in the offseason, but all seems to have disappeared.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #2029
TurnerONU22
High School Varsity

Quote:
btw, anyone know of a site that lists player salaries and team payrolls? that info was easy to find in the offseason, but all seems to have disappeared.

If you go to the NHL section of tsn.ca, they have the depth charts and salaries of each team on the right side of the screen.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:48 PM   #2030
Travis
Pro Rookie

Strike one prospective first line center off Kevin Lowe's list. I would have thought the Oilers could have made a sweeter offer than what Columbus gave up, I just certainly hope Lowe is planning on standing still until the trade deadline.
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 06:19 PM   #2031
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerONU22
If you go to the NHL section of tsn.ca, they have the depth charts and salaries of each team on the right side of the screen.

they used to...but I'm not seeing it anymore.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #2032
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. That is quite the salary dump. Welcome back to the Midwest Sergei.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #2033
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Fedorov is not the player he was, but still. Nice move by Columbus.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #2034
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Good trade for both sides... the BJ's get their number one centre and have improved a very bad team, Federov is a question mark but I like him being on a line with Nash when he returns.

The Ducks were going to have difficulty improving their roster with Federov on the books and their overall salary situation, so this solves that problem... according to Hockey Bob over at TSN this frees up $4.5 Mill this year and next... although I'm not sure how since he's making over $6 Mill a season, unless he was due for a major salary cut next season.
LETS GO JAYS!!
Old 11-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #2035
st.cronin
General Manager

Fedorov is probably my favorite non-Bruins player, and certainly the most underrated player of my lifetime.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 PM   #2036
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

Canes get some breaks, still get outplayed (as I saw it), yet claw out a 2-1 win in Ottawa tonight. I'll take it, considering the ass-handing they got the other night from Atlanta. 9-1 in the last 10 is still a damn fine effort considering expectations.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 PM   #2037
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Fedorov is probably my favorite non-Bruins player, and certainly the most underrated player of my lifetime.

Do you mean now, or when he was with the Wings? Because back in his prime, he got a TON of credit for his play.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:08 PM   #2038
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Do you mean now, or when he was with the Wings? Because back in his prime, he got a TON of credit for his play.

But oddly, not a lot of love in Detroit...
Old 11-15-2005, 10:12 PM   #2039
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71

I grew up on the East Coast, but my perception was that Yzerman was a much bigger star, although they were pretty similiar in terms of ability. It seemed like Fedorov got the blame when the Red Wings lost, and Yzerman got the credit when they won.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #2040
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
I grew up on the East Coast, but my perception was that Yzerman was a much bigger star, although they were pretty similiar in terms of ability. It seemed like Fedorov got the blame when the Red Wings lost, and Yzerman got the credit when they won.

I agree with Yzerman being overrated, but Federov underrated? Even as a somewhat distant NHL fan in the late 90's, my perception of him from the media was always as "the guy" in the NHL.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:21 PM   #2041
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Yzerman is a legend in Detroit. He has earned his praise. There is no doubt about that. Sergei, on the other hand, was a bit of an enigma in Detroit. He was often blamed for "taking nights off." The knock on him was that he could take a game over at any time he wanted, but he just didn't want it. His flashy, Anna Kournikova dating ways didn't always go over in good, ole blue collar "Hockeytown." His holdout didn't help either. I don't think it was a fair knock on the guy. I think he tried hard, it just didn't always happen for him. It doesn't always happen for everyone. He always played well in the playoffs. He was a great player. Hell, I named my dog after the guy. Sergei got a bum rap for the most part in Detroit.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:22 PM   #2042
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I agree with Yzerman being overrated.

Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #2043
st.cronin
General Manager

I didn't say Yzerman was overrated. He was a great, great player. I just think Fedorov was his equal.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:25 PM   #2044
Booj
High School JV

Man... The Cardiac Canadiens at it again! Dominate the first two periods for a 3-0 lead, blow it in the third only to win it with 4 seconds left in OT... I need a pacemaker...
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 PM   #2045
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
I agree with Yzerman being overrated, but Federov underrated? Even as a somewhat distant NHL fan in the late 90's, my perception of him from the media was always as "the guy" in the NHL.

Ok. I will allow a retraction of the bolded language and pardon as you were a "somewhat distant NHL fan in the late 90s.

Read and learn:

Steve Gregory Yzerman

Steve Yzerman had all the flashy adjectives applied to him as a young, slick center when he entered the NHL. He could score the beautiful goal and his flair translated into some remarkable statistical seasons. But Yzerman's team, the Detroit Red Wings, had struggled before he arrived, and he didn't set the world on fire during his early years. Since then, though, Yzerman has become the longest serving captain in league history and dedicated himself to an all-around game, finally leading the Wings to the Stanley Cup in 1997 after 42 years of futility. At the age of 16, Yzerman moved to Peterborough to play with the OHL's Petes. He had 91 points in 56 games with Peterborough in his second year, but his numbers weren't the usual stratospheric kind registered by young phenomena in the OHL because of the team concept ingrained in the Petes by Dick Todd, the team's no-nonsense coach. Along with Pat LaFontaine and Sylvain Turgeon, Yzerman was still considered one of the top prospects as his draft year approached. He enriched that reputation with a strong performance on Canada's bronze medal team in the World Junior Championship in 1983.

The year before the 1983 NHL Entry Draft, the Detroit Red Wings were bought by Mike Ilitch, who entrusted general manager Jim Devellano with the job of rebuilding the failing franchise. The Red Wings had the fourth overall pick, and Devellano's first choice was LaFontaine, a hometown boy who would surely revive the interest of the Detroit fans. But LaFontaine was picked third and Devellano selected Yzerman to be the cornerstone of the new Wings.

Still only 18, Yzerman immediately established himself as an impact player with the Red Wings. In his first year, 1983-84, he set Detroit records for goals by a rookie with 39 and for points with 87. He finished second behind goalie Tom Barrasso in the Calder Trophy voting and also made the NHL's All-Rookie Team. He played in the All-Star Game after half a season in the league, making him the youngest player ever to don an All-Star sweater. His success carried over into training camp for the 1984 Canada Cup. Yzerman played so well in the camp that he couldn't be left off the team. Canada won the tournament, though Yzerman missed most of the action due to recurring tonsillitis.

Yzerman continued to record impressive numbers. He had a knack for the pretty goal and began to draw fans back to the beleaguered team. He was named Red Wings captain as a 21-year-old in 1986, the youngest player ever to earn that honor.

Between 1987 and 1993, he never failed to top 100 points, and five times he scored 50 goals or more while winning the Lester B. Pearson Trophy in 1988-89. He set all-time marks for Detroit when he had 65 goals, 90 assists and 155 points in 1988-89, placing third in the league scoring race behind Gretzky and Lemieux, just as he would in voting for the Hart Trophy that season.

In 1994-95, the Wings ended the lockout-shortened season atop the standings, winning the Presidents' Trophy. The team coasted through the first three rounds of the playoffs undefeated on home ice. For the first time in his 11th year in the league, Yzerman was in the Stanley Cup finals. The joy didn't last long. New Jersey's stifling defense shut down Yzerman and the Wings and he had to watch Devils captain Scott Stevens hoist the Stanley Cup after a four-game sweep. Still, after so many seasons of struggling even to make the playoffs, Yzerman was being talked about as the quiet but effective leader of a surging team.

Yzerman's high status was evident when his name began to surface in trade rumors in 1995. The Red Wings were a contending team, four games away from the Cup the previous season, an enviable position for which Yzerman had worked hard and sacrificed years of his career.

In the spring of 1996 the center exacted a measure of revenge on Mike Keenan, the coach who'd left him off those international teams. Yzerman scored a 60-foot goal to eliminate Keenan's St. Louis Blues from the playoffs. Although the Red Wings lost to the Colorado Avalanche in the next round, Yzerman had come into his own as a leader.

Yzerman was a standout player on Team Canada for the 1996 World Cup, scoring an important early round goal against Slovakia to keep the Canadian team on track and notching another in overtime in the first game of the final series against the United States. When Canada fell in the final game, however, Yzerman was once again forced to watch another team celebrate.

In the 1997 playoffs, everything came together for the hard-working captain. He was a solid player at both ends of the ice as Detroit faced the Philadelphia Flyers for the Stanley Cup. In four consecutive games, the Wings were too much for the Flyers. At the end of the final game, Yzerman was the first to embrace goalie Mike Vernon. Moments later, in front of his home fans chanting "Stevie" over and over, Yzerman raised the Cup above his head, the first Red Wing to do so since 1955.

The next season, Yzerman's name was engraved on another award, this time the Conn Smythe Trophy, after the Red Wings repeated as Cup champions. Yzerman was an effective checker and became a player Detroit coach Scotty Bowman could use in all situations. Yzerman's strong play continued over the next two years capturing the Frank J. Selke Trophy in 1999-00 before injuries limited the talented forward to a mere 54 games in 2000-01 and 52 games in 2001-02. Although his regular season was limited in 2001-02, Yzerman was healthy enough to take part in the Wings Stanley Cup run which landed Yzerman the third Stanley Cup ring of his career. An off-season knee operation limited Yzerman to a mere 16 games in 2002-03 and early exit in the post season. His brave efforts landed him the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy.

In 2003-04, the Red Wing captain returned to the lineup and was instrumental in helping his team capture the Presidents' Trophy as the top team during the regular season and would surpass the 1,700 point plateau.

On the international stage, Yzerman has represented his country on numerous occasions, the first being at the 1983 World Junior Championships. In 1984, he played for Canada at the Canada Cup and in 1985, he went on to make his first of three appearances at the Worlds, the other two being in 1989 and 1990. After an appearane at the 1996 World Cup, Yzerman went on to become a two-time olympian, representing his homeland at the 1998 Nagano Olympics and the 2002 Salt Lake City Games - where he helped Canada capture its first gold medal in more than 50 years.

REGULAR SEASON PLAYOFFS
Season Club League GP G A TP PIM +/- GP G A TP PIM
1980-81 Nepean Raiders CJHL 50 38 54 92 44

1981-82 Peterborough Petes OHL 58 21 43 64 65
6 0 1 1 16
1982-83 Peterborough Petes OHL 56 42 49 91 33
4 1 4 5 0
1982-83 Canada WJC-A 7 2 3 5 2

1983-84 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 39 48 87 33 -17 4 3 3 6 0
1984-85 Canada Can-Cup 4 0 0 0 0

1984-85 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 30 59 89 58 -17 3 2 1 3 2
1984-85 Canada WEC-A 10 3 4 7 6

1985-86 Detroit Red Wings NHL 51 14 28 42 16 -24

1986-87 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 31 59 90 43 -1 16 5 13 18 8
1987-88 Detroit Red Wings NHL 64 50 52 102 44 +30 3 1 3 4 6
1988-89 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 65 90 155 61 +17 6 5 5 10 2
1988-89 Canada WEC-A 8 5 7 12 2

1989-90 Detroit Red Wings NHL 79 62 65 127 79 -6

1989-90 Canada WEC-A 10 10 10 20 8

1990-91 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 51 57 108 34 -2 7 3 3 6 4
1991-92 Detroit Red Wings NHL 79 45 58 103 64 +26 11 3 5 8 12
1992-93 Detroit Red Wings NHL 84 58 79 137 44 +33 7 4 3 7 4
1993-94 Detroit Red Wings NHL 58 24 58 82 36 +11 3 1 3 4 0
1994-95 Detroit Red Wings NHL 47 12 26 38 40 +6 15 4 8 12 0
1995-96 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 36 59 95 64 +29 18 8 12 20 4
1996-97 Canada W-Cup 6 2 1 3 0

1996-97 Detroit Red Wings NHL 81 22 63 85 78 +22 20 7 6 13 4
1997-98 Detroit Red Wings NHL 75 24 45 69 46 +3 22 6 18 24 22
1997-98 Canada Olympics 6 1 1 2 10

1998-99 Detroit Red Wings NHL 80 29 45 74 42 +8 10 9 4 13 0
1999-00 Detroit Red Wings NHL 78 35 44 79 34 +28 8 0 4 4 0
2000-01 Detroit Red Wings NHL 54 18 34 52 18 +4 1 0 0 0 0
2001-02 Detroit Red Wings NHL 52 13 35 48 18 +11 23 6 17 23 10
2001-02 Canada Olympics 6 2 4 6 2

2002-03 Detroit Red Wings NHL 16 2 6 8 8 +6 4 0 1 1 2
2003-04 Detroit Red Wings NHL 75 18 33 51 46 +10 11 3 2 5 0
2004-05

2004-05 Canada W-Cup

NHL Totals 1453 678 1043 1721 906
192 70 111 181 80

NHL All-Rookie Team (1984)
Lester B. Pearson Award (1989)
WEC-A All-Star Team (1989, 1990)
Named Best Forward at WEC-A (1990)
Conn Smythe Trophy (1998)
NHL First All-Star Team (2000)
Frank J. Selke Trophy (2000)
Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (2003) Played in NHL All-Star Game (1984, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1997, 2000)
Old 11-15-2005, 10:36 PM   #2046
Johnny93g
College Starter

I would just like to say i dont think Yzerman is underrated in any way....he is one of the best hockey players we will ever see, and i have alot of respect for him. 1 team his whole career. Atleast we beat him in 93
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 10:39 PM   #2047
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

I love Fedorov, but he is not quite Yzerman's equal. Yzerman hit 80 pts 12 times, and topped 100 pts in six consecutive seasons. Fedorov has 5 80 pt seasons and 2 100 pt seasons. Fedorov topped 40 goals once, Yzerman 6 times. Even disregarding any "intangables" like leadership, there is no way you can call them "about equal".

the knock on Fedorov, IMO, had always been that, if other people were around to carry the load, he took it down a notch. and, sure enough, two of his best seasons were his Hart Trophy season of 93-94 and 02-03, both seasons in which Yzerman missed a substantial chunk of time.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:45 PM   #2048
Schmidty
Coordinator

Anyone who thinks Yzerman is overrated is a fool and not a true hockey fan, let alone ignorant about hockey history.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:48 PM   #2049
st.cronin
General Manager

Quote:

the knock on Fedorov, IMO, had always been that, if other people were around to carry the load, he took it down a notch. and, sure enough, two of his best seasons were his Hart Trophy season of 93-94 and 02-03, both seasons in which Yzerman missed a substantial chunk of time.

My opinion is that the people who say that are the people who just count goals and assists and don't recognize the total package that was Fedorov. He actually played defense for a while one year, didn't he? Watching from New England, I only saw them play a few times a year, but I was as impressed with Fedorov as with Yzerman - although I think Yzerman's greatness was easier to comprehend, more obvious.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:50 PM   #2050
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Anyone who thinks Yzerman is overrated is a fool and not a true hockey fan, let alone ignorant about hockey history.

we're generally aiming for discussions that are a bit more mature and civil in this thread.