Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 03-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #151
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This thread makes me want to reload Sim City 4 and forget this new release ever happened.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #152
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
This thread makes me want to reload Sim City 4 and forget this new release ever happened.

Yup!

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:44 PM   #153
Blackadar
Retired

I promised I really want this game to be good. All I've been doing is shoveling dirt on it the past two days. Still, stuff like this just makes me shake my head:

Quote:
Here's another awesome problem with Multi-Player. My city is in a region that has three city parcels. This was a public region I joined, and I don't know the other two mayors. After about an hour of me building up my town, the guy who I assume created the region went and abandoned his city (I only assume he created the region because he had the most infrastructure when I arrived). Thirty minutes after that I notice the other guy has abandoned his too. So, I decide to claim one of them because it looks relatively unworked, and I don't really want to go through the efforts of trying to fix other people's problems in a partially constructed city.

Unfortunately for me, although players have the ability to claim abandoned cities in their region, you can't claim cities you don't own the DLC for... So if someone else owns the French tile set, and you don't, if they abandon a city in your region there seems to be absolutely nothing whatsoever you can do about that except buy the DLC. Otherwise your city will be sitting in a region that may never reach its full potential, unless you get lucky and someone who owns the DLC shows up to claim a half-worked piece of land. And depending on the state the prior mayor left that land in, it could be bankrupt (or well on its way), heavily polluted, or be suffering any number of problems.

That city is fucked, and even if it ends up that my recent Sync error hasn't affected my save, I'm not sure I see a reason to continue bothering with it, because I'll probably never be able to fully utilize the region, or its collaborative great project (whatever it's called).

tldr version: If someone abandons their city in your region and used DLC that you don't own, your cities and region are pretty fucked becuase you can't take control over the abandoned city.

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-05-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Blackadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #154
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

This game is an absolute clusterfuck. Best of luck to everyone who paid for it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #155
Sweed
College Benchwarmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
This game is an absolute clusterfuck. Best of luck to everyone who paid for it.

I just got the email from EA offering this "great" game to me to purchase. What should I do?
Sweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #156
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
I just got the email from EA offering this "great" game to me to purchase. What should I do?

LOL
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #157
Zinto
College Starter

Well I am about to fire it up since I purposely avoided the mess that was launch last night. Other then the always online and all of the microtransactions I am hoping it is a ton of fun.
Zinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:59 PM   #158
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Don't even bother - servers are full and I haven't been able to log on in four hours... fun fun

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
FOOL - Cleveland Cyclones
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
CleBrownsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:09 PM   #159
Atocep
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleBrownsfan View Post
Don't even bother - servers are full and I haven't been able to log on in four hours... fun fun

I've been playing on the Oceanic servers with no issues.
Atocep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM   #160
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Quote:

What server is the FOFC region in?
Old 03-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #161
Zinto
College Starter

Yeah I can play in the Europe or Oceanic servers but I have not yet
Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM   #162
Zinto
College Starter

And I want to join the FOFC server whenever you are able to get on Cle, my origins name is Zinto17 and I added you on origin.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #163
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Yeah - I'm in the European East 2 server and everything is going smooth. Should we wait for the American East 1 server to open up before I send invites or do you all want to join this Euro server I'm on now?

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #164
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Anything works for me.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:56 PM   #165
stevew
Hall Of Famer

The three stages of any FOFC game thread

1.(10-12 months out) Omg, this game looks amazing and I hope this game fixes legitimate problems A, B and C (these are all legitimate complaints usually)

2. (3-4 weeks out)Issue A was fixed, but B and C are exacerbated and there's too much DRM and/or DLC. But I still have hope.

3.(game released) MOTHERFUCK THIS GAME

Last edited by stevew : 03-06-2013 at 12:22 AM.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #166
spleen1015
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevew View Post

1.(10-12 months out) Omg, this game looks amazing and I hope this game fixes legitimate problems A, B and C (these are all legitimate complaints usually)

2. (3-4 weeks out)Issue A was fixed, but B and C are exacerbated and there's too much DRM and/or DLC. But I still have hope.

I don't thin this game ever got to stages 1 or 2 and just went to 3. The always online has been a huge issue since we found out about it.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #167
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

I worked on a city for 4 hours last night (in the Euro East 2 region) and log on this morning to NO CITY! It must have not of saved correctly on the damn cloud. SMH

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 03-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #168
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:

Unless it's Guild Wars, then the stages were:

1. Awesome.
2. Awesome.
3. Awesome.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM   #169
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
I worked on a city for 4 hours last night (in the Euro East 2 region) and log on this morning to NO CITY! It must have not of saved correctly on the damn cloud. SMH

Looks like that is kind of a widespread problem. What a clusterfuck.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 PM   #170
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

So I got the game today and I have roughly 2-3 days to play it before I have to travel some more. I played around a bunch in a region on the NA West 2 server and enjoyed it as much or more than the beta. So far it has been pretty fun. I think while the scale of the city feels smaller, it feels like you have much more of a simulation than I expected as far as the city workings go.

The only two FOFC I have on my friend list are Clebrownsfan and Neon. Is there anyone else that I should add? Also what server did the FOFC region get created on? I hopped on a few of them but didn't seem to find it (maybe I am not entirely sure on what I am looking for)

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #171
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Alan - I created a private region for us (named FOFC in the American East 1 region) but the problem is it's not showing anyone of my friends in game - so I'm unable to invite. Looks like it's a known bug so hope it gets fixed soon.

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #172
Sporkimata
High School JV

So what do those who have gotten it think so far? I really want to like it. I see so much negative comments but I have a feeling it is from a lot of sim city 4 vets who won't like it no matter what.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:20 PM   #173
Alan T
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkimata View Post
So what do those who have gotten it think so far? I really want to like it. I see so much negative comments but I have a feeling it is from a lot of sim city 4 vets who won't like it no matter what.

I don't know. I haven't honestly played it nearly enough to get that type of feel for it.

I really liked SC4 alot. I liked how much detail you could make in your city and I loved how you could make a huge sprawling city. I think those that are bashing some parts of this forget exactly how bad SC4 was when it came out. Honestly if not for some of the user add-ons, SC4 would not have nearly been as functional or as good of a game for quite a very long time.

I think if you are trying to compare this to SC4, it is just not the same game. It is in some ways like comparing OOTP to Front office football. Sure, they are both sports sims, but they do things vastly differently.

Speaking as someone that has owned every Sim City game that ever came out, and did not really like CitiesXL at all.. so far I am not turning away from it. There are obviously bugs and server issues and such, for the game play so far it has honestly been fun for me.

I think the biggest negative comment that many have made that probably will end up being true is the DRM and DLP aspect of this game.. but unfortunately, that is now how most games make their money. I don't like that either and am not entirely sure how I feel about it in this game other than I wish it wasn't.

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #174
Abe Sargent
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post
Unless it's Guild Wars, then the stages were:

1. Awesome.
2. Awesome.
3. Awesome.

Or Wasteland 2 thus far.

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/?action=search&page=1&author[]=Abe%20Sargent
Abe Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #175
Sporkimata
High School JV

I broke down and bought it. Have to see what I think. I pray the server gods take mercy on me.
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:01 PM   #176
Lonnie
High School Varsity

I fired up SC4 last night and got my city building twitches out so I wouldn't buy this. I think I can wait at least a week or two to see if they can clean up these launch issues.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #177
Blackadar
Retired

Hehe...

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-06-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:34 PM   #178
Crapshoot
Grizzled Veteran

Why this isn’t a one-star SimCity review | Quarter to Three

Tom Chick's review is similar to many of the experiences here. What a joke. I understand the money is in social, but there are plently of people who still enjoy a great single-player game, and were the core of the "Sim" audience. What a shame.

Last edited by Crapshoot : 03-06-2013 at 04:34 PM.
Crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #179
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

Quote:

so true
NorvTurnerOverdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #180
SackAttack
Head Coach

Saw a comment elsewhere to the effect that a 'boycott' of SimCity 5 wouldn't accomplish much, since instead of viewing it as 'people rebelling against DLC and always-on DRM' it would be viewed as 'people don't want SimCity.'

I wonder what a movement that simultaneously declined to purchase SimCity 5 and purchased SimCity 4 in droves (even if they already own it) might accomplish in the way of message-sending.
SackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #181
Shkspr
College Benchwarmer

I had this pre-ordered (the last pre-order I believe I will ever make), but had few problems myself playing yesterday. The experience was weird rather than poor. Today I arrive home, and upon firing up the launcher, I am greeted with the message that there's an update found. This seems reasonable to me.

The update, of course, broke the launcher. Uninstalling and reinstalling, the very next time I tried to load the launcher, it promptly downloaded the update that broke the launcher again before I was given any option to intervene. Wow, that's bad design.
Shkspr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #182
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

As much as I want to play this, will be waiting a while...
Old 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #183
bhlloy
Coordinator

yeah, there's no chance in hell I'm paying $60 for this. If it goes on sale in a year with discounted DLC I'll pick it up, otherwise there's plenty of other games
bhlloy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:26 PM   #184
jeff061
Grizzled Veteran

Yeah, even if this didn't have the stigma it did, I've been burnt by so many early $60 purchases. I very very rarely buy without waiting for a sale.

I'll probably buy this a year or two down the road.

jeff061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:38 PM   #185
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff061 View Post
Yeah, even if this didn't have the stigma it did, I've been burnt by so many early $60 purchases. I very very rarely buy without waiting for a sale.

I'll probably buy this a year or two down the road.

+1
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #186
SackAttack
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhlloy View Post
yeah, there's no chance in hell I'm paying $60 for this. If it goes on sale in a year with discounted DLC I'll pick it up, otherwise there's plenty of other games

Until there's some kind of resolution on the always-on requirement, I have no plans to pick it up. I'm not going to buy a SimCity game that I can't play if the servers get shut down.

I'm marginally willing to deal with the small size/social gameplay hassles. Like, just barely to the right of the 'meh' cutoff.

But the persistent connection requirement is a non-starter.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #187
Draft Dodger
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackAttack View Post
Until there's some kind of resolution on the always-on requirement, I have no plans to pick it up. I'm not going to buy a SimCity game that I can't play if the servers get shut down.

I'm marginally willing to deal with the small size/social gameplay hassles. Like, just barely to the right of the 'meh' cutoff.

But the persistent connection requirement is a non-starter.

I say ditto to all of this, while adding "I won't buy it unless it's on Steam"
Old 03-06-2013, 10:04 PM   #188
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

Aside from the DRM and always online requirement, I think the game is solid.

It isn't Sim City 4. It's a completely different beast.

I pointed out to CleBrownsFan that you do lose yourself in the game. Four hours of gameplay feels like just 30 minutes... definitely has that "must keep on playing" feel. But I'm not sure how long that will last once you hit the size limit of your city.

Region-play is nice, but flawed. Definitely play on a private server with friends.

Worth $60? Hell no.

Fortunately, games are cheap over here and I got my version for PHP 1800, which is roughly equal to $45.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #189
Neon_Chaos
Pro Starter

dola,

The Origin stuff isn't bad. It's just "there". Seems like they're going to try and take it towards something Steam-like.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #190
Qrusher14242
High School JV

I'm just dissapointed there's no terraforming and no random maps. I loved just making the terrain for the cities in sc4, you could do anything. Now its so confined and restricted, its just not what i want in a city sim.
Qrusher14242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #191
nilodor
College Benchwarmer

Reading about this with the always on and the social dependency makes me feel like either this is an easier way to make games and money or that I'm no longer the target market for games.
nilodor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #192
RendeR
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilodor View Post
Reading about this with the always on and the social dependency makes me feel like either this is an easier way to make games and money or that I'm no longer the target market for games.

This ^^

Does steam have a simcity4 package with all updates add-ons etc etc?
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:15 AM   #193
SackAttack
Head Coach

SimCityâ„¢ 4 Deluxe Edition on Steam
Old 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #194
CleBrownsfan
Pro Rookie

Still can't log in and play - even at 7:30 AM. Why didn't EA do some sort of stress test??!!

FOOL-X - Cleveland Naps
SLOP - Cuyahoga Spiders
Old 03-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #195
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

the corporatization of gaming, stockholders, new streams of revenue yada yada

Old 03-07-2013, 07:19 AM   #196
Blackadar
Retired

Quote:
Still can't log in and play - even at 7:30 AM. Why didn't EA do some sort of stress test??!!

They did. And it failed. And people like myself complained. And we were shouted down by rabid fanboys. (that's not directed at anyone here)

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-07-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 AM   #197
Blackadar
Retired

One Minute Review - SimCity - YouTube
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 AM   #198
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackadar View Post

LOL. Awesome.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:43 AM   #199
Blackadar
Retired

Whole facebook page for Simcity memes: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sim-C...17402498311558

Last edited by Blackadar : 03-07-2013 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #200
NorvTurnerOverdrive
College Benchwarmer

i'm convinced the next great social movement will be after an EA game launch