Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-02-2014, 11:49 PM   #151
digamma
Torchbearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
UGA fans have had a similar reaction.

You may know this off-hand better than me (proximity & all), I'm too lazy to look it up atm ... what sort of FCS options would he have back in NC? Elon came to mind off hand, NC A&T I guess. Who am I leaving out?

(some early speculation has been that he might look closer to home)

James Madison
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:50 PM   #152
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I know people are going to say that (Alabama was still thinking about Auburn), but this was a team that racked up over 500 yards of offence. They seemed pretty "in" the game. Turnovers were what killed them.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:10 AM   #153
dubb93
Grizzled Veteran

SEC has looked human this bowl season. Even in winning efforts, the games have been close. As someone who watches Sportscenter, I'm shocked.
dubb93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:15 AM   #154
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
I know people are going to say that (Alabama was still thinking about Auburn), but this was a team that racked up over 500 yards of offence. They seemed pretty "in" the game. Turnovers were what killed them.

Turnovers and defensive missed assignments are generally a sign of an unfocused team.

The offensive output had a lot to do with playing catch up the entire game.

I know we cant really prove if they were focused or not but to me this didnt look like the focused bama squad we usually see and Oklahoma jumped on the opportunity.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 AM   #155
MalcPow
College Benchwarmer

Boomer!
MalcPow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:50 AM   #156
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

They racked up yardage due to talent. Turnovers and sacks on offense and lackluster performance on defense points to them not being on their game. I'm still pissed about the whole thing, but I also understand the graduating class just finished one hell of a run even with the loss.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:02 AM   #157
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmooth View Post
This Henry kid is insane...
Jump on the bandwagon (Back from October 2012 after I watched a Yulee game)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Bama recruiting-wise, I know RB isn't exactly a weak position right now, but Derrick Henry looks like a beast
I know, not exactly going out on a limb to say that about a 5* RB, but I'd take him over Yeldon, Lacy, Drake, Tenpenny, Hart, Ingram.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:28 AM   #158
clemsonfan
High School JV

So our house is going to be divided tonight. I am a huge Clemson fan, born with orange running through my veins, and my husband (Butter of 69) is a huge Buckeye. No matter who wins tonight, someone is going to be unhappy.
clemsonfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:09 AM   #159
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthean View Post
Funny to say that considering 'Bama had 362 total yards at half.

I guess the good news is 'Bama likely couldn't have played worse. The problem being I don't think their D can contain OU long enough to overcome the 14 points. I figured it was either 'Bama will a big win, or they will play like crap since they were not in the title game. I guess I'm getting my answer. A ton of yards only goes so far.

It's almost as if it had nothing to do with the team on the other side of the field. I realize there are kids involved and mentality has a lot to do with it, but it's a nice cheap way to not give credit to the team they are playing.

Alabama's a bit of a paper tiger this year. They were thought of as some juggernaut but they only beat 2 teams that are currently ranked (LSU and A&M) and neither are going to finish in the top 10.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 AM   #160
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

If 'Bama mentally shows up in their last two games, they are playing for the title. Period. Yes, Auburn and Oklahoma did their part, but even Saban said after the LSU game the team started to lose focus, and it finally caught up with them. The problem with winning so much is you take things for granted and teams start putting a bulls-eye on you. The good news for 'Bama is with the loses from various players and somebody else being the defending champ they can focus on reloading and not being so much the team to beat even though it will likely make a team's season if they beat the Tide.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:58 AM   #161
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Turnovers and defensive missed assignments are generally a sign of an unfocused team.

Or, you know, the turnovers could be due to Oklahoma's defense (the last fumble definitely was, for instance ).

Usually when a team is 'unfocuses', they get torched in the 1st Quarter and then can't catch up. At the end of the 1st Quarter it was 14-10 OU. So was Alabama focused and then got unfocused in the 2nd Q, because they suddenly remembered the Auburn game?

This is just an attempt to excuse the SEC getting beat, and its tiring to constantly see it over and over again.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #162
Logan
Head Coach

This "lack of focus" bullshit needs to stop. It's pretty pathetic.

Trevor Knight impressed the hell out of me last night. Pinpoint accuracy on deep balls and some really nice throws on the run.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #163
Matthean
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
This is just an attempt to excuse the SEC getting beat, and its tiring to constantly see it over and over again.

I don't give a rat's rear end about the rest of the SEC. I could at least see excuses about Georgia getting beat due to injuries. If Auburn gets beat, it will be due to their lack of defense. OU and 'Bama played outside of their norms. You can now start listing the games where 'Bama had 3 TOs, gave up 7 sacks, and had a freshman QB score 4 TDs on them, or list when OU had said freshman score 4 TDs. If you think 'Bama's focus wasn't part of it, then I would really like to smoke what you are smoking since the only reason those stats happened was apparently due to OU. Saban said they have been having lackluster practices for weeks. The players themselves admitted they missed numerous assignments. Again, OU put in the work to win, but it takes two to tango.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:10 AM   #164
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's convenient that the SEC always has excuses.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #165
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I get sick of the SEC just like most everyone else and Oklahoma still had to go out their and seize their opportunity, But lets put things into perspective. Alabama was some very fluke events from being in the National Championship while I think anyone that watched the Sooners would say they underachieved this year and their QB situation this year was as bad as its been in the Stoops era. Vegas listed Alabama as almost 3 tds favs and they usually have some idea of what is going on.

People tend to have short memories

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #166
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Not that it matters in the grand scheme or anything but ... is Michigan State going to end up ranked #2 when all is said & done? What if Auburn nips FSU at the end on some fluke or something? Who's #2 then?

And did Oklahoma move themselves to the head of the 2-loss group with that win last night?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #167
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's convenient that the SEC always has excuses.

Any team that loses has excuses. It just isnt a SEC thing.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:18 AM   #168
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Vegas listed Alabama as almost 3 tds favs and they usually have some idea of what is going on.

People tend to have short memories
Evidently.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:22 AM   #169
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Not that it matters in the grand scheme or anything but ... is Michigan State going to end up ranked #2 when all is said & done? What if Auburn nips FSU at the end on some fluke or something? Who's #2 then?

And did Oklahoma move themselves to the head of the 2-loss group with that win last night?

You would think the voters would put FSU #2 in this scenario. Not sure on the Sooners. The computers tend to like many of the 2 loss teams a lot more and even a 3 loss team(Arizona St).
Old 01-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #170
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

Bama was 9.5 point favs that year. Must not have been as strong that year. Seeing Bama only favored by 9.5 vs Utah seemed low.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #171
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

They obviously lost focus that year as well.

I mean heck, if I'm an NFL Front Office, why would I want to draft players who can't keep focus in a freaking BCS Bowl Game?
Old 01-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #172
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Bama was 9.5 point favs that year. Must not have been as strong that year. Seeing Bama only favored by 9.5 vs Utah seemed low.

Utah was undefeated that year. Lots of folks thought Utah was getting screwed - which probably affected the betting.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:51 AM   #173
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:

I mean heck, if I'm an NFL Front Office, why would I want to draft players who can't keep focus in a freaking BCS Bowl Game?

If you were an NFL front office member you would have the option to not take them. Once you are in that position go for it.

As far as "freaking" BCS bowl game. I dont think that was the goal for Alabama this year. I would speculate they set their goals on winning the National Championship so it may not have meant as much to them as you maybe think it should have.

I am sure they wanted to win but I dont think they came into the game real excited when they were expecting to be playing for the National Championship 1 month earlier. Its their fault for not being prepared but its tough. Even professionals seem to have a hard time staying focused from week to week or day to day.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 01-03-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #174
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
As far as "freaking" BCS bowl game. I dont think that was the goal for Alabama this year. I would speculate they set their goals on winning the National Championship so it may not have meant as much to them as you maybe think it should have.

This doesn't explain the Auburn game, where they apparently also were not focused (it's noted above that Saban started complaining after the LSU game).
Old 01-03-2014, 11:00 AM   #175
Patriots12
n00b

I can't believe that Alabama lost last night. Everyone called them the best team all year long and even some people stood by that before last nights game. And who did they lose too? A team with no solid quarterback all year long and playing a bunch of nobody's. Its weird.
Patriots12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:03 AM   #176
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstelmack View Post
This doesn't explain the Auburn game, where they apparently also were not focused (it's noted above that Saban started complaining after the LSU game).

I guess Saban would know. I thought the Auburn result was more of a couple odd plays and Alabama struggles with stopping the spread at times.

I guess since consistency is a big part of being an elite team maybe this just wasnt an elite Alabama team. They certainly looked like an elite team 80 percent of the year but the other 20 percent their defense especially looked very average.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #177
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots12 View Post
I can't believe that Alabama lost last night. Everyone called them the best team all year long and even some people stood by that before last nights game. And who did they lose too? A team with no solid quarterback all year long and playing a bunch of nobody's. Its weird.

I'm guessing when you're playing for a national championship every other year, it's just tougher to get up for a game that really doesn't mean anything.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM   #178
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If you were an NFL front office member you would have the option to not take them. Once you are in that position go for it.

Um.. I was mocking the concept that the players were unfocused because they didn't get to the game they really wanted to go to. I would think that if it actually happened, it wouldn't reflect well on their draft status - at the very least they'd be focused about that .
Old 01-03-2014, 11:21 AM   #179
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Shurg. Ask the guys who drafted Andre Smith or Rolando McClain in the top 10, or Mark Ingram later in a first round. (Ok, there were some hits too - Julio Jones and Mark Barron most notably.)

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-03-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:24 AM   #180
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Shurg. Ask the guys who drafted Andre Smith or Rolando McClain in the top 10, or Mark Ingram later in a first round. (Ok, there were some hits too - Julio Jones and Mark Barron most notably.)

Andre Smith isn't the all-star the Bengals had hoped for, but I also don't think he qualifies as a bust.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:40 AM   #181
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Word is, Mora is telling Texas he's not interested.

Now we'll get apoplectic talking heads around the country trying to figure out why after they spent 24 hours predicting Mora to Texas (or saying they never went after him anyway).

Also saw Briles say he's staying at Baylor.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #182
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I guess Saban would know. I thought the Auburn result was more of a couple odd plays and Alabama struggles with stopping the spread at times.

I was saying this all year. If the elite of the SEC had to play teams that could run a legitimate spread all year, I doubt they would have quite the defensive rep that they do. Alabama's two games against SEC teams that can run the spread well: Texas A&M, a near loss and Auburn, a loss.

TAMU is far from what anyone would consider an elite team (witness the Duke game), but they have beaten them once and nearly beat them again this year with that spread.

The other teams in the SEC that run the spread can't run it for shit. Well, Missouri can, but they didn't have to play 'Bama this year.

That said, I am frankly surprised that Oklahoma, a team that struggled on both sides of the ball for long stretches this year, put it all together against 'Bama... but being told how badly you're going to get beaten for 4 weeks does strange things to a team.

Last edited by Butter : 01-03-2014 at 11:55 AM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:57 AM   #183
Kodos
Resident Alien

It's just annoying hearing how great the SEC in general (and Alabama in particular) is when they win, and when they lose, it gets chalked up to "they're not focused." So no matter what happens on the field, Alabama is truly the best. It's just whether they come out focused or not.

Personally, I think FSU would beat Alabama by a good margin this year.

Last edited by Kodos : 01-03-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:13 PM   #184
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJasper View Post
Andre Smith isn't the all-star the Bengals had hoped for, but I also don't think he qualifies as a bust.
He's turned it around after a disastrous first 2 seasons, but then use him as a flip-side example if you want. If a guy can be disinterested in the month of practice leading up to the bowl game, get suspended for the game, show up out of shape and then leave the combine, and still get drafted 6th overall, then I don't think NFL GM's really care if you play poorly in your bowl game - as long as you have the measurables. (Unless you're a QB, in which case you "need to be a leader" or some BS - could hurt AJ McCarron's stock.)
Old 01-03-2014, 12:14 PM   #185
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Heh, just saw this on my (decidedly Southern slanted) Facebook wall.

Quote:
Tonight we are all Clemson Tigers.

(Thought CU Tiger might get a kick out of that)
Old 01-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #186
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I was saying this all year. If the elite of the SEC had to play teams that could run a legitimate spread all year, I doubt they would have quite the defensive rep that they do. Alabama's two games against SEC teams that can run the spread well: Texas A&M, a near loss and Auburn, a loss.

TAMU is far from what anyone would consider an elite team (witness the Duke game), but they have beaten them once and nearly beat them again this year with that spread.

The other teams in the SEC that run the spread can't run it for shit. Well, Missouri can, but they didn't have to play 'Bama this year.
I don't disagree (except to say that this is Bama's worst D in 3 seasons, and T A&M is elite on offense), but I do find this funny coming from an Ohio State/Big Ten fan.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #187
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodos View Post
It's just annoying hearing how great the SEC in general (and Alabama in particular) is when they win, and when they lose, it gets chalked up to "they're not focused." So no matter what happens on the field, Alabama is truly the best. It's just whether they come out focused or not.

Personally, I think FSU would beat Alabama by a good margin this year.

Isn't it about the national titles though? That is TBD on Monday. And even though I am a Mizzou fan I could give two shits about this SEC solidaritity or whatever you want to call it and I actually like all of the old Big 8 schools (well except KU) but its really hard to knock the SEC until somebody beats them in the national title game isn't it? Otherwise you are doing exactly what you say they are doing... picking and choosing. Why is Alabama or Georgia a better indication of the lack of greatness of the SEC than South Carolina, A&M, LSU, Miss State, Ole Miss would indicate they are great?
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #188
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

I'm worried about tonight's game. OSU has a crappy defense when everyone is healthy. but with Spence and Roby out Clemson could score 60.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #189
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's turned it around after a disastrous first 2 seasons, but then use him as a flip-side example if you want. If a guy can be disinterested in the month of practice leading up to the bowl game, get suspended for the game, show up out of shape and then leave the combine, and still get drafted 6th overall, then I don't think NFL GM's really care if you play poorly in your bowl game - as long as you have the measurables. (Unless you're a QB, in which case you "need to be a leader" or some BS - could hurt AJ McCarron's stock.)

He slipped a bit this year, but last year Smith was one of the top RTs in the NFL.
Old 01-03-2014, 12:54 PM   #190
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
I don't disagree (except to say that this is Bama's worst D in 3 seasons, and T A&M is elite on offense), but I do find this funny coming from an Ohio State/Big Ten fan.

Dude, I totally agree and understand. I was not all that broken up by losing to Sparty in the Championship game this year, because I thought that we'd get another embarrassment in the National Title game if we had made it. In no way am I saying that the SEC is not very good, if not the best conference in the country. But this having 5-6 teams in the Top 10 bullshit every week and every year is getting ridiculous.

It just seems like the standard rules of college football apply to everyone else except the SEC. If they lose, they don't drop 8 places in the polls, they drop 2 or 3. Based on their performance against... each other.

They do have a good track record in the national title game, though. And the only way to end that is to start beating them. Hoping FSU can start that run Monday night.

Last edited by Butter : 01-03-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Butter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:02 PM   #191
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
but its really hard to knock the SEC until somebody beats them in the national title game isn't it?

And that's hard to do when the SEC champ gets to play an SEC divisional runner-up...
Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #192
panerd
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
And that's hard to do when the SEC champ gets to play an SEC divisional runner-up...

What happened the other six years? I could care less about Alabama or Florida or LSU but its hard to talk smack when the rest of the country can't seem to figure out how to beat them.
panerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #193
HomerSimpson98
High School Varsity

The SEC bashers are going to go nuts once a very good FSU team beats an above average Auburn team.

Very surprised that Bama lost, but monster credit to OU. They took some early punches from the Tide, but didnt fold like they did against Texas. I have no idea where that play came from Knight (he's sucked all season), but I guess that may be the biggest advantage of playing in a bowl - the month of extra practice reps you get. Watching OU's offense all season was a joke, so if Knight is as good as he was last night, Boomer may be tough next year in the Little 12.

Last edited by HomerSimpson98 : 01-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.
HomerSimpson98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 01:17 PM   #194
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
Dude, I totally agree and understand. I was not all that broken up by losing to Sparty in the Championship game this year, because I thought that we'd get another embarrassment in the National Title game if we had made it. In no way am I saying that the SEC is not very good, if not the best conference in the country. But this having 5-6 teams in the Top 10 bullshit every week and every year is getting ridiculous.

It just seems like the standard rules of college football apply to everyone else except the SEC. If they lose, they don't drop 8 places in the polls, they drop 2 or 3. Based on their performance against... each other.
The top teams do also tend to do well in the showcase games Week 1/2, but I do agree with you there - I just find it funny because there's no offensive diversity within the Big Ten (unless you count Northwestern/Indiana, but I really don't). A&M & Missouri going to the SEC was great, because coupled with Malzahn's success in his 2 stints at Auburn, it's proven to every SEC coach/AD that's there's no kind of special offensive formula needed to win games, just well-coached and executed football. Heck, even the NFL is on board with the read-option and up-tempo passing attacks. But 15 years after Northwestern upset Michigan running a spread, and 10 years after Drew Brees was throwing it 70 times a game for Purdue, all the Big Ten powers are back to 3 yards and a cloud of dust after the RichRod debacle. I'm always wary of using 1 bowl game after a month off to declare definitively "this means Ohio State's D can't stop any up-tempo attack", but it'll be fun to watch them play a good offense.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #195
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by panerd View Post
What happened the other six years? I could care less about Alabama or Florida or LSU but its hard to talk smack when the rest of the country can't seem to figure out how to beat them.

Again, as has been pointed out, one loss by everyone else means less than one loss by the SEC.

Last year, a one-loss Alabama team makes the national championship game against Notre Dame, who managed to go undefeated but still had lots of questions, because others managed to lose 1 game late. You could make a case that any of a number of other 1 loss teams could also have beat Notre Dame.

The year before was the SEC incest bowl, because again a one-loss Alabama team was "better" than all the other one-loss teams that actually won their conference.

Not going to argue too hard before then, I just think the last 2 years have been heavily influenced by the 5 before then. You had the three years of the LSU/Florida juggernauts, then Alabama and Auburn had their attempts, but the last 2 years have felt like the SEC has been given the benefit of the doubt from that 5 year run.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:31 PM   #196
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
He slipped a bit this year, but last year Smith was one of the top RTs in the NFL.
I agree he turned it around nicely, but his immaturity was a huge red flag, it led into the holdout and his first season was a bust. (Not sure how he was playing year 2 before going on IR.)

The whole point here is that ISiddiqui "was mocking the concept that (Alabama) players were unfocused because they didn't get to the game they really wanted to go to. I would think that if it actually happened, it wouldn't reflect well on their draft status". Smith undoubtedly was for that 2009 game, and it didn't seem to affect his draft status much at all (or that of numerous teammates who went in the 1st round).
Old 01-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #197
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Last year, a one-loss Alabama team makes the national championship game against Notre Dame, who managed to go undefeated but still had lots of questions, because others managed to lose 1 game late. You could make a case that any of a number of other 1 loss teams could also have beat Notre Dame.

The year before was the SEC incest bowl, because again a one-loss Alabama team was "better" than all the other one-loss teams that actually won their conference.

Not going to argue too hard before then, I just think the last 2 years have been heavily influenced by the 5 before then. You had the three years of the LSU/Florida juggernauts, then Alabama and Auburn had their attempts, but the last 2 years have felt like the SEC has been given the benefit of the doubt from that 5 year run.
There were 4 1-loss teams last year - Alabama, Florida, Oregon and K-State. You could make the case that all 4 would've beaten Notre Dame, doesn't change the fact that you need to pick one to play ND. I assume we can just ignore K-State and Florida, because they weren't that good, and it comes down to Bama/Oregon. Neither beat anyone out of conference, but the pollsters had Bama #2, all the computers had both SEC teams above Oregon, and I can tell you as an ND fan, Alabama was the last team of the 4 I wanted to face.

2011 again it basically came down to Bama vs. Oklahoma State (the other 2 1-loss teams were Boise State, and a Stanford team that lost the Pac-12 to an Oregon team that had a 2nd loss to.... LSU). I'm pretty sure I argued for Oklahoma State, not least for aesthetic reasons, but look at these two schedules and honestly try to tell me OSU had proven more on the field than Alabama had. Oklahoma State 2011 Schedule - Cowboys Home and Away - ESPN
Alabama 2011 Schedule - Crimson Tide Home and Away - ESPN

Last edited by BishopMVP : 01-03-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:05 PM   #198
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
2011 again it basically came down to Bama vs. Oklahoma State (the other 2 1-loss teams were Boise State, and a Stanford team that lost the Pac-12 to an Oregon team that had a 2nd loss to.... LSU). I'm pretty sure I argued for Oklahoma State, not least for aesthetic reasons, but look at these two schedules and honestly try to tell me OSU had proven more on the field than Alabama had. Oklahoma State 2011 Schedule - Cowboys Home and Away - ESPN
Alabama 2011 Schedule - Crimson Tide Home and Away - ESPN

What exactly is your argument with the schedules? They look very similar to me, FWIW. Though, true, Alabama had the "better" loss - but then you have the aspect of a rematch. One could have easily argued Alabama had their one chance (at home no less). The fact that Alabama won doesn't particularly diminish that, as IMO if you played Alabama-Auburn this year 10 times in a row that Alabama would have won at least 7 of those times.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:27 PM   #199
Suicane75
Coordinator

Yeah, but they'd all be pretty damn tired.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:07 PM   #200
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

But would they still have focus after it?