Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 01-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #151
rowech
Pro Starter

I usually bamouth officials because I think the vast majority of them are horrible but I must say that the officials at the end of the Auburn-Northwestern game had four extremely tough calls to make and made each and every one of them correctly. Not sure how it was officiated throughout as I only really turned it on in the 4th quarter.
rowech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:22 PM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
No kidding...if you're going to go for it, go for it with your best offensive guys.

yeah - that was what puzzled me most.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:23 PM   #153
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowech View Post
the officials at the end of the Auburn-Northwestern game had four extremely tough calls to make and made each and every one of them correctly.

Well, the credit really goes to the replay officials though, the original calls on the field were reversed on 2 of those tough calls.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:24 PM   #154
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Well, the credit really goes to the replay officials though, the original calls on the field were reversed on 2 of those tough calls.

True.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:59 PM   #155
Radii
Head Coach

Dear lord, look at the field in the Capital One bowl, its a complete wreck, huge divots/chunks of turf coming up all over the place.
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:30 PM   #156
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Fare thee well Coach Bowden, well done.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #157
tarcone
Coordinator

Good job Penn State. Now on to the Rose Bowl.

My worst nightmare bowl game was Iowa State-Minnesota. I really dislike both those teams and was hoping they both lost. Couldnt watch it because of that.
tarcone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #158
miami_fan
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInMiddleGA View Post
Fare thee well Coach Bowden, well done.

I guess he in on his way to his condo in my neck of the woods. I have to say as I looked at him on the sidelines today, the memories of Bear Bryant did pop into my head. Hopefully he will have a much longer life in retirement.
"The blind soldier fought for me in this war. The least I can do now is fight for him. I have eyes. He hasn’t. I have a voice on the radio, he hasn’t. I was born a white man. And until a colored man is a full citizen, like me, I haven’t the leisure to enjoy the freedom that colored man risked his life to maintain for me. I don’t own what I have until he owns an equal share of it. Until somebody beats me and blinds me, I am in his debt."- Orson Welles August 11, 1946
miami_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:38 PM   #159
Tigercat
College Starter

Penn State got handed the finish to that win by the refs. A Penn State guy would not get off the downed LSU player as LSU was trying to lineup for a spike. So a LSU player lining up over the ball pulls off the Penn State defender. PSU called for a defensive delay of game? No, they call LSU with a personal foul. Horrible call that kept LSU from spiking the ball at that spot (ran off time as the whole offense had to regroup) and took LSU away from field goal range. Despicable call for a number of reasons.
Tigercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #160
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
Penn State got handed the finish to that win by the refs. A Penn State guy would not get off the downed LSU player as LSU was trying to lineup for a spike. So a LSU player lining up over the ball pulls off the Penn State defender. PSU called for a defensive delay of game? No, they call LSU with a personal foul. Horrible call that kept LSU from spiking the ball at that spot (ran off time as the whole offense had to regroup) and took LSU away from field goal range. Despicable call for a number of reasons.

wahhhhhh
Old 01-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #161
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

f-you OSU...GOO OREGON!!!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #162
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post
wahhhhhh

Try to defend it, I dare you. I am the guy that watches a game with fellow homers and tell them to shut up when they complain against the refs on every call. But to not only allow the defenders to delay the game by scrapping on the ground, but call a personal foul when the offensive player tries to separate that action so he can do his job? That is so far beyond unacceptable refereeing of the game. Add in to it that it quite possibly costs the outcome of the game because it is under 30 seconds...

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:45 PM   #163
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Try to defend it, I dare you. I am the guy that watches a game with fellow homers and tell them to shut up when they complain against the refs on every call. But to not only allow the defenders to delay the game by scrapping on the ground, but call a personal foul when the offensive player tries to separate that action so he can do his job? That is so far beyond unacceptable refereeing of the game. Add in to it that it quite possibly costs the outcome of the game because it is under 30 seconds...

eh - the field was a mess...it's a questionable call for sure, i agree with that, but throwing a pass over the middle with no timeouts into a mudpit is asking for trouble IMO
Old 01-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #164
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

I'm sure it didn't help that LSU let tons of time run off the clock after that. But, you decided to omit that fact, since it lets you cast blame elsewhere than bad clock management/playcalling late by LSU (once again).

Defensive game by both teams...mistakes by PSU mounted up, and LSU couldn't capitalize. And LSU was simply inept (though the PSU defense played more than a part in that). Still a fun game to watch, and I'm thrilled that Darryl Clark went out a winner.

Comey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #165
Butter
Coordinator

Quote:

It is not the LSU's player's job to pull the players off the pile. If the PSU player continues to lay on top of the LSU player, then it is the referee's job to call delay of game and stop the clock.

Defended. Waaahhhh, indeed. Still doesn't explain why LSU let nearly 20 seconds run off after the penalty to get set up for the next-to-last play.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #166
tarcone
Coordinator

I guess the LSU player should have left him alone and allowed the refs to call the game. Then there is no doubt. And LSU would have needed to get to at least the 20 to kick a FG in that slop.

AND DT--- GO OHIO STATE.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #167
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

So how much of LSU's offensive woes are on Crowton & how much simply lies with a lack of offensive talent?
Old 01-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #168
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:

Can't just pick a guy up and slam him down.

I'd be more pissed at Les Miles for calling a slip screen with no TO's.

THE RIVERBOAT GAMBLAH!
DeToxRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:49 PM   #169
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeToxRox View Post

THE RIVERBOAT GAMBLAH!

Exactly. Terrible play calling/clock management by Miles cost LSU the game (yet again.)
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:50 PM   #170
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
I guess the LSU player should have left him alone and allowed the refs to call the game. Then there is no doubt. And LSU would have needed to get to at least the 20 to kick a FG in that slop.

AND DT--- GO OHIO STATE.

i'm just obligated to hate OSU - both parents went to grad school @ michigan an then there's that whole "other" reason
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #171
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comey View Post
I'm sure it didn't help that LSU let tons of time run off the clock after that. But, you decided to omit that fact, since it lets you cast blame elsewhere than bad clock management/playcalling late by LSU (once again).

Defensive game by both teams...mistakes by PSU mounted up, and LSU couldn't capitalize. And LSU was simply inept (though the PSU defense played more than a part in that). Still a fun game to watch, and I'm thrilled that Darryl Clark went out a winner.

Everything you say doesn't change the fact that it was a HORRIBLE call in almost the worst of ways. Did I say we would have won if not for the call? Of course not, but the call killed the chance. Was it a bad play call? Yes. But that refereeing decision was 10x worse than the play call. And that is saying something considering it was a bad play call.

With the bad play call, but correct officiating, LSU has 20 seconds to get 5-10 more yards for a decent FG attempt.
You are acting like I am the homer, but I know LSU has bad playcalling, wither you randomly think I realize that fact or not. You are the one that refuses to admit the legit impact that call had on the game.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #172
rowech
Pro Starter

Someone might want to teach Les Miles clock management skills. I assumed they taught those in coaching 101. It's good to have a penalty called on a play to stop the clock and not have a play called and immediately going to it once the ball was spotted.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #173
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglesfan27 View Post
Exactly. Terrible play calling/clock management by Miles cost LSU the game (yet again.)

I saw this elsewhere but it was too good to not share.

"Les Miles couldn't manage an Alarm clock"

So sad, yet so true.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:53 PM   #174
rowech
Pro Starter

Quote:
Everything you say doesn't change the fact that it was a HORRIBLE call in almost the worst of ways. Did I say we would have won if not for the call? Of course not, but the call killed the chance. Was it a bad play call? Yes. But that refereeing decision was 10x worse than the play call. And that is saying something considering it was a bad play call.

With the bad play call, but correct officiating, LSU has 20 seconds to get 5-10 more yards for a decent FG attempt. You are acting like I am the homer, but I know LSU has bad playcalling, wither you randomly think I realize that fact or not. You are the one that refuses to admit the legit impact that call had on the game.

It was a penalty...plain and simple. Should the official have called delay of game earlier? Perhaps. Nevertheless, it's a personal foul and a stupid penalty.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #175
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:

THE RIVERBOAT GAMBLAH!

I don't think he slammed him, it was a hard pull though, but he really just didn't have a choice in the matter. He was over the ball trying to get the snap ready and the defender is trying to slap fight with his teammate on the ground.

No question it was a bad play call of course. I am not sure its Les Miles, but Crowton would be gone now in my dream world.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:54 PM   #176
tarcone
Coordinator

Quote:
i'm just obligated to hate OSU - both parents went to grad school @ michigan an then there's that whole "other" reason

Old 01-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #177
DeToxRox
Head Coach

Quote:
I don't think he slammed him, it was a hard pull though, but he really just didn't have a choice in the matter. He was over the ball trying to get the snap ready and the defender is trying to slap fight with his teammate on the ground.

No question it was a bad play call of course. I am not sure its Les Miles, but Crowton would be gone now in my dream world.

I understand where you're coming from. PSU should have most likely gotten flagged but LSU's kid took it too far by the current way games are officiated.

The game is pussified the way it's called.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:57 PM   #178
tarcone
Coordinator

Could you imagine a Lee Corso-Lou Holtz football talk show? Yikes. My ears would start to bleed.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #179
Comey
College Starter

Quote:

With the bad play call, but correct officiating, LSU has 20 seconds to get 5-10 more yards for a decent FG attempt.
You are acting like I am the homer, but I know LSU has bad playcalling, wither you randomly think I realize that fact or not. You are the one that refuses to admit the legit impact that call had on the game.

Tell me where I refuse to admit it. I offered no opinion on it either way. I did not even see it. But I saw the aftermath. And LSU screwed up bigtime. And I also know that the game was called pretty even, which leads me to believe the LSU player forced the officials' hand.

I'm sorry you suddenly find this personal. Your argument, in all honesty, holds no water. Others have refuted it. And you still haven't discussed the 20-plus seconds LSU let come off the clock after that whole mess. They had enough time to get back there...but they decided to let the clock run down to 11 seconds to run the next play, then heave a bomb to a receiver who was covered by four PSU players. Then came a hook-and-ladder where it was obvious nobody knew what their assignment was.

Regardless of whether or not the call was bad, it did not result in the outcome of the game. LSU having absolutely no idea what to do afterwards...that had much more to do with that failure of a final possession.

Last edited by Comey : 01-01-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:01 PM   #180
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
I understand where you're coming from. PSU should have most likely gotten flagged but LSU's kid took it too far by the current way games are officiated.

The game is pussified the way it's called.

Maybe,I think another part of my issue with this is that I see players pull opposing players off piles all the time in the NFL and college, in less dire situations. (Guys trying to get a part of fumble scrums mostly.) Which is a lot less of a reason to pull a guy off than when the defender is trying to delay the game by fighting with your teammate right on the spot where you are to snap the ball. I guess it also looks worse when it is a one on one thing and not a huge pile.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #181
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
Tell me where I refuse to admit it. I offered no opinion on it either way. I did not even see it. But I saw the aftermath. And LSU screwed up bigtime. And I also know that the game was called pretty even, which leads me to believe the LSU player forced the officials' hand.

I'm sorry you suddenly find this personal.

Quote:

You were the one that tried to tell me who I was trying to cast overall blame for on the entirety of the loss, and what I was purposefully trying to admit. I was only complaining about a bad call that impacted the game. Don't tell me my unnamed intentions for me, thanks. That is "personal."

Last edited by Tigercat : 01-01-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #182
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

not sure they were fighting. think they were both slipping and trying to get up from the mud...
Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #183
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
not sure they were fighting. think they were both slipping and trying to get up from the mud...

If that is what the ref thought, if it was the case or not, it would at least explain the flag. Even if it was a forcefull pull, one could then see Hitt's attempt as simply helpful then though.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #184
tarcone
Coordinator

Why is Oregon wearing white?
Old 01-01-2010, 04:17 PM   #185
Comey
College Starter

Quote:
You were the one that tried to tell me who I was trying to cast overall blame for on the entirety of the loss, and what I was purposefully trying to admit. I was only complaining about a bad call that impacted the game. Don't tell me my unnamed intentions for me, thanks. That is "personal."

......................what?

What you quoted, for the context provided, is absurd. You didn't even answer my question. I asked you to tell me where *I* refused to admit that the play had a legit impact on the game.. Not where YOU did. I never refused to admit anything.

However, I generally find the statement, "PSU got handed the finish to that win by the refs" something that cases the majority of the blame to refs. You didn't even address what LSU did afterwards, with more than enough time on the clock, until many others pointed that out.

I only read what you wrote, and what you wrote did lay your intentions as the refs screwing up and PSU getting the win as a result.

Last edited by Comey : 01-01-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:18 PM   #186
RedKingGold
College Starter

Penn State wins, LSU loses. That's all that matters to me.
RedKingGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:20 PM   #187
Tigercat
College Starter

Quote:
However, I generally find the statement, "PSU got handed the finish to that win by the refs" something that cases the majority of the blame to refs. You didn't even address what LSU did afterwards, with more than enough time on the clock, until many others pointed that out.

I only read what you wrote, and what you wrote did lay your intentions as the refs screwing up and PSU getting the win as a result.

Notice I said THE FINISH not the game/win. The biggest impact to the finish of that game was the penalty decision. I said finish deliberately, if I wanted to say the game/win I would have said such. It was you not reading what I wrote that started this whole absurd back and forth, so maybe we would be better off if you practice what you preach.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #188
MrBug708
Head Coach

PAC-10 is bad this year
MrBug708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM   #189
Comey
College Starter

It's the same difference to me; there was more after that penalty where LSU made many mistakes. Yes, the play-calling changed because of the penalty; but the clock management that took place directly after the penalty is not a result of the penalty (good Lord, that sentence looks bad). I guess it's down to semantics.

LSU still should have not interjected; let their coach fight the refs for that. But, what's done is done.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #190
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

sitting here watching the Bobby Bowden presser, I'm gonna miss that man...Props coach .
Old 01-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #191
Comey
College Starter

Holy cow...there are a lot of passes that should have been interceptions today. Between the 40 passes that should have been intercepted in the PSU/LSU game, and already here in the Rose Bowl...lots of missed opportunities.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:42 PM   #192
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Cmon DUCKS LETS GET IT TOGETHER SHIT!
Old 01-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #193
tarcone
Coordinator

quack quack, choke, choke.

I know its early. But OSU is dominating.
Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #194
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarcone View Post
quack quack, choke, choke.

I know its early. But OSU is dominating.

please continue...
Old 01-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #195
tarcone
Coordinator

LOL

Oregon woke up a bit there didnt they.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 PM   #196
digamma
Torchbearer

Herbstreit is totally objective.
digamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 05:25 PM   #197
tarcone
Coordinator

Happy Feet Prior at work again
Old 01-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #198
Radii
Head Coach

Quote:

You may not realize it but you complain about the refs in every single LSU and Saints game you post about. Lots of people do it, its not a big deal or anything, but its absolutely there :P
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #199
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radii View Post
You may not realize it but you complain about the refs in every single LSU and Saints game you post about. Lots of people do it, its not a big deal or anything, but its absolutely there :P

It's a tough realization...like when someone finally tells you that you're a chucker during pickup bball games.
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #200
tarcone
Coordinator

Big win by OSU. Go Big Ten.