Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-08-2005, 12:34 PM   #1951
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

let's see if this works

Old 11-08-2005, 07:39 PM   #1952
st.cronin
General Manager

Who was that Philly goalie who gave up the shot from center ice in the playoffs a few years ago?
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:04 PM   #1953
st.cronin
General Manager

dola

I think my last post jinxed CuJo.
st.cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:25 PM   #1954
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin
Who was that Philly goalie who gave up the shot from center ice in the playoffs a few years ago?

Ninymakki(Sp?) Let one in from center a few weeks ago for the Flyers.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #1955
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by st.cronin

Dan Cloutier vs the Wings in 02?
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 03:51 AM   #1956
Karim
College Starter

Here's an 'article' (it's Fox) that suggests members of the UofM Gophers team have been involved in underage drinking. The players in question include Flames first round pick Kris Chucko, future first overall pick Phil Kessell, Jeff Frazee and Evan Kaufmann.

Up here the drinking age is 18 so many of us were laughing this off but I'm also hearing that the NCAA takes this very seriously and that many of these players could be in serious trouble. In Chucko's case, it could go so far as him losing his eligibility and him having to play in the WHL for Brandon.

For those in the know, how serious is this?

http://www.kmsp.com/news/investigato...ry.asp?1650014
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:07 AM   #1957
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRoxDVHStyle
Dan Cloutier vs the Wings in 02?

Chris Osgood vs the Blues in 98?
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 06:14 AM   #1958
Joe Canadian
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim
Here's an 'article' (it's Fox) that suggests members of the UofM Gophers team have been involved in underage drinking. The players in question include Flames first round pick Kris Chucko, future first overall pick Phil Kessell, Jeff Frazee and Evan Kaufmann.

Up here the drinking age is 18 so many of us were laughing this off but I'm also hearing that the NCAA takes this very seriously and that many of these players could be in serious trouble. In Chucko's case, it could go so far as him losing his eligibility and him having to play in the WHL for Brandon.

Seriously, there must be something more important these ass hats could be investigating...
LETS GO JAYS!!
EHM 2005 DYNASTY: A New Philosophy in Toronto!
Joe Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:15 AM   #1959
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue

Was it that long ago? Or, did he do it more than once? He's also the one who prematurely started celebrating a playoff win and watched a puck fly past him and off a post, isn't he?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 AM   #1960
Ksyrup

I happened to catch the last 5 minutes of the Nasville/Edmonton game last night. It was 1-1 with under 2 minutes left, and it ended 3-2. That was pretty cool. I don't think I ever saw that happen in years past.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 11-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #1961
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:

Osgood also gave one up to Jamie Langenbrunner in 99.
sachmo71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 AM   #1962
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
Was it that long ago? Or, did he do it more than once? He's also the one who prematurely started celebrating a playoff win and watched a puck fly past him and off a post, isn't he?

That sounds like a series between the Wings and Sharks.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #1963
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Actually, it happened to Osgood twice in the 98-99 season. Al MacInnis scored from center ice in the second round, and Jamie Langenbrunner did it in the as well.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #1964
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
That sounds like a series between the Wings and Sharks.

Osgood wasn't celebrating when that happened. The game was tied. He just left the net to play the puck and couldn't get back in time before it went in. It was horrible. That series was probably the most painful sporting event(s) that I have ever suffered through. I was crushed. I actually banned myself from hockey for a while. (Note: the ban lasted until January '95, but only because of the strike. I ended up going to a pre-season Wings' game).
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 11-09-2005, 09:33 AM   #1965
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachmo71
Actually, it happened to Osgood twice in the 98-99 season. Al MacInnis scored from center ice in the second round, and Jamie Langenbrunner did it in the as well.

That was '97-'98, no? And even with all that nonsense, we still won the Cup!

I remember the MacInnis goal vividly. It was my first year of law school. I was in the midst of a "24 hour take-home" exam for Con Law. Basically, you pick up the exam from the library and have 24 hours to finish it. I picked it up around noon, worked diligently until around 7:30. Then I decided to work on the exam, while having the game on in the background. It wasn't working at all, so I figured I had made enough progress so I would watch the game and then go back to the exam. I went to a friend's house to watch it. With a minute to go, I stood up and put my coat on. I didn't want to waste any time chatting or lingering around post-game. A few second's later MacInnis scores.

The game didn't end until the second overtime on a nice goal by Shanahan. I think the Blues almost won it, but their best chance hit the cross-bar. I didn't get home until after midnight. Luckily I was pretty pumped up by the win, so I finished the exam.

I was still seriously displeased.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:39 AM   #1966
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup

That was Vernon, I think. Hrmm... That happened against the Blackhawks in the '95 playoffs. A terrifying moment for sure.

It was a Sunday afternoon game, I think. During the game I ate some promotional "Batman" hamburger from McDonald's. It was pretty tasty.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #1967
Ksyrup

You remember eating a promotional hamburger from McDonald's during a hockey game 10 years ago. I feel ashamed for being such a casual hockey fan. I'm not sure I can return to this thread in good conscience.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:46 AM   #1968
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
That was '97-'98, no? And even with all that nonsense, we still won the Cup!

I remember the MacInnis goal vividly. It was my first year of law school. I was in the midst of a "24 hour take-home" exam for Con Law. Basically, you pick up the exam from the library and have 24 hours to finish it. I picked it up around noon, worked diligently until around 7:30. Then I decided to work on the exam, while having the game on in the background. It wasn't working at all, so I figured I had made enough progress so I would watch the game and then go back to the exam. I went to a friend's house to watch it. With a minute to go, I stood up and put my coat on. I didn't want to waste any time chatting or lingering around post-game. A few second's later MacInnis scores.

The game didn't end until the second overtime on a nice goal by Shanahan. I think the Blues almost won it, but their best chance hit the cross-bar. I didn't get home until after midnight. Luckily I was pretty pumped up by the win, so I finished the exam.

I was still seriously displeased.

Yes, it was. That was also the year Belfour tried to chop one of the Wings agitators (I believe it was Lapointe) in half with his goalie stick from the crotch up. OWCH!
Old 11-09-2005, 09:59 AM   #1969
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
That series was probably the most painful sporting event(s) that I have ever suffered through. I was crushed.

there's painful and then there's Roy's Statue of Liberty But He Doesn't Have The Puck.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #1970
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Yes, it was. That was also the year Belfour tried to chop one of the Wings agitators (I believe it was Lapointe) in half with his goalie stick from the crotch up. OWCH!

Indeed! Poor Marty. I loved the guy when he was with the Wings, but he sort of became the poster child for excessive spending after Boston gave him the $5.5 million a year. You can't blame a fella for taking the money, but the Bruins insane to give it to him. He's a great character guy, but he's really a third line type of player, strong, physical, and will chip in up to 20 goals in a very good year.

The greatest Martin LaPointe moment was his goal in game 6 of the '97 Western Conference Finals. It was a beauty of a slap shot from above the circles that disintegrated Patrick Roy's catching glove and went into the net. Looking back, I think that series is probably my favorite Wings playoff series ever, even with that stinker of a game 5.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM   #1971
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Dodger
there's painful and then there's Roy's Statue of Liberty But He Doesn't Have The Puck.

Good times... Good times...
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #1972
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

Quote:
Good times... Good times...

He was such a tool.

Good, but a dick.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:21 AM   #1973
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
He was such a tool.

Good, but a dick.

I have no argument for that.
but, at least when he retired...he stayed retired.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:29 AM   #1974
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
He was such a tool.

Good, but a dick.

Yes. I think, at the moment, he is cearly my most hated sports figure of all time. He was a great goalie, amazing, but I hated him nonetheless. Claude Lemieux comes in as a close second. After that, things get fuzzy...
Old 11-09-2005, 10:52 AM   #1975
bbor
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yes. I think, at the moment, he is cearly my most hated sports figure of all time. He was a great goalie, amazing, but I hated him nonetheless. Petr Klima comes in as a close second. After that, things get fuzzy...

Fixed that for ya.

Now that I've cracked and made that admission, I wonder if I'm only a couple of steps away from wanting to tongue-kiss Jaromir Jagr and give Bobby Clarke a blowjob.
bbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 11:01 AM   #1976
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbor
Fixed that for ya.

You're an evil, evil man, bbor!

Kilma rules. The exciting moves, the great hair, that super-cool helmet... A young H_B even got a little teary-eyed when he was traded to Edmonton for Jimmy "*&*$ing" Carson. I think they traded Klima, Joe Murphy, Adam Graves, and Jeff Sharples to Edmonton for Carson, Kevin McClelland, and a mid-round draft pick. A horrible trade. Just horrible.

Speaking of hate, I did hate Jimmy Carson. Even when he was a member of the Wings I hated him. That's a rare thing. I can only think of a handful of Wings I've actually hated while playing for the team: Carson, Joe Murphy, Marc Potvin, Jim Cummins, to name a few. I didn't even hate Tim Cheveldae, despite his complete suckitude. I actually kinda liked the guy, especially when he wore his "lucky" yellow suit before a big game.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 AM   #1977
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Since I am bored and have already taken a trip or two down Red Wings Memory Lane... I think the Wings' 1989 draft class has to be the best draft ever for the organization and, perhaps, one of the best draft classes in the history of the NHL. This draft was the cornerstone for the Wings 3 Cups.

11 C Mike Sillinger
32 D Bob Boughner
53 D Nicklas Lidstrom
74 C Sergei Fedorov
95 C Shawn McCosh
116 R Dallas Drake
137 D Scott Zygulski
158 D Andy Suhy
179 Bob Jones
200 D Greg Bignell
204 L Rick Judson
221 D Vladimir Konstantinov
242 R Joe Frederick
246 G Jason Glickman

Granted, not all of these guys are household names and the first round pick didn't exactly blow the doors off the NHL, but it's an amazing draft class. Sillinger and Boughner are solid NHL players. They have bounced around the league a lot, but even now, 16 years later, they starting in the NHL. Same goes for Dallas Drake, current captain of the Blues.

The gems of the draft are obviously Fedorov, Lidstrom, and Konstantinov. For a while there Fedorov was the best player in the NHL. Well, for one year at least. Even after that he was always dangerous and an amazing talent, though he's starting to fade away out there in Anaheim. Lidstrom is, well, Lidstrom. Multiple Norris Trophies. Probably in the top 10-15 defensemen of all time. I still think there was no better defensemen in the leauge than Konstantinov in 96-97. He could do it all, hit, skate, pass, shoot, you name it. He was as complete a defensemen as one would want before his untimely accident. But for that, I think he, and not Lidstrom, would have been the one taking home the Norris year after year.

Just taking a quick look back at some drafts...

Edmonton's '79 (Kevin Lowe, Mark Messier, and Glen Anderson) and '80 (Coffey, Kurri, and Moog) drafts were pretty outstanding, especially when you consider the number of players drafted.

I also love the Wings '83 draft which saw Steve Yzerman, Bob Probert, Joe Kocur, Petr Kima!, and Stu Grimson get drafted into the league. Great times ahead for all!
Old 11-09-2005, 11:39 AM   #1978
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

you can have Boughner back
Old 11-09-2005, 11:52 AM   #1979
sachmo71
The boy who cried Trout

no doubt about it...that was an insane draft.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #1980
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Wait, wait? So you're saying there's underage drinking at college? No way!

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 12:08 PM   #1981
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Granted, not all of these guys are household names and the first round pick didn't exactly blow the doors off the NHL, but it's an amazing draft class. Sillinger and Boughner are solid NHL players. They have bounced around the league a lot, but even now, 16 years later, they starting in the NHL. Same goes for Dallas Drake, current captain of the Blues.

not saying it wasn't a bad draft. but it WAS a pretty deep class: Sundin (sniff), Guerin, Stu Barnes, Holik and Kozlig were also first rounders, and guys like Foote, Travis Green, Paul Laus (!), Brisebois, Greg Johnson, Dafoe, Draper (Winnipeg), Klatt and Reichel were also drafted. and then there was that OTHER 6th round pick, just ahead of Dallas Drake. Some Pavel Bure guy.

just to throw it out there, the year before, Colorado..er, Quebec, drafted Leschyshen, Fiset, Kamensky, Gusarov and Lapointe. Not a bad draft. Then again, they also took Wade Belak in the first round if 1994, so I guess they cancel each other out.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:50 PM   #1982
Wolfpack
Pro Rookie

w00t! Canes down Buffalo 5-3 and set franchise record with eighth straight win! They didn't come from behind, but they still had to work for it as the Sabres were peppering the goal all game and Gerber had to stand on his head a lot to keep a lot of the shots out. Empty-netter late sealed it, though.
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:15 AM   #1983
Karim
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice
Wait, wait? So you're saying there's underage drinking at college? No way!

My question is how big of deal is it to the NCAA? A couple of people have indicated to me that the UofM could face sanctions and players could lose eligibility. Is that a likely response by NCAA authorities?
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #1984
Cards4ever
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

The drinking is probably going to result in some 1 game suspensions for the players. The bigger issue is, it looks like they were allowed in free on Karaoke night when there is supposed to be a $3 Cover Charge. It also looks like they were given free drinks, also a NCAA violation.

Being a Gopher fan, I know, hear, and understand the point of view of "underage drinking, shocking", but these guys are going to pay the price for that choice. Like or not they are pretty popular figures on campus and around town and they just can't blend in like a normal college student. Lots of Frats and the like to drink at, hopefully they use those sources next time.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:50 AM   #1985
kcchief19
Pro Starter

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansas...s/13127100.htm

I'm officially on the Kansas City Penguines bandwagon. I just need to get me a sweater so I can watch them play in our new building, eh.
kcchief19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:15 PM   #1986
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. An absolute beauty of a goal by Crosby in the shoot-out against Montreal. He was Pittsburgh's third shooter and the shootout score was 0-0. He scores. Pens win. A classic goal for his first game against his favorite team growing up. The excitement building up that goal and the fans' reaction is definitive proof that the shoot-out is the way to end a tie in the regular season. It was electriftying. The alternative? A long, dull walk to the parking lot. The debate has ended, kids.

'Nuff said.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:18 PM   #1987
Booj
High School JV

Yeah that was a crazy goal... I knew he was going to score, too.

I'll take a point after being down 2-0 after the 1st period...

I just wish Ottawa would lose games at some point this season....
Booj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #1988
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Wow. The Avs are up 3-0 against Vancouver. They scored 3 goals in the first seven minutes and before the Canucks even had a shot on goal...
Old 11-10-2005, 09:26 PM   #1989
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Yay! Hawks win the crapfest in St Louis. And I actually got it on tv here (Fox Sports Midwest coverage for the Blues). The only nights I get the Hawks and Rockets on tv, they're both on at the same time

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 09:29 PM   #1990
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Wow. The Avs are up 3-0 against Vancouver. They scored 3 goals in the first seven minutes and before the Canucks even had a shot on goal...

aw fuck.
I'm thinking...15 minutes in and no one cares about the Avs anyway. there wont be a spoiler there. oops (no biggy, really, but I ain't coming back. besides, the Avs play like crap when they have the lead).

fwiw, their last game (vs SJ), they had a 2-0 lead 3 minutes in, again before allowing a shot. they ended up getting outshot 18-8 in that period!

bye.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:30 PM   #1991
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
aw fuck.
I'm thinking...15 minutes in and no one cares about the Avs anyway. there wont be a spoiler there. oops (no biggy, really, but I ain't coming back. besides, the Avs play like crap when they have the lead).

fwiw, their last game (vs SJ), they had a 2-0 lead 3 minutes in, again before allowing a shot. they ended up getting outshot 18-8 in that period!

bye.

Gah!

DD, I'm so sorry. I should've thought to put spoiler warnings on that post. Damnit! Will do so in the future.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #1992
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Gah!

DD, I'm so sorry. I should've thought to put spoiler warnings on that post. Damnit! Will do so in the future.

no you shouldn't have. it was totally my fault.

why am I still here?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:28 AM   #1993
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
besides, the Avs play like crap when they have the lead).

can I call 'em or what?
Old 11-11-2005, 11:32 AM   #1994
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
can I call 'em or what?

They won 5-3. They were fine, though they did sit back a bit and let Vancouver take it to 'em. Still, it's hard not at times with a 4 goal lead.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:40 AM   #1995
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
They won 5-3. They were fine, though they did sit back a bit and let Vancouver take it to 'em. Still, it's hard not at times with a 4 goal lead.

true. but they looked as awful in the 2nd period as they looked good in the first. and they start to coast like that EVERY time they get a lead. I'm sure I sound like a Toronto fan, complaining about a win, but I really do wish they'd cut that the fuck out.

love to watch the team though. they are doing way better than I expected.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #1996
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
I'm sure I sound like a Toronto fan, complaining about a win...
Wait, I thought we held parades when we won. Which is it again?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:05 PM   #1997
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple Leafs

that definitely didn't come from me.

er...did it?
Old 11-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #1998
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:

Parades. Definitely parades.

Old 11-11-2005, 12:21 PM   #1999
Maple Leafs
Coordinator

Quote:
that definitely didn't come from me.
No, it was someone else. Probably one of those puppy-kicking Red Wing fans. But both points of view are pretty common, and I'm always kind of amused by the stereotypes of Leaf fans that seem to contradict each other.

On the one hand, we complain about everything. On the other hand, we do cartwheels over even the smallest victory.

On the one hand, we brutally turn on our players and tear them apart. On the other hand, we think all our players walk on water.

On the one hand, we delude ourselves into thinking we're going to win the Cup every year. On the other hand, we're so damn pessimistic and depressing to be around.

On the one hand, we're fickle morons for hopping on and off the bandwagon over every little development. On the other hand, we're hopeless idiots for being the only fans in the league that sell out the building every night no matter how well the team does.

On the one hand, our team never wins the Stanley Cup. On the other hand... um, actually, forget that one.

Still, couldn't all the Leaf-haters get together and at least get on message?

Last edited by Maple Leafs : 11-11-2005 at 12:22 PM.
Maple Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #2000
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Still, couldn't all the Leaf-haters get together and at least get on message?

can we all just say Darcy Tucker is a pansy, and leave it at that?
oh wait, we ALL agree that Wade Belak sucks, right?