Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 09-18-2016, 10:52 PM   #151
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I don't think he is himself anymore. He also never learned to pass protect, he isn't a threat out of the backfield, he makes the offense simple and predictable. When he is in, the defense only has to account for him if he is handed or tossed the ball, otherwise they can just go all out to the QB.

I think they'll be better off. If I am wrong, I'll admit it at the end of the season. I just don't think Peterson is good enough anymore to feature in an offense without him having other skills besides running with the ball. Minnesota can now be more dynamic without him.

Thanks for the explanation!

You have very valid points on a lot of this. I have had these thoughts numerous times especially when the offense is stagnant. I always blame the playcalling however because a sharp offensive mind should be able to adjust to the defense. The playcallers seem to think AP needs to touch the ball on 1st or 2nd down when he doesnt. Just use him as a decoy unless the defense changes it up. This part is frustrating to me.

I trust this Bradford situation much more with a balanced attack. I have a lot of worries if he can lead a pass happy team very far.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-18-2016 at 10:53 PM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 11:35 PM   #152
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think the way Hill played last week and the way Bradford played tonight should really get Vikings fans stoked. Zimmer is gonna have that defense rolling, and Bradford and Hill both are capable of doing enough to get them where they need to go. They're essentially the Broncos of the NFC with a little less depth at WR and a little better QB. I think they will have more success with McKinnon at RB too, because now maybe the opposing defense gives a little in the box and the run game can buy some space and carry a little more of the load for them. He also gives Bradford a great check down option.

They're my dads team, so I have kind of adopted them as a second team, especially with Zimmer coaching.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:30 AM   #153
TroyF
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
Thought hands to the face was one of those zero tolerance calls? Guess they missed that one on the sack.

You must have missed the Broncos/Panthers game on opening night. While there was one very notable hit not called on Cam, there were a multitude of missed calls on Carolina OL missing hands to the face calls. The hands to the face that actually WAS called, was on our DB as he was getting a hand shoved in his face at the same time.

But this just isn't Denver. I saw the Rams get away with a couple on the Seahawks yesterday. Zero tolerance just is not applying to that rule this year. Tons and tons of missed calls so far on it.
TroyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #154
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyF View Post
I don't have an issue with the rule. . . but the enforcement is just comical. If you are going to call taunting, call it. If you aren't, don't. I've watched most of the games the last two weeks and there is a ton of this stuff that happens in every game. 99% of the time it goes without a call. Then you get a random, out of nowhere call and someone gets 15 yards. Just stunning.

Exactly! I kind of think they need this yellow card thing to enforce this. Refs dont like to call it because it gives a team 15 yards however if a player taunts and could get a yellow card with no yards attached they would not be so cautious with this. One being the warning, Two meaning you are tossed.

Some of the penalty yardage at some point should be looked at. Two in particular I cant stand are 10 yard holding penalty's on run plays and the defensive pass interference. For having so much judgement involved in calling the pass interference I just have a hard time with it being so many yards. When Randy Moss was a Viking he'd rack up a 50 yard penalty on the defense every single game it seemed. Defensive holding is only worth 5 yards and an auto first down when more often than not a defensive holding occurs because it is preventing a huge play from the offense. Basically the dback or linebacker took a false step and grabs to prevent the player from being wide open.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-19-2016 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:56 AM   #155
Dutch
"Dutch"

That's a great idea for football...not a great idea for the NFL that wants to give the offense as much benefit as possible.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #156
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
That's a great idea for football...not a great idea for the NFL that wants to give the offense as much benefit as possible.

True!

I just think its odd that a corner can be close to the receiver and just bump him too early or make too much contact and that can be a 25-50 yard penalty while if a corner aggressive and out of control jumps a stop and go and gets beat just grabs the player it is only a 5 yard penalty. I think every hold on offense should be 5 yards from the spot of foul and loss of down. Anything over 10 yards should be gone as it cripples either the offense or defense especially the offense but to be fair to the defense the same yardage restriction should be in place. As things are a 10-15 yard penalty on the offense leads to a loss of possession as a punt is soon coming. Refs have a lot more control over games than I would like.

As a Vikings fan I would have rather not seen that game end the way it did last night. It was probably interference but that also goes uncalled a lot as well. Trae Waynes was getting picked on a lot last night and a couple of them calls were very questionable.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-19-2016 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #157
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Exactly! I kind of think they need this yellow card thing to enforce this. Refs dont like to call it because it gives a team 15 yards however if a player taunts and could get a yellow card with no yards attached they would not be so cautious with this. One being the warning, Two meaning you are tossed.

Agreed. I would also like to see players get tossed for personal fouls at the end of games. Michael Bennett at the end of the Seahawks - Rams game yesterday. He tries going over the top on the kneel down, the line stops him, and he starts crap. The best way to nip stuff like this is suspend him for the next game.

The launch over the top I am ok with. Starting crap because you are going to lose the game I have issues with.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:05 PM   #158
Thomkal
Head Coach

Tsk, Tsk Seattle:

Seahawks lose draft pick for violating offseason rules - NFL.com
Old 09-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #159
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Adrian Peterson's wife says he's already walking after knee injury vs. Packers - SBNation.com
Old 09-19-2016, 02:06 PM   #160
MrBug708
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

Carroll just can't stop
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:27 PM   #161
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Torn Meniscus for AP. Typically a 3-4 week injury I believe.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:58 PM   #162
Thomkal
Head Coach

Two weeks, two QB's down in Cleveland. McCown ouy for Week 3, rookie Cody Kessler will start. He's probably off praying somewhere right now.

Danny Woodhead out for season now too. Jonathan Stewart out 1-2 weeks as well.

DeMarcus Ware out for Denver-had surgery on broken arm. out 5 weeks.

Last edited by Thomkal : 09-19-2016 at 03:03 PM.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #163
QuikSand
lolzcat

Quote:
Two weeks, two QB's down in Cleveland. McCown our for Week 3, rookie Cody Kessler will start. He's probably off praying somewhere right now.

Danny Woodhead out for season now too.

Five different QB starters in their last five games. Yowza.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 03:05 PM   #164
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
Five different QB starters in their last five games. Yowza.

Yeah goes beyond cursed I think.
Old 09-19-2016, 03:10 PM   #165
wustin
College Prospect

When is Terrelle Pryor gonna play QB for Cleveland. No way that won't happen this season.
wustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #166
cuervo72
Head Coach

Cool with Wentz not forcing things there (Cousins!).
Old 09-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #167
cuervo72
Head Coach

Special treat? It's an effing ad for your show, ABC.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:13 PM   #170
bhlloy
Coordinator

That play illustrates pretty much why Cutler sucks. That was hardly a blindside rush. Just throw it away.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #171
Dutch
"Dutch"

Cutler has to be the creepiest looking QB of all-time.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #172
bhlloy
Coordinator

Are we sure Cutler is even the best QB on this team?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 PM   #173
wustin
College Prospect

Don't care how bad Cutler is, Hoyer is not seeing the light of day after that wild card game against the Chiefs last year.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #174
bhlloy
Coordinator

And Cutler hasn't had a team sniff the playoffs in 4 years. I'd take Hoyer any day.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 PM   #175
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Cutler era in Chicago should have ended 4 years ago. He is a decent NFL quarterback(in comparison to the Browns situation) but the team's ceiling for the past few years has been about 9 wins. Something about the Bears make them not want to change even when things arent good.

I am sure a few head coaches in the league could turn Cutler into a top 10 quarterback. This situation in Chicago is just bad for everyone(players, fans, coaches).

The Eagles were able to pretty much re-assemble a new team over the past 2-3 years and have some optimism for this season while the Bears just sit with basically the same team year after year winning 5-8 games.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 09-19-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #176
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wentz looks mighty impressive though
Old 09-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #177
Dutch
"Dutch"

Maybe I've missed the transformation from the Chip Kelly era, but this Eagles team in general has looked impressive.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:44 PM   #178
bhlloy
Coordinator

My sinking feeling that the Rams picked Leaf over Manning is growing. Obviously hyperbole after two games, but one can't get on the bench and the other has looked the best of any rookie QB through two games I can remember
Old 09-19-2016, 11:04 PM   #179
CrescentMoonie
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
My sinking feeling that the Rams picked Leaf over Manning is growing. Obviously hyperbole after two games, but one can't get on the bench and the other has looked the best of any rookie QB through two games I can remember

Ryan Leaf started and won his first two games. Same with Sanchez. Wentz looks very poised, but he only put up 190 tonight with a 5.6 average. Also, Goff was the #2 yesterday.
CrescentMoonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:27 PM   #180
bhlloy
Coordinator

Wow, sitting on the bench behind the immortal Chase Keenum makes me feel better, thanks
Old 09-19-2016, 11:31 PM   #181
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Marino sat behind David Woodley for half a season.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 PM   #182
bhlloy
Coordinator

Stop ruining my irrational Jared Goff hate thread kthx
Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 AM   #183
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Regardless of his actual readiness, if Goff can't beat out pocket lint like Chase Keenum(and Shawn Man-whatever) on his worst day there is an issue.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:22 AM   #184
larrymcg421
Head Coach

But do we yet know whether that's a Goff problem or a Fisher problem?

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:59 AM   #185
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Thumbs down

No idea of it is a Fisher problem, but that seems likely.

You'd have to go back a long time for a top 5 pick at QB that wasn't an almost immediate starter.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 AM   #186
bhlloy
Coordinator

Here's my take on Goff. And I'm very aware that there's more than a passing similarity to another Cal QB that I was sure was going to be a bust, so I'm completely prepared to look foolish in a few years on this

- Although he put up video game numbers in college, he was something terrible like 2-10 with pedestrian stats against top 25 teams. He also never passed the eye test for me personally, looked awful against USC even when they didn't have a great defense and just generally didn't perform anytime I saw him in a big game
- Doesn't have standout physical traits at an NFL level, small hands, not elite arm strength, not a great runner. Not bad in any of those categories, but we are talking about a #1 pick here
- Rumours he's not the best leader and doesn't have the greatest work ethic, which the preseason and hard knocks really did nothing to dispel. I think there's a ton of smoke around the week one roster move as well, I love Sean Mannion more than anyone on the board in all likelihood (had Oregon State in the FOFC NCAA league while he was there) but there's 50 Sean Mannion's in the league. To me, it's Fisher basically saying he needed to shape up and wasn't impressed at all with what he'd seen.

A lot of subjective stuff there, and I know lots of smarter people disagree (PFF loves him and thinks he was the clear pick) but I'd just rather have Wentz almost across the board. Great work ethic, seems to already have the locker room in Philly, physical specimen and great runner etc...

The knock on Wentz is that he put up his video game numbers in D2 but really the more you dig into who Goff put his numbers up against the less impressive they look. I'd take Wentz in a heartbeat
Old 09-20-2016, 02:08 AM   #187
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
But do we yet know whether that's a Goff problem or a Fisher problem?

I hate Fisher far more than Goff, but by all accounts he was flat out bad in camp and preseason and nowhere near ready. I'm not sure how much you can really blame Fisher for that.

He's not Christian Hackenburg though so the Rams have that going for them?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 AM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
No idea of it is a Fisher problem, but that seems likely.

You'd have to go back a long time for a top 5 pick at QB that wasn't an almost immediate starter.

2007 JaMarcus Russell maybe?
Old 09-20-2016, 11:44 AM   #189
Butter
Coordinator

Side note: "Jabustus" is my favorite football nickname maybe of all time.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:13 PM   #190
Cap Ologist
College Prospect

It's smart for Fisher to keep him on the bench as long as possible for his own job security. If he plays right away, looks unprepared and plays like crap, there's less reason to give Fisher that extension he doesn't deserve. If he plays after the season is lost and manages to look better than Keenum or Mannion, it buys Fisher another year or two of being the most mediocre yet most arrogant coach on the competition committee.
Cap Ologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 01:31 PM   #191
Thomkal
Head Coach

Don't worry Cleveland fans, Charlie Whitehurst is there to save the day:

Charlie Whitehurst set to sign with Browns - NFL.com
Old 09-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #192
Thomkal
Head Coach

maybe the preseason means something after all?:

Hmm: Perfect preseason teams all remain undefeated - NFL.com
Old 09-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #193
QuikSand
lolzcat

Chargers sign Dexter McCluster. So obvious.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:03 PM   #194
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Packers brought in CJ Spiller for a visit today.
Old 09-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #195
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Don't worry Cleveland fans, Charlie Whitehurst is there to save the day:

Charlie Whitehurst set to sign with Browns - NFL.com

Clipboard Jesus!
Now get the start and win enough to keep DW4 from ending up a Brown..
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:25 PM   #196
wustin
College Prospect

This is great.

Many of the Browns scouts fired before the draft favored Carson Wentz - CBSSports.com
Old 09-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #197
Thomkal
Head Coach

where is that Capt Picard facepalm meme when you need it?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #198
Logan
Head Coach

Congrats to Marcus Cooper, NFC DPotW
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #199
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Goff may suck, but until he is let go, the answer will always always be Fisher. He is terrible.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #200
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Goff may suck, but until he is let go, the answer will always always be Fisher. He is terrible.

BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote