Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-12-2008, 08:00 PM   #2001
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Can't tell much about the size of the crowd for TNA's Bound For Glory tonight but they seem pretty into it at least. Even managed to get 'em to face pop & chant and stuff for Creed.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:13 PM   #2002
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My goodness Mongo looks rough.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:24 PM   #2003
Tigercat
College Starter

Mongo looked out of shape 10 years ago, I can't imagine how bad he looks now.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 08:40 PM   #2004
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mongo looks like a large pasty doughboy. They had him slow count several times during the night, finally decided it wasn't a gimmick he just didn't seem to have all the neurons firing in sequence.

At one point (during a no DQ Monster's Ball match) he prevented the use of the bag of thumbtacks. Later, when Hernandez couldn't get the same bag open, Mongo helps him untie it.

Nice to see the Dudleys bust out the flaming tables spot though.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:29 PM   #2005
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Mr Socko !
Old 10-12-2008, 09:55 PM   #2006
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Meh. Sting wins title thanks to a bat shot on Joe by Nash.

It's the reign of the over the hill gang I guess (although I'll give Sting credit for selling for Joe almost all the way, minus a sequence where each no sold the other's use of their opponent's finisher).
Old 10-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #2007
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I can't watch TNA, Nash is a good example why.

There has been so much talk about his contract, if I were TNA I'd be thrilled to be done with the no talented washed up Kevin Nash. Instead, they're probably paying him 2 to 300k to stay. Do they really feel like if he's gone their stagnant ratings are going to drop?
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:04 PM   #2008
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
I can't watch TNA, Nash is a good example why.

There has been so much talk about his contract, if I were TNA I'd be thrilled to be done with the no talented washed up Kevin Nash. Instead, they're probably paying him 2 to 300k to stay. Do they really feel like if he's gone their stagnant ratings are going to drop?

Truth is, it seems the ratings are dropping regardless of who they feature actually. The main events are almost always losing viewers whether it's Joe or Angle or Sting or whomever.

As nutjob as I think he may be, Angle's shoot in the London newspaper was pretty accurate, when he said they ought to be using him & others to elevate Joe, AJ, and the other homegrown talent. For a minute or two tonight I thought they may actually have figured that out ... not.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #2009
Deattribution
College Benchwarmer

I think they're going to wait too long. TNA already dropped the ball with Joe, they can't wait like WWE because they have no stars of their own. Joe should have been put over big when him and Angle first started fueding, now nobody really even cares.

They are never consistent so their base will never build either.
Deattribution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 PM   #2010
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deattribution View Post
I think they're going to wait too long. TNA already dropped the ball with Joe, they can't wait like WWE because they have no stars of their own. Joe should have been put over big when him and Angle first started fueding, now nobody really even cares.

They are never consistent so their base will never build either.

There's an okay supply of guys that ought to be put over.
Styles, Joe, Cage (still viable IMO).

And there's guys who ought to be putting them over.
Sting, Booker, Nash, Jarrett, and ultimately Angle.

Problem is that nobody is authority seems to have enough sense to figure that out
Old 10-12-2008, 11:51 PM   #2011
DeToxRox
Head Coach

I think Christian will be back in the WWE. His deal is up and hes going to be mid cardining TNA. He can go main event for a bit in WWE, and then mid card there, and make a lot more money for doing so.
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #2012
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post
I think Christian will be back in the WWE. His deal is up and hes going to be mid cardining TNA. He can go main event for a bit in WWE, and then mid card there, and make a lot more money for doing so.

I agree, but it will come down to if he wants to go back to the heavy schedule of WWE or stick with TNA's easier one.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:24 AM   #2013
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
I agree, but it will come down to if he wants to go back to the heavy schedule of WWE or stick with TNA's easier one.

+1
Old 10-13-2008, 02:12 PM   #2014
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Just finished up the Bret Hart autobiography, and all I can say is wow. One of the best books I've ever read. Period. It's utterly fascinating and I literally didn't put it down the last 300 pages. I finished it after a three hour marathon session last night.

I suggest anyone who likes wrestling buy this book.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:26 PM   #2015
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I know it's all just a script & it's a work, etc etc but A.J.'s promo on Sting really covers how I feel about the money TNA wastes on the has beens & the way they've decided to bury the guys who should be the backbone of the company.

Probably the mark of a pretty good script & angle I guess.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:42 PM   #2016
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Mike Johnson was saying the feeling is Christian Cage will leave TNA for WWE because he doesn't think he ever was a featured guy there dispite being NWA champ a few times.

He was overlooked I feel like, and is a good worker and great on the mic. I hope he goes back to WWE and on to Smackdown where he can do some work with Edge. I think they can get some mileage out of a feud with those two.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 PM   #2017
molson
General Manager

In case anybody missed it, Lance Cade was fired for OD'ing on a plane and having a seizure. Oops.

At least that's what I gathered from Jim Ross's blog:

"Lance Cade was dismissed from the WWE because, like many humans, he made a major league mistake while utilizing bad judgment that cost him his job. This included Lance having a seizure on an airplane and having to have emergency medial care. Luckily, Lilian Garcia was on the same flight and was instrumental in helping Lance get taken to a hospital where a battery of tests were run that luckily determined that there was nothing seriously wrong with the young man such as a brain tumor, etc."

I never liked him. Just another in the LONG line of bland athletic guys who are reasonably competent in the ring but incredibly uninteresting. Give me a Samoan, or a Giant, or a freak any day.

Last edited by molson : 10-17-2008 at 01:55 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #2018
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Hulk Hogans Celebrity Wrestling is ABSURD. Dustin Diamond proclaimed himself a ring general, and the trainers are Brian Knobbs and Brutus Beefcake.

Beefcake apparently got Nikki Zierdig pregnant while filming the show mind you.

This is all kinds of awesome.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #2019
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Oh God. Dustin Diamon and Frank Stallone are a tag team. Amazing.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:42 PM   #2020
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My son already predicted Hogan's show would be "the biggest trainwreck in the history of television" and that it might be "the end of wrestling as we know it".

When you can't even fool a 10 year old, your chances aren't real good.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:44 PM   #2021
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
My son already predicted Hogan's show would be "the biggest trainwreck in the history of television" and that it might be "the end of wrestling as we know it".

When you can't even fool a 10 year old, your chances aren't real good.

It is so bad that I cannot turn away. Bubba the Love Sponge provides Play by Play. Honestly, you'll laugh so hard at this mess.
Old 10-18-2008, 01:47 PM   #2022
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It is so bad that I cannot turn away. Bubba the Love Sponge provides Play by Play. Honestly, you'll laugh so hard at this mess.

I didn't even know BtLS was involved (although it's no surprise either). I just don't know that I could watch it without wretching. All that's missing seems to be appearances from David Arquette & Chucky.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 10-18-2008 at 01:47 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #2023
Flasch186
Coordinator

Its been a while since Ive even watched RAW for that matter.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 02:23 PM   #2024
saldana
Pro Starter

i have completely stopped watching wrestling and have become absorbed with UFC. nothing that had happened on raw in months was even remotely interesting to me.
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:55 AM   #2025
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gabe Sapolsky has been let go as ROH Booker by Cary Silkin after last nights show in Jersey. Beyond being shocked, I think this is happening because Cary wants to get ROH on TV and has had discussions with a few TV companies, while Gabe apparently hates the idea.

Sadly ROH's market has plateaued and they need a new way of getting people into the product.

Regardless, this is huge.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:56 AM   #2026
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Dola

ROH has been teasing an ROH star returning tomorrow (Monday) and people think it's Low Ki. Gabe and Low Ki hate one another so this could add credence to that.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:15 PM   #2027
saldana
Pro Starter

i thought this was interesting enough that the wrestling fans might find it entertaining.

there was a profile on Brock Lesnar on E:60 earlier in the week...there were two parts of the story that i was stunned to see, but couldnt decide which one was the more stunning:

when lesnar quit the WWE, he walked away from a 6 year, 45 million dollar contract

AND

he is married to sable

Last edited by saldana : 10-26-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:27 PM   #2028
Travis
Pro Rookie

So in a wrestling related note I just got invited to a buddies stag in November where there is apparently mandatory participation to the costumed theme of 80's wrestlers.

Going to be an interesting night indeed.

Already got my Hot Rod shirt and kilt ordered, now just hope it gets here in time.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:52 PM   #2029
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

This was such a waste of a PPV.

Spoiler

Last edited by Noop : 10-26-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Noop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:07 AM   #2030
saldana
Pro Starter

just because I saw the 8 million commercials they were running for it, what was the the giant, earthshattering annoucement that Foley made on TNA Impact last week?
Old 10-27-2008, 11:28 AM   #2031
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
just because I saw the 8 million commercials they were running for it, what was the the giant, earthshattering annoucement that Foley made on TNA Impact last week?

He owns part of TNA.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #2032
DeToxRox
Head Coach

In ROH News, the Observer is reporting that Adam Pearce is going to be the new booker for ROH. The plan would be to book a 70's style show with shorter matches, less crazy spots and more emphasis on a heel/face divide.

Basically, they want him to make ROH a product that can draw TV networks.

Also, Samoa Joe is going to be back in ROH for their next Chicago show.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #2033
Terps
College Prospect

There's no point of Batista having the title, hopefully Jericho gets it back on RAW. If not, I still have Santino to look forward to. Also, just saw this:

Former WWF star S.D. "Special Delivery" Jones (Conrad Efraim) passed away on Sunday at the age of 63. He died after suffering a stroke.

Jones was regularly seen on World Wrestling Federation programming during the 1980s, primarily working as an "enhancement talent." Although, Jones would usually get in a lot of offense and have a competitive match, as opposed to the usual "jobber" match. He lost a number of matches, but managed to pick up few wins every now and then. At WrestleMania 1, he famously lost to King Kong Bundy in twenty-five seconds from bell to pinfall, however the official match time was given as nine seconds. Despite mainly being used as a preliminary talent, Jones garnered further recognition when LJN created an action figure of him for their Wrestling Superstars toy line. He also appeared in the WWF's music video for "Land of a Thousand Dances." Jones was phased out of the WWF in 1990, and he retired the next year.

Following retirement, Jones took a job at the New York Daily News delivering newspapers. Jones's last national television appearance took place in 2006 at the WrestleMania 22 Hall of Fame when he inducted his former tag team partner Tony Atlas into the Hall.

Jones started his wrestling career in 1971, after training under Johnny Rodz. During the 1970s, Jones wrestled in Jim Crockett Promotions and the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA), and won the NWA Americas Tag Team Championship on three occasions.

Credit: 411 Wrestling
Terps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #2034
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

The Main Event Mafia bit is almost certain to follow a fairly predictable formula but truthfully, I've seen a lot worse from TNA.

It's the NWO in reverse but if it's handled properly and patiently, it shouldn't be bad. And by the time tonight's show is over, they'll have done at least two things right with one logical addition to the MEM (which technically they probably should have teased this week & revealed next week but that's a quibble) and one apparent logical face turn to the, well, whatever they're going to call the younger guys.

I know, I'm grasping at straws here but any sign of rational booking from TNA is a step in the right direction.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:51 PM   #2035
finketr
College Prospect

is it wrong that i watch RAW just to see what crazy getup stunning charlie haastin will be in?
finketr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:57 PM   #2036
rjolley
College Starter

I must admit that's pretty much the main reason I flip to Raw from MNF...that and Santino.
rjolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #2037
bulletsponge
Pro Starter

^^^ what? you 2 dont watch RAW for Batista... or as i call him Boretista
bulletsponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #2038
Flasch186
Coordinator

I dont watch it hardly at all BUT

If TNA does this youngsters v. the old guys thatg could be good. The Motor City Machine guns are pretty frickin talented and AJ Styles deserve more credit than he gets. cage is good, I mean, TNA has a good roster so if they can do something compelling, I'd watch.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #2039
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That may have been the oddest segment in the 800 episode history of Raw, at least the oddest that didn't involve Mae Young.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #2040
rjolley
College Starter

Are you talking about the dance number? Who was the guy standing in the middle of the room not really moving?

And why was Mae Young out there earlier. That was just sad...

Last edited by rjolley : 11-03-2008 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:22 PM   #2041
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Who was the guy standing in the middle of the room not really moving?

I'm guessing you mean Festus
(aka Festus Dalton aka Freakin' Deacon aka 2006 Fake Kane aka Drew Hankinson)
Old 11-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #2042
rjolley
College Starter

Ah, probably. Been an on again/off again watcher of wrestling for the past few years. Personally, I liked the factions better. Made the storylines more interesting.
Old 11-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #2043
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjolley View Post
Ah, probably.

Here's a pic (Lord knows I hesitated about putting this up, NSFAD (not safe for after dinner) but at least it isn't Snitsky.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:15 PM   #2044
DeToxRox
Head Coach

So ... TNA spoiler for the PPV .. LOL This is typical TNA if true.

Spoiler
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM   #2045
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

TNA TURNING POINT
SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 9TH, 2008
LIVE AND EXCLUSIVELY ON PAY-PER-VIEW

TNA World Heavyweight Championship Match
Sting (c) vs. AJ Styles

Kevin Nash vs. Samoa Joe

TNA Legends Championship Match
Booker T (c) vs. Christian Cage

Falls Count Anywhere Match
Kurt Angle vs. Abyss

TNA World Tag Team Championship Match
Beer Money, Inc. (c's) vs. The Motor City Machineguns

Non-Title Match
Rhino vs. TNA X Division Champion Sheik Abdul Bashir

TNA Knockouts Champion Awesome Kong & Raisha Saeed vs. Taylor Wilde & Roxxi

X Division Championship Seeding Match
(Will determine top contenders in the division)
To feature: Sonjay Dutt, Eric Young, Jay Lethal, Consequences Creed, Petey Williams, Jimmy Rave, Homicide, Doug Williams, Tanahashi and Volador Jr.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:37 PM   #2046
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

That spoiler DeTox posted wouldn't surprise me one bit.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:06 PM   #2047
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Well, at least the curtain jerker should be fun (X-Division rankings match).
Old 11-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #2048
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

My jaw has officially dropped ... they let Volador show out a little.
edit: And they left both Doug Williams & Tanahashi in through the final four.

Last edited by JonInMiddleGA : 11-09-2008 at 07:23 PM.
JonInMiddleGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:12 PM   #2049
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Gotta' love Scott Hall sittin' in the front row with ICP.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #2050
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Gotta' love Scott Hall sittin' in the front row with ICP.

Actually I don't love it ... but I know what you mean

Meanwhile, y'know, Roode has worked a nice match here. He's not going to get much notice because of his style but he's played his part quite well & really provides a pretty good example of a professional wrestler.