Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #2001
LloydLungs
College Prospect

Bernstein's reading my mind on this one. Excellent opinion piece.
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #2002
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
I read it as per year, but that makes more sense. So a slap on the hand.

It is per year. That is their annual share of conference bowl revenue.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #2003
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
It is per year. That is their annual share of conference bowl revenue.

Everything I'm reading is that it's $13 million total.

Penn State Sanctions: Big Ten Tacks On Bowl Money, Title Game Penalties - SBNation.com
Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 AM   #2004
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Twelve teams by $13 million would mean they are reeling in $150 million plus per year in bowl revenue.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #2005
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post

I originally saw the $13MM per year in a Bruce Feldman tweet, but thinking about it more, that does sound very high. But $3.25MM per team annually does sound low considering the amount of bowl tie-ins the conference has.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:17 AM   #2006
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
That, and the NCAA is stuck investigating that one themselves and has no subpoena power to actually verify anything from when that story broke leaving them stuck with only punishing Miami with what they can otherwise prove since Shapiro probably didn't write down "Gave recruit $1,000 for hooker and $450 to pay for abortion" anywhere.

I'd love to see a ledger with that, old Chicago mob style.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #2007
dacman
College Benchwarmer

13 shares (12 teams plus conference itself gets a share) * 3.25M guaranteed = $42.25M. In prior years, that number would go up if 2 teams made a BCS bowl or 1 made the national championship game (the real figure is based on actual $ for a given year).
Old 07-23-2012, 11:22 AM   #2008
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Twelve teams by $13 million would mean they are reeling in $150 million plus per year in bowl revenue.

Unlikely.

Quote:
The Big Ten, PAC-10 and SEC are the big winners this year, with $27.2 million each, because they put they put two teams apiece in the BCS games.

That means $13.6 million for a BCS game. I doubt the other bowls are offering that kind of money. I think $13 million total seems far more realistic.

Last edited by Matthean : 07-23-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Matthean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #2009
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

{cringes}

Jay Paterno declines comment, says Paterno family statement will be out shortly.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #2010
Ben E Lou
Morgado's Favorite Forum Fascist

BWAHAHAHAHA

#Paterno family said to be issuing statement shortly. It may take time to get here from their home planet.
Original Tweet: Twitter / dan_bernstein: #Paterno family said to be ...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #2011
Buccaneer
Head Coach

I'm sure a handful of fat cat alumni will take care of any monetary shortfall since that makes them feel like their d*** is bigger so they can continue to pound their chests on football Saturdays.
Buccaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:23 PM   #2012
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Seems fitting somehow.

Big Ten is suppose to hand out their sanctions at 11AM.

Any word on this?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:28 PM   #2013
Subby
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Any word on this?
No share of bowl money for 4 years, no big 10 championship game for 4 years.
Superman was flying around and saw Wonder Woman getting a tan in the nude on her balcony. Superman said I going to hit that real fast. So he flys down toward Wonder Woman to hit it and their is a loud scream. The Invincible Man scream what just hit me in the ass!!!!!

I do shit, I take pictures, I write about it: chrisshue.com
Subby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #2014
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

The 13m from the Big Ten is completely different than the 60m the school was fined. That 13m from the Big Ten hopefully goes to child abuse prevention as well.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 07-23-2012 at 12:31 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #2015
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Good thing Pegula gave them all that money to start a hockey program. I guess they'll just have to shift their focus.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:38 PM   #2016
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
The 13m from the Big Ten is completely different than the 60m the school was fined. That 13m from the Big Ten hopefully goes to child abuse prevention as well.

It does.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #2017
Logan
Head Coach

Here's a picture of the newest Paterno family statement:

http://i.imgur.com/cCRQb.png

Love the line about how the sanctions "defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family".

Yeah, they should take into account what you nutjobs have to say about your dad.

And there's this:

"How Sandusky was able to get away with those crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood"...I know a couple ways he was able to.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #2018
tarcone
Coordinator

So the bar has been set. You can protect a child rapist for 14 years. Let the football coach run the university. Have no institutional control. And you get a fine and lose some schollies and 4 bowls.
So when a coach looks at this and says to himself "To win, I can do almost anything. The penalty wont be to harsh. Lets do it."
Well done, NCAA.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #2019
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

One thing people seem to forget is that Sandusky was one hell of a LB coach.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #2020
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:

Love the line about how the sanctions "defame the legacy and contributions of a great coach and educator without any input from our family".

Yeah, they should take into account what you nutjobs have to say about your dad.

And there's this:

"How Sandusky was able to get away with those crimes for so long has yet to be fully understood"...I know a couple ways he was able to.

all that is to me is them posturing themselves for the likely soon to be filed civil charges which will include JoePa and his estate as a defendant

also, it makes them look stupid, imo
saldana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #2021
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'll laugh when the NCAA allows the PSU kids to transfer to USC
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #2022
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So, been reading all this stuff about the sanctions and whatnot. But what I haven't been able to figure out is how Missouri is going to benefit from all of this. Does anyone know?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #2023
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
all that is to me is them posturing themselves for the likely soon to be filed civil charges which will include JoePa and his estate as a defendant

also, it makes them look stupid, imo

They need to hire a crisis management PR firm. These people are fucking clueless about how they're coming off to the rest of the country.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #2024
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
So the bar has been set. You can protect a child rapist for 14 years. Let the football coach run the university. Have no institutional control. And you get a fine and lose some schollies and 4 bowls.
So when a coach looks at this and says to himself "To win, I can do almost anything. The penalty wont be to harsh. Lets do it."
Well done, NCAA.

except the fact that they are going to prison, where there will likely be many re-enactments of what McCreary saw in the shower...but i suppose you can ignore that...and the fact that Paterno himself is dead, so maybe we can dig him up and punish him some more. [/sarcasm]

this isnt all about football...there are more penalties that these scumbags are paying, and if paterno was still alive, he would be under indictment too.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:59 PM   #2025
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

And there's this:

Geez. Isn't this one of the few things in the past month or so that really doesn't have much to do with Paterno for a change? This isn't taking down the statue, it's Penn State administration. It's like they're still saying "Penn State = Paterno" even though Paterno is dead, and that kind of hubris is exactly what led to all this in the first place.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #2026
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Geez. Isn't this one of the few things in the past month or so that really doesn't have much to do with Paterno for a change? This isn't taking down the statue, it's Penn State administration. It's like they're still saying "Penn State = Paterno" even though Paterno is dead, and that kind of hubris is exactly what led to all this in the first place.

It's prolly cuz they took away daddy's wins, which is going to fuck up Jr's plans for making $ off his dad's legacy.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2027
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
They need to hire a crisis management PR firm. These people are fucking clueless about how they're coming off to the rest of the country.

i live here, but have never drank the blue cool aid...some of these people are completely nuts and still worship Paterno and the Program...they will read the statement and cheer and ignore the evidence and the Freeh report (much like the family did when they wrote this statement) and never realize that everyone else thinks they are out of their minds...it is baffling to me how people can be like that, especially the ones that didnt even go there!
Old 07-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #2028
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
It's prolly cuz they took away daddy's wins, which is going to fuck up Jr's plans for making $ off his dad's legacy.

It is all about that and nothing else. They don't give 2 shits about PSU or anything else. They only care about JoePa's good name.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #2029
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:

And there's this:

Both of these were the exact thoughts that I had when reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM   #2030
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
It is all about that and nothing else. They don't give 2 shits about PSU or anything else. They only care about JoePa's good name.

Yeah, "probably" was just a softening adjective there. Clearly that's 100% what it's about...the future financial impact to "Paterno Inc."
Old 07-23-2012, 01:07 PM   #2031
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saldana View Post
i live here, but have never drank the blue cool aid...some of these people are completely nuts and still worship Paterno and the Program...they will read the statement and cheer and ignore the evidence and the Freeh report (much like the family did when they wrote this statement) and never realize that everyone else thinks they are out of their minds...it is baffling to me how people can be like that, especially the ones that didnt even go there!

I think that the psychology of large groups like that is so interesting. In hindsight I might have gone that direction with my academic career, along with history (as there are of course countless examples of it in history).
Old 07-23-2012, 01:34 PM   #2032
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Well done, NCAA.

Eh, this particular coach (the one who did the covering up, not the actual molester) is dead, so the NCAA really can't take any action against the coach. Let's face it, if something like this happened again, the covering coach wouldn't care what happened to the school he's at, because he's either fired or resigned from that position. What he'd care about is HIS future. And here, JoePa isn't alive for the NCAA to issue a lifetime ban or something along those lines. Which, I would think, would cause someone to think twice. As would the potential criminal sanctions which, again, Paterno will not face.

Whether it's covering up a crime of this magnitude or paying players or rigging grades, rarely is the punishment to the school at the time it is found out, investigated, and charged going to deter a coach because all of that will be in the past. It's what they could/should do to the coaches involved that would matter most. It's unfortunate, in a way, that JoePa isn't around to be symbolically banned for the rest of his life. If Tressel got 5 years and Dave Bliss got 10 years, I'd have to think this would be a lifetime ban.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #2033
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So, been reading all this stuff about the sanctions and whatnot. But what I haven't been able to figure out is how Missouri is going to benefit from all of this. Does anyone know?

They're going to go undefeated in the SEC. Duh.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:04 PM   #2034
corbes
College Benchwarmer

I hear the Paterno family as saying that the process was unfair because they weren’t (1) told everything that would happen before it happened or (2) given an opportunity to change the outcome before it was decided upon.
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #2035
mckerney
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

It is probably going to set a higher standard for NCAA penalties in the future, meaning there would be a stronger deterrent against any for of cheating. Now it's obvious that schools like Alabama, Auburn, Florida and LSU knew they were going to have to really step up their game just to compete with Missouri in the SEC, but now that they may be facing harsher penalties if they're caught so they'll probably shy away from it. Those schools being forced to compete on equal ground with Missouri means Mizzou will remain the favorite to win the SEC for years to come.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #2036
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckerney View Post
It is probably going to set a higher standard for NCAA penalties in the future, meaning there would be a stronger deterrent against any for of cheating. Now it's obvious that schools like Alabama, Auburn, Florida and LSU knew they were going to have to really step up their game just to compete with Missouri in the SEC, but now that they may be facing harsher penalties if they're caught so they'll probably shy away from it. Those schools being forced to compete on equal ground with Missouri means Mizzou will remain the favorite to win the SEC for years to come.

Touche

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #2037
stevew
Hall Of Famer

half tempted to start an anti-PSU site called 298wins.com but not motivated enough by hatred to follow through.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:38 PM   #2038
rowech
Pro Starter

Penn State trustee: School 'rolled over and played dead' to NCAA
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #2039
MrBug708
Head Coach

So based on this indefensible new NCAA precedent of punishing schools for behavior unrelated to the product on the field, what is the NCAA going to do to UCLA for Howland covering for Reeves Nelson's misbehaviors?

Is every program that ever looked the other way (or failed to turn over to the police) when a player got involved in a DUI, domestic disturbance or drug possession now in danger? This is a horrible path for the NCAA.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:46 PM   #2040
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post
So based on this indefensible new NCAA precedent of punishing schools for behavior unrelated to the product on the field, what is the NCAA going to do to UCLA for Howland covering for Reeves Nelson's misbehaviors?

Is every program that ever looked the other way (or failed to turn over to the police) when a player got involved in a DUI, domestic disturbance or drug possession now in danger? This is a horrible path for the NCAA.

Really dude? We've been over this.

But in answer to the questions in your second paragraph - I should hope they would be in danger. Fuck them.

Covering up for, or ignoring, any level of misbehavior on the part of student-athletes should not be tolerated. Like these kids need any more coddeling and being made to feel they're special. Isn't that why we get shit like Rae Carruth trying to kill his pregnant baby-mama in a driveby and shit? Because they already think the rules don't apply to them. If anything I'd argue that they need to have it drummed into them even more explicitly that the fucking rules do apply to them and they should then be held to a HIGHER standard of behavior.

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 07-23-2012 at 02:49 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #2041
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:

Why would that be a horrible precedent? It's not okay for the average citizen to "aid and abet", why should it be okay for NCAA schools just to help their sports programs?
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #2042
MrBug708
Head Coach

Let the law run it's course. The NCAA needs to monitor the fairness of it's sports world. Banning JoPa for life from college sports would have been a good start but he went and died, so the NCAA had to go out and do something. I wonder what the penalties will be for only covering up one child molestation would be? Slightly more than what USC got for cheating, but not quite as bad as multiple cover-ups of child molestation?

NCAA needs to stick with policing the cheaters out there and leave the real world stuff to the ones that actually can do something about it.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:21 PM   #2043
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Let the law run it's course. The NCAA needs to monitor the fairness of it's sports world. Banning JoPa for life from college sports would have been a good start but he went and died, so the NCAA had to go out and do something. I wonder what the penalties will be for only covering up one child molestation would be? Slightly more than what USC got for cheating, but not quite as bad as multiple cover-ups of child molestation?

NCAA needs to stick with policing the cheaters out there and leave the real world stuff to the ones that actually can do something about it.

All I'll say is...I'm glad the NCAA chose a different approach.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:26 PM   #2044
saldana
Pro Starter

i was just re-reading the horrible statement from the Paterno family, and something occurred to me..why exactly is JoePa being called an "educator"...did he ever teach a class...because he told his players they had to go to class does not make him an educator...it does make him a good coach, but there is a difference between a coach and a teacher...i realize this is semantics, but i am just getting really tired of the hero worship for this guy...again, i live here, so it is nonstop for me, lol
Old 07-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #2045
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

If your school fucks up to the point where they have to pay a former FBI head $500,000 per month to investigate how you got so fucked up, have him write up a report and then agree that what he said is factual, then yes. The "unprecedented" part of this is using the Freeh report instead of wasting time with their own investigation that would get stonewalled anyway.

Otherwise, it's going to be business as usual, but if everyone starts getting paranoid that their football players can't beat up their girlfriends anymore, that's fine with me too.

Last edited by bronconick : 07-23-2012 at 03:29 PM.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:29 PM   #2046
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
All I'll say is...I'm glad the NCAA chose a different approach.

Forfeit the games the ineligible player participated in and ban the coaches and administrators. The NCAA has got to stop punishing schools, innocent players and fans for the acts of coaches who have already left or are acting in their own best interests despite what is/is not the right thing to do
Old 07-23-2012, 03:33 PM   #2047
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

Does Ben Howland have the authority at UCLA to overrule the school president on whether or not to report a crime to the authorities?

Yes, this whole thing revolves around crimes that need to be taken care of outside of the NCAA. However, this entire series of events happened because the school had no control over the football program or the coach. Every coach in every sport at every school wants more power. The difference is at other schools there's usually someone that puts the breaks on the type of power Paterno was wielding.

Last edited by Atocep : 07-23-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM   #2048
saldana
Pro Starter

Quote:
Forfeit the games the ineligible player participated in and ban the coaches and administrators. The NCAA has got to stop punishing schools, innocent players and fans for the acts of coaches who have already left or are acting in their own best interests despite what is/is not the right thing to do

whether or not the coaches are still there or have left already does not alter the fact that when they WERE there, the school is responsible (or at least should be) responsible for the coaches actions...that is the message here.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:36 PM   #2049
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:

The idea is to deter cheating/rules violations. In order to do that you have to create penalties that make the risk far greater than the reward.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #2050
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
The idea is to deter cheating/rules violations. In order to do that you have to create penalties that make the risk far greater than the reward.

What's a greater punishment than an individual being banned for life? Unless you're saying these people care what happens to the fans and programs after they're caught.

If Paterno was about 50 years younger and was banned for life (and couldn't just go start over at a new school, per usual NCAA protocol), and was facing criminal charges, I think some people would look at all this a little differently. They'd look at that as an appropriate punitive measure and that desire to see punishment would be a little more satisfied, without the same need to take it out on the coach there now instead.

Last edited by molson : 07-23-2012 at 03:43 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote