Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #151
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I mean like you can drop to a command line(which I did to troubleshoot some network issues), create database connections, modify shares at the file leve, run perfomance monitoring, run powershell scripts. With all that, I'm not worried about the ability to install out of store apps being figured out.

And my main problem with Apple isn't so much forcing you to install apps from the store, it's the legit apps they squelch or delay from being published.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-03-2013 at 03:00 PM.
jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #152
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Oh, one note, the cheap keyboard cover without any tactile feedback is garbage. It's like typing on cardboard with a keyboard drawn on it in marker. Buy a cheap cover and an actual portable Bluetooth keyboard instead(Logitech makes a nice one) if you really want an alternative to the on screen KB.
Yeah, the "touch" keyboard is no bueno. Go for the "type" keyboard cover instead. It's thicker and heavier, but still attaches very nicely and has much better feel for typing. I've played around with both at an MS Store, and it's no-contest.

I wish the Surface Pro was more competitively priced, but either way, my wife is going to put the kibosh on getting on getting one until I can put forward a convincing argument that it's time to replace our current Win7 high-end laptop I got 3 years ago. Which probably means another year or two before I can shop for a Surface.
dawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #153
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
I mean like you can drop to a command line(which I did to troubleshoot some network issues), create database connections, modify shares at the file leve, run perfomance monitoring, run powershell scripts. With all that, I'm not worried about the ability to install out of store apps being figured out.

And my main problem with Apple isn't so much forcing you to install apps from the store, it's the legit apps they squelch or delay from being published.

Ok cool, thanks for the info.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #154
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

If I could play full-featured FM13 on a surface I might legitimately use it to replace my laptop...

edit: quick google and I guess it will actually run on a Surface Pro. People have done it, or have done it on similar hardware and are going to do it on a Pro shortly...

FML

Last edited by DaddyTorgo : 01-03-2013 at 03:23 PM.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:26 PM   #155
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Well, Pro is a full blown Windows Laptop. So performance aside, it will run anything a Windows 8 desktop does.

Just costs a lot more and there are a good amount of alternatives as well that may or may not be better for you.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-03-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #156
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Quote:
When she bought my tablet she talked to the MS sales reps, they said they had sold very few. I'm expecting a blip at best against both Android and Apple.

That is because it was from the MS Stores or online from MS only...they will catch traction this year as they roll it out to the box stores.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:49 PM   #157
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I believe they are in it for the long haul, so I don't expect the shitty sales numbers from 2012 to kill it.

I just hope they don't do to Win 8 what they did to Win 7 mobile. Can't imagine they will.

Old 01-03-2013, 04:03 PM   #158
gstelmack
Pro Starter

Quote:
I just hope they don't do to Win 8 what they did to Win 7 mobile. Can't imagine they will.

I'll probably have one soon. I gave Android a try, but I'm not all that lit up about it. Before I get sucked into iOS, I want to give the Win8 mobile stuff and see how it goes. My biggest fear, though, is that my Dell Axim v5 got obsoleted simply because Microsoft stopped allowing synchs from that version of WinCE when they released Vista, and Microsoft will do something similar here.

Microsoft could have owned the mobile space a decade ago, but they let it slip away.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #159
Scoobz0202
Pro Rookie

This is... weird

Microsoft's 64GB Surface Pro will only have 23GB usable storage | The Verge

Quote:
Microsoft's Surface Pro tablet, due on February 9th, will have a smaller amount of storage space than expected. A company spokesperson has confirmed to The Verge that the 64GB edition of Surface Pro will have 23GB of free storage out of the box. The 128GB model will have 83GB of free storage. It appears that the Windows 8 install, built-in apps, and a recovery partition will make up the 41GB total on the base Surface Pro model.

Microsoft says users will be able to free up additional storage space by "creating a backup bootable USB and deleting the recovery partition," but out of the box they'll be left with as little as 36 percent of the advertised storage available. The storage situation is similar to Microsoft's Surface RT tablet. The Windows RT operating system, that powers Surface RT, accounts for half of the 32GB disk space on the entry model. Microsoft's Surface Pro supports USB 3.0 hard drives and microSDXC cards, meaning there are ways to extend the storage.

Emphasis mine

Last edited by Scoobz0202 : 01-29-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Scoobz0202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #160
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Basically part of Microsofts master plan to ensure that no one understands or adopts the surface which is an impressive piece of technology crippled by its myriad of confusing configurations and awful promotion ...

I mean ffs if you've a 64Gb model then give the user 64Gb of storage space thats what they expect, otherwise call it a 40Gb model surely?
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 AM   #161
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

It's facepalm-ingly stupid the way that Microsoft has executed on this - the not providing the actual amount of storage as promoted, over-pricing them, doing a poor job getting them into big-box retailers.

I'm losing confidence every day that Microsoft is going to be able to sustain their current dominance - at this rate, they'll be lucky to reinvent themselves as well as IBM did when Microsoft toppled them.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #162
stevew
Hall Of Famer

That's embarrassing how little storage that they put in the device. Would seem like they could have put an extra 32 gig memory chip in the thing as the profit margin on it is likely to be high(they make roughly 50% profit on a 32 gig surface).

I'm guessing it will be pretty much DOA.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:59 AM   #163
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Why is the space such a big deal? NO system, laptop or tablet, comes with the entire space available. And even on a bare drive, the actual formatted capacity doesn't measure up to the marketing number.

I do agree that MS has handled some stuff (ok, a lot) wrong, but geez. This is a non-issue.

What'll really kill it is the 11" Yoga with full Windows 8 in June...
Jughead Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #164
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
Why is the space such a big deal? NO system, laptop or tablet, comes with the entire space available. And even on a bare drive, the actual formatted capacity doesn't measure up to the marketing number.

I do agree that MS has handled some stuff (ok, a lot) wrong, but geez. This is a non-issue.

What'll really kill it is the 11" Yoga with full Windows 8 in June...

I think it's a big deal because of the sheer magnitude of pre-used space. If I buy a 64GB iPad I wouldn't be shocked if you told me that iOS took up 4-6GB of space. But when you start telling me that the OS is taking up 50+%? That's pretty crazy. And I'm an MS fan (own a WP7, heavily considering a Surface RT).
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #165
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

That, I agree with. It's awkward for MS to put ultrabook specs in a tablet, and space is probably the first issue. They're in a bit of a no-win though; if they started the Pros with 128Gb HDs, probably jack the price up another $100-200 and people are already unhappy about the pricing.

I can't believe 50% margin on these... I'm thinking more like a loss leader, like when the XBox & 360 both came out. Crack the market, get 'em hooked on the infrastructure, get paid from subscriptions.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #166
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

dola... I stand corrected, reports are that they are making 50% on Surface RTs, so probably still 30ish percent on pros. Definitely (another) mistake by MS.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #167
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead Spock View Post
dola... I stand corrected, reports are that they are making 50% on Surface RTs, so probably still 30ish percent on pros. Definitely (another) mistake by MS.

Yeah this I just don't get - they're coming into this market as a massive underdog, as such you'd have expected them to be ramming in full-speed as a loss leader to gain market share and receive revenue through:

* Cheaper components/production costs as sales rise.
* Revenue through application sales on the device store

Personally I don't 'get' where Microsoft are headed these days - nor do I think Microsoft ...
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:17 PM   #168
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

50% doesn't include R&D and marketing. I hate those tear down pricing estimates.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #169
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Hell an electronically delivered $60 game is 100% margin right?

Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM   #170
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
50% doesn't include R&D and marketing. I hate those tear down pricing estimates.

I sure hope they didn't spend much developing one of the worst marketing campaigns ever.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:01 PM   #171
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:

Yes, but it can still be viewed as high relative to the market.

For someone trying to crack into an almost iron-clad market, not a good idea.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:49 PM   #172
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Yeah this I just don't get - they're coming into this market as a massive underdog, as such you'd have expected them to be ramming in full-speed as a loss leader to gain market share and receive revenue through:

* Cheaper components/production costs as sales rise.
* Revenue through application sales on the device store

Personally I don't 'get' where Microsoft are headed these days - nor do I think Microsoft ...
This. 1,000 times this.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:06 PM   #173
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

They can't go lower because their OEM's will abandon them.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #174
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Anyways, I still think the Surface RT is a fantastic product, hands down better than both iPad and Android(app availability aside, yes I know that's a deal breaker to some).

However I used to think people comparing the RT to a laptop rather than an iPad were idiots. But I've just seen too much confusion around that, from technically inclined people straight to the technically illiterate, clearly MS dropped the ball educating the public on what exactly the RT is.

Last edited by jeff061 : 01-30-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:34 PM   #175
dawgfan
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fidatelo View Post
They can't go lower because their OEM's will abandon them.
If I'm MS, I call that bluff. You want to leave us for Google? Fine. We'll make our own hardware. That's where things are headed anyway IMO...
Old 01-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #176
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Vaughan View Post
Basically part of Microsofts master plan to ensure that no one understands or adopts the surface which is an impressive piece of technology crippled by its myriad of confusing configurations and awful promotion ...

I mean ffs if you've a 64Gb model then give the user 64Gb of storage space thats what they expect, otherwise call it a 40Gb model surely?

It would actually be the 23GB model according to that story.

Sent from my 28GB (out of 32) iPad.
Desnudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #177
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgfan View Post
If I'm MS, I call that bluff. You want to leave us for Google? Fine. We'll make our own hardware. That's where things are headed anyway IMO...

That may be true, but I don't think MS is in a position to scale up to the necessary levels any time soon. It doesn't take much for someone like Samsung to just slap a different OS on their hardware; it takes herculean efforts to build up an entire manufacturing and supply business on the global scale MS would need to retain any semblance of market share. I suspect they would take a massive hit for at least a year or two while they tried to get up to speed.

That said, as someone who is *this* close to buying an RT, any kind of discount would be a welcome push towards the product. In my opinion they could generate a ton of sales if they just included the touch cover at the price of the base unit.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #178
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Here's CNET's take on the surface Pro:

Microsoft Surface with Windows 8 Pro Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #179
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

I think I'm taking the plunge on the 64 GB. Aside from work etc., this may be my OOTP playing machine.

I'm thinking 64 is fine since I have my music etc Clouded.

I do use Adobe Creative Suite...hmmm is 64 going to crush me?

Quick help! Haha at Best Buy now.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:36 PM   #180
stevew
Hall Of Famer

There's no way I would go with 64 when 128 is only $100 more, especially if this is basically going to be your default laptop.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #181
Desnudo
Coordinator

I have a 128gb Mac book and ran out of space after 9 mths. So yeah, definitely get as much space as possible.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:11 AM   #182
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Yeah, given the fractional cost to double your memory, I can't see a reason to buy the 64.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #183
stevew
Hall Of Famer

So the Pro should be on display at BB now? I guess what I want is a RT price/spec'd machine that runs full windows 8. I wish this was possible from Microsoft. I'd probably prefer that to an iPad cause I could use the office I've paid for and play ootp on it.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:08 AM   #184
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Yes Pro Windows 8 is what I got from Best Buy.

Also, the $100 I saved getting the 64, I can use that if I want to get me an additional 100 GB for two years on Skydrive, however right now I'm good using the free 7 GB on Skydive and the free 5 GB on Google Drive.

The idea for me is shifting away from hard drive dependency, which eventually will include software too.

Hard drive sizes seem to be on a bell curve pattern--it was an easy decision to go with 64.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #185
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post
So the Pro should be on display at BB now? I guess what I want is a RT price/spec'd machine that runs full windows 8. I wish this was possible from Microsoft. I'd probably prefer that to an iPad cause I could use the office I've paid for and play ootp on it.

I think the only thing holding me back from an RT right now is my concern that this is where the market will be by this time next year. The current Intel Atom chips that some of the OEM's are using for Windows 8 pro tablets are very underwhelming, but I wouldn't be shocked if a Surface based on some newer Intel low-power architecture gets announced some time in the next 6-10 months. And then I worry that I'd feel kind of burnt with an RT, even though realistically I think it would be fine for my needs.

I wish I could see into the future
Old 02-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #186
Dutch
"Dutch"

I am STRONGLY leaning towards the Surface Pro as my next Laptop/Tablet.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:30 AM   #187
Passacaglia
Coordinator

So I'm thinking of getting a tablet -- got an ipad for my brithday and was told that it could be any tablet or laptop. From the little bit of research I've done, it seems like:

Surface Pro -- if I want to play Civ/FM/FOF on it, but it costs more. Does anyone know how these run on it?
Ipad -- if I want more apps
Google Nexus -- if I want to use the same apps that are already on my android phone.

Is that pretty much the gist?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:22 PM   #188
Mike Lowe
College Prospect

Surface Pro has Windows 8 and will run all of those programs fine. I'd install Civ via Steam to save on HD space.

Everyone here will tell you to get the 128, but honestly between Google Drive and Skydrive, I have plenty of space even with Adobe CS6 and Office 2013 installed (and OOTP).
Old 02-25-2013, 12:32 PM   #189
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe View Post
Everyone here will tell you to get the 128, but honestly between Google Drive and Skydrive, I have plenty of space even with Adobe CS6 and Office 2013 installed (and OOTP).

As long as you are ok with always needing an internet connection to access those cloud offerings.

Out of those 3, only the Surface Pro is a laptop replacement(unless you are only doing web and light email). But you need to pay a premium for that functionality.

Last edited by jeff061 : 02-25-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:19 PM   #190
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Quote:
Surface Pro has Windows 8 and will run all of those programs fine. I'd install Civ via Steam to save on HD space.

?? how would installing it from Steam save on HD? Save your games to the cloud, yes, but still is going to take ~6Gb. Civ will run on it, but the dedicated video will probably make you have to knock it down a few notches on the graphics. Not a bad compromise.

I still do hope the Surface gets some traction, despite MS' best efforts to screw it up.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #191
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
As long as you are ok with always needing an internet connection to access those cloud offerings.

Out of those 3, only the Surface Pro is a laptop replacement(unless you are only doing web and light email). But you need to pay a premium for that functionality.

This may be a stupid question, but what exactly do you mean by 'laptop replacement'?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #192
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Something that you don't need to buy in addition to a laptop. Requirements for that definition vary person to person. If I had a Pro, I don't need a laptop. If I have an iPad or Android variant, I still would.

Really though, the pro doesn't replace a laptop, it is a laptop. Just a slightly different form factor.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #193
BigPapi
Mascot

Quote:

Wow....Good luck running an OOTP career with 20-30 gb of HD space. Have you ever taken a look at the footprint of an OOTP career file 10-15 years in?....I suppose you could turn all that stuff off, but then- it's really not the same game anymore.

Last edited by BigPapi : 02-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.
BigPapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #194
Desnudo
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
So I'm thinking of getting a tablet -- got an ipad for my brithday and was told that it could be any tablet or laptop. From the little bit of research I've done, it seems like:

Surface Pro -- if I want to play Civ/FM/FOF on it, but it costs more. Does anyone know how these run on it?
Ipad -- if I want more apps
Google Nexus -- if I want to use the same apps that are already on my android phone.

Is that pretty much the gist?

Something else you may want to think about is staying in the same apps ecosystem. So if you already have an android device, buying a nexus would allow you more seamlessly switch between devices and what you've bought. Fr example, starting a show on your phone then switching to your tablet. Or buying a show on your phone and streaming to your tv.

Also a little easier to sync cloud storage, although google drive has a web app that means you can use it on any device.

One thing that's really nice about the ipad is the ability to AirPrint from the tablet as well as stream whatever you are viewing on the tablet to your tv if you are willing to buy the Apple TV as well.

I think the surface pro is a laptop with a removable keyboard and has a different set of use cases. So if you wanted laptop power and windows with a different design, that would be the way to go.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #195
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Looked at a surface in person today. Really slick design. The upgraded keyboard looks so wprth it. I don't think I can go 1120 for a pro though. Seems way too much. They had a Samsung atom tablet, going to look into it. Reviews seem mixed.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #196
bigdawg2003
High School Varsity

Played around with a Surface Pro while in Vegas and was very impressed, but not sure what I need it for. May still ask for one for birthday or Christmas.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #197
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

I tend to agree at some point in the not too distance future the Pro will have the same form factor as the RT with similar battery life. I'll be more interested then.

Old 02-27-2013, 02:07 AM   #198
Jughead Spock
High School Varsity

Echoing the previous few posts here; just got my hands on one yesterday and it is a really compelling piece of hardware. I wouldn't feel bad about committing to one if I was in the market.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #199
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Admittedly I've been fucked by HP laptops before, but I went ahead and ordered the Envy x2 windows hybrid tablet and will post after I snag it. The memory is expandable from 64gb via a microSD card. With tax and whatnot it ended up being 563 bucks. I was just going to buy an IPad mini, but I figure this will do many of the same things and will(probably painfully) play FOF and/or OOTP. It has a 21 day return policy if it runs like trash, I can't imagine you can play things like Civ on it though.

http://slickdeals.net/f/5873716-HP-E...-Coupon?page=2

Last edited by stevew : 02-27-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:05 AM   #200
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desnudo View Post
Something else you may want to think about is staying in the same apps ecosystem. So if you already have an android device, buying a nexus would allow you more seamlessly switch between devices and what you've bought. Fr example, starting a show on your phone then switching to your tablet. Or buying a show on your phone and streaming to your tv.

Also a little easier to sync cloud storage, although google drive has a web app that means you can use it on any device.

One thing that's really nice about the ipad is the ability to AirPrint from the tablet as well as stream whatever you are viewing on the tablet to your tv if you are willing to buy the Apple TV as well.

I think the surface pro is a laptop with a removable keyboard and has a different set of use cases. So if you wanted laptop power and windows with a different design, that would be the way to go.

That's what I was getting at in my post -- comparing the sameness of having a matching set, vs. having one of each, so if an app is in just one, I can do it.