Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #151
Swaggs
Coordinator

He is donating his winnings ($1.4M) to charity. That is pretty cool. If it was me, I would have been tempted to fire another missile at the moon.
Swaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #152
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Come on Jon, the moon was fucking asking for it.

Sometimes you just have to go preemptive. Who knows what those moonmen are planning up there.
Autumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #153
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

At least there's still one grown up in the GOP.

McCain:

Quote:
I congratulate President Obama on receiving this prestigious award. I join my fellow Americans in expressing pride in our President on this occasion. I think part of their decision-making was expectations. And I'm sure the president understands that he now has even more to live up to. But as Americans, we're proud when our president receives an award of that prestigious category.

Too bad most in the GOP favor this guy.

Limbaugh:

Quote:
"Folks, do you realize something has happened here that we all agree with the Taliban and Iran about and that is he doesn't deserve the award. Now that's hilarious, that I'm on the same side of something with the Taliban, and that we all are on the same side as the Taliban."

Last edited by JPhillips : 10-09-2009 at 02:35 PM.
JPhillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #154
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post
He is donating his winnings ($1.4M) to charity. That is pretty cool. If it was me, I would have been tempted to fire another missile at the moon.

That would be pretty sweet, to be president. Every time you're really pumped about something shoot a nuclear missile into orbit. BOOM. And the bonus is you're reducing nuclear stockpiles and probably get yourself another prize.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #155
Flasch186
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggs View Post

If nothing else comes out of it this is a good thing.

Putting a New Spin on Real Estate!

-----------------------------------------------------------

Commissioner of the USFL
USFL
Flasch186 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #156
Young Drachma
Dark Cloud

Classy (and appropriate) response by McCain. I think it's a bit crazy too that he won, but people acting as if he was lobbying the Nobel committee for the award is a bit crazy and well..I dunno. I just think the response is obviously Obama-fatigue, but it's also a bit too much rancor and I'm hardly of fan of him or his party on much of anything politically.

Last edited by Young Drachma : 10-09-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Young Drachma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM   #157
Autumn
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPhillips View Post
To bad most in the GOP favor this guy.

Limbaugh:

That is funny in that I'm sure if a liberal had something like that a few years ago they would have had them swinging on the gallows for treason. You'd think Rush would be a little more careful with his words, but I've never listened to him, maybe that's just what he does.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #158
Autumn
Head Coach

You do have to wonder what was going through the minds of the Nobel committee. They must have the biggest man crush / crush in the world.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #159
Daimyo
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
I certainly can't think of one that promised more than Obama.

He gets four years like everyone else, but there's no way he can deliver all his promises. Certainly not after blowing the first 9 months.

If I'm wrong, I'll definitely vote for him in 2012. Because he basically promised he'll be the best president in history.

The way I remember it, Obama identified three overarching concerns for his first term: energy, health care, and education. The economic crisis obviously also became a key issue before the election. I think he's been pretty strategic about attacking those items.

First he directed his efforts at the economic crisis. While many of his supporters may feel he didn't go far enough, he probably did about as well as could.

Next he went after health care and now, three quarters of the way through his first year, we may actually be close to substantive health care reform even if, again, not to the extent that he or many of his supporters may have hoped for.

I'm guessing energy is next on the slate with education to follow in years 3 and 4. I'm not sure how he could have been expected to deal with all four in the first 9 months or really move much faster than he has given the situation.
Daimyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #160
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm still pretty upset that he didn't end slavery in 8 months.

Hmmmmmm.... obvious question coming up here..... wondering if you know the history or not, or are just being smart.....

Did he promise to? Or in fact, did he promise to keep slavery in the states where it already existed?
Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #161
mtolson
H.S. Freshman Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson View Post
The last one was treated worse. The one before that was treated about as bad. The one before that was treated better. The one before that is a little trickier - certainly a smaller, more irrelevant amount of dissaproval, but it was pretty nasty at times .

I think we are talking of two different types of treatment. Bush did not have to endure comments like "Kill Him", "Terrorist", "Treason" before he was even elected. Bush did not have looming over his head white supremacists plotting to go on a national killing spree, shooting and decapitating Black people. Or what about the Joker image put out.

I think we are referring to different type of "Bad" treatment.
mtolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 02:47 PM   #162
larrymcg421
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Hmmmmmm.... obvious question coming up here..... wondering if you know the history or not, or are just being smart.....

The latter.

Quote:
Did he promise to? Or in fact, did he promise to keep slavery in the states where it already existed?

It was as reasonable to expect him to seek ending slavery everywhere as it was to expect Obama to be a champion of gay rights.

Franchise Portfolio Draft Winner
Fictional Character Draft Winner
Television Family Draft Winner
Build Your Own Hollywood Studio Draft Winner

Last edited by larrymcg421 : 10-09-2009 at 02:56 PM.
larrymcg421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #163
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Well, Obama actually said he would repeal DOMA and Don't Ask Don't Tell and that doesn't appear to be the case. The analogy to Lincoln is a poor one.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #164
I. J. Reilly
College Prospect

So, what I’ve learned from all this is that I don’t have the mental agility required to follow a thread where both molson and mtolson are posting.
I. J. Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #165
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymcg421 View Post
I'm still pretty upset that he didn't end slavery in 8 months.

I guess he was a warmonger too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Cloud
None of this shit is personal. It's the internet.
RomaGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:21 PM   #166
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers9911 View Post
Come on Jon, the moon was fucking asking for it.

I believe you are correct!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marvin_the_martian_jackets.jpg (26.0 KB, 142 views)

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #167
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
At least there's still one grown up in the GOP.

McCain:

Too bad most in the GOP favor this guy.

Limbaugh:

So you are saying that the GOP favors a radio personality over a guy that they nominated as their party's presidential candidate? That is just silly.

FWIW, Limbaugh is a loon.

Quote:
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM   #168
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

yeah, I came back to the thread to say I found the butt hurt. Apparently every Sean Hannity caller could use some Preparation H today.

I can see laughter and amusement as a reaction to this. Rage and anger? Not so much.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #169
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaGoth View Post
So you are saying that the GOP favors a radio personality over a guy that they nominated as their party's presidential candidate? That is just silly.

I should have said more rather than most. There was a poll this summer where more republicans said Limbaugh was the leader of the GOP than McCain.
Old 10-09-2009, 03:59 PM   #170
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by I. J. Reilly View Post
So, what I’ve learned from all this is that I don’t have the mental agility required to follow a thread where both molson and mtolson are posting.

Tell me about it. Sometimes I look at my old posts and I'm like, "Great point molson!" - and it wasn't even me.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:22 PM   #171
Warhammer
Pro Starter

I guess where I come down on this issue is that here we are with a President that hasn't done much of anything to garner the award and he wins it because of his "Cult of Personality".

Now, those of us that chuckle about it are being labeled as having our butts hurt. I guess I am used to rewarding people who actually get stuff done rather than make others feel good.

If Bush's grand experiment of introducing democracy to an Arab Middle East nation succeeds, he would be more worthy of the NPP than Obama by far. The problem is, we won't know whether or not it was successful for at least another 10 years.

Obama has talked a good game, but he has produced very little. I will even argue that many of his moves are counter-productive. Even Cash for Clunkers, which is probably his most successful initiative, was counter-productive in the long run. Car sales are slumping again, and the flaws in the program did not substantially improve the average MPG of cars on the road in the US.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #172
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

I heard this when it broke late last nite (for me) and woke up this morning shocked as hell at all the people pissed at Obama for this. LOL its hilarious but there are articles, tweets and all kinds of stuff bashing him. I'm pretty sure he didn't even expect to win, and I doubt he lobbied for it himself. I don't think anyone should be mad at him for winning. Maybe at the Committee who gave it out, but not Obama.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #173
Karlifornia
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post

If Bush's grand experiment of introducing democracy to an Arab Middle East nation succeeds,

LOL
Old 10-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #174
RainMaker
General Manager

Who gives a fuck? I mean I can't even name the last few winners.

I do think it's an honor when any American receives the reward, but not sure why there is people blaming him for winning it.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:21 PM   #175
mh2365
H.S. Freshman Team

Okay starting right now for the next year or so I am going to continue to throw the words "peace, hope and change" into every thing I say but not actually do anything. Maybe next year at this time I will win the Nobel Peace Prize.

I hope everyone is at peace right now as I am getting ready to go change for work! <- sentence if filled with Nobel Peace WIN ....
Old 10-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #176
terpkristin
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter_of_69 View Post
I like Obama as much as the next liberal.

But yeah, this. WTF.

+1.

/tk
terpkristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #177
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlifornia View Post
LOL

Dude, Barack Obama just won the Nobel Peace Prize after nine months in office, during which the Iran situation has gotten worse, he refused to meet with the Dalai Llama for fear of upsetting the Chinese, gave up missile defense in Europe, which angered Poland and didn't net us any noticable return on diplomatic relations with Russia (and which of those two countries has been the aggressor over the past century?), and has been played like a fool by several tinpot South American dictators.

After all that, he won the Nobel Peace Prize. Now, not when he's 60 years old and has actually (hopefully) accomplished amazing and wonderful things for the world. He won it now. After that, anything's possible, including Bush's experiment in Middle East democracy bearing some fruit.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #178
Galaxy
Coordinator

I blame Oprah......
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #179
JediKooter
Coordinator

Didn't Al Gore win this thing a few years ago for inventing carbon credits or something stupid like that?

Coming this summer to a movie theater near you: The Adventures of Jedikooter: Part 4
JediKooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #180
JPhillips
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
Dude, Barack Obama just won the Nobel Peace Prize after nine months in office, during which the Iran situation has gotten worse, he refused to meet with the Dalai Llama for fear of upsetting the Chinese, gave up missile defense in Europe, which angered Poland and didn't net us any noticable return on diplomatic relations with Russia (and which of those two countries has been the aggressor over the past century?), and has been played like a fool by several tinpot South American dictators.

After all that, he won the Nobel Peace Prize. Now, not when he's 60 years old and has actually (hopefully) accomplished amazing and wonderful things for the world. He won it now. After that, anything's possible, including Bush's experiment in Middle East democracy bearing some fruit.

How has Iran gotten worse? Shouldn't you at least give a little credit to the combined front of UK/France/Germany/US?

Are you talking about the same Russia that has made much more positive statements about Iran sanctions or the Russia that did this:

Quote:
Russia says it has scrapped plans to deploy missiles in a region near Poland after U.S. President Barack Obama canceled plans for a missile defense system in Central Europe.

Are you talking about Poland where this was true,

Quote:
[A] poll from August 2008 (when the treaty was signed) showed that 56% of the public opposed the missiles and only 27% supported supported them.

and this is true,

Quote:
How would you rate the U.S. decision to withdraw from the construction in our country’s missile defense elements

48% — A Good Decision For Poland
31% — A Bad Decision For Poland
21% — Don’t Know

And who are the several tinpot dictators? We'll disagree on whether Chavez has accomplished anything, but who els are you talking about?

And just to inoculate myself, I'm not really trying to defend the Nobel as I think it was at best a questionable choice, but while I don't think there's a list of Obama accomplishments, I think you're really stretching to create this list of Obama failures.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #181
CamEdwards
Stadium Announcer

Quote:
How has Iran gotten worse? Shouldn't you at least give a little credit to the combined front of UK/France/Germany/US?

Are you talking about the same Russia that has made much more positive statements about Iran sanctions or the Russia that did this:

Are you talking about Poland where this was true,

and this is true,

And who are the several tinpot dictators? We'll disagree on whether Chavez has accomplished anything, but who els are you talking about?

And just to inoculate myself, I'm not really trying to defend the Nobel as I think it was at best a questionable choice, but while I don't think there's a list of Obama accomplishments, I think you're really stretching to create this list of Obama failures.

I didn't call them failures. We don't have a pile of glowing radioactive rubble where a city used to be. I just don't view them as wise moves. I don't know where I even mentioned Chavez's accomplishments, but Obama's move to normalize relations with Bolivia and his support of Zelaya (though certainly not outside the international norm) bothers me quite a bit.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 PM   #182
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtolson View Post
I think we are talking of two different types of treatment. Bush did not have to endure comments like "Kill Him", "Terrorist", "Treason" before he was even elected. Bush did not have looming over his head white supremacists plotting to go on a national killing spree, shooting and decapitating Black people. Or what about the Joker image put out.

I think we are referring to different type of "Bad" treatment.

I preferred my state of ignorance...where molson had multiple personalities.
Glengoyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:19 PM   #183
Galaxy
Coordinator

Quote:
How has Iran gotten worse?

Have you been watching or reading the news the last few months?
Galaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #184
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamEdwards View Post
I can see laughter and amusement as a reaction to this. Rage and anger? Not so much.

This is where I'm at.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:23 PM   #185
Glengoyne
Grizzled Veteran

My initial thought was that the Nobel voters just couldn't wait to get the President's dick in their mouths.

Then I thought they might have to change the name to the "not a Bush" prize.

Finally I announced to my management team that I was awarding them the "Nobel Oracle Migration Prize". We're about three week's into a planned migration.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 PM   #186
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

The fact that the rest of the world seems to generally approve of Obama, in a strong way as well, is seen as quite negative with some people in this nation. Wanting to act multilaterally is also seen as a huge negative.

If you do not approve of the committee's decision, it can hardly be seen as the fault of the person they chose for the award. Furthermore, I strongly suspect that many of the people outraged today would be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 previous recipients. Given that, I find it hard to believe that their rage is driven by anything more than a dislike for Obama.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-09-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #187
RainMaker
General Manager

Quote:

Everytime someone says something negative about Rush, they have to go on his show and apologize. I don't think McCain has that power in the party.
RainMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #188
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Define "GOP".

The party apparatchik? I imagine they favor McCain. The people who actually cast votes for McCain? At best he's 50-50 with Rush, and probably not even that close in terms of who we'd have more agreement with.

I wouldn't take 10 McCain's for one Rush, and I don't even listen to him more than a few times a year.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:06 AM   #189
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Having read all through this thread, it is my impression that some liberal leaning posters in this thread have tried hard to manufacture the "Obama is under attack by conservatives for winning" argument, when it seems pretty clear to me that most, if not perhaps even all, such conservatives here are attacking the committee's decision, not Obama.

The only negative Obama-isms I have seen have come from responses to posts from those same liberals who are trying to build up Obama's "accomplishments" to justify the committee's decision.

I have to question anyone's rationality who seriously considers this award to be anywhere near justifiable. It's basically stripped this once lauded prize of just about any prestige and value it once had, IMO.

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Chief Rum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 01:35 AM   #190
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post
Those were a pretty great two weeks.

Members of the committee have until the first official meeting to register their nominations, so that deadline is not a hard deadline. When the committee meets, they narrow down the list, which is later considered by another group. They compile reports over several months that are then given to the Nobel Committee to make the decision.

It is also relevant to point out that the nomination process and selection process are not tied together. It is not a situation where the nominator has to make the case for his nominee to win. Nominations are accepted and the selection process goes on its own path and does not have to limit their consideration of each nominee according to what they accomplished by February 1 of the year. It is a living process that can be influenced by events happening that very day or week that they are working through the selection process.

I don't proclaim to follow and study the Nobel Peace Prize nearly as well as some of you here do, based on the claims that it devalues the award. I can only presume that you know enough about each and every winner in the past to know how Obama truly stacks up against them all. As far as I know, only one person has ever refused the award (Lê Đức Thọ) and he was from communist Vietnam. If that is the case, the mere suggestion that he refuse the award (put forward by supposed Nobel Peace Prize scholars) would almost seem like a trojan horse so that ads can be ran next election with him alongside a Vietnamese communist as the only two people that ever refused it.

Last edited by Tekneek : 10-10-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 AM   #191
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek View Post
Members of the committee have until the first official meeting to register their nominations, so that deadline is not a hard deadline. When the committee meets, they narrow down the list, which is later considered by another group. They compile reports over several months that are then given to the Nobel Committee to make the decision.

It is also relevant to point out that the nomination process and selection process are not tied together. It is not a situation where the nominator has to make the case for his nominee to win. Nominations are accepted and the selection process goes on its own path and does not have to limit their consideration of each nominee according to what they accomplished by February 1 of the year. It is a living process that can be influenced by events happening that very day or week that they are working through the selection process.

I don't proclaim to follow and study the Nobel Peace Prize nearly as well as some of you here do, based on the claims that it devalues the award. I can only presume that you know enough about each and every winner in the past to know how Obama truly stacks up against them all. As far as I know, only one person has ever refused the award (Lê Đức Thọ) and he was from communist Vietnam. If that is the case, the mere suggestion that he refuse the award (put forward by supposed Nobel Peace Prize scholars) would almost seem like a trojan horse so that ads can be ran next election with him alongside a Vietnamese communist as the only two people that ever refused it.

If Obama's peaceful accomplishments do indeed warrant the award in comparison to past winners, then this award did not become a sham today, but has been one apparently since it was first awarded, and we're just figuring it out now.

You don't need a Master's in Nobel Peace prize history to determine that this award today either devalues the award or the award has always been crap. Frankly, the fact most of us with this conclusion went with the first speaks to the fact we actually optimistically assumed it was in the past awarded to meaningful recipients.

Are you saying it has not been?

I would rather be wrong...Than live in the shadows of your song...My mind is open wide...And now I'm ready to start...You're not sure...You open the door...And step out into the dark...Now I'm ready.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #192
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Has Hitler weighed in on this award decision yet?
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:32 AM   #193
Dutch
"Dutch"

Is it true that Nobel Peace Prize nominations had to be submitted by 10 Jan 2009?
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #194
RomaGoth
Favored Bitch #2

Quote:
Furthermore, I strongly suspect that many of the people outraged today would be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 previous recipients.

I strongly suspect that many of the people agreeing with this decision would be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 previous recipients. Stating that he deserves the award because of the perception he has something to deserve it in less than 9 months is silly. This is especially true when using the "look at the past winners, this validates Obama winning the award" argument. As Chief Rum mentioned, was the award always a sham and we are just realizing it now? Or, is Obama just the first that really does not deserve it? I see no possible way to justify this decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekneek
Given that, I find it hard to believe that their rage is driven by anything more than a dislike for Obama.

While this may be true for a small minority, most of us believe this is an absurd choice regardless of our dislike for Obama. I would also point out that it is not rage we feel, but disbelief. I have not seen anyone attack Obama for this decision, rather, the comments have been directed towards the committee's decision.

Quote:
Old 10-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #195
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Rum View Post
Are you saying it has not been?

Not at all. I am saying I don't know enough about all the previous winners to draw that conclusion. Those that have, presumably, have much more information about it than I do. Is this your admission that you don't know much about most of the winners?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #196
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
Is it true that Nobel Peace Prize nominations had to be submitted by 10 Jan 2009?

Not according to anything official that I have seen.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #197
Tekneek
Pro Rookie

Quote:
I strongly suspect that many of the people agreeing with this decision would be hard pressed to name more than 1 or 2 previous recipients.

That would not be the case for me, although I am neither agreeing nor disagreeing with the award. It is not my position to care who they give their award too. That's their business, not mine. There is a reason they've never ran their selections by me first. They don't particularly care what I think, and I am fine with that.

Quote:
Stating that he deserves the award because of the perception he has something to deserve it in less than 9 months is silly. This is especially true when using the "look at the past winners, this validates Obama winning the award" argument. As Chief Rum mentioned, was the award always a sham and we are just realizing it now? Or, is Obama just the first that really does not deserve it? I see no possible way to justify this decision.

I don't know, as I clearly stated. I am leaving that up to those of you that spend far more time studying Nobel Peace Prize history. Some of you have formed pretty strong opinions about it, so I would hope those are informed opinions.

Quote:
While this may be true for a small minority, most of us believe this is an absurd choice regardless of our dislike for Obama. I would also point out that it is not rage we feel, but disbelief. I have not seen anyone attack Obama for this decision, rather, the comments have been directed towards the committee's decision.

You may not have looked hard enough...

Quote:
Rep. J. Gresham Barrett [R, SC-3]:

Congratulations to President Obama on his prize. I’m not sure what the international community loved best; his waffling on Afghanistan, pulling defense missiles out of Eastern Europe, turning his back on freedom fighters in Honduras, coddling Castro, siding with Palestinians against Israel, or almost getting tough on Iran. The world may love it, but following in the footsteps of Jimmy Carter is not where America needs to go. Hopefully, this surprise award will give the President cause to reevaluate his current course.

Quote:
Limbaugh says “Obama gives speeches trashing his own country and for that gets a prize, which is now worth as much as whatever prizes they are putting in Cracker Jacks these days.”
Old 10-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #198
Dutch
"Dutch"

Quote:
Not according to anything official that I have seen.

Yeah, my wife just mentioned it to me...probably saw it on TV, figured I'd ask.

Quote:
Nominations must usually be submitted to the Committee by February 1 of the year in question.

That's from Wiki...but nothing official there obviously...

Wiki also had this neat tidbit just below that date, that I'll bet was added in the last couple of days...

Quote:
Unlike the other Nobel Prizes, which recognize completed scientific or literary accomplishment, the Nobel Peace Prize may be awarded to persons or organizations that are in the process of ... creating peace.

Awwww, looking forward to it!

Last edited by Dutch : 10-10-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:30 AM   #199
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Not at all. I am saying I don't know enough about all the previous winners to draw that conclusion. Those that have, presumably, have much more information about it than I do. Is this your admission that you don't know much about most of the winners?

You continue to assume that knowledge of past Nobel Peace prize history is necessary for us to come to the conclusions we have. You are wrong. All the information we need is presented right here in the present. The only thing in doubt is whether the award is just now become a sham, or if it has always been and because we didn't pay attention before, we never noticed. So stop going with that argument; it is a logical fallacy, and if something annoys me even more than blind partisanship, it is illogical argumentation.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #200
Chief Rum
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You may not have looked hard enough...

Both of your examples are criticisms on the decision to give Obama this award, based on their opinions of what he has done (Barrett's long list; Limbaugh's speech reference). They do not represent the small minority RomaGoth mentioned. Look harder.

Here is a fictitious example of something that would make your case better: "Obama is a piece of crud for making himself eligible for this award."