Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 07-16-2012, 07:25 AM   #151
spleen1015
Coordinator

Also, I am confused by the numbers in SI's post #111.

Roy Helu has a 2 next to him. I believe that indicates this season 2012, would be his second season on my team. Why doesn't all of the other players have them? Graham and Gates are in the same boat for example, so I don't understand what the numbers in () represent.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 07-16-2012 at 07:25 AM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 07:56 AM   #152
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spleen1015 View Post
Also, I am confused by the numbers in SI's post #111.

Roy Helu has a 2 next to him. I believe that indicates this season 2012, would be his second season on my team. Why doesn't all of the other players have them? Graham and Gates are in the same boat for example, so I don't understand what the numbers in () represent.

Helu was a rookie last year, so I'm pretty sure it was an error for him to be listed as (2), he should be a (1) along with every other rookie. I did a check of the list and I think that's the only error though owners should check their own players to be sure.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:25 AM   #153
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Helu was a rookie last year, so I'm pretty sure it was an error for him to be listed as (2), he should be a (1) along with every other rookie. I did a check of the list and I think that's the only error though owners should check their own players to be sure.

Okay, but what about Jones-Drew? I traded for him last year. So, he's in the same boat as Helu, right?

Maybe I am confused?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:42 AM   #154
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Players you trade for post-keeper declaration deadline get a year accrued to them, so you could keep Jones-Drew for two more full seasons.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #155
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Players you trade for post-keeper declaration deadline get a year accrued to them, so you could keep Jones-Drew for two more full seasons.

Okay, this may be hard to convey, so bare with me.

You're saying that Helu shouldn't have a 2 because he was drafted last year. So, I have him for draft year + 3.

Jones-Drew doesn't get the draft year because I acquired him in a trade, so I have him for last year + 2.

Just to that I am clear, the rule is a keeper is for 4 years, draft year + 3, right?

I'm asking because I always thought it was 3 years total, draft year + 2.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #156
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

We were always able to keep 3 times - meaning we would technically have them 4 years.
PackerFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #157
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathum View Post
I would like to let everyone who hasn't chimed in about amnestying the 3rd year keeper on new teams before passing it but I think it is the way to go. MollyMurphy has no issues with it and I texted Saldana. I know Me, Jag, and SI are on board. Just need to hear from PF and Sami I believe.

I am okay with amnesty for new owners - especially with the amount that we have this year. No point in punishing them for inheriting a team.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:05 AM   #158
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingice View Post
Two questions:
Q: If a new team is inherited, will it's season 4 players revert back to season 3 status?
Q: After this season, should we remove the "free" season so that players can only be on the team for a maximum of 3 seasons (or 2.5 if traded in-season) as opposed to 4(3.5)?
[b]

To put in my two cents here...

1) Yes, I think that should be the case, as I said in my previous post. New owners should get the opportunity to keep anyone on their inherited team, even if said player would have been due to be a FA.

2) I personally like the "3 keeps, then done" rule - so we basically get them for 4 years. But I would be okay with 2 keeps as well, if that was the consensus. It would just be something that might not be able to be fully enforced this season - since there is a good mix of keeper years out there, you can't punish those that have kept for longer than that time already.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #159
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

So if you trade for Player A midway through a season, they end the season with one year of service (no matter how long they were kept on the previous team) - is that correct? So you would still get 3.5 years out of them if you kept them the full 3 times. If you just plain draft player A and keep him the full 3 times - then you're getting him 4 years. Which is fine by me (and how I always thought it worked anyway).

Just talking through all the posts, making sure I get it all
Old 07-16-2012, 11:19 AM   #160
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Ever since we went to a three year keeper system, the rule had been you cannot keep a player more than three times before they become a free agent. So that rule meant you could draft a player, using them that year, and then could keep them three more times for the following three seasons, for a total of four seasons. That's one rule up for change this year, removing the free draft year so no player remains on a team for more than three total seasons.

Also, I am rethinking my stance on no amnesty for new players. I'm sort of thinking it penalizes returning players who don't get to make use of that rule and removing potential players from the pool that could help them upgrade. It does make things more challenging for incoming players if they're inheriting a team that has a number of players in that state though. So I'm not sure anymore.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #161
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ever since we went to a three year keeper system, the rule had been you cannot keep a player more than three times before they become a free agent. So that rule meant you could draft a player, using them that year, and then could keep them three more times for the following three seasons, for a total of four seasons. That's one rule up for change this year, removing the free draft year so no player remains on a team for more than three total seasons.

So basically we only keep them twice. It's not really a "free" year we're talking about - it's the number of times we can keep the player. Currently, we keep them 3 times (which means we have them up to 4 years). The suggestion is to allow us to only keep them twice - which would be a total of up to 3 years. I think that might be where some people are getting confused.

Quote:
Also, I am rethinking my stance on no amnesty for new players. I'm sort of thinking it penalizes returning players who don't get to make use of that rule and removing potential players from the pool that could help them upgrade. It does make things more challenging for incoming players if they're inheriting a team that has a number of players in that state though. So I'm not sure anymore.

I would hope that this is a rule we don't use that often, to be honest. I think the benefit to the incoming players outweighs the "penalty" to current players. If a new guy is coming in and inheriting a team, and that team just so happens to have a guy that is due to be a FA, he should have the option to keep him one last time. Our keeper rules are designed toward owners, not necessarily the teams.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #162
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerFanatic View Post
So if you trade for Player A midway through a season, they end the season with one year of service (no matter how long they were kept on the previous team) - is that correct? So you would still get 3.5 years out of them if you kept them the full 3 times. If you just plain draft player A and keep him the full 3 times - then you're getting him 4 years. Which is fine by me (and how I always thought it worked anyway).

Just talking through all the posts, making sure I get it all

The trade rule, since last year, has been if you trade for a player, they get a keeper season accrued, so you would get a traded player between 2.5-3 seasons total depending on when you traded for them, not 3.5-4 years.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #163
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Oh I see what you mean - so they, technically, get tacked with 2 years of service - 1 for the one they actually played and 1 for the trade. That makes sense because everyone else already ends the season with 1 year of service.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #164
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Just as an FYI, TLK passed commish on to me because I got things started for this season, but I am going to pass it to JAG as long as there are no objections. I just don't have the time right now to organize the rules, votes, et...
Lathum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #165
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
So basically we only keep them twice. It's not really a "free" year we're talking about - it's the number of times we can keep the player. Currently, we keep them 3 times (which means we have them up to 4 years). The suggestion is to allow us to only keep them twice - which would be a total of up to 3 years. I think that might be where some people are getting confused.

That's true with the only exception being if you trade for someone prior to keepers being declared (sorry, I should have said the trade rule was only for in-season trades). In that case those players could be kept three times.

Quote:
I would hope that this is a rule we don't use that often, to be honest. I think the benefit to the incoming players outweighs the "penalty" to current players. If a new guy is coming in and inheriting a team, and that team just so happens to have a guy that is due to be a FA, he should have the option to keep him one last time. Our keeper rules are designed toward owners, not necessarily the teams.

That point of view makes sense to me.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:45 PM   #166
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

That makes sense, JAG.

And FYI - if you need any assistance running things, I'm more than happy to help
Old 07-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #167
spleen1015
Coordinator

If the keeper rule is draft year + 3, then the amnesty rule doesn't really come into play until after this year.

I am still against it. Why should I not have the opportunity to pick up a guy that would be FA just because someone quit the league? I don't care that the owner has changed. That team is still that team, regardless of ownership.

I don't know what type of scenarios we would face in the future, but let's say that someone has Rodgers, Foster, and Megatron as keepers for draft year + 3. They've had top players every year for 4 years, dominating the league. They're going to lose them and they decide to quit. A new owner comes in and gets to keep them for a 5th year just because their new? I don't like the sound of that at all. The new owner gets to deal with losing them all. If the new owner doesn't like it, let them go find another league to play in. I don't like the idea of punishing the rest of the ownership just because someone decided to quit the league.

Last edited by spleen1015 : 07-16-2012 at 03:48 PM.
spleen1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #168
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Like I said above, I think it's hurting the new owner more so than the other owners though. And honestly - I would really hope we do enough to keep owners around so that it never has to come to this
Old 07-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #169
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If the keeper rule is draft year + 3, then the amnesty rule doesn't really come into play until after this year.

I am still against it. Why should I not have the opportunity to pick up a guy that would be FA just because someone quit the league? I don't care that the owner has changed. That team is still that team, regardless of ownership.

I don't know what type of scenarios we would face in the future, but let's say that someone has Rodgers, Foster, and Megatron as keepers for draft year + 3. They've had top players every year for 4 years, dominating the league. They're going to lose them and they decide to quit. A new owner comes in and gets to keep them for a 5th year just because their new? I don't like the sound of that at all. The new owner gets to deal with losing them all. If the new owner doesn't like it, let them go find another league to play in. I don't like the idea of punishing the rest of the ownership just because someone decided to quit the league.

I think that is a fair point and something we should vote on, however, I think given the large number of new owners this year it may be easier to do a one year exception then vote how we want to proceed.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:59 PM   #170
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

And actually, spleen, there are a few players that would fall under that category (just from a quick check at the post on the previous page) - I don't know if any of those players fall on teams that now have new owners, but there are a few players that were kept 3 times.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #171
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
And actually, spleen, there are a few players that would fall under that category (just from a quick check at the post on the previous page) - I don't know if any of those players fall on teams that now have new owners, but there are a few players that were kept 3 times.

You are right. I was thinking the league started in 2009, but it started in 2010.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #172
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
You are right. I was thinking the league started in 2009, but it started in 2010.

The league has actually been around since 2004, but the keeper years rule was voted on in 09
Old 07-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #173
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
The league has actually been around since 2004, but the keeper years rule was voted on in 09

I'm all over the fucking place. I typed 2010 in that posted when I meant 2008.

Whatever.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #174
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

haha
Old 07-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #175
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
I think that is a fair point and something we should vote on, however, I think given the large number of new owners this year it may be easier to do a one year exception then vote how we want to proceed.

We're going to need to sort this out before any transactions can be done with those players. I keep going back and forth on it, as I do think spleen has a reasonable point.

What I'd like to say is, if anyone else has any rules proposals, lets get them out there within the next 2-3 days, so we can get started on officially voting for all this stuff and moving on with the offseason stuff.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #176
samifan24
Pro Starter

Sorry for not chiming in earlier but I'm on board with amnesty for new owners.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:47 PM   #177
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Alright, I think our two main proposals at this point:

One-year amnesty rule for new owners: If a new owner inherits a team, that owner is allowed to a player who was previously kept for 3 years under the previous owner. This player will basically have one year knocked off his tenure and will be allowed to be kept for an additional year.

Drop keeper years from 3 to 2: Owners can keep any player a maximum of 2 times, giving that owner a maximum of 3 years of service for a single player (the year they were drafted + the two years they are kept)
Old 07-16-2012, 07:48 PM   #178
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

There might be more, but that seems to be the main gist at this point (mainly the amnesty one, so we can make sure the new owners can get in the swing of things and start making moves if they wish)
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #179
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Alright, I think our two main proposals at this point:

One-year amnesty rule for new owners: If a new owner inherits a team, that owner is allowed to a player who was previously kept for 3 years under the previous owner. This player will basically have one year knocked off his tenure and will be allowed to be kept for an additional year.

Drop keeper years from 3 to 2: Owners can keep any player a maximum of 2 times, giving that owner a maximum of 3 years of service for a single player (the year they were drafted + the two years they are kept)

Another proposal would be to get rid of the traded penalty year. If a player is traded in season, they do not suffer a keeper penalty.

SI

Janos: "Only America could produce an imbecile of your caliber!"
Freakazoid: "That's because we make lots of things better than other people!"

sterlingice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 09:00 PM   #180
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

so if I had Hakeem Nicks as a rookie in 2009, I can either keep him this year and lose him after or trade him and he will go against someone for a year, correct?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #181
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
One-year amnesty rule for new owners: If a new owner inherits a team, that owner is allowed to keep a player who was previously kept for 3 years under the previous owner. This player will basically have one year knocked off his tenure and will be allowed to be kept for one final year.

Ok with this as proposal #1 to be voted on.

Quote:

Quote:
Another proposal would be to get rid of the traded penalty year. If a player is traded in season, they do not suffer a keeper penalty.

I would prefer to word proposal #2 like this:

No player may play on the same team for more than 3 consecutive years (includes partial seasons as a full season) --- What this essentially means with all the different ways of acquiring a player is:

a. You draft a player: You can play them the season you draft them and then keep them two additional seasons.
b. You trade for a player after keepers are declared: You can play them the remainder of the season and keep them two additional seasons.
c. You trade for a player before keepers are declared (off-season trade): This is the only situation you can keep a player three times so they are able to play for your team the full three consecutive seasons.

EDIT: It also needs to be decided if proposal #2 would be applied retroactively (count up seasons a player has played for a team and make that the new amount of years they have accrued with a team) or if it would be applied for all player acquisition after the proposal is approved.

Last edited by JAG : 07-16-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-16-2012, 11:01 PM   #182
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I think a player should be able to be kept for 3 seasons any time they become a member of your team. Meaning, if I trade for or draft a guy and keep him for his 3 years, then I let him go but claim him back in the draft, I can then keep him for another 3 years. acquiring a guy at any time should reset his years of service to 1 again.

Don't make it retroactive, but just starting next season, 3 years in a row means they go back in the pool. You can try and get em again at that point if you wish, but it must be through means other than designating him a keeper.

FUCK EA

Last edited by Julio Riddols : 07-16-2012 at 11:05 PM.
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:19 AM   #183
Danny
Head Coach

1. No
2. Yes
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:29 AM   #184
Danny
Head Coach

I believe both my answers encourage trading which is why I went for them. I do believe trading a player should reset their timer.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #185
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio Riddols View Post
I think a player should be able to be kept for 3 seasons any time they become a member of your team. Meaning, if I trade for or draft a guy and keep him for his 3 years, then I let him go but claim him back in the draft, I can then keep him for another 3 years. acquiring a guy at any time should reset his years of service to 1 again.

I agree. If you've relinquished a player's rights but then reacquired them, you can keep them again as if it were their first year on your team because you've had to spend resources to get them again. I've tried for about 5-10 minutes to figure out how to reword the proposal to make that clear but couldn't determine a concise way to do it, so if someone could wordsmith it, that would be nice.
Old 07-17-2012, 05:39 AM   #186
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If we need to put this in writing, we should. I agree with these sentiments: everything resets on a player when they go back into a draft pool. If I somehow managed to draft Fitzgerald again this season, I could keep him for 3 more seasons.

SI

Old 07-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #187
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

No player may play on the same team for more than 3 consecutive years (includes partial seasons as a full season) --- What this essentially means with all the different ways of acquiring a player is:

a. You draft a player: You can play them the season you draft them and then keep them two additional seasons.
b. You trade for a player after keepers are declared: You can play them the remainder of the season and keep them two additional seasons.
c. You trade for a player before keepers are declared (off-season trade): This is the only situation you can keep a player three times so they are able to play for your team the full three consecutive seasons.

EDIT: It also needs to be decided if proposal #2 would be applied retroactively (count up seasons a player has played for a team and make that the new amount of years they have accrued with a team) or if it would be applied for all player acquisition after the proposal is approved.

I also think we need to include wording from the old trade rules: if a player is kept after the trade deadline of the third year, they are going back into the pool. You can't hold onto them the full three seasons and then trade them in the offseason. You have to make that decision in season 3: trade them before the deadline or lose them.

SI

Old 07-17-2012, 08:27 AM   #188
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
If we need to put this in writing, we should. I agree with these sentiments: everything resets on a player when they go back into a draft pool. If I somehow managed to draft Fitzgerald again this season, I could keep him for 3 more seasons.

SI

Quote:
I also think we need to include wording from the old trade rules: if a player is kept after the trade deadline of the third year, they are going back into the pool. You can't hold onto them the full three seasons and then trade them in the offseason. You have to make that decision in season 3: trade them before the deadline or lose them.

SI

I agree with both these
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #189
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

I do as well - as soon as they hit the draft pool again, they are reset. No reason a team shouldn't able to get them again.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #190
spleen1015
Coordinator

My votes

1. No
2. Yes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #191
PackerFanatic
Pro Starter

Quote:

I think it should be for players acquired after the rule - make it fair for everyone.

My votes..

1. Yes
2. Yes
Old 07-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #192
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

1. Yes
2. Yes
Old 07-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #193
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

Quote:
Ok with this as proposal #1 to be voted on.

I think we need to be careful about this. this wording sounds like I may not draft the same person 4years in a row two. I know that isn't the intent of this wording but that would be an unintended consequence. There needs to be something about years kept instead.
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #194
ntndeacon
Pro Starter

with the wording PF said...

1. abstain (as a new owner not sure I should vote on policies for new owners.)
2. yes

if with JAG's wording
1. abstain
2. NO!!!!
ntndeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #195
Julio Riddols
College Prospect

I'm good with whatever rule gets made. Just excited to be part of a keeper league for a change.

FUCK EA
Julio Riddols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:34 PM   #196
Grover
Pro Starter

Quote:
I'm good with whatever rule gets made. Just excited to be part of a keeper league for a change.

+1

FOFC Greatest Band Draft Runner Up
FOFC Movie Remake Draft Winner
FOFC Movie Comedy Draft Winner
Grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #197
samifan24
Pro Starter

1. Yes
2. No
Old 07-17-2012, 09:08 PM   #198
sterlingice
Hall Of Famer

1. Yes
2. Yes, in principle (see below)

However, if we approve #2, there's going to be a clarification voting process where we talk about all of these various outs. Do we grandfather in players, do we remove the penalty for trades, etc- the various parts we have discussed? I'm not entirely sure what I voted yes on except that I do think we should have a 3 year keeper period max but I'm not sure what shape that takes.

SI

Old 07-17-2012, 09:15 PM   #199
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I think is we vote for the 3 year max anyone who would be released this year under that rule the owner gets to keep another season. Such as Sal with Peyton
Old 07-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #200
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

EDIT: Moving this to the next page so it's at the top of a new page instead of getting lost at the end of page 4.

Last edited by JAG : 07-18-2012 at 07:02 AM.