Go Back   Front Office Football Central > Main Forums > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read Statistics

Old 06-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #151
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFozzie View Post
Welcome to the Wardancer hate club.

Why? I've run into the following Wardancer.

+AG/Strip Ball

Would you like to try to deal with a Wardancer that can leap on a roll of 2+, and who if he gets a pushback against your ball carrier, will make him drop the ball? (Unless he has sure hands).

Hate HATE HATE them.

That's why I took em, to try to get past my hate.

As a WE player, the best WD variant is the +1 ST. A blodger that for most unassisted players is a 2 die block my choice? Sign me up!

The WD with +1 AG is nice as well. That said, if you focus too much on fouling the WDs you will get your butt beat by a decent WE player.

That is actually one reason why a Treeman should be a relatively early buy for a WE team. The Tree demands so much attention that it allows your other guys to survive.
Warhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 PM   #152
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calis View Post
Thanks for posting that Foz! I do like the look of those DE stats. That's a team I think I'd enjoy.

Another question, is there weather? Seems like a given, did it just not make the cut into the game? Thinking a nice mud bowl would be nice for slowing those pesky elves down.

Dark Elves play much differently from Wood Elves. They are bashier than the other elves, but not quite as durable as High Elves. Personally, I do not like them. If you are playing a good opponent, they can bait you into some bad decisions.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:10 PM   #153
BYU 14
Coordinator

Crap, it doesn't look like my Radeon 9800 can handle this. It meets the specs but I keep freezing after a few minutes, even with all the graphics settings in the game turned down.

Well I needed a new card anyway I guess and FWIW I liked what I was able to see of the game
BYU 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:59 PM   #154
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

I have a question: when I was creating my wood elves team earlier I noticed that when I tried to choose different body styles, nothing visually changed. Is this something that's broken with the game, or do I need to have specific graphic settings at a specific level to see the various body styles?

I was able to see different skins, for what its worth.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:29 PM   #155
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU 14 View Post
Crap, it doesn't look like my Radeon 9800 can handle this. It meets the specs but I keep freezing after a few minutes, even with all the graphics settings in the game turned down.

Well I needed a new card anyway I guess and FWIW I liked what I was able to see of the game

Dola on this, I have noticed on the BB forums that some people are still having an issue with video cards overheating, anyone here had that issue?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:49 AM   #156
Calis
College Starter

My new low point last night. In my Chaos campaign it was the end of the game and I was going for it to get to the endzone and tie it up. I was using my best Beastman and was out of rerolls.

Failed the go for it. Not only failed the go for it but HE DIED. There was no one within half a field of him. I can only assume he tripped and impaled himself on the ball.

Talk about a double whammy.

I can also say I'm pretty concerned about the FOFC league seeing as how my Chaos team is 1-2 against easy AI. Having a tough time figuring them out.
Calis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #157
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Best Blood Bowl story ever (at least for me):

We're playing in college, my Woodies against a High Elf team. The game is tied, late in the game, and the other guys are looking to score. His Lion Warrior is off on his own, 7 steps from my Wardancer. He GFIs twice. Fails the roll, re-rolls it. Fails again. Falls down, and dies. The ball scatters out of bounds, gets thrown back in to my star thrower, Jim Plunkwood. He picks it up, throws the Hail Mary pass to my catcher with diving catch who dives into the end zone for the score on the last turn of the game. For the record, it was Jerry Mice who caught the pass.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:08 AM   #158
KWhit
Coordinator

Quote:
My new low point last night. In my Chaos campaign it was the end of the game and I was going for it to get to the endzone and tie it up. I was using my best Beastman and was out of rerolls.

Failed the go for it. Not only failed the go for it but HE DIED. There was no one within half a field of him. I can only assume he tripped and impaled himself on the ball.

Talk about a double whammy.

That is hysterical.

But, uh.. Sorry for your loss.

KWhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:49 AM   #159
RendeR
Coordinator

OK its official, this game has become an addiction in less than 48 hours of use....

I was up ALL night playing a human campaign. 2 full seasons. Went 3-0 then lost in the qualifyer to a piss poor skaven team. Second season I went 2-1 and won the cup!

Team is 8-2 overall and my catcher named "TJ Houshmanzadeh" is level 4, gained an agility so he's 4 AG base has both catching skills and has scored 14 TD's. I bought all the level 3 armor for him too to try and keep him alive =)

I'm having a blast with this game. Orcs are a royal bitch to beat, but I think I've got a handle on them now. Still haven't actually faced woodies. Chaos trounced me when I played them with Lizards, gonna have to see how the humans handle them.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #160
tyketime
College Benchwarmer

I'm at work on lunch break, but only have access to internet via my Treo. What are the download restrictions? Can I download to both a PC & my laptop (provided I only play one machine at a time)?
tyketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 PM   #161
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyketime View Post
I'm at work on lunch break, but only have access to internet via my Treo. What are the download restrictions? Can I download to both a PC & my laptop (provided I only play one machine at a time)?

You get three different activations, so yes.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #162
BYU 14
Coordinator

I didn't realize I had an AGP video card, luckily Dell has 1 solid option in the Radeon X1550, but now I have to wait another 3 days

Needed the new Vid card anyway, so this just rushed the process.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #163
aran
High School Varsity

Oh man is this game fun!

I bought this game last night. While it was downloading, I read through the LRB. It really helped me to understand the game and I didn't need to go through the tutorial.

Today I putzed around in exhibition games with orcs to get a feel for how the game works. Played my first game to a 0-0 draw against a lizardman team. At the end of the first half, one of their players was in the clear with only 4 squares to go. Saved by the bell! Then, at the end of the second half, fortunes shifted: I used my troll to throw a ball-carrying goblin within TWO SQUARES of the opponent's endzone right when regulation expired. SO CLOSE.

I had a lot of fun in that game.

Then I started a campaign as orcs. I may have made a mistake by picking up a troll initially--the "really stupid" trait makes him not particularly useful early in the game. Especially since I've not used his throw ability at all because I've been keeping my thrower on the field instead of the goblin for ball-carrying duties.

First game I played in teh campaign was a against a skaven team. Their speed caught me off-guard on turn 5 and they broke through for a score. They paid the price, though. I was injuring their players left and right. Starting the second half, they had 7 players left to field. By the end of the game, they had four left. I managed to grab the ball with my thrower at one point, dump it off to my blitzer who broke into the open for a score only a few turns into the second half. The rest of the game was them playing keep away as I injured more players. I could not chase them down in time to pull away with the win. I had a blitzer two squares from the endzone with the ball when the final whistle sounded. Intense.
aran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:46 PM   #164
Tasan
College Starter

I actually won a game in my campaign. Went 1-2-1 in the first league as humans. Hopefully things start going better, I'm getting a decent feel for the game now, I think. The hardest thing has been trying to remember not to do something hard towards the first of my turn and failing. Then pounding my fist when a 2 dice roll goes badly on the first play. Those drive me nuts.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:34 PM   #165
aran
High School Varsity

I've been playing on medium. It has been fun and challengiing. Three games into my campaign my record is 1W 2D 0L. Two 1-1 games and a 2-1 game. All three games were nail-biters.

I thought the last game was going to be higher scoring--both teams scored a TD in the first half. My thrower threw a pick-six and that was to be their only TD. In the second half I played more aggressively, crashing through the human's thrower pocket, doing some vicious flanking maneuvers. I left a couple of guys open on the back side figuring there's no way they could throw an accurate pass that far. They ended up throwing a pass that missed its target (around the area where I had their downfield players covered) and I managed to get the ball to my thrower and open a lane down the field to the goalline. A very fun drive.

I'm starting to use my thrower as a running back principally. I use the blitzers to cover his flanks and pick off enemies to open up holes. The big guys tend to just beat the crap out of the opponent throughout the game, causing a couple injuries and preventing the center from being controlled. I find that the blitzers and thrower are barely fast enough to play defense if I'm not being very attentive to where they are.

I've noticed that the game plays so much differently against different opponents.

Orcs vs. Humans is a more wide open game with mobile humans running all over the field. It's tough to bottle them up; you've gotta knock them down a lot to prevent them from running all over you.

Orcs vs. Dwarves is a very slow moving game. The dwarves are tough to put on the ground and win more blocks than any other side because they all seem to have the "block" ability. They form pockets for their runners and try to push slowly down the field. I found the best way to score against them was to throw lateral passes and fly up the flanks with blitzers. if you allow the dwarven players to shift to the side the ball's on when they have it, you can mount rapid counterattacks this way.

This is one of the best games I've purchased in a while.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #166
Fidatelo
Pro Starter

As much as I love this game, I have one beef: the AI needs to get a patch that teaches it how to tell time. They never play with urgency on the last turn or two of a half or game, and it costs them.

Worst example: my Wood Elves are playing some Dwarfs, I'm up 1-0 late in the second half. The Dwarfs are just beating me to a pulp all over the field, and manage to get their cage past all of my defenders. On the last turn, their ball carrier runs his distance to about 5 squares from the endzone, and has a teammate wide open that is only 2 squares from the endzone (although the throw would be a few squares laterally, so it's about a 4-5 square throw).

Now, Dwarfs suck at throwing/catching, I get that. But it's the last turn and they are down by 1. The only play should be to attempt the pass. Instead, he switches control to his other players and effectively ends the game. On any other turn, that move makes sense. I could not have caught him on my turn, so he was home free. But on the last turn of the game, down 1 (or tied), they need to program in logic that the CPU goes for it regardless of any other circumstances.
"Breakfast? Breakfast schmekfast, look at the score for God's sake. It's only the second period and I'm winning 12-2. Breakfasts come and go, Rene, but Hartford, the Whale, they only beat Vancouver maybe once or twice in a lifetime."
Fidatelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #167
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Once again, I thought I was getting the feel for this game, but things have ramped up on me in the midgame of my human campaign. My opposition's quality of player has picked up, and as such I'm taking more tackles, and the humans' less-than-special armor rating has made my current tactics very costly in the casualty/death department. I've also got a lot of quality players that have been effectively crippled by critical stat losses (6th level blitzers with strengths of 2 are not very effective).
thesloppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #168
Tasan
College Starter

GAH....had a great game going as Humans, we were up against Orcs. I went up 1-0 with 4 moves left. The kick goes a little short, then the graphics go wonky on me and I can't read any dice rolls or menus, and the players look funny. Up to this point, I'd had no issues with the game, it even runs real smooth on my machine. Anyway, I have to be real careful now with die rolls. With the short kick, the Orcs pick up the ball real fast and start moving. The unknown die rolls bite me in the butt with 2 turns to go, as it lets a hole form on the sideline, where the Orcs run it in to score with 1 turn left. We end up tied 1-1. Thankfully I can save the game and get out before it all blows up. Hopefully I don't have this issue again.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #169
Tasan
College Starter

Oh what rule settings are the FOFC online league folks using? The Blitz rules on the left where you can set whatever you want, or the stand version 5.0 rules?

Last edited by Tasan : 07-02-2009 at 02:44 AM.
Tasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 AM   #170
RendeR
Coordinator

The league is using blitz rules with everything I think. Turn based.
RendeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #171
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I finally fired it up last night.

I had no issues with bugs or crashes. *knocks on wood*

The game is pretty much exactly what I hoped it would be: it's the boardgame computerized.

I started out with a quick one-off game to test things out. To get a feel for it. Then I fired up my campaign. I took a human team. The Detroit Argonaughts.

Our first game was against another human team. We were up 1-0 and then fell behind 2-1. My team was getting pounded. I also forgot that, unless you're injured or KO'd, you can stand up. I didn't figure that out until game 2.

We were down 2-1 with only 3 turns left and desperation led to greatness. In Blood Bowl, I love the high-risk, high-reward offense. I love the passing game. Clog up the middle a bit and use your speed to get to the outside. So, my thrower picked up the ball. my blitzers blasted the right side of the field clean. The thrower passed it to the catcher, just like they drew it up in the locker room, and the catcher was off to the races. He sprinted down the sidelines, no one could catch him, and we scored. It ended in a tie.

Game 2 was against the dwarves. We ended up winning 2-0. We suffered some injuries. One of my blitzers has -1 AV and a lineman is now injury prone. I think one of the dwarves died trying to "go for it" (run an extra spaces). He must have had a heart attack or something.

The game is a blast.

I agree with The Winnipeg Bomber, the one thing I'd like to see worked on is the end game AI. Over all the AI is quite solid, but there is no sense of urgency at the end of a game if they are down a score.

I remember reading about customization of characters. Other than choosing a symbol and a base color, I didn't see any other options. Am I missing something? There was a button under the character models for different "skins" (1-3), but they all look identical.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).

Last edited by Honolulu_Blue : 07-02-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Honolulu_Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:39 PM   #172
Calis
College Starter

I think apart from urgency for the AI they really need to work on the order that they do things. I seem them going for very risky moves sometime first off and losing a turn. They seem to make almost random choices for skilling up also. Overall though I'm still screwing up worse than them so I can't complain much about the AI.

There are a few interface issues I have, and hopefully get ironed out. I do wish things would be a little more apparent especially for those of us unfamiliar with the boardgame. There's a lot of rolls that might not be immediately noticeable. I'd like an easier way to see exactly what you need for a dodge roll or more importantly to me it seems like it shows the number needed on a pass but doesn't show what's needed to catch. Not a huge deal, but would be nice to have a little more info. I guess I just need to study the rulebook a little more.

I also don't think I like the Blitz stuff, and kinda wish the FOFC league wasn't using it. Short league though so not a big deal, but after messing with it a bit I've gone back to classic. The equipment and stuff just seems a little too powergamey. Fun to mess with, but there to make some really uber characters. The aging and stuff might be fun though.

In my classic campaign with Chaos though it's really a blast. I was having a great time before, but once you get enough games under your belt to really start specializing guys then it becomes fun. I've got a few level 3 guys now, and my Godsend has been my Extra Arm/Sure Hand Beastman which has finally given me someone I KNOW will actually pick up the ball when I tell him to. Chaos Warriors after a couple levels and having Block/Guard are pretty nasty guys also. I haven't got lucky with any +str or +agi rolls yet though. I'd really love an agility one to create another ballhandler with, and maybe even make him a passer.

Really loving the game.

Finishing up my 2nd season as
Old 07-02-2009, 02:56 PM   #173
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
I haven't got lucky with any +str or +agi rolls yet though. I'd really love an agility one to create another ballhandler with, and maybe even make him a passer.

I have a human blitzer in my campaign who got lucky with TWO +agi rolls, giving him a 5 agility, he's a bad mamajama.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:08 PM   #174
Icy
Pro Starter

Just bought the DVD version that is available in Spain from today. Installing it now at 1am... and got a weeding tomorrow... i hope i won't get too addicted, i need to sleep today.

Icy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #175
BYU 14
Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy View Post
got a weeding tomorrow... i hope i won't get too addicted, i need to sleep today.

To the game or Weeding it up?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #176
thesloppy
Pro Starter

You should be fine, this game goes great with weeding. The sleeping, not so much.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:02 PM   #177
Icy
Pro Starter

Quote:
To the game or Weeding it up?

ROFL, of course i meant wedding.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #178
Marc Vaughan
SI Games

never play someone who brings their own dice

(seriously though I got the floor wiped with me)
Marc Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #179
Tasan
College Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passacaglia View Post
That's a weird "feature" -- is there a way to pause the game at least, so you can leave the computer and come back to it later?

I think I successfully paused in single player by hitting the menu button. It blackens the screen some, but I'm pretty sure the timer stopped. I was able to grab a drink and snack and get back and set up my turn at least.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #180
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasan View Post
I think I successfully paused in single player by hitting the menu button. It blackens the screen some, but I'm pretty sure the timer stopped. I was able to grab a drink and snack and get back and set up my turn at least.

Yeah, hitting the menu button will pause the game as long as you like, but you can't see the board/give any orders.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #181
BYU 14
Coordinator

Started a Dwarf campaign on medium yesterday and sp far I am 4-0-2, with both draws coming against Skaven teams. They make the dwarves look stupid at times with their big agility advantage and ability yo strike fast. In the first game they completed a long pass on the last turn of the game, their Gutter runnner stepped through two defenders and hit both GFI rolls for a 1-1 tie.

In the 2nd game, it was 0-0 on the last turn before half and I tried to pickup a loose ball deep in their territory. I muffed it, they picked it up, dodged out of my tackle zone, dodged another tackle running to near midfield, when hit a Gutter runner over the top of a defender, who easily dodged another of my players and scampered in for a 1-0 lead. I played keep away the second half and ground out a long drive to salvage another 1-1 tie.

You definitely have to be patient with Dwarves, but it is a thing of beauty to overload a side and watch that wedge just plow through a defense.

Had a nice last drive win of my own, tied 0-0 with a Human team, they picked up a loose ball that had bounced off 5 players. I then knocked it loose on my final turn, it bounced into the waiting arms of one of my Blitzers and after 3 knockdowns to clear a path he went house, hitting a GFI at the goaline for the 1-0 win.

This game is a blast!

Last edited by BYU 14 : 07-03-2009 at 09:37 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:52 AM   #182
Icy
Pro Starter

LOOOOVE this game, it's a dream come true.

There are tons of strategical options both managing your team and playing the games, and turn based it perfect for me.

I was going to bring my Ps3 for the holidays with me, but this game in my notebook should be enough. I'm probably going to pick it up for PSP too.

Btw, i have a couple of doubts. In campaign mode, i purchased 15 players, but only 11 play at same time, where/when can you decide your starters? missed that option somewhere. Also, can you do subs once into a match?

Last edited by Icy : 07-03-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #183
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Quote:

There are tons of strategical options both managing your team and playing the games, and turn based it perfect for me.

I was going to bring my Ps3 for the holidays with me, but this game in my notebook should be enough. I'm probably going to pick it up for PSP too.

Btw, i have a couple of doubts. In campaign mode, i purchased 15 players, but only 11 play at same time, where/when can you decide your starters? missed that option somewhere. Also, can you do subs once into a match?

In the board game you could sub at every kick off.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #184
Warhammer
Pro Starter

Dwarves are the anti-Skaven and anti-Elf team. Skaven tend to do better against Dwarves than Elves because they are slightly bashier than Elves with their Stormvermin and Rat-Ogres. Dwarves start pretty fast, but other teams catch up with them over the long haul.

The reason is that most Dwarves start out with some skills, but can only gain additional skills from MVPs or casualties. Even see a Longbeard complete a pass? Case in point. But, if you make some decisions to build up some of your Longbeards and Troll Slayers (runners and blitzers tend to get all the SPPs for TDs and catches) you can build a devastating team.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #185
Eaglesfan27
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhammer View Post
In the board game you could sub at every kick off.

You cab sub at each kickoff in this game as well. Your subs are in the endzone when it tells you to set up your team for the kickoff. You can right click on them and a player you want them to replace.
Eaglesfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #186
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Just bought, downloaded and installed the game....getting ready to boot it up...if you don't hear from me, I have locked myself in the room, playing this game and forgot to eat and have passed out.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:50 AM   #187
Sporkimata
High School JV

Have to agree with everyone I am having a blast with this game. My question though is how do you edit names of players? I have not been able to figure this out yet...
Sporkimata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:27 PM   #188
aran
High School Varsity

Is there a way to turn off instant replays? It's such a stupid thing to see your one move get played out again--the one move that got a player in the endzone. Same with casualties. The animations are fine for watching once, but when the game zooms in and replays, it's just a waste of time.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #189
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkimata View Post
Have to agree with everyone I am having a blast with this game. My question though is how do you edit names of players? I have not been able to figure this out yet...

You have to edit the name before you purchase them.

Go to the buy player screen. BEFORE you buy click on "player details". Then when you're in the player details screen, click on the guy's name and you'll be able to edit it. Edit the name and then click on "buy player" and you're set.
Steve Yzerman: 1,755 points in 1,514 regular season games. 185 points in 196 postseason games. A First-Team All-Star, Conn Smythe Trophy winner, Selke Trophy winner, Masterton Trophy winner, member of the Hockey Hall of Fame, Olympic gold medallist, and a three-time Stanley Cup Champion. Longest serving captain of one team in the history of the NHL (19 seasons).
Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 PM   #190
thesloppy
Pro Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honolulu_Blue View Post
You have to edit the name before you purchase them.

Go to the buy player screen. BEFORE you buy click on "player details". Then when you're in the player details screen, click on the guy's name and you'll be able to edit it. Edit the name and then click on "buy player" and you're set.

You can edit the name after you purchase them too (from the player detail screen), you just have to do it before you start a game.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #191
SirFozzie
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aran View Post
Is there a way to turn off instant replays? It's such a stupid thing to see your one move get played out again--the one move that got a player in the endzone. Same with casualties. The animations are fine for watching once, but when the game zooms in and replays, it's just a waste of time.

You can hit esc after a second to stop them. I don't think there's a way to turn them off.
Old 07-03-2009, 04:53 PM   #192
Calis
College Starter

Looks to be another patch out today. I kept getting an error when I tried to download/install it so I skipped it. Not sure what it addressed.

I definitely underestimated how awesome the 'Kick' skill is. I passed it up for a long time because it's obviously only used on average maybe 3 times a game. Makes a huge difference though, and having some actual control over your kick is great. I've developed a utility Beastman on my team who has Kick and some dirty skills so he's my designated fouler. Really enjoying Chaos still overall. It's tough starting with them, but once you start adding some Block/Guard/Mighty Blow they get to be devastating. Piling on is a great skill as well for bashers, and has helped my causing injury output skyrocket.

I started a Lizardman campaign last night as well to check them out. They were an almost unstoppable force. Really great team. I had my biggest blowout yet my 2nd game with them against a Dwarf team that ended 5-0. 6 Sauruses and their big guy just give you an absolute killer group of bashers and the Skinks are fast little guys that can really make you pay. I imagine that race gets tougher because it'd be hard to level up the Sauruses with their whopping 1 agility. You have to really work and get some luck to score with them, so you have to pray for casualties.

I still can't do worth a crap with Wood Elf or Skaven and that was the style I originally thought I'd like the most. I just haven't figured out how to defend with the Elves.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:27 AM   #193
aran
High School Varsity

Started a human team. I figured I'd run a relatively open offense relying on catchers and my thrower moving the ball to the flanks and busting through holes created by blitzers and linemen. Well, it didn't turn out so well. Against my first opponent, another human team, my catchers both got injured in the first half of the first game. That game ended in a 1-1 draw. I turtled the end of it because I ended up only able to field 9 players. I was down 5 players by the end and my opponent didn't suffer a single injury.

Second game was against dwarves. What a terrible game that ended up being. Dwarves start with the ball and basically just drive directly down the field. As orcs, I could beat on them as much as they beat on me and stalemate them, but with humans I could not keep enough defenders standing to stop them. I couldn't get to their ball carrier. At the end of the first half I break through with a pass to my catcher. Two tiles from the endzone the half ends.

Second half starts nicely. I stack up one side to draw them all over. I guess I should've kept blitzers back to clear the other side, because I just barely couldn't flank them on that side. My players were so busy trying to stay standing on my strong side that I could get anyone over to help out my catcher. I get close to the endzone with my two catchers, only to be foiled on a missed dodge that would've let me tie the game up. While all this is happening, the dwarves have stunned 6 of my players and knocked out 1 and injured 1, so they easily took the ball down the field to score and end the game 2-0. Disgusting.

Perhaps I just had terrible luck tonight. The game against dwarves was very frustrating. I could not withstand their blocks at all. Players were getting knocked prone constantly. It's hard to sustain an attack or a defense when you can only keep half of your team standing at a given time. I'll have to figure out better anti-dwarf tactics.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:47 AM   #194
BYU 14
Coordinator

I am loving Dwarves as they are especially tough early on. Played my first Orc team earlier today though and got a taste of my own medicine, as well as my first loss 1-0. I didn't even enter their territory with the ball until the second to last turn of the game, they were just abusing me.

Their score came when they drew me too far to one side, then their Ball carrier changed direction and popped out the back side, suddenly I could see they had been baiting me as they quickly set a wall and took it down the sideline. The only guy on my team with a chance was one of my runners and he got knocked off the pitch, where the crowd proceeded to beat his ass knocking him out, as the Orcs skipped into the endzone.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #195
thesloppy
Pro Starter

I play human exclusively so far, and have for a good 20-30 games. I play a slightly different style, with decent results, but I certainly wouldn't say I'm breezing through things either, I think the humans are slightly tough to play because they don't have any real strengths, so you can't overwhelm someone with speed or strength. Likewise I don't think the humans are quite fast or agile enough to run open (or I'm too afraid to), so I move in a loose pack. I still rarely throw a pass, even with a bunch of leveled up dudes, unless it's desperation on the last turn (although it sure is fun, when you do it well). I do hand off a lot though (you still get to use your catch bonus on handoffs), which only requires the catch roll, and still allows you to move relatively quickly with some planning. I also tend to find the dwarves the least frustrating because they're so slow and can't dodge for snot..but if they get a lead on you you're in trouble, because they're tougher than the humans for sure (who isn't? grumble grumble).
Old 07-04-2009, 07:59 AM   #196
Honolulu_Blue
Hockey Boy

I play the humans as well. I've played 6 or 7 games so far. I tend to run the offense aran described, relying on my blitzers to be very agressive in opening up holes and relying on my throwers and catchers for the offense. So far, it's worked extremely well. I'm 4-1-1, with my only loss coming against a skaven team that totally caught me unprepared. I was able to make adjustments in the second game against them and made sure I didn't lose track of their gutter runners.

My offense is pretty much entirely funneled through my catcher (he has a +1 movement and has scored more than half of my touchdowns). The rest of the offense goes through the blitzers, since they tend to be around the ball a lot and act as a combination of linebackers and running backs.

I purchased an Ogre, simply 'cause I like the big fellas. He gained a level after his first game and got a +1 strength. I am really enjoying that.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:14 AM   #197
MacroGuru
Coordinator

Hooked is all I can say.

I am running a campaign with a Human team, I won the first cup I played without a loss, and I have yet to lose...however I have a draw with my first game.

I am an open offense, not afraid to pass and I try to strike quick. I have noticed the computer also goes into a stall tactic offense when they are up by 1, which makes it even harder to get the ball back.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM   #198
Icy
Pro Starter

After a couple of exhibition games to figure out the interface, I have started a campaign in medium difficulty/blitz mode with the Orcs. Won my first game vs humans and one of my blitzers was a machine, scoring both rushing TD's. It gave him a lvl up.

I'm really really impressed with all the strategic decisions about your team, skills, level up, stuff to purchase etc. Its way deeper than most of traditional sport games available.

even when i have zero performance issues at max detail, count me on those who would love this game with a 2D top view like wargames or chess, i see no need at all for the 3D as the animations get old after the first game. What i do is to zoom out and put the game from a far top view perspective, so it looks almost 2D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxon View Post
Oh, and I haven't seen it mentioned and I just discovered it but their is a strategy guide pdf in the manual folder. I've just glanced at it but it has information on how to use the players of the various races and a strategy section for match play.

[edit] I think it was a good read. It cleared up some stuff for me and the part where it describes how to set up situations and access the risk was very helpful. I know why a lot of my block situations were failing.

Umm that guide is not in the DVD version, or at least i can't find it. I only have a Manual folder with the pdf manual in different languages inside. That manual is an exactly scan of the printed manual that comes with the DVD version.

Can you please email it to me to icarri at gmail dot com?

Last edited by Icy : 07-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #199
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
I am loving Dwarves as they are especially tough early on. Played my first Orc team earlier today though and got a taste of my own medicine, as well as my first loss 1-0. I didn't even enter their territory with the ball until the second to last turn of the game, they were just abusing me.

Their score came when they drew me too far to one side, then their Ball carrier changed direction and popped out the back side, suddenly I could see they had been baiting me as they quickly set a wall and took it down the sideline. The only guy on my team with a chance was one of my runners and he got knocked off the pitch, where the crowd proceeded to beat his ass knocking him out, as the Orcs skipped into the endzone.

Yeah, Orcs hurt dwarves. Found out the hard way in the FOFC league and I have two more orc teams to go. Yikes.
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM   #200
Axxon
Pro Starter

Quote:
After a couple of exhibition games to figure out the interface, I have started a campaign in medium difficulty/blitz mode with the Orcs. Won my first game vs humans and one of my blitzers was a machine, scoring both rushing TD's. It gave him a lvl up.

I'm really really impressed with all the strategic decisions about your team, skills, level up, stuff to purchase etc. Its way deeper than most of traditional sport games available.

even when i have zero performance issues at max detail, count me on those who would love this game with a 2D top view like wargames or chess, i see no need at all for the 3D as the animations get old after the first game. What i do is to zoom out and put the game from a far top view perspective, so it looks almost 2D.

Umm that guide is not in the DVD version, or at least i can't find it. I only have a Manual folder with the pdf manual in different languages inside. That manual is an exactly scan of the printed manual that comes with the DVD version.

Can you please email it to me to icarri at gmail dot com?

Actually couldn't send. It's 43 megs. Do you have some space I can upload it to instead?

Last edited by Axxon : 07-04-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Axxon is offline   Reply With Quote