Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-23-2010, 11:09 PM   #2001
Dutch
"Dutch"

Hmmm, who do I want here? The bad guy Lesnar or the bad guy Velasquez?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #2002
spleen1015
Coordinator

Whoa.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:24 PM   #2003
Dutch
"Dutch"

WHOA!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #2004
JS19
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Whoa.

This comment here is making me pissed I didn't order this fight.
JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:25 PM   #2005
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I guess Brock is going back to the WWE.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #2006
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

That wasn't even close. Lesnar was just manhandled.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:27 PM   #2007
spleen1015
Coordinator

He got into trouble and had no idea what to do.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #2008
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Brock sounds like he stills know how to cut a promo.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:29 PM   #2009
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotMan View Post
I tell you why I am such a huge Brock fan. The Dakota's have their sports stars, but they are few and far between. Here's a guy, a family man, who comes from the same are I do. He is a farm boy, a father, a workhorse. He's a larger than life persona. He has overcome a career threatening illness. I want him to succeed for a long, long time.

I used to follow wrestling, and I thought the word was that he left his wife and kids to sleep with Sable? Not sure I'd call him a family man.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:30 PM   #2010
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Carwin should have beat Brock but the ref didn't stop it during the first like this ref.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #2011
Dutch
"Dutch"

Carwin was getting noticeably gassed during the pummeling and that's why the ref didn't stop the fight.

In any event, I can't help but wonder if Lesnar just came upon UFC at the right time to catch a lull in the action. Cain Velasquez is a beast and an all-around solid heavy weight. He could be on top for a while if he's serious about it.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #2012
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Old 10-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #2013
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Old 10-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #2014
Dutch
"Dutch"

Velasquez will destroy Dos Santos.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM   #2015
saldana
Pro Starter

i cant believe how easily brock got tooled up...i love the fact that the uneducated asses in the crowd booed him during the post fight interview, during which he was nothing but a complete class act and gave cain all the credit in the world for kicking his ass.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #2016
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i cant believe how easily brock got tooled up...i love the fact that the uneducated asses in the crowd booed him during the post fight interview, during which he was nothing but a complete class act and gave cain all the credit in the world for kicking his ass.

Maybe the strong Mexican population in attendence took offense to Lesnar's "After I kick his butt, I'm gonna eat his taco and his burrito" pre-fight comments.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #2017
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

And the UFC suddenly becomes less interesting for me. It's easy enough to shrug off Lesnar losing, it's not as though I live & die with it by any stretch of the imagination, but there's no denying I was considerably more interested in it with him at the top rather than suffering a rather odd looking defeat.

edit to add: Odd as in "what was his 40 time during that prolonged stumble", not odd as in there was anything improper about it or what have you.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-24-2010 at 12:15 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 AM   #2018
Dutch
"Dutch"

I think for a lot of folks, you're right, Lesnar is entertainment. But from a sport perspective, Velasquez is just pure beast. Did you see Velasquez after the fight? He looked like somebody just fucked his sister. He's hardcore. I don't know if that makes for an interesting champion or not, but from a purely competitve standpoint, I'm interested in seeing somebody in the heavyweight division top that. Pretty Boy Dos Santos? Only with a lucky punch...after that? Carwin? Same deal.

This is the heavyweights sequence right now.

Roy Nelson vs Carwin (UFC 125)
Velasquez vs Dos Santos (TBD)

...not as interesting as Lesnar vs Anyone...

Who else is out there? I'm looking forward to seeing what Fabricio Verdum is up to since beating Fedor...and Fedor is still looking for an opponent, I think, but he's nowhere near UFC, that's a shame. Fedor vs Velasquez or Fedor vs Lesnar would be a big draw.

Last edited by Dutch : 10-24-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #2019
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
But from a sport perspective, Velasquez is just pure beast. Did you see Velasquez after the fight? He looked like somebody just fucked his sister. He's hardcore. I don't know if that makes for an interesting champion or not, but from a purely competitve standpoint, I'm interested in seeing somebody in the heavyweight division top that.

Problem is, that description could also be used after a really good bar fight, which isn't something I'd be inclined to pay money to watch either. If there's no hook, you can be a beast all day long but if you can't get people to actually care ...

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-24-2010 at 01:13 AM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:42 AM   #2021
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

There were a couple odd judge scores tonight. For one, how did one judge give Sanchez a 30-26 score? He clearly lost the first round. I wonder if that was te same fight that gave Kampman (sp?) a 29-28 score? He could have beaten Shields but I have no idea what he was thinking.

Question about the Shields fight. Why no interview afterwards? That struck me as odd.

One last parting comment. That was one nasty cut on Lesnar's face. I think the fight would have been stopped because of that at some point. They couldn't get it to stop bleeding during all the time post fight, it definitely wouldn't have stopped between rounds.
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 06:42 AM   #2022
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Went to school with Cain, so its nice to see him win.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 10-24-2010 at 06:43 AM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:42 AM   #2023
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
There were a couple odd judge scores tonight. For one, how did one judge give Sanchez a 30-26 score? He clearly lost the first round. I wonder if that was te same fight that gave Kampman (sp?) a 29-28 score? He could have beaten Shields but I have no idea what he was thinking.

Question about the Shields fight. Why no interview afterwards? That struck me as odd.

One last parting comment. That was one nasty cut on Lesnar's face. I think the fight would have been stopped because of that at some point. They couldn't get it to stop bleeding during all the time post fight, it definitely wouldn't have stopped between rounds.

yeah, but it was below his eye...would never have affected his vision (was very nasty though, i agree)
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:51 AM   #2024
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

most impressive flailing backpeddle to fetal i've seen since grade school.

#offlesnarbandwagon
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:18 AM   #2025
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post

Not a complete surprise as this is what Carwin would have done if he had any cardio. Velasquez put on some weight without losing any speed and that served him well on the ground.

Brock was class afterwards, but he said some sketchy things before and it's hard to go from being despised to loved in one humble interview. Brock is a different breed and I doubt he cares either way. Hopefully he can develop some semblance of a standup game of well round big guys will continue to do this to him.
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:19 AM   #2026
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Old 10-24-2010, 10:20 AM   #2027
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Brock pushes the cop like a complete bad ass and then proceeds to get his ass whooped.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:27 AM   #2029
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noop View Post

That was awesome. We all LOL'd when that happened and I knew an animated gif would pop up quickly.
sovereignstar v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #2030
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post

Brock was class afterwards, but he said some sketchy things before and it's hard to go from being despised to loved in one humble interview. Brock is a different breed and I doubt he cares either way. Hopefully he can develop some semblance of a standup game of well round big guys will continue to do this to him.

I sometimes think it must be in their contracts to talk trash before the fight. It's always trash before, respect afterwards.

I think Velasquez can be a money champion. Just from my perspective, a casual MMA fan who was most interested in Lesnar, I can't wait to see Velasquez fight again. This might work out better for the UFC anyway. Lesnar will still be a draw, he doesn't really "need the belt" (to use a professional wrestling theory), to sell PPVs, where an undefeated champion Velasquez is worth a million times more than he'll be after his 1st loss.

This must be what the heavyweight boxing division was like in 70s. Huge anticipation, great fighters everywhere, can't wait for the next one. Nice job, UFC.

Last edited by molson : 10-24-2010 at 12:21 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM   #2031
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Geez, lets not declare Lesnar dead just yet. He has some serious holes in his game, but if he wants to keep working at this, I think he can easily regain the title within the next 2 years.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:20 PM   #2032
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I know nothing about UFC, but the few people I know who do were saying all along Lesnar didn't stand a chance. Not that he's as overhyped or bad as Kimbo Slice, he's just not at Cain's level yet.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #2033
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Lesnar has always been a physical specimen trying to learn the skills to be an MMA fighter. His unexpected success early on kinda hid that fact for some, that he still has a long way to go to actually be a skilled MMA fighter.

But I don't think he's going anywhere. He'll continue to be in the mix.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2034
Recoil
High School Varsity

It's been a long time coming and I'm glad they finally decided to pull the trigger.

UFC Announcement: UFC and WEC Merger | MMAWeekly.com

Quote:
UFC Announcement: UFC and WEC Merger

UFC president Dana White on Thursday made his major announcement, revealing that the promotion is not yet implementing a UFC Network, but is folding the WEC into the UFC.

“There is no more WEC, those weight classes are rolling into the UFC,” said White. “Those fighters will remain in the UFC.”

And that means all the fighters in the WEC and then some. White confirmed that he intends to fold the promotion’s entire roster into the UFC and that there is enough worldwide demand to continue signing even more fighters than that.

“It’s time, as we continue to grow globally, we’re doing enough fights to fold this thing into the UFC,” he said. “All of these weight classes should be in the UFC. Now, as we continue to grow and go into different markets, we can continue to add weight divisions.”
Recoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #2035
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

UFC and WEC finally merging in January 2011. Welcome to the big show, Jose Aldo.

And for those that haven't heard yet, Carwin backed out of his January 1st fight with Roy Nelson due to elective back surgery.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:44 PM   #2036
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

beaten to the punch!
Old 10-28-2010, 01:48 PM   #2037
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Oh, I see they've already announced that Aldo will be defending his FW title at UFC 125 to replace the Carwin fight ...
Old 10-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #2038
molson
General Manager

Does that mean less MMA on free TV?
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #2039
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Not according to Dana. Versus is still in on the action. So is Spike.

Edit: oops, embedded the wrong video at first

Last edited by sovereignstar v2 : 10-28-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #2040
cthomer5000
Strategy Moderator

Looking forward to the expanded UFC. Should definitely increase the quality of PPVs overall.
cthomer5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:09 PM   #2041
DeToxRox
Head Coach

BREAKING NEWS: MMAjunkie.com has confirmed with UFC sources that an illness has forced Alessio Sakara out of his co-main-event bout with Jorge Rivera. The fight has been scrapped from tonight's card.

Was looking forward to this fight too, damnit.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #2042
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

That crap was for a shot at the MW title? Yikes.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:03 AM   #2043
Dutch
"Dutch"

Agreed.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #2044
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I have to admit I'm pretty jacked for 123 this weekend. I expect Machida to walk through Rampage, but there's still plenty of promise to that fight, and the rest of the card looks pretty stacked.

I'm a Hughes mark, but I just hope we get what I think of as the 'real BJ' rather than whoever the hell showed up for his last couple fights. The rest of the card seems to be stacked with dudes who dropped the torch to some extent, but have obvious talent, like Tyson Griffin and Karo Parisyan (or even Mark Munoz).

Oddly, the fight that keeps jumping out to grab me is Sotiropoulos/Lauzon, as both of those dudes have been ruthless of late, and look motivated to make their marks in that congested 155 class.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:41 PM   #2045
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Don't watch Strikeforce much....

What happened to Herschel Walker? Thought he was on the card for tonight.

Additionally, that first fight tonight sucked beyond belief.

This second fight is starting out a little better at least.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #2047
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Wow, Daley and Henderson follow that up with great knockouts as well.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #2048
PilotMan
Head Coach

So Sonnen get's his suspension cut in half, and now will be eligible to fight in March. Interesting.

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #2049
PilotMan
Head Coach

dola

This seems like pre-fight fodder:

Quote:
“He complained of extreme fatigue, extreme exhaustion and mental fogginess,” testified Czarnecki, who said Sonne’s condition was caused by a low production of testosterone. “We did tests to determine if there was pituitary involvement or a gonad deficiency. A second test showed Sonnen’s pituitary gland functioning normally, therefore he had a gonadal deficiency. … Testosterone is a common treatment for this condition.”

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #2050
sovereignstar v2
hates iowa

Kid Yamamoto joins the UFC and will fight Demetrius Johnson in February at bantamweight.