Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #2001
tarcone
Coordinator

Of all the things we talk about on this board, this video does a pretty darn good job of summing it up.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #2002
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Summing up... the Libertarian viewpoint? Otherwise I'm not sure what "of all things WE talk about this board" necessarily applies to.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #2003
tarcone
Coordinator

Staying out of our pockets and bedrooms. Legal weed.

That sums up about every thread Ive seen on here in the last 15 years.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #2004
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

For the some people that make those arguments in political threads?
Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 PM   #2005
mckerney
Coordinator

Looks like the African-American outreach plan could still use a little tweaking.

mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #2006
Thomkal
Head Coach

I'm sure this will make him more attractive to voters:

Perry joins 'Dancing With The Stars' - POLITICO
Old 08-29-2016, 10:18 PM   #2007
Thomkal
Head Coach

have you seen those ads on Facebook and elsewhere where you could win a dinner with Trump? Turns out its a scammer who formed a super PAC and got a million dollars from it.

Trump campaign demands 'dinner with Trump’ super PAC cease and desist - POLITICO
Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #2008
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Walking past TV in the building lobby this morning, I saw the CNN headline: "Presidential Race Turns Ugly"

Ah, I was wondering when it was going to stop being so sunshine and roses.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:26 AM   #2009
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
have you seen those ads on Facebook and elsewhere where you could win a dinner with Trump? Turns out its a scammer who formed a super PAC and got a million dollars from it.

Trump campaign demands 'dinner with Trump’ super PAC cease and desist - POLITICO

You know, I am surprised that something like this took this long. This guy seems so brazen that he will probably get taken down.

But in a world where SuperPACs can raise money so easily and they are forbidden from coordinating with the campaign, it seems really really easy to start a pro-[whomever] SuperPAC, collect money from gullible strangers, use the money to buy a few ads, and then pay yourself the rest as salary.

The "Win Dinner With Trump" thing is probably a bridge too far. But this might be happening a lot at a lower level.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #2010
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Russian hackers breaking into voter databases seems like something we can't let go without an official response.
Old 08-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #2011
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politi....html?adkey=bn

I follow political news a decent amount, probably moreso than, what, 95+% of the population?

And that said, my first reaction to that headline was "Hmmmm...now which email investigation are we talking about????"

I think at this point, there would have to be something at the level of "glad that nigger can't run for a third term" or "we need to just leave those soldiers out to die" or "heh...can't believe they still think Vince killed himself" for any "email investigation" to make a meaningful difference.

That's not to say that the various aspects haven't brought to light reasons to question her judgement, but at this point it's hard to imagine anything that's not cataclysmic rising above the level of "background noise."

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 08-30-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:13 AM   #2012
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
You know, I am surprised that something like this took this long. This guy seems so brazen that he will probably get taken down.

But in a world where SuperPACs can raise money so easily and they are forbidden from coordinating with the campaign, it seems really really easy to start a pro-[whomever] SuperPAC, collect money from gullible strangers, use the money to buy a few ads, and then pay yourself the rest as salary.

The "Win Dinner With Trump" thing is probably a bridge too far. But this might be happening a lot at a lower level.

I was thinking about this last week. Start a SuperPAC and have some buzz words like 'Freedom' 'Patriot' or others in the name then target old folks on social media and rake in the dough.
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:14 AM   #2013
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben E Lou View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/30/politi....html?adkey=bn

I follow political news a decent amount, probably moreso than, what, 95+% of the population?

And that said, my first reaction to that headline was "Hmmmm...now which email investigation are we talking about????"

I think at this point, there would have to be something at the level of "glad that nigger can't run for a third term" or "we need to just leave those soldiers out to die" or "heh...can't believe they still think Vince killed himself" for any "email investigation" to make a meaningful difference.

That's not to say that the various aspects haven't brought to light reasons to question her judgement, but at this point it's hard to imagine anything that's not cataclysmic rising about the level of "background noise."
Yeah whatever you say BENghazi.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #2014
Ben E Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby View Post
Yeah whatever you say BENghazi.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:18 AM   #2015
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I was thinking about this last week. Start a SuperPAC and have some buzz words like 'Freedom' 'Patriot' or others in the name then target old folks on social media and rake in the dough.

That already happens a lot.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...s-death-214164
Old 08-30-2016, 08:10 PM   #2016
Thomkal
Head Coach

Good to see Michelle Bachmann is still crazy:

Bachmann: God 'raised up' Trump to be GOP nominee - POLITICO
Old 08-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #2017
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Today's last minute visit with the President of Mexico and new immigration plan speech has real potential to be must watch TV.

I wonder if the plan is for the Mexican president to be so "insulting" that Trump then has no choice but to return to a deportation force and physical wall.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:51 AM   #2018
Thomkal
Head Coach

So Trump is giving a big speech on immigration tonight, but before that he's going to Mexico. Yep the President there invited him (and Hillary too) to come and I guess give a speech there. I would have thought this was a joke or something from the Onion, but its real. Have to think this is a last-ditch move to make him look Presidential. A bit of weird timing too, a whole bunch of Hillary's emails and the FBI report came/comes out today. All the media will be likely talking about is negative things Trump said or did in Mexico/in his speech.
Old 08-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #2019
Thomkal
Head Coach

beat me to it JPhillips Apparently, the President of Mexico's approval ratings are very low, so I guess this is a chance for him to appear strong in front of his people and lay into Trump.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:41 AM   #2020
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Good to see Michelle Bachmann is still crazy:

Bachmann: God 'raised up' Trump to be GOP nominee - POLITICO

Just for the unfamiliar, the phrasing there refers to elevated/allowed to elevate to the position, not something like raised from childhood or something. It's not an uncommon phrasing in some evangelical circles.

I've heard it used on occasion about even municipal level officeholders, even a football coach or two, so it's really not that far out there as word choice goes.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 AM   #2021
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Try to ignore the link source for this one, 'cause that's not the point here.
Poll: Unpopular Hillary Clinton Faces Declining Ratings From Hispanics And Women - Breitbart

It's a Washington Post / ABC poll they're referencing, and the .pdf with detailed results is linked right at the top of the article.

While the headline is all about HC's slide, I'm actually pointing out something else. The .pdf notes that while she's sliding, Trump is merely rearranging chairs with his recent (perceived?) "softening" of positions. He's +7 with women but -6 with men. He's basically gaining nothing with that approach, which is a point I've made more than once in this thread.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:51 AM   #2022
Ben E Lou

Heh. Yeah, I missed that one. If she's trying to get evangelicals to vote for Trump, any half-decent politician would want to use "insider" lingo. "God raised him up" is like "hedge of protection" or "traveling mercies" or using "just" multiple times per sentence when praying.

Dear Lord, your servant Donald Trump is heading to Mexico today, and I just ask that you just give traveling mercies to this man that you've raised up to be the Republican nominee. I just pray that you just send your angels to just form a hedge of protection around him.

That prayer by itself will get you a good 25% of the vote in some places.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:08 PM   #2023
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to amend my comment here too, because in a longer discourse elsewhere I actually see a contradiction in my own reasoning.

I was on at some length about how turnout by demographic would dictate the outcome in November. If that's true -- and I believe it is -- then there IS a potential method to Trump's recent madness.

IF she's losing support with women, and IF he's managing to soften their hatred for him, then MAYBE that keeps some of them home. And that helps his chances.

I don't think it helps him as much as maintaining a motivated core, but there's at least a slim chance that he makes the math of the tactic work.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:45 PM   #2024
Ben E Lou

Old 08-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #2025
digamma
Torchbearer

Maybe we should just not let him back in until we figure out what is going on.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #2026
Kodos
Resident Alien

Old 08-31-2016, 02:36 PM   #2027
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

LOL

Old 08-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #2028
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Just for the unfamiliar, the phrasing there refers to elevated/allowed to elevate to the position, not something like raised from childhood or something. It's not an uncommon phrasing in some evangelical circles.

I've heard it used on occasion about even municipal level officeholders, even a football coach or two, so it's really not that far out there as word choice goes.

won't argue over word choice here Jon. Just pointing out Bachmann is still out there saying crazy stuff. Trump is the least "evangelical" Republican candidate I can remember in recent years.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:54 PM   #2029
Easy Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Maybe we should just not let him back in until we figure out what is going on.

I hope his wife didn't go, I hear she has some potential visa issues.
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #2030
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

The Trump surrogates wearing the "Make Mexico Great Again Also" hats are the single most WTF? thing I have seen this campaign.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:13 PM   #2031
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
won't argue over word choice here Jon. Just pointing out Bachmann is still out there saying crazy stuff. Trump is the least "evangelical" Republican candidate I can remember in recent years.

I literally read your post about it the first name without being entirely clear on whether the reference she was making was even clear / to how much of the audience here knew the phrase.

As for his evangelical bent (or lack thereof), you're underestimating how many would consider pretty much anything that opposed Hilary as being Heaven-sent.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:31 PM   #2032
Edward64
Head Coach

Listening to Trump's speech. He's doing much better stylistically. Maybe his new handler really has him under control.
Edward64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 09:34 PM   #2033
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
The Trump surrogates wearing the "Make Mexico Great Again Also" hats are the single most WTF? thing I have seen this campaign.

Obviously should have been "Hacer México Gran Una vez más también."
Old 08-31-2016, 10:00 PM   #2034
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I saw this online and just thought it was a joke someone was making.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:08 PM   #2035
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

More signs that the cracks in the GOP are widening:

House Conservatives Plot Coup Against Speaker Paul Ryan

GOP establishment trounces tea party in congressional primaries - POLITICO
Old 08-31-2016, 10:43 PM   #2036
nol
Banned

Quote:

No, to true evangelicals being Mormon is worse than just pretending to being Christian.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #2037
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post
No, to true evangelicals being Mormon is worse than just pretending to being Christian.

You need to talk to more evangelicals. Sure there are those that feel this way, but there are a lot of others that have different views. In short, there isn't a singular evangelical mindset.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:24 AM   #2038
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nol View Post

Jeez, THIS myth again?

Romney was rejected by more typically (R) voters for being a pseudocon fraud than for anything related to religion.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:02 AM   #2039
Thomkal
Head Coach

Politico's take on Trump's speech. If you don't want to read the whole thing, one important tidbit is that one member of his Hispanic Advisory Council has already resigned, and another sounding like he is on his way. Also Mexico's President has tweeted that he did discuss who would pay for the wall with Trump-which is not what Trump said yesterday.

Trump's immigration rope-a-dope - POLITICO
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 AM   #2040
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I really don't think that's the point. She's trying to get evangelicals who aren't planning to vote for Trump to come on board. Using that phrase helps remind the intended audience of her evangelical street cred, and in part makes a case that might guilt some into a vote. ("Shoot. She's got a point there. He didn't raise up Cruz or Rubio like I'd hoped. Trump might just have the anointing and I can't go against that.")
Old 09-01-2016, 12:11 PM   #2041
nol
Banned

Quote:
You need to talk to more evangelicals. Sure there are those that feel this way, but there are a lot of others that have different views. In short, there isn't a singular evangelical mindset.

I was talking about from a purely religious standpoint (there's more of a chance for someone who could be 'born again' than for someone who has chosen an entirely different faith), but I suppose with evangelical in quotes it's referring to the types who use the term for political purposes but don't actually walk the walk when it comes to faith.

Last edited by nol : 09-01-2016 at 12:15 PM.
nol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:01 PM   #2042
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
I really don't think that's the point. She's trying to get evangelicals who aren't planning to vote for Trump to come on board. Using that phrase helps remind the intended audience of her evangelical street cred, and in part makes a case that might guilt some into a vote. ("Shoot. She's got a point there. He didn't raise up Cruz or Rubio like I'd hoped. Trump might just have the anointing and I can't go against that.")

I don't dispute your point Ben. She is one of Trump's "evangelical advisors" (god help us), so makes sense she'd pump him up that way. But other than when the Pope mentioned him, I'm not sure he's ever talked expansively about religion or his beliefs. Not sure he's led his audiences in a prayer, or had a moment of silence for the victims for the flooding in LA for example.

She is one of the least likely people I would turn to for political or evangelical advice. Sorry if I touched on some nerves here.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #2043
Ben E Lou

Quote:
I don't dispute your point Ben. She is one of Trump's "evangelical advisors" (god help us), so makes sense she'd pump him up that way. But other than when the Pope mentioned him, I'm not sure he's ever talked expansively about religion or his beliefs. Not sure he's led his audiences in a prayer, or had a moment of silence for the victims for the flooding in LA for example.

She is one of the least likely people I would turn to for political or evangelical advice. Sorry if I touched on some nerves here.
You didn't touch on any nerves; I just don't let inaccuracies slide. Your original statement seemed to imply that her using the phrase "God raised him up" somehow indicated that she was crazy. All I'm saying is that there are plenty of reasons to think she is crazy, but pointing to the fact that she knows her audience well isn't exactly one of them.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm missing something. What does the fact that Trump isn't an evangelical have to do with her using evangelical code to get evangelicals to vote for him? As far as I can tell, that doesn't make her crazy; it makes her a politician. HRC talks more Southern when she's in the South, points out the fact that she carries hot sauce with her when she's around black people, and talks about her faith when she's around religious people. That's just good politickin'.

Last edited by Ben E Lou : 09-01-2016 at 02:13 PM.
Ben E Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:11 PM   #2044
Thomkal
Head Coach

true
Old 09-01-2016, 11:29 PM   #2045
mckerney
Coordinator

The founder of Latinos for Trump said that without Trump's immigration plan there will be a taco truck on every corner, making what is perhaps the strongest argument anyone has ever made for electing Hillary Clinton.

Last edited by mckerney : 09-01-2016 at 11:32 PM.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:31 PM   #2046
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

NY Times continues their fine reporting.

NY Times Under Fire After Wildly Inaccurate Piece on Trump Immigration Speech | Mediaite
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #2047
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
The founder of Latinos for Trump said that without Trump's immigration plan there will be a taco truck on every corner, making what is perhaps the strongest argument anyone has ever made for electing Hillary Clinton.

There are 11,485 corners in Manhattan alone. This has the potential to be the single greatest jobs program in American history.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:15 PM   #2048
bhlloy
Coordinator

I am all for taco trucks on every corner but can we at least get a few fusion ones thrown in to provide a little bit of variety?
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #2049
molson
General Manager

A good taco stand/food truck is the greatest. There's one two blocks from me at the end of the street, and it's always there when you don't feel like cooking, or just came back into town. I don't know the immigration status of their workers, but they are certainly contributing great things to America.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:37 PM   #2050
Dutch
"Dutch"

We have taco buses in Tampa. Good stuff, I don't care that they failed their inspection.

Last edited by Dutch : 09-02-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote