Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-10-2023, 05:36 AM   #1951
GrantDawg
World Champion Mis-speller

Or people just really hate Skip Bayless.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
GrantDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:57 AM   #1952
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I hate Skip Bayless, but the controversy over his tweet is incredibly ridiculous and is either the result of purposeful misreading of his clear intent or insanely poor reading comprehension.

Skip Bayless has created the character that has earned the assumption of thinking everything he does is shtick. Others expressed the same sentiment including on this board but left out the "but how?" part. Because you know, the "but how?" part was SO irrelevant while Hamilin was laying on the field, it did not need to be said at all. Did I get what he meant when I read the tweet the next morning? Absolutely. I probably would have gotten it in the moment. I don't think it is ridiculous that someone would look at the tweet while Hamlin is on the field not knowing what his status was and view it as inhumane given what was going on on their TV at that point.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 07:04 AM   #1953
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Yep. It is a misreading, but when your entire persona is built on outrageous takes and you try to make a nuanced point in the midst of a tragedy, it's not anyone's fault but yours if it's taken the wrong way.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:57 AM   #1954
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

The Colts are currently sitting at #4 for the draft. Is it worth trading up a couple spots to make you get Bryce Young or CJ Stroud?

Or maybe they should trade back and try to get another offensive lineman and receiver so any new QB doesn't get killed.

Last edited by NobodyHere : 01-10-2023 at 09:59 AM.
NobodyHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:58 AM   #1955
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyHere View Post
The Colts are currently sitting at #4 for the draft. Is it worth trading up a couple spots to make you get Bryce Young or CJ Stroud?

100% worth it
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:13 AM   #1956
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

That does seem where Chicago should focus. Houston is definitely taking a QB and at the moment it looks like there are only two top QBs.
Old 01-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #1957
NobodyHere
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
That does seem where Chicago should focus. Houston is definitely taking a QB and at the moment it looks like there are only two top QBs.

Are da Bears all in on Justin Fields? Or could they be taking a QB as well? I have to imagine there is one team out there will overpay in a trade for Fields if they go that route.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:04 AM   #1958
Ksyrup

There are so many PFT, PTF, PFF, etc., football "scouting experts" that I don't know which is more reliable than others, but one of them I saw this morning suggested Young was going 1st to the Colts, Levis #2 to the Texans, Stroud #7 to the Raiders, Richardson #9 to the Panthers, and Tanner McKee to Minnesota at #28.

I've never even heard of Tanner McKee and I would be pissed if my team took Anthony Richardson in the top 10.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-10-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #1959
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Are da Bears all in on Justin Fields? Or could they be taking a QB as well? I have to imagine there is one team out there will overpay in a trade for Fields if they go that route.

They're all in-ish on Fields. No chance they draft a qb.

I don't think there's a gm anywhere with the balls to trade fields and draft another qb.

Last edited by Atocep : 01-10-2023 at 11:10 AM.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:05 AM   #1960
Ksyrup

Not when he hasn't completely failed AND you have a chance to improve the team so dramatically.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:22 AM   #1961
Coffee Warlord
Head Coach

No, next year is the come to Jesus season for Fields. The Bears, unless they massively fuck this up, will have real players on both sides of the line, an improved WR corps, and a vastly improved level of talent period.

If Fields still can't throw next year, with real talent, that's when Poles gives up on him.
Coffee Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:32 AM   #1962
bhlloy
Coordinator

Somebody is massively over drafting Richardson. We are a few weeks away from the start of the peak “OMG he threw a ball 130 yards on his knees over the goal posts into the arms of a make a wish child” reports.

I can totally see Levis going #1 for the same reason.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 11:48 AM   #1963
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I was reading some interesting things on how much of an outlier Young is in terms of size. I wonder if he'll drop because people are worried about how small he is.
Old 01-10-2023, 11:55 AM   #1964
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I have also read/heard that a lot of people aren't sold on Stroud either. The knock on him is that when everything's perfect, he's great, but once things start to fall apart or he feels pressure, things go very poorly for him.

In some ways that sounds a lot like the same types of criticisms that Jared Goff gets.

There is, also, the unfair concern about "OSU quarterbacks" in general not being terribly successful in the NFL.

I just hope that enough QB-hungry teams convince themselves they need these guys and move ahead of the Lions to get them, which will push other players down.

I am still incredibly annoyed at the dumb-ass Colts blowing that game against the Texans (Colts would have slipped behind the Rams in draft order) and the dumb-ass Raiders blowing that game to Baker Mayfield earlier in the season.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 12:06 PM   #1965
Ksyrup

It probably speaks to the uncertainty surrounding McVey but Liam Coen is for sure returning to UK as OC. It sounded like a done deal a few weeks ago, and then last week it became less certain. But in the interim, UK got Devin Leary out of the portal and the Rams season ended with considerable question marks. Coen singlehandedly turned Levis into what might be a top 5 pick. He struggled this past season without a good OC.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-10-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-10-2023, 01:43 PM   #1966
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Hard to see how the Ravens can pay Roquan 100 with 45 guaranteed and still sign Lamar.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:49 PM   #1967
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
Somebody is massively over drafting Richardson. We are a few weeks away from the start of the peak “OMG he threw a ball 130 yards on his knees over the goal posts into the arms of a make a wish child” reports.

I can totally see Levis going #1 for the same reason.
He & Levis won't surprise me at all if they're top 10, but we did at least get to the point where Malik Willis dropped so it's not a guarantee a team will fall in love with those toolsy guys.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:21 PM   #1968
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
How the hell do I tell my GF I'm a Lions fan

You tell her about Jamaal Williams. That guy is a national treasure.

From trying to end a post game interview because he wanted to play Pokémon, to getting emotional about breaking Barry Sanders rushing to record because he had recently lost his grandfather, to his interview about knocking Packers out of the playoffs. He's more entertaining than the team.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:33 PM   #1969
weegeebored
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post
No, next year is the come to Jesus season for Fields. The Bears, unless they massively fuck this up, will have real players on both sides of the line, an improved WR corps, and a vastly improved level of talent period.

If Fields still can't throw next year, with real talent, that's when Poles gives up on him.
This for sure. I'm not convinced he's an NFL passer on a consistent basis. He makes some great throws at times, and at other times he doesn't see open receivers. (And he gets too many balls knocked down at the line. wtf) If either of the two top QBs were "can't miss" there would be a decent chance the Bears would draft one of them. Many people love Young, but his size bothers me a lot. Aside from Brees, what 6' QB was successful in the NFL?

The other wrinkle in this is how good is Poles at evaluating talent? Pace was terrible and left the cupboard bare so Poles didn't get a fair shake in his first season. His draft was ok but the pick-ups along the way were not impressive at all so it leaves me with some doubts. And this is the Bears so I expect a massive fuck up. Force of habit.
Old 01-10-2023, 06:07 PM   #1970
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegeebored
Aside from Brees, what 6' QB was successful in the NFL?

The point is taken, but Kyler Murray? Doug Flutie was inconsistent but had some good years. I'm sure there are others.
Brian Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:12 PM   #1971
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Swartz View Post
The point is taken, but Kyler Murray? Doug Flutie was inconsistent but had some good years. I'm sure there are others.

Russell Wilson is another. Granted, he was pretty bad this year.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 01-10-2023 at 06:12 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:58 PM   #1972
henry296
College Starter

The Bears trade for Claypool turned out pretty good for Pittsburgh is it is now the 32nd pick.
Old 01-10-2023, 08:55 PM   #1973
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

This is rough, but shortest quarterback from each draft class with at least one career start, since 2010 (ties broken for the one with the most starts):

2010: Colt McCoy (6-1)
2011: Tyrod Taylor (6-1)
2012: Russell Wilson (5-11)
2013: Matt McGloin (6-1)
2014: Johnny Manziel (6-0)
2015: Taylor Heinicke (6-1)
2016: Cody Kessler (6-1)
2017: P.J. Walker (5-11)
2018: Baker Mayfield (6-1, actually 6-0 5/8)
2019: Kyler Murray (5-10, actually 5-10 1/8)
2020: Tua Tagovailoa (6-0)
2021: Ian Book (6-0)
2022: Malik Willis (6-1)

Young is 5-11, and rather lean compared to Murray. It's not unprecedented by any means, and he's not a running quarterback at all, but his lack of size is a concern. Didn't stop Brees.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:58 PM   #1974
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

According to the guy behind the relative athletic score, the fact that Young is under 200 lbs is also a major outlier.
Old 01-11-2023, 06:29 AM   #1975
GrantDawg

I bet he doesn't measure at 5'11 either. 5'10 maybe.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:20 AM   #1976
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I hate Skip Bayless, but the controversy over his tweet is incredibly ridiculous and is either the result of purposeful misreading of his clear intent or insanely poor reading comprehension.

As others have pointed out, you live by the sword and thus you die by the sword.
flere-imsaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:23 AM   #1977
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee Warlord View Post

This. It's important to remember exactly how awful the Bears were this year. They were essentially going Empty Cupboard. It's kind of weird how the Bears had a really quiet awful season.

I mean, this time last year everyone thought Trevor Lawrence wasn't going to make it as an NFL QB, but it turns out its hard to be a good QB, early in your career, on a tire fire of a team.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:58 PM   #1978
Ksyrup

I did not know this was a thing.

Old 01-12-2023, 05:11 PM   #1979
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post

It now makes total sense why the Patriots just signed this guy as their holder!

BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #1980
GrantDawg

Atlanta is going to be the neutral site for the AFC Championship Game, if needed. Bout time there was a NFL 0layoff game in Atlanta.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2023, 05:54 PM   #1981
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:

In the name of cost benefit analysis, what is the penalty?
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
Old 01-12-2023, 06:09 PM   #1982
Edward64
Head Coach

At least an ejection for the holder rest of the game (hey, QB2s aren't typically needed are they).
Edward64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:12 PM   #1983
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
In the name of cost benefit analysis, what is the penalty?

from footballzebras dot com
Quote:
by rule, this is unsportsmanlike conduct. According to Rule 11-4-5, “No article of any type may be placed on the field, or used in any manner, to assist a player in the execution of a field goal and/or [extra-point] Try attempt.”
Old 01-12-2023, 06:28 PM   #1984
miami_fan
Coordinator

Hmm, after seeing BYU's post, I definitely looking forward to watching the officials go running in to search the holder belt line for the mystery object and then tossing the flag in the air once they found it..
Old 01-12-2023, 11:34 PM   #1985
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup
It is a misreading, but when your entire persona is built on outrageous takes and you try to make a nuanced point in the midst of a tragedy, it's not anyone's fault but yours if it's taken the wrong way.

Hard nope on that. The fault for flying off the handle and overreacting is always, always with those why fly off the handle and overreact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flere-imsaho
, this time last year everyone thought Trevor Lawrence wasn't going to make it as an NFL QB, but it turns out its hard to be a good QB, early in your career, on a tire fire of a team.

Or even when it's not early in your career. The take on Goff a year ago was basically 'a guy off the street couldn't be much worse, trying the backups whoever they are'.
Old 01-13-2023, 08:25 AM   #1986
Ksyrup

Quote:
Hard nope on that. The fault for flying off the handle and overreacting is always, always with those why fly off the handle and overreact.

I would agree with you if what he said was clear and not easily misunderstood. That's not the case here, and his history is to always say/post provocative things, so I see no reason why someone should be at fault for reading into an ambiguous or poorly worded statement what someone like Skip Bayless always says in these types of situations.

In any event, I had almost forgotten Skip Bayless existed, but between this and the World Cup segues into his shit sandwich of a show, he's occupied way more space in my head than he should lately.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 01-13-2023 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 09:58 AM   #1987
flere-imsaho
Coordinator

Quote:
The fault for flying off the handle and overreacting is always, always with those why fly off the handle and overreact.

While I can agree with this in general, Bayless' schtick is literally flying off the handle and over-reacting. Karmic retribution is OK in my book.

On a side, note, I will never find it not funny that Skip's brother, Rick Bayless, is basically the polar opposite: Rick Bayless - YouTube
Old 01-13-2023, 11:58 AM   #1988
miami_fan
Coordinator

Mike Williams out 2-3 weeks with fracture in back, sources say

I am guessing this adds a bit more pressure on Brandon Staley. I get that injuries can happen at any point but for it to happen in last week's game after an injury plagued season was an unnecessary risk.
Old 01-13-2023, 11:59 AM   #1989
Brian Swartz
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSyrup
I would agree with you if what he said was clear and not easily misunderstood. That's not the case here

The whole point is that a lot of what's been said about his tweet is completely absurd relative to the tweet itself.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:11 PM   #1990
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
He & Levis won't surprise me at all if they're top 10, but we did at least get to the point where Malik Willis dropped so it's not a guarantee a team will fall in love with those toolsy guys.

I agree, but when Josh Allen was a 50% passer at Wyoming who could throw the football through the side of a barn but only if he managed to be accurate enough to hit the barn, I would have called him an overdrafted toolsy guy too.

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-13-2023 at 12:12 PM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:13 PM   #1991
Ksyrup

Quote:
The whole point is that a lot of what's been said about his tweet is completely absurd relative to the tweet itself.

I think it took on momentum and Twitter is famous for the pile-on, but in the moment, I don't think it was absurd to assume he was trying to be his same jackass self.
Old 01-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #1992
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Mike Williams out 2-3 weeks with fracture in back, sources say

I am guessing this adds a bit more pressure on Brandon Staley. I get that injuries can happen at any point but for it to happen in last week's game after an injury plagued season was an unnecessary risk.

Fireable offense IMO.
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 12:47 PM   #1993
bhlloy
Coordinator

Staley should give a quarter of his salary to Herbert and another quarter to Bosa. He's a few talented players away from being Nathaniel Hackett. After shitting away the playoffs last year he's now heading into the playoffs injuring his stars for no reason.
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 01:30 PM   #1994
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Fire Staley, interview whomever they need to and then trade for Sean Payton is likely the plan. They have enough picks to make it happen
stevew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 02:47 PM   #1995
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Quote:
I would agree with you if what he said was clear and not easily misunderstood. That's not the case here, and his history is to always say/post provocative things, so I see no reason why someone should be at fault for reading into an ambiguous or poorly worded statement what someone like Skip Bayless always says in these types of situations.

In any event, I had almost forgotten Skip Bayless existed, but between this and the World Cup segues into his shit sandwich of a show, he's occupied way more space in my head than he should lately.

I had never heard of him until this controversy started. As such, when I saw the tweet in question, I saw nothing wrong with it. Could have been clearer, but Twitter is not exactly the home of perfect prose and I thought it was clear enough that he was saying the nature of Hamlin's injury changed the discussion 100%.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 03:03 PM   #1996
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solecismic View Post
I had never heard of him until this controversy started. As such, when I saw the tweet in question, I saw nothing wrong with it. Could have been clearer, but Twitter is not exactly the home of perfect prose and I thought it was clear enough that he was saying the nature of Hamlin's injury changed the discussion 100%.

You had never heard of Skip Bayless before?? I am so jealous.
Last edited by thesloppy : Today at 05:35 PM.

Last edited by thesloppy : 01-13-2023 at 03:03 PM.
thesloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 04:10 PM   #1997
RainMaker
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
Fireable offense IMO.

Yeah. Barring a deep run, that's one of the dumbest moves I can think of. Something you can't do in a league where the margin of error is so tight.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2023, 07:28 AM   #1998
miami_fan
Coordinator

NFL officiating under scrutiny after Seahawks-Rams controversy
Old 01-14-2023, 08:57 AM   #1999
Ksyrup

The call on Ramsay is not the officials' fault IMO. It's the result of the NFL deciding the defender is always responsible for any contact and that QBs are to be protected at all costs - even if that means a QB running at near-speed up the sideline and initiating contact with a defender, who merely got into a protective posture so he could stay on his feet once he got hit.

The best thing the NFL could do is start flagging offensive players more often and being clear that offensive players are responsible for their own movements. And they should also realize that the way they penalize defenders is allowing offensive players to use those situations to their benefit. QBs have perfected the split-second half-slide as a way of drawing flags for hits to the neck/head area. They are inviting more concussions by allowing those types of plays to occur.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #2000
bronconick
College Starter

Way to lock the barn door while the horse is long gone again.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote