Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-18-2010, 10:32 AM   #1951
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
SLAM ONLINE | » Penny Hardaway Wants to Play for the Miami Heat

And see Durant's twitter feed today? Now that's a competitor. He questioned why everyone wants to go to Miami and LA now, they should want to go up against them and beat them.

As others have said, he's definitely moving up my list

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 07-18-2010 at 10:41 AM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #1952
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

$5M is a fair price to pay for the Rockets not to have a 6'6" guy playing center next year if Yao goes down. Yeah, it's overpaid, to be sure. But I love to see Les and Morey going for it without too long term of a downside. They lost out on Bosh but put the rest of the pieces together as well as possible.

Morey reminds me of Jack Z with the Mariners. Other teams certainly use advanced stats but they practically live and die by them and, yes, this year, the M's aren't looking so hot (tho for a number of reasons) so it will be interesting to see if it actually works out for Houston.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #1953
Danny
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
As others have said, he's definitely moving up my list

SI

Yeah, Durant is likely moving at the top of my list of favorite non-Lakers, and I would root for Thunder over anyone except Lakers (and maybe Clipper just cause I feel bad for them).
Danny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:14 PM   #1954
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Dwyane Wade:

Quote:
If we lose a couple in a row this season, it will be like the World Trade (Center) is coming down again.

Heat Supporting Cast Has Become Better Than Expected -- NBA FanHouse

Last edited by RainMaker : 07-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #1955
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

There's a forehead slapper.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:22 PM   #1956
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post

Please tell me this is a satirical site?
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:56 PM   #1957
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Guess he was misquoted. This is the exact quote that they have changed it to:

"We're going to be wearing a bullseye. But that's what you play for," Wade said. "We enjoy the bullseye. Plus, there's going to be times when we lose 2-3 games in a row, and it seems like the world has crashed down. You all are going to make it seem like the World Trade is coming down again, but it's not going to be nothing but a couple basketball games.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #1958
Logan
Head Coach

So according to that edit, it was a "transcription error" or am I looking at the wrong thing?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:07 PM   #1959
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Pretty brutal misquote.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:15 PM   #1960
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Pretty brutal misquote.

I am sure it was worth the number of hits to the website.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #1961
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

ouch on the misquote, but it seems likely that either Wade did say the original, and was like oh fuck I'm an idiot for saying that, gotta get that one erased, or the reporter is a fuckwad idiot.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #1962
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

And I fucking new that Jason Williams might think of playing one more season and come back to the heat (always one of my fav players) will see if he really does it.

Last edited by k0ruptr : 07-18-2010 at 06:20 PM.
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 PM   #1963
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Even the changed quote is retarded.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #1964
Groundhog
Coordinator

So, James Jones was due $4.7mil this coming season. Gets bought out for $1.9mil in June, re-signs for $1mil with the Heat when apparently Spurs (and maybe others) offered more. Hmmm.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 PM   #1965
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Groundhog-
Do you bring Gilbert Arenas to Cleveland for either Mo Williams/Boobie/Moon or Jamison/Gibson if you can make it happen?

I think I do if I get a pick or another asset from Washington.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 08:47 PM   #1966
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yah, especially if you can get a draft pick included. It's a gamble, but maybe the time off will have proved good for Arena's injury woes and maybe he gets his head together.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:39 AM   #1968
Groundhog
Coordinator

I think Wizards would take on just about any contract shorter than Gilbert's current contract to get rid of him.

Cavs apparently looking at Sessions and Koufos from the Timberwolves. I have no strong feelings one way or the other re: Sessions - at the least, a decent backup PG, though it's not exactly our greatest need at the moment - but I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Koufos.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 AM   #1969
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

I don't know if anyone caught Summer League games, but Larry Sanders for the Bucks impressed me. He's pretty raw still, but damn does he have some athletic ability. He could easily turn into a 10+ rebound, 2+ block a night guy that causes havoc in the paint. Great pick for the Bucks at 15.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #1970
whomario
Pro Starter

agree, the 2 games i saw he looked highly intiguing

yahoo has been taking a turn to the worse lately, the Ball don´t lie blog under the new lead-blogger is utter crap theese days and the biased opinions overall are getting old ...

Quote:

Rookie center DeMarcus Cousins(notes) played well inside and out. He hit the midrange shot, passed well and already commanded double-teams.
The No. 5 overall pick also quieted questions about his maturity. He accepted constructive criticism and showed some leadership on Sacramento’s summer league team.

seriously ? I saw his 2nd, 5th and 6th game and he did look impatient on offense (forced a ton of bad shots, little willingness to pass the ball back out and when he did looked terrible at it) and slow on defense and looked winded a lot.
There´s a reason he shot 33% overall and played significantly worse and looked more tired as the week went on (shot 5-18, 3-15 and 1-12 in his last 3 games, holy ...)

I know it´s just summer league, but just because he averaged 15/10 he didn´t have a good week.
“The only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!”
whomario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:37 AM   #1971
wade moore
lolzcat

Quote:
I don't know if anyone caught Summer League games, but Larry Sanders for the Bucks impressed me. He's pretty raw still, but damn does he have some athletic ability. He could easily turn into a 10+ rebound, 2+ block a night guy that causes havoc in the paint. Great pick for the Bucks at 15.

Following the CAA heavily, I've seen Sanders a lot - live like 5 or 6 times, etc.

If he puts his full effort in, he could be very successful. His biggest downfalls in college were attitude and lack of effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subby
Maybe I am just getting old though, but I am learning to not let perfect be the enemy of the very good...

Last edited by wade moore : 07-19-2010 at 07:37 AM.
wade moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #1972
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley aren't impressed with LeBron - Ball Don't Lie - NBA* - Yahoo! Sports

Then again, I'm not surprised.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #1973
Noop
Bonafide Seminole Fan

I respect Jordan and doing the what if game in regard to his career is pointless. I don't blame LeBron for wanting to win a few titles and removing himself from the list of players who were great but have no ring.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 AM   #1974
Anthony
Banned

why isn't anyone calling out Charles Barkley for his last season, when he, oh, i don't know, JOINED THE TWO-TIME CHAMPION HOUSTON ROCKETS TO PLAY WITH OLAJUWON AND DREXLER?!?!? lol. yes, pot, that kettle is indeed black.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #1975
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
why isn't anyone calling out Charles Barkley for his last season, when he, oh, i don't know, JOINED THE TWO-TIME CHAMPION HOUSTON ROCKETS TO PLAY WITH OLAJUWON AND DREXLER?!?!? lol. yes, pot, that kettle is indeed black.

The key there is it was Barkley's last season. This is LeBron still in his prime.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 AM   #1976
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVic View Post
The key there is it was Barkley's last season. This is LeBron still in his prime.

Indeed. And Barkley is right, if you're the current back-to-back MVP, you don't leave. Players come to you.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #1977
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post

Barkley ring chased toward the end of their career. (Karl Malone did late in his career as well) He was traded to Houston and then signed an extension. Clyde was also traded to Houston and signed an extension BTW.

At the time Barkley was traded to Houston, Barkley was 33, Hakeem 34 and Drexler 34. Hakeem was the only one of the trio to be in the top 3 all NBA teams. (he only made first team because Shaq was injured and played in only 51 games)

So no, I don't think Barkley is the pot calling the kettle anything. He did ring chase. He didn't do it when he was in the prime of his career.

Ewing, Reggie Miller, Wilkins, Stockton, Gervin, Mullen, etc didn't ever ring chase. Michael won a title in his 7th year, never ring chased. Hakeem won his first 10 years in. Robinson was in his 6th year.

The players in that era either chased when the clock was clearly ticking or they simply stayed with their teams. This isn't saying anything about Lebron, he didn't break any laws, he can do what he wants. But this IS an unprecedented move.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #1978
Anthony
Banned

ok, so Barkley didn't do it in his prime, but he ring chased nonetheless. some can say that if Barkley was gonna ring chase he was better off doing it when he had the best chance of winning a ring and not when he was 34. would that Houston championship in his last season been any more valuable than Lebron joining forces and winning a championship in his prime? ppl would always tell Barkley "yeah, but you won your only ring by playing with 2 all-time top 50 players on the tail-end of your career. it's not like you won a ring in '93 with the Suns." how is that any different than "Lebron - you only won your 3 rings by jumping ship to Miami. you never won in Cleveland." it's all the same.

this is like Barkley telling Lebron "you are a fool for drinking and driving, you coulda killed someone" and LBJ replying "you did the same thing last nite" and Barkley saying "yeah, well, it was at 2 in the morning and no one was around so it doesn't count". who is Barkley to determine when its ok and not ok to do something when he did the same thing that LBJ did, only at a later age when his skills were diminished. and Barkley was on 3 teams - he left Philly in his prime to go to Phoenix. again, this is pot calling the kettle black. he can't turn around and say "yeah, but it was different when i did it so it doesn't count."

While its ok for Barkley to ring chase on his own terms, its ok for LBJ to join forces when he feels the time is right. i'm the furthest thing from the LBJ apologist, i actually wish failure on his career now, but i'm just saying Barkley isn't the best person to cast judgement. maybe LBJ said "i wanna get a ring, i don't want to be Malone or Barkley or Ewing - i might as well join forces now while i have the skills to get it done than wait until the last 2 or 3 yrs of my career and i'm a shell of my former self and playing 3rd or 4th fiddle to some young upstart."

Last edited by Anthony : 07-19-2010 at 12:02 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:15 PM   #1979
molson
General Manager

ESPN Green-Lights 'The Decision' For 22 More Episodes
July 17, 2010

BRISTOL, CT—ESPN president George Bodenheimer announced Wednesday that the hour-long program The Decision, a melodrama about NBA superstar LeBron James declaring his intention to join the Miami Heat, has been green-lighted for an additional 22 episodes. "The pilot episode was obviously very gripping, as nearly 10 million people tuned in, but the series is going to have an expanded cast of characters and mostly take place on South Beach," Bodenheimer said. "Viewers will be captivated by how the decision affects LeBron as well as by a number of new decisions he'll have to make every week, like whether or not to save a drowning fan, apply suntan lotion to David Stern's back, or let one of his teammates chase down a loose ball. And don't worry, just like in the original, each episode will feature an hour of LeBron sitting on his stool and answering questions posed by a different guest star." Bodenheimer, who called The Decision daring and innovative, confirmed that either Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade will likely be killed off in the season finale.

Last edited by molson : 07-19-2010 at 12:15 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #1980
Groundhog
Coordinator

So I guess your 2010-11 Miami Heat are:

PG: Arroyo(Assuming he re-signs) / Chalmers (Chalmers might be better suited for the spot-up 3pt shooting role)
SG: Wade / Miller
SF: LeBron / Miller (Jones)
PF: Bosh / Haslem
C: Anthony / Z

Then you've got Magloire and Juwan Howard too. Lots of C/PFs, though most of them about 3+ years outside their prime. Anthony/Haslem/Z could all potentially start. Bosh could slide to C and move Miller into the starting 5. Pittman has also signed for 3 years apparently, giving them 7 bigs on the roster, I guess they hope Pittman can step in and replace some of the old guys in another season or two.

Better depth than I figured they'd end up with, but the big 3 all still going to need to stay healthy and log big minutes. Still, I'd say it unfortunately looks like a good enough roster to win it all.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:26 PM   #1981
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
July 17, 2010

BRISTOL, CT—ESPN president George Bodenheimer announced Wednesday that the hour-long program The Decision, a melodrama about NBA superstar LeBron James declaring his intention to join the Miami Heat, has been green-lighted for an additional 22 episodes. "The pilot episode was obviously very gripping, as nearly 10 million people tuned in, but the series is going to have an expanded cast of characters and mostly take place on South Beach," Bodenheimer said. "Viewers will be captivated by how the decision affects LeBron as well as by a number of new decisions he'll have to make every week, like whether or not to save a drowning fan, apply suntan lotion to David Stern's back, or let one of his teammates chase down a loose ball. And don't worry, just like in the original, each episode will feature an hour of LeBron sitting on his stool and answering questions posed by a different guest star." Bodenheimer, who called The Decision daring and innovative, confirmed that either Chris Bosh or Dwyane Wade will likely be killed off in the season finale.

Old 07-19-2010, 10:13 PM   #1982
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
July 17, 2010

The saddest part is how far ESPN has fallen. It took me halfway through the paragraph to realize it was a joke.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #1983
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

The Bulls send a 2011 2nd Rd Pick to the Warriors for PG CJ Watson.

I think it's a solid pickup, and a better than average backup.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Neuqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:44 PM   #1984
Groundhog
Coordinator

Yup, CJ Watson is a steal for just a 2nd rounder.

I'm kinda interested to see if Jeremy Lin earns a contract. Dude was impressive in summer league play. I think he's got NBA game, kinda reminds me of Goran Dragovic.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #1985
Groundhog
Coordinator

Cool story on David Lee, one of my favourite players even before reading this article. Honestly, I'd rather have him as starting PF on my team over Amar'e:

On Basketball - Traded by Knicks, David Lee Was Still a Team Player - NYTimes.com

Quote:
Traded by Knicks, Lee Was Still a Team Player
By HARVEY ARATON

Published: July 19, 2010

When Marni Jaffer was about to deliver her husband’s eulogy to a crowd of 300-plus mourners, she noticed a familiar face rising above the others in the back of the funeral chapel. She had never met the man, but she recognized him from her television screen.

It was David Lee, formerly of the Knicks.

“I thought it was wonderful that he came,” Jaffer said. “And it also struck me how he stayed in the back, paying his respects quietly, not wanting to have people say, ‘Oh, it’s David Lee,’ and intrude on my husband’s moment.”

The funeral for Scott Jaffer, a longtime N.B.A. security official whose primary post was Madison Square Garden, was held July 11. Lee had been in St. Louis, his hometown, after being dealt by the Knicks to the Golden State Warriors in a sign-and-trade transaction that was announced soon after LeBron James’s all-about-me ESPN extravaganza.

Expected back in New York the next week for a basketball camp, Lee was stunned to hear that Jaffer, 63, had died.

“The guy took care of our security stuff, drug testing, things like that,” Lee said in a telephone interview. “He couldn’t do enough for us, joked with us every night, and it turned out he had cancer for three years and not one of us knew about it.”

After five years in New York, Lee had one final act of hustle on behalf of the Knicks, flying into town on Saturday night and getting in his car Sunday morning for a one-hour drive to Airmont, N.Y., from his apartment on Manhattan’s West Side.

He knew much of the Knicks’ basketball staff would be working at the summer league in Las Vegas and he wanted to make sure that the team — given its extreme state of transition — would be represented.
The same team, of course, that could not wait to replace him with its latest high-end acquisition, Amar’e Stoudemire.

When word circulated through the Knicks’ organization that Lee had attended Scott Jaffer’s funeral, few people could have been surprised. In February, after the death of Dick McGuire, a beloved Knicks organizational lifer, Lee was the only player to attend the funeral.

Weeks later, when the franchise celebrated the 40th anniversary of its 1970 championship team with a halftime ceremony, Lee was the lone Knick to come out of the locker room to watch from courtside.

Despite playing what he called “my worst game of the season” that night against Milwaukee, Lee chose to savor long conversations with Willis Reed and Bill Bradley, who told him that he had many of the qualities that they associated with their teams of four decades past.

“That was pretty amazing to me,” said Lee, who at that point clung to the hope of remaining in New York. By July, it was more wishful thinking.
“People talk about how much they want good citizens, guys who are committed to an organization and a city,” said Mark Bartelstein, Lee’s agent.

“At the end of the day, it is what it is, the hypocrisy of the whole world of sports.”

The case of Lee, the Knicks’ best and most popular player, should also put into context the allegations of disloyalty against James when he left the Cleveland Cavaliers. Organizations do what they think is best for them, too, without having to say they’re sorry.

The departure of Lee became a footnote to the free-agent fallout generated by the decisions of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh to make Miami their collaborative playground. “He averaged 20 points and almost 12 rebounds, and it got swept under the rug,” Bartelstein said.

Timing is everything, and Lee’s was not good from the day he arrived in New York as the 30th and final first-round draft pick in 2005.

“The biggest regret was not having a chance to be part of a stable, winning team,” he said. “Forty-nine players and three coaches have come and gone. That’s not to blame anyone, but those were the facts.”

The overwhelming N.B.A. consensus is that Stoudemire is a stronger, more dynamic player than Lee, who improved every year — especially his jump shot — but has made one All-Star team and has never appeared in a playoff game. Even Lee noted that the Knicks, who gave Stoudemire a five-year deal worth nearly $100 million, had to make a statement after two years of readying themselves for a bid on James.

“People might say, why did they pay Amar’e $100 million?” Lee said. “Well, if LeBron had come, then you’d have to say that he would have been worth $500 million.”

But James did not come, which raises a fair question: if the Knicks do not land Carmelo Anthony or another star within the next two seasons, will Stoudemire — for a lot more money — be as much of a committed company man as Lee?

Not Lee’s problem anymore. Out West, he will play his natural position, power forward, alongside a defensive-minded center, Andris Biedrins, for the first time. He will run a million pick-and-rolls with the Warriors’ talented young guards Stephen Curry and Monta Ellis.

With the Warriors changing ownership, from Chris Cohan to the Boston Celtics minority partner Joe Lacob and the Mandalay Entertainment chief executive Peter Guber, Lee is convinced it is a team on the rise.
“I don’t look at us at rebuilding,” he said. “We have a young nucleus in place.”

This week, Lee is trying to play his way onto the United States team — against Stoudemire, who is also in the mix — that will compete in the world championships beginning Aug. 28 in Turkey. If he makes it, Lee will be back in the Garden next month for an exhibition game against France.

Walking the streets of Manhattan last week was a gratifying experience, he said. “I’ve heard this a lot — ‘We’re sorry to see you go,’ ” Lee said.

Marni Jaffer said that if her husband could have chosen one Knicks player to attend his funeral, he would have picked David Lee.

“Scott played basketball when he was younger,” she said. “He knew the game and he loved David Lee, talked about him all the time. He was a big fan.”

He was not alone, but now Lee, a Warrior, has moved on, all in the name of progress.
Old 07-20-2010, 12:27 AM   #1986
bhlloy
Coordinator

Lin will definitely earn a contract, even if it's only to play in the D-league this year. The Lakers and the Mavs are absolutely in love with him and will pick him up if they get a chance, but he might be better trying to find a situation where he can fight for a backup spot.

And agreed, Lee is by far and away one of my favorite players in the league. I'd rather have him on my team than Amare too. He might not get 30 a night but he does all the little things that make a team successful (and yes I recognize the irony of saying this about a guy who has only ever played for the Knicks ) If I had an established scorer or two and wanted a guy to put in the frontcourt to go with them he'd be at the top of my list.

Last edited by bhlloy : 07-20-2010 at 12:28 AM.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:09 AM   #1987
MrBug708
Head Coach

So Chris Paul wants to be traded to Orlando, New York, or the Lakers.

Bynum/Ebanks/Walton/Vujacic/Cash/picks works for Paul/Okafor
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:57 AM   #1988
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

I feel good about the NBA knowing players like Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose are spearheading the next generation.

Here are back to back interviews with Derrick as he's trying to make Team USA.

Quote:
I caught up with Bulls guard Derrick Rose at practices with Team USA as the squad prepares for the World Championships in Turkey this September.

Q: What have you been up to this summer since the last time we talked to you a couple months ago?

DR: A lot. I've just been working on my game. Hopefully, you see it. I've just been working on my shot, getting everything better and it's coming along.

Q: You and [assistant coach] Randy Brown are always working on your long-distance game after practice, but do you feel as confident as you ever have that you can start of the season draining 3s?

DR: I think that I can. The way that I've been shooting the ball lately, it's pretty good. I've got a lot more confidence and that's all you need and hopefully they drop.

Q: Is your long-range shot the one thing you've focused on most this summer?

DR: Definitely. Just working on my shot. I know that if I extend that, I'll be a tough player to guard in the NBA and it will open other people up.

Q: Free agency is obviously still going on -- what do you think of the moves that you guys have made up to this point?

DR: I think we made the right moves. We got [Carlos] Boozer for the half-court game in the playoffs. The fast paced game is not always going to be on your side, so we got somebody we can throw it to in the post. With [Ronnie] Brewer and with [Kyle] Korver, [they are] just guys that like running, shooting, athletic slashers and C.J. Watson who just signed, he's a guy who can run the one and the two. And he's the type of player where he's smart. I hear he's a good guy and we need him.

Q: Are you looking forward to working the pick-and-roll with Boozer all season long. Have you talked to him about it?

DR: (Laughs) I wouldn't say all season long, but as long as they want me to I'm going to do it.

Q: Let's set the record straight now: Did you talk to LeBron at all over the course of the last couple months?

DR: I texted him. I texted him a little bit, but didn't really do any recruiting. I really didn't know what was going on. I think he didn't know what was going on until the end. [James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh] were just having fun being recruited and they're the type of people that like it.

Q: Do you regret that at all not going out more and calling him and putting more of a recruiting pitch together for him? Do you care how that is perceived?

DR: I wouldn't say that. If anyone knows me, especially in my hometown, they know that I don't like being in the public like that or getting all the attention like that. To me I think it was a no-brainer, so he made the decision.

Q: A no-brainer for him to come to Chicago?

DR: Yeah.

Q: Were you surprised he didn't come to Chicago?

DR: Yeah, but the season must continue. It's just going to be fun. The [Eastern Conference] is just going to be fun this year, but it's going to be tough.

Q: Did you talk to Wade or Bosh at all?

DR: I talked to Bosh, I didn't talk to Wade.

Q: When you talked to Bosh did you get the sense that he was coming to Chicago?

DR: A little bit. A little bit, then he went to Miami, so it must have been something else.

Q: I know how competitive you are, how much are you now looking forward to facing the Heat?

DR: I can't wait. Great players playing great games, show up in great games. For a game, for them to all be on that team it's going to be ... every time they play somebody's going to be chasing them.

Q: There was so much made of free agency, is there a part of you now that's even more comfortable and confident knowing that this is now your team for as long as you play in Chicago, especially since another big name didn't come in?

DR: I wouldn't say that. It makes me feel a little bit better that they really believe in me and have trust in me about decisions that they make. It just means a lot man. A little guy coming from the southside of Chicago got his own team. It shows that just hard work and dedication really pays off.

Q: Do you feel at all like you've taken that mantle over for Michael now?

DR: Noooo. (Laughs) I'm not even near him, not in the same shoes as him, not even close to him. Not even be mentioned with his name. Not yet. Until I win a couple of championships, so until that day, that's when you could even mention my name with his.

Q: In terms of being the face of the Chicago Bulls though, you know that's you now going forward ...

DR: Yeah, I know that. It should be a good thing. It's something I'm not scared of. That's why you play the game.

Q: Did you see the comments he made at the golf tournament on Sunday about how he wouldn't have called up Magic [Johnson] and Larry [Bird] about playing on the same team?

DR: (Shakes head) Honestly? Are you for real?

Q: (Explains story) In other words, do you want to be the guy on your team?

DR: Yeah, why wouldn't I want to be. That's the point of playing the game. That's the greatest thing right now. I came to a team where they didn't make the playoffs, not for a couple of years. No one was really interested in the Bulls like that in Chicago, not like [it was]. And I'm making it back exciting. I'm from Chicago, it would mean a lot if I would just bring back one championship there. Or even get past the first round, the city would go crazy. So for me to even bring that team back to like the old days, it would mean so much to this city.

Q: Is there an amount of personal pride that goes into that since, like you said, you are a Chicago kid?

DR: Yeah, I want to be that guy. I want to be that guy that does that.

Q: In other words, you don't want to be mentioned with Jordan, but you want to fill his shoes?

DR: Yeah, I want to be that guy. I want to be the reason why the Bulls are back to what they were 10, 12 years ago or something like that.

Q: What has your brief experience with coach [Tom] Thibodeau been like up to this point?

DR: He's been good with me. He's a guy who's a workaholic, staying in the office all day. I'll go shoot in the morning, he's always in the office all the way 'til 10 o'clock, 11 o'clock at night and he knows his stuff.

Q: Have you guys already had a couple late-night film sessions?

DR: (Laughs) Nah, it wasn't anything like that, but he called me at a decent hour and it was fine.
Our Deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:58 AM   #1989
Neuqua
Pro Rookie

And from earlier today..

Quote:
LAS VEGAS – As Cleveland Cavaliers fans continue to deal with the fallout from losing their hometown hero LeBron James, Bulls fans will be happy to know the mind set of Chicago native Derrick Rose on his future.

"I'm never [leaving]," he said, before punctuating that statement a few seconds later. "Never."

The Bulls’ 21-year-old All-Star made that clear during a conversation with me on Wednesday afternoon before Day 2 of Team USA's training camp. The South Side native doesn't want to ever play anywhere besides Chicago.

After all the free-agent ups and downs Bulls fans have endured over the last couple of months, that declaration may be the best thing they've heard all summer.

Here is the rest of my interview with Rose prior to Wednesday's practice:

How are you feeling heading into Day 2?

Derrick Rose: I'm a little sore, but I'm going to try to fight through it. If anything, [I'm] going to go out there and play hard and let them know that it's going to be a challenge.

It was picture day today at camp, what's it like knowing that you're not only one of the best players in the country, but one of the best players in the world?

DR: (Laughs) Don't say that, man. I'm not even near that. Hopefully, one day I will be that person, but right now I'm just trying to learn. It's my third year playing in the NBA. If anything, I'm just trying to get my feet wet a little bit and I guess continue to do good.

Yeah, but you're being too modest. I know you know that you are on the US National team and understand [what that represents] …

DR: Yeah, but I'm a candidate for it. I'm not on it yet. I'm a candidate for it and I'm happy and my family's happy, so it makes me feel good.

[On Tuesday] we talked about you being the face of the Bulls. Do you feel like you can become one of the faces of the US team going forward?

DR: That would be an honor. It would be an honor even to be on the team. But to be a face of the USA team it would mean a lot. A lot of hard work I've been putting in this game. A lot of sacrifice and dedication. It would let me know that I can put my goals up even higher.

Jason Kidd said what you don't want to say right now, which is that you can become the face of this team. Have you gotten a chance to pick his brain a little bit since you've been out here?

DR: Not yet. [We've] been busy. We're busy people. They're busy trying to see which team they're going to put together, and I'm busy working out, enjoying myself, trying to play the game, meeting guys and stuff like that. Hopefully, we'll have to see about that.

What does it mean to have him here, considering he's gone through a lot of the same stuff you'll be going through?

DR: It means a lot, especially for someone like that to even notice you, or even say that they're going to talk to you about the game. He's a guy who's put a lot of years in this league and been successful all the years he's played in the league, so why not look up to him? He's a future Hall of Famer.

I saw Coach K pull you aside a couple times [on Tuesday] and offer you some advice, what has your experience with him been like?

DR: He's a cool coach. He's got a sense of humor and he really knows basketball. He loves basketball to death, and I would love to play for him.

Winning an NBA title in Chicago or winning a gold medal in the Olympics if you were to make the team -- which one would you rather have?

DR: (Laughs) Oh man. Are you serious? At home. I would have to say at home. We've been waiting for it for a long time, and that's something that the city would never forget, and that's my hometown.

How much different is it putting on the US jersey compared to putting on a Bulls jersey, knowing that you are a hometown kid in Chicago?

DR: It's quite different. When you come out here it's not like a home game where you've got family and friends there. You're really out here by yourself, and guys I've been playing with since high school, you're really getting to know each other and playing with each other and jelling to win something … this is a special place to play, [special] team to play for too, and I would love to win a championship for this team too.

You and Kevin Durant are close friends. Is it nice finally being on a team with him as opposed to having to try and guard him?

DR: Oh yeah. We're real cool friends. He's a workoholic. A modest guy, humble, so why not be friends with him?

I know you're not big on recruiting, but have you mentioned to any of these guys that Chicago may be a good fit down the line?

DR: Oh, I told you man, just give me a couple … No, no, no. We're good right now. Forget that. We're straight right now with the team that we have. Probably later on, 10 or something years from now down the line, but right now we're fine the way we are right now.

You're never leaving Chicago, are you?

DR: I'm never [leaving] … never.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:42 AM   #1990
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBug708 View Post

God this league is filled with pussies.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #1991
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

That's fine, but if something like that goes through, I'm giving the NBA my 2 weeks notice for awhile anyways.

Last edited by stevew : 07-22-2010 at 02:01 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 AM   #1992
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuqua View Post
I feel good about the NBA knowing players like Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose are spearheading the next generation.

Here are back to back interviews with Derrick as he's trying to make Team USA.
I love Derrick. The one great thing to come out of this is that the team will be his and can be built around him. From everything I've read, he's been working his ass off this offseason and has added a 3-point shot.

Really looking forward to this season.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #1993
Groundhog
Coordinator

Quote:

Hornets would be stupid to make that trade. Might as well just move the guy for a trade exception. Lakers would have to throw in Gasol to get Paul IMO.

I think they can actually afford to move Paul, given how good Collison looked last season. He's not at Paul's level at this stage (maybe never will be), but he's good enough and Paul would bring back some much needed depth.
Old 07-22-2010, 02:11 AM   #1994
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

snip
Quote:
Q: (Explains story) In other words, do you want to be the guy on your team?

DR: Yeah, why wouldn't I want to be. That's the point of playing the game. That's the greatest thing right now.

Hmm, I could have sworn the point of playing the game was to win, not to get your ego stroked.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 AM   #1995
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Cheer up Jon, your center worries are over. The great 6-9" Josh Powell is ready to do some damage in the paint for your Atlanta Hawks.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #1996
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cheer up Jon, your center worries are over. The great 6-9" Josh Powell is ready to do some damage in the paint for your Atlanta Hawks.

I saw that, I'm sure he'll be the answer to all their problems.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:35 AM   #1997
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Well until Shaq gets into game shape.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #1998
bhlloy
Coordinator

If the Lakers can pull that trade, then you might as well go to a 2 team NBA. At the very least they are giving up Gasol and a first. This is (pre-injury) the best PG in the entire fricking league. If the Lakers can get him for Bynum and junk, I'm going to start believing those conspiracy theories. That would be a disaster for the league.

Is anybody in the league more overrated in trade talks by his own fans than Bynum? He's young and big, but also expensive, his knees mean he might not have much time left and he's still not playing up to his potential. He wasn't good enough to get Bosh and he's nowhere near good enough as the centerpiece of any trade to get Chris Paul.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:39 AM   #1999
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

No offense, Bug, but that's like some of those serious oddball deals you see tossed out there all the time on fan forums that are just nuts. No way does New Orleans move a superstar and a good player for one other good player and a bunch of crap.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:47 AM   #2000
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
No offense, Bug, but that's like some of those serious oddball deals you see tossed out there all the time on fan forums that are just nuts. No way does New Orleans move a superstar and a good player for one other good player and a bunch of crap.
If they know they'll lose him in free agency, they might as well. They aren't going to win anything with him, so might as well build for the future.

I don't know how many teams can offer a good piece back for Paul. New York is a pipedream since they threw away all their first round picks to unload Jeffries and don't have anyone that is real enticing. The Clippers make a lot of sense and if I were them, I'd give up Gordon and Bledsoe to do it.