Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-02-2024, 04:30 PM   #151
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Arkansas is the next #1 seed to be ousted, beaten by #4 SEMO.

Oklahoma faces elimination vs Duke, but the weather has prevented that one from starting for the past two hours. ECU staved off elimination earlier, UCSB needs to hold onto a slim lead for another 3 innings to do the same.

Yeah very surprised Arkansas is out. duke/oklahoma has started now, Duke out ahead early. Looks like another Sun Belt team Louisiana is poised to take out Texas, ahead by 5 runs in the 8th.
Old 06-02-2024, 04:48 PM   #152
Atocep
Coordinator

WVU is in the Tucson region final. The loser's bracket game is DBU and GCU, which is 10-10 in the 8th.

If WVU can avoid losing 2 straight to whoever comes out of this it would be the first super regional in school history in coach Randy Mazey's last year.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 08:45 PM   #153
Thomkal
Head Coach

Sadly the Coach Gilmore era at Coastal ends as he heads into retirement after Coastal never led against clemson. It's unlikely anyone will be able to bring Coastal to this level again:

x.com

Last edited by Thomkal : 06-02-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2024, 10:19 PM   #154
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

GT far far exceeds my expectations by winning a couple games, before bowing to UGA by blowing a 5-2 lead over the final two innings and losing in extras.

Tennessee on the other hand made surprisingly short work of their regional, closing it out on Sunday.
Old 06-02-2024, 11:01 PM   #155
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Question that hit me yesterday was, if they win, what happens to the trophy?

Good question. Unfortunately we will never know. I guess it is not the cruelest ending if only because it is not in the title game but damn this is pretty cruel.

Birmingham-Southern's run ends in D-III WS after school's closing - ESPN
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2024, 08:33 PM   #156
Atocep
Coordinator

UNC/LSU was a great game that was, unfortunately, decided by a dropped flyball in the top of the 10th.
Old 06-04-2024, 01:35 AM   #157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
UNC/LSU was a great game that was, unfortunately, decided by a dropped flyball in the top of the 10th.

I was surprised over the weekend by how many games - especially in extra innings - seemed to be influenced by HBPs, especially leadoff ones.
Old 06-04-2024, 06:35 AM   #158
Ksyrup
This guy has posted so much, his fingers are about to fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Good question. Unfortunately we will never know. I guess it is not the cruelest ending if only because it is not in the title game but damn this is pretty cruel.

Birmingham-Southern's run ends in D-III WS after school's closing - ESPN

I'm guessing if they had won it all, someone would have filed a lawsuit challenging their right to hold the title since the school they represented became defunct and being a college-affiliated team is the only reason they were allowed into the tournament to begin with. That would be the American way, right?
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Ksyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 07:40 AM   #159
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

I didn't realize that one of Birm-Southern's pitchers was the grandson of Dave LaRoche/son of Adam LaRoche

LaRoche family reflects on the game as it is soaking in D-III College World Series – News-Herald
Old 06-04-2024, 07:48 AM   #160
Ksyrup

Yeah, Adam famously retired about a decade ago because the White Sox wouldn't allow his son in the clubhouse, as I recall. Now that son was a pitcher on the B-S team.
M's pitcher Miguel Batista: "Now, I feel like I've had everything. I've talked pitching with Sandy Koufax, had Kenny G play for me. Maybe if I could have an interview with God, then I'd be served. I'd be complete."
Old 06-04-2024, 08:08 AM   #161
Swaggs
Coordinator

Here is a retrospective article about it from a few years ago. I hadn't heard about it at the time, but remember reading this. LaRoche retired and surrendered $13M contract and Adam Eaton said "We have lost a leader in Drake."

‘It was kind of nuts’: 5 years later, former White Sox reflect on the Adam LaRoche saga - The Athletic

I thought it was a NY Times article, but it is behind the Athletic paywall.

Some gems:

Quote:
Drake was a little version of his father minus the beard, Saladino recalled, and players soon discovered that he was just as relaxed as his dad. If it hadn’t been for his 5-foot-3, 110-pound frame, you may not have noticed he was there. He took care of the pitchers during batting practice by running down fly balls, which allowed them to conserve energy. He assisted coaches when they were performing infield and outfield drills by catching return throws. And after games, he helped the clubhouse staff by gathering players’ cleats to be shined. If time permitted, he occasionally cleaned cleats.

“He was a really mature kid for his age,” Ventura said. “He was a good kid. I enjoyed having him around.”

Just as he’d been with the Nationals, Drake was a hit with the White Sox. He was even given his own locker stall in the clubhouse, right next to his dad’s, and wore a matching No. 25 jersey.

“The whole previous year, Drake was around, never a problem,” Duke said. “He helped out. Picked up shoes, balls, you name it. It was never an issue.”

Quote:
Williams explained his position later that same day during the team’s game against the Brewers. He insisted that the intention wasn’t to put Drake LaRoche in the middle of the issue, that nobody had considered him a distraction.

“I asked Adam, ‘Listen, our focus, our interest, our desire this year is to make sure we give ourselves every opportunity to focus on a daily basis on getting better,’” Williams said. “’All I’m asking you to do with regard to bringing your kid to the ballpark is dial it back.’ I don’t think he should be here 100 percent of the time. …

“We all think his kid is a great young man. I just felt it should not be every day, that’s all. You tell me, where in this country can you bring your child to work every day? …

“I want to be very clear on something. It’s not because the young man was a distraction, not because he wasn’t well-received or well-liked by players, management and everyone else.

“He’s a quality, quality young kid that one day might be a heck of a player one day.”

Quote:
“Here’s the deal,” LaRoche said. “There is next to zero jobs in this country where you can bring your kids to work. I mean, absolutely. It’s totally unrealistic. Unfortunately, I was just spoiled with the job I was in, that it was OK and he was kind of another employee. I can’t stress enough, zero hard feelings for them changing policy. Whether it was done right or not, who cares? That was my boss and you follow what the boss … It’s not my team.

“They have every right to change policy and do what they think they need to do to win and what fits their kind of mission. So, man, I totally get that. But, as an employee, I have the decision whether to stay and do that or not. I’m not going to stay there and just blatantly disobey the boss’ order, but I can walk away.

“If baseball was everything I had, if that was my identity, it would have been really, really difficult. It probably never would have happened, but I’m probably going to choose that over anything. So again, I’m very fortunate that as much as I love the game, it was pretty easy to walk away.”

Last edited by Swaggs : 06-04-2024 at 08:17 AM.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 03:43 PM   #162
miami_fan
Coordinator

OU softball ain't ready to leave Oklahoma City just yet.

I'm still not used to taking a quick glance at the TV, seeing the pitcher is on 130+ pitches and not wondering when the manager is going to go to the pen.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946

Last edited by miami_fan : 06-04-2024 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-04-2024, 04:16 PM   #163
Ksyrup

The final 3 teams for me is like trying to decide who to root for in CFB between Ohio State, Alabama, and Florida. There are no winners.

Sydney Berzon of LSU threw 14 innings and 208 pitches in the SEC tournament.
Old 06-07-2024, 08:13 AM   #164
Ksyrup

Oklahoma winning yet again was inevitable. Kinda sucks, TBH.

The craziest thing about it, though, is they beat their biggest rival with a #1 pitcher who transferred from their in-state rival. That's be like FSU beating Miami to win the CFB championship with Tim Tebow at QB. I can't imagine a better set-up to winning a championship and shoving it in your rivals' noses.
Old 06-08-2024, 03:30 PM   #165
Vegas Vic
Checkraising Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksyrup View Post
Oklahoma winning yet again was inevitable. Kinda sucks, TBH.

The SEC currently has 13 schools who have women's softball teams. All 13 made the NCAA tournament. Next year, Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC.
Vegas Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 05:29 PM   #166
Ksyrup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Vic View Post
The SEC currently has 13 schools who have women's softball teams. All 13 made the NCAA tournament. Next year, Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC.

Yeah, and that's unwarranted too. A couple of the SEC teams didn't deserve it. UK was one.

Just means more (to ESPN)!
Old 06-08-2024, 10:27 PM   #167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, and that's unwarranted too. A couple of the SEC teams didn't deserve it. UK was one.

Just means more (to ESPN)!

You mean the Kentucky that the coaches poll had as #28 in their ranking going into the post-season?

A poll that has one voting member from each of 32 conference, I guess they've been bought off too or something.

Or maybe the computer was bought off, the RPI had them at #34 in the end.

I don't give much fucks about softball frankly, but this sort of whining just makes people look silly.
Old 06-08-2024, 11:07 PM   #168
Ksyrup

It's all horseshit. They weren't a good team. The RPI game rewards teams for conference strength by boosting them just for playing their conference schedule. You highly rate all teams and your RPI stays high because of it. Meanwhile, you lose nearly all of those games. Hmm. At some point, it should be clear that the 12th/13th best teams in any conference do not deserve to play in the post-season.

It isn't whining. I don't have a team I wanted to get it. I actually support UK, have for years. But this year's team was mediocre and not deserving of a spot. I don't really care what the circle jerk effects of RPI or coach's polls suggested. Even a school like USC which got into the tournament knows they sucked - they just fired Bev Smith.

It'll be interesting to see how far down they go next year with bids with 2 auto-bids entering the conference.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-08-2024 at 11:08 PM.
Old 06-08-2024, 11:41 PM   #169
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's all horseshit. They weren't a good team. The RPI game rewards teams for conference strength by boosting them just for playing their conference schedule. You highly rate all teams and your RPI stays high because of it. Meanwhile, you lose nearly all of those games. Hmm. At some point, it should be clear that the 12th/13th best teams in any conference do not deserve to play in the post-season.

It isn't whining. I don't have a team I wanted to get it. I actually support UK, have for years. But this year's team was mediocre and not deserving of a spot. I don't really care what the circle jerk effects of RPI or coach's polls suggested. Even a school like USC which got into the tournament knows they sucked - they just fired Bev Smith.

It'll be interesting to see how far down they go next year with bids with 2 auto-bids entering the conference.

I had the same feeling about Ole Miss softball (and several others elsewhere tbh) BUT ... if you gotta fill a 64 team bracket, they have to come from somewhere. And given the hot start UK had, the two wins over Stanford most notably, I don't see any issue with them in the field. 2-2 vs ranked outside the conference, 23-8 non-con overall, that's a no-brainer to be in the field given the conference schedule otherwise.

Parity just isn't a thing in that sport at this point (really never has been), before it was SEC-dominant, it was Pac10 dominant. Even 32 viable teams in the tournament is probably pushing it frankly. You don't really need to be very good to make it in.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:31 AM   #170
Ksyrup

I don't disagree, but this goes back to my general philosophy of inclusion since we have not yet formally separated the power conferences from the rest. I'd love to make the SEC conference schedule mean something more than just a fight for hosting regionals/super-regionals. For instance, I'd be all for a rule that says unless you win your conference tournament, no team is eligible that finished in the bottom quarter of its regular season conference standings.

I don't doubt you'd knock out some "good" teams (relatively speaking), but it would make the regular season conference play mean something. It's embarrassing frankly that UK, Auburn and USC were 2 seeds with conference records of 8-16 or 9-15. That's why I think RPI is more of a system to be gamed than anything. Just playing conference, they all get a huge boost in RPI. And yes they schedule tough (or should) early on, but at that point winning those games doesn't matter as much as just playing them (unless you're fighting for a hosting slot, and even then the committee can find a reason to bump a team up or down). When a team cancels a late-season game against a #1 seed mid-major because even a win will hurt their RPI, that's not good for the game and shows you it's more about someone running numbers than just playing ball.

And if we're not going to make a power conference-only tournament, there's 300+ teams competing for the same thing. I'd reward more of them at the expense of more talented teams who couldn't beat their equals.
Old 06-09-2024, 08:50 AM   #171
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
And if we're not going to make a power conference-only tournament, there's 300+ teams competing for the same thing. I'd reward more of them at the expense of more talented teams who couldn't beat their equals.

Yeah, that's a pretty much a complete philosophical difference between us that we aren't realistically going to bridge.
Old 06-09-2024, 09:34 AM   #172
Ksyrup

I get it. But I think gifting more talented teams automatic bids not just to their own tournament but the NCAA tournament is ridiculous. If you want to be one of the big boys and enjoy those benefits, you should suffer if you are one of the worst of the best, as it were.

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-09-2024 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-09-2024, 05:19 PM   #173
Atocep
Coordinator

Clemson's CF just made as good of a catch as you'll ever see to save their season in the bottom of the 10th.
Old 06-09-2024, 07:45 PM   #174
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atocep View Post
Clemson's CF just made as good of a catch as you'll ever see to save their season in the bottom of the 10th.

Saw the replay-that was pretty special-and he almost misjudged/over ran it.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:11 AM   #175
Ksyrup

UK wins thanks to a pitcher not covering home and goes 2B to home on a wild pitch. There's nothing worse than your season ending on a 10U mistake.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:17 AM   #176
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
UK wins thanks to a pitcher not covering home and goes 2B to home on a wild pitch. There's nothing worse than your season ending on a 10U mistake.

He looked like he was just windowshopping in the mall or something. Just lazily strolling toward the plate without a care in the world.

Hella headsup baserunning but that pitcher just made himself a cautionary instructional meme.
Old 06-10-2024, 07:39 AM   #177
Ksyrup

He was completely clueless until the guy was 3/4s down the line and he saw him in his periphery.
Old 06-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #178
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
He was completely clueless until the guy was 3/4s down the line and he saw him in his periphery.

Your comparison to 10U is more appropriate for me. In my head he only reacts to the runner because a coach's veins are bulging out of his head screaming at him to cover the plate.

Has there been an official explanation for the ejections in the Clemson v Florida game? The announcers said Crighton was ejected for leaving his position but his position at the time was a baserunner and the out on the play ended the inning. He ran towards the skirmish but also the skirmish was in front of Clemson's dugout. Now I am reading that the ejection was for unsportsmanlike conduct which seems harsh to single him out when both teams were being very unsportsmanlike. Then the two Clemson coaches were tossed I guess because their player spiked the bat after hitting a home run?
Old 06-10-2024, 12:34 PM   #179
Ksyrup

That game was wild and those ejections ridiculous.The first explanation was Crighton contacted an ump which makes more sense than the revised version, absent some detail like he made a racist or over the line derogatory comment (or specifically directed something at an ump which is the best explanation I can come up with given his reaction when he found out he was ejected).

Last edited by Ksyrup : 06-10-2024 at 12:34 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM   #180
Ksyrup

I saw a social media post from the Omaha police about having thrown out a couple of TX A&M fans during the UF game for heckling the UF bench about the death of their bat boy. Pretty awful. Looked like a father/son duo, not sure?

Anyway, that was bad enough. Then I read the backstory of the bat boy's death. It goes far beyond just him. And I swear, I don't recall hearing about this when it happened, but I feel like it was tragic enough that I would have run across it. In 2021, the bat boy was 14 and his younger brother was 11. Their parents we're going through a divorce or at least separated, and the dad had recently lost his job. The UF head coach was a friend of the family and had gotten the 14 year old to be the bat boy on numerous occasions for the baseball team. Now, "friend of family" appears to have included a relationship with the mom, although I don't know if that's confirmed or not. Either way, Dad killed the wife, 2 sons and himself - likely due to all the circumstances of his quickly crumbling life, if not directly because of this relationship.

So THAT is the backstory. They were heckling the coach about being responsible for the bat boy's death. What POS.
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM   #181
Flasch186
Coordinator

Rex and Brody

There’s a baseball tournament in their honor we participated in a few years ago

It was a terrible thing to have happened in the area so the two hecklers really are despicable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is offline   Reply With Quote