Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #151
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
Well, this got interesting. RU has rallied back and is now tied 52-52 with IU. Kyle Federico has missed an XP and had one blocked, and RU failed a pair of 2-pt conversions.

Oh man that was nuts. My heart can't take many more of those.

And now I have to watch the Mets.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Rutgers & Washington coach Bowl Bound-BBCF
General Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:35 PM   #152
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I really feel for the punter. That's going to take a long time to get over.
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #153
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I love that gif more than just about anything.

lmao...yeah, pretty solid response from that kid.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:38 PM   #154
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think we could put up 40 on Indiana with a random group from this board and a week of practice.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:45 PM   #155
tarcone
Coordinator

That was crazy. Just an unbelievable ending.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 07:14 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
I mean, they've made 2 conference championships in 3 years and are sending folks to the NFL, what more do you want? They've lost some pretty fluky games this year. You want to see dumpster fire, try Rutgers.

Are you really seriously counting "two" conference championship appearances in 3 years when one of those is a 7-7 season? A year where their bowl eligibility was in question as I recall.

Before this season, the past five years they're 39-28 (aside from last season's fluke they're 28-25 over that span) and 2-3 in bowls, 1-4 vs Georgia.

Add in this season and .500 is here during that span. In other words, aside from last season's magic, the program is mired in meh.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #157
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by digamma View Post
Thanks for supporting the team. Thumbs up!

I've been withe 'em since Pepper F'n Rodgers, who was at least entertaining. And when you literally couldn't give away tickets (okay, that's been most of my lifetime, granted). I also knew when it was time for Bill Lewis to go .. same as it's time for CPJ to get his oversized ego & undersized ability the fuck out.

If that's too plain for some weak-willed GT folks, so be it. The number of fucks I give who that bothers approaches a negative number. At least I give enough of a damn not to accept mediocrity as their potential. At this point anyone NOT on board with cleaning out this sinking ship is part of the damned problem just as much as the football staff.
Old 10-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #158
cmp
Pro Rookie

Maybe I should just be done with sports. Still can't believe that Michigan finish. So depressing.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:10 PM   #159
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post
Maybe I should just be done with sports. Still can't believe that Michigan finish. So depressing.
It wasn't Michigan's year anyway. Before you get too depressed just think where Michigan football was a year ago.

Is Pat Haden faking fainting spells now so people give him a little bit of sympathy?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #160
tarcone
Coordinator

On ESPN, there is a video of Lazard from Iowa St. Going 74 yards f a TD. The title of the video says "Iowa goes 74 yards for a touchdown"

I hate ESPN

Old 10-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #161
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

I am sure the Punter had extra instructions "kick the ball out of bounds" or "kick the ball high" which took his focus from just catching the damn ball. Very tough for Michigan fans to stomach I am sure but like a previous poster said the future is very bright with Harbaugh running things now. From last year to all but beating a top 10 team this early in the Harbaugh regime is a very positive sign.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #162
booradley
High School Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmp View Post

I broke my jaw it hit the ground so hard
Old 10-17-2015, 08:57 PM   #163
cmp
Pro Rookie

If it wasn't Michigan State it wouldn't be as bad. I know as Michigan fans were supposed to say the OSU game matters more but I don't personally know any Buckeye fans. But I know a bunch of State fans who will be sure to remind me of this finish til next October.
cmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:20 PM   #164
tarcone
Coordinator

Losing to little brother is the worst.

Old 10-17-2015, 09:38 PM   #165
MrBug708
Head Coach

I'm sure it was legit when Haden collapsed, but it certainly makes it easier for him to step down as AD for health reasons
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 09:47 PM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Georgia with a 9-6 win over Missouri that seems to have been like the SEC version of Wake vs BC.

And I have to give Florida a lot of credit for their effort against LSU.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:24 PM   #167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

VERY interesting to see one of the local TV sportscaster (Fred Kalil, now at Ch 46, for those who know Atlanta) pretty much call out CPJ just now after the game story. Said hefty buyout or not it might be time to consider doing just that if things don't turn around AND referenced the old "don't point the finger, point the thumb" adage about taking responsibility but "apparently Paul Johnson doesn't live by that credo".

For a consistently blase Atlanta TV sports media (hell, virtually non-existent in the past few years), that was shocking. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone from Atlanta TV call out anybody like that for any reason.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #168
MizzouRah
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Georgia with a 9-6 win over Missouri that seems to have been like the SEC version of Wake vs BC.

And I have to give Florida a lot of credit for their effort against LSU.

Mizzou returns an INT right off the bat to the 1 yard line and can't score a TD. Pretty much sums up our pathetic offense this season.

What a job by our defense though.. feel for those guys. Not that Georgia has a slouch defense.. but we would be getting KILLED if it wasn't for our defense as we can't even convert a 3rd down.
MizzouRah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:47 PM   #169
Solecismic
Solecismic Software

Coach Nickerson should have had Rifleman take a knee rather than handing off to Salvucci.

There are days like this when I vow never to see another college game.
Solecismic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:12 PM   #170
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

That was brutal to watch.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 11:41 PM   #171
bhlloy
Coordinator

Utah trying to make the Michigan punter feel better. That was bizarre
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:49 AM   #172
Kodos
Resident Alien

Only IU could blow a 25-point second half lead like they did. I just finished watching. I feel sick. The strange thing is, I had a bad feeling about the punt that started off the landslide. Sure enough, it goes over the punter's head and is returned for a TD. This is the kind of loss that could submarine the rest of our season.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:29 AM   #173
Kodos
Resident Alien

Holy shit. Just saw the MSU win. Awesome! Makes me feel a bit better after a horrid, horrid Indiana loss.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:09 AM   #174
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
Holy shit. Just saw the MSU win. Awesome! Makes me feel a bit better after a horrid, horrid Indiana loss.

When you give up over 500 yards a game, you don't deserve a single win in my opinion. Its incredible how bad the Indiana defense is.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #175
tarcone
Coordinator

When do the playoff rankings come out?

Old 10-18-2015, 02:00 PM   #176
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
When you give up over 500 yards a game, you don't deserve a single win in my opinion. Its incredible how bad the Indiana defense is.

They give up way too many big plays.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:09 PM   #177
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
They give up way too many big plays.

Turnovers and not being able to give the defense a breather late in the game didn't help
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF
Old 10-18-2015, 03:18 PM   #178
bob
College Starter

Top 12 basically play off over the last 5-6 weeks to see who gets in the top 4. Not including any conference championship games:

1. Ohio State (Mich St.)
2. Baylor (TCU)
3. Utah (-)
4. TCU (Baylor)
5. LSU (Alabama)
6. Clemson (FSU)
7. Michigan State (Ohio St)
8. Alabama (LSU)
9. Florida State (Clemson)
10. Stanford (Notre Dame)
11. Notre Dame (Stanford)
12. Iowa (-)
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #179
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Top 12 basically play off over the last 5-6 weeks to see who gets in the top 4. Not including any conference championship games:

1. Ohio State (Mich St.)
2. Baylor (TCU)
3. Utah (-)
4. TCU (Baylor)
5. LSU (Alabama)
6. Clemson (FSU)
7. Michigan State (Ohio St)
8. Alabama (LSU)
9. Florida State (Clemson)
10. Stanford (Notre Dame)
11. Notre Dame (Stanford)
12. Iowa (-)

Note that with more upsets, Florida, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St., and Texas A&M are hovering outside that, also with games against each other and the list above. Some good games ahead.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #180
bob
College Starter

Quote:
VERY interesting to see one of the local TV sportscaster (Fred Kalil, now at Ch 46, for those who know Atlanta) pretty much call out CPJ just now after the game story. Said hefty buyout or not it might be time to consider doing just that if things don't turn around AND referenced the old "don't point the finger, point the thumb" adage about taking responsibility but "apparently Paul Johnson doesn't live by that credo".

For a consistently blase Atlanta TV sports media (hell, virtually non-existent in the past few years), that was shocking. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone from Atlanta TV call out anybody like that for any reason.

I took my daughter to the game yesterday (one advantage of the debacle this season was 1st row seats for 20 bucks). I've been following the team since I was freshman in '97. I've never seen a more "couldn't care less" crowd. Zero buzz on campus at all.

I'm not sure what to think of Tech as a program at this point. They can't afford to fire him due to the extension for at least a few seasons. And when he does leave, they will likely suck for a few years during the personnel transition as long as the new coach doesn't stick with that offense.

Realistically I'm not sure what the ceiling really should be for Tech. But I do know that the fans would likely be more forgiving if CPJ wasn't such an unlikable asshole that just knows he's right all the time. Reminds me of Charlie Weis.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:53 PM   #181
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I took my daughter to the game yesterday (one advantage of the debacle this season was 1st row seats for 20 bucks). I've been following the team since I was freshman in '97. I've never seen a more "couldn't care less" crowd. Zero buzz on campus at all.

My last game in person (and my son's first) was the great Gardner-Webb near debacle a few years ago. Honestly, I haven't had the slightest desire to be at a game in person since. Granted, outside of HS football, I've never been big on the actual game experience pretty much anywhere so that's not entirely just a Tech thing.

Quote:
Realistically I'm not sure what the ceiling really should be for Tech. But I do know that the fans would likely be more forgiving if CPJ wasn't such an unlikable asshole that just knows he's right all the time. Reminds me of Charlie Weis.

Amen to the latter part for sure. As for the former, I don't entirely know either. What I do know is that if you accept a ceiling of basically 7-8 wins avg over 4 years then, well, how much point is there? Given modern scheduling with 1-2 wins over I-AA teams plus 12 game seasons, plus bowl games, that's virtually the definition of mediocrity. You're playing .500 ball against peers and can still win 7.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:59 PM   #182
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

This guy gets paid to write this...
College Football News Rankings: Week 7 No. 1-128 | College Football News
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:13 PM   #183
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

http://onlineathens.com/sports/colle...schott-offense

I know the game was ugly but the tone in the local coverage here was pretty rough.

Here's the headline to that story I linked
Malcolm Mitchell helps UGA overcome 'No Schott' offense

Among the interesting lines

In a working offense and with an SEC-level quarterback, Mitchell’s speed and skills would stretch the field in the passing game and lead to glory and touchdowns.

Instead, he’s stuck doing the dirty work while Brian Schottenheimer calls for Greyson Lambert to make quick throws around the line of scrimmage.

It was almost No Schott in Sanford — Part Two.

and

It’s seemingly always field goals.

And it’s Mitchell that wills Georgia into position.

It makes you miss Mike Bobo. It makes you miss Aaron Murray.

“(Aaron) could tell me before the play where he was going to throw the ball, where I was going to be open and I’d be like, OK,” Mitchell said. “He’d go out there and do it.”

That’s not what the Georgia offense has now.

While that may not seem like much, it's among the harshest critiques I've ever seen in the Athens paper. Local media knows which side its bread is buttered on so for them to go after Schottenheimer that hard I can't help but wonder if he's already on his way out the door.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #184
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CU Tiger View Post

I know it's all about clicks, but how can you rank a team #1 and start the justification with this:

Quote:
This is hardly the best-looking team in college football
Old 10-18-2015, 05:02 PM   #185
bob
College Starter

Quote:
As for the former, I don't entirely know either. What I do know is that if you accept a ceiling of basically 7-8 wins avg over 4 years then, well, how much point is there? Given modern scheduling with 1-2 wins over I-AA teams plus 12 game seasons, plus bowl games, that's virtually the definition of mediocrity. You're playing .500 ball against peers and can still win 7.

I think in a 4 year cycle give their schedule, 10, 9, 9, and 7 - 8 wins should be the measuring stick. Maybe you catch lightning and pull an 11 win season like last year, and maybe you have a bad year and drop to 5 - 6 once a decade, but the ACC isn't exactly a murderers row.

I just hope neither Mercer or Georgia Southern beat Tech next year.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #186
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Just like Florida State last year, I feel you're the champs and No.1 until someone knocks you off or you have a significant shift in talent.

For me, Ohio State is still No. 1.

Last edited by BillJasper : 10-18-2015 at 05:17 PM.
BillJasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:23 PM   #187
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think in a 4 year cycle give their schedule, 10, 9, 9, and 7 - 8 wins should be the measuring stick. Maybe you catch lightning and pull an 11 win season like last year, and maybe you have a bad year and drop to 5 - 6 once a decade, but the ACC isn't exactly a murderers row.
I tend to agree. Problem there might be the fact that the 35-36 wins in 4 years standard you just set (and that was pretty much what I was thinking initially) represents a mark that has only been done twce since the middle of Bobby Dodd's tenure.

O'Leary had 35 wins from 98-01, the Gailey/Johnson combo did it '06-'09 ... and that's it. Every other 4 year sequence comes up short, and in fairness I'll note that includes the years around national championship in 1990.

Also worth noting here IMO is this little tidbit: 98-01 stretch saw them go 3-1 against Georgia, 06-09 they were 1-3. In my lifetime, they're 13-36 against them for a .265 winning percentage.

Maybe that's really the question here: is it fair or reasonable to expect anything more than them being in the largely meaningless large mass of so-so programs/teams? And every graduating class beating Georgia only once? If that's the case -- and the history and the numbers suggest that it might be the reality -- then I'm just not sure how much emotional investment that's worth to me at this stage of my life. Maybe they just simply belong in the same category with a lot of other things now, a casual water cooler topic and an occasional "that's cool, good for them".

Quote:
I just hope neither Mercer or Georgia Southern beat Tech next year.

Georgia Southern on their schedule will pretty much always worry me I think.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #188
bob
College Starter

Quote:
Maybe that's really the question here: is it fair or reasonable to expect anything more than them being in the largely meaningless large mass of so-so programs/teams? And every graduating class beating Georgia only once? If that's the case -- and the history and the numbers suggest that it might be the reality -- then I'm just not sure how much emotional investment that's worth to me at this stage of my life. Maybe they just simply belong in the same category with a lot of other things now, a casual water cooler topic and an occasional "that's cool, good for them".

I'll admit when I started being a GT fan likely deludes my thoughts on things. Took me 5 years to get through Tech with co-oping, so 98-01 was right in my college years and the beginning of my fan hood.

Tech basketball has largely moved to "who cares" status in the Atlanta area, and football isn't too far behind.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:31 PM   #189
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Maybe that's really the question here: is it fair or reasonable to expect anything more than them being in the largely meaningless large mass of so-so programs/teams?

As an outsider, that's where I'd put them. They're a Saturday filler team.

(And I generally like GT, would root for them in most matchups, and would put them on the fairly short list of places I'd like to see my son go [interested in aerospace eng.])
Old 10-18-2015, 08:16 PM   #190
bronconick
College Starter

Quote:

It's no ESPN's FPI, though. They have USC 6th, Ole Miss 9th, and Tennessee 13th.
bronconick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:56 PM   #191
bhlloy
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronconick View Post
It's no ESPN's FPI, though. They have USC 6th, Ole Miss 9th, and Tennessee 13th.

That formula really heavily weights the bottles of tequila drank by the coaching staff on the way back from away games though, to be fair
bhlloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:07 PM   #192
Suicane75
Coordinator

Quote:

Don't really see much wrong with what he wrote. Ole Miss can't be that high based on their 2 loses, but other than that he's looking at it pretty logically.

I'd much rather a guy did it that way than just say, well Ohio State had the best talent coming into the year so let's just leave them at #1 until they lose, even if a bunch of other teams look better actually playing the game.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:17 PM   #193
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Don't really see much wrong with what he wrote. Ole Miss can't be that high based on their 2 loses, but other than that he's looking at it pretty logically.

I'd much rather a guy did it that way than just say, well Ohio State had the best talent coming into the year so let's just leave them at #1 until they lose, even if a bunch of other teams look better actually playing the game.

WAY too much weight put on head to head results. Trying to make sense of head to head is how you end up with Texas as the 21st best team in the country.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:38 PM   #194
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, it gets silly at the end, but I think generally he gets the top half of the top 25 better than most others. And when Texas loses again it wont matter. Though I can the point of Texas' loses being against stellar competition, it's still 4 loses.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #195
Kodos
Resident Alien

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Mike View Post
Turnovers and not being able to give the defense a breather late in the game didn't help

Congrats on the win. Your team didn't give up when it would have been easy to.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:32 PM   #196
Logan
Head Coach

Rutgers' Leonte Carroo has 21 receptions, 472 yards, and 9 TDs in 13 quarters of action.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 AM   #197
General Mike
Pro Starter

Quote:
Congrats on the win. Your team didn't give up when it would have been easy to.

they showed a heck of a lot more heart then Scarlet Nation did, myself included.
Nebraska Coach FOFC-BBCF

Last edited by General Mike : 10-19-2015 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:20 AM   #198
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Heck of a week for Utah schools...

BYU beats Cinci with a strong 4th QTR

USU lays the smack down on Boise State

and

Utah remains undefeated and takes the ASU monkey off their back.

As much as it pains me to say this, Utah is having a special season so far.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:13 AM   #199
CU Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suicane75 View Post
Yeah, it gets silly at the end, but I think generally he gets the top half of the top 25 better than most others. And when Texas loses again it wont matter. Though I can the point of Texas' loses being against stellar competition, it's still 4 loses.

I can't even give it that much credit.
Ole Miss is ranked 7th because they beat Bama who has beat...whom exactly? Oh yeah. UGA.

Arkansas is ranked 29th at 2-4 with a loss to Toledo...pretty much invalidates all other arguments at this point.

UGA is 31st at 5-2

Houston is 45th at 6-0
CU Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #200
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Rutgers' Leonte Carroo has 21 receptions, 472 yards, and 9 TDs in 13 quarters of action.
What's the inside read on that arrest/suspension? Was it a misunderstanding/something like him trying to break up a fight, or did he really assault a girl and they're letting him play because the coach needs W's?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote