Front Office Football Central  

Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Archives > FOFC Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #151
Logan
Head Coach

Cowboys Stadium Offers Valuable Seating Behind This Brick Wall - cowboys stadium - Deadspin
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:47 AM   #152
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
My posts about it didn't bring it up cause I was trying to make the distinction between the college and pro experience. They both have tailgating, but there's not a few thousand 18-21 year old girls at a Giants/Jets tailgate.

I know some guys who have an RV that they bring to Eagles games. Completely decked out in the colors and logos, full grill...and a huge plasma on the exterior. They tailgate before the game and continue the tailgate throughout the game...that's the best way to do it, IMO.

so they don't even have to pay for tickets? win win situation!
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #153
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
I know some guys who have an RV that they bring to Eagles games. Completely decked out in the colors and logos, full grill...and a huge plasma on the exterior. They tailgate before the game and continue the tailgate throughout the game...that's the best way to do it, IMO.

Yeah, I've seen that at Arrowhead quite a bit. Looks like a lot of fun.

My home Gameday experience consists of DVR recording the game and starting to watch it a hour after kickoff. After fast-forwarding through commercials and halftime show, I often end up catching up to the live broadcast early in the 4th quarter.
Mizzou B-ball fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #154
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyTorgo View Post

+ much cheaper beer/food
+ you get to hear the crowd react in person
Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 AM   #155
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:

I'm not 100% sure of how they work it (I know them because they bring the same RV to Rutgers games), either they buy the parking pass off Stubhub or from another season ticket holder, or maybe someone in their group has tickets and goes in. Either way, they love it.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #156
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

I'm not a huge fan of going to NFL games because for me Sunday's are an event. Depending on where I am living at the time I get up, eat breakfast and then get together and watch the games, eat and drink alot and have a great time watching all the games.

I'm a big fantasy football fan and love betting on football games. I just feel like I miss out on the whole day when I go to one game.
Lathum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #157
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Based on this article, the scoreboard is five feet above the league minimum. Seems pretty clear to me that it's the league's fault, then. Is each individual team supposed to test this on their own to see if it's high enough? If so, why did the league bother to set a minimum?
Passacaglia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #158
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
My posts about it didn't bring it up cause I was trying to make the distinction between the college and pro experience. They both have tailgating, but there's not a few thousand 18-21 year old girls at a Giants/Jets tailgate.

The Bears put an end to this last season -- now once the game starts, no one is allowed in the parking lot.
Old 08-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #159
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
Is each individual team supposed to test this on their own to see if it's high enough?

Dallas tested it two years ago at the Alamodome and McBriar got his punt over 100 feet.

http://blog.taragana.com/e/2009/08/2...stadium-27346/

Indy also tested this when they were putting together their new stadium, and passed on having the scoreboard over the field.

ETA: The NFL is a ridiculously reactive league. When do you think that minimum was set? When Ray Guy could boom punts 75 feet high probably. Not saying it's right, but that's how the NFL works.

Last edited by Logan : 08-25-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:07 PM   #160
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
ETA: The NFL is a ridiculously reactive league. When do you think that minimum was set? When Ray Guy could boom punts 75 feet high probably. Not saying it's right, but that's how the NFL works.

It probably was set a long time ago. But if the NFL is going to set a minimum, they kind of lose credibility when they bitch about a team that's complying with it.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:14 PM   #161
Logan
Head Coach

No comment on me answering your first question?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM   #162
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:
No comment on me answering your first question?

Was your answer yes or no?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #163
Passacaglia
Coordinator

If the answer is yes, than that should be the rule and it's stupid to have a league minimum in the first place. If the answer is no...well, I'm assuming you wouldn't say the answer is no, because then you wouldn't have a problem with this.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:17 PM   #164
Logan
Head Coach

Would they have tested it if they didn't think it could be an issue? What sort of complete fucking moron tests for something, finds out the result, and ignores it?
Old 08-25-2009, 12:19 PM   #165
Dr. Sak
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Would they have tested it if they didn't think it could be an issue? What sort of complete fucking moron tests for something, finds out the result, and ignores it?

I heard Dallas used Jerry Jones' great grandson as the punter.
Dr. Sak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #166
Passacaglia
Coordinator

Quote:

He's rationalized it in his own way. I don't agree with his rationalization --IMO punters do try very hard to make sure the kick goes high enough instead of merely kicking it downfield, and tons of punts end up straight down the middle. All I'm saying is that the league has set a rule on the matter, and he's abiding by it. If the league thinks he was in the wrong, they should have changed the rule.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:30 PM   #167
Logan
Head Coach

I'm not disagreeing, and if Jones' response was something along the lines of "we'll discuss and address the issue if necessary" I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. But his first reaction was "we're not moving it, our punter will have to deal with it as well, they're hitting it on purpose" etc.

We can all read between the lines. Moving it any higher will make it less viewable for his season ticket holders who are paying the most for the lowest, closest to the field seats.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #168
DaddyTorgo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
He's rationalized it in his own way. I don't agree with his rationalization --IMO punters do try very hard to make sure the kick goes high enough instead of merely kicking it downfield, and tons of punts end up straight down the middle. All I'm saying is that the league has set a rule on the matter, and he's abiding by it. If the league thinks he was in the wrong, they should have changed the rule.

whoopie doo. so the competititon committee will have a special meeting and make a binding ruling that he alter it by date X (idk if they can say right away or what their powers are like), and in the interim it'll be watched by official Y and be a do-over if it hits the screen.

and it'll end up being moved anyways...so why is he (and some cowboys fans apparently) being sticks in the mud about it? Just move the damn thing now, avoid the controversy and be done with it.
DaddyTorgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #169
Passacaglia
Coordinator

I wouldn't move it if I were him either, based on what's happened so far. If the league told me, "you know, you really should move it" I'd tell them to get off mah lawn. It's passive-aggressive I know, but I'd at least stick to my guns until the league admits they fucked up by changing the rule, and not do anything I don't want to do until they force me to. I'm a pretty avid Cowboy hater, and it's pretty fun to dump on them all, but I think the league is being pretty hypocritical here if they want him to change it just cuz they're asking nicely.
Old 08-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #170
molson
General Manager

Quote:
Based on this article, the scoreboard is five feet above the league minimum. Seems pretty clear to me that it's the league's fault, then. Is each individual team supposed to test this on their own to see if it's high enough? If so, why did the league bother to set a minimum?

It's still dumb from a product/franchise standpoint.

What does Jones want? To do nothing and have punts bouncing off the scoreboard and seeing fans and the mainstream media ridiculue his fancy and craptacular new stadium? Fine, let him win and have that. If he wants to feel like a big-shot and feel "in the right" against the NFL, the NFL should let him. He'll still be the one with the flawed stadium with the odd quirk that invites bizzare strategies.

Last edited by molson : 08-25-2009 at 04:19 PM.
molson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #171
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
avoid the controversy

Because Jerry Jones has always been one to shy away from controversial moves...
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #172
stevew
Hall Of Famer

It seems obvious that a solution whereby it can quickly go up 10-15 feet every time a punt play happens would be the best solution to the issue. The fans get it in their normal zone, and at 105 feet only jackassery will be attempting to hit it with a punt.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #173
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Rumor in KC is that Tyler Thigpen is unhappy and wants to be traded. Jacksonville is offering next year's 5th round pick. The Mizzou fan in me wants to see Washington hold on to Colt Brennen so Chase Daniel could be picked up as the #3 QB in KC. Some of the articles from DC seem to indicate that may not happen.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #174
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

NFL Network showing the Eagles game, Vick looks pretty good so far.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:22 PM   #175
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizzou B-ball fan View Post
Rumor in KC is that Tyler Thigpen is unhappy and wants to be traded. Jacksonville is offering next year's 5th round pick. The Mizzou fan in me wants to see Washington hold on to Colt Brennen so Chase Daniel could be picked up as the #3 QB in KC. Some of the articles from DC seem to indicate that may not happen.

As the resident Tyler Thigpen fan here, I'm hoping he does get traded. His career as a starter in KC was over the day they traded for Cassell. I'm not sure the situation in Jacksonville would be much better than KC with Gerrard there, but at least he'd be a solid #2 over their other backups. Several other teams have had interest in Thigpen too-Baltimore apparantly considered trading for him not too long ago and Carolina, Houston, and a couple other teams have asked about him too. KC is said to be asking for a third rounder, which probably won't happen, so it will likely be for a fourth rounder if he gets moved anywhere.
Thomkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:50 AM   #176
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

This is NOT the way to go about requesting a trade. You wonder sometimes if a player like Brandon Marshall will ever regret this down the road or if he actually thinks he's doing the right thing in this instance.

Video
Old 08-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #177
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:
This is NOT the way to go about requesting a trade. You wonder sometimes if a player like Brandon Marshall will ever regret this down the road or if he actually thinks he's doing the right thing in this instance.

Video

Wow. I've seen some athletes act like spoiled children before but...wow.
Diablo III (BattleTag: DataKing#1685)
Allegiances:
Chicago Bears - Detroit Red Wings - Kansas Jayhawks
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
DataKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM   #178
Radii
Head Coach

Being a whiny dbag worked for Cutler, he's just following his quarterback's lead, no?
Radii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #179
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Denver Broncos' Brandon Marshall suspended by NFL - ESPN

Looks like they've suspended him for it. Can't say I'm surprised.

As for the Cutler thing, I'm not going to comment, because I can't be unbiased (since I'm a Bears fan). I just don't recall seeing someone actually show up at practice, then act that disinterested. He should just hold out if he's going to act that way.
Allegiances:
Awards:
2011 Golden Scribe - Other Sports Category (The Straight(away) and Narrow - A Forza Motorsport 3 Dynasty)
Old 08-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #180
JAG
Grizzled Veteran

Weird that the title of the article said 'suspended by the NFL'. That raised an eyebrow for me, but then I read that it was indeed the Broncos that suspended him.
JAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 PM   #181
Ronnie Dobbs2
Pro Rookie

Re: BigScreenGate

Adam Shefter raised an interesting thought - what if a QB goes back to pass, doesn't like what he sees, and launches it into the scoreboard? Do-over? If so, that seems like a problem to me.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:25 PM   #182
MikeVic
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs2 View Post

Adam Shefter raised an interesting thought - what if a QB goes back to pass, doesn't like what he sees, and launches it into the scoreboard? Do-over? If so, that seems like a problem to me.

Looks like Romo is going to the Pro Bowl.
MikeVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 03:44 PM   #183
gstelmack
Pro Starter

The part I don't get is Dallas' punter hit 100 feet when they tested this 2 years ago. So they put it at 90? This thing needs to go up 20 feet, and Jerry Jones is slowly turning into Al Davis in wanting to be above the NFL.
Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #184
DataKing
Pro Rookie

Quote:

I could see that being called a delay-of-game penalty or something of the sort. Punts are supposed to be high in order to give the coverage team time to get down the field. Any thrown football that hits those video screens is obviously on purpose.

Edit: Right or wrong, part of the referees' job is to gauge intent.
Allegiances:
Awards:

Last edited by DataKing : 08-28-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #185
Logan
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
I could see that being called a delay-of-game penalty or something of the sort. Punts are supposed to be high in order to give the coverage team time to get down the field. Any thrown football that hits those video screens is obviously on purpose.

Edit: Right or wrong, part of the referees' job is to gauge intent.

If he's out of the pocket and it goes past the LOS, it can't be intentional grounding.

Anything besides that and they need to come up with a rule for it.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #186
k0ruptr
Pro Starter

Brady to Moss looks unstoppable again...
k0ruptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #187
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

I think the Packers want the regular season to start.

14/19, 258 yds, 3 TDs for Rodgers in the first half.
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:25 PM   #188
Lathum
Favored Bitch #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DataKing View Post
Wow. I've seen some athletes act like spoiled children before but...wow.

What amazes me is how one of his veteren teammates didn't grab him by his facemask and kick the crap out of him.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #189
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Was at the game, the first team looked amazing. The defense looked pretty solid by forcing turnovers and making big stops as well. The cut fodder was pretty brutal - as is the team's backup QBs. Still, the Pack look like they could surprise this season. I just hope they find a decent backup QB before the season starts, Brohm is atrocious.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:11 AM   #190
stevew
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

I think that would be fairly hard to do? Trajectory, speed, gravity. etc? Just seems like a good way to make an awkward throw and have to get tommy john surgery.
stevew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:14 AM   #191
Tasan
College Starter

He needs to keep that up for the season, as he'll hopefully be leading my fantasy team back to a title.
Old 08-29-2009, 01:16 AM   #192
Mustang
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arles View Post
Was at the game, the first team looked amazing. The defense looked pretty solid by forcing turnovers and making big stops as well. The cut fodder was pretty brutal - as is the team's backup QBs. Still, the Pack look like they could surprise this season. I just hope they find a decent backup QB before the season starts, Brohm is atrocious.

Brohm just looks flat out lost back there. There has been no progression since last season and there is nothing that even hints at him being a QB in the NFL right now.

Flynn as the backup doesn't excite me much either. If he could throw it more than 20 yards, I'd be surprised... "Flynn drops back, lofts it deeeeeeep down the sideline. CAUGHT for a 12 yard gain...."
You, you will regret what you have done this day. I will make you regret ever being born. Your going to wish you never left your mothers womb, where it was warm and safe... and wet. i am going to show you pain you never knew existed, you are going to see a whole new spectrum of pain, like a Rainboooow. But! This rainbow is not just like any other rainbow, its...
Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:19 AM   #193
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Helped by at least 3 Cardinals fumbles before I went to bed. Saw it was 38-10 at the half this morning. Thank god for Matt Leinart who led the reserves in nearly coming back to win the game with over 300 yards passing and 3 TDs (though with an INT too) Yeah yeah big deal it was the reserves, but still nice to see Leinart produce after being rumored to be the third string QB out of camp. It's Green Bay at Arizona in the last game of the season, I wonder how big that game will be for each team.

And I really wish they would stop playing opponents in the preseason that they will face in the regular season-makes no sense to me.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:57 AM   #194
JonInMiddleGA
Hall Of Famer

Somewhere out there a college football team just got handed a chance to make a huge mistake.

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -The Kansas City Chiefs have fired Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator.

The Chiefs said head coach Todd Haley would address Gailey's status with the team after Monday's practice.

The Chiefs had retained Gailey when Haley was hired in the offseason.

The team is heading into the 2009 season with big questions about its offensive line, and the health of quarterback Matt Cassel. Cassel was injured in Saturday's preseason loss to Seattle.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:02 PM   #195
Samdari
Roster Filler

Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -The Kansas City Chiefs have fired Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator.

The Chiefs said head coach Todd Haley would address Gailey's status with the team after Monday's practice.

The Chiefs had retained Gailey when Haley was hired in the offseason.

The team is heading into the 2009 season with big questions about its offensive line, and the health of quarterback Matt Cassel. Cassel was injured in Saturday's preseason loss to Seattle.

Stunning.

Both the Chiefs and Broncos who hired NE expatriots hoping to emulate the organizational continuity have really seemed to get the opposite of what they were hoping for.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:08 PM   #196
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samdari View Post
Stunning.

Both the Chiefs and Broncos who hired NE expatriots hoping to emulate the organizational continuity have really seemed to get the opposite of what they were hoping for.

Honestly, I'm just surprised that it didn't happen sooner. I'm sure Todd Haley will take over much of the play calling and that's probably an improvement over Gailey without question.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:10 AM   #197
Mizzou B-ball fan
General Manager

Interesting trade rumor floating around.........

Broncos get Leinart
Arizona gets Brandon Marshall, KC's 2nd rounder and Croyle/Thigpen
Chiefs get Boldin

Would love to see Boldin on the opposite side with Bowe.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 AM   #198
Thomkal
Head Coach

Quote:

Broncos get Leinart
Chiefs get Boldin

well as much as I would like Thigpen on my favorite team, I can't see the Cards wanting Marshall. They've stood firm on Boldin's contract complaining, so doubt they want to trade him for another complainer. I was just reading today how the Cards like how Leinart has come around this off/pre-season, and how he handled his initial benching in favor of Warner.

You would think if Boldin was to go anywhere it would be to KC given the Arizona connections there now. But does Haley want Boldin after his blow-up last season?
Old 09-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #199
Arles
Grey Dog Software

Quote:

Broncos get Leinart
Chiefs get Boldin

Makes no sense for Arizona. They swap unhappy WRs and move Leinart (actually looks decent) for Croyle and a 2nd. I'd much rather have Boldin over Marshall and with as Gimpy as Warner looks this season, there's no way I'd give up Leinart.
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #200
DataKing
Pro Rookie

You're also talking about a trade involving division foes (Denver and KC), which teams are typically loathe to do.
Allegiances:
Awards: