Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-03-2006, 08:42 PM   #2001
RPI-Fan
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVick7
Do you buy new players during the offseason? How many starters do you return each year? It takes time to gel if you bring in numerous new players each season.

Typically I don't buy many new players.

Also, typically, I actually start very WELL after promotion - it's returning from a mid-table season that causes me problems.
Old 06-03-2006, 08:47 PM   #2002
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Hmm...that's usually what the problem is...so I'm not sure what's happening?
Old 06-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #2003
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Then I picked up Robert Huth from Chelsea and feel much better about my backline.

Robert Huth is awesome. I kept bugging Chelsea about him because he wanted first team playing time but he wouldn't sign because I was in the Championship. The moment I got promoted, I offered him a contract and got him on a free. He's an absolute stud that plays almost every game.
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:09 PM   #2004
MJ4H
Coordinator

Yes I struggle with slumps badly. I seem to hit them a lot and just can't pull out of them. Right now my Huddersfield team is one of the favorites for promotion this season and I am in 23rd after 8 games. It is incredibly frustrating. Last season my losing skid was at the end, when I went from solid playoff team to 10th in the last 8 or so games.
MJ4H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:15 PM   #2005
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Robert Huth is awesome.

I've got him in the middle of my defense as well, solid as a rock alongside Kevin Hoffman.

Huth is much less of a carthorse in the game than he is in real life
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #2006
Ajaxab
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Does anyone else have a problem with starting the season very slow time after time?

I wonder if scheduling really easy friendlies, or really hard friendlies might make a difference? Right now I don't even manage the friendly games that I have (they're usually teams in my own divisoin).

Any advice to get off to better starts to the season?

I typically try to schedule four friendlies that are over my head against better teams in mid/late July. I then schedule one or two friendlies against horrible opposition in late July/early August. This seems to give the team some good competition to get in game playing shape while simultaneously allowing me to boost their morale after they destroy poor opposition. The latter is the Brazil World Cup preparation approach (a game against New Zealand tomorrow? seriously?).

It's still tough to get that great start though. So I also play some of the younger backup players earlier in the year knowing that I might lose a few games early. My theory is that it leaves the first teamers a bit fresher later in the year for us to make a nice run.

'Course this is only my own speculation and may not work consistently.
Ajaxab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:59 PM   #2007
ice4277
Pro Rookie

In regards to friendlies, I usually open with one creampuff, then a moderately challenging match, then two matches against teams of equal or higher divisions, then a creampuff to wrap things up. Sometimes I will add a sixth, depending on how many new players I have to bring into the system.
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:53 PM   #2008
aran
High School Varsity

...WHy is this game so difficult to acquire in America through the internet? I was just looking at Amazon.com, and they're selling it through other parties for a minimum of $112 USD!

Last edited by aran : 06-03-2006 at 11:53 PM.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:55 PM   #2009
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran
...WHy is this game so difficult to acquire in America through the internet? I was just looking at Amazon.com, and they're selling it through other parties for a minimum of $112 USD!

digital download foo
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 12:07 AM   #2010
aran
High School Varsity

Where exactly can I get said digital download from? I've been looking around SI's site to no avail. The only links they seem to have are to European sellers.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #2011
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Where exactly can I get said digital download from? I've been looking around SI's site to no avail. The only links they seem to have are to European sellers.

That's because Sega handles american sales.

http://www.shopsega.com/DRHM/servlet...en_US&Env=BASE
Old 06-04-2006, 12:22 AM   #2012
aran
High School Varsity

Thank you, Foz.

Let's see if I can finally get into FM...
Old 06-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #2013
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

A pattern my teams tend to follow is actually a quick start through August and September, followed by piles of injuries, and awful, inconsistent play through the rest of the year. Then after treading water through most of winter, I usually get rolling, and turn in three top notch months at the end of the season. I don't know why this happens to my teams; it just does.

In fact, you can already see a bit of this in my Sheff Wed dynasty. Very typical.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #2014
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum
A pattern my teams tend to follow is actually a quick start through August and September, followed by piles of injuries, and awful, inconsistent play through the rest of the year. Then after treading water through most of winter, I usually get rolling, and turn in three top notch months at the end of the season. I don't know why this happens to my teams; it just does.

In fact, you can already see a bit of this in my Sheff Wed dynasty. Very typical.

I am with you on this one. My teams usually hit a funk around December, things start to get a little better after the new year, and come March it's full steam ahead. I just have to hope the bad times don't hurt my teams too much and I can still finish high at the end of the year.
Old 06-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #2015
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum

If this is the case then look at dropping your training regime down a little and (very important) firing your physio and purchasing another one. Having a good physio will make your players recover slightly quicker and the estimates on their recovery times more accurate.

Also consider your tactics - if you're playing hard-tackling and pressing style football then you will tend to pick up more injuries, especially later in the year where tired limbs are more suspect and liable to gain strains and such like ...
(remember the english winter weather isn't particularly mild ...)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:39 AM   #2016
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cringer
I am with you on this one. My teams usually hit a funk around December, things start to get a little better after the new year, and come March it's full steam ahead. I just have to hope the bad times don't hurt my teams too much and I can still finish high at the end of the year.

This sounds more like a problem where you don't adapt your style of play to different weather and pitch conditions, you can't play quite the same neat compact passing style on a muddy winters pitch that you might on a balmy autumn day ...
Old 06-04-2006, 04:42 AM   #2017
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPI-Fan
Does anyone else have a problem with starting the season very slow time after time?

I wonder if scheduling really easy friendlies, or really hard friendlies might make a difference? Right now I don't even manage the friendly games that I have (they're usually teams in my own divisoin).

Any advice to get off to better starts to the season?

There's normally a reason behind everything in the game if you can put your 'finger' on it - in real-life a lot of teams play a 'kicker' team before they enter a true competitive spell.

For instance England beating Jamaica 6-0 was largely pointless from a football and tactical point of view, however its good for the players mental perspective to go onto their next game feeling confident.

For this reason I often ensure I've a 'kicker' match at the end of my friendlies as this helps ensure that the players go into their first match believing they're world beaters (when just with like the England national team the jury might still be out on them ).
Old 06-04-2006, 05:23 AM   #2018
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Marc, if I give you a virtual hug can you make an update just for me so that San Jose is the Houston Dynamo?

I will even throw in a kiss.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:24 AM   #2019
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Marc, if I give you a virtual hug can you make an update just for me so that San Jose is the Houston Dynamo?

I will even throw in a kiss.

Can't you just use the built in editor or a third party one?

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 05:26 AM   #2020
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
Can't you just use the built in editor or a third party one?

Shut up!

Actually I have no idea if I can. I have asked in this thread before and no one answered so I assumed there wasn't a way. You know of something? I don't like to edit games so I usually don't look into it too much, so when no one said anything I let it go. In this case though I am more then willing to edit something, somewhere, if I can.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:04 AM   #2021
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Shut up!

Actually I have no idea if I can. I have asked in this thread before and no one answered so I assumed there wasn't a way. You know of something? I don't like to edit games so I usually don't look into it too much, so when no one said anything I let it go. In this case though I am more then willing to edit something, somewhere, if I can.

I haven't used the editor in FM06 but i have in the past and you can edit any team, player or competition. In fact i just tried to do it, just open the editor, search for the team you want to edit and rename it to whatever you want. You can also edit their finances, location etc etc. Remember to do a backup of the database before editing as sometimes a wrong data entered could break your database (anyway you are asked to create a backup when you load the database so say yes to it).

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:49 AM   #2022
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan
If this is the case then look at dropping your training regime down a little and (very important) firing your physio and purchasing another one. Having a good physio will make your players recover slightly quicker and the estimates on their recovery times more accurate.

Also consider your tactics - if you're playing hard-tackling and pressing style football then you will tend to pick up more injuries, especially later in the year where tired limbs are more suspect and liable to gain strains and such like ...
(remember the english winter weather isn't particularly mild ...)

Interesting on the physio. I carry 3-4 usually, and I have had a 20 Physio trainer on board for the past three seasons at Sheff Wed. It is sometimes hard to tell what else to look for in physios. Do other ratings matter for them? Or is it a hidden quirk of my physio? Meaning I can change from my current guy to another 20 Physio (if I can find one), and things might improve?

I do train pretty hard, although none of my regimens are rated as "Heavy". I usually try to go the level just before that (just before it reaches Heavy).

I don't play hard tackling, nor do I press much (well, about average). I do have a tactic that employs stronger pressing, but I only use it occasionally against top teams, and to "shock" my team into action if they get off to a poor start against a substandard squad.

Strangely enough, it is just in the October to December stretch when things get dicey for my players, where they pick up injuries, and get tired. From February or so on, my squad tends to be very physically fit and strong. The injuries go down, and I can even play my entire starting staff all match, with hardly any of them sniffing a sub-80 condition at the end of it. At that point, I sub just to change pace (if needed) or to get subs some action. I don't think it's coincidence that this is also when my team plays strongest--it just seems to take months to get the kinks out of the system, but when the weather warms, this team really turns it on.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:18 AM   #2023
ice4277
Pro Rookie

Quote:

Marc,

Just about every physio I've ever hired has a rating of 20 for physiotherapy, but I can tell that there are differences in quality. Are there other ratings we should be looking at when hiring a physio?
ice4277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:16 AM   #2024
Flasch186
Coordinator

I am going to raise the same issue as before and run away...I definitely think that the end of half engine and end of game engine are setup to allow more dramatic events, especially goals. It is in almost every game wherein a goal is scored near the end of each or in extra time. You can say its a change in tactics or whatever but I have a hard time believeing it when it is in almost 80% of the games, off the top of my head.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #2025
TredWel
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186
I am going to raise the same issue as before and run away...I definitely think that the end of half engine and end of game engine are setup to allow more dramatic events, especially goals. It is in almost every game wherein a goal is scored near the end of each or in extra time. You can say its a change in tactics or whatever but I have a hard time believeing it when it is in almost 80% of the games, off the top of my head.

Really? I can probably count on one hand the number of goals I've seen scored in injury time in my career (spanning 5+ years). And I can also say that the majority of those were scored by a team on the losing end of a 2+ goal lead, so it didn't affect the outcome of the game.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:45 AM   #2026
Flasch186
Coordinator

very very often are the goals scored in that last 10 minutes of a game including, taking into acount 2at the end of the 1st half and 2 minutes of ET and then 3 and 3 at the end of the game. I see it more times than not....maybe its just my game. It is the digital download version

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-04-2006, 09:06 AM   #2027
Galaril
Pro Starter

This is a suggestion for FM 2007 which is coming out in October or there abouts. I hope the MLS league will be enhanced and fleshed out a little more.i think the MLS draft and the long tem issues with too many foreign players (non-american) coming into the MLS, in older dynasties/careers. So, often after you have played in the MLS for a number of years (a decade or) so many of the players are European. This shouldn't be the case especially with soccer growing more in the US only more players will be available in the US. Also, I hope the MLS's oddities compared to other leagues rounfd the globe like playoff structure and the like are improved . So just in general I would like to see it be more realistic. This would also include the teams being up to date as far as team movement. Curently San Jose has moved to Houston and a new teams are in Utah and next year Toronto is getting a team.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 09:40 AM   #2028
Flasch186
Coordinator

GOAL!!

2:37 into ET at the end of the first half. Christian Gatti's error is to blame

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-04-2006, 09:59 AM   #2029
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Well boys finished my first full season with Cambridge City and won the Conf South. The papers have been full of stories about my squad and me, perhaps you've read them

Nip and tuck with Canvey Island the whole second half of the season with 3 points or less seperating us over the last month. Then my two best strikers went down and I had to play a youngster named Duffy who had started to complain of not getting into matches. He has some decent attributes certainly enought to contribute off the bench, or so one would think. But whenever he got in a match he would not come through. Missing easy shots by sailing it over the bar or just plain hurrying and knocking it well wide. Or be on the break with a 2 on 1, only the gk to beat and try to do it all himself only to fail.

Now with 6 games to go and the outright championship and automatic promotion on the line this is the guy I have to count on. 6 games later we have won it. In those 6 games Duffy has a run of form 7-8-8-8-7-8, 7 goals, and 4 assists Man, I love this game.

Last edited by Sweed : 06-04-2006 at 10:00 AM.
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #2030
cmgdodgers
High School JV

I need some help on installing graphics. How do you install kits, and menu bars? I have been able to change the skin, but have had no luck with these two. Also, is there a recommended kit download, that includes both EPL, and Championship?
cmgdodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #2031
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Nice! Mirko Vucinic just broke Robinho+Ronaldo's shared Real Madrid record for goals in a match with 6 in a 10-0 drubbing of Albacete. 9/11 of my team had 10's and the other 2/11 had 8's (one was Casillas). Wow
Old 06-04-2006, 11:40 AM   #2032
Cringer
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy
I haven't used the editor in FM06 but i have in the past and you can edit any team, player or competition. In fact i just tried to do it, just open the editor, search for the team you want to edit and rename it to whatever you want. You can also edit their finances, location etc etc. Remember to do a backup of the database before editing as sometimes a wrong data entered could break your database (anyway you are asked to create a backup when you load the database so say yes to it).

Thanks Icy. I will indeed be doing this right away. I always assumed the editor was just a player editor alone.

Pays to pay attention in class I guess.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #2033
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

mmmm...FM has me addicted again. and i credit it with pulling me out of my "blah" stage too FWIW
Old 06-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #2034
SunDevil
College Prospect

Can you purchase and download this game still? I can not find the link anywhere. And read the first 8 pages of this thread with no luck. Thanks for any help.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #2035
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

http://www.shopsega.com/DRHM/servlet...en_US&Env=BASE
Old 06-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #2036
SunDevil
College Prospect

Thank you.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #2037
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

dola

FM continues to amaze me. I just got a message saying Craig Gallagher didn't show up to training so I clicked his profile and there's an option for "resolve issue" that i have NEVER seen before. SWEET!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM   #2038
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil
Can you purchase and download this game still? I can not find the link anywhere. And read the first 8 pages of this thread with no luck. Thanks for any help.
You should have just read up about 20-30 posts. J/K
Old 06-05-2006, 12:09 AM   #2039
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Dola - Has anyone else had an academy player promoted mid-season? This is the first time I've seen this.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 AM   #2040
MrBug708
Head Coach

Was he any good?
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 01:01 AM   #2041
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708
Was he any good?
Nothing to write home about, although he is only 15. But he is not even listed as a promising midfielder or anything.

Old 06-05-2006, 01:21 AM   #2042
aran
High School Varsity

A couple quick questions on ratings:

What is "Work Rate" exactly? Some indication of the player's work ethic?

How does "Anticipation" affect a player?
Old 06-05-2006, 01:22 AM   #2043
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
A couple quick questions on ratings:

What is "Work Rate" exactly? Some indication of the player's work ethic?

How does "Anticipation" affect a player?

yes that is work rate. anticipation is...knowing where the ball is going to be played, knowing what your teammates and opponents will do. (at least common sense wise). specificially they should both be in the manuel under the list of attributes
Old 06-05-2006, 03:46 AM   #2044
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice4277
Marc,

Just about every physio I've ever hired has a rating of 20 for physiotherapy, but I can tell that there are differences in quality. Are there other ratings we should be looking at when hiring a physio?

At the moment judging physio's is very difficult because of this (you have to really go by their 'work' as much as anything) ... we're changing this in the future though don't worry (apologies for any inconvenience).
Old 06-05-2006, 03:49 AM   #2045
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186

No nothing so underhand I'm afraid - however statistically you are more likely to concede at either the start or end of a half for sound and sensible reasons (both irl and in the game) - although the difference isn't as large as you seem to indicate* (its a 'statistical' difference more than 90% of goals come at these times ).

At the start of the half players are at their most fit for that half and you have the chance that some opposition defenders aren't fully focused on the match after their half-time philisophical debates.

Towards the end of a half players will be at their most tired and in some cases start almost celebrating their win/loss/whatever prematurely rather than concentrate and be fully motivated on the match.

You'll find all of the above in the game, although not hard-coded in any way the AI and physical simulation of the match means this happens naturally.

*If you're seeing goals at these times a lot then its either a strength or weakness of your team and if a weakness then try and adapt to avoid it being a problem obviously. You 'can' build for these as strengths incidentally largely by looking for players with the right mentality to keep battling in all situations - most dominant winning sides have this sort of mentality, its what kept Man Utd going in the CL final a few years back when they came back from behind in the dying seconds and won it in injury time ...

Last edited by Marc Vaughan : 06-05-2006 at 03:52 AM.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #2046
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:

At the start of the half players are at their most fit for that half and you have the chance that some opposition defenders aren't fully focused on the match after their half-time philisophical debates.

Political debates.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #2047
Critch
lolzcat

Quote:
Dola - Has anyone else had an academy player promoted mid-season? This is the first time I've seen this.

Only once, got one half way through a season playing as Man Utd. A young winger from Barbados who signed up, spent a few seasons in the youths and reserves looking like he was going to be a great player before fading away to a respectable but unimpressive career in the lower leagues. Kind of like Freddy Adu in real life

I think the mid-season ones may be real kids rather than game generated ones, Steve Bozinovski pops up on an "Aussies Abroad" type thread in google as an unattached player.
Critch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:49 AM   #2048
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Hey MikeVick, where did you get that skin? I like it.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:05 AM   #2049
MikeVick7
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia
Hey MikeVick, where did you get that skin? I like it.
It's the Hellenic skin. Here's the website...

http://www.ellines.com/fmskins/2006/
Old 06-05-2006, 09:16 AM   #2050
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
It's the Hellenic skin. Here's the website...

http://www.ellines.com/fmskins/2006/

Thanks. I've been using the chameleon skin, but even with that, I still get that ugly blue background color that came with the metallic skin.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote