Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 05-16-2016, 05:40 PM   #151
tarcone
Coordinator

This Blues/Sharks is going to be a lot different than the previous 2, I think.

LET'S GO BLUES!!!!

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #152
Dutch
"Dutch"

Lightning are showing some resilience with their patchwork lineup.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #153
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Lightning are showing some resilience with their patchwork lineup.
I want to root for them more due to it, but the Drouin thing still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:32 PM   #154
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Eight minutes from overtime?

(with that said a goal will probably be scored a minute after I post this)
EagleFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:07 PM   #156
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

The Penguins needed that. Going down 0-2 after two home games can be a death blow.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:18 PM   #157
Dutch
"Dutch"

It's still amazing to me how much of a difference 5-on-5 is vs. 4-on-4. 2 scoreless periods followed by 45 seconds of mass chaos.

Oh well, glad we stole one from Pittsburgh now to take 2 at home.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #158
henry296
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
It's still amazing to me how much of a difference 5-on-5 is vs. 4-on-4. 2 scoreless periods followed by 45 seconds of mass chaos.

Oh well, glad we stole one from Pittsburgh now to take 2 at home.

No 4 on 4 OT in the playoffs.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #159
Dutch
"Dutch"

Really? I had no idea! Now I know how Donovan McNabb felt.
Old 05-17-2016, 07:51 AM   #160
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
The Penguins needed that. Going down 0-2 after two home games can be a death blow.

They haven't lost 2 in a row since January. What they are doing in that respect is pretty remarkable imho
muns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 08:54 PM   #161
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Someone let me know when the Blues start playing hockey.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:07 PM   #162
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

I'm going to make this SIMPLE. Hits were 41-21 Sharks tonight. I've said this many times, but HITTING is a HUGE key to success in the playoffs.

Quit dressing Paajarvi and get Reaves out there.
Old 05-20-2016, 11:13 AM   #163
Arles
Grey Dog Software

These last two games have been brutal. The Sharks look quicker, tougher and have better goaltending. The Blues need to do something to snap back into form in game 4 or this will be a quick series. I agree on Reaves.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #164
MacroGuru
Coordinator

I am disappointed in the Blues, I have been cheering for them since they hit the playoffs this year.

However, it made me sick to see a ton of empty seats in the Sharks arena and their team is playing for the conference championship...it's sad..
Old 05-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #165
britrock88
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroGuru View Post
I am disappointed in the Blues, I have been cheering for them since they hit the playoffs this year.

However, it made me sick to see a ton of empty seats in the Sharks arena and their team is playing for the conference championship...it's sad..

Could it have anything to do with the start time? That's never helpful to California teams in the postseason.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:27 PM   #166
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

More to do with ownership. The team sold out every game for nearly 20 years. For whatever reason, when they blew up the coaching staff prior to last season and shipped out a bunch of role players, they lost a lot of faith with the fans.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:50 PM   #167
bronconick
College Starter

The Golden State Warriors being 35 miles away during a 73-9 season probably plays a role too.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:20 PM   #168
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Well done tonight BLUES!!!
Old 05-21-2016, 09:31 PM   #169
tarcone
Coordinator

Whew. I was worried about the Blues. Thought the series was over.

Nice rebound. New series.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:41 PM   #170
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
Whew. I was worried about the Blues. Thought the series was over.

Nice rebound. New series.

We need THIS Blues team night in and night out! Hope Backes and Fabbri are ok for Game 5.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:29 PM   #171
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Back from a hellish trip, at least I can catch a little of a game 7.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #172
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It's mind-blowing to me that the Sharks are playing in the Stanley Cup Finals.
Old 05-27-2016, 06:31 AM   #173
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
It's mind-blowing to me that the Sharks are playing in the Stanley Cup Finals.

Vince, catch me up on why that is? Being a Pens fan, I don't get to see a lot of the Western Conf. I mean I know names, but have no idea about their style of play and so on.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:06 AM   #174
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

The Sharks routinely come up with absurd ways to lose in the postseason. 4OT losses, losing a series after being up 3-0 and out-scoring your opponent 15-2 in the first three games, winning the President's Trophy and losing in the first round. The Sharks have a huge history of being a dominant regular season team and then choking in spectacular fashion in the playoffs. They made the postseason something like eleven straight seasons and only made the conference finals twice, boasting a 1-8 record in those finals.

With all of the postseason trauma, everyone expected them to blow up the team several times - and they never did. Last season they didn't make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, and they STILL didn't blow up the team. And yet somehow they are playing amazing hockey right now and have a shot at Lord Stanley's Cup.

I really, really hope they can beat the Penguins, not only because I've been a fan for 25 years, but because if there is anyone in all of sorts who "deserves" a championship, it's Joe Thornton. The guy has been fantastic for so long, is truly a class act off the ice, and his brilliance is largely ignored out here on the West Coast for a team who is consistently great but can't get it done in the post-season.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #175
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Both the Lightning and the Blues looked like tired teams their last games while the Pens and the Sharks looked fresh and ready.

Lighting's coach attributed injuries at the end of the season and the playoffs on the wear and tear, for the Blues, I was confused...I felt they should have beat the Sharks..but hell, I don't know much about it other than I love watching Hockey.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #176
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
The Sharks routinely come up with absurd ways to lose in the postseason. 4OT losses, losing a series after being up 3-0 and out-scoring your opponent 15-2 in the first three games, winning the President's Trophy and losing in the first round. The Sharks have a huge history of being a dominant regular season team and then choking in spectacular fashion in the playoffs. They made the postseason something like eleven straight seasons and only made the conference finals twice, boasting a 1-8 record in those finals.

With all of the postseason trauma, everyone expected them to blow up the team several times - and they never did. Last season they didn't make the playoffs for the first time in a decade, and they STILL didn't blow up the team. And yet somehow they are playing amazing hockey right now and have a shot at Lord Stanley's Cup.

I really, really hope they can beat the Penguins, not only because I've been a fan for 25 years, but because if there is anyone in all of sorts who "deserves" a championship, it's Joe Thornton. The guy has been fantastic for so long, is truly a class act off the ice, and his brilliance is largely ignored out here on the West Coast for a team who is consistently great but can't get it done in the post-season.

I wish ya luck on the series Vince. Few more hours till we kick this bad boy off. Looking forward to seeing how the speed for the Pens matches up with the Strength of the Sharks.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:44 PM   #177
muns
Pro Starter

Sharks were very aggresive on that penalty kill. Was surprised at how far out they were going. Bothered the pens. Will be interesting to see if that continues and what and what adjustments are made

Sent from my SM-G730V using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #178
muns
Pro Starter

That escalated rather quickly

Old 05-30-2016, 09:00 PM   #179
muns
Pro Starter

Pens dominated first period. San Jose dominated the 2nd. Hell of a game. All tied at 2

Old 06-01-2016, 10:18 PM   #180
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Wow.. Pens are a fast team. I never thought they would be up 2-0 in this series, well done!
Old 06-02-2016, 08:41 AM   #181
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post
Wow.. Pens are a fast team. I never thought they would be up 2-0 in this series, well done!

It's been an interesting series so far. The sharks have had plenty of opportunities to do major damage and haven't taken total advantage of the situations they put themselves in. The Pens literally sat on their heels during the 3rd period, and were begging the sharks to win it. They were lucky the sharks only scored 1 goal there.

It will also be interesting to see what more adjustments get made going back to San Jose. The sharks started changing up their lines in the 3rd period as well, and it made a difference.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #182
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah View Post

And I thought San Jose was fast against the Blues.

Blues better get bigger or faster or both.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 AM   #183
MacroGuru
Coordinator

If it wasn't for Malkin, I would be rooting for the Pens. But they sold their soul and brought him on.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:17 PM   #184
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

It feels like the Penguins have dominated, but they only have two 1-goal wins to show for it. Then again, they have two wins to show for it. The Sharks really let an opportunity slip away last night - the third period was theirs for the taking, and five post shots notwithstanding, they still should have won. When Murray sat on the puck with about 15 seconds left, I thought they had it.

If the Sharks can make some adjustments and take care of home ice, I really like their chances. That being said, Pittsburgh has been faster and generally better the whole time so far, and they only need to win two out of five.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:31 PM   #185
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
And I thought San Jose was fast against the Blues.

Blues better get bigger or faster or both.

No doubt.. I truly believe the Chicago series took a lot out of the Blues, then add another 7 games series vs Dallas and to me, they really looked wore down, minus a few players. Steen was hurt as well as Backes, so that didn't help.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:50 PM   #186
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Hertl out for game 3 with a lower body injury. This does not bode well for the Sharks, as he's basically been their best player throughout the first two games.
Old 06-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #187
muns
Pro Starter

Is it me or does the ice look dark? Like there isn't enough lightning?

Old 06-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #188
kingfc22
Head Coach

That was a much needed result. Hope this can go the distance.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:04 PM   #189
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Yeah, hard to feel anything but relief after that. They're still being outskated.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 AM   #190
muns
Pro Starter

Quote:
Yeah, hard to feel anything but relief after that. They're still being outskated.

While I agree they are still being outplayed, they had stretches where they had sustained offensive zone time which they didn't have in the first 2 games. It will be a series if they keep that up. While my Pens lost, it was a fun game to watch.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #191
britrock88
Pro Starter

Great series to watch. Glad SJ could exorcise some demons from their postseason history with a SCF win.
britrock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:03 PM   #192
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Trying to decide whether or not to drop $600 on a ticket to Game Four tonight or not. I've never been to any playoff hockey, let alone a Stanley Cup Finals game. And I've been to multiple World Series games, a Super Bowl, and I have tickets to Game 5 of the NBA Finals next Monday, as long as LeBron and Co. can pull out at least one win at home.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:41 PM   #193
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Trying to decide whether or not to drop $600 on a ticket to Game Four tonight or not. I've never been to any playoff hockey, let alone a Stanley Cup Finals game. And I've been to multiple World Series games, a Super Bowl, and I have tickets to Game 5 of the NBA Finals next Monday, as long as LeBron and Co. can pull out at least one win at home.

I would like to see a sweep but for your sake I'll pull for 1-1 in Cleveland so you can see the clincher. (not like my pulling for that will mean anything in the grand scheme of things)
Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #194
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

So I'll call the evening a wash. Found tickets for $450 ($550-ish after fees), almost couldn't get in because the venue doesn't accept StubHub tickets on the phone. Had to call a friend and have them log into my email to send me a PDF of the tickets so they could scan them at the door. Watched the Sharks play incredibly uninspired hockey for two periods, but the excitement of the Stanley Cup Finals and a mid-third period goal made the game not a total loss. Sat next to a Pittsburgh Penguins fan the entire game, who happened to be young, female, single, and very pretty. We hit it off well, and I left with her phone number.

All in all, a pretty good night, if not for terrible hockey.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:05 PM   #195
EagleFan
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
who happened to be young, female, single, and very pretty. We hit it off well, and I left with her phone number.

Nice.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:22 PM   #196
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

As for actual hockey analysis (what little I could pay attention to with a cute girl who was enjoyable to talk to sitting next to me):

Sharks played possibly their best game of the series tonight, which is ironic when you look at the result. There were long stretches of great hockey, but a few blown coverages and a Penguins team that just can't seem to fail to take advantage of every opportunity they are given and you're down 3-1. The Sharks had a ton of opportunities tonight, and again couldn't capitalize on any of them. Most of that is great goaltending by Murray and some fantastic defense by the Penguins, to be fair. Watching this series I've been struck by how effortless almost everything the Penguins do looks. They seem to just easily get into the Sharks' zone, or to clear it from their own. Meanwhile, the Sharks need to bust their ass to get anything done.

Pavelski has absolutely disappeared in this series, and Thornton isn't really doing a ton more. I'm much less confident in my analysis of hockey defensemen, but it seems like Vlasic has also been rather sub-par the whole time. I don't know hockey well enough to be able to spot if that's the Penguins' game plan or if it is just the players not stepping up when necessary. It's rather disappointing to see where the series has gone, because I think Martin Jones has been fantastic, and his defense has left him out to dry several times. It feels like with a couple of different bounces (off the post, specifically) and it would be a completely different series. Which is weird, because I feel like the Penguins have completely out-classed the Sharks nearly the entire series.

Edit: I feel like emphasizing how incredible the Penguins defense has been. The Sharks have gotten so incredibly few clean looks it is absurd. It seems that every time they try to put a puck on net there is someone (or several someones) in the way. The Sharks aren't playing terrible hockey - and the Penguins are just denying them everything.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 06-06-2016 at 11:27 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:31 AM   #197
Dutch
"Dutch"

Reminds me of how I felt watching the Lightning/Penguins series. They are fast and everywhere.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:36 PM   #198
muns
Pro Starter

Already a very exciting game. Can't believe how this one started
Old 06-09-2016, 07:38 PM   #199
cartman
Death Herald

Location: Le stelle la notte sono grandi e luminose nel cuore profondo del Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by muns View Post
Already a very exciting game. Can't believe how this one started

+1

Four goals in the first 6 minutes!
So I dig deeper but still comin' up with lint
cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:50 PM   #200
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Where the f&$% are the penalty calls against Pittsburgh???? Two hooks go uncalled.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote