Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 11-12-2013, 10:49 AM   #151
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

First data point is in, Marlon Byrd gets 2/16 from the Phillies.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #152
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs3 View Post

Didnt he get released a couple of years ago? You know I just find if funny that teams will pay this much for guys like Byrd. Is someone in triple A with any sign of potential making the $500k really a much worse scenario?

I think the actually stars are worth the $20 million/year they get but these guys league average or barely above getting $8-12 million I dont really grasp. Im actually have a hard time calling Myrd league average because for the most part of his career he has been below league average.

Last edited by jbergey22 : 11-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISiddiqui View Post
Folks from Kennesaw could drive to Perimeter station (if they wanted - though Kennesaw folks are a bit screwed due to Cobb not wanting crime *ahem* black people *ahem* by building a MARTA line to Marietta).

You say that as though Kennesaw folks aren't on board with the decision to keep the comically inept MARTA out of Cobb County. If anything, I'd say the presence of Town Center Mall makes them even less likely to want it.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #154
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

It is sad though that one of the best parts of attending Braves games when I was younger was the frantic drive through Techwood in pitch dark night after the games were done. You always had that feeling if you stopped at all for any traffic light or stop sign, your game would be over.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #155
Butter
Coordinator

The one game I went to at Turner Field, we took a wrong turn off the interstate and ended up giving a dollar to a guy wandering around and having to talk my way out of someone else who was wanting me to give him money also.

It was a great area of town.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
It is sad though that one of the best parts of attending Braves games when I was younger was the frantic drive through Techwood in pitch dark night after the games were done. You always had that feeling if you stopped at all for any traffic light or stop sign, your game would be over.

LOL, 'cause I know what you mean.

As I've mentioned, my Dad & I were there "the night Sid slid". Driving home afterwards we headed up Northside Dr, and the celebratory gunfire opened up just as we got to a traffic light. Decided to just run that one
Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #157
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
You say that as though Kennesaw folks aren't on board with the decision to keep the comically inept MARTA out of Cobb County. If anything, I'd say the presence of Town Center Mall makes them even less likely to want it.

You are missing the point, again. I'm talking about Kennesaw residents being able to use MARTA for a downtown stadium, the same as people from Decatur, or Gwinnett.

However, with it being in Cobb, people from Kennesaw may have it easier, but people from Gwinnett won't (saying nothing of people from Decatur).
Old 11-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #158
RedKingGold
College Starter

Quote:

I have no words.

Actually, I have many words, none of them good.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:39 PM   #159
VPI97
Hokie, Hokie, Hokie, Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
Oh yeah...in the days before GPS (or cell phones) going to a Braves game was like playing Russian Roulette. If you weren't a frequent spectator, it always felt like the police turned half the streets turned into one way routes around the stadium and it was never the same configuration twice. One wrong turn and suddenly you were going down a dark, deserted street with bars on every window.

...and am I missing something in regards to the discussion about public transportation? There is no MARTA line that goes to the Ted, right? Aren't the options either walking or the Braves shuttle from Five Points? I don't see how that is going to be any different with the new location since there's a MARTA to CCT Transfer station at the Galleria. Wouldn't people just go there instead of Five Points? I'm sure the Braves will have their Shuttles going from there and/or from the nearest train stop.
VPI97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #160
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Didnt he get released a couple of years ago? You know I just find if funny that teams will pay this much for guys like Byrd. Is someone in triple A with any sign of potential making the $500k really a much worse scenario?
Got released by the Red Sox and suspended for PED's last June.

You don't think it's worth $8 million a year to see if he finally turned that corner at age 35 and can maintain the stats from his career year?
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #161
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
However, with it being in Cobb, people from Kennesaw may have it easier, but people from Gwinnett won't (saying nothing of people from Decatur).

The Atlanta metro area is not, and likely will never be, a mass transit market. We drive, that's what we do. The number of people discouraged from attending by the lack of MARTA (or any other system) pales in comparison to the numbers who will be encouraged to go because they no longer have to deal with downtown.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #162
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VPI97 View Post
...and am I missing something in regards to the discussion about public transportation? There is no MARTA line that goes to the Ted, right? Aren't the options either walking or the Braves shuttle from Five Points? I don't see how that is going to be any different with the new location since there's a MARTA to CCT Transfer station at the Galleria. Wouldn't people just go there instead of Five Points? I'm sure the Braves will have their Shuttles going from there and/or from the nearest train stop.

Braves Shuttle is MARTA run, and its a 1.5 mile ride (you can walk from 5pts to Turner on a nice day). MARTA to CCT Transfer at Galleria? Where does that bus run from to get to the Galleria? The closest MARTA train stop to the 75 & 285 crossing is 8 miles away (Buckhead Station). That's quite a different in running a shuttle - less than 2 miles compared to 8 miles.

I mean Gwinnett would be infinitely smarter since MARTA trains actually go right up to the Gwinnett border.

Here:

The new Braves stadium is up in the NorthWest corner (where 75 and 285 meet)
Old 11-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #163
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I think the most interesting thing, though, is Cobb County is notoriously anti-tax. Asking the residents for $450 million may not go over that smoothly.
Old 11-12-2013, 01:51 PM   #164
Easy Mac

Quote:

I think the actually stars are worth the $20 million/year they get but these guys league average or barely above getting $8-12 million I dont really grasp. Im actually have a hard time calling Myrd league average because for the most part of his career he has been below league average.

It seems the 50 games he was suspended for steroids was worth it to his bank account. Is there any legitimate reason someone wouldn't just take a shot at it in their mid-30's if it meant hanging on for 1-2 more years?
Easy Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #165
Ronnie Dobbs3
High School Varsity

Carlos Ruiz reportedly has a 2/20 offer on the table.

Sox should have offered Salty the QO.
Ronnie Dobbs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #166
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Seriously.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:14 PM   #167
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopMVP View Post
Got released by the Red Sox and suspended for PED's last June.

You don't think it's worth $8 million a year to see if he finally turned that corner at age 35 and can maintain the stats from his career year?

Ladies and gentlemen, Ruben Amaro, Jr.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #168
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

He's Dayton Moore with a bigger wallet (see also: the late Omar Minaya)

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-12-2013 at 03:19 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #169
Suicane75
Coordinator

I find myself slipping a little further away from the Phillies every year. Since Harry died the games aren't fun to watch or listen to, the team has been a stagnant mess and the front office appears to have almost no direction. Unless this is designed to make Brown a major chip in a deal for Price (which even then I'm not sold on, because how the hell would that team score), it's just more of the same treadmill.
Suicane75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #170
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think the most interesting thing, though, is Cobb County is notoriously anti-tax. Asking the residents for $450 million may not go over that smoothly.

One of two things almost certainly have to be true:

a) this IS a done deal (as the Braves as basically indicated) and it's never going before the taxpayers for a vote

or

b) the Braves are insanely full of shit
Old 11-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #171
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Cobb County GOP chiar:

Quote:
“It is absolutely necessary the (transportation) solution is all about moving cars in and around Cobb and surrounding counties from our north and east where most Braves fans travel from, and not moving people into Cobb by rail from Atlanta."
Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #172
BishopMVP
Coordinator

Quote:

Yup - it's year 2 of the new system with all the crazy TV money coming into the game. You can't be surprised at the contract numbers being thrown around. Fwiw, I actually wouldn't mind Ruiz at that number (although rumor has it that the Phils, not Boston offered him that) - every catcher will end up looking like/being an overpay, so I'm much more concerned with length than dollars. Ruiz for 2 looks much better than Salty for 3-4, McCann for 5-6, or, god forbid, AJ Pierzynski for any amount of time.

Also, they got the overall vote correct imo (Francona winning), but in this year's installment of what the hell is going on with some people at the BBWAA, Asuka Iinuma Brown of something called the Jiji Press voted for Bob Melvin, Joe Maddon and Buck Showalter on his AL Manager of the Year ballot.
BishopMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #173
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
Cobb County GOP chiar:

"Noooooooo, keep those black people outta here!"
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 AM   #174
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuervo72 View Post
"Noooooooo, keep those black people outta here!"

Thugs is thugs. Nobody wants to import 'em, regardless of color.
Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM   #175
Comey
College Starter

Phillies are in talks to acquire Jose Bautista. Dom Brown is the centerpiece of that deal.

I really think the franchise is attempting to piss me off into just cheering for the Red Sox, or find another NL team. I just don't get it.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:55 AM   #176
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:
One of two things almost certainly have to be true:

a) this IS a done deal (as the Braves as basically indicated) and it's never going before the taxpayers for a vote

or

b) the Braves are insanely full of shit

I was wondering if this was actually "B", just some really aggressive posturing to get the investment they want done at Turner Field. But it sounds to me like the city itself is more than willing to move on from having the Braves there, so now they're going to have to figure this Cobb shit out.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:02 AM   #177
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I do think Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed has played it well. If it is just a shit filled negotiating posture, Reed has said, y'all can go for $450mil. That is just a ridiculous amount of money. I think if the Braves even asked for $200mil, that perhaps some sort of deal could have been reached with the City of Atlanta, but not this much.

It means the Braves have got to get a deal done with Cobb, and one does wonder how they are going to make it happen while sidestepping a taxpayer vote.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #178
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
Phillies are in talks to acquire Jose Bautista. Dom Brown is the centerpiece of that deal.

I really think the franchise is attempting to piss me off into just cheering for the Red Sox, or find another NL team. I just don't get it.

So they are wanting to trade a young, team controlled outfielder in his prime years for an aging, expensive player on the downside of his career with a large contract? Considering the numbers they put up last year were very similar other than Brown not being able to play defense this would seem like an awful 1 for 1 trade.

Maybe the Phils felt after last year they had some room to get even older and wanted to take full advantage?
Old 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #179
jbergey22
Grizzled Veteran

Oh and in other news. The Twins still havent learned their lesson. They are reportedly offering Bronson Arroyo 24 million/2 years.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #180
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

I've obviously been out of the loop. The fact that the Braves want a new stadium is hysterical. Someone needs to tell Ted to go fuck himself.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #181
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
I've obviously been out of the loop. The fact that the Braves want a new stadium is hysterical. Someone needs to tell Ted to go fuck himself.

Someone hasn't heard the news that, um, TED DOESN'T OWN THE TEAM.

Ted Turner's comment on Braves move | The Buzz | www.accessatlanta.com

Quote:
So, what's he saying about his former team's decision to quit Turner Field for Cobb? Not much. Here's a statement:

“It is my understanding that the Atlanta Braves announced their plan to move from Turner Field to a new stadium in Cobb County. When Time Warner merged with AOL in 2001, the Atlanta Braves were part of the merger package, and later acquired by Liberty Media Corporation. I am no longer part of the company and have not been involved in the decision making since 2001. I just hope the Braves will be happy in their new location and continue their winning ways.”
Old 11-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #182
cuervo72
Head Coach

I mean, you can still tell Ted to go fuck himself, but should probably pick a different reason.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:42 AM   #183
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

He's just stuck in the timeframe when Sony was winning console wars.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:47 AM   #184
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

LOL!

Though if Ted was running the team, there is likely no way they would move from downtown.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:52 AM   #185
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:

LOL. Not so much. So tell whoever's in charge to go fuck themselves. I don't care if it was a retrofit, 20 years ain't going to cut it.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #186
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

I mean we could, but Liberty Media really isn't going to care .
Old 11-13-2013, 10:58 AM   #187
cuervo72
Head Coach

Quote:
I mean we could, but Liberty Media really isn't going to care .

So wait...are you saying the F*uck comcast thread was probably in vain?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #188
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Shocking
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #189
larrymcg421
Head Coach

That ticket density map for the Braves actually makes this decision look worse, not better. It's not like the new stadium is centered among ticket buyers. It's more centered than previously, but with far worse public transportation options. There are many more centered areas that had rail access.

I live in one of the high density areas (30341) and used MARTA about 99% of the time I went to the games. It is doubtful I will be making that nightmarish trip towards 285/75 (which is already about an hour during rush hour) and dealing with about 40,000 extra people in the area.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner
larrymcg421 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #190
korme
Go Reds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
He's Dayton Moore with a bigger wallet (see also: the late Omar Minaya)

SI

The late Omar Minaya?
korme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #191
BillJasper
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
That ticket density map for the Braves actually makes this decision look worse, not better. It's not like the new stadium is centered among ticket buyers. It's more centered than previously, but with far worse public transportation options. There are many more centered areas that had rail access.

I've never been to the area, but I think the move seems odd.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #192
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by korme View Post
The late Omar Minaya?

He won (lost?) The Contest so he's dead to me

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

Last edited by sterlingice : 11-13-2013 at 12:16 PM.
sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 12:33 PM   #193
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post

What seems to be getting overlooked repeatedly is "rail access ... which is not a priority for many of their core customers"

The other thing that hasn't gotten enough play in this story perhaps is the likely price jump for tickets which seems to accompany a lot of new stadiums. That's going to make hitting the high income customers (such as those in Cobb, Gwinnett, etc) even more critical for the Braves going forward. It'll be even more of a "Lexus Lot" crowd, not a take-Marta crowd.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #194
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh and in other news. The Twins still havent learned their lesson. They are reportedly offering Bronson Arroyo 24 million/2 years.

Dammit. If only the Reds knew they could have put the QO on him to get a pick.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #195
ISiddiqui
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
What seems to be getting overlooked repeatedly is "rail access ... which is not a priority for many of their core customers"

The other thing that hasn't gotten enough play in this story perhaps is the likely price jump for tickets which seems to accompany a lot of new stadiums. That's going to make hitting the high income customers (such as those in Cobb, Gwinnett, etc) even more critical for the Braves going forward. It'll be even more of a "Lexus Lot" crowd, not a take-Marta crowd.

I think the issue is that the high income folks from Gwinnett or North Fulton (like John's Creek) may balk on 285 traffic. But yes, the prices are going to jump, which is a shame because the Braves had very affordable tickets.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #196
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Incidentally, MARTA becomes a less & less popular option each year Bucking National Trend, Atlanta's Public Transit Ridership Declines

Quote:
Since 2001 MARTA showed ridership losses on trains for eight years and on buses for 10 -- far worse than comparable cities or transit systems
Old 11-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #197
Vince, Pt. II
Pro Starter

Tim Hudson to the Giants, 2 years $23M with a full no-trade clause.

As mediocre as this move is, rather excited about it. One of the better options for this team in this FA class. Still need one more SP, an OF and a middle reliever. Hopefully the Giants don't try to play min-sal roulette on LF again.

Last edited by Vince, Pt. II : 11-19-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Durr, wrong Timmy.
Vince, Pt. II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:22 PM   #198
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince, Pt. II View Post
Tim Lincecum to the Giants, 2 years $23M with a full no-trade clause.

As mediocre as this move is, rather excited about it. One of the better options for this team in this FA class. Still need one more SP, an OF and a middle reliever. Hopefully the Giants don't try to play min-sal roulette on LF again.

I think you mean Tim Hudson.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:23 PM   #199
JetsIn06
Pro Rookie

Also, didn't see this posted, but the Phillies just gave Carlos Ruiz buckets of cash. Three years, $26 million. Skip Schumaker signed with the Reds for two years.

Last edited by JetsIn06 : 11-18-2013 at 08:25 PM.
JetsIn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #200
tarcone
Coordinator

Shumaker is a Jockety guy.

Article in our local sports page about the Cards and Orioles. It is just a "what if" type thing I think.
But, JJ Hardy for Sgelby Miller.

The Os young kid coming back from knee surgery and Hardy in his walk year. Miller is a stud. But the Cards go 7 deep in SPs. And there is no SS on the roster to speak of. Could be a developing story. But the Os have stated they arent actively trading Hardy.

The word is Fight! Fight! Fight! For Iowa

FOFC 30 Dollar Challenge Champion-OOTP '15
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote