Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #1951
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Dwayne Bowe finally signed his franchise offer for 1 yr/9.5M. I need to find a job where I can settle for that.

By all means settle for around 20% of your market value.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #1952
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
By all means settle for around 20% of your market value.

So he's worth fifty million a year?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #1953
stevew
Hall Of Famer

His market is probably 5/50, I guess maybe you could say he got 40% of the guarantee he could get on the open market(practical guarantee of $25)

Last edited by stevew : 08-17-2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #1954
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
His market is probably 5/50, I guess maybe you could say he got 40% of the guarantee he could get on the open market(practical guarantee of $25)

But it still averages out to ten million a year. You give him the twenty-five million now, you'll have him back in two or three years complaining about his contract.

It's win-win for Kansas City. You save fifteen million in up front money and the guy has to perform if he wants to keep making big money.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #1955
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Billick should use the term "dicey" more often.
M GO BLUE!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 11:20 PM   #1956
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
But it still averages out to ten million a year. You give him the twenty-five million now, you'll have him back in two or three years complaining about his contract.

It's win-win for Kansas City. You save fifteen million in up front money and the guy has to perform if he wants to keep making big money.

Plus you get another year to figure out if Baldwin can make Bowe irrelevant and mean you don't have to give him the 5 year contract.

Bowe is good, but I think you can get that kind of production without javin to give out the kind of $$$ he is looking for. I agree it's a good move for KC
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #1957
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

Cutler looked pretty damn good there, with protection and actual big boy receivers.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 08:15 PM   #1958
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
Cutler looked pretty damn good there, with protection and actual big boy receivers.

Welcome to life without Martz.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:51 PM   #1959
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wow the Jets look terrible to the point that it's not going to make a bit of difference who is at QB. Complete shit storm all over the field. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose at least 13 or 14
Old 08-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #1960
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Wow the Jets look terrible to the point that it's not going to make a bit of difference who is at QB. Complete shit storm all over the field. Wouldn't be surprised to see them lose at least 13 or 14

I bet they get some punter competition in this week.

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:09 PM   #1961
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:

They will be better on the offensive side of the ball once Holmes returns and they run some gimmick plays with Tebow, but yeah, not good at all.

The offensive line looked horrible, looked like the Giants could get to the QB at will and Tebow is terrible. That throw he missed the wide open receiver in the endzone could be made by every D1 quarterback.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #1962
B & B
College Benchwarmer

Location: A sports era long ago when everything didnt require a Nike logo
He needed to be one yard longer on a 25 YARD pass. Plus the WR coming back slipped and fell.

Im no Timmy fan boy, but I find his 2 yard screen passes that go completely OVER the Rbs head despite him JUMPING for the ball much more entertaining than that endzone pass.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #1963
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Russell Wilson is Drew Brees in a running backs body.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #1964
mckerney
Coordinator

Terrell Owens Having Trouble Deciding Which Seahawks Quarterback To Undermine | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Quote:
SEATTLE—Seahawks wide receiver Terrell Owens announced Friday that he was still struggling to decide which of the team's three quarterbacks to undermine this season, claiming that Matt Flynn, Russell Wilson, and Tarvaris Jackson were all potential candidates for unfair criticism and personal attacks. "I'm torn, because Russell is a rookie, so I thought I would be able to publicly blame him for a poor offensive performance, but he's doing great," said Owens, who wouldn't rule out openly insinuating that one of the quarterbacks was secretly gay. "Matt's obviously more experienced than Russell, and he'd be perfect for unjust accusations that he's not getting me the ball enough and is favoring other receivers. On the other hand, let's not forget about Tarvaris, either—he already knows this offense so well that I could easily question the level of his conditioning in front of reporters." Owens also confirmed that he was still weighing which team to sign a short-term contract with once he is released by the Seahawks midway through the season.
mckerney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:38 AM   #1965
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter King
On my camp trip this week, one player told me: "Suppose the Cowboys lose a game because of an incompetent call in the first couple of weeks, and suppose that costs them the playoffs. We all know Jerry Jones would write a check tomorrow to end the lockout if he knew it would mean the difference in a win for his team.''

Read more: Andrew Luck delivering on the hype so far, while Kevin Kolb's struggles continue - Peter King - SI.com

You mean like Ed Hochuli did to San Diego a few years back? That's the problem here, I get that the current refs truly stink, but the current ones aren't infallible either. Just handing over extra cash isn't going to fix the issue, there is more than money at stake.

Then again I think they should be chipping the football, doing far more with technology to make calls from the press box / insta-review many calls, and the like.

Last edited by gstelmack : 08-20-2012 at 08:38 AM.
gstelmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:04 AM   #1966
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Perreira on the Bengals/Falcons broadcast was interesting. He wasn't as concerned with the missed calls as the mistakes in the routine administration of the game. He pointed out clock issues, mistakes on penalty yardage(a 15 yarder only measured out at 13 yards), and the like. He pointed out probably a dozen mistakes of routine functions.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 AM   #1967
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

It was also fun when he and Goose got into a choke/slap fight toward the end of the game.

FUCK EA
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #1968
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
Then again I think they should be chipping the football, doing far more with technology to make calls from the press box / insta-review many calls, and the like.

+1. Considering the majority of the game of football is based on gaining 10 yards at a time, you'd think someone somewhere would be working to perfect technology to easily and accurately (a) spot the ball and (b) measure the necessary 10 yards.

Although I don't think much about it because we're so used to seeing the guys moving the chains, I'm still baffled some of the line technology that's pretty common in tennis, for instance, isn't used here.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:52 PM   #1969
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Rumors fly that league may go with one-man officiating crews | ProFootballTalk

This seems crazy enough to be a joke. But the article does not seem to be kidding.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1970
Logan
Head Coach

How the fuck would one guy be able to sort out a fumble recovery? It usually takes four guys to pull guys off the pile?

Or break up a fight?
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 02:00 PM   #1971
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
Rumors fly that league may go with one-man officiating crews | ProFootballTalk

This seems crazy enough to be a joke. But the article does not seem to be kidding.

I could see that happening someday. I always think it's strange when someone says a ref is "right there", as if it's easier to make a call when you're running down the sidelines, on a sunny day, having only one (possibly obstructed) view, with all the noise, as opposed to watching a monitor with multiple angles in an air conditioned room somewhere.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #1972
spleen1015
Coordinator

Just a ploy to get the refs to give in quicker.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #1973
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Just a ploy to get the refs to give in quicker.

Yep.

The NFL would have egg on its face after the first bench clearing brawl that a single ref couldn't break up.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1974
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ohhh, or one player could distract/argue with the ref while another hits an opposing player with a steel chair!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #1975
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If there is only one ref, the people that are best at holding will be the best players this season.

FUCK EA
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 PM   #1976
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
Ohhh, or one player could distract/argue with the ref while another hits an opposing player with a steel chair!

Maybe this is Goodell's plan to make more revenue for the NFL!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #1977
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe this is Goodell's plan to make more revenue for the NFL!

He would like to be addressed as Mr. Goodell.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:33 PM   #1978
tucker rocky
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I could see that happening someday. I always think it's strange when someone says a ref is "right there", as if it's easier to make a call when you're running down the sidelines, on a sunny day, having only one (possibly obstructed) view, with all the noise, as opposed to watching a monitor with multiple angles in an air conditioned room somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post

But wouldn't the games end in a "Dusty finish"?

Last edited by tucker rocky : 08-20-2012 at 03:35 PM.
tucker rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:44 PM   #1979
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
+1. Considering the majority of the game of football is based on gaining 10 yards at a time, you'd think someone somewhere would be working to perfect technology to easily and accurately (a) spot the ball and (b) measure the necessary 10 yards.

Although I don't think much about it because we're so used to seeing the guys moving the chains, I'm still baffled some of the line technology that's pretty common in tennis, for instance, isn't used here.

I could see putting a chip in for the goal line but no way you could determine forward progress with the chip with all the other factors like what hit where and where the ball was when the player was down all taken into consideration.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:05 PM   #1980
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sak View Post
I could see putting a chip in for the goal line but no way you could determine forward progress with the chip with all the other factors like what hit where and where the ball was when the player was down all taken into consideration.

You couldn't put sensors in the knees, elbows, hands and feet that could be calibrated with the ball to show where each is at?
Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM   #1981
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

LASERS. The answer is LASERS.

FUCK EA
Old 08-20-2012, 06:23 PM   #1982
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Make a smart whistle that kills the chip in the ball.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:25 PM   #1983
bhlloy
Coordinator

I think it would be incredibly simple to time each play, then you cross reference the time of forward progress with the position of the chip at that time and bobs your uncle. In replay situations would take one tenth of the time it takes right now
Old 08-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #1984
kingfc22
Head Coach

Vick just got slammed in the ribs.

Also, what the hell was the ref watching as the d-lineman for the Pats was practically tackled and no call for holding.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #1985
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Vick just got slammed in the ribs.

Also, what the hell was the ref watching as the d-lineman for the Pats was practically tackled and no call for holding.

Replacement refs...the gift that keeps on giving.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:32 PM   #1986
bhlloy
Coordinator

No need for Vick to be taking hits like that in the preseason. Just throw it away
Old 08-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #1987
bhlloy
Coordinator

Foles has now looked really good in two consecutive preseason snaps, so the Cardinals are trading a first and a second for him as we speak
Old 08-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #1988
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Foles has now looked really good in two consecutive preseason snaps, so the Cardinals are trading a first and a second for him as we speak

Ouch, sadly that's probably true for my beloved Cards. They've already lost LT Levi Brown for the season, so Kolb (or Skelton) will be running away from defensive linemen even more now. If Kolb doesn't improve this season, Coach Whiz, their QB coach, scouts in on it, etc should just be fired because Kolb has been pretty much embarrassing so far as a Cardinal.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #1989
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
You couldn't put sensors in the knees, elbows, hands and feet that could be calibrated with the ball to show where each is at?

Most players don't even wear knee pads...can you see them agreeing to strapping on sensors?
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #1990
PilotMan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
Replacement refs...the gift that keeps on giving.

I think it makes things much more interesting. I love random inconsistency. It adds unpredictability to the game!

Like Steam?
Join the FOFC Steam group here: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FOFConSteam

PilotMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:21 AM   #1991
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most players don't even wear knee pads...

... and then whine about the injury risk. Sigh.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:27 AM   #1992
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Quote:
Most players don't even wear knee pads...can you see them agreeing to strapping on sensors?

They can just be inserted when they get their annual knee surgeries.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #1993
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Wilson to get a shot at starting for the Seahawks.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #1994
M GO BLUE!!!
Pro Starter

Lions vs Ravens at 240 Frames Per Second from Josh Geha on Vimeo.

Putting the new Sony FS700 to the test during some full speed gameplay. All shots were handheld with no extra supports or attachments. All footage was recorded at 240 frames per second and is shown as it was shot straight from the camera.

Lions vs Ravens at 240 Frames Per Second on Vimeo
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #1995
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Wilson to get a shot at starting for the Seahawks.

Wade Wilson is 53 yrs old, I don't know how effective he's going to be at this point.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:59 PM   #1996
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

If Wilson plays like he has the first 2 games, he's gonna win the starting job. He's been really, really good.

FUCK EA
Old 08-22-2012, 01:40 PM   #1997
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Vilma needs to give it a rest already

Jonathan Vilma's Restaurant Features 'Do Not Serve Roger Goodell' Sign | Bleacher Report
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 PM   #1998
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post

There's nothing Vilma can do at this point to salvage his reputation among the fans of 31 NFL teams. He's seen as a bounty-hunting-SOB and will be for the rest of his career. Might as well play it up.
albionmoonlight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #1999
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
There's nothing Vilma can do at this point to salvage his reputation among the fans of 31 NFL teams. He's seen as a bounty-hunting-SOB and will be for the rest of his career. Might as well play it up.

The thoughtful fans and media (Grantland, PFT, Yahoo) have paid attention to critical aspects of the NFL's case since the smoke has cleared. One thing that situations like this will teach you (along with the airing of political opinions) is to recognize the type of people and media sources who buy into spoon fed sensational media clips are typically the same people and media who cling to the most convenient opinion possible.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #2000
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Michael-Vick-Injury-Bingo.jpg
GrantDawg is online now   Reply With Quote