Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #1951
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmel View Post
Yeah, Crean is quickly moving up the list of biggest douchebag coaches in MBB. Shouldn't he be thanking that assistant coach for fucking up his program so he could get the job in the first place?

Maybe he'll catch Boehiem soon.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #1952
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Yeah, Crean is quickly moving up the list of biggest douchebag coaches in MBB. Shouldn't he be thanking that assistant coach for fucking up his program so he could get the job in the first place?

Really? The guy has been cleaning up the mess left by Sampson for 4 years, endured some terrible seasons, has been the subject of negative recruiting by the assistant coach in question, and you think he should want to thank him?

By that logic, I guess we should all thank Wall Street for fucking up our economy too?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #1953
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

My Number 1 Seed Predictions:

Gonzaga

Duke - If they win their first two ACC Tourney games against Maryland and UNC/FSU/Clemson I think they lock it up. I could see a case for Miami if they did win the ACC Tourney by beating Duke in the Championship.

Indiana - They'd have to lose to Illinois/Minnesota in their only game of the B1G to have a SMALL chance of not getting a #1 Seed.

Louisville/Georgetown - Whichever one of these teams wins the Big East I believe will snatch up the last spot. If neither of these teams wins their tourney then Kansas will be the last #1 if they win the Big 12 Tourney. If none of those three teams win their tourney then you may see Michigan or Michigan St sneak into the last #1 if they win the B1G tourney..granted they always say the B1G Tourney Champ doesn't have any affect on the committee unless it's a non-bubble team like Northwestern/PSU, etc.

Last edited by mauchow : 03-12-2013 at 08:25 AM.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 AM   #1954
spleen1015
Coordinator

A tournament to determine the most hated college basketball players in the last 30 years - Grantland
Old 03-12-2013, 08:44 AM   #1955
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Really? The guy has been cleaning up the mess left by Sampson for 4 years, endured some terrible seasons, has been the subject of negative recruiting by the assistant coach in question, and you think he should want to thank him?

By that logic, I guess we should all thank Wall Street for fucking up our economy too?

Don't you think it is kind of peddy to take shots at him though? I would think a good lesson to his kids is to let your actions speak for you. Pretty unprofessional of him to to take shots, regardless of the situation, take the high road.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #1956
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

For somebody who has been so level headed for as long as you have been at FOFC, you are turning into the Indiana version of MBBF.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Marmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #1957
Kodos
Resident Alien

I actually haven't seen the video of it, but yes, I think he should have handled himself better from the descriptions I've read. Probably most of us have moments where we do things we shouldn't have when we get upset. He did call and apologize that night, FWIW.

As for the flopping thing, I said at the time that Sheehey's was definitely a flop. I didn't think Cody's was. Flopping is a bit of an epidemic in the sports where there are fouls.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #1958
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Maybe, but if you would notice, this was about Crean and I never post in this thread about the awesomeness of Syracuse or the coaching staff. I know there are warts, just like every program.

Cincinnati basketball writer P. Daugherty, "Connor Barwin playing several minutes against Syracuse is like kids with slingshots taking down Caesar's legions."
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #1959
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
For somebody who has been so level headed for as long as you have been at FOFC, you are turning into the Indiana version of MBBF.

If you say so. Like I just said, Crean could have handled himself better after the game. And should've. I also don't love his use of the oversign. But I think the good things he does far outweigh his downsides. He has brought in kids who are good players, good students (two academic All Americans on the team this year), and who don't show up on the police blotter. He does all sorts of charitable stuff in the Bloomington community, a lot of which doesn't get the headlines that flopgate and the confrontation the other night get. Is he perfect? No. Is he the biggest jerk in college sports? I really don't think so.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-12-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #1960
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Maybe, but if you would notice, this was about Crean and I never post in this thread about the awesomeness of Syracuse or the coaching staff. I know there are warts, just like every program.

I'm sorry if I've been overly enthusiastic this season. IU has been down for a long time, even before the whole Sampson fiasco. Now we have a team filled with kids I love watching play. I certainly hope I haven't turned into MBBF-lite. It just seems like Crean gets a lot of shit thrown his way, when it seems to me like he does a lot of things right. He didn't take shortcuts building the team. He found high-character kids. The only IU coach who I've never had a complaint about was Coach Hoeppner. I thought Bobby should have been gone long before he was fired (although I thought the thing they got rid of him for was crap).

Last edited by Kodos : 03-12-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #1961
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I'm sorry if I've been overly enthusiastic this season. IU has been down for a long time, even before the whole Sampson fiasco. Now we have a team filled with kids I love watching play. I certainly hope I haven't turned into MBBF-lite. It just seems like Crean gets a lot of shit thrown his way, when it seems to me like he does a lot of things right. He didn't take shortcuts building the team. He found high-character kids. The only IU coach who I've never had a complaint about was Coach Hoeppner. I thought Bobby should have been gone long before he was fired (although I thought the thing they got rid of him for was crap).

I always thought Crean was a good coach, back to his Marquette days. It just seems like he has taken his court antics, which have always been borderline, to new heights this season. I honestly don't pay attention to off-court stuff for any team, even the ones I root for, so any good he does off court, doesn't register with me. I only care about the games.

I can appreciate the enthusiasm, especially when your team has been down for a while, but c'mon it is motherfuckin' Indiana, a top 10 program all time, probably right behind Missouri in the prestige rankings. Their fans should act like it.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 AM   #1962
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout

@nezzy21 It started with things said during the handshake line

This Crean drama is funny to me. It's not like it's an out of the blue incident. There's alot of behind the scenes stuff between Meyer and Crean, and the 2 coaching staff's just don't like each other. Someone said something during the initial handshake. Crean reacted. Not a big deal.

Michigan is also trying to take a 2014 recruit committed to Indiana. Not a big deal in my eyes either, it happens, but any logically thinking person can see how that would piss off the coach.

Quote:
Brian Snow ‏@BSnowScout

There have been unfriendly recruitments between IU and Michigan in last year. Major source of issues between staffs. Will leave it at that

Most teams do it, most coaches will get pissed when it happens to them, and thats the cycle.

As fans, we all want to believe our team, and coaching staff are good people, nice people, they always do the right thing(except Kentucky) Well, the truth is if that were true, they wouldn't be that good at what they do. They do what's best for them and their program. They wouldn't be very successful if they didn't.

Indiana was down as far as any team has ever been down. It hurt, watching them get pushed around and laughed at. Our line at the time was "get your kicks in now, you won't be able to later." It's later, and IU fan are excited, nothing wrong with that.

As for flopping, every team flops. Until the referee's stop rewarding it, it's in the game. If you complain about it, get over yourself.
BBCF: Notre Dame
TML
Johnny93g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #1963
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
This Crean drama is funny to me. It's not like it's an out of the blue incident. There's alot of behind the scenes stuff between Meyer and Crean, and the 2 coaching staff's just don't like each other. Someone said something during the initial handshake. Crean reacted. Not a big deal.

Michigan is also trying to take a 2014 recruit committed to Indiana. Not a big deal in my eyes either, it happens, but any logically thinking person can see how that would piss off the coach.

Most teams do it, most coaches will get pissed when it happens to them, and thats the cycle.

As fans, we all want to believe our team, and coaching staff are good people, nice people, they always do the right thing(except Kentucky) Well, the truth is if that were true, they wouldn't be that good at what they do. They do what's best for them and their program. They wouldn't be very successful if they didn't.

Indiana was down as far as any team has ever been down. It hurt, watching them get pushed around and laughed at. Our line at the time was "get your kicks in now, you won't be able to later." It's later, and IU fan are excited, nothing wrong with that.

As for flopping, every team flops. Until the referee's stop rewarding it, it's in the game. If you complain about it, get over yourself.

Much people make fun of MBBF for standing up for everything Mizzou you are being a blind homer. Every non-IU fan in the thread sees one thing and you and Kodos see another. Defend Creen all you want but that's the reality. I don't care that much about it so I don't care about the tweets or how great a community guy he is. He looked like a dick that couldn't handle winning a big game, act like you have been there before.

Last edited by panerd : 03-12-2013 at 10:38 AM.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:48 AM   #1964
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
Much people make fun of MBBF for standing up for everything Mizzou you are being a blind homer. Every non-IU fan in the thread sees one thing and you and Kodos see another. Defend Creen all you want but that's the reality. I don't care that much about it so I don't care about the tweets or how great a community guy he is. He looked like a dick that couldn't handle winning a big game, act like you have been there before.

I don't make fun of him. I didn't say anything about his community work, i stuck to what the job is on the basketball court. Way to ignore most of what i said though.
TML
Old 03-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #1965
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Meh, quit your bitching people. Crean wins games. He's not the first asshole to be worshiped for winning games at Indiana. It's part of the culture.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #1966
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

Did you actually read a word of what he said?

For the record, a ton of the shit MBBF takes is because of what happened during the Mike Anderson "will never, ever, ever leave Mizzou, trust me" saga.

Last edited by Logan : 03-12-2013 at 10:55 AM.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #1967
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny93g View Post
I don't make fun of him. I didn't say anything about his community work, i stuck to what the job is on the basketball court. Way to ignore most of what i said though.

You said the confrontation people thought made Crean out to be an asshole "wasn't a big deal" and the discussing them intentionally flopping last week is a non-issue and we need to "get over yourselves". Sorry I must of missed you not blindly defending the two complaints everyone else had about Creen by blowing off both incidents.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #1968
Johnny93g
College Starter

Quote:
You said the confrontation people thought made Crean out to be an asshole "wasn't a big deal" and the discussing them intentionally flopping last week is a non-issue and we need to "get over yourselves". Sorry I must of missed you not blindly defending the two complaints everyone else had about Creen by blowing off both incidents.

Yep, i tried to give a little insight about what may have been behind the confrontation. I added why i didn't think it was that big a deal. I feel like this incident is not very common, and I see how it comes across, but again, i feel like ALL coaches do are pretty poor job of playing by the "sportsman's rules."

I also think it's fine to complain about flopping during the heat of a game, but its something every team does in order to gain an advantage. To single out single incident's or single teams, in a general sense....that's kind of blind to me.
TML
Old 03-12-2013, 12:33 PM   #1969
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I certainly hope I haven't turned into MBBF-lite.
Not exactly, but you've been acting like a bit of a dick in this thread. I've got no dog in this fight - I'm a Pac-12 guy - just giving you an outside perspective.

It's not so much the defending Crean per se or the pride about Indiana's success - it's the potshot lashing out at others when they criticize Indiana or Crean and the arrogant statements:

Quote:

Quote:
I get it. Fans of fellow Big Ten teams don't like that IU is back atop the Big Ten, and have a young coach who could conceivably have them regularly challenging for first place for a couple of decades.

Quote:
Meanwhile, Wisconsin will be working their way towards another 4th or 5th place finish.

Quote:
That's interesting, because you have seemed irritated by IU's success. Which is understandable, because a good chunk of that success has come at the expense of your team.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:43 PM   #1970
Kodos
Resident Alien

Fair enough. Mauchow and I have worked things out, aside from the occasional friendly barb. Boehiem has been on my hated coaches list for a long time. Some of the Crean criticism I can understand, but the flopping thing I truly don't get. There is flopping all over out there.

Anyhow, I'll dial it back a bit.

Last edited by Kodos : 03-12-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:52 PM   #1971
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Did you actually read a word of what he said?

For the record, a ton of the shit MBBF takes is because of what happened during the Mike Anderson "will never, ever, ever leave Mizzou, trust me" saga.

Really, I thought it was for "Mizzou to the Big Ten is a done deal, trust me" saga.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #1972
yacovfb
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Really, I thought it was for "Mizzou to the Big Ten is a done deal, trust me" saga.

I thought it was for the "Pittsburgh Penguins are moving to Kansas City" saga
yacovfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #1973
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacovfb View Post
I thought it was for the "Pittsburgh Penguins are moving to Kansas City" saga

I thought it was the obsession over everything Kansas and Texas and anything they do is wrong saga?

Old 03-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #1974
spleen1015
Coordinator

I didn't even know who he was until the PS3 vs. 360 saga. That's where it started for me and carried over every where else.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #1975
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Don't you think it is kind of peddy to take shots at him though?
No, that would be going after Syracuse, or Penn State football.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:02 PM   #1976
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
No, that would be going after Syracuse, or Penn State football.

I thought Cuse was cleared?

Edit: Is that still the real perception or just a joke?

Last edited by Marmel : 03-12-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #1977
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Meh, quit your bitching people. Crean wins games. He's not the first asshole to be worshiped for winning games at Indiana. It's part of the culture.

Kind of like the culture of never winning anything of note at Mizzou.

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble...
Old 03-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #1978
Marmel
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Nope. Mizzou stuff is the exception to the rule!

Old 03-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #1979
Kodos
Resident Alien

Yes! Loophole!
Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #1980
mauchow
Grizzled Veteran

Anything between kodos and I just take with a grain of salt.

Unless Wisconsin somehow gets by Michigan and Indiana in the B1G tourney then I will probably rub it in everyones face a bit. Then I'll eat my words if we face MSU in the championship game and get beat by 20.
mauchow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #1981
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

It's still the real perception if you need an easy punchline to a pedophile joke.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #1982
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

That'll be the last time I come to your defense.

You can thank me later.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #1983
Kodos
Resident Alien

Well, it was a pretty crappy defense. "Their fanbase is used to rooting for jerky coaches."
Old 03-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #1984
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Well, it was a pretty crappy defense. "Their fanbase is used to rooting for jerky coaches."

Where did I qualify whether it was a good defense?????????

Old 03-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #1985
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

LOL......I'm guessing Marshall Henderson probably wasn't anticipating anyone would actually respond.......

Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM   #1986
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
It's still the real perception if you need an easy punchline to a pedophile joke.
This, especially because Crean was being compared to Boeheim like 2 posts above it.

Overall, as someone who doesn't have ingrained rivalries against any of those schools, I agree that Crean comes off as an ultra-competitive asshole (at least while doing his job), but probably isn't any worse than at least 100 other D1 coaches, most much less successful than him. It's like when I defend Calipari - I don't think he does anything that most D1 coaches don't do, or wouldn't if they could, and most of the hate just comes from his success at it, but at the same time I know there is some homerism on my part and I don't expect other fans to actually change their minds.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:21 PM   #1987
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Seattle has a D1 basketball team? And they're in the WAC along with Texas State?

Who knew?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1988
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Seattle has a D1 basketball team? And they're in the WAC along with Texas State?

Who knew?
People who want to start with a really bad program in FBCB?
Old 03-12-2013, 09:53 PM   #1989
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

My goodness. The Big East tourney got off to rip-roaring fashion when Seton Hall beat South Florida.

The final? 46-42.

In OT.

How is that even possible in the shot clock era?
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #1990
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

Who knew?

I knew.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #1991
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

This. FBCB has taught me a lot about small D1 programs.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #1992
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I knew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
This. FBCB has taught me a lot about small D1 programs.

britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #1993
britrock88
Pro Starter

Oh, check this out. Missouri may actually be the Duke of the Midwest this year in one sense. This table shows Home PPP margin, Away PPP margin, and the difference:

Code:
Missouri +0.22 +0.01 -0.21 Duke +0.25 +0.05 -0.20
Old 03-13-2013, 02:58 AM   #1994
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Who knew?
Seattle U actually has a pretty robust basketball history for a small school. Elgin Baylor is their most famous alum, leading them to a runner-up finish in the NCAA Tournament in 1958. Clint Richardson was an alum too. They dropped out of D-1 in 1980, but brought the program back to D-1 in 2009. They have 11 NCAA Tournament appearances, all between 1953-1969.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 AM   #1995
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by britrock88 View Post
Oh, check this out. Missouri may actually be the Duke of the Midwest this year in one sense. This table shows Home PPP margin, Away PPP margin, and the difference:

Code:
Missouri +0.22 +0.01 -0.21 Duke +0.25 +0.05 -0.20

Obsession isn't just a fragrance.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #1996
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Obsession isn't just a fragrance.

Yeah seems like a pretty lame attempt to troll but that is par for the course for a few of the guys.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #1997
Logan
Head Coach

For you Big 12 fans, Wally Judge tied a Big East tournament record by going 9-9 from the field for Rutgers last night. He finished with 20 and 10.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:59 AM   #1998
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

FYI for those in Nashville and KC, great day to take the kids to the game if you haven't before. You can pick up upper level tickets for first round sessions tonight for $3 or less.

Big East and Pac 12 are the higher ones. Still, $20/ticket for two games is pretty good.

Big Ten first round tomorrow is $11/ticket for two games.

ACC tourney first round tickets are $9/ticket for two games.

Lots of good live basketball for high school admission prices.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #1999
britrock88
Pro Starter

Well, I didn't mean for it to be an out-and-out dig. Clearly, Mizzou has done quite well at home, to their credit. As a UNC die-hard, my dig is really on Duke for having that kind of disparity in home/road performance, when I am part of a group convinced that the Crazies or the Gothic architecture plays tricks on officials' minds.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #2000
britrock88
Pro Starter

(Whereas, going mainly by this thread, some of Mizzou's road problems might be attributable to Pressey's decision-making?)