Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-09-2016, 11:45 PM   #151
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
who's coaching the Bengals next year? Hue?

Gruden or Cowher but Cowher would never do it.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:26 AM   #152
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

I think a Lewis fire only makes sense for the right coach. Not some untested rookie coach.

It calls for....

Tom Coughlin

I am not kidding. I would throw a shit pot of money at someone to get Coughlin in there,

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent

Last edited by Abe Sargent : 01-10-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 12:31 AM   #153
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I think a Lewis fire only makes sense for the right coach. Not some untested rookie coach.

It calls for....

Tom Coughlin

I am not kidding. I would throw a shit pot of money at someone to get Coughlin in there,

His age worries me as does the fact his clock management isn't any better than Lewis'.
Old 01-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #154
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Bengals not expected to make coaching change.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 05:56 PM   #155
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Of course not. It's like people have forgotten that Mike Brown runs things. If he let Shula lose and stay, there's no way he's firing the guy that wins.
Old 01-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #156
rowech
Pro Starter

There was an ad on during the GB-WAS game maybe 20 minutes ago advertising for Cincinnati fans to buy their 2016 season tickets now.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #157
cuervo72
Head Coach

There was one here for the Redskins. Probably a slot devoted to that for all of the markets.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:19 PM   #158
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Of course not. It's like people have forgotten that Mike Brown runs things. If he let Shula lose and stay, there's no way he's firing the guy that wins.

We've regularly seen head coaches that got their team to the playoffs and kept losing a lot get fired in order to get over the hump. The owner or GM wanted to push things to the Super Bowl level. While that has happened a few times, it rarely works. Often the team takes a step back or crashes to the ground, and then a few years later, people are looking at that run as the "glory days" of the team, we've seen this happen a lot with frequent flyers but not deep runs into the playoffs.

the more likely result of cutting Lewis free seems to me to take a step back and start missing the playoffs altogether than to take a step forward and start winning playoff games.

Old 01-10-2016, 06:29 PM   #159
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

They'll almost certainly take a step back next year as it is. They'll lose their OC and possibly DC, a number of free agents that thy can't afford to pay and they'll have the division winner schedule. With the likely hangover from this lose and the quotes about lack of discipline all season weighing on the team, they'll be likely to be a few games under this years total.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:09 PM   #160
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Adam Gase doesn't excite me as a Dolphins fan, too many first time losers have already been through the door (Cameron, Sparano, Philbin). Though I wonder why they brought in yet another offensive guy when they haven't had success with any of the others they've hired?

I do think Gase is a better pick than Mike Smith or Shanahan. Though I think I'd have rather kept Dan Campbell, if we're going with another offensive guy.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:47 PM   #161
corbes
College Benchwarmer

Eagles interviewed Doug Pederson today
corbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #162
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Quote:
...the division winner schedule.

Is this still even a thing? That's two games per season that are different.

NFL Schedule:

6 games against your division.
4 games against opposite conference division (rotating).
4 games against same conference division (rotating).
2 games against the two other same conference division teams that finished in the same slot as you.

True, that's two games against difficult opponents...but it's not like this is the end of the world here.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 09:05 PM   #163
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Adam Gase doesn't excite me as a Dolphins fan, too many first time losers have already been through the door (Cameron, Sparano, Philbin). Though I wonder why they brought in yet another offensive guy when they haven't had success with any of the others they've hired?

I do think Gase is a better pick than Mike Smith or Shanahan. Though I think I'd have rather kept Dan Campbell, if we're going with another offensive guy.

This is all about giving Tannehill his final chance with the organization. Well that and there is very little chance any of the retreads the team would never take this job given the organization's current reputation around the league.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:04 PM   #164
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Then they probably shouldn't expect any change of fortunes either.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:30 AM   #165
miami_fan
Coordinator

Rex hired Rob to be DC for the Bills. That will be fun.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:33 AM   #166
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

Kirk Cousins' free agency coming at a very significant time for Washington.

I could see it going any number of ways. I could see Bill Barnwell writing a column three years from now about how the Cousins' contract killed Washington's cap and how it should serve as a warning to teams wanting to sign guys to big money based on a low sample size.

I could also see him writing an article three years from now about how--despite all of Dan Snyder's attempts at making splash moves in the draft and free agency--quietly drafting Cousins in the middle rounds was the most important move that the team made in the last twenty years and the reason that they are the Super Bowl favorites.

Or, most likely, somewhere in between.

What's fair value for him? In what tier of QBs should he be paid?

Last edited by albionmoonlight : 01-11-2016 at 08:34 AM.
albionmoonlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:42 AM   #167
QuikSand
lolzcat

I think Cousins can/will get something like 4/60. Setting aside what that says about society and all that stuff, I think that's what it takes to keep him from the open market, and it's probably roughly what he would land if he made it there. He'll stay.
QuikSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:51 AM   #168
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

That seems to be a shorter version of the Tannehill contract. That seems about right.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:56 AM   #169
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami_fan View Post
Rex hired Rob to be DC for the Bills. That will be fun.

apparently he did not watch any Saints games this year. If they weren't related no way he hires him I think.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 01:45 PM   #170
Thomkal
Head Coach

So where does RGIII end up?

RG3 cleans out locker, leaves Redskins a parting note | FOX Sports
Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #172
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
He should have left three words...

You Like That?

It's been pretty clear that ever since they drafted him, the Redskins were not sure RGIII would work in DC. He'd get hurt, or wouldn't live up to the hype. Now they can both go their separate ways, and we will see if another team can make it work with him.

Last edited by Thomkal : 01-11-2016 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #173
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post

I wonder whose going to overpay for someone with his injury history and be disappointed when he's injured most of the time?

Someone will.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:36 PM   #174
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Arizona should offer RG3 a backup spot behind Palmer. There's only 14 active players left in his draft class(and 3 from 2002). Odds are that Palmer will be out of the league in about 2 seasons.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #175
SteveMax58
College Starter

Quote:
I wonder whose going to overpay for someone with his injury history and be disappointed when he's injured most of the time?

Someone will.

We havent figured out where Chip Kelly will land yet so...
SteveMax58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 PM   #176
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuikSand View Post
I think Cousins can/will get something like 4/60. Setting aside what that says about society and all that stuff, I think that's what it takes to keep him from the open market, and it's probably roughly what he would land if he made it there. He'll stay.

I think that's pretty low. The franchise tag is about 20-25M if they don't want him to go on the open market. If he goes on the open market, some team will pay way more than that to get him. I think you're underestimating how QB-starved a number of teams are.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:19 PM   #178
bhlloy
Coordinator

Yeah, I think 15m is the absolute starting price for Cousins and probably a bit higher. There are 10 teams in the league who would kill for what he did over a full season this year.
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:41 PM   #179
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Burfict suspended for 3 games next season.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #180
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
That is far too high of a price for him.

In case it wasn't clear, I meant someone will pay more than 15M/year for him on the open market, not more than the franchise tag, due to supply and demand. In his position, if he wants to maximize cash, he should force Washington to pony up for a much better deal or use the franchise tag to keep him around. It would be awful PR if Washington didn't retain him and tried to trot out Hoying for example, so they're fairly stuck unless Cousins has a awful agent.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:58 PM   #181
Thomkal
Head Coach

Looking like St Louis and San Diego might be the winners of the LA lottery:

Momentum running against Oakland Raiders in NFL L.A. relocation, reports L.A. Times - Athletics Nation
Old 01-11-2016, 09:20 PM   #182
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

It won't happen, but I'd love the three cities to band together and say if any team leaves the other(s) will never get public financed stadium improvements. STL and SD leaving would screw the Raiders and boy would that be fun to see play out.

Last edited by JPhillips : 01-11-2016 at 09:55 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 PM   #183
cuervo72
Head Coach

Heh, that's what I said to some a few days ago. Having two AFC teams move to the same city would be too radical, StL moving made more sense, and owners can stick it to a Davis.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:58 PM   #184
stevew
Hall Of Famer

I don't think 2 AFC teams are allowed in same city
Old 01-11-2016, 10:26 PM   #185
cuervo72
Head Coach

Ok, having two teams move there would be messy - because one would have to move to the NFC. And then you'd additionally have to figure out who to move out of the NFC (and they probably wouldn't make it as easy as returning Seattle).
Old 01-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #186
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Is it city or media market? The two stadium plans are in different cities if I remember correctly.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:44 PM   #187
cuervo72
Head Coach

The original plan from OAK/SD had them playing in the same facility. Though...I'm not sure if there is a set radius. There may be.

Last edited by cuervo72 : 01-11-2016 at 10:45 PM.
cuervo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:55 PM   #188
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Is it city or media market? The two stadium plans are in different cities if I remember correctly.

Carson and Inglewood are 10-15 miles away from each other. The different cities part is about as much of a technicality as you could get, I very much doubt the NFL is that stupid
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:06 PM   #189
kingfc22
Head Coach

Wasn't there new talks with the Rams and Chargers going in with a single stadium?
Old 01-11-2016, 11:13 PM   #190
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
It would mean striking a bargain that keeps the Raiders out of L.A. but doesn't leave them empty handed. Such a maneuver could mean that the Raiders return to Oakland in the short term, but can explore relocating to other cities, among them San Diego, St. Louis or joining the San Francisco 49ers in their new stadium in Santa Clara.

You know it's too bad the NFL couldn't compensate Davis by putting money towards a new facility or anything.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:39 AM   #191
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomkal View Post
Looking like St Louis and San Diego might be the winners of the LA lottery:

Momentum running against Oakland Raiders in NFL L.A. relocation, reports L.A. Times - Athletics Nation

I doubt Mark Davis can come up with a $500 million dollar relocation fee and the money needed to put towards his share of the stadium in LA.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #192
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfc22 View Post
Wasn't there new talks with the Rams and Chargers going in with a single stadium?

It was originally the Chargers and Raiders having the same stadium in Carson, with the Rams having a stadium in Inglewood. But... it seems like the idea is to have the Rams and Chargers move to Inglewood:

NFL consensus builds for a Rams-Chargers stadium project in Inglewood - LA Times
Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #193
BillJasper
Pro Starter

I'm thinking Oakland will have to come up with a deal soon or else the Raiders will end up in St. Louis, in 2017.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #194
albionmoonlight
Head Coach

If you are Kirk Cousins, you need to think in terms of long-term value. Any contract he signs is going to be large. He could certainly maximize this particular deal by insisting on hitting UFA.

But, in D.C., he's got a coach who is 100% behind him, a coach who knows how to use him, and a large media market that (currently) loves him. Personally, I'd take $15 million/year for that over, say, $19 million/year to go to Cleveland or Houston or some other unknown situation.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'm thinking Oakland will have to come up with a deal soon or else the Raiders will end up in St. Louis, in 2017.

That'd be kind of hilarious if that actually happened. So the Raiders have moved from Oakland to LA, back to Oakland, and then in attempting to move to LA, end up in St. Louis.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:52 AM   #196
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by albionmoonlight View Post
If you are Kirk Cousins, you need to think in terms of long-term value. Any contract he signs is going to be large. He could certainly maximize this particular deal by insisting on hitting UFA.

But, in D.C., he's got a coach who is 100% behind him, a coach who knows how to use him, and a large media market that (currently) loves him. Personally, I'd take $15 million/year for that over, say, $19 million/year to go to Cleveland or Houston or some other unknown situation.

He'll have an agent in his ear, talking about disrespect if the Redskins don't match the highest offer and will likely end up in a terrible situation by going where the most money is at.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM   #197
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
I think that's pretty low. The franchise tag is about 20-25M if they don't want him to go on the open market. If he goes on the open market, some team will pay way more than that to get him. I think you're underestimating how QB-starved a number of teams are.

I think you may be overestimating it a bit.

1). We have RG3 hitting FA soon. Maybe Colin as well. They are likely to get some looks. There are some others that hit the street that are interesting.
2). A lot of teams that gambled for 1st rounder QBs the last two years have hit on their selections, or seem to. Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, Mariota, and Winiston all look good. Normally you'd have one or two or three in there that were crap, and reduce things. All look set.

So that reduces the number of teams looking, and there are competitors on the market that are interesting this year or next year.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #198
Logan
Head Coach

RG3 and Kaep are going to be viewed as reclamation projects. Seem like very different markets.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:10 PM   #199
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abe Sargent View Post
I think you may be overestimating it a bit.

1). We have RG3 hitting FA soon. Maybe Colin as well. They are likely to get some looks. There are some others that hit the street that are interesting.
2). A lot of teams that gambled for 1st rounder QBs the last two years have hit on their selections, or seem to. Bridgewater, Carr, Bortles, Mariota, and Winiston all look good. Normally you'd have one or two or three in there that were crap, and reduce things. All look set.

So that reduces the number of teams looking, and there are competitors on the market that are interesting this year or next year.

I think Cousins has an edge on RG3 and Kaep as they were QBs appearing to be trending downward (from starters to backups) vs Cousins who improved as the year went on and started for a playoff team. Objectively, it's possible they're closer than is acknowledged now, but if you're an owner selling hope, easier to do that with Cousins.

2. is an interesting point, but off the top of my head, Eagles, Rams, Browns, Texans, 49ers are in pretty dire need of a QB, and I think that's a big enough market to drive up the market.
Old 01-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #200
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
It was originally the Chargers and Raiders having the same stadium in Carson, with the Rams having a stadium in Inglewood. But... it seems like the idea is to have the Rams and Chargers move to Inglewood:

NFL consensus builds for a Rams-Chargers stadium project in Inglewood - LA Times

Yep.. SD and Rams to Inglewood, it's all but confirmed. Oakland will get some sort of NFL money to get a stadium I'm guessing.

Two teams in my lifetime.. the NFL can go F themselves.

I'll continue to watch the Chiefs and this seasons playoffs, but next year just might be the time I move on and invest that time into other local sports.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote