Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 02-05-2015, 04:50 PM   #1951
bronconick
College Starter

He released that Arya chapter from Winds just before S4Ep1, so it's already affecting him.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:34 PM   #1952
Zinto
College Starter

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerp...nds-of-winter/

New chapter from Winds of Winter was just released!
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 01:35 PM   #1953
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

It's a fun chapter. It really tends to show how far Sansa has come in terms of cunning.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:08 PM   #1954
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinto View Post
http://www.georgerrmartin.com/excerp...nds-of-winter/

New chapter from Winds of Winter was just released!

Nice, thanks for the tip. Decent chapter, but a rather slow one considering the increase in pace that needs to happen soon.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:14 PM   #1955
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

You have to bring Harrold the Heir to the Vale somehow and not every chapter is going to be bang 'em up action . Even Storm of Swords had its slower chapters to build story.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 04-02-2015 at 04:14 PM.
ISiddiqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 PM   #1956
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

'Game of Thrones' author George R.R. Martin determined to finish book by 2016 | EW.com

George determined to finished Winds by 2016. But this is the big bombshell I think (though I think we knew it'd be like two different stories when the show met and overtook the books):

Quote:
In one intriguing new wrinkle, Martin says he just came up with a big, revealing twist on a long-time character that he never previously considered. “This is going to drive your readers crazy,” he teases, “but I love it. I’m still weighing whether to go that direction or not. It’s a great twist. It’s easy to do things that are shocking or unexpected, but they have to grow out of characters. They have to grow out of situations. Otherwise, it’s just being shocking for being shocking. But this is something that seems very organic and natural, and I could see how it would happen. And with the various three, four characters involved… it all makes sense. But it’s nothing I’ve ever thought of before. And it’s nothing they can do in the show, because the show has already—on this particular character—made a couple decisions that will preclude it, where in my case I have not made those decisions.”
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #1957
path12
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Nice, thanks for the tip. Decent chapter, but a rather slow one considering the increase in pace that needs to happen soon.

I was relieved to see that it is a chapter with detailed feast descriptions. Those are so rare!
Old 04-03-2015, 03:26 PM   #1958
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
'Game of Thrones' author George R.R. Martin determined to finish book by 2016 | EW.com

George determined to finished Winds by 2016. But this is the big bombshell I think (though I think we knew it'd be like two different stories when the show met and overtook the books):

Good, I am assured that the book will be out no later than 2018
Old 04-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #1959
Galaril
Pro Starter

Quote:

Martin is so predictable. Just seems like he is catfishing his readers. I refuse to read anymore of his books till he has completed the set of books remaining even if it is 10 more years. I will watch the show and sleep fine at night.

Last edited by Galaril : 04-03-2015 at 04:51 PM.
Galaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:52 PM   #1960
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

Does that quote sound like he's in the final stages of TWoW to you? Me neither.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 11:06 PM   #1961
IlliniCub
High School Varsity

Plot Twist: He's actually releasing the book as he writes it and we've read all the chapters he has completed so far.
IlliniCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 06:31 AM   #1962
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

That's actually my running assumption.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:38 PM   #1963
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I am re-reading Storm of Swords and the Davos chapters just upset me over how show-Stannis has been portrayed. Book-Stannis is such a better character. He seems to be the only person in power willing to listen to people who disagree with him if they make sense (that tends to be Davos) and isn't shy about arguing with Melissandre. I just finished the chapter where they are discussing Edric Storm being sacrificed to perhaps raise a dragon (or whatever it was going to do). Davos is, of course, against it. Stannis not only lets him speak his peace, but gives a great argument for potentially sacrificing Edric (Stannis is reluctant however and even snaps at his wife for being so eager to kill Edric) - basically that there are hundreds or boys and girls in Westeros, if one persons's death can save the realm, it may be worth doing. You don't really see this nuance, or struggle in the show-Stannis. It diminishes the character greatly, IMO.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #1964
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I am re-reading Storm of Swords and the Davos chapters just upset me over how show-Stannis has been portrayed. Book-Stannis is such a better character. He seems to be the only person in power willing to listen to people who disagree with him if they make sense (that tends to be Davos) and isn't shy about arguing with Melissandre. I just finished the chapter where they are discussing Edric Storm being sacrificed to perhaps raise a dragon (or whatever it was going to do). Davos is, of course, against it. Stannis not only lets him speak his peace, but gives a great argument for potentially sacrificing Edric (Stannis is reluctant however and even snaps at his wife for being so eager to kill Edric) - basically that there are hundreds or boys and girls in Westeros, if one persons's death can save the realm, it may be worth doing. You don't really see this nuance, or struggle in the show-Stannis. It diminishes the character greatly, IMO.

Stannis is a very nuanced character that too many people dismiss as being awful. He's much maligned, but oft unfairly so.

The show is often going to struggle to pull off nuance like that. There are just too many characters and not nearly enough time in a 10 hour season to do it.

As a result, the show is much more streamlined than the books, more often you do lose quite a bit, but sometimes it's really for the best.

While it's still early yet, I much prefer the idea of Tyrion getting to Mereen and meeting Dany (if he actually does get there) than having him meander about, meet up with a bunch of characters who aren't all that interesting, playing games of cyvasse, meeting Penny (ugh!), etc, etc.

I also much prefer Brianne actually finding Arya and running into Sansa rather than having her meander all around Westeros looking for Sansa in places we know she isn't. Yeah, those scenes show the horrors of war on the smallfolk, but we've already seen plenty of that.

So, in some ways, the show is much, much less than the books, because you lose a lot of nuance, complexity, and history, much of which is very cool and I love. In some ways the show is better, because it cuts out a lot of bloat (much of which fills books four and five).

I really don't spend too much time comparing them anymore. I view them as two separate, yet related, things to be enjoyed on their own merits. So long as the show stays true to the characters and plot - which I think it does a remarkable job of much more often than not - I'm not going to get upset.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 04-24-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #1965
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
So long as the show stays true to the characters and plot - which I think it does a remarkable job of much more often than not - I'm not going to get upset.

In reading more of Storm of Swords, I think this part rankles. It really isn't staying true to the character of Stannis. BookStannis really, really, really cares about the war against the Others. ShowStannis thinks it's somewhat important, but the crown is more so - kind of opposite of his famous quote in the books (the one with saving the realm and becoming king). I'm right before when Jon gets elected Lord Commander, and its Stannis who has the idea to settle the wildlings on the Gift, so that they may be able to help fight the Others. Also he's proposing to man all the castles on the Wall.

The show would rather Stannis be kind of a strange heartless bastard (to a point - the Shireen scene was very moving).

Though I will say, I'm curious - the whole child of an old King who has been cast into exile but comes back in a blaze of glory to retake their throne seems a bit too cliche for GRRM to follow through, doesn't it? I'm starting to think more and more than Dany doesn't take the Iron Throne after thinking for a long time that she would.

Oh, and speaking of show, Tyrion is still going to be taking a long ass time to get to Meereen - now on foot... with Jorah. And they still showed the Stone Men attack... maybe Penny is next?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #1966
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:

Was the Edric sacrifice about a dragon or another of those creepy ghost babies she pushes from her loins?

Book Stannis is so much better.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #1967
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Was the Edric sacrifice about a dragon or another of those creepy ghost babies she pushes from her loins?

Book Stannis is so much better.

They didn't really go into too much detail on the Edric sacrifice, but it was supposed to win them the war. So I think it was more likely dragon - or all the Lannisters would magically die or something .
Old 05-11-2015, 10:34 AM   #1968
Grover
Pro Starter

I don't remember Jorah getting Greyscale either... I thought it was someone else for some reason

Old 05-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #1969
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't remember Jorah getting Greyscale either... I thought it was someone else for some reason

They switched characters on that one.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #1970
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Ok, I thought so.

Spoiler

Old 05-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #1971
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Jon Connington had Greyscale, but IIRC, he had found a way to stop the spread of it himself.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #1972
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Grover, this is the book series thread (we discuss the show as well though)... you don't need to spoiler

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-11-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #1973
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Jon Connington had Greyscale, but IIRC, he had found a way to stop the spread of it himself.

It has been a couple years since I read ADOD (at least), but I don't recall him stopping the Greyscale. My distinct impression is that he was trying to get things done before he can no longer handle matters because of it.

I do think he did some things to slow the spread down, though (and my memory is sketchy).

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 AM   #1974
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Ah, yes you are right. He's got it slowed down but not stopped.

Last edited by ISiddiqui : 05-11-2015 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #1975
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
In reading more of Storm of Swords, I think this part rankles. It really isn't staying true to the character of Stannis. BookStannis really, really, really cares about the war against the Others. ShowStannis thinks it's somewhat important, but the crown is more so - kind of opposite of his famous quote in the books (the one with saving the realm and becoming king). I'm right before when Jon gets elected Lord Commander, and its Stannis who has the idea to settle the wildlings on the Gift, so that they may be able to help fight the Others. Also he's proposing to man all the castles on the Wall.

The show would rather Stannis be kind of a strange heartless bastard (to a point - the Shireen scene was very moving).

Though I will say, I'm curious - the whole child of an old King who has been cast into exile but comes back in a blaze of glory to retake their throne seems a bit too cliche for GRRM to follow through, doesn't it? I'm starting to think more and more than Dany doesn't take the Iron Throne after thinking for a long time that she would.

Oh, and speaking of show, Tyrion is still going to be taking a long ass time to get to Meereen - now on foot... with Jorah. And they still showed the Stone Men attack... maybe Penny is next?

The last two episodes have done a remarkable job with Stannis. In a few very short scenes they've really helped round him out. As a result of the medium and time constraints they are never going to be able to create as complex a character on screen as Martin does in the books, but I think they have really done a fantastic job with Stannis in these last two episodes.

Your criticism would be warranted a few weeks ago, now, not so much.

If Penny shows up, I'm out.

And if they start playing cyvasse, I'll punch myself in the dick.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 05-11-2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #1976
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post

Hopefully, because neither Jon Connington nor "Aegon" make an appearance in the show.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:28 AM   #1977
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The last two episodes have done a remarkable job with Stannis. In a few very short scenes they've really helped round him out. As a result of the medium and time constraints they are never going to be able to create as complex a character on screen as Martin does in the books, but I think they have really done a fantastic job with Stannis in these last two episodes.

Your criticism would be warranted a few weeks ago, now, not so much

I think two episodes aren't enough to reverse most people's views on Stannis Baratheon. And some of Stannis's good ideas have been given to Jon. And they've taken out his best lines. Stannis left the Wall without telling Jon that he's realized that he is to save the realm in order to become king.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #1978
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Since this is the book thread, I'll say this about the show direction over these next few weeks--I like the direction we're going on what we're going to see.

We already know from still shots from on set that they actually have Danyraes and Tyrion together in scenes, so presumeably he gets there before the dragon pit scene with Dany and Drogon. If that does put Tyrion in the position of Ser Barristan after that event happens, awesome.

We should start to see Arya's ramping up in training as a Faceless Man soon, including her blindness phase, which I found fascinating in the book.

And we're entering unknown territory when it comes to Brienne-Sansa-Theon (does Theon now save Sansa? Does Brienne?). Do we get the hinted at battle for Winterfell this season? And then we still have the Kingslayer and Bronn in Dorne. I still have no idea where they're going with that, but I'm intrigued to see it.

Are we going to see Jon's book fate played out on screen this season?

There is still a lot to look forward to, and I'm glad they're taking the more interesting stuff and streamlining it around all the crap that was in AFOC and ADOD.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #1979
Grover
Pro Starter

Absolutely loved the blindness phase.

I hope they allude to her being a warg with the cat behind the master.

I also think we will see Jon Snow's end this season. Was it Thorne who does him in?

Last edited by Grover : 05-11-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #1980
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Quote:
I also think we will see Jon Snow's end this season. Was it Thorne who does him in?

I'm waiting for episode 9 or 10's title to be announced. 10 bucks says it'll be "For the Watch".

And if memory serves, it was a whole crowd of folks who got him, Caesar style.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:28 PM   #1981
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Absolutely loved the blindness phase.

I hope they allude to her being a warg with the cat behind the master.

If I recall right, there were many who did him in. I can't recall if Thorne was part of it, or if he was killed off (in the books, a lot of the Night's Watch peeps kinda run together for me--the show does a lot better for me at setting them out).

His end is still a mystery, right? I haven't read any of GRRM's sample chapters for Winds of Winter. I would hope he wouldn't have just sent out a chapter undoing that cliffhanger before the actual book release.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #1982
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

I have to believe that Jon gets brought back to life by Melisandre.

And it was Bowen Marsh who initially stabs Jon.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #1983
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

It wasn't Thorne, Jon sent him to one of the other castles.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #1984
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
I think two episodes aren't enough to reverse most people's views on Stannis Baratheon. And some of Stannis's good ideas have been given to Jon. And they've taken out his best lines. Stannis left the Wall without telling Jon that he's realized that he is to save the realm in order to become king.

Based on a lot of the internet chatter I've heard, the last two episodes have, indeed, reversed most people's views on Stannis.

The show's doing right by him.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #1985
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
I have to believe that Jon gets brought back to life by Melisandre.

And it was Bowen Marsh who initially stabs Jon.

Thank you on the second comment there.

What are the odds of Jon warging into Ghost?

I find the Melisandre resurrection more likely, a la Thoros of Myr though.

Old 05-11-2015, 12:50 PM   #1986
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Based on a lot of the internet chatter I've heard, the last two episodes have, indeed, reversed most people's views on Stannis.

The show's doing right by him.

No it isn't.

I've still heard plenty of folks say something like, ok, Stannis is better, but I still have no idea why you people like him (there is a very, very strong, though admittedly minority, contingent of book-fans who are completely on Stannis's side).
Old 05-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #1987
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
It wasn't Thorne, Jon sent him to one of the other castles.

He sent him ranging in the books.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #1988
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
No it isn't.

I've still heard plenty of folks say something like, ok, Stannis is better, but I still have no idea why you people like him (there is a very, very strong, though admittedly minority, contingent of book-fans who are completely on Stannis's side).

So, I imagine the percentage of book readers who really like and appreciate Stannis is probably about equal to the percentage of show watchers now. A small minority.

So, just about right!

I like him well enough in both. Like most other characters in both the book and show, he's flawed. He has his good points and his not so good points.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 PM   #1989
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So, I imagine the percentage of book readers who really like and appreciate Stannis is probably about equal to the percentage of show watchers now. A small minority.

Not really. It's actually fairly sizable tbh. "Stannis the Mannis" is all over forums that deal with the books.

When I see a number of show watchers go, "Screw Dany, we're for Stannis", that's when I'll think the show has created fans of Stannis in similar ways.

Though, in addition the show has shortchanged why Stannis is such a great character - in that he actually does get that the main war is with the Others, not for the crown.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #1990
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Issue with the Melisandre theory for Jon in the show is that Melisandre appears to have left Castle Black with Stannis and his army. So she won't be around when he gets stabbed (unless they somehow devise some way of getting her back there).

So either the show is doing this differently than the book (a very key difference if so, IMO), or the method by which Jon remains with us doesn't require Melisandre (the Ghost theory would seem to be possible).

I also wonder if somehow Bran (remember him?) is worked into this Jon storyline, where he is a part of Jon coming back.

All of this assumes Jon is coming back. If he is truly dead, I'll probably punch GRRM in the face if I ever meet him.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #1991
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Though, in addition the show has shortchanged why Stannis is such a great character - in that he actually does get that the main war is with the Others, not for the crown.

Didn't he say just that last night? I thought he did. I might be mis-remembering though.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:05 PM   #1992
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Didn't he say just that last night? I thought he did. I might be mis-remembering though.

I feel like his whole plan in the show right now is to win back Winterfell and unite the north so he can take the crown.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #1993
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He didn't say it in so many words. But he more or less suggested he was aware that this is a major issue (and encouraged Samwell to continue his research into it to help with the coming fight).

Old 05-11-2015, 01:07 PM   #1994
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

He has never indicated that he thought the Others were the biggest war. Show-Stannis is all about the Crown.

Also, for some fun go do image search on "Stannis the Mannis" - book fans have basically done a Chuck Norris type of thing with Stannis.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #1995
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Anyway, since I said above that I think Dany winning the Iron Throne is way too obvious an ending, I hold out hope that Stannis ends up ruling in the end.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #1996
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
He has never indicated that he thought the Others were the biggest war. Show-Stannis is all about the Crown.

Huh. That's not really how I see Show-Stannis, but apparently people see it differently.

Quote:
Also, for some fun go do image search on "Stannis the Mannis" - book fans have basically done a Chuck Norris type of thing with Stannis.

I will! Thanks!
Old 05-12-2015, 09:47 AM   #1997
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

If Show Tyrion and Mormont run into Penny en route now, I'm going to cry.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:57 AM   #1998
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They left it open for it .
Old 05-12-2015, 10:19 AM   #1999
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
They left it open for it .

I read ahead for the next three episode capsules (the TV episode descriptions only) and one of them mentions Jorah and Tyrion meeting up with slavers!

Old 05-12-2015, 10:21 AM   #2000
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!

The relief of people saying Tyrion wasn't going go on a long boat ride turns to ash .

I think people would rather Griff and Young Griff be included if there was no Penny .