Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

View Poll Results: How is Obama doing? (poll started 6/6)
Great - above my expectations 18 6.87%
Good - met most of my expectations 66 25.19%
Average - so so, disappointed a little 64 24.43%
Bad - sold us out 101 38.55%
Trout - don't know yet 13 4.96%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #1951
KWhit
Coordinator

Obama hit by Republicans for New York night on the town. - Lynn Sweet

Below, release from the Republican National Committee...

PUTTING ON A SHOW
Obamas Wing Into The City For An Evening Out

While Another Iconic American Company

Prepares For Bankruptcy

Obama Says He Understands Americans' Economic Troubles

Obama: "There Are Still Too Many Americans Out Of Work, And Too Many Who Still Worry That Their Job May Be Next. There Are Still Too Many Families Struggling To Pay The Bills, And Too Many Businesses Struggling To Keep Their Doors Open." (President Barack Obama, Remarks At Nellis Air Force Base, Las Vegas, NV, 5/27/09)

Obama Said He Carried Stories Of Struggling Workers With Him To The White House. "We're talking about people who've lost their livelihood and don't know what will take its place. We're talking about parents who've lost their health care and lie awake at night praying their kids don't get sick. We're talking about families who've lost the home that was the corner, their foundation for their American dream, young people who put that college acceptance letter back in the envelope because they just can't afford it. That's what those numbers and statistics mean. That is the true measure of this economic crisis. Those are the stories I heard when I came to Elkhart six months ago, and those are the stories that I carried with me to the White House." (President Barack Obama, Remarks On The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, Elkhart, IN, 2/9/09)

But Wings Off To New York City For Night On The Town

President and Mrs. Obama Make "Personal Visit To New York" Tonight. "President Obama and his wife, Michelle, plan to visit New York City on Saturday and take in a Broadway show, the August Wilson play 'Joe Turner's Come and Gone' at the Belasco Theater on West 44th Street, according to three theater executives who have been informed of the First Family's plans. ... 'The president and the first lady will be making a personal visit to New York tomorrow,' said Bill Burton, a spokesman for the president, who declined to elaborate on the schedule." (Patrick Healy, "First Couple To Hit Broadway This Weekend," The New York Times' "The Caucus" Blog , 5/29/09)

While GM Prepares For Bankruptcy And Jobs Keep Disappearing

"General Motors Corp. (GM) Is Expected To File For Bankruptcy Protection Monday, The Government-Imposed Deadline For The 100-Year- Old Auto Maker To Restructure Itself Into A Viable Company." ("US Equities Week Ahead: GM Bankruptcy Filing; Jobs Report," CNNMoney.com , 5/29/09)

"Meanwhile, Economists Expect The U.S. Unemployment Rate To Climb To 9.2% For May; That Report Is Due Next Friday." ("US Equities Week Ahead: GM Bankruptcy Filing; Jobs Report," CNNMoney.com , 5/29/09)

Since President Obama Took Office, The U.S. Economy Has Lost Over 1 Million Jobs. (Bureau Of Labor Statistics Website, http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t01.htm, Accessed: 5/30/09)

Obama May Joke About Air Force One Joyrides

Obama: "Now Sasha And Malia Aren't Here Tonight Because They're Grounded. You Can't Just Take Air Force One On A Joy Ride To Manhattan. (Laughter.) I Don't Care Whose Kids You Are. (Laughter.)" (President Barack Obama, Remarks To The White House Correspondents Association Dinner, Washington, DC, 5/9/09)

* Click Here To Watch

But Americans Have Seen This Show Before

President Bill Clinton Blocked Two Runways At One Of World's Busiest Airports To Get His Hair Cut. "President Clinton got a full-blown $200 haircut from Beverly Hills' Monsieur Cristophe at Los Angeles International Airport while Air Force One idled for nearly an hour, blocking ground traffic a nd closing two runways." (Frank J. Murray, "Clinton Stops Traffic With Pricey New Cut," The Washington Times, 5/21/93)

PDF Format

A Product Of The RNC Research Department

Unsubscribe

Paid for by the Republican National Committee.
310 First Street SE, Washington, D.C. 20003 -
KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #1952
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

meh. I'm less impressed with the press release now that I read it. It really needed to highlight the cost of the trip rather than the trip itself in my opinion. Still, my previous take still stands: one press release, on a Saturday, does not mean the RNC is "focusing" on the trip. If it were on the front page of the RNC's website right now, that to me would indicate more of a focus.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:57 PM   #1953
Flasch186
Coordinator

MBBF, I dont expect a response. You fail to respond EVEN to items in which you're proven to be wrong ie. poll results so I wouldnt expect a response to something in which you can find a gray area like the definition of "vast". Respect is earned and while I used to respect you, you have done nothing to gain back ANY of the credibility you set fire to over the last few months culminating in your inability to recognize that a lighter colored roof would help the environment over a darker colored roof when this is the most basic simpleton science there is.

but continue on the path youre blazing....seems fun.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-02-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #1954
Flasch186
Coordinator

didnt know where to put this so Ill dump it in here:

this is a Holy-Shit moment for me since I remember some of the direct quotes and such from back in the day that I would yell, "Liar" at the TV about:

Cheney: No 'evidence' of Iraq, 9/11 link - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
Former Vice President Dick Cheney says there was “never any evidence” that Saddam Hussein’s Iraq played any role in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on New York and Washington.

“On the question of whether or not Iraq was involved in 9/11, there was never any evidence to prove that,” Cheney said during an interview Monday night with Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren.

“There was some reporting early on, for example, that Mohammed Atta had met with a senior Iraqi intelligence official,” Cheney said. “But that was never borne out.”

In a 2003 interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Cheney said that “the Czechs alleged that Mohamed Atta, the lead attacker, met in Prague with a senior Iraqi intelligence official five months before the attack.”

But Cheney added, “We’ve never been able to develop any more of that yet, either in terms of confirming it or discrediting it. We just don’t know.”

Cheney said Monday that former CIA Director George Tenet brought to the Bush White House information pertaining to potential links between the hijacker and Iraq as “it became available.” But Cheney pointed out that Tenet “did say and did testify that there was an ongoing relationship between al Qaeda and Iraq, but no proof that Iraq was involved in 9/11.”

The former vice president explained away the early uncertainty of the connection by insisting that intelligence gathering is “more an art form than a science,” pointing to several examples of past CIA failures.

The Politico 44 Story Widget Requires Adobe Flash Player. //
“They misread Saddam Hussein's intent when he invaded Kuwait in 1990,” Cheney said. “They underestimated the extent of the Iraqi program to try to acquire nuclear capability back in '90 and '91. They missed 9/11.”

Cheney did not list the never-found Iraqi weapons of mass destruction as an intelligence failure, saying only that the CIA and the broader intelligence community have done a “magnificent job as part of the effort to keep the United States safe these last seven and a half years.”

“The intelligence community has had some enormous successes in the last few years,” he said. “You usually don't hear about the successes. What you hear about are the train wrecks, the things that didn't work out quite right.”

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-02-2009 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 PM   #1955
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
meh. I'm less impressed with the press release now that I read it. It really needed to highlight the cost of the trip rather than the trip itself in my opinion. Still, my previous take still stands: one press release, on a Saturday, does not mean the RNC is "focusing" on the trip. If it were on the front page of the RNC's website right now, that to me would indicate more of a focus.
It was on their front page. It was also on every right wing site imagineable which meant it was worthy of being in their daily talking points.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #1956
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The President is not a normal guy. The President cannot be a normal guy. That's pretty sad, but we're long past the days where the Presidency is anywhere close to the life that a "normal" American can live.

As for the cost, you're forgetting a few things:

- seperate Gulfstream for staff

- seperate Gulfstream for press

- Transportation of Marine One

- transportation of presidential vehicles (which most likely required the use of a C-130, though I suppose it's possible that the Secret Service drove the vehicles up to NYC).

- overtime costs for security personnel (remember, this was a weekend trip, and many of the officers called in to provide traffic management in D.C., Maryland, and NYC would not have been on duty, but called in to earn time and a half.)

As I understand it, the $24,000 was an estimate from the New York Post, but the Daily Mail in England estimated $75,000. I've estimated $250,000, based on Air Force One's trip to NYC a few months ago. It's hard to know what the real figure is because the White House won't release the numbers.
The President isn't a normal person. He can't hop in a Honda Civic with the wife and head out on the town on his own. They are important figures with extra ordinary security.

I'm not sure what you're suggesting here either. That the President not be allowed to go on vacations or entertain themselves? Or are you suggesting they shouldn't have this high level of security and should just fly coach on Southwest Airlines like the rest of us? It costs tons of money for any President to go anywhere.

The costs are for security plain and simple. If you are against our President receiving security for their personal lives than fine. I would much rather our leaders be protected at all times, but I guess we all have different views.

Quote:
I know there are plenty of other things to focus on (which is amusing, since you comment about this rather than bring up one of the "more important things"), but people need to get off his ass? Realistically, if this were a Republican president we were talking about, don't you think you'd see Democrats complaining about the cost of the trip during a time of great economic uncertainty? You don't think Maureen Dowd or someone else would wonder how many unemployed people the President and the First Lady flew over on their way to their fancy dinner and Broadway show?

Since I've been alive, I can't remember a time when anyone really complained about the cost of security for our Presidents on their down time. I don't remember outrage by the GOP when Clinton would go on his morning jogs. Nor do I remember Democrat's sending out press releases everytime President Bush played golf on the taxpayer dime.

Last edited by RainMaker : 06-02-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #1957
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Gas pain will soon sneak up on everyone. Since we can't blame Bush, I guess the market is just working. Or whatever. I'm dreading having to spend 35 bucks per night on fuel again.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:45 PM   #1958
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
Gas pain will soon sneak up on everyone. Since we can't blame Bush, I guess the market is just working. Or whatever. I'm dreading having to spend 35 bucks per night on fuel again.

Fuel prices have the potential to put the breaks on any recovery. Of course we also have a serious problem with Alt-A mortgage recasts over the next two years. WEEEEE!
Old 06-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #1959
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Fuel prices have the potential to put the breaks on any recovery. Of course we also have a serious problem with Alt-A mortgage recasts over the next two years. WEEEEE!

Don't forget credit card companies trying to squeeze every dime out of people before they close out billions in credit as it's no longer as profitable when you can't rape consumers.

On NPR, they had a story last week about $1.2T in credit just disappearing over the next 2 years.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-02-2009 at 10:50 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #1960
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It's a nightmare for me cause I can't do anything to sweeten my contract. I don't even get a surcharge til 3.20. My job is still better than anything I can find but when you start breaking down expenses it just pisses you off.

I know most people cry about gas when its like 20 bucks per week more than they want to pay. I feel the pain more than that.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:00 AM   #1961
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The President is not a normal guy. The President cannot be a normal guy. That's pretty sad, but we're long past the days where the Presidency is anywhere close to the life that a "normal" American can live.

As for the cost, you're forgetting a few things:

- seperate Gulfstream for staff

- seperate Gulfstream for press

- Transportation of Marine One

- transportation of presidential vehicles (which most likely required the use of a C-130, though I suppose it's possible that the Secret Service drove the vehicles up to NYC).

- overtime costs for security personnel (remember, this was a weekend trip, and many of the officers called in to provide traffic management in D.C., Maryland, and NYC would not have been on duty, but called in to earn time and a half.)

As I understand it, the $24,000 was an estimate from the New York Post, but the Daily Mail in England estimated $75,000. I've estimated $250,000, based on Air Force One's trip to NYC a few months ago. It's hard to know what the real figure is because the White House won't release the numbers.

I know there are plenty of other things to focus on (which is amusing, since you comment about this rather than bring up one of the "more important things"), but people need to get off his ass? Realistically, if this were a Republican president we were talking about, don't you think you'd see Democrats complaining about the cost of the trip during a time of great economic uncertainty? You don't think Maureen Dowd or someone else would wonder how many unemployed people the President and the First Lady flew over on their way to their fancy dinner and Broadway show?

C'mon DT, you're smart...

i wouldn't be complaining. the guy deserves to be able to take his wife out to dinner and the theater, no matter his political orientation. I didn't complain about the costs associated with Bush's far more frequent jaunts, or the massive amounts of taxpayer-$$ spent making his Crawford-ranch into a "second White House".

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 06-03-2009 at 10:04 AM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:03 AM   #1962
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flasch186 View Post
didnt know where to put this so Ill dump it in here:

this is a Holy-Shit moment for me since I remember some of the direct quotes and such from back in the day that I would yell, "Liar" at the TV about:

Cheney: No 'evidence' of Iraq, 9/11 link - Yahoo! News

I agree. I saw this and I was like . Wow...so now you're out of office and you accomplished what you wanted to accomplish originally you're not even going to try to hide it anymore that you were lying?

I also found it amusing that (i think it was that same speech, in the Q+A part or something?) that he apparently said that he is pro gay-marriage, but feels it should be a state-by-state issue and not a federal one. Interesting that we never got a whiff of that while he was in office. Shame too. If I was his daughter I'd pillory him for being a schmuck and not saying that 6 or 7 years ago.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #1963
lungs
Pro Rookie

The way I see it, if Obama's little date nights get him laid more often it is worth it. I'd truly hate to have a President that is sexually frustrated. Clouds his judgment.

Obviously Clinton wasn't, it just had to come from another source than his wife (and I don't blame him).
lungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 AM   #1964
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
I agree. I saw this and I was like . Wow...so now you're out of office and you accomplished what you wanted to accomplish originally you're not even going to try to hide it anymore that you were lying?

I also found it amusing that (i think it was that same speech, in the Q+A part or something?) that he apparently said that he is pro gay-marriage, but feels it should be a state-by-state issue and not a federal one. Interesting that we never got a whiff of that while he was in office. Shame too. If I was his daughter I'd pillory him for being a schmuck and not saying that 6 or 7 years ago.

That article contradicts the quotes I've always seen attributed to Cheney, that he had affirmatively stated a connection in the past, it just says in 2003 he said:

"In a 2003 interview on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” Cheney said that “the Czechs alleged that Mohamed Atta, the lead attacker, met in Prague with a senior Iraqi intelligence official five months before the attack.”

But Cheney added, “We’ve never been able to develop any more of that yet, either in terms of confirming it or discrediting it. We just don’t know.”

So all he said was that the Czechs alleged this and we never confirmed it? Not exactly a "lie". Is there any other source where Cheney affirmatively said "yes, there's connections, we're sure of it", etc? As I've alleged her in the past, liberals can have a very, well, liberal definition of "lie" when it comes to politics. Though I'd be interested to see proof otherwise on Cheney.

And he's always been relatively gay-friendly, due to his daughter. That was well known I thought, back when he was in office. I don't know that "he never got a whiff of it" while he was in office, and I don't know what difference would that make anyway - what power would he have over state issues as VP? I guess he couldn't have had a bigger voice back then, but we all know that would never happen as long as he was actively involved in Republican party politics.

Last edited by molson : 06-03-2009 at 10:45 AM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #1965
Flasch186
Coordinator

well quickly this was from the debates:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheney
CHENEY: And we also then finally had to stand up democracies in their stead afterwards, because that was the only way to guarantee that these states would not again become safe harbors for terror, that they he had established relationships with Abu Nidal, who operated out of Baghdad; he paid $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers; and he had an established relationship with al Qaeda.

Concern about Iraq specifically focused on the fact that Saddam Hussein had been, for years, listed on the state sponsor of terror, that they he had established relationships with Abu Nidal, who operated out of Baghdad; he paid $25,000 to the families of suicide bombers; and he had an established relationship with al Qaeda.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #1966
molson
General Manager

Quote:
well quickly this was from the debates:

But saying Iraq had some kind of agreement with Abu Nidal (who wasn't implicated in 9/11, I don't think), is different than saying there's a "tie between Iraq and 9/11"

And I don't know anything aboutt Nidal beyond his wiki page, but it would appear that Iraq certainly gave him safe haven, when even Lybia would not (because it wanted to distance himself from terrorism).
Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM   #1967
Flasch186
Coordinator

oh I felt the established relationship with Al Qaeda was the big thing in that sentence.

FWIW this is on youtube which pretty much just puts video to what I said anyways:

and this is a link to a Cheney interview with Tim Russert where he insinuates all of the stuff....I guess you could parse words, like 'vast' to say he never actually used the sentence but I think it's pretty clearly stated:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3080244/

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL

Last edited by Flasch186 : 06-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:48 AM   #1968
molson
General Manager

Quote:
oh I felt the established relationship with Al Qaeda was the big thing in that sentence.

Fair enough, but the only "revelation" from Cheney is that he didn't think there was a 9/11-Iraq link. Which people are using as proof that he lied about that in the past.

I think at best, the administration could be seen as being misleading, and exagerating any known connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda. (I'm sure that there was SOME connection, as there probably is with every middle eastern country, but maybe not a hugely relevant one to American security interests)
Old 06-03-2009, 11:51 AM   #1969
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
Fair enough, but the only "revelation" from Cheney is that he didn't think there was a 9/11-Iraq link. Which people are using as proof that he lied about that in the past.

I think at best, the administration could be seen as being misleading, and exagerating any known connection between Iraq and Al Qaeda. (I'm sure that there was SOME connection, as there probably is with every middle eastern country, but maybe not a hugely relevant one to American security interests)

Well we can agree on the latter paragraph but I think that that intention to mislead and exaggerate is on equal terms to lying when youre the admin.

This was just a period on some moments I had a long long time ago and so when I read the article today it was like a 'ah ha!' moment for me in the living room...that's all.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #1970
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Well we can agree on the latter paragraph but I think that that intention to mislead and exaggerate is on equal terms to lying when youre the admin.

One can argue that they're on equal terms, but they're clearly not the same thing.

But it might be lying when people say that Cheney affirmed a known 9/11-Iraq link (or when they say he lied about it)

Or when people say the administration "lied" about the WMDs. That's a lie, unless we know that the administration knew that there was no weapons the whole time. One could have that opinion, of course, but it's a lie if it's not qualified as an opinion.

Last edited by molson : 06-03-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:08 PM   #1971
Flasch186
Coordinator

interesting view.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #1972
SFL Cat
College Starter

You might remember the huge big deal the main stream media made about George W. Bush going to Texas for working time off. However, when he was out of town, he was pictured hauling logs, clearing brush and working out. This President is more inclined to be photographed eating Wagyu steak and arugula, walking topless on beautiful Hawaiian beaches or joking with the main stream media (his base) about terrorism and economy. The celebrity President went out on the town while the country is suffering financial strain. He did it on the tax payer dime while asking the tax payers to pay more taxes and to cut back our spending. He’s deservedly getting some bad press for his bad timing. But, of course, he will always have his defenders, no matter what he does.

If he'd done his date night in DC...I think there's no problem...especially if he went back to the burger joint he and Biden went to.

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-03-2009 at 05:19 PM.
SFL Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #1973
SFL Cat
College Starter

Cool! Obama gets another chance to bow to the Saudi king!

Obama visits Saudi king on eve of key speech - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Obama visits Saudi king on eve of key speech

By JENNIFER LOVEN, AP White House Correspondent Jennifer Loven, Ap White House Correspondent – 25 mins ago
RIYADH, Saudi Arabia – Opening a mission to write a new chapter on Islam and the West, President Barack Obama consulted Wednesday with the Saudi king "in the place where Islam began," prelude to a high-stakes speech in Egypt meant to ease long-held Muslim grievances against the United States.

The son of a Kenyan Muslim who lived part of his childhood in Muslim-majority Indonesia, Obama planned what aides called a "truth-telling" address on Thursday, aimed directly at the world's 1.5 billion Muslims. Many harbor animosity toward the U.S. over its staunch support for Israel, its terrorist-fighting policies and the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. Many Americans, likewise, formed negative perceptions of the Muslim world after the 9/11 attacks.

In advance, Saudi King Abdullah staged a lavish welcome after Obama's all-night flight to Riyadh.

"I thought it was very important to come to the place where Islam began and to seek his majesty's counsel," Obama said. The president and the king talked in the splendor of Abdullah's sprawling retreat, a lush patch of searing desert.

The king, who was hosting Obama for an overnight stay, called his guest "a distinguished man who deserves to be in this position."

Birthplace of Islam, Saudi Arabia is still considered guardian of the faith as home to the holy cities of Medina and Mecca. The Sunni Arab powerhouse also sits on the world's largest oil reserves, buys billions in U.S. military equipment and has cooperated extensively with the U.S. on anti-terrorist operations.

As such, Obama's goals of opening what speechwriter Ben Rhodes called "a new chapter between the United States and the Muslim world" could hardly proceed without Saudi support. Obama also came asking for specific requests of help from Abdullah on a range of related issues, such as peace between the long-feuding Israelis and Palestinians, Iran's suspected efforts to build a nuclear bomb, rising Taliban extremism in Pakistan and a destination for some 100 Yemeni detainees now in the U.S. at the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, prison camp.

Denis McDonough, a deputy national security adviser to Obama, could not immediately say whether the president's requests were successful after meetings between the two leaders and their delegations that stretched over nearly four hours.

Abdullah showered Obama with compliments in the welcoming ceremonies and presented him with the King Abdul Aziz Order of Merit, a large medallion with a thick gold chain that is the kingdom's highest honor. "Those are only given to the very few friends of the king, and you are certainly one of those," Abdullah said.

"Goodness gracious," Obama said as an aide approached with the striking necklace. "That's something there." He said: "I consider the king's friendship a great blessing, and I am very appreciative that he would bestow this honor on me during this visit."

Obama had pledged during his presidential campaign to deliver a major address from an Islamic capital within 100 days of becoming president. He did so with a speech to the parliament in Turkey, a secular but overwhelmingly Muslim nation. The White House says his speech in Cairo, a center of Islamic thought and culture, is the one he had in mind in making that promise, and set high expectations for it.

Al-Qaida countered Obama's outreach. Osama bin Laden released an audio tape accusing Obama of inflaming hatred toward the U.S. by ordering Pakistan to crack down on militants in Swat Valley and block Islamic law there. His deputy, Ayman al-Zawahri, said "farcical visits or elegant words" in Cairo can't disguise "bloody messages" the U.S. sends to Muslims with its prosecution of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.

The message from bin Laden, the terrorist mastermind-in-hiding who was born in Saudi Arabia and directed the 2001 attacks that involved 15 hijackers from the desert monarchy, was broadcast by Al-Jazeera Television almost exactly as Obama's plane touched down in Riyadh.

"Americans have seen these types of threats before," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said in response. "This is much more an effort to try to upstage."

Aides spared no effort to ensure Obama's speech Thursday reaches a vast Muslim audience.

A special State Department Web site lets people everywhere register to receive and reply to speech highlights; Obama's remarks were to be played live on the White House Web site and translated into 13 languages; and excerpts were being distributed not only on the White House's dedicated YouTube page but also on special-event links on social networking sites such as MySpace, Twitter and Facebook, complete with live chatting opportunities.

In his speech, Obama does not intend to make new policy — but to frame it differently. By stressing both U.S. respect for Muslims and the need for all sides, including Washington, to make changes, the president hopes to start setting relations between the U.S. and the Muslim world down a more constructive path even while some disagreements persist.

"There's been a breach, an undeniable breach, between America and the Islamic world," senior adviser David Axelrod said.

"That breach has been years in the making. It's not going to be reversed with one speech — it's not going to be reversed, perhaps, in one administration. But the president is a strong believer in open, honest dialogue."

The centerpiece of the speech is the Israeli-Palestinian dispute, a driving force behind Muslim anger worldwide. Obama was prepared to discuss in some detail what needs to be done to resolve it," though by urging all sides to meet obligations already agreed upon, Rhodes said.

That includes calling for a full halt to all growth in Jewish settlements in the Palestinian West Bank, the subject of a striking rift between the U.S. and Israel in recent days. It also includes telling Palestinians that anti-Israel rhetoric, and the violence it spawns, does not benefit their daily lives. Obama also was to call on his hosts, Saudi Arabia and Egypt, as well as other Arab nations, to put actual money behind their rhetorical support for the struggling Palestinian government of Mahmoud Abbas. Obama also wants to persuade Arab allies, particularly Saudi Arabia, to make conciliatory diplomatic moves toward Israel.

The president also was to explain the U.S. goals in Iraq, Afghanistan and Iran.

And he wasn't going to shy away from a hot topic — the fact that he was to speak from Egypt, which has been under the iron rule of President Hosni Mubarak for nearly 30 years.

Obama planned to salute Egypt's historically positive role in Mideast peacemaking, while also talking about the need for a better democratic and human rights model. In one gesture, organizers made sure that members of Egypt's main opposition movement, the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood, would be in the audience at Cairo University.

The president also planned to talk "with a sense of candor" about U.S. policy that has largely shunned armed militias that have won elections in the Arab world, such as Hamas in the Palestinian territories and Hezbollah in Lebanon, Rhodes said.

Old 06-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #1974
SFL Cat
College Starter

Barack Hussein Obama: US "one of the largest Muslim countries in the world"

Well, I guess I'd better start looking for a good Muslim name. I've always been partial to Yusef. Maybe I'll send the little lady out shopping for burkhas too!

Last edited by SFL Cat : 06-03-2009 at 10:15 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #1975
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Between this and the birth certificate I think you're really on to something.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:24 PM   #1976
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFL Cat View Post

Well, I guess I'd better start looking for a good Muslim name. I've always been partial to Yusef. Maybe I'll send the little lady out shopping for burkhas too!

On NPR, they mentioned that we're something like 37th in the world so he's not quite right there.

SI

Old 06-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #1977
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Dude, isn't your local Klan meeting tonight? Seriously, we get it.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:31 PM   #1978
Flasch186
Coordinator

its a blog.

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #1979
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He did say it, tho. Again, NPR reported him as having said it so I think that's a pretty safe bet it's true

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-03-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:33 PM   #1980
lungs
Pro Rookie

I still would have voted for Obama had I known he was a communist Muslim that isn't even a citizen.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #1981
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapshoot View Post
Dude, isn't your local Klan meeting tonight? Seriously, we get it.

Yeah, you gonna be there?!!!!!!!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:36 PM   #1982
SFL Cat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungs View Post
I still would have voted for Obama had I known he was a communist Muslim that isn't even a citizen.

Doesn't say much for you. Ever considered moving to North Korea? Sounds like your kinda place!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #1983
lungs
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Doesn't say much for you. Ever considered moving to North Korea? Sounds like your kinda place!

I prefer the Islamic Republic of Iran.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 PM   #1984
SFL Cat
College Starter

Cool...you need to bone up on your geography, so you can bow toward Mecca during prayer time.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #1985
Flasch186
Coordinator

so he got the stat wrong?

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #1986
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
so he got the stat wrong?

Yeah, on NPR they were talking about how they were using the CIA World Factbook and it turns out we're something like 37th or 39th in the world. We're not exactly in the top... um... 30? Doesn't sound very impressive.

SI

Old 06-03-2009, 11:00 PM   #1987
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, on NPR they were talking about how they were using the CIA World Factbook and it turns out we're something like 37th or 39th in the world. We're not exactly in the top... um... 30? Doesn't sound very impressive.

Yeah, I heard that story as well. Of course it was part of a greater story about a number of things being done to try to improve relations with the Muslim world, but was worth a mention.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #1988
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Come on, that's at least good enough for an 8 or 9 seed.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:02 PM   #1989
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
Yeah, I heard that story as well. Of course it was part of a greater story about a number of things being done to try to improve relations with the Muslim world, but was worth a mention.

Yeah, it was a footnote in the story about the huge speech tomorrow.

SI

Old 06-03-2009, 11:06 PM   #1990
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Cool...you need to bone up on your geography, so you can bow toward Mecca during prayer time.
Shouldn't we keep the focus on the gays and Mexicans?

I have problems with the statement by Obama, but not for the xenophobic reasons SFL Cat does. I just don't like labeling the country things based on religion. Calling it one of the largest Muslim countries or one of the largest Christian countries bode equally negative to me. It poses a stereotype for what our country is.

Pointing out that the country has millions of Muslims is important and I think the speech and motives behind it are good. I just don't like when any President labels the country something.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:08 PM   #1991
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
Come on, that's at least good enough for an 8 or 9 seed.

Yeah, but that leads to a second round matchup with someone like India and Pakistan. Good luck winning that game

SI

Last edited by sterlingice : 06-03-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #1992
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Quote:

If he'd done his date night in DC...I think there's no problem...especially if he went back to the burger joint he and Biden went to.

Which one? Clearly you don't live in DC -- he has been to at least 4 or 5 of the popular burger joints in DC and there's a local media storm every time.

We Get It: Obama Likes Burgers - DCist: Washington DC News, Food, Arts & Events

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #1993
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainMaker View Post
Shouldn't we keep the focus on the gays and Mexicans?

I have problems with the statement by Obama, but not for the xenophobic reasons SFL Cat does. I just don't like labeling the country things based on religion. Calling it one of the largest Muslim countries or one of the largest Christian countries bode equally negative to me. It poses a stereotype for what our country is.

Pointing out that the country has millions of Muslims is important and I think the speech and motives behind it are good. I just don't like when any President labels the country something.

Looking at the quote, I don't think Obama labeled the country based on religion.

"And one of the points I want to make is, is that if you actually took the number of Muslim Americans, we'd be one of the largest Muslim countries in the world. And so there's got to be a better dialogue and a better understanding between the two peoples."

Also in the article:

Obama said in Turkey that Americans "do not consider ourselves a Christian nation or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation".

I don't see what the problem is. How many countries are there, almost 200? High 30's might be a stretch, but doesn't seem like much to hang your hat on IMO. Might as well argue with the second part.

Also in the article:

John McCain was criticised in 2007 for saying the US was "a Christian nation", later amending this to "a Judeo-Christian valued nation".

Oh, I guess someone has already tried that.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #1994
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Yeah, but that leads to a second round matchup with someone like India and Pakistan. Good luck winning that game

Depends. Are we playing cricket?
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #1995
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

The whole "date night" thing reminded me of an article I read a while ago in the NYT, about how much the Obamas have been out on the town in DC, so I thought I'd post it:

Quote:
IT has been only two months since the Obamas moved into the White House, but here in the nation’s capital, some people are already asking: Have you bumped into your president and first lady yet?

This is no idle question. During the Bush years, Washington got used to a homebody president who preferred bringing friends into the Executive Mansion to venturing outside it. But these days, President Obama and his wife, Michelle, are popping up all over this city.

Like basketball? There was Mr. Obama sitting courtside recently alongside astonished fans at the Verizon Center as he cheered on the Chicago Bulls in a losing battle against the Washington Wizards.

Enjoy the performing arts? The Obamas have been to the Kennedy Center twice, once to see the Alvin Ailey dance troupe — with daughters Malia, 10, and Sasha, 7 — and once for a musical tribute to Senator Edward M. Kennedy.

How about a tasty meal? The Obamas have enjoyed white-tablecloth dining at Equinox, Bobby Van’s Steakhouse, B. Smith’s and Georgia Brown’s, and street-corner casual at Ben’s Chili Bowl and Five Guys Burgers and Fries.

They have gone to parent-teacher conferences, school sporting events and visited working-class and gentrifying communities that have rarely served as stomping grounds for American presidents and first ladies — speaking to students at a charter school in a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood, and worshiping in a black church, among other activities. (The president and friends also tossed a basketball around at a city-run recreation center.)

“Everywhere you go, you’re wondering whether or not you’ll run into them,” said Washington’s mayor, Adrian M. Fenty, who has lunched with the president and first lady.

Political observers are still debating whether this out-and-about style simply reflects the personal inclinations of the Obamas or some political calculus (or both). But one thing is clear: No other modern president has reached out so widely to so many corners of the city, says Doris Kearns Goodwin, a presidential historian.

That is no surprise to friends of the first family. The Obamas, after all, are city people, former community organizers who have long felt at home in the urban landscape. Mr. Obama is the first president since Richard M. Nixon to be elected while living in a city neighborhood, in his case, Chicago’s racially and economically diverse Hyde Park. And the Obamas are now eager to explore the city beyond the White House walls.

“They want their lives not to be confined solely to the White House but rather to become a part of the urban, vibrant fabric of D.C.,” Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to the president and a close family friend, said in an interview.

Of course, the social schedule of the president and first lady is also a powerful political tool, a way to nurture political alliances and to cultivate political narratives. The Obamas can enjoy their time out on the town while, at the same time, reaping potential dividends by reinforcing their promise to bring change to Washington and honing an image of openness and accessibility, some Washington watchers say.

“Let’s face it: It’s very good for getting re-elected,” Letitia Baldrige, the White House social secretary to Jacqueline Kennedy, said of the Obamas’ socializing. “It’s a great bank of good will in which they’re making deposits every day.”

Political analysts say that the images of Mr. Obama hooting and hollering during a basketball game, eating a hot dog at Ben’s Chili Bowl and watching the ballet with his wife and daughters — pastimes routinely broadcast to a national audience — may humanize a politician who is sometimes viewed as too cerebral and distant.

Dee Dee Myers, a former press secretary for President Clinton, said the outings allow Mr. Obama to project “an accessible glamour” and to convey a message of hope during bleak economic times. (She said that even the gregarious Clintons never got out this much.)

“It’s very humanizing and very encouraging to people,” Ms. Myers said. “And it’s valuable for him politically.”

Some warn, however, that such a schedule can also carry political risks, particularly if it undermines the mystique of the presidency, the image of power and command that a president needs to enact an ambitious agenda. Americans love the idea of the common man in a position of political power. (Think Jimmy Stewart in “Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.”) But they can also lose some respect if a politician seems too familiar. (Think Jimmy Carter in his cardigan.)

“Every once in a while it’s great, but there’s a chance of overexposing yourself socially,” said Bradley A. Blakeman, a former aide to President George W. Bush. “People scratch their heads and say, “Doesn’t the president have other things to do, especially in a crisis?’ ”

It is certainly a shift from historical precedent. In the 19th century, Washington was mostly viewed as a humid, uninviting town that presidents escaped from when they could.

In modern times, said Michael Beschloss, a presidential historian, the notion of presidential engagement with Washington has typically meant “going to parties in Georgetown or making friends on Capitol Hill, in other words, engaging with the permanent political establishment here.”

“This is really different,” said Mr. Beschloss of the Obamas forays into casual restaurants and working-class neighborhoods.

The Obamas know that it’s different. As the first African-American couple in the White House, they want to reach beyond the prosperous, predominantly white corridors of Washington.

“We were taught you have to get to know the community you’re in, and you have to be a part of that community,” Mrs. Obama said during a visit to Mary’s Center, a health clinic that serves a predominantly Hispanic neighborhood. “D.C. is our community now, and it’s our home.”

THE president says he hopes to serve as a bridge in a town long divided between the haves and have-nots. “I want to see if we can bring those two Washingtons together,” Mr. Obama said in an interview on the ABC program “This Week with George Stephanopoulos.”

For ordinary people, the unexpected encounters with the new president and first lady are astonishing.

Joe Clark, a corporate lawyer who sat near the president at the basketball game, described the experience as “surreal.”

“I couldn’t believe that he was so accessible that I could literally shake his hand and heckle him about needing to suit up because his team was losing,” Mr. Clark said.

That is not to say that the Obamas can live anything close to a normal life here.

“There really is no going out in public and blending in anymore,” said Ari Fleischer, a former press secretary to Mr. Bush, describing the challenges facing any president. “That really is one of the burdens of the job. You go into the restaurant and everyone stands up and applauds. You always have to shake hands.”

“But when you’re sitting at the table, either out of fear of the Secret Service, respect for the office or old-fashioned decency, people usually leave you alone,” Mr. Fleischer said. “You still can have a nice meal with your friends.”

The Obamas are clearly scoping out varied restaurants and places to visit.

Mr. Fenty said it was the president who suggested lunching at Ben’s Chili Bowl, a well-known black-owned restaurant. Eleanor Holmes Norton, Washington’s delegate to Congress, said Mrs. Obama suggested lunch at B. Smith’s, also black-owned, a Southern-style restaurant near the Capitol.

Mrs. Obama and her staff also visited Miriam’s Kitchen, a soup kitchen, where the first lady bumped into Bill Richardson, a 46-year-old homeless man. Mr. Richardson was so stunned that he could barely stammer thank you as Mrs. Obama scooped a helping of mushroom risotto onto his plate this month.

“I was expecting some lunch, but this is the president’s wife; this is her right here,” said Mr. Richardson, who said he planned to get to a phone as soon as he could. “I’m going to be like, ‘Mom, you’re never going to guess who I’ve seen.’ ”
Old 06-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #1996
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Wow, I hadn't realized how far Bill Richardson fell.
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #1997
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho View Post
The whole "date night" thing reminded me of an article I read a while ago in the NYT, about how much the Obamas have been out on the town in DC, so I thought I'd post it:

It's a shame that society has changed so much in recent years that the president can't be more outgoing if he chooses to do so. I had a grandfather who grew up in Independence, MO and eventually fought in WWII when his good friend, Harry Truman, was commander in chief. When Truman was in Independence, even during his presidency, he would take walks in town with friends and family and never consider that someone would come up and shoot him despite taking the same walking route each and every day. Grandfather would hang out with him on walks and on street corners chatting all the time. People would wander out and sit on a bench on the route just to say 'Hi!' as he walked by.

I'm glad to see Obama going out and trying to keep a normal routine in DC. I think the fact that he has young kids necessitates that to some extent if he wants to stay involved in their life. I really don't think he does those kinds of things for political capital as much as just finding relief from the wear and tear of the presidency. It's a rough gig.

Last edited by Mizzou B-ball fan : 06-04-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #1998
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

SI

Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM   #1999
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post

Old 06-04-2009, 09:23 AM   #2000
lordscarlet
Pro Starter

Overall I think the DC community is very happy with how President Obama has attempted to immerse himself in the city. How will that play nationally? I don't know. People love that he goes to Ben's (although I'm pissed that it has brought all the tourists and made the lines intolerable), plays basketball at local rec centers, etc. We are used to presidents like Bush that never go out on the town (I did not live here during any other presidencies). The city loved Obama before he arrived, and he has only furthered that by being as much a part of the community as a President can. The only thing he could have done to further his image is send his daughters to public school.

"...the better half of the Moores..." -cthomer5000
lordscarlet is offline   Reply With Quote